What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Jets 2011 Thread (1 Viewer)

njherdfan

Footballguy
Well, after yesterday's loss, it's time to take stock of the Jets, and realize how different this team is going to look next year. Off the top of my head, this is a list of free agents for this off-season

Santonio Holmes (re-signed)

Wayne Hunter (re-signed)

David Harris (re-signed)

Antonio Cromartie (re-signed)

Eric Smith (re-signed)

Nick Folk (re-signed)

Brodney Pool (re-signed)

Brodney Pool (re-signed)

Brad Smith (Buffalo)

Jason Taylor (released, signed with Miami)

Drew Coleman(Jacksonville)

Braylon Edwards (San Francisco)

Shaun Ellis (New England)

James Ihedigbo

SIGNINGS

Plaxico Burress

Donald Strickland

Derrick Mason

Aaron Maybin

They will certainly re-sign one of Holmes or Edwards, and part of me wants them to re-sign them both and cut Cotchery. If Brad Smith gets a big offer, he's gone. I'd like to bring Ellis back for another season or two, and I'd also like to keep Harris, as long as his demands are reasonable. I think Cromartie is gone.

PROBABLE CUTS

Vernon Gholston (definite)

Damien Woody

Kris Jenkins

Jason Taylor (Miami)

LT (Will probably be returning)

Ben Hartsock

Jerrico Cotchery (Pittsburgh)

Woody played very well this year, but the fact that the offense didn't miss a beat with Wayne Hunter might convince the Jets to try and save money at that position next season. They also might want to give Ducasse a shot. Having a healthy Jenkins would be great for the defense, but coming off 2 consecutive ACL surgeries, he will need to re-negotiate down from the 5.5 million he's owed next season.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as they bring back Harris, Edwards, Holmes, and Big Kat (2 year deal or so) then I'm happy.

Wouldn't mind seeing Eric Smith back as well, but not as a starter.

Well....

Last year at this time I was actually much more excited to start this thread...

It's real tough this offseason to get a grasp on what the hell will happen in the NFL.

As for the Jets.... It's funny, you look at a thread about Mark Sanchez and you read about how Sanchez is such the beneficiary of such a great defense. I'll say it again, this defense was a paper tiger all year. This defense LOST games this year while Sanchez made some miracle come backs...

Of course they need a pass rusher. They also need a Safety or 2, Faster Linebackers and a deeper DL rotation.

Funny to say... But, I'm pretty confident at this point in Mark Sanchez working his tail off, taking the next step and the offense being fine next year even without Both Wideouts. (IMO, Braylon is staying and Holmes looks for the Big $$$$$$$)

THE DEFENSE????????? We need Speed, We need Size..

But, I also have faith in Rex as a Defensive coach and the fact that the season went down the tubes with his defense getting dragged around will hopefully be a plus in the long run as he works to get the pieces and continue to build his D.....

Hats off to the Defense for the 2 earlier playoff games - They played 2 Great games.

Hey Maybe THREE playoff Road games is too much for a lot of teams - INDY, NE and then PITT is as tough a road as I've ever seen....

Regardless, I said it all year - This defense needs a fix.

I think Rex did what he did this year on Defense with limited talent... You had Revis in and out and then what???? 2 Guys at Safety floundering around after Leonard went down.. a Journeymen DL and Bart Scott/ David Harris - 2 Pretty good, yet Slow LB's oh yeah, and Cromartie who I imagine will be gone.

Well....

It's real tough this offseason to get a grasp on what the hell will happen in the NFL.

As for the Jets.... It's funny, you look at a thread about Mark Sanchez and you read about how Sanchez is such the beneficiary of such a great defense. I'll say it again, this defense was a paper tiger all year. This defense LOST games this year while Sanchez made some miracle come backs...

Of course they need a pass rusher. They also need a Safety or 2, Faster Linebackers and a deeper DL rotation.

Funny to say... But, I'm pretty confident at this point in Mark Sanchez working his tail off, taking the next step and the offense being fine next year even without Both Wideouts. (IMO, Braylon is staying and Holmes looks for the Big $$$$$$$)

But, I also have faith in Rex as a Defensive coach and the fact that the season went down the tubes with his defense getting dragged around will hopefully be a plus in the long run as he works to get the pieces and continue to build his D.....

Hats off to the Defense for the 2 earlier playoff games - They played 2 Great games.

Hey Maybe THREE playoff Road games is too much for a lot of teams - INDY, NE and then PITT is as tough a road as I've ever seen....

I think Rex did what he did this year on Defense with limited talent... You had Revis in and out and then what???? 2 Guys at Safety floundering around after Leonard went down.. a Journeymen DL and Bart Scott/ David Harris - 2 Pretty good, yet Slow LB's oh yeah, and Cromartie who I imagine will be gone.
If they don't keep both Braylon and Holmes, they might finally start to heavily feature Keller, which I think would be a very good thing.On defense, I want them to draft a a fast LBer who can be an asset in coverage. I appreciate what Harris and Scott do against the run, but neither of them should be on the field in passing downs. And I agree, Cro is gone, and I actually think Kyle Wilson will be pretty good. As for pass rushers, the Jets definitely need one. I like Kamarion Wimbley, and I'm hopeful they can make a run at him during FA.

If they don't keep both Braylon and Holmes, they might finally start to heavily feature Keller, which I think would be a very good thing.On defense, I want them to draft a a fast LBer who can be an asset in coverage. I appreciate what Harris and Scott do against the run, but neither of them should be on the field in passing downs. And I agree, Cro is gone, and I actually think Kyle Wilson will be pretty good. As for pass rushers, the Jets definitely need one. I like Kamarion Wimbley, and I'm hopeful they can make a run at him during FA.
I also think Kyle Wilson is going to be a good one... He got a little messed up this year and it all started with the Revis hold out. Then Revis was back and then Revis was out again.. Kyle's duties were jumbled up for a while there and he never settled in while starting off with a big target on his back.Not every CB can play CB and play Nickel back just as well..... Revis wasn't nearly as good playing that role either...I think Kyle Wilson becomes the talk of the Preseason.. And if you look at last years defense, which was probably better, the Jets had a bit of a black hole at CB2....I think it was in the plan all along to develop Wilson and come back this year without Cro - Spend that money elsewhere and sign a B level CB or 2 for depth... At least we know whatever CB we get will be better at tackling :lmao:Some semblance of a Pass Rush is what the secondary really needs.

If they don't keep both Braylon and Holmes, they might finally start to heavily feature Keller, which I think would be a very good thing.
Agreed..

and for Fantasy purposes, I already have this noted - Winter Leagues already rolling in the Mock forum!!!!!!

Woody played very well this year, but the fact that the offense didn't miss a beat with Wayne Hunter might convince the Jets to try and save money at that position next season.
Hunter is a FA As well, but agree that it may be wiser to resign him and let Woody walk based on age.Personally I hope their top priority is re-signing David Harris and I heard this morning that the Jets and Harris' camp basically had a deal worked out but that it couldn't be signed last season because of the salary cap ramifications going forward. Hopefully it doesn't fall through.I think Cotchery could be gone as well as they are paying him quite a bit for minimal production. I'd rather they spend that money on some combination of Holmes. Edwards and Smith.

Woody played very well this year, but the fact that the offense didn't miss a beat with Wayne Hunter might convince the Jets to try and save money at that position next season.
Hunter is a FA As well, but agree that it may be wiser to resign him and let Woody walk based on age.Personally I hope their top priority is re-signing David Harris and I heard this morning that the Jets and Harris' camp basically had a deal worked out but that it couldn't be signed last season because of the salary cap ramifications going forward. Hopefully it doesn't fall through.I think Cotchery could be gone as well as they are paying him quite a bit for minimal production. I'd rather they spend that money on some combination of Holmes. Edwards and Smith.
I'd love to have Smith back, but as we saw once he went down, his KR production isn't irreplaceable, so his primary value comes as a wildcat QB and special teams player. If he wants Cribbs money, or some team is going to pay him to be a starting wideout, I'm sure he's gone. If we can get him to come back for cheap though, I'd be thrilled.

Well....

Both can be effective blitzers but fail in coverage.

There will be an awful lot of turnover to be sure and I agree that the defense needs an infusion of talent. An outside pass rusher is something this team has lacked since Abraham left. Pace has not been that guy and Gholston was a complete bust. If Gholston still has a roster spot next year i'll be shocked. It's time to go get someone that can get to the QB without bringing the house on a blitz. Harris has to be a priority, and for all the flack Cromartie takes and the stupid things he says, the guy is still a pretty talented CB. He did very well matched up against the right type of WR this year. I wouldn't be adverse to seeing him back. I really hope you guys are right about Wilson and he turns out to be as good as advertised on draft day. The safety position needs to be addressed for sure and DL depth is something I thought they were going to address last draft but never did. I would like to see Jenkins come back for a pay cut, but I could understand why he wouldn't want to. Jason Taylor will likely be gone, but I can't see letting Ellis go when you are already thin at that position.

On the offensive side of the ball I would agree that Woody might have to be a cap casualty, especially given the way Turner played. Line continuity is important, but will all of the $$ they will need to spend it would make financial sense to continue to get younger and save $$ if possible. I just wish I had more confidence that Duccase would be a viable option as insurance for next season, but he is still very raw. Richardson will likely go and O'Conner will take over at FB. I'm excited about Sanchez's development now, I think next year we will really see what he can do. The training wheels seem to fully be off now. With a solid young OL and decent weapons around him his growth is the real key on offense. While the LT experiment was an early success, I think it's time to let Greene carry more of the between the tackles load. I'm not sold on McKnight, but if you can draft or sign another younger RB (what will DeAngelo Williams cost?) who can play on 3rd down then I think you do it. If he's back then i'd like to see his role scaled back the way many expected it to be originally. Brad Smith is a tough one. His value is clear, but as someone else said, if he wants Cribbs money I just can't see the Jets being able to afford to pay him that way. Kyle Wilson was one of the best kick returners in the nation two years ago, so while it would take a dimension away from the offense with the wildcat and i'd hate to see him go, I can't see keeping him if it means having to let another valuable player in the starting 22 go. It should be interesting. The Jets have a lot of young talent to build around and say what you want about Rex and his staff, players seem to be lining up to come here now. When was the last time you could say that about the Jets? Probably when Parcells was here and that's it. It will be interesting to see what they do, but for the first time in a long time I have the confidence in the organization to give them the benefit of the doubt even if they don't make the moves I think they should.

Jets beat writer says that the Jets are a lock to re-sign David Harris. I'm not sure how much money he'll command but with Bart Scott already making 7 million a year, that's quite a bit of money to commit to two linebackers.

On the O line, I think Woody has to go, but Hunter isn't going to be cheap to keep either. His value in the open market has just gone way up. I disagree that the offense didn't miss a beat without Woody however, Hunter is not the run blocker Woody is. Who knows how Woody's achilles injury will heal? I think the Jets could lose both Hunter and Woody.

That would mean Ducasse plays, ready or not. I think Ducasse combined with Moore and Mangold could make that right side of the line dominant again in the running game. What is scary is Ducasse's pass blocking. Connor, who will replace Richardson may have to be included in the offensive pass play scheme if Ducasse struggles. Turner must be retained for depth.

Obviously, either Holmes or Edwards are lost. I think Holmes is more likely to bolt for $ and will be more expensive than Edwards is to keep. Edwards is happy playing for Ryan, and Ryan with him.

Tomlinson may not stick around. Depends on what the CS thinks of McKnight. An FA like Chauncey Washington might be signed again.

I don't see them signing Brad Smith. He simply isn't worth what he'll get in FA elsewhere. Harris is also going to be expensive, and he really isn't a pro bowl type LB. Slow, bad in coverage, no sideline to sideline play making ability, but a quiet leader and solid against the run. A Ryan favorite. I do think Jenkins comes back. Ellis as well for one more year, if they are willing to take pay cuts, which they might.

I believe Ryan will do all he can to get Tannenbaum to find him a pass rushing OLB that can cover, one way or another. Trading drafts picks to move up, finding a vet somewhere, something. I don't know that any of the FA's fit the bill, but maybe Woodley might.

I think they also re-sign Cromartie. I don't think the CS has enough confidence in Wilson, and if Cro goes, where is the depth at CB? They would have to sign another CB anyway. Cromartie cost the Jets a second round pick. They want to keep him.

I think that given all these things, the Jets stand pat at safety with Pool and Leonard and re-sign Smith. J Taylor is gone. Pryce too.

Depending on how it plays out, the mockers who always have the Jets taking a WR in the first round might finally, once and for all be correct. With Holmes and Smith gone, WR would be a glaring need.

Of course who the heck knows anything now, it's even more guesswork with the lack of a CBA.

On the O line, I think Woody has to go, but Hunter isn't going to be cheap to keep either. His value in the open market has just gone way up. I disagree that the offense didn't miss a beat without Woody however, Hunter is not the run blocker Woody is. Who knows how Woody's achilles injury will heal? I think the Jets could lose both Hunter and Woody. That would mean Ducasse plays, ready or not. I think Ducasse combined with Moore and Mangold could make that right side of the line dominant again in the running game. What is scary is Ducasse's pass blocking. Connor, who will replace Richardson may have to be included in the offensive pass play scheme if Ducasse struggles. Turner must be retained for depth.Obviously, either Holmes or Edwards are lost. I think Holmes is more likely to bolt for $ and will be more expensive than Edwards is to keep. Edwards is happy playing for Ryan, and Ryan with him. Tomlinson may not stick around. Depends on what the CS thinks of McKnight. An FA like Chauncey Washington might be signed again. I don't see them signing Brad Smith. He simply isn't worth what he'll get in FA elsewhere. Harris is also going to be expensive, and he really isn't a pro bowl type LB. Slow, bad in coverage, no sideline to sideline play making ability, but a quiet leader and solid against the run. A Ryan favorite. I do think Jenkins comes back. Ellis as well for one more year, if they are willing to take pay cuts, which they might. I believe Ryan will do all he can to get Tannenbaum to find him a pass rushing OLB that can cover, one way or another. Trading drafts picks to move up, finding a vet somewhere, something. I don't know that any of the FA's fit the bill, but maybe Woodley might. I think they also re-sign Cromartie. I don't think the CS has enough confidence in Wilson, and if Cro goes, where is the depth at CB? They would have to sign another CB anyway. Cromartie cost the Jets a second round pick. They want to keep him. I think that given all these things, the Jets stand pat at safety with Pool and Leonard and re-sign Smith. J Taylor is gone. Pryce too. Depending on how it plays out, the mockers who always have the Jets taking a WR in the first round might finally, once and for all be correct. With Holmes and Smith gone, WR would be a glaring need.Of course who the heck knows anything now, it's even more guesswork with the lack of a CBA.
Agree on Harris. Hunter has to come back - Interesting though how Rex has praised him as "the Most athletic OL we have" Right before contract time. I bet Pryce comes back.. he said his body is ready he just needs to get his head ready....I don't see the Jets going WR still unless one falls to them that they can't refuse - At their spot you have to take BAP - I think Rex knows his Defense isn't near what he talked up and he wants and needs a Dominant Defense... The passing game will be ok With Mark's improvement and even a FA WR or 2.Cromartie???? You really have to factor what a complete imbecile this guy is and a liability at tackling... People think Holmes or Braylon are questionable guys??? This guy is Absolutlely LOONEY!!!!!!!You can't give huge money to someone so Looney IMO, I have a ton more faith in the other 2.

“I want to stay here,” Hunter said. “I don’t want to go anywhere else. This is where I matured as a football player, so this is where I want to stay.”

Great Article on

WAYNE HUNTER

On the O line, I think Woody has to go, but Hunter isn't going to be cheap to keep either. His value in the open market has just gone way up. I disagree that the offense didn't miss a beat without Woody however, Hunter is not the run blocker Woody is. Who knows how Woody's achilles injury will heal? I think the Jets could lose both Hunter and Woody. That would mean Ducasse plays, ready or not. I think Ducasse combined with Moore and Mangold could make that right side of the line dominant again in the running game. What is scary is Ducasse's pass blocking. Connor, who will replace Richardson may have to be included in the offensive pass play scheme if Ducasse struggles. Turner must be retained for depth.Obviously, either Holmes or Edwards are lost. I think Holmes is more likely to bolt for $ and will be more expensive than Edwards is to keep. Edwards is happy playing for Ryan, and Ryan with him. Tomlinson may not stick around. Depends on what the CS thinks of McKnight. An FA like Chauncey Washington might be signed again. I don't see them signing Brad Smith. He simply isn't worth what he'll get in FA elsewhere. Harris is also going to be expensive, and he really isn't a pro bowl type LB. Slow, bad in coverage, no sideline to sideline play making ability, but a quiet leader and solid against the run. A Ryan favorite. I do think Jenkins comes back. Ellis as well for one more year, if they are willing to take pay cuts, which they might. I believe Ryan will do all he can to get Tannenbaum to find him a pass rushing OLB that can cover, one way or another. Trading drafts picks to move up, finding a vet somewhere, something. I don't know that any of the FA's fit the bill, but maybe Woodley might. I think they also re-sign Cromartie. I don't think the CS has enough confidence in Wilson, and if Cro goes, where is the depth at CB? They would have to sign another CB anyway. Cromartie cost the Jets a second round pick. They want to keep him. I think that given all these things, the Jets stand pat at safety with Pool and Leonard and re-sign Smith. J Taylor is gone. Pryce too. Depending on how it plays out, the mockers who always have the Jets taking a WR in the first round might finally, once and for all be correct. With Holmes and Smith gone, WR would be a glaring need.Of course who the heck knows anything now, it's even more guesswork with the lack of a CBA.
On the O-line, I agree that it might not even be cheaper at this point to sign Hunter. Woody is due 4.2 and then 5.1 million dollars over the next two seasons. If other teams think Hunter can be a starting OT, he'll probably make a similar amount as a FA, but if they could sign Hunter for less that would be great, and it would save some money, and have Ducasse as the swing lineman. The thing with the Jets OL that might get overlooked is the fact that playing on the same line with Moore, Brick, and Mangold makes any lineman's job much easier.I really wouldn't be upset if Tomlinson leaves. His pass blocking and blitz pickup is nice, but I think McKnight brings to the table will be superior. Ellis will almost certainly be back, IMO.As for a pass-rusher, I really doubt the Steelers let Woodley get away. I think the Jets need to set their sights a little lower, on someone like Wimbley or maybe Aaron Kampman (coming off ACL surgery he'd be cheap). I'm also not sure if the Jets have the ammo to really move up in the draft to get an impact rusher like Von Miller.Brad Smith is probably gone, but I think Cromartie is the big question mark. Let's say that Nnamdi heads back to Oakland and Champ Bailey stays in Denver, there are a few teams (especially Houston) who badly need help in their pass D and might pay Cro like an elite CB, which he isn't. I wouldn't want the Jets to match that.I agree about standing pat on safety, and re-signing Ihedigbo as well, because I think he brings a lot to the table as both a blitzer and special teams player.

I'd love to have Cribbs back, but as we saw once he went down, his KR production isn't irreplaceable, so his primary value comes as a wildcat QB and special teams player. If he wants Cribbs money, or some team is going to pay him to be a starting wideout, I'm sure he's gone. If we can get him to come back for cheap though, I'd be thrilled.
YOU CAN'T HAVE OUR CRIBBS!!! :lmao:

Cromartie is a whacko, but I don't think they trust Wilson, I know I don't. If Cro leaves, who would be the #3 CB? There isn't one. Ryan loves his DB's, and with warts and all, Cromartie allows Ryan to do other things on defense. Without him, or another CB his hands get tied. We already know how bad Lowery, Cole and Coleman are at CB. They can't cover a matchbook fire with a tarp.

I thought I read that Woodley and the Steelers weren't all that happy with each other.

Woody coming off this injury is almost sure to be gone with that contract. Remember Kareem McKenzie and how much the NYG paid him? I can see that happening with Hunter, albiet not for that kind of money, but in the 5 mil a year range. I think Ducasse gets the trial by fire. I think he's there in run blocking. Hunter will demand starting RT $. This will be his big career type contract, and he's young. I also don't think he is the road grader we need on the right side, especially with Ducasse in the wings. Turner is the guy we need to keep.

If Holmes and Smith leave... who is left at WR? Edwards and Cotch, that's it, and Cotch is getting older. WR would be a huge need. I think the Jets could indeed look at WR at 30 in the draft. I think it depends on what they can work out for an OLB, which is the biggest need.

I also saw today the Jets signed 4 PS players... LB Satele and a center and TWO OG's. Not sure what to make of that...

What's your take on the RB situation moving into 2011? I do not see much of the Jets here on the west coast, but have the impression that Greene is not going to get handed the keys anytime soon. Did McKnight develop at all this year?! Did not seem to get much playing time.

Hate to be a downer but ...

[*]The Jets were built to win this year and they didn't.

[*]Lot's of Free agents ... all top players on the team.

[*]A couple of very old key players who will only be a year older if here at all (LT , Taylor)

[*]Plus the fact that Rex is losing all credibility ... predicting the Jets are team to beat and will win the super bowl every year

[*]Not to mention how every break went their way this season ... which typically happens to Super Bowl teams but certainly doesn't happen every year.

[*]No key injuries ... again that doesn't happen every year

[*]A couple of very old key players who will only be a year older if here at all (LT , Taylor)

[*]Plus the fact that Rex is losing all credibility ... predicting the Jets are team to beat and will win the super bowl every year

[*]Not to mention how every break went their way this season ... which typically happens to Super Bowl teams but certainly doesn't happen every year.

Rex is losing credibility? Is that really how you see it? He's been to the AFCC twice out of two tries. That's pretty darned good. They also had some serious injuries on the defense. Jenkins all year, pace and revis for parts of it just off the top of my head. Their starting FS at the end of the season. Taylor to my recollection was supposed to be a situational pass rushed but was forced into a bigger role and played pretty well for an old man. I'm not a jets fan I don't think those are terribly good points. A ton of FAs? Sure. All teams lose some plahers amd gain some players though. Are they rally is worse shape than many othrr team? I haven't checked that. You could be right.

Strongly disagree with the comment on Rex Ryan - it's absurd to say you lose credibility when your prediction to go to the super bowl didn't come true, especially when they were one game and maybe a third-down stop away. I read a lot of talk from players who are going to be free agents who are hinting that they would love to play for Ryan ... this list looks more like wishful thinking than any kind of objective analysis

-Agreed on the first 2 points.-Taylor was pretty mediocre all year other than 1 or 2 key sacks. LT's production is very replaceable.

-Rex losing credibility is just flat out silly. Maybe the doofuses in the media think so, but the locker room and the front office couldn't be more in his corner.

- Every break went their way? That's totally subjective. They had a 3 week stretch where some teams made some bad mistakes which gave the Jets some wins they probably didn't deserve, but I certainly wouldn't call that a case of everything going their way. Hell, just look at week 17. Chiefs choke and Kerry Collins fumbles away a game winning drive against Indy and all of a sudden NY's path to the superbowl became Indy- NE- Pitt instead of KC-Balt-and then potentially Pitt at home.

- And as far as the last point, you clearly didn't watch the Jets this year. They lost their best defensive lineman (Jenkins) 6 plays into the season. They lost the QB of their defense (leonhard) to a fluke leg break 3 days before the NE game and lost their starting RT right when the playoffs started. They also missed Revis for a few games and Pace missed the first month.

Agree with the first 2 points. As we see in this super bowl with the Packers and Steelers, the model for long-term success is to draft and groom home-grown talent. This upcoming year will be a big one for the Jets 2010 draft class. And you're right, the Jets might ahe a down year b/c they will struggle to re-sign all of their top players.Saying Rex lost his credibility is ridiculous. And the Jets did not get every break. Other than the 45-3 game, every game the Jets played was VERY close. Getting "every" break would have entailed winning them all, and keeping Jenkins healthy.

qimqam said:

The entire offense is young except for LT, Woody, and Richardson. The Jets already have replacements.There are a few old players on defense, but they are spare parts.

If you remember correctly, the Jets were "hampered" by the Final Four CBA rules, yet Tannenbaum found a way to get the players he wanted. He's one of the best gms in the game. He will find a way to sign the core guys.

Rex losing credibility is a joke considering two straight trips the Championship game. Not to mention that he once again found a way to get a good defensive performance out of a bunch of JAGs.

No key injuries? Maybe not the Packers, but just perhaps their two most important players on defense outside of Revis: NT Jenkins and Jim Leonhard who makes all the secondary calls. They lost their RT Woody, Revis missed a few games and had a bad hammy all year long, plus Mangold and Sanchez played hurt.

TLEF316 said:
qimqam said:

-Agreed on the first 2 points.-Taylor was pretty mediocre all year other than 1 or 2 key sacks. LT's production is very replaceable.

-Rex losing credibility is just flat out silly. Maybe the doofuses in the media think so, but the locker room and the front office couldn't be more in his corner.

- Every break went their way? That's totally subjective. They had a 3 week stretch where some teams made some bad mistakes which gave the Jets some wins they probably didn't deserve, but I certainly wouldn't call that a case of everything going their way. Hell, just look at week 17. Chiefs choke and Kerry Collins fumbles away a game winning drive against Indy and all of a sudden NY's path to the superbowl became Indy- NE- Pitt instead of KC-Balt-and then potentially Pitt at home.

- And as far as the last point, you clearly didn't watch the Jets this year. They lost their best defensive lineman (Jenkins) 6 plays into the season. They lost the QB of their defense (leonhard) to a fluke leg break 3 days before the NE game and lost their starting RT right when the playoffs started. They also missed Revis for a few games and Pace missed the first month.
Either the first post is just :mellow: or he has no clue. 1. The Jets were built to win this year, and they will be built to win in 2011 too. This FO is very good, last year finding a way to work around the final 4 CBA restrictions as NYRAGE stated.

2. Yes, lots of FA's, but still there is a young core to build around. Sanchez keeps improving, the O line looks like it will remain a top unit for several years, Keller and Greene come back, one of the two WR's, likely Edwards will get signed. Cromartie might go, might not, and Wilson going into his second year could step in. Harris will get re-signed.

3. Tomlinson was great but as the season wore on, so did he. Very replaceable, in fact I hope he goes. Taylor is nothing more than a role player, but the team desperately needs an upgrade at OLB. If you want to talk about imporant FA losses, go the RT. Woody is likely gone having been lost for the season late with an achilles. Hunter stepped in but could be lured away. A lot of teams will be willing to over pay him after he filled in for Woody and did a commendable job. Ducasse may be forced to start before he's ready, but has great upside.

4. Ryan losing credibility? Wishfull thinking I'd say. After the loss to PIT, he still said he thought the team was good enough to win a Super Bowl. It's simply his coaching style. Two consecutive trips to the AFC Ch. game, and he loses credibility? No.

5. This is so stupid it doesn't even deserve a response. If the Jets got every break, Pool is a half an inch closer to Rothlisberger's last pass in the championship game and it goes incomplete, the Jets get the ball back. Every break, eh? I could go on for a page on this silly comment.

6. Injuries? Gimmee a break. Jenkins, Woody, Leonard, all lost for the season. Revis, Holmes, Pace all missed at least 4 games each. Sanchez played hurt. Moore played hurt and gets surgery. Mangold was hampered with a shoulder all year. Revis was bothered with a hammy more than half the season. There were role players that missed games as well. Not a devastating year, but not injury free, that's for sure.

The bait was very stinky, but I bit anyway.

I'd imagine the first order of business would be to renegotiate Sanchez's deal. The Jets are going to have a VERY tough time resigning key free agents with the QB accounting for $17.5 million on the 2011 cap.

qimqam said:
While i hesitate to even respond to your post since its so obviously antagonistic (from a bitter Giants fan), but this is just silly.Kris Jenkins and Jim Leohnard are very improtant team leaders and big time contributors to the defense - Jenkins is probably the second most improtant part of teh defense. Darrelle Revis missed 3-4 games with a hamstring injury. Damien Woody was a vital part of the running attack and was lost for the end of the season and for the Steelers game. Brad Smith a dynamite special teams player and the key to the Jets Wild Cat packages missed the Pats game and was ineffective against the Steelers.

There may be more.

TLEF316 said:
qimqam said:

Either the first post is just :boxing: or he has no clue. 1. The Jets were built to win this year, and they will be built to win in 2011 too. This FO is very good, last year finding a way to work around the final 4 CBA restrictions as NYRAGE stated.

2. Yes, lots of FA's, but still there is a young core to build around. Sanchez keeps improving, the O line looks like it will remain a top unit for several years, Keller and Greene come back, one of the two WR's, likely Edwards will get signed. Cromartie might go, might not, and Wilson going into his second year could step in. Harris will get re-signed.

3. Tomlinson was great but as the season wore on, so did he. Very replaceable, in fact I hope he goes. Taylor is nothing more than a role player, but the team desperately needs an upgrade at OLB. If you want to talk about imporant FA losses, go the RT. Woody is likely gone having been lost for the season late with an achilles. Hunter stepped in but could be lured away. A lot of teams will be willing to over pay him after he filled in for Woody and did a commendable job. Ducasse may be forced to start before he's ready, but has great upside.

4. Ryan losing credibility? Wishfull thinking I'd say. After the loss to PIT, he still said he thought the team was good enough to win a Super Bowl. It's simply his coaching style. Two consecutive trips to the AFC Ch. game, and he loses credibility? No.

5. This is so stupid it doesn't even deserve a response. If the Jets got every break, Pool is a half an inch closer to Rothlisberger's last pass in the championship game and it goes incomplete, the Jets get the ball back. Every break, eh? I could go on for a page on this silly comment.

6. Injuries? Gimmee a break. Jenkins, Woody, Leonard, all lost for the season. Revis, Holmes, Pace all missed at least 4 games each. Sanchez played hurt. Moore played hurt and gets surgery. Mangold was hampered with a shoulder all year. Revis was bothered with a hammy more than half the season. There were role players that missed games as well. Not a devastating year, but not injury free, that's for sure.

For an outsider without all the info, I can kinda see that point of view...

His biggest mistake that I see often is the point that all the FA's were signed as WIN NOW players..

I said all year that that was the wrong way to look at it.. Just because JT and LT are HOF players and huge names doesn't mean they are top Jet players - Both were signed as BACKUPS - Both IMO, were hold the fort players. Though I do think LT filled in nicely as a locker room leader.

The Jets needed a backup RB and a backup DE/LB - They just so happened to fill those spots with Big names but still cheap... yet, the average fan sees these names and goes "OMG THE JETS BETTER WIN NOW!!!!111!"

As for the Breaks, yeah, the Jets had a few like a lot of good teams do.. They also IMO never got on a roll and played to their potential to me especially on defense except for the 2 Playoff games.

Injuries, have been gone over.....

IMO, the Jets keep the offense on the upward climb... i think the defense is going to have to be Rex's pet project and is need of some overhaul but, again,I never thought they were that good so I see opportunity and trust in Rex'....

The Jets NEED home field... Going thru Indy / NE / Pitt is damn near impossible for any team.

And I think that's exactly what we saw in Pitt, a team that was on the road for a lot of games to finish the season and a team that was not at the same energy level.

What does concern me most next year is all the talent in the AFC...

Pitt could be even better next year with an OL and Ben all season.

Indy could be better next year with all their weapons back

NE could be better next year with 32 draft picks and some guys growing up

SD should be better.....

Ravens - we'll see what happens on D.

Lack of Draft picks is the other concern.

It's not easy and that's why the loss last week is still painful.

That locker room mix of player this year was really special - they played together and had a bond like I've never seen.

That's all REX... And not only is he no where near losing credibility, he's close to having a statue built in his honor going to 2 Championship games in his 1st 2 years with a rookie QB.

I'd imagine the first order of business would be to renegotiate Sanchez's deal. The Jets are going to have a VERY tough time resigning key free agents with the QB accounting for $17.5 million on the 2011 cap.
Honestly, the Jets are more likely to try to re-negotiate with Revis, because he's due an option bonus of 18 million dollars this coming season so his cap number will be insane. They signed the original deal just to get him to camp, but I think they might try and sign him to a more realistic 5 or 6 year deal with a more reasonable cap number (12-15 million per season) which would free up money. As for Sanchez, I think the Jets are totally committed to having him as their franchise QB. With that in mind, look at the contracts that other franchise QBs got on their second deals. They're huge, so Sanchez's deal pretty much falls into place with them. I'm not saying that he's as good as those QBs with the huge deals (Manning, Manning, Brady, Brees, Roeth, Rivers, etc) but hes going to say that he's entitled to be paid on a similar scale.

TLEF316 said:
qimqam said:

Either the first post is just :) or he has no clue. 1. The Jets were built to win this year, and they will be built to win in 2011 too. This FO is very good, last year finding a way to work around the final 4 CBA restrictions as NYRAGE stated.

3. Tomlinson was better than Greene throughout the season and in the playoffs ... In fact Greene has to be considered a big disappointment after not being able to hold off an aging RB and having more fumbles than TDs (4) for his career.His avg dropped by a yd per carry and the Jets Running game in general was not very good.

4. Ryan didn't say that he would make it to the Superbowl he guaranteed 2 years in a row that they would win it. Say what you want but eventually fans , media and players will lose all respect for the boy who cried "Superbowl Champs"

5. They weren't even in the game until Pitt got conservative ... the score was no indication of the beating they actually took.

6. Jenkins hasn't played in 2 years and likely will never play for the Jets again , Leanord is not the Def QB Harris is ... uh was. All of there injuries and suspensions were in the beginning of the year and actually worked to their advantage having rested players late in the year.

I also have a feeling that Tanny will lock up most of the teams FA's - only one I think they'll lose is Holmes....one strike away from suspension and I think he goes for the most cash unlike Braylon.

qimqam said:
3. Tomlinson was better than Greene throughout the season and in the playoffs ... In fact Greene has to be considered a big disappointment after not being able to hold off an aging RB and having more fumbles than TDs (4) for his career.

His avg dropped by a yd per carry and the Jets Running game in general was not very good.

LT is a Vocal Locker room leader - I think he really stepped up in that regard and in turn the Jets fed him the ball.... IMO, to a fault at times, especially in the Pitt game.

But, LT is under contract for next year and cheap.. If the Jets want him he's theirs...

Personally I think Greene is terrific and will make the next step but, I'd still like to see a shared role wether that's LT or not... It had nothing at all to do with holding anyone off, it was a shared role from the start.

The Jets OL is pretty good so, I'm not that worried about any of this. Jets were 4th in the NFL, I think thats "good"

4. Ryan didn't say that he would make it to the Superbowl he guaranteed 2 years in a row that they would win it. Say what you want but eventually fans , media and players will lose all respect for the boy who cried "Superbowl Champs"

Meh... His players Cried for him.. His players wanted to win FOR HIM.... Personally, I've never seen anything like it before - the bond that these guys had... THEY KNOW what Ryan means when he talks Super Bowl.... He wants every person associated with the Jets believing in the Super Bowl and focused on the Super Bowl... Media and rival fans can take that for whatever they want and pretend the players are on the edge of revolt...

I see players wanting to play for Rex.

I see other coaches like Raheem Morris say the same exact things yet people don't get all excited....

5. They weren't even in the game until Pitt got conservative ... the score was no indication of the beating they actually took.

IMO, the Jets didn't match the Steelers intensity - The Jets need to get home field and play one less game...

When the Playoff road was layed out and the Jets road was INDY NE PITT I don't think many people, even Jets fan thought they could win all those games on the road.

IMO Beating INDY AND NE on the road is MONUMENTAL....

The Jets last 8 games of the year included: 2 @ Pitt, 2 @ NE, 1 @ IND and 1 @ CHI

THAT is the kind of stuff that people really need to look at... That, my friend is BRUTAL for any team 6 games On the road 6 games against 3 of the Final 8 Playoff teams In Their House!!!!!!!!!!

Win or lose those games take a toll.... Put that up against any other team.

They came out flat and I credit the Steelers with a game plan that IMO took advantage of a team that was a little beaten down coming in and smacked them in the mouth with Big Formations.

6. Jenkins hasn't played in 2 years and likely will never play for the Jets again , Leanord is not the Def QB Harris is ... uh was. All of there injuries and suspensions were in the beginning of the year and actually worked to their advantage having rested players late in the year.

Jenkins may play again.... Either way the Jets better not count on him again.

But, his injury was a complete fluke falling over another player - Who's to say in that game that it's not Ngata instead of Jenkins and then we get to see that Ravens Defense play all year without their beast in the middle??????

Jenkins looked absolutley great in the preseason and the Jets rolled with it just like the Ravens counted on Ngata......The Jets defense needs beef in the middle. People considered this defense to be real good. I never did - I still can't wait to see what they can do with a pass rusher and some Beef...

As for Leonard - It's debateable who is the captian of the D... But, it's not debateable who was the captain of the secondary - the Jets had 3 new starters in the secondary and started off with Revis in and out of the lineup - they never truly got settled.

They finally played to their potential Vs NE and INDY in the playoffs....
Good stuff!!!!!!!

I think the contrarian view allows some good discussion.....

There will be a lot of change going into next season... But, as a fan, I'm confident in The QB, OL, TE and some decent WR's..... On defense I'm confident in Rex as a coach adding to what he has already and hopefully finding a pass rusher...

I also think people get way too excited over name players and change - this time last year people absolutley freaked out that the jets OL loast Faneca anf the team lost it's leader in Thomas Jones..

But, I think the Jets, and most teams feel they need to continue to change each year and replace a veteran here and there with a cheaper alternative...

I said Faneca for Slauson would work out and I remember after week 1 how all the media and everyone was all over Slauson cuz he coudn't handle Ngata in his 1st game - REALLY?????

Guy came a long way...

The New York Jets cam a long way.

qimqam said:
3. Tomlinson was better than Greene throughout the season and in the playoffs ... In fact Greene has to be considered a big disappointment after not being able to hold off an aging RB and having more fumbles than TDs (4) for his career.

His avg dropped by a yd per carry and the Jets Running game in general was not very good.

LT is a Vocal Locker room leader - I think he really stepped up in that regard and in turn the Jets fed him the ball.... IMO, to a fault at times, especially in the Pitt game.

But, LT is under contract for next year and cheap.. If the Jets want him he's theirs...

Personally I think Greene is terrific and will make the next step but, I'd still like to see a shared role wether that's LT or not... It had nothing at all to do with holding anyone off, it was a shared role from the start.

The Jets OL is pretty good so, I'm not that worried about any of this. Jets were 4th in the NFL, I think thats "good"

Meh... His players Cried for him.. His players wanted to win FOR HIM.... Personally, I've never seen anything like it before - the bond that these guys had... THEY KNOW what Ryan means when he talks Super Bowl.... He wants every person associated with the Jets believing in the Super Bowl and focused on theSuper Bowl... Media and rival fans can take that for whatever they want and pretend the players are on the edge of revolt...

I see other coaches like Raheem Morris say the same exact things yet people don't get all excited....

IMO, the Jets didn't match the Steelers intensity - The Jets need to get home field and play one less game...

When the Playoff road was layed out and the Jets road was INDY NE PITT I don't think many people, even Jets fan thought they could win all those games on the road.

The Jets last 8 games of the year included: 2 @ Pitt, 2 @ NE, 1 @ IND and 1 @ CHI

THAT is the kind of stuff that people really need to look at... That, my friend is BRUTAL for any team 6 games On the road 6 games against 3 of the Final 8 Playoff teams In Their House!!!!!!!!!!

They came out flat and I credit the Steelers with a game plan that IMO took advantage of a team that was a little beaten down coming in and smacked them in the mouth with Big Formations.

But, his injury was a complate fluke falling over another player - Who's to say in that game that it's not Ngata instead of Jenkins and then we get to see that Ravens Defense play all year without their beast in the middle??????

Jenkins looked absolutey great inthe preseason and the Jets rolled with it just like the Ravens counted on Ngata......The Jets defense needs beef in the middle. People considered this defense to be real good. I never did - I still can't wait to see what they can do with a pass rusher and some Beef...

As for Leonard - It's debateable who is the captian of the D... But, it's not debateable who was the captain of the secondary - the Jets had 3 new starters in the secondary and started off with Revis in and out of the lineup - they never truly got settled.

Good stuff!!!!!!!

There will be a lot of change going into next season... But, as a fan, I'm confident in The QB, OL, TE and some decent WR's..... On defense I'm confident in Rex as a coach adding to what he has already and hopefully finding a pass rusher...

I also think people get way too excited over name players and change - this time last year people absolutley freaked out that the jets OL loast Faneca anf the team lost it's leader in Thomas Jones..

But, I think the Jets, and most teams feel they need to continue to change each year and replace a veteran here and there with a cheaper alternative...

I said Faneca for Slauson would work out and I remember after week 1 how all the media and everyone was all over Slausoon cuz he coudn't handel Ngata in his 1st game - REALLY?????

Guy came a long way...

Agree with most of this stuff, although I do think Slauson was the worst OL of the bunch, but considering it was his 1st year starting, and he was a 6th round pick, that's not a surprise. I wouldn't call the 2.5 million LT is due "cheap" and unless he is willing to take a pay cut, I'd like to see McKnight take over that role. I agree that losing Jenkins sucks, especially because of his ability to collapse the pocket on passing downs which makes the job of pass rushers easier. For as good as Pouha and DeVito are against the run, they offer very little as pass rushers.

Going into next year, the Jets should at least be good, because they will have a very good OL, a good running game, Keller, and a developing Sanchez, and the defense should be good as well.. There's no guarantee that they'll make the AFCCG again, but there's no reason that winning at least 9 games shouldn't be the norm.

qimqam said:

Meh... His players Cried for him.. His players wanted to win FOR HIM.... Personally, I've never seen anything like it before - the bond that these guys had... THEY KNOW what Ryan means when he talks Super Bowl.... He wants every person associated with the Jets believing in the Super Bowl and focused on theSuper Bowl... Media and rival fans can take that for whatever they want and pretend the players are on the edge of revolt...

But, his injury was a complate fluke falling over another player - Who's to say in that game that it's not Ngata instead of Jenkins and then we get to see that Ravens Defense play all year without their beast in the middle??????

Jenkins looked absolutey great inthe preseason and the Jets rolled with it just like the Ravens counted on Ngata......The Jets defense needs beef in the middle. People considered this defense to be real good. I never did - I still can't wait to see what they can do with a pass rusher and some Beef...

Good stuff!!!!!!!

I said Faneca for Slauson would work out and I remember after week 1 how all the media and everyone was all over Slausoon cuz he coudn't handel Ngata in his 1st game - REALLY?????

Guy came a long way...

Agree with most of this stuff, although I do think Slauson was the worst OL of the bunch, but considering it was his 1st year starting, and he was a 6th round pick, that's not a surprise. I wouldn't call the 2.5 million LT is due "cheap" and unless he is willing to take a pay cut, I'd like to see McKnight take over that role. I agree that losing Jenkins sucks, especially because of his ability to collapse the pocket on passing downs which makes the job of pass rushers easier. For as good as Pouha and DeVito are against the run, they offer very little as pass rushers.

Going into next year, the Jets should at least be good, because they will have a very good OL, a good running game, Keller, and a developing Sanchez, and the defense should be good as well.. There's no guarantee that they'll make the AFCCG again, but there's no reason that winning at least 9 games shouldn't be the norm.
If they don't win at least 10 games next year i'll be thoroughly disappointed. Especially with an 18 game schedule. ;)

Word coming out of Jets camp is that they want to give David Harris the franchise tag if they can't come to a long-term deal. As much as I like Harris, I really don't like the idea of giving him 10 million dollars for the next season. For a linebacker who is so poor in coverage, giving him so much money seems irresponsible. Hopefully some kind of long term deal can be reached for a more reasonable amount of money. If he's franchised the Jets will have 18 million dollars tied up in him and Bart Scott next season, which doesn't seem like the best allocation of funds.

Word coming out of Jets camp is that they want to give David Harris the franchise tag if they can't come to a long-term deal. As much as I like Harris, I really don't like the idea of giving him 10 million dollars for the next season. For a linebacker who is so poor in coverage, giving him so much money seems irresponsible. Hopefully some kind of long term deal can be reached for a more reasonable amount of money. If he's franchised the Jets will have 18 million dollars tied up in him and Bart Scott next season, which doesn't seem like the best allocation of funds.
Tagging Harris may be a very good thing. If they let him walk, who plays next to Scott? There isn't much out there in FA for a 3-4 ILB. Why throw a ton of money in a long term deal for a slow ILB like Harris? He could be a one year stop gap. The Jets need more speed across the board at LB. I'm not sure I want Harris long term given that Scott isn't good in coverage either. On the other hand, we have no one to plug in for Harris if he walks. I am more worried about the defense heading into next year. Cracks were definitely showing up this past year, and unless they can sign a Woodley, the LB's remain a weak spot. Teams know to throw against the Jets over the middle, our LB's can't cover. Our safeties lack coverage skills too. Without Jenkins, there isn't a dominating player on the entire defensive unit excepting Revis, but teams avoid throwing at him and remove him from games. Cromartie is fast but has concrete in his hips. Is Wilson ready? Pool is an FA too, isn't he? Tannenbaum has his work cut out for him, and I don't know how many more rabbits he has left in his hat. This defense could be very vulnerable next year. Sanchez may have to make another huge leap in his play, as I see this team being in many more high scoring games in 2011, if we have a season.

For what it's worth, the Jets have officially franchise-tagged David Harris. Let's hope this is just a prelude to getting him locked up to a more reasonable long-term deal, but I can't really complain about making a point to keep the players your team drafted.

Tagging Harris may be a very good thing. If they let him walk, who plays next to Scott? There isn't much out there in FA for a 3-4 ILB. Why throw a ton of money in a long term deal for a slow ILB like Harris? He could be a one year stop gap. The Jets need more speed across the board at LB. I'm not sure I want Harris long term given that Scott isn't good in coverage either. On the other hand, we have no one to plug in for Harris if he walks. I am more worried about the defense heading into next year. Cracks were definitely showing up this past year, and unless they can sign a Woodley, the LB's remain a weak spot. Teams know to throw against the Jets over the middle, our LB's can't cover. Our safeties lack coverage skills too. Without Jenkins, there isn't a dominating player on the entire defensive unit excepting Revis, but teams avoid throwing at him and remove him from games. Cromartie is fast but has concrete in his hips. Is Wilson ready? Pool is an FA too, isn't he? Tannenbaum has his work cut out for him, and I don't know how many more rabbits he has left in his hat. This defense could be very vulnerable next year. Sanchez may have to make another huge leap in his play, as I see this team being in many more high scoring games in 2011, if we have a season.
The big reason teams could throw over the middle was the over-reliance on the blitz. Without a blitz, they had a very, very soft pass rush. To me the biggest need, more than coverage in the LB, is that pass rush. Get an edge rusher who can really disrupt the pocket, and the entire defense benefits. The LB's won't look so bad if you can keep them all home more often than not. Not sure if they can get an edge rusher, though - those guys are tough to get.

Tagging Harris may be a very good thing. If they let him walk, who plays next to Scott? There isn't much out there in FA for a 3-4 ILB. Why throw a ton of money in a long term deal for a slow ILB like Harris? He could be a one year stop gap. The Jets need more speed across the board at LB. I'm not sure I want Harris long term given that Scott isn't good in coverage either. On the other hand, we have no one to plug in for Harris if he walks. I am more worried about the defense heading into next year. Cracks were definitely showing up this past year, and unless they can sign a Woodley, the LB's remain a weak spot. Teams know to throw against the Jets over the middle, our LB's can't cover. Our safeties lack coverage skills too. Without Jenkins, there isn't a dominating player on the entire defensive unit excepting Revis, but teams avoid throwing at him and remove him from games. Cromartie is fast but has concrete in his hips. Is Wilson ready? Pool is an FA too, isn't he?

Tannenbaum has his work cut out for him, and I don't know how many more rabbits he has left in his hat. This defense could be very vulnerable next year. Sanchez may have to make another huge leap in his play, as I see this team being in many more high scoring games in 2011, if we have a season.
The big reason teams could throw over the middle was the over-reliance on the blitz. Without a blitz, they had a very, very soft pass rush. To me the biggest need, more than coverage in the LB, is that pass rush. Get an edge rusher who can really disrupt the pocket, and the entire defense benefits. The LB's won't look so bad if you can keep them all home more often than not. Not sure if they can get an edge rusher, though - those guys are tough to get.
:kicksrock: They really could use a good pass-rusher, but IDK where he would come from. They picked up Cody Brown, the Cards 2nd round pick in '09 who was a very good pass rusher in college. I'm hopeful he can contribute something, but there's no guarantee, and it's not like the Jets will have the money to go after the more expensive FAs.

Lots of Rumors about Cromartie not being re-signed.

I said earlier in the thread that I didn't think he would be back.......

I'm ALL-IN now, I don't want him back..... Guy is Way too much of a loose cannon... Guy might be the dumbest player in the league.....

Again, the Jets had a defense that was just as good the year before with less talent at CB2....

At this point I'd rather see them lock up the WR"s over Cromartie, hopefully find a Pass rusher and then let Rex do his thing with the defense....

I'd also be real curious to see where Cromartie lands and how those fans react..... His talent is overrated IMO, yeah, he can fly down the field with a tall WR but, he can also be tricked out of his shoes at the drop of a hat or commit a bad penalty, I'd rather have a smart CB that holds his own and a better pass rush...

Kyle Wilson will be fine..... Just get some depth.

Not even sure where Cromartie could fit in, he's a ticking time bomb PERIOD... Maybe Oakland?

Lots of Rumors about Cromartie not being re-signed.

I said earlier in the thread that I didn't think he would be back.......

I'm ALL-IN now, I don't want him back..... Guy is Way too much of a loose cannon... Guy might be the dumbest player in the league.....

Again, the Jets had a defense that was just as good the year before with less talent at CB2....

At this point I'd rather see them lock up the WR"s over Cromartie, hopefully find a Pass rusher and then let Rex do his thing with the defense....

I'd also be real curious to see where Cromartie lands and how those fans react..... His talent is overrated IMO, yeah, he can fly down the field with a tall WR but, he can also be tricked out of his shoes at the drop of a hat or commit a bad penalty, I'd rather have a smart CB that holds his own and a better pass rush...

Kyle Wilson will be fine..... Just get some depth.

Not even sure where Cromartie could fit in, he's a ticking time bomb PERIOD... Maybe Oakland?
Agreed. If they can add an impact pass rusher (not an esy things to do), the second CB isn't that big of a deal. Wilson can develop into an adequate enough cover guy as long as the Jets get some consitent pressure.I'd rather spend the Cromartie money elsewhere.

Word just came out that the Jets have cut Jenkins, Woody, Gholston, and Taylor. I'd love to have Jenkins back if he'll take a pay cut, but we'll see if another team is willing to pay him more and trust his knees.

Schefter's twitter:

Vernon Gholston had a $9 million escalator clause in his contract for one sack or forced fumble or fumble recovery. Never got it.

All those moves were expected.... If Woody is healthy maybe he comes back but, the Jets do have depth on the OL and some good talent...

Interesting take on the Jets flexibilty and Sanchez' contract... Sounds like, contrary to what some claim, they have a lot of flexibility...

Jets Cap

So where does the team stand after all these moves?

In terms of budgeting they have now chopped $14,895,000 off the books, a significant chunk of change to use to re-sign Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes. They should chop off about $19,208,333 off the cap figure in 2011. If the information I have about the money being accelerated is wrong then the figure will be $10,581,666 in cap room created by the moves. Once you factor in David Harris' franchise number the Jets cap figure should be around $110 million when the free agency period begins. That is about $13 million lower than where the 2009 cap would have been had it been a regular NFL season. In the worst case scenario they would be at $119 million if there is dead money brought forward from these cuts.

The team still has significant leeway with their cap in 2011 with QB Mark Sanchez carrying a cap charge of over $17 million, a number that can easily be reduced by converting salary into signing bonus bonus. In addition, Bryan Thomas would give the Jets another $3.2 million in room if released. So the bottom line is the Jets should have a tremendous amount of flexibility with what they decide to do in 2011.

Schefter's twitter:Vernon Gholston had a $9 million escalator clause in his contract for one sack or forced fumble or fumble recovery. Never got it.
I was going to post this. This is incredible that he never got ANY type of impact plays, even by accident.

All those moves were expected.... If Woody is healthy maybe he comes back but, the Jets do have depth on the OL and some good talent...

Interesting take on the Jets flexibilty and Sanchez' contract... Sounds like, contrary to what some claim, they have a lot of flexibility...

Jets Cap

So where does the team stand after all these moves?

In terms of budgeting they have now chopped $14,895,000 off the books, a significant chunk of change to use to re-sign Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes. They should chop off about $19,208,333 off the cap figure in 2011. If the information I have about the money being accelerated is wrong then the figure will be $10,581,666 in cap room created by the moves. Once you factor in David Harris' franchise number the Jets cap figure should be around $110 million when the free agency period begins. That is about $13 million lower than where the 2009 cap would have been had it been a regular NFL season. In the worst case scenario they would be at $119 million if there is dead money brought forward from these cuts.

The team still has significant leeway with their cap in 2011 with QB Mark Sanchez carrying a cap charge of over $17 million, a number that can easily be reduced by converting salary into signing bonus bonus. In addition, Bryan Thomas would give the Jets another $3.2 million in room if released. So the bottom line is the Jets should have a tremendous amount of flexibility with what they decide to do in 2011.
It's nice to hear this about flexibility. Also, the Jets might be able to sign Harris to a long-term deal which would cut his cap number, and Hartsock might be cut as well.

Schefter's twitter:Vernon Gholston had a $9 million escalator clause in his contract for one sack or forced fumble or fumble recovery. Never got it.
I was going to post this. This is incredible that he never got ANY type of impact plays, even by accident.
It's amazing that he couldn't get someone to be Brett Favre to his Michael Strahan. They beat Buffalo 38-7 in the last week of the season. Brian Brohm was sacked three times, threw three picks, and they had three other turnovers. You think he wouldn't have taken $100K to go down easy? $500K? $1 million? Come on Vernon, how did you not pull this off?

Great Article on Rex and the effect of Hard Knocks....

I laugh when "Football Fans" don't Get what Rex is all about...

REX

"I love Coach Ryan and the way he gets his players going," Pinkston said here last week at the NFL's scouting combine. "I'd love to play for a coach like that."

Users who are viewing this thread