What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Jets 2011 Thread (1 Viewer)

'Fensalk said:
'Chase Stuart said:
It looks like Buffalo is fading fast, which basically means it's a two-team race between the Jets and Bengals. Cincinnati currently has a one-game lead.
You could just as easily say it looks like the Jets are fading fast, which basically means its a two-team race between the Bills and Bengals. Both the Bills and Jets are 5-5.
Well, Sunday will tell....But, the Bills have been the Jets punching bag for the last few matchups and the Bills are beaten up already... That was a tough 5 days for the Jets Sunday Night to Thursday not an excuse but, you can see why a team would struggle.... So, yeah, If the Jets lose to the Bills, The Fat Lady might as well start singing.This should be a game where the Jets take out their frustrations and beat down the Bills like they have been.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the Jets have won 2 straight games in spectacularly unconvincing fashion. Sanchez continues to look bad for much of the game and then make one or two good plays, and somehow that's enough. But, it needs to be said that the Jets have been coming out and playing flat and uninspired football, and they aren't playing like anything close to a playoff team. Having said all of that, the Jets are in great shape to make the playoffs provided they can win this weekend, because the Bengals, Titans and Raiders all have tough games this week (I've given up on thinking Denver will ever lose again.)

On a side note, how good of a find was Aaron Maybin? He's the best pass-rusher this team has had since John Abraham.

Well, the Jets have won 2 straight games in spectacularly unconvincing fashion. Sanchez continues to look bad for much of the game and then make one or two good plays, and somehow that's enough. But, it needs to be said that the Jets have been coming out and playing flat and uninspired football, and they aren't playing like anything close to a playoff team. Having said all of that, the Jets are in great shape to make the playoffs provided they can win this weekend, because the Bengals, Titans and Raiders all have tough games this week (I've given up on thinking Denver will ever lose again.)On a side note, how good of a find was Aaron Maybin? He's the best pass-rusher this team has had since John Abraham.
The Jets don't need to concern themselves with Denver. If Denver keeps winning, they win the AFC West. And since the Jets and Broncos have the same record, if Denver stops winning, the Jets don't need to concern themselves with Denver, either.Oakland plays GB this weekend. That loss would put the Jets ahead of Oakland.Tennessee gets the Saints, albeit at home. That loss would put the Jets ahead of the Titans.The Bengals would shock me if they ran the table. The week 17 game against Baltimore will almost certainly mean something for the Ravens -- either the #1 seed if they keep winning, or a chance to still win the division if they drop a game and are behind Pittsburgh (the Steelers play @Cleveland) -- since it is a 1:00 game. So the Jets competition for the WC berth features 3 teams who are unlikely to get to 11 wins. The Jets have a gimme against the PalkoChiefs this weekend. Win in Philly, in the NY showdown, and @Miami, and the Jets are in the playoffs. Will they run the table? Probably not. They make way too many mistakes are also aren't that good at a key position and three other ones (quarterback, running back, right tackle, safety). OTOH, losses to New England, Oakland and Denver have followed a similar script. Fumble a punt and throw a killer interception in the end zone. Minimize mistakes, and the Jets could be an elite team. But I'm not sure if they're good enough to minimize mistakes.

Giants haven't won recently but, are playing good football..

I think the Giants win big in that match, Jets have had issues with pass rushing teams and I think Eli will pick apart the Jets while avoiding Revis.

Has been a pretty frustrating year for me watching this team, just a whole season of Bad football up and down.

Miami is also playing much better football than the NYJ IMO and will be a real tough game and a game in which it feels Miami traditionally puts the kabosh on a Jets season. They will be so up for that game while the Jets I'm sure will come out sluggish and play 3+ quarters of #### before they try.

Just UGGGGGGGGGH!

9-7

Bittersweet day for the Jets. Leonhard injury is bad, but Raiders, Bengals and Titans all lost.

Jets now in control of their own destiny, and their tiebreaker outlook is better. They lose a tiebreaker at 11-5 to Cincy but if both teams are 10-6 (with the Jets losing to PHI or NYG and CIN losing to Baltimore).

Running the table against PHI-NYG-MIA isn't easy, but I guess the team has to run the table against HOU-NWE-BAL-GNB to win the Super Bowl, so :shrug:

Bittersweet day for the Jets. Leonhard injury is bad, but Raiders, Bengals and Titans all lost.Jets now in control of their own destiny, and their tiebreaker outlook is better. They lose a tiebreaker at 11-5 to Cincy but if both teams are 10-6 (with the Jets losing to PHI or NYG and CIN losing to Baltimore).Running the table against PHI-NYG-MIA isn't easy, but I guess the team has to run the table against HOU-NWE-BAL-GNB to win the Super Bowl, so :shrug:
Yeah, losing Leonhard is a big loss as Pool and Smith will now be the starters. Pool brings more athleticism, but once Leonhard was out for the season last year, the Jets' defense really struggled in his first week on the sidelines, and the Jets' D can't afford that this time around.

yeah, feel really bad for the guy. Such a fluke play too.

The good news is that this time, it isn't 48 hours before a game against the Patriots. Still sucks though

Bittersweet day for the Jets. Leonhard injury is bad, but Raiders, Bengals and Titans all lost.Jets now in control of their own destiny, and their tiebreaker outlook is better. They lose a tiebreaker at 11-5 to Cincy but if both teams are 10-6 (with the Jets losing to PHI or NYG and CIN losing to Baltimore).Running the table against PHI-NYG-MIA isn't easy, but I guess the team has to run the table against HOU-NWE-BAL-GNB to win the Super Bowl, so :shrug:
Cincy already has 6 losses. So....

Giants haven't won recently but, are playing good football..I think the Giants win big in that match, Jets have had issues with pass rushing teams and I think Eli will pick apart the Jets while avoiding Revis.Has been a pretty frustrating year for me watching this team, just a whole season of Bad football up and down.Miami is also playing much better football than the NYJ IMO and will be a real tough game and a game in which it feels Miami traditionally puts the kabosh on a Jets season. They will be so up for that game while the Jets I'm sure will come out sluggish and play 3+ quarters of #### before they try.Just UGGGGGGGGGH!9-7
:tfp:

Jets are what they are...an average football team with a ton of weaknesses. Some weeks they play well and some they dont even get off the bus.

Wouldnt be shocked if they played well to beat the Giants only to lose to the Fins in the last game.

'Kiddnets said:
Jets are what they are...an average football team with a ton of weaknesses. Some weeks they play well and some they dont even get off the bus.

Wouldnt be shocked if they played well to beat the Giants only to lose to the Fins in the last game.
yeah, except really, they hardly played well this year. The few decent teams they beat kinda handed it to them and the wins against bad teams have been pretty blah... The past 2 years, even with a late Patriots route I had confidence that the team was playing well and could put a run together. Maybe cuz the Defense at least was playing top 5 and the Running game was top 5....

But, I would have a real hard time putting together a highlight reel for the season.

I'd like to see a poll Now of Jets fans here on wether Sanchez will ever make it....I usually give QB's the benefit more than most - Heck, I was still on the Chad Henne wagon entering this season while Miami fans were cheering for Orton.... But, I'm 100% off the Sanchez wagon!!!!!

He's the QB that you LOVE to have at the helm of a Rival team so you can mock their panzy ### QB. I remember arguing with Giant fans over Dave Brown. This guy is no better than Dave Brown!!!!! same exact excuses too.

To me, Rex Ryan is as good as any coach in the league and my biggest fear now is that we waste his whole tenure here trying to get Mark ####'n Sanchez to be decent... And I get that the OL has had issues, and the WR's have dropped balls and Schottenheimer should just call the opposite game plans of whatever he thinks.. But, damn, make a read. Call out of a play with heavy rush. GET RID OF THE ### #### BALL!!!!!!! Mark is KILLING ME!!!!!

This Jets season has been just one big bag of #### for me.

Can't even enjoy the Wins.... maybe the SD win but, at that point to just be over .500 was more of a relief.... Then a Buffalo win and SMACK.

Just a garbage season IMO, with little to look forward to on a team that looks old and slow with a Giant hole at QB.

IMO, this team is in the worst possible position - a year or 2 BEFORE they grasp they need to be rebuilt... At least Miami admits they need a QB and will probably have a jolt at HC. Can I at least hope they hire Schottenheimer....

I'd love to place a bet right now on Miami having a better record next year than the NYJ. Looks ot me like 2 teams heading in opposite directions.

/rant

Hate to say this, but the Jets pass defense is a paper tiger. And while Jets fans love to rip Schotty, Rex deserves a lot of criticism. It may not seem fair, but he built the Jets with the idea that they'd be a top 3 defense in the league. The offense isn't great, and they end up asking a lot from the defense. And the defense doesn't deliver against top passing attacks.

Pass Rk Player Date Tm Result W Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Y/A AY/A1 Michael Vick 2011-12-18 PHI W 45-19 15 15 22 68.2% 274 1 1 107.0 12.45 11.322 Tom Brady 2011-11-13 NWE W 37-16 10 26 39 66.7% 329 3 0 118.4 8.44 9.973 Tony Romo 2011-09-11 DAL L 24-27 1 23 36 63.9% 342 2 1 101.9 9.50 9.364 Tom Brady 2011-10-09 NWE W 30-21 5 24 33 72.7% 321 1 1 100.7 9.73 8.975 Ryan Fitzpatrick 2011-11-27 BUF L 24-28 12 26 39 66.7% 264 3 0 111.5 6.77 8.316 Jason Campbell 2011-09-25 OAK W 34-24 3 18 27 66.7% 156 0 0 81.7 5.78 5.787 Tyler Palko 2011-12-11 KAN L 10-37 14 16 32 50.0% 195 1 1 66.5 6.09 5.318 Tim Tebow 2011-11-17 DEN W 17-13 11 9 20 45.0% 104 0 0 61.2 5.20 5.209 Ryan Fitzpatrick 2011-11-06 BUF L 11-27 9 15 31 48.4% 191 1 2 51.9 6.16 3.9010 Rex Grossman 2011-12-04 WAS L 19-34 13 19 46 41.3% 221 0 1 47.5 4.80 3.8311 Joe Flacco 2011-10-02 BAL W 34-17 4 10 31 32.3% 163 0 1 37.4 5.26 3.8112 Philip Rivers 2011-10-23 SDG L 21-27 7 16 32 50.0% 179 1 2 51.4 5.59 3.4113 Matt Moore 2011-10-17 MIA L 6-24 6 16 34 47.1% 204 0 2 41.8 6.00 3.3514 Luke McCown 2011-09-18 JAX L 3-32 2 6 19 31.6% 59 0 4 1.8 3.11 -6.37
Vick, Brady and Brady torched the Jets. Romo played well right up until the end of the game when he Romo-ed it away (and the Jets still needed a blocked punt for a TD to win). Fitzpatrick isn't great, and he still torched the Jets and might have led a ridiculous comeback if Steve Johnson doesn't drop the potential GW TD pass.

The Jets are sixth in the league in AY/A allowed (and ANY/A allowed) but as you can see, they struggle against the top QBs. If you're going to beat the top QBs, you need to either have an elite, shut down defense or a great passing game. Or get lucky. The Jets better hope they're lucky.

'Kiddnets said:

yeah, except really, they hardly played well this year. The few decent teams they beat kinda handed it to them and the wins against bad teams have been pretty blah... The past 2 years, even with a late Patriots route I had confidence that the team was playing well and could put a run together. Maybe cuz the Defense at least was playing top 5 and the Running game was top 5....

But, I would have a real hard time putting together a highlight reel for the season.

I'd like to see a poll Now of Jets fans here on wether Sanchez will ever make it....I usually give QB's the benefit more than most - Heck, I was still on the Chad Henne wagon entering this season while Miami fans were cheering for Orton.... But, I'm 100% off the Sanchez wagon!!!!!

He's the QB that you LOVE to have at the helm of a Rival team so you can mock their panzy ### QB. I remember arguing with Giant fans over Dave Brown. This guy is no better than Dave Brown!!!!! same exact excuses too.

To me, Rex Ryan is as good as any coach in the league and my biggest fear now is that we waste his whole tenure here trying to get Mark ####'n Sanchez to be decent... And I get that the OL has had issues, and the WR's have dropped balls and Schottenheimer should just call the opposite game plans of whatever he thinks.. But, damn, make a read. Call out of a play with heavy rush. GET RID OF THE ### #### BALL!!!!!!! Mark is KILLING ME!!!!!

Can't even enjoy the Wins.... maybe the SD win but, at that point to just be over .500 was more of a relief.... Then a Buffalo win and SMACK.

Just a garbage season IMO, with little to look forward to on a team that looks old and slow with a Giant hole at QB.

IMO, this team is in the worst possible position - a year or 2 BEFORE they grasp they need to be rebuilt... At least Miami admits they need a QB and will probably have a jolt at HC. Can I at least hope they hire Schottenheimer....

I'd love to place a bet right now on Miami having a better record next year than the NYJ. Looks ot me like 2 teams heading in opposite directions.

/rant
Wow Reaper, step back from the ledge. This team is not the same team they were the previous 2 years, mostly because of of the o-line and and the defense not being as strong. That said, they are more likely than not going to make the playoffs. Even if they lost to the Giants and beat the Fish they have a decent shot. I don't see an AFC Championship in this teams' future, but you make it sound as if they need to blow it all up. Comparing Sanchez to Dave Brown is ridiculous. Dave Brown had exactly 1 year with more TDs than INTs, and that was an 11/10 split. He sucked and never showed any signs of being a good QB. Sanchez is on his way to having his second such year, and will likely account for 30 TDs passing and rushing this year. He's going to throw for over 3300 yards, pass for 25+ TDs and he's already run 5 in. He's improved gradually each of his 3 years so far despite everyone's unreasonable expectations. He has 31 total wins in his first 3 seasons and he isn't done yet. He has 9-4th quarter comebacks and 11 game winning drives already in his career and he is a tough SOB, coming back into games hurt all the time despite not being the biggest QB out there. I'm not going to make any excuses for his mistakes, his lack of gaudy yardage numbers or anything else. He doesn't need them, he's still in his 3rd damn year and only 25! I've watched every game he's ever played and while he can be maddening I still believe in him. I'm not going to post his numbers versus guys like Eli, Steve Young, Aikman, Big Ben, etc... in their first 3 seasons again, but the point still stands. This guy has proven to be clutch, he has a ton of heart and he has dealt with the intense scrutiny of NY, the Jet fanbase and the Jet haters with a ton of class so far. I can't stress enough that he is still just 25 and he's been to 2 AFC title games and has the chance to lead his team to the playoffs for the 3rd straight year. If he does it this year you can't tell me it was all on the back of the running game and the defense because we both just admitted they aren't as strong. Sanchez, like Eli, is eventually going to make a lot of people eat their words. He's better than people give him credit for IMHO and I think he has more upside than the majority of fans think.

Sanchez isn't the long term problem, he needs to improve, but I beleive he will. They need to upgrade from Hunter at RT and get some safeties who can cover a TE. Another pass-rushing OLB would be nice, but Maybin has provided some improvement in that area. The window of opportunity for this team is not closing yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to say this, but the Jets pass defense is a paper tiger. And while Jets fans love to rip Schotty, Rex deserves a lot of criticism. It may not seem fair, but he built the Jets with the idea that they'd be a top 3 defense in the league. The offense isn't great, and they end up asking a lot from the defense. And the defense doesn't deliver against top passing attacks.

Code:
                                                Pass                                       Rk             Player       Date  Tm  Result  W  Cmp Att  Cmp% Yds TD Int  Rate   Y/A  AY/A1        Michael Vick 2011-12-18 PHI W 45-19 15   15  22 68.2% 274  1   1 107.0 12.45 11.322           Tom Brady 2011-11-13 NWE W 37-16 10   26  39 66.7% 329  3   0 118.4  8.44  9.973           Tony Romo 2011-09-11 DAL L 24-27  1   23  36 63.9% 342  2   1 101.9  9.50  9.364           Tom Brady 2011-10-09 NWE W 30-21  5   24  33 72.7% 321  1   1 100.7  9.73  8.975    Ryan Fitzpatrick 2011-11-27 BUF L 24-28 12   26  39 66.7% 264  3   0 111.5  6.77  8.316      Jason Campbell 2011-09-25 OAK W 34-24  3   18  27 66.7% 156  0   0  81.7  5.78  5.787         Tyler Palko 2011-12-11 KAN L 10-37 14   16  32 50.0% 195  1   1  66.5  6.09  5.318           Tim Tebow 2011-11-17 DEN W 17-13 11    9  20 45.0% 104  0   0  61.2  5.20  5.209    Ryan Fitzpatrick 2011-11-06 BUF L 11-27  9   15  31 48.4% 191  1   2  51.9  6.16  3.9010       Rex Grossman 2011-12-04 WAS L 19-34 13   19  46 41.3% 221  0   1  47.5  4.80  3.8311         Joe Flacco 2011-10-02 BAL W 34-17  4   10  31 32.3% 163  0   1  37.4  5.26  3.8112      Philip Rivers 2011-10-23 SDG L 21-27  7   16  32 50.0% 179  1   2  51.4  5.59  3.4113         Matt Moore 2011-10-17 MIA  L 6-24  6   16  34 47.1% 204  0   2  41.8  6.00  3.3514        Luke McCown 2011-09-18 JAX  L 3-32  2    6  19 31.6%  59  0   4   1.8  3.11 -6.37
Vick, Brady and Brady torched the Jets. Romo played well right up until the end of the game when he Romo-ed it away (and the Jets still needed a blocked punt for a TD to win). Fitzpatrick isn't great, and he still torched the Jets and might have led a ridiculous comeback if Steve Johnson doesn't drop the potential GW TD pass.The Jets are sixth in the league in AY/A allowed (and ANY/A allowed) but as you can see, they struggle against the top QBs. If you're going to beat the top QBs, you need to either have an elite, shut down defense or a great passing game. Or get lucky. The Jets better hope they're lucky.
The problem is that they created the pass defense around sending pressure and leaving great corners out on 'islands' They drafted Wilson thinking they would have 3 elite DBs and blanket all of the other teams WRs allowing the pass rush to get to the QB. Curiously though they then let the safeties they had that could cover a bit go or sent them to the bench and began to start two undersized, somewhat slow, cerebral run supporters at safety and the guys who are supposed to get to the QB haven't. QBs like Brady will find the open man, and when they have talented backs and TEs out of the backfield the Jets' weakness is exposed. Is it a coincidence that some of the best coverage they had against top QBs last year came in the playoffs when they played guys like Lowry and Pool instead of Smith and Leonard? I'm not really sure why Rex continues to show so much faith in Smith covering pass catching TEs or even helping over the top on slot receivers. The guy is a liability in coverage. That 73 yard play to Celek yesterday made me sick because it's all too familiar seeing guys running free in the secondary and looking back to find it was Smith's responsibility. Kind of like the big play to Welker everyone wanted to pin on Revis. Maybe Strickland can do what Lowry did last year, but at some point the Jets need to address that issue. On another note, I was equally as disgusted watching Babin run literally UNTOUCHED to Sanchez on all three of those sacks. The o-line, specifically Hunter, has been terrible against teams with any kind of pass rush. They made A.Carter look like Reggie White and I shudder to think what Pierre-Paul will do on Saturday night.

'Kiddnets said:

/rant
Wow Reaper, step back from the ledge. This team is not the same team they were the previous 2 years, mostly because of of the o-line and and the defense not being as strong. That said, they are more likely than not going to make the playoffs. Even if they lost to the Giants and beat the Fish they have a decent shot. I don't see an AFC Championship in this teams' future, but you make it sound as if they need to blow it all up. Comparing Sanchez to Dave Brown is ridiculous. Dave Brown had exactly 1 year with more TDs than INTs, and that was an 11/10 split. He sucked and never showed any signs of being a good QB. Sanchez is on his way to having his second such year, and will likely account for 30 TDs passing and rushing this year. He's going to throw for over 3300 yards, pass for 25+ TDs and he's already run 5 in. He's improved gradually each of his 3 years so far despite everyone's unreasonable expectations. He has 31 total wins in his first 3 seasons and he isn't done yet. He has 9-4th quarter comebacks and 11 game winning drives already in his career and he is a tough SOB, coming back into games hurt all the time despite not being the biggest QB out there. I'm not going to make any excuses for his mistakes, his lack of gaudy yardage numbers or anything else. He doesn't need them, he's still in his 3rd damn year and only 25! I've watched every game he's ever played and while he can be maddening I still believe in him. I'm not going to post his numbers versus guys like Eli, Steve Young, Aikman, Big Ben, etc... in their first 3 seasons again, but the point still stands. This guy has proven to be clutch, he has a ton of heart and he has dealt with the intense scrutiny of NY, the Jet fanbase and the Jet haters with a ton of class so far. I can't stress enough that he is still just 25 and he's been to 2 AFC title games and has the chance to lead his team to the playoffs for the 3rd straight year. If he does it this year you can't tell me it was all on the back of the running game and the defense because we both just admitted they aren't as strong. Sanchez, like Eli, is eventually going to make a lot of people eat their words. He's better than people give him credit for IMHO and I think he has more upside than the majority of fans think.

Sanchez isn't the long term problem, he needs to improve, but I beleive he will. They need to upgrade from Hunter at RT and get some safeties who can cover a TE. Another pass-rushing OLB would be nice, but Maybin has provided some improvement in that area. The window of opportunity for this team is not closing yet.
:goodposting: ....stepping off the ledge....I do have to remindmyself that Sanzhez is a 3rd yr QB....he can make dumb mistakes but the kid is putting up decent numbers....I would love to see him with a better OC.

There is still room on the ledge.....

Kinda glad I ranted last week.... The pain is lessened after this very predictable performance.

now, I'm off to celebrate Christmas.......

Yay :banned:

Users who are viewing this thread