What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Jets 2011 Thread (1 Viewer)

One thing that I'm curious about is how far under the cap the Jets really are. A lot of web reports are saying that the Jets are a few million dollars under the cap because they backloaded a few notable contracts, namely Harris's. But, Tanny and Rex have both said that they're basically done adding players. I understand why the Jets re-structured Pace and Scott and guaranteed them money in the future (to free up room for Aso) but I don't get why they backloaded Harris's deal so much, unless they actually are planning to make some kind of move this season.

'TLEF316 said:
A shot across the bow? Nobody even mentioned Woodson before you entered the thread as far as i can see. Every GM in the league would take Revis over Woodson. He's younger and he's better at stopping his man from catching the ball. (which i think most people would agree is the most important part of playing CB in the NFL) For the last 2 years, you've come running any time the words "Revis" and "Woodson" show up in the same thread. Better resume....I would hope so, he's played More than 3X as many seasons as Revis has. Everyone gets it. You think Woodson is better because he records more tackles, forced fumbles and INT's. You've been saying it for 2 years now. Woodson has been a great player for a long time. He's probably a hall of fame player. But the fact that his defensive system allows him to free lance a lot more than Revis does (thus allowing him to put up better counting numbers) doesn't make him a better player NOW. And although he played a huge part in getting them there, you really can't seriously claim that winning a super bowl makes him a better player than Revis, can you? He's been in the league 9 years longer and he didn't even play in the 2nd half of the game.
Woodson also led all defensive players in penalties in 2010. And while Pro Football Focus ranked Woodson as the #1 corner overall and the #2 cover corner (behind Revis) in 2009, they ranked him as average last year.

At first, Matt Slauson admitted, his fear of Vladimir Ducasse was political.Heading into the Jets’ training camp in Cortland, N.Y., last year, Slauson was a sixth-round pick in the 2009 draft and Ducasse a second-rounder in 2010. There was one position on the offensive line open at left guard, and Slauson figured Ducasse was a lock. Then he saw Ducasse. A 6-5 giant balancing 325 pounds while buzzing across the line during drills, hindered only by his few years of playing organized football. Even though Slauson beat out Ducasse for that starting role, he often wonders if it’s just a matter of time before Ducasse surpasses him. “In the future, Vlad is going to be a much better football player than me,” Slauson said last week at Jets camp. “God-gifted, just a freak. If he knew the in’s and out’s of the playbook like (a veteran), he’d be an All Pro.” This preseason came with another glimpse of light for Ducasse. Management toyed with the idea of making him the successor at right tackle to the retired Damien Woody. But those plans were abandoned once the team re-signed veteran Wayne Hunter to a four-year contract and the lockout erased any opportunities Ducasse had to work with his coaches. In the spring, offensive line coach Bill Callahan said he had “big plans” for Ducasse. Buoyed by a quiet confidence, Ducasse is determined to banish the idea he is a backup. He believes he could start for another NFL team but feels like his opportunity needs to be paved with the Jets, amid one of the best offensive lines in football. “When I know what I’m doing out there,” said Ducasse, a protein shake bubbling in his right hand, “I can get real nasty.” Even now, the players ahead of him consider it a matter of when, not if. “I don’t think he wants to be a bust,” Hunter said. “In the long run, he might be the guy that fills in for this franchise.” Ducasse, 23, says his size came from his mother, Bernadette, who passed away when Ducasse was 5. He confirmed this in pictures he saw of her for the first time in years when his father, Delinois, brought a photo album on a recent visit from Haiti, where Vladimir was born. In 2002, at age 14, as his neighborhood in Port-au-Prince deteriorated, Ducasse came to the United States, speaking only French and Creole. His lasting memories of the poorest country in the Americas are snapshots of nearby homes with metal bars secured to every door and window and tall gates in front to keep out a potentially dangerous world. “You don’t want someone to break in in the middle of the night,” he said. “Or middle of the day.” He says the experience humbles him, which is why he is always patient, always optimistic, even when times get tough. Ducasse throws himself into the film room to master a game he has only been playing since his junior year at Stamford (Conn.) High School, answering text message pop-quizzes about protection schemes from his position coach at the University of Massachusetts, where he played as a freshman and started his final three seasons.He works out in the gym to add to a massive frame that once drove current Giants linebacker Adrian Tracy 20 yards downfield during a game while the two were in college. Ducasse was just a sophomore.“He’s got a lot of upside because of his talent. A lot of potential ... .,” Callahan said. “This will be another year where we anticipate his growth process, to see him mature.” For now, he is a stagehand on the offensive line. A primary backup at two positions, a way for the coaches to ensure they have a quality option that could also save space for another player on the team’s roster. But he also knows there is more. Said Ducasse: “All it takes is one chance.”

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Joe McKnight kept surfing the Internet while down in his native Louisiana during the lockout, seeing those familiar harsh critiques and opinions about him: He wasn't a hard worker. He's overrated. He'll never live down those vomiting episodes. He'll be a bust."I am the type of person to get on the computer and read up on stuff people are writing," the Jets' second-year running back said. "People would write some bad stuff. I was like, 'The only way I can get this perception out of their mind is me just getting on the field and showing what I can do.' "But he couldn't. "With the lockout going on, I was just getting real frustrated with myself, and still thinking about the past, and I'm trying to get it out of my mind," the 5-10, 205-pounder said. "So once we came back to football, everything was lovely. I was feeling good. I want to just get back out here and play, because my main focus is not to come back like I was last year."McKnight was ridiculed from the outset of his initial pro season, with things spiraling in the wrong direction during rookie minicamp, when he vomited on the field on each of the first two days. He also failed his first conditioning test before the start of last year's training camp.He also wasn't very good in the preseason, fumbling three times and showing a tentative approach to running between the tackles. Plus, he was publicly embarrassed by the airing of the coaches' criticism on HBO 's "Hard Knocks." To top it off, he was inactive for the first three games of the season.It was a season loaded with peaks and valleys for McKnight, who was the nation's top recruit coming out of John Curtis (La.) High School and was compared to Reggie Bush during his days at USC. Jets running backs coach Anthony Lynn kept riding him hard, even giving him a special gift: a football to carry around."He comes in as a rookie, having a lot of success and not knowing nothing, so you couldn't tell him nothing," Lynn said. "But he goes out there in the preseason and puts the ball on the ground three times, so now he wants to carry the ball the right way. The only way to do that is reps and unfortunately, you can't get enough reps out here. You've got to take [the ball] home with you, take it to the classroom with you."So that's what he was doing."McKnight finished the season strong, racking up 158 yards on 32 carries when he got the start in the regular-season finale against Buffalo. Still, he knew in order to get more playing time in 2011, he had to train vigorously. So he spent countless hours in Kenner, La., at The Duke Academy, a place that offers sports performance training. In fact, McKnight might've trained too hard."He worked out so much he lost 15 pounds," Lynn said. "I need him to get that back. But Joe has been one of the bright spots so far."The Jets have plans to move McKnight all over the field on offense, and he's expected to have a sizable role on special teams. Rex Ryan has raved about McKnight's progress, but all McKnight can think about is changing those negative perceptions."It feels good to hear him say that," McKnight said. "But I feel like they brought me in here to be ready right now, and I wasn't ready last year. I'm ready right now and I'm ready to get this thing started, and just keep pushing. The main thing I'm going to start doing is just being consistent day in and day out."

Love Reading that about Ducasse....

I knew Slausson was going to fill the LG shoes last year though he did have growing pains.

this year we could be looking at an even better / more seasoned OL!!!!!

I'm kinda glad we don't start off against The Patriots. I want the OL to see on tape a little bit how they are going to use Hanesworth and co.

'Chase Stuart said:
'TLEF316 said:
A shot across the bow? Nobody even mentioned Woodson before you entered the thread as far as i can see. Every GM in the league would take Revis over Woodson. He's younger and he's better at stopping his man from catching the ball. (which i think most people would agree is the most important part of playing CB in the NFL) For the last 2 years, you've come running any time the words "Revis" and "Woodson" show up in the same thread. Better resume....I would hope so, he's played More than 3X as many seasons as Revis has. Everyone gets it. You think Woodson is better because he records more tackles, forced fumbles and INT's. You've been saying it for 2 years now. Woodson has been a great player for a long time. He's probably a hall of fame player. But the fact that his defensive system allows him to free lance a lot more than Revis does (thus allowing him to put up better counting numbers) doesn't make him a better player NOW. And although he played a huge part in getting them there, you really can't seriously claim that winning a super bowl makes him a better player than Revis, can you? He's been in the league 9 years longer and he didn't even play in the 2nd half of the game.
Woodson also led all defensive players in penalties in 2010. And while Pro Football Focus ranked Woodson as the #1 corner overall and the #2 cover corner (behind Revis) in 2009, they ranked him as average last year.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt the Revis lovefest. I just thought a dose of reality might be in order. Guess not, I'll leave now.

'Reaper said:
Love Reading that about Ducasse....I knew Slausson was going to fill the LG shoes last year though he did have growing pains.this year we could be looking at an even better / more seasoned OL!!!!!I'm kinda glad we don't start off against The Patriots. I want the OL to see on tape a little bit how they are going to use Hanesworth and co.
:goodposting: As much as I hate to admit it, the Pats DL is going to be brutally tough this year. I trust Mangold to deal with one of Haynesworth or Wilfork, but the Jets are going to have to throw and throw often if they want to beat the Pats I think.

'Chase Stuart said:
'TLEF316 said:
A shot across the bow? Nobody even mentioned Woodson before you entered the thread as far as i can see.

Every GM in the league would take Revis over Woodson. He's younger and he's better at stopping his man from catching the ball. (which i think most people would agree is the most important part of playing CB in the NFL) For the last 2 years, you've come running any time the words "Revis" and "Woodson" show up in the same thread. Better resume....I would hope so, he's played More than 3X as many seasons as Revis has.

Everyone gets it. You think Woodson is better because he records more tackles, forced fumbles and INT's. You've been saying it for 2 years now.

Woodson has been a great player for a long time. He's probably a hall of fame player. But the fact that his defensive system allows him to free lance a lot more than Revis does (thus allowing him to put up better counting numbers) doesn't make him a better player NOW.

And although he played a huge part in getting them there, you really can't seriously claim that winning a super bowl makes him a better player than Revis, can you? He's been in the league 9 years longer and he didn't even play in the 2nd half of the game.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt the Revis lovefest. I just thought a dose of reality might be in order. Guess not, I'll leave now. The only argument I have are stats that mean very little to the CB position and my own personal bias, so I'll just stop pissing all over the thread now.
Fixed it for ya

Eric Smith and Brad Smith were bass fishing at a pond in New Jersey two weeks ago, two good friends passing the time as they waited for word on their football futures.Around the time Eric Smith reeled in his fourth fish, Brad Smith got his first bite of the day, and the biggest one. His agent called his cell phone to let him know the Buffalo Bills had made an offer. Turns out, it was the last time the pair would cast their fishing rods as Jets teammates.It also marked the end of the “Smith Brothers,” the moniker for Mike Westhoff’s dynamic special-teams duo.“I don’t think it’s really set in yet,” Eric Smith admitted today.On offense and defense, the Jets return 18 of 22 starters from last season, a high return rate. But on special teams, more regrouping is needed.Most notable is the loss of Brad Smith, the ace kick returner and versatile contributor whom Westhoff, the special-teams coordinator, once said he would quit without. The Jets have a kicking competition (Nick Folk vs. Nick Novak), a punting competition (Chris Bryan vs. T.J. Conley), an open holder job and a rookie (Jeremy Kerley) as the early favorite to be the kick and punt returner.Gone, too, are last year’s top three special-teams tacklers: Lance Laury, James Ihedigbo and Brad Smith. Eric Smith, re-signed as a starting safety, will be taken off the kickoff return team to ease his load.Westhoff’s take? His special-teams units have perennially been in the top of the NFL. It’s his job to make sure this season is no exception.“In my mind, I’m not looking at it like, ‘Wow, I just got smashed,’ ” Westhoff said. “Even though I just got smashed. I think we have a chance to be pretty darn good.”Now in his 29th NFL season, Westhoff said getting this year’s unit up to speed, in a radically condensed time frame, is not his greatest challenge to date — “but it’s not far down the list.”He’s approaching the task with method, wisdom and urgency. Each practice, Westhoff said, is being treated as if this is the week before the regular-season opener against the Dallas Cowboys. He must not only evaluate the younger players, to see if they merit a roster spot, but prepare his top unit for games.Westhoff carries around a list of at least 60 scenarios he needs to cover before Sept. 11, ranging from punt blocks to returns after a safety. Each day, he checks a few more off the list, taking advantage of the morning walk-through and hoping there is time to revisit the plays at full speed during the afternoon practice — an adjustment now that two-a-days have been eliminated under the new collective bargaining agreement.Working in Westhoff’s favor is that he has fine-tuned a system that is player-friendly. That doesn’t mean it is simple — in fact, it is very complex — but he teaches in a way that requires little memorization.Westhoff is known for sketching diagrams of his schemes, with arrows clearly indicating where each player is supposed to go. Before sending his players onto the field, he holds up the laminated sheet of the play they’ll run.“He takes all the thinking out of what we need to do,” long snapper Tanner Purdum said. “He sets out a basic grid, and a basic set of principles, and you play and react.”Westhoff remembers a time in the ’80s and ’90s, as the special-teams coordinator in Miami, when he might make a single change on a punt team all season. Now it could be six or seven. He recognizes that turnover is a part of his realm, and makes the best of it.Asked about the unsettled kicker and punter positions, he cracks, “I don’t know what the heck I’d do if I had just an incumbent that everyone else was coveting.”During free agency, Westhoff made calls to Brad Smith, Eric Smith and Ihedigbo, expressing his desire to have them back. But that’s as far as he went, he said. He prefers not to know the salary of any members of the Jets’ roster, because business decisions are not his responsibility.The math he does involves parsing the players who will be active on game day, determining how many receivers, tight ends and running backs he’ll have at his disposal. As a sign in his office reads, “You can’t win with the players you don’t have.”“I’m prepared to move on,” Westhoff said. “It’s not easy, and for a while it’s frustrating, and I’m miserable to be around. But once it rolls, once it goes, then I’m ready to go.”

The extra weight Dustin Keller added in the offseason is meant to help him become a better blocker, a step toward a more versatile game, he says. The extra time spent with new offensive consultant Tom Moore, the mastermind behind the Indianapolis Colts’ machine-like offense, has Keller poised for a bigger role in the Jets’ scheme, in the likeness of his counterpart in Indy, Dallas Clark.The cards seem to be lining up in Keller’s favor, which is something he has recognized already this season when he has heard his name used constantly with the words “breakout year.” “Too much,” Keller said. It’s a thought that parallels the tight end position as a whole in Rex Ryan’s eyes. Despite losing out on free-agent prize Todd Heap, a standout in Baltimore during Ryan’s time there as a defensive coordinator, Ryan said he has never been more comfortable with his depth at the position with Jeff Cumberland and Matthew Mulligan. Though, when asked about Keller’s improvement in the blocking game, Ryan said he wasn’t quite sold. “No, not really,” Ryan said. “I saw some improvement last year from him but I think he’s around where he was last year so I hope to see him get a little more aggressive and all that stuff.” The reason for Ryan’s optimism comes from change. Cumberland, a second-year player, was mainly a receiver in college known more for his hands. He became a better blocker in the offseason. “Right now, I’d put him in the average tight end blocking category for NFL tight ends, but that’s pretty good considering he was a wide receiver in college,” Ryan said. “He’s plenty tough and that’s it. I see him, he’s doing a much better job.”Mulligan, a third-year player known almost exclusively as a blocking tight end, has gotten better at catching passes, even snagging one in yesterday’s goal line drill on a play-action pass. He piled on catches during Monday’s two-minute drills as well. “Mulligan had a huge day in our first two minute,” Ryan said. “He was catching balls all over the place. He’s improved as a receiver as much as Cumberland improved as a blocker.” On the depth chart behind Keller, they will be listed as “2 and 2a,” Ryan said, and will be used when the situation dictates. But he reiterated that it is a good problem to have — that even though he may not have one complete tight end, he has three all pushing to improve. “I love Todd (Heap), I think he’s a great receiver and a good blocker and things but this worked out,” he said.
I'm a little worried about Keller's weight gain, because I don't want him to lose any of his speed or quickness, but all the reports that I've heard have said that Keller has looked good so far.

A shot across the bow? Nobody even mentioned Woodson before you entered the thread as far as i can see.

Every GM in the league would take Revis over Woodson. He's younger and he's better at stopping his man from catching the ball. (which i think most people would agree is the most important part of playing CB in the NFL) For the last 2 years, you've come running any time the words "Revis" and "Woodson" show up in the same thread. Better resume....I would hope so, he's played More than 3X as many seasons as Revis has.

Everyone gets it. You think Woodson is better because he records more tackles, forced fumbles and INT's. You've been saying it for 2 years now.

Woodson has been a great player for a long time. He's probably a hall of fame player. But the fact that his defensive system allows him to free lance a lot more than Revis does (thus allowing him to put up better counting numbers) doesn't make him a better player NOW.

And although he played a huge part in getting them there, you really can't seriously claim that winning a super bowl makes him a better player than Revis, can you? He's been in the league 9 years longer and he didn't even play in the 2nd half of the game.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt the Revis lovefest. I just thought a dose of reality might be in order. Guess not, I'll leave now. The only argument I have are stats that mean very little to the CB position and my own personal bias, so I'll just stop pissing all over the thread now.
Fixed it for ya
So a dissenting opinion is pissing in the thread? :rolleyes:

Fixed it for ya
So a dissenting opinion is pissing in the thread? :rolleyes:
WE ARE THE JETS BORG. YOU WILL ME ASSIMILATED.Jets Borg all look like Fireman Ed BTW. :mellow:

I'm very excited for tonight's game. :popcorn: A couple things that I'll be specifically watching for:

1. The play of the rookies on the DL. I expect both Ellis and Wilkerson to get a lot of reps against a very good offensive line. I want to see how Wilkerson can hold up if/when he's double teamed, and I also want to see what kind of pass rush ability he offers. For Ellis, I just want to see how his technique looks and if he can hold his ground.

2. Kyle Wilson. I assume he'll see time both outside and in the slot,l and I'd like to see some improvement from him. Specifically, I hope he's gotten better at playing the ball instead of the receiver.

3. Joe McKnight and Bilal Powell. Everything I've heard about McKnight thus far has been positive, and I hope he can carry it in to game action.

4. Ducasse at RG. With Moore out, Ducasse will be starting in his 3rd position in 2 years on the OL. I love his ability and think he will be starting for the Jets sooner rather than later, so I'll be keeping a close eye on him.

5. Sanchez and Mcelroy. Will Sanchez look any better, and will the game finally have "slowed down" a bit for him? Also, I just want to see what we have in Mcelroy. Can he be a long-term backup/not cost us games if Sanchez gets hurt?

6. Jeremy Kerley in the slot. I assume that Kerley will play in the slot in the first quarter then move outside when the 2s come in. I want to see if there's any chemistry between Kerley and Sanchez, and how Kerley works as a slot receive.r

7. Jamaal Westerman. Now that Westerman is the designated pass-rusher, I'm hopeful that he can actually, you know, rush the passer. I'm sure we'll see him in on 3rd downs so anything that he can show tonight would be a positive.

6. Jeremy Kerley in the slot. I assume that Kerley will play in the slot in the first quarter then move outside when the 2s come in. I want to see if there's any chemistry between Kerley and Sanchez, and how Kerley works as a slot receive.r
By all accounts there is a ton of chemistry between them. The first week of practice when Tone, Plax were out and Mason was a glimmer in tanny's eye, they got a lo of reps. They are very excited by him (as I predicted quite a while ago they would be) and he has been very consistent. He's also been a constant wildcat guy and doing some returns. So far, Kerley has been :moneybag:

From the Star Ledger

Mike Westhoff’s pre-draft scouting report called Jeremy Kerley “patient,” “solid” and “tough.”

The Jets’ renowned special-teams coordinator graded the TCU receiver and return specialist highly, making the note, “He is a guy that could do a number of things.” But Westhoff, noticing the wide-open holes Kerley scampered through on an undefeated Rose Bowl team, also scribbled down a question: “How good will he be on his own?”

So when Westhoff met Kerley, after the NFL lockout ended, he sat him down in his office at Jets headquarters and interrogated him.

“Is your picture ever going to be up there?” Westhoff demanded, pointing at enlarged prints of his most dangerous special-teams aces in 10 seasons with the Jets. “We’ve had seven return guys here that finished in the top one, two or three in the NFL.”

“I can be No. 8,” the rookie coolly responded.

That is how a 22-year-old wins over one of the toughest coordinators in football. And it didn’t stop with Westhoff: In two weeks of training camp, without the benefit of offseason practices, Kerley’s new head coach decided he has “a chance to be something special,” the franchise quarterback deemed him a “baller” and the offensive coordinator proudly claimed credit for making him a Jet.

What is it about Kerley? Those who watched him grow up in tiny Hutto, Texas, where he was the first resident ever drafted in the NFL, simply say he has the elusive “it” factor. In Florham Park, the fifth-round pick has earned respect — and some reps with the first-team offense — because of his quickness, eagerness to learn and endearing self-confidence.

In Monday night’s preseason opener at Houston, Kerley is expected to be the starting kick and punt returner. He also should have plenty of chances to show the team what he can do on offense, with the starters playing one quarter and receiver Plaxico Burress staying home with a sprained ankle.

“I’m glad they see a lot of potential in me, but I want them to have a confidence in me during game time,” Kerley said. “Your play is everything.”

The Jets traded up eight spots in April’s draft to nab Kerley, worried they were running out of options and might miss out on the versatile player, whose skill set could help dull the loss of free agent Brad Smith.

It was Brian Schottenheimer, the Jets’ offensive coordinator, who flew to Fort Worth for a private workout that ended up being less about TCU quarterback Andy Dalton and more about Kerley. The player ran routes as well as he ever had, and sensed a genuine chemistry in the film room with Schottenheimer while discussing coverages and route breaks.

The feeling was mutual. Schottenheimer saw the “right look in his eye,” and left campus convinced of what seems to be a unanimous sentiment when it comes to Kerley: There’s something special about this kid.

• • • 

When the lockout ended, Schottenheimer phoned Kerley, asking him to report to New Jersey as soon as he could book a flight. Kerley, who was in Fort Worth with his sister and his fiancée, had a rare bout of nerves.

“Kerley is the jokester of them all, but his whole demeanor changed,” said Kristal Juarez, his fiancée and an All-American sprinter at TCU. “He was nervous about the playbook, learning a whole different playbook than college. He said, ‘I don’t want to disappoint anybody.’ ”

He hasn’t so far. And it didn’t take long for Kerley to ditch that nervousness for the “swag” Juarez has known since she met her future husband in the TCU cafeteria the first day of their freshman year. During a recent interview, Kerley nonchalantly mentioned that he would like to play pro baseball after his NFL career ends, even if he’s 40 years old.

Kerley has always held a firm belief that he will succeed, but his high school coaches never recall him being arrogant or boastful — just self-assured in the way elite athletes need to be. During his freshman year at TCU, Kerley asked his former football coach, Lee Penland, if Hutto High School would retire his number if he made it to the NFL.

That number was 1, which Penland hadn’t allowed any of his players to wear in the past. For Kerley, they changed the rules. He was a four-year starting quarterback, given the reins of Hutto’s option offense as a freshman who had never before played the position.

Kerley was also a defensive back, a returner, a punter, a kicker — and an idol for the coaches’ kids, who called him before each game and invited him to their birthday parties. He possessed smarts like a coach’s son and a competitive fire unlike any Penland has seen in 28 years of coaching football in Texas. When the coach tried to take him off a kickoff coverage unit, Kerley begged him not to until he changed his mind.

He was unselfish, too, once overheard apologizing to his fullback after Kerley ran in a touchdown, explaining he made the wrong read and the score should have been his teammate’s. In the state championship game his junior year, Kerley was double-teamed and had no problem handing off to that same fullback, who racked up 226 rushing yards and three touchdowns.

Baseball was actually his first love, with a fastball that cracked 90 mph, Hutto baseball coach Peter Schmidt recalls. Kerley was a four-year letterman in four sports, football bleeding into basketball season, and juggling baseball and track and field in the spring.

When he was a junior, he won a silver medal at the state track and field meet at the University of Texas, hopped in a car, and raced off to Waco for a state playoff baseball game. In extra innings, Kerley made the double play from right field that recorded the final out.

There is no shortage of such moments on the football field: The scrawny freshman planting his foot along the sideline and running over an all-state linebacker; the wily option quarterback keeping the ball on an outside veer play and racing for a 65-yard touchdown against the best team in the state.

“He’d make his read. If it was a give, he’d give it,” said Mickey Bushong, his high school quarterbacks coach. “If it was a pull, he’d pull it, and shame on you. Because when he pulled it, he was pretty much lightning in a bottle.”

• • •

In the town where his parents were high school sweethearts, and one road is named “Kerley Drive,” his athletic success is town legend. He also became a bit of a cult hero at TCU, where the student section made a habit of chanting “Jer-emy Ker-ley” when he went back for punt returns.

Kerley was twice named his conference’s Special Teams Player of the Year and was the Horned Frogs’ leading receiver as a senior, with 56 catches for 575 yards and 10 touchdowns. Last year, he was one of three finalists for the inaugural Paul Hornung Award, given to college football’s most versatile player.

He gained a new perspective on the game as a sophomore, when he and Juarez welcomed their son, Dae’Shone. The young couple lived together in an off-campus apartment, grateful for the support of their parents and grandparents as they juggled parenthood, exams and Division 1 athletics.

Four weeks after giving birth, Juarez resumed training and would later set a school record in the 400 meters. Both she and their son inspire Kerley.

“My priorities were a little mixed up,” Kerley said. “He definitely set something in my mind, that it’s time to pick a different route and think about something other than yourself. I didn’t realize the most important things in my life.”

• • •

While Kerley and Juarez settled in Morris County this month, his parents watched Dae’Shone, who will turn 3 in November. They’ll pick up their rambunctious “live wire” tomorrow night in Houston and bring him home to New Jersey, the start of a new period in all their lives.

Kerley, 5-9 and 188 pounds, is intent on being for the Jets what he has always been in sports: a difference-maker. He ran sprints with Juarez this summer to work on his speed. Despite not having yet signed an NFL contract, he joined Mark Sanchez’s Jets West camp in California in May, ignoring the injury risk so he could be as prepared as possible.

Fifteenth-year receiver Derrick Mason — to whom Kerley surrendered No. 85, out of respect — sees him as a player who can be used inside, outside and in the backfield, an explosive threat who has been soaking up veteran knowledge.

Coach Rex Ryan suggested Kerley as a candidate to run the Wildcat offense.

And the rookie still has that promise to Westhoff. Kerley grins, ready to make good on growing expectations.

“The type of game that I play, I know a lot will be asked of me,” he said. “I don’t take it upon my shoulders to apply any unneeded pressure. The game of football is supposed to be fun.”

Ducasse smells like a bust already. I know you have to cut the kid SOME slack due to missing the off-season, but he couldn't block me in pass protection.

I think Joe McKnight is in serious danger of being cut (especially if Kerley continues to solidify his role as KR/PR). I thought Powell looked like a munch better natural runner than McKnight is.

McElroy has the arm of a 10 year old, but he showed some guts last night. Smart kid who learned from his early mistakes and make some decent throws, but he's just so limited due to the arm.

The new Ellis looked pretty good, as did Pitoitua. Wilkerson had a forgettable night, but looked ok.

6/7 for sanchez with the one incompletion being a drop by Milligan. Obviously they didn't do anything more than 3 step drops due to the O-line, but it was still positive.

Sounds like backup O-lineman Rob Turner could be done. Hope they sign Shaun O'Hara. He's a solid vet (3 time pro bowler) and a fellow alumni of my HS. Plus, he's still got some gas in the tank if healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ducasse smells like a bust already. I know you have to cut the kid SOME slack due to missing the off-season, but he couldn't block me in pass protection.

I think Joe McKnight is in serious danger of being cut (especially if Kerley continues to solidify his role as KR/PR). I thought Powell looked like a munch better natural runner than McKnight is.

McElroy has the arm of a 10 year old, but he showed some guts last night. Smart kid who learned from his early mistakes and make some decent throws, but he's just so limited due to the arm.

The new Ellis looked pretty good, as did Pitoitua. Wilkerson had a forgettable night, but looked ok.

6/7 for sanchez with the one incompletion being a drop by Milligan. Obviously they didn't do anything more than 3 step drops due to the O-line, but it was still positive.

Sounds like backup O-lineman Rob Turner could be done. Hope they sign Shaun O'Hara. He's a solid vet (3 time pro bowler) and a fellow alumni of my HS. Plus, he's still got some gas in the tank if healthy.
Vlad looked as bad as I've ever seen a lineman look. I said yesterday he looked like he was wearing the boots that the prisoners in the secret prison are forced to wear in Face/Off. I imagine playing 3 different positions doesn't help, but he looked awful.I didn't think McKnight looked good, but I also didn't think he was awful, and I thought he showed decent burst on a few carries, but Powell definitely looked better.

McElroy seems like Chad Pennington re-incarnated but you could probably do worse for a backup.

I'm thrilled with the DL play from last night, against one of the better OLs in the NFL. I loved watching Ellis hustling all over the field, and Pitoitua will absolutely be getting a lot of playing time this season. I was also very happy to see that Kyle Wilson looks a lot better.

Sanchez looked very good last night, and his accuracy was light years ahead of last year. On the drop by Mulligan, I was happy to see that Keller didn't go to his first read (Keller) and instead hit a wide-open guy downfield.

Jeff Cumberland looked very, very good. I know he struggles as a blocker but because of the matchup problems he can create as a receiver, I expect to see him on the field a good amount.

If Turner is out, I agree that the Jets need to get a backup OL ASAP. I'm not sure about O'Hara, because I'm not sure if he can play any position other than Center. Maybe Shawn Andrews could be had? The only problem is that he's crazy. After last night, Vlad is the 1st backup OL, and that definitely has me worried.

I've long worried about offensive line depth being an issue and it looks like it might finally come home to roost. Ducasse was overwhelmed which shouldn't be happening at this point like it did last night.

McKnight was fine running the ball but deadly in pass protection and not in a good way. Powell was a much better blocker last night. With Kerley getting returns and Powell looking as good as McKnight last night but a better blocker, not sure where that leaves The Vomit Comet.

And it was just announced that Turner broke his leg. I'd have to assume that he's out for the year, but even if he's not, signing a backup OL just became a huge priority.

McKnight was fine running the ball but deadly in pass protection and not in a good way. Powell was a much better blocker last night. With Kerley getting returns and Powell looking as good as McKnight last night but a better blocker, not sure where that leaves The Vomit Comet.
I dunno, McKnight looked ok in protection I thought. He stepped up at one point and really put a shot on the blitzing LB. Gruden, I believe, pointed it out as well.ETA: Ducasse looked just AWFUL. He looked terrible at guard, but when he was in at RT with the second unit... it was a disgusting display. I just hope he doesn't get Sanchez hurt.

I dunno, McKnight looked ok in protection I thought. He stepped up at one point and really put a shot on the blitzing LB. Gruden, I believe, pointed it out as well.ETA: Ducasse looked just AWFUL. He looked terrible at guard, but when he was in at RT with the second unit... it was a disgusting display. I just hope he doesn't get Sanchez hurt.
There was a point where all three guys in the booth pointed out McKnight getting run over though I can't recall by who. Happened a couple times.

'Andrew Garda said:
'njherdfan said:
Jets are going to be signing Aaron Maybin. The rest of the NFL better watch out :football: I doubt he makes the team :bag:
Did Rex miss Gholston?
exactly my thought.also... with the banged up OL, I'm not surprised they resorted to a lot of three-step-drops because they cannot afford to have Sanchez get his head handed to him after a rushing DL comes through Vladdy's revolving door

also.. any DL/OLB at 228lbs scares me.. I hope Maybin's got a killer motor because he surely looks like he lacks size

also.. any DL/OLB at 228lbs scares me.. I hope Maybin's got a killer motor because he surely looks like he lacks size
RE his weight From Rotoworld:

I think he's got some talent, some pass rush ability," explained coach Rex Ryan. "We don't need him to be a starter. We'll see." The Jets are essentially kicking the tires on Maybin, seeing if he has anything to offer on a one-year deal for the third-year minimum. According to reports, Maybin's weight is up to 242 after he initially reported to Buffalo camp at 228 following an offseason bout with pneumonia. Maybin drew high marks for his effort in Buffalo, but hasn't shown the ability to play football well at the NFL level. That figures to be his undoing in New York. He isn't guaranteed a roster spot. Aug 17, 12:58 PM

In other news.... Ignore function is pretty nice. Don't feed the animal.

I think he's got some talent, some pass rush ability," explained coach Rex Ryan. "We don't need him to be a starter. We'll see." The Jets are essentially kicking the tires on Maybin, seeing if he has anything to offer on a one-year deal for the third-year minimum. According to reports, Maybin's weight is up to 242 after he initially reported to Buffalo camp at 228 following an offseason bout with pneumonia. Maybin drew high marks for his effort in Buffalo, but hasn't shown the ability to play football well at the NFL level. That figures to be his undoing in New York. He isn't guaranteed a roster spot. Aug 17, 12:58 PM

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2011/08/15/conversation-with-national-football-posts-wes-bunting/Waldman has a great multipart interview with Wes Bunting from National Football post

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2011/08/15/conversation-with-national-football-posts-wes-bunting/in which Wes describes Maybin perfectly IMO:
Bunting: I wrote a piece this past year on some of my all-time flops, the biggest guys that I liked and learned from. Aaron Maybin was cut today. I liked Maybin coming out. He was a guy who I saw that explosive first step and he could drop his pad level around the corner and flatten out and I thought he would find a way to be productive.

The one thing I learned from Aaron Maybin more so than anyone as a defensive end or pass rusher is that you have to compare these guys along the same lines as pitchers in baseball. It doesn’t matter if you’re throwing 98 mph all the time. You have to have a change up or some type of off-speed pitch to keep batters or in this case tackles off balance.

And he was simply never able to do that. He’s not a bull rusher and there is no real change of direction or counter to him. And he doesn’t use his hands overly well. So no matter how good his fastball is, tackles could consistently time that up and reach him.
He might fit in well as a situational heat seeking missile who Rex won't ask much more of. The Jets need pressure, esp off the edge. That's pretty much all Maybin does.

:goodposting:

I wouldn't say I'm optimistic about Maybin, but if he can literally provide anything, he'll be useful. And, he'll probably get to rush against TEs and blocking backs a lot as part of Rex's scheme. I like the fact that there's no risk involved here.

any word on the Jets making a play at another interior lineman.. I'd heard some talk of Shaun O'Hara on 1050 yesterday, seems like a good option considering Vlad looks lost and Turner could be out for some time

Shonn Greene took his third handoff from Mark Sanchez in the preseason opener. Ahead, along the row of right hash marks, was a hole plenty big enough for the powerful running back to charge through, 19 yards of Reliant Stadium turf his to gain.When Greene popped back up, he gave a hefty pat on the back to John Conner — the second-year Jets fullback who, to no one’s surprise, opened the hole by plowing Texans linebacker DeMeco Ryans out of the way.The weekly “Play Like a Jet” video montage shown to the team featured one of Conner’s fearless blows on Ryans Monday night."Ooh, he’s a load when he comes through there,” coach Rex Ryan raved.It was a good start for last year’s fifth-round pick in his new role as the Jets’ starting fullback.Last year, Conner played no more than a handful of snaps each week, observing and learning from the player he would replace, 16-year veteran and three-time Pro Bowler Tony Richardson.Now, Conner is “the guy,” as he said, charged as the lead blocker for a well-respected ground game. Behind him most often during the regular season will be Greene, the designated “bell-cow.”“I’m trying not to feel the pressure,” Conner said. “I’ve been preparing myself for this since last year, taking on that role and being responsible, and trying to be the best I can be.”Conner, 24, won over Ryan in his first training camp with the Jets for being a hard hitter. “ ‘The Terminator’ got one!” Ryan often announced, referring to Conner by his longtime nickname. But the year under Richardson served him well; Conner had a chance to absorb the offense, while leaning on the veteran as a mentor and sounding board.Now the Jets are poised to take advantage of Conner’s physical ability — and have made certain tweaks to their scheme in the run game to do so.Running backs coach Anthony Lynn said he met with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and run-game coordinator Bill Callahan during the offseason about incorporating plays that fit Conner’s style.Conner, who is 5-11 and 245 pounds, is a “young hammerhead” who can be used as a drive-blocker, Lynn said, which means he will be asked to clear out the defender in a specified direction.If the fullback is asked to block the defender down the middle of his body, as the Jets did on many zone runs last year, that gives the running back an option of going one of two directions. But the coaches went over plays for this season in which the fullback is told to move the defender in a certain way — aiming at either his inside number or outside number — so the running back knows in advance where the hole is supposed to be.“It defines a hole for the halfback, where the halfback can be a little more decisive,” Lynn explained. “It doesn’t affect Shonn at all, it just makes him make the decision even quicker. That’s a little different scheme-wise.”Lynn was pleased with Conner’s performance Monday, because he saw the young player apply some of these new “fits” they have worked on during training camp. Greene was the beneficiary, and Ryans was on the losing end.They will continue to work on other areas of Conner’s game, so he can be used as a well-rounded fullback: Digesting the opponent’s defensive fronts. Moving to different places on the field, a new challenge after playing out of the I-formation at Kentucky. Getting out on pass routes more quickly so he can be an option for Sanchez.“Knowing I’m the guy this year, I don’t have T-Rich to help me out anymore,” said Conner, who worked on his explosiveness during the lockout at Ignition Athletic Performance Group in his native Ohio. “I have to know a lot of stuff on my own, so I’m just being confident and doing the best I can.”He and Greene, who played behind Tomlinson for most of last season, have room to grow together. Schottenheimer and Lynn have emphasized communication on the field, telling their young players the more they talk, the more they know what the defense is going to do.Conner and Greene keep up that communication in the film room, too, and on the field. Monday night in Houston, Conner smiled when Greene told him, “Good block. Good job,” recognition not always common for a fullback.“He’s continuing to get better,” Greene said. “While he’s getting better, I’m getting better, because that’s the guy that’s going to be blocking for me. We both want to get better together.”

Nice showing out of the tigh ends, Plac and Santonio today. Sanchez a bit up and down but looked great in that 99 yard drive

Defense pretty good all in all

I gotta say - this oline is worrying me. DBrick was manhandled by Mike Johnson tonight and the running lanes didn't exist. Bengals D is underrated but still....

One odd thing to me was Revis had one of his worst games. He got beat badly on the INT and also looked ugly trying to make a tackle on a completion to Green where Revis was playing very soft in coverage. Let's hope he was working out some pre-season kinks.

Thought Sanchez looked better. Early in the game, it seemed like they were forcing the ball to Plax, but as the offense got in more of a rhythm, I thought Sanchez looked a lot better. His TD to Plax was a great throw and great catch. LT really shouldn't be carrying the ball for this team at all. Just put him on the field for 3rd downs.

The defense looked decent. Maybin's sack made me happier than it should have, even though Maybin still showed no ability to turn the corner. He basically just sprinted past his guy and the QB kinda drifted back into Maybin's path. Whatever, I'll take it.

One odd thing to me was Revis had one of his worst games. He got beat badly on the INT and also looked ugly trying to make a tackle on a completion to Green where Revis was playing very soft in coverage. Let's hope he was working out some pre-season kinks.
plus he gave up that first down on that little hitch and go route... it wasn't a big deal but it caught my eye

This won't end well.

'Righetti said:
'Chase Stuart said:
plus he gave up that first down on that little hitch and go route... it wasn't a big deal but it caught my eye
Yeah, Revis definitely didn't look like he was at his peak last night. I'm not too worried about it. If Nicks beats Revis multiple times next weekend I might be a bit concerned.

Cool article on Tevaseu

I thought that drafting Ellis would mean that there was no chance for MTV to make the roster, but you can never have too much depth.

Sometimes one phone call can change your life.

For Martin Tevaseu, he placed that call in the spring of 2007 to Lenny Wagner, the defensive coordinator at Santa Rosa (Calif.) Junior College. Tevaseu had played defensive tackle for Wagner two years earlier before transferring to Arizona State. Things did not work out with the Sun Devils, and now Tevaseu was back in his hometown of San Lorenzo, Calif., facing a dilemma.

The night before, someone broke into his cousin Isaac’s house and shot him. Isaac died, and now Tevaseu’s friends and family were turning to him to lead the posse that would get revenge.

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

At this point, football seemed like a memory. He had ballooned up to over 400 pounds. He was running with a bad crowd. And now, they were all telling him to avenge his cousin’s death.

Something in Tevaseu told him to call Wagner first and ask his advice.

“You need to leave now,” Wagner told him, “or you’re going to end up the same way.”

Four years later, Tevaseu stands on a practice field at the Jets’ headquarters, remembering that conversation with Wagner.

“If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t be here right now,” Tevaseu said.

Where Tevaseu is right now is on the Jets for the second straight year, this time with a good chance of making the team. Last year, he spent the entire season on the practice squad until the AFC Championship Game when he was activated.

The Jets coaches are high on Tevaseu. The 23-year-old started Sunday night against the Bengals, with regular nose tackle Sione Pouha (knee) out. It was telling that Tevaseu got the start over third-round pick Kenrick Ellis.

“He played really well,” Jets coach Rex Ryan said. “He is really coming. There’s a guy that’s going to be hard to push off this roster.”

If Tevaseu sticks with the Jets, it won’t be the first time he’s overcome the odds against him.

He grew up in San Lorenzo with his father in prison and violence around him. His older brother, Logo, was arrested at 14 but was spared jail when a group home in Boonville, Calif., agreed to take him in.

A few years later, Logo brought Martin to the group home to escape San Lorenzo. Tevaseu began playing football at Anderson Valley High School, a school out in the country of about 300 kids where there were no more than 15 players on the team. They played on a field used for rodeos, and coaches turned on their headlights when it got dark during practice.

His brother had gone on to Santa Rosa Junior College, where Wagner is the defensive coordinator. Martin began hanging around the school at 15.

“He looked like he was 25 when he was 15,” Wagner said. “He was hard not to have on the radar.”

Tevaseu followed his brother to Santa Rosa, and then went to Arizona State. A leg injury and coaching change led to him leaving school and slipping back into the San Lorenzo street life.

After Wagner convinced him to return to Santa Rosa, he transferred to UNLV after losing over 100 pounds he had gained. He was a two-year starter for the Running Rebels.

Tevaseu went undrafted in 2010, and then signed with the Browns, who released him a month later. He returned to California and began coaching at Mendocino College when his agent called and said he had a tryout with the Jets a day later.

He impressed the coaches when he never missed a practice after breaking his left hand on the third day of training camp. He spent the year on the practice squad before getting his chance against the Steelers in the AFC title game when the Jets needed some depth on the D-line.

The Wednesday before the game, Ryan informed the team that Tevaseu would be active. The room began to applaud.

“It meant a lot,” Tevaseu said. “It meant that they trusted me. If everyone was like, ‘Uh oh, I don’t know’ my confidence would have went down.”

Friday, Tevaseu was lining up to play on the scout-team offense. He shouted “I’ve got left tackle.”

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine told him to get with the starting defense instead.

After practice, he placed another phone call to Wagner — this one to tell him he would be starting for the Jets.

Just got my Jets/Eagles tickets as an early Christmas present from my dad :football: My dad and brother are from South Jersey and are big Eagles fans, so I'm a little nervous about heading down to Philly and being surrounded by Eagles fans. Hopefully everyone will be so drunk they won't notice the shade of green on my jersey.

Just got my Jets/Eagles tickets as an early Christmas present from my dad :football: My dad and brother are from South Jersey and are big Eagles fans, so I'm a little nervous about heading down to Philly and being surrounded by Eagles fans. Hopefully everyone will be so drunk they won't notice the shade of green on my jersey.
Nicest fans in the world.

After waking up from the coma that last night’s game induced, I have a couple thoughts:

• Muhammad Wilkerson should not be starting- as of right now, Pitoitua is better than Wilk. Pitoitua can get off blocks better than Wilk can, and he seems to have a better understanding of his role in the defense than Wilk does. On a couple plays last night, Wilk failed to set the edge and instead pursued the ball carrier, which led to positive gains that should have been stuffed. It might not seem like a big deal, but Rex’s defense is predicated on getting other teams into 2nd and 3rd and long, and allowing positive running plays hampers that.

• Martin Tevaseu looked good-Most people, myself included, assumed that MTV had no shot of making the team after Ellis was drafted. But MTV looked very good last night and he had a couple plays where he got excellent penetration into the backfield. If Pouha gets the payday that he deserves from a different team after this season, a rotation of MTV and Ellis next season is looking a lot more feasible.

• The pass rush continues to struggle-This won’t come as a surprise to anyone who watches the Jets, but they continue to be unable to generate any kind of pass rush without blitzing. Rex certainly has some excellent blitz schemes, but they’re no substitute for being able to generate pressure with a standard four man rush. When the Jets didn’t blitz yesterday, Eli had all day to throw.

Powell v. McKnight?

McKnight had more carries and saw some work at KR. Powell had three carries and a score and was on the field during kickoff returns. Who can be the third RB? I think that the 3rd RB on the Jets would carry more of the load than LT if something were to happen to Greene.

Will the Jets carry 3 RB's or 4 during the season?

'OddibeMcD said:
Powell v. McKnight?McKnight had more carries and saw some work at KR. Powell had three carries and a score and was on the field during kickoff returns. Who can be the third RB? I think that the 3rd RB on the Jets would carry more of the load than LT if something were to happen to Greene.Will the Jets carry 3 RB's or 4 during the season?
McKnight is loads better than he was last year but he's still annoying the coaching staff with some poor choices and hesitation. He looked better last night (though his one punt return made him look like he froze solid). I don't think he runs as tough as he could, as evidence by getting stuffed last night and replaced by Powell, who scored right after.Powell has his own issues, though he too looked better last night. He's looked slow which I think - from watching him - that he's thinking too much. Of course, that's normal for many rookies. I'm still a HUGE Powell believer and I think he'll develop into a very good back. McKnight has really begun to turn my opinion of him around as well. I liekd him coming out of USC, though didn't love him. He was crap last year for most of the season, but he seems to have awoken and begun to put a lot of effort and work in.If Greene can't cut it, won't be shocked if we have a McKnight/Powell backfield in a year or two.

'OddibeMcD said:
Powell v. McKnight?

McKnight had more carries and saw some work at KR. Powell had three carries and a score and was on the field during kickoff returns. Who can be the third RB? I think that the 3rd RB on the Jets would carry more of the load than LT if something were to happen to Greene.

Will the Jets carry 3 RB's or 4 during the season?
McKnight is loads better than he was last year but he's still annoying the coaching staff with some poor choices and hesitation. He looked better last night (though his one punt return made him look like he froze solid). I don't think he runs as tough as he could, as evidence by getting stuffed last night and replaced by Powell, who scored right after.Powell has his own issues, though he too looked better last night. He's looked slow which I think - from watching him - that he's thinking too much. Of course, that's normal for many rookies. I'm still a HUGE Powell believer and I think he'll develop into a very good back. McKnight has really begun to turn my opinion of him around as well. I liekd him coming out of USC, though didn't love him. He was crap last year for most of the season, but he seems to have awoken and begun to put a lot of effort and work in.

If Greene can't cut it, won't be shocked if we have a McKnight/Powell backfield in a year or two.
Good assessment. McKnight seems to have a burst which Powell doesn't, but Powell doesn't appear to make the mental mistakes which frustrate coaches. As for the bold though, Greene's contract is up in 2 years. If he is the lead back for those 2 years, with his physical style, I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets decide not to bring him back after his rookie contract ends, which could lead to McKnight or Powell emerging as the starting running back. Just something to chew on for dynasty leaguers.

Excellent article on the implications of the Jets contracts

With the hurricane pretty much locking all of us in for the next day I thought it might be a good time to review exactly what the Jets did and did not do in free agency. Much has been made of the money the Jets have spent on players and where they stand with the salary cap. While I do not have an official number the Jets should be around 8.5 to 9 million under the cap when the season actually begins. Some of that money will be used to cover for injuries and make some in season signings, but the majority of the money will be carried over to 2012 and added onto the salary cap. The Jets also have $1.5 million in credits that they will likely take from the NFL. So before anyone gets worked up over what are some high contractual commitments on the books in 2012, the Jets will end up at least $7 million under the cap when free agency begins next year and that assumes that the cap doesn't increase 1 penny and that the Jets make no offseason moves. Onto the players:

Santonio Holmes

Holmes was the Jets top offseason priority and they locked him up fast. Holmes was originally reported to have received a much bigger contract that he actually received. The contract was actually for $9 million a year, very close to my estimates from a few months ago and firmly places Holmes as a top 10 player at the position. It is an interesting deal due to the fact that Holmes received such little money in the form of a signing bonus. The cap charges are relatively manageable except for when Holmes cap charge balloons to $12.5 million in 2013 with $11 million in cash salary of which $7.5 million is fully guaranteed. This gives the Jets a number of options with Holmes that year to either spread money out if he is playing really well or potentially ask him to take a pay cut if he is not playing up to expectation levels. The low signing bonus essentially means Holmes 4th and 5th years of the contract have no chance of being earned is he isn't playing at a high level. Cutting him in 2014 only incurs a $2.5 million cap charge, while Holmes would be scheduled to earn $9.5 million. So the 2013 high cap figure is probably nothing more than an on paper number for now and in no way should hamper the Jets in the future.

Some people have pointed out how Larry Fitzgerald's new contract, which is essentially QB money for a wideout, is going to upset Holmes in the future. With the Revis holdout still fresh in everyones mind, the feeling is Holmes will pull a Revis soon. Even if those are Holmes feelings the difference here is that Holmes is being paid right around the top 5 in the NFL. Will Fitzgerald's contract up the market? Absolutely, but who are the receivers who will surpass Holmes? Most of the big names are under contract for years including Roddy White and Andre Johnson. Calvin Johnson already earns more so his new deal will have no bearing on Holmes. Greg Jennings will jump Holmes, but guys like Dwayne Bowe likely will not. Even if they did, Holmes is still going to be in the top 10 at the position through the end of his contract. There is really no leg to stand on unless he is catching 1500 yards a year. If that happens he would have held out regardless of the new market set by the Fitzgerald deal.

David Harris

This was the one deal the Jets have done in recent years that I was way off the mark on. Harris was already signed to a 1 year fully guaranteed contract, so the actual extension here is 3 years for $25.9 million and a whopping $19.3 million in guarantees. Still, despite the bigger money reports, Harris' deal did not come out to be anywhere near the Pat Willis or Jon Beason numbers. Because the length of the contract is so short the real metric to look at here is the new money being paid out, which is slightly less than what DeMeco Ryans, Karlos Dansby, or Bart Scott were set to earn on their deals. So in that respect the deal isn't as far off as I originally thought.

Harris' agent claimed the Jets were interested in a longer deal but they wanted the shorter deal. Harris' contract is going to carry extremely high cap charges of $12 and $13 million in 2012 and 2013, so this may be a deal the Jets revisit as early as next summer. Harris is only set to earn $5 million in 2014 so there is a spot to throw some 2012 and 2013 money for cap relief by guaranteeing it in the future. The Jets may also just look to extend him further by bringing the annual value of the deal closer to that of the elite linebacker grouping.

Antonio Cromartie

Once the Jets lost out on Nnamdi Asomugha they went quickly to re-sign Cromartie. The Jets signed Cromartie to a short deal, which was probably a wise move since he will likely quickly lose value as he gets older and begins to lose some of his athleticism. Like Holmes, Cromartie received a relatively small signing bonus compared to the size of the contract. It's also heavily backloaded with $9.5 million coming in the last year of the deal, so the real contract is 3 years for $22.5 million, which is pretty good value for an above average corner. 2013 is the only season with a cap charge that is difficult. Cromartie is guaranteed to earn $4.7 million in 2013 with a cap charge of $10.75 million. If the Jets were to cut him he would count as $7.2 million in dead money against the cap, meaning a net savings of over $3.5 million. Cromartie's unguaranteed money that season is $4.8 million. It gives the Jets a near perfect scenario to ask Cromartie to take a pay cut to balance out the savings they would realize by cutting him. Unless he is significantly better than he is now, a $2.5 million paycut is completely reasonable and brings his cap charge down to the $8.25 million range.

Wayne Hunter and Eric Smith

I lumped these two together because neither is a large contract, but both are good illustrations of smart ways to lock up players that could become big contributors. It is a similar strategy that the Jets used with Sione Pouha and Mike DeVito a few years back, by locking them up at low costs and low penalties for cutting them. Neither Hunter nor Smith received a signing bonus on their deals making the total values of the deal essentially meaningless. The Jets guaranteed the first two years of the Hunter contract indicating that they have every intention of making him the starting right tackle for the near future and was likely necessary to keep him from signing elsewhere. So this is a 2 year $5 million deal, a bargain if he ends up being a starter these next two years, which helps offset the higher cost of the left tackle and center. If he plays well enough he could earn the final two years of the contract, which average $3.5 million a season, which are a bargain if he really nails down that starter position, but most likely the Jets will be in the market for a new right tackle in 2013 via the draft.

Smith's contract contains no firm guarantees past 2011, so this gives the Jets a good chance to get one more look at Smith before turning elsewhere. I've certainly been critical of Smith in the past, but with cap charges no higher than $2 million in the next two years and no cap penalty for a release, it is a solid signing to fill up the roster. With Jim Leonhard set to become a free agent after the year the Jets will have a decision to make as to whether or not they re-sign Leonhard or stick with Smith. I believe the team knows that the Safety position does need an upgrade with more of a playmaking potential but with so much money invested at corner they can't go out in free agency for a big name player. Most likely they will be looking in the draft, which no longer contains the same financial penalties that the old system often had. The Jets will pair one of their veterans with a young player in the future and this gives the team the flexibility they need to essentially make a free decision as to which veteran to use next year.

Bart Scott and Calvin Pace

These were the two big restructures the Jets made to give the team more flexibility in both 2011 and 2012. Both players took larger than reported paycuts in return for guaranteed money. Neither player was really in danger of being cut, but the Jets could at least put forth the argument that both could be released in 2012. What the team did was give the players an option of taking a paycut in both 2011 and 2012 and in return the Jets would fully guarantee their salaries in 2011 and 2012. This shows why guaranteed money in an NFL contract is by far the most important thing to a player and our often willing to take a little less money if you guarantee the remaining amounts of the deal.

Pace reduced his cap charge by $1 million in both 2011 and 2012 and, considering it would have been very difficult to cut him next year, it's a big savings for the team. The contract is now structured in a way to make certain Pace is cut from the team or extended by the team in 2013.

Scott took an even bigger paycut which is somewhat surprising since he is such an important player in the Jets defense, however the Jets have significantly more leverage with Scott. The team seems to have maintained a tremendous relationship with Scott and his agent as they have reworked his deal twice since Scott signed with the Jets in 2009 in order to best utilize the salary cap. Through some great cap maneuvering the Jets only had $3 million in dead cap money in 2012 and $1.5 million in 2013 for Scott, a really low amount for someone who was essentially a market setter at the position a few years ago. Scott gave up $1 million in 2011 and $1.4 million in 2012 and in return received $8.1 million in guarantees over the next two years. Nothing in the renegotiation will sway the Jets decision to release him as his cap charges and dead money charges in 2013 and 2014 remain exactly the same as they did prior to the renegotiation.

Player Losses Some have speculated that the Jets ran out of money for certain players or run at Asomugha cost that certain players, but it's likely not true. WR Brad Smith, who was little more than a kick returner on a team that churns out pro bowl kick returners left and right, received a 4 year deal from the Bills worth just under $15 million. Only $4.75 million is guaranteed and he could be cut next year with only a $1.5 million penalty, so clearly this was not the Jets being forced to wait by Asomugha despite what was being reported. The Bills just valued Smith more than the Jets and Smith will get an opportunity to do more in Buffalo than he could in New York…WR Jerricho Cotchery no longer figured into the plans here, but I think the Jets believed he would be willing to play for the minimum or close to it this season. In hindsight, if Cotchery was really expressing his desire to leave back in February the Jets made a mistake not cutting him as it cost them precious cap room by waiting until the year was underway. The Jets were correct in valuing him the way they did and he seemed to garner almost no interest around the NFL, but he just seemed insulted by everything the Jets did the last two years. He ended up signing for the minimum salary in Pittsburgh, no different than what the Jets were going to give him….WR Braylon Edwards had a limited market and signed for next to nothing in San Francisco, hoping to garner some attention under Jim Harbaugh and see the market increase when the new deals were signed, two things he needs to get the money he wants….DE Shaun Ellis was a part time player for the Jets and the team looked at him as a minimum type player. New England offered him $4 million. While the Jets certainly could have fit him under the cap in 2011 at the same figure, that money is better utilized in 2012 that for a part time player that fans wanted to see finish his career as a Jet

Users who are viewing this thread