What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (3 Viewers)

Knicks have zero shot against the Bulls or Heat. Great game against the Cavs tonight. :thumbsup: If Melo doesn't score, the Knicks have no one else that can create a shot for themselves (or others).

76ers/Ind much scarier in the playoffs. I wouldn't be shocked to see the 76ers oust the Bulls. [i think the Bulls are very lucky they won't have to play the Pacers in the 1st 2 rounds]

Pray we get the first round bye against the Knicks.
Philly has been pretty damn terrible for the last couple months.

My link

Dwight Howard down on coach?

Magic center Dwight Howard has called team owner Rich DeVos to tell him that he won't play for coach Stan Van Gundy anymore, WKMG in Orlando is reporting.

Howard missed his sixth straight game with a back injury Wednesday against the Celtics, and Van Gundy has already said that he is preparing for his big man to miss the rest of the season and the playoffs.

Howard is still upset that Van Gundy publicly said this month that Howard asked management to have him fired, sources told WKMG. According to the report, the 86-year-old DeVos took Howard's call in his suite at the Amway Center sometime during Friday's game against the Hawks.

Uncertainty has dogged the Magic for quite some time. Howard asked management for a trade in the preseason, but after months of speculation he signed a waiver of the opt-out clause in his contract, meaning that he would remain under contract to Orlando at least through next season.
Interesting how all communication between Howard and the Magic gets leaked to the media. :lmao:
Jordan would've had Van Gundy's ### fired long ago.
Let's try not to set the bar to high as far as GM's go.

Knicks have zero shot against the Bulls or Heat. Great game against the Cavs tonight. :thumbsup: If Melo doesn't score, the Knicks have no one else that can create a shot for themselves (or others).

76ers/Ind much scarier in the playoffs. I wouldn't be shocked to see the 76ers oust the Bulls. [i think the Bulls are very lucky they won't have to play the Pacers in the 1st 2 rounds]

And they were pretty good the first couple months.Philly has given Chicago fits the past 2 years [3-3]. They're dangerous as an 8. [Much rather play NYK]

And they were pretty good the first couple months.Philly has given Chicago fits the past 2 years [3-3]. They're dangerous as an 8. [Much rather play NYK]
Philly might not be an ideal matchup for the Bulls, but the Knicks are simply a more talented, better team. Since Melo stopped tanking, they've been hot as well.

Random thoughts:

1) Why didn't the Heat rest LeBron like other teams did with their stars?

2) Nice that there won't be any sub .500 teams in the playoffs (thanks Bobcats!).

3) Will Dwight Howard lose his spot as DPOY due to his turbulent season? I would like to see Chandler, Ibaka or LeBron take it this year.

4) Really surprised Atlanta has been this good without Horford. Definitely didn't see that coming.

Can't wait for the playoffs.

Philly might not be an ideal matchup for the Bulls, but the Knicks are simply a more talented, better team. Since Melo stopped tanking, they've been hot as well.
until melo got to play his brand of individual basketball. until melo wins something at this level...that'll be his legacy -- great individual offensive player and the knicks are going nowhere with it either. shut down melo ... shut down knicks. ask the cavs

Last edited by a moderator:
3) Will Dwight Howard lose his spot as DPOY due to his turbulent season? I would like to see Chandler, Ibaka or LeBron take it this year. 4) Really surprised Atlanta has been this good without Horford. Definitely didn't see that coming. Can't wait for the playoffs.
between chandler and bron. i think brons the best individual defender -- so versatile he can defend nearly anyone.chandlers a great help defender -- i like the fit in ny with the defensively challenged melo amare lin .

until melo got to play his brand of individual basketball. until melo wins something at this level...that'll be his legacy -- great individual offensive player and the knicks are going nowhere with it either. shut down melo ... shut down knicks. ask the cavs
You're pointing to last night's game as proof that the Cavs "shut down Melo"? I'd argue the opposite; the Knicks went away from the Melo first offense trying to work Amare back in and it cost them the game.

You're pointing to last night's game as proof that the Cavs "shut down Melo"? I'd argue the opposite; the Knicks went away from the Melo first offense trying to work Amare back in and it cost them the game.
So it all comes back to...How does Amare make the Knicks better? He is basically an offense only player, but the key to the Knicks winning games is for Melo to take 25 shots. Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

So it all comes back to...How does Amare make the Knicks better? He is basically an offense only player, but the key to the Knicks winning games is for Melo to take 25 shots. Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?
Hes an offense only player that isn't special offensively any more. Amare has officially began his reign as worst contract in the NBA.

yay someone gets it.the knicks aren't doing #### with melo/amare.

If I was Mike Woodson, I'd sit Amare down and tell him that when Melo is on the floor, the offense is going to go through Melo. I'd tell him that the Knicks would be a better team if one of Melo or Amare were on the floor the entire game. So Amare needs to suck up his pride, come off the bench, and ensure that the 12-14 minutes per game that Melo is sitting, Amare is on the hardwood as the #1 option. I'd promise him that he'd still get 28-30 minutes per night, and of course will be on the floor in crunch time.

If I was Mike Woodson, I'd sit Amare down and tell him that when Melo is on the floor, the offense is going to go through Melo. I'd tell him that the Knicks would be a better team if one of Melo or Amare were on the floor the entire game. So Amare needs to suck up his pride, come off the bench, and ensure that the 12-14 minutes per game that Melo is sitting, Amare is on the hardwood as the #1 option. I'd promise him that he'd still get 28-30 minutes per night, and of course will be on the floor in crunch time.
In theory that could work. I don't Amare being as productive coming off the bench. And Amare in at Crunch time isn't a great thing either. His Defense and rebounding are terrible.

Huge loss by Phoenix today. Same story....different year for them. Defies expectations, but still mediocre team that finishes outside playoffs with a poor lotto pick to get a franchise player.

Too bad about that Dragic trade or they could afford to lose Nash this offseason. If he leaves this offseason, Suns will be lucky to win 15 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge loss by Phoenix today. Same story....different year for them. Defies expectations, but still mediocre team that finishes outside playoffs with a poor lotto pick to get a franchise player.Too bad about that Dragic trade or they could afford to lose Nash this offseason. If he leaves this offseason, Suns will be lucky to win 15 games.
Phoenix is just good enough to be decent, but never bad enough to get a high pick.Are they expected to be aggressive this off-season in adding free agents/trade options to persuade Nash to stay and what is their cap situation?What did they get for Dragic? That's going to be an interesting off-season for Houston. Lowry was playing a near all-star level before his virus, and now Dragic is doing the same thing. They probably won't keep both.

Magic are better offensively as whole w/o Howard. Unfortunately, they're garbage on defense w/o him.
That may be true in a smaller sample, and while I don't think Howard is the type of offensive center that he should be, I'm not sure an offense that depends on so much 3 point shooting will continue playing this well. Teams will be able to defend the perimeter better with Howard not on the floor, and as good as Jameer Nelson is playing, I don't see that being long lasting.

The Magic's offense has actually looked better without Dwight. :unsure:
Helps when J.Rich is on fire. This MIGHT just be the first Utah game I've seen in about 2 years. I'm pretty impressed with Al Jefferson.
Utah is an interesting team to watch this off-season. They have made it a priority to add lots of big men with potential (Cantor, and Favors) to go with their already productive veterans of Jefferson and Milsap. I have read that Jefferson is likely to be moved this off-season, and this team does need a more reliable PG. Maybe there's a fit with Houston?

Helps when J.Rich is on fire. This MIGHT just be the first Utah game I've seen in about 2 years. I'm pretty impressed with Al Jefferson.
Utah is an interesting team to watch this off-season. They have made it a priority to add lots of big men with potential (Cantor, and Favors) to go with their already productive veterans of Jefferson and Milsap. I have read that Jefferson is likely to be moved this off-season, and this team does need a more reliable PG. Maybe there's a fit with Houston?
Someone fire up the Rockets trade machine!

Today is the closest thing there is in the regular season to a "must-win" for the Los Angeles Lakers. They have to win to maintain their lead over the Clippers (and for me to win my bet with Dr. Gobbler, btw.) They need to win to avoid a first round matchup against Memphis, which would be problematic, IMO. They have to win to overcome a growing sense that they cannot beat the "elite" teams in the West- one victory against San Antonio vs. 4 blowout losses to Oklahoma City and San Antonio is unconvincing.

If the Lakers lose today, and especially if they get blown out again, then things will be very grim.

Someone fire up the Rockets trade machine!
:starts thinking:

This may be one deal where you can throw Kevin Martins carcass in there to make salaries work.

i hold out for dragic if im Utah. maybe sign/trade if Houston can offer him more money as a rfa. he's made himself a lot of money in lowery absence (he's the best player on Houston)

'cubd8 said:
'Max Power said:
'Premier said:
I hope that isn't true. Jefferson is their best player. A Center who can score with his back to the basket shouldn't be something you just trade away to fill a need. There are a couple mid level guys who will be FAs soon that Utah should bring in. Stockpiling bigs is great, but don't trade the ones who are producing.

Every time the Lakers play the Thunder, Oklahoma City seems to produce one guy who just kills the Lakers. This time it's James Hardin. He can't miss.

The Thunder are simply a much better team than the Lakers. It's clear everytime they play. All of the Lakers' strengths are taken away, and the Lakers can't deal with the Thunder's strengths.

Users who are viewing this thread