What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICAL MINNESOTA TWINS 2010 THREAD*** (2 Viewers)

Dungeon Master

Footballguy
THOME

I love this. Play him at DH every third game against righties (and move Kubel to left) and use him off the bench so Brendan Flippin' Harris isn't the #1 pinch hitter. Only $1.5 million? If it's nothing more than a philosophical shift in the front office I'm in favor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice signing. You get 200-250 ABs out of him and break up that overly RH lineup. Props to you.

Just watch, though, he'll still have to play for the Royals and Tigers before he calls it a career.

"I don't expect him to come off the bench and be a .400 hitter. I expect him to come off the bench and be a threat," Gardenhire said. "He looks like stinkin' Babe Ruth. He swings like Babe Ruth. We've seen too many fly against us. Now let's see some fly for us."

Great quote by Gardy :thumbup:

Tough righty on the mound and Young sits, Kubel in left, and Thome to DH
Young has an OPS of 713 against righties. He should sit against every single one of them in favor of Thome.Both Kubel and Young are butchers in the OF so it doesnt matter who is out there all that much.

The Twins have reached agreements will all eight of their arbitration- eligible players: RHP Carl Pavano, LHP Francisco Liriano, RHP Pat Neshek, INF Brendan Harris, OF Delmon Young, RHP Matt Guerrier, SS J.J. Hardy and RHP Jesse Crain. This is good news for the Twins

The Twins have reached agreements will all eight of their arbitration- eligible players: RHP Carl Pavano, LHP Francisco Liriano, RHP Pat Neshek, INF Brendan Harris, OF Delmon Young, RHP Matt Guerrier, SS J.J. Hardy and RHP Jesse Crain. This is good news for the Twins
I don't know why the kept Crain and don't know why they gave Harris a 2-year deal, but the rest are good signings. If Pavano stays healthy that $7 million could be a pretty good bargain.

I don't know why the kept Crain and don't know why they gave Harris a 2-year deal, but the rest are good signings. If Pavano stays healthy that $7 million could be a pretty good bargain.
Twins are really short at INF thus Harris was signed. Twins need to improve at infield and need another vet pitcher.

With Thome in the fold, what's next?

Posted by Joe Christensen

with Jim Thome in the fold, the Twins' projected Opening Day payroll is at $91.4 million, at least according to my calculations. That's for the 25-man roster and up from $65.3 million last year.

What's their next move? As they showed with the Thome signing (one-year, $1.5 million with up to $750,000 in incentives) they are bargain hunting. They still have needs at second base and third base. Re-signing Joe Crede remains a possibility, but last we checked, he was still limbering up for workouts.

(*) FoxSports.com is speculating that the Twins are the third team pursuing 2B Orlando Hudson, along with the Nationals and Rays. I've been told Hudson had little interest in the Twins in the past but seemed humbled after last offseason, when he was a Type A free agent and had to settle for an incentive laden one-year deal with the Dodgers.

Hudson is a Type A free agent again, but the Dodgers did not offer him arbitration, so signing him would not cost the Twins a draft pick. One of the biggest allures to Hudson is the way he'd fit into the No. 2 spot in their lineup, between Denard Span and Joe Mauer. The Twins are discussing it, but my guess is Hudson signs elsewhere.

(*) FoxSports.com (same link, scroll down) also notes that LHP Jarrod Washburn remains interested in the Twins and Mariners. I checked on the Twins' interest in Washburn last week and was told they haven't made a new offer since Washburn rejected their one-year, $5 million bid in December. Was also told those talks took place before Carl Pavano accepted arbitration, so they may no longer want Washburn, even at that price.

This makes sense because their pitching staff is already crowded. Four starters appear set in Pavano, Scott Baker, Kevin Slowey and Nick Blackburn. Francisco Liriano, Glen Perkins and Brian Duensing are the leading candidates for the fifth spot, and one of them might need to move to the bullpen. Meanwhile, the bullpen already includes seven big league guys: Joe Nathan, Matt Guerrier, Jon Rauch, Jesse Crain, Pat Neshek, Jose Mijares, Clay Condrey.

Even without a Washburn signing, there is a log-jam there that needs to be addressed. Unless someone gets hurt in spring training (always a possibility), the Twins probably will have to trade a pitcher. Among the pitchers with minor-league options are Perkins, Neshek, Duensing and Mijares.

I've been told that several teams are interested in Perkins but want to see him throw in spring training, since he's coming off an injury-riddled season.

Note: The Twins need to trim someone from the 40-man roster to make room for Thome, but not until he takes a physical this weekend during TwinsFest. Thome's physical is an expected formality, but it buys the Twins time to deliberate the corresponding move.

Twins need to get some infield help soon

I think Thome should be playing every day v. righties, with Kubel moving to right field. I really like the signing by the Twins.

I think Thome should be playing every day v. righties, with Kubel moving to right field. I really like the signing by the Twins.
I agree, it would be nice to see Thome playing vs righties, but I guess we have see what Thome has left in the tank

Not sure about reliability, but Joe Christensen of the Star-Tribune is saying there are some "fringe" front office types claiming that a Mauer extension is already in place and they're just working the parameters in terms of deferred money. For what it's worth, Christensen says the extension is a matter of "when, not if".

Link

"It's right out there in front of everybody." — Twins manager Ron Gardenhire on his belief that the Twins must re-sign C Joe Mauer — and will.

Here's to hoping the Twins get this deal done :goodposting:

Denard Span sure would have his work cut out for himself in CF with those two butchers (Kubel and Young) manning the corners.

"It's right out there in front of everybody." — Twins manager Ron Gardenhire on his belief that the Twins must re-sign C Joe Mauer — and will.Here's to hoping the Twins get this deal done :goodposting:
:confused: I've heard enough from Yankee fans who are just assuming he'll be in the Bronx next year. Even as a Yankee fan I'd like to see Mauer return to the Twins personally, and I actually think he's the best overall player in baseball. He just belongs there.

"It's right out there in front of everybody." — Twins manager Ron Gardenhire on his belief that the Twins must re-sign C Joe Mauer — and will.Here's to hoping the Twins get this deal done :lmao:
:bye: I've heard enough from Yankee fans who are just assuming he'll be in the Bronx next year. Even as a Yankee fan I'd like to see Mauer return to the Twins personally, and I actually think he's the best overall player in baseball. He just belongs there.
Your right Yankee fans would like to have Mauer, but we need at least one star in Minny.

Lots of Delmon Young hate out of Twins fans. Understandably so. Reports are that Delmon lost 29 pounds and will show up to camp in better shape. Be interesting to see if this helps him avoid his regular slow start at the dish.

Left fielder Delmon Young changed his diet this offseason and lost nearly 30 pounds. He said he weighed 239 pounds at the end of last season but weighed in at 210 during TwinsFest.
Reminds me of how everyone thought Kubel was the worst hitter in Twins history a few years back. I still think Delmon has a chance to be a pretty good hitter.

A's claim Tolleson on waivers from Twins

Last update: February 2, 2010 - 3:30 AM

The Oakland Athletics on Monday claimed infielder Steven Tolleson off waivers from the Twins. The Twins tried to get Tolleson through waivers to clear space on their 40-man roster to add desiginated hitter Jim Thome, who could officially sign as soon as Tuesday.

Tolleson, 26, hit .270 with six homers and 27 RBI in 92 games at Class AAA Rochester last year after hitting .258 in 38 games at Class AA New Britain. A fifth-round pick in 2005, he was drafted as an infielder, but the Twins grew so concerned about his defense that they began to use him in the outfield last season.

I wish the A's good luck on this one

By JOE CHRISTENSEN, Star Tribune

Francisco Liriano's performance in the Dominican Winter League playoffs has been a hot topic at TwinsFest this weekend.

Liriano went 3-1 with a 0.49 ERA in seven starts, with 47 strikeouts and five walks in 37 innings. This after going 5-13 with a 5.80 ERA for the Twins last season.

"My arm feels way better," he said Saturday at the Metrodome. "Last year I had a bad year. Physically, I wasn't ready. Now I went home, rested for like two months and started working out. My arm feels great."

Liriano has trimmed down since the season ended, saying he concentrated more on running on and less on lifting weights, and the Twins are thrilled with his conditioning.

"I think Francisco realizes this is a big year for him," General Manager Bill Smith said.

"He could be our ace in the hole," manager Ron Gardenhire added.

Liriano's radar gun readings from the Dominican have been exaggerated in the past, but his fastball has been registering in the mid-90s again, with his slider in the high-80s.

Fair or not, comparisons are always drawn to his pre-elbow surgery form of 2006. On a scale of 1 to 10, if his fastball and slider were both 10s that year, where is he now?

"Fastball's a 9," he said. "Slider's a 10. It's back. It's not as hard as before, but sharp. Everything's working pretty good. Especially location. I've been locating my pitches pretty good."

Here's to Francisco having a comeback year :drive:

Twins in position of strength with Hudson, Washburn

Minneapolis Star & Tribune

The Twins are in a good position, as free agents Orlando Hudson and Jarrod Washburn finalize their decisions on where they want to spend 2010.

The Twins don't need either player. Sure, Hudson would be a natural fit in the No. 2 spot of the batting order between Denard Span and Joe Mauer. And sure, Washburn would give them another proven veteran for the rotation.

But the Twins already have two switch-hitting second base options in Nick Punto and Alexi Casilla. Both have been maddeningly inconsistent, but at their best, they've shown an ability to handle 2-hole duties. And the Twins already have a bevy of starting pitching choices that includes lefthanders Brian Duensing, Francisco Liriano and Glen Perkins.

Hudson is reportedly trying to choose between the Nationals and Twins. The Nats went 59-103 last season, so if Hudson wants to contend in 2010, that's an easy choice. From what we've gathered, the Nats have offered more money, though not enough for Hudson to accept, at least not yet.

So the Twins can set their price for Hudson and walk away if he won't accept. Same goes for Washburn, who already turned down a one-year, $5 million offer from the Twins. They made that offer before Carl Pavano accepted arbitration, and there's a sense they wouldn't offer that same amount now, with their projected Opening Day payroll already at $91.5 million.

If the Twins signed Washburn, it would almost force them to trade Perkins or Liriano in spring training. And if they signed Hudson, it would almost force them to trade Casilla. To make decisions like this, you can't just dwell on what these players did in 2009, you have to project for 2010 and beyond (in some cases), and then decide what these players are worth.

Let's take a closer look with statistical projections for next season from "The Bill James Handbook 2010."

Alexi Casilla (age 25, estimated salary $450,000): .258 AVG/.324 OBP/.330 SLG

Orlando Hudson (age 32, estimated salary $5 million with incentives): .280/.353/.409

Nick Punto (age 32, salary $4 million): .244/.330/.308

Glen Perkins (age 27, estimated salary $450,000): 4.82 ERA

Francisco Liriano (age 26, salary $1.6 million): 3.67 ERA

Jarrod Washburn (age 35, estimated salary $5 m with incentives): 4.09 ERA

I don't agree that the Twins don't need Hudson, I think they do.

Gopher State said:
The Twins don't need either player. But the Twins already have two switch-hitting second base options in Nick Punto and Alexi Casilla.
Ludicrous. I don't really care about Washburn, but they need Hudson. If two starters this year are Punto/Harris or Casilla/Punto and one of them hits second they already suck.

Fox to televise nine Twins games

Hey, Twins fans. Score one for fly-over country and put that inferiority complex on hold.

Fox has announced its regional schedule of Saturday games for this season and the Twins are slated to be one of four teams that will make the maximum number of nine appearances. The world champion Yankees are set for eight appearances as are the Red Sox, Cubs, Mets and Cardinals. Philadelphia, Seattle and Atlanta also will be on nine times.

The Twins will make their first appearance on Fox on May 29 when they play the Texas Rangers at Target Field. The rest of the Twins' games on the network will be June 19 at Philadelphia; July 3 against Tampa Bay; July 10 at Detroit; July 24 at Baltimore; July 31 against Seattle; Aug. 21 against the Los Angeles Angels; Aug. 28 at Seattle; and Sept. 4 against Texas.

The Twins are set for one telecast on ESPN's Sunday night schedule in the first two months of the season. That will come May 30 when they play host to Texas on ESPN2.

Fox released its entire schedule of games except for the final two Saturdays. Those two days are designated as "wild card" dates, enabling Fox to choose up to three regional games for those days.

JUDD ZULGAD

Fox to televise nine Twins games Hey, Twins fans. Score one for fly-over country and put that inferiority complex on hold.Fox has announced its regional schedule of Saturday games for this season and the Twins are slated to be one of four teams that will make the maximum number of nine appearances. The world champion Yankees are set for eight appearances as are the Red Sox, Cubs, Mets and Cardinals. Philadelphia, Seattle and Atlanta also will be on nine times.The Twins will make their first appearance on Fox on May 29 when they play the Texas Rangers at Target Field. The rest of the Twins' games on the network will be June 19 at Philadelphia; July 3 against Tampa Bay; July 10 at Detroit; July 24 at Baltimore; July 31 against Seattle; Aug. 21 against the Los Angeles Angels; Aug. 28 at Seattle; and Sept. 4 against Texas.The Twins are set for one telecast on ESPN's Sunday night schedule in the first two months of the season. That will come May 30 when they play host to Texas on ESPN2.Fox released its entire schedule of games except for the final two Saturdays. Those two days are designated as "wild card" dates, enabling Fox to choose up to three regional games for those days.JUDD ZULGAD
The new stadium probably has a lot to do with the national schedule. It is sweet. A friend of mine works for the landscape architect firm that designed the pavilion that extends over 394. Got a tour a few weeks back. Can't wait to sit in my seats during the Cardinals exhibition game.

Gopher State said:
Twins in position of strength with Hudson, Washburn

Minneapolis Star & Tribune

But the Twins already have two switch-hitting second base options in Nick Punto and Alexi Casilla. Both have been maddeningly inconsistent, but at their best, they've shown an ability to handle 2-hole duties. And the Twins already have a bevy of starting pitching choices that includes lefthanders Brian Duensing, Francisco Liriano and Glen Perkins.
Say what? When the fudge has Nick Sucko shown he can handle the 2 spot?Nick Sucko can't bunt. Can't hit. Can't hit & run.

When the hell has he shown he can handle the #2 spot?

Great Glove, non-existent bat

Hudson is signed. That makes 1-6 pretty strong for the Twins. If they get decent pitching I would say they are the favorites in the central.

I like what the Twins had done so far this off season

Trade for JJ Hardy

Added Clay Condrey

Added Thome

Added Hudson

Now if we just sign Mauer to a long term deal

It's going to be good race in the central, Tigers are improved especially at relief pitching, White Sox look strong, and I hope the Twins have improved enough to stay in the mix

I liking the Hudson deal more and more.

Last year the Twins second basemen combined to rank last in the majors with a .209 batting average and .569 on-base plus slugging percentage.

Hudson has a career .283 average and .778 OPS.

Payroll at almost 100m a little concern

Projected Twins roster, salaries

Last update: February 5, 2010 - 11:36 PM

STARTING LINEUP

1. Denard Span, CF $450,000*

2. Orlando Hudson, 2B $5,000,000

3. Joe Mauer, C $12,500,000

4. Justin Morneau, 1B $15,000,000

5. Jason Kubel, DH $4,100,000

6. Michael Cuddyer, RF $9,417,000

7. Delmon Young, LF $2,600,000

8. J.J. Hardy, SS $5,100,000

9. Brendan Harris, 3B $1,600,000

Ø Total for starting lineup $55,767,000

BENCH

DH: Jim Thome $1,500,000

INF: Nick Punto $4,000,000

INF: Alexi Casilla $440,000*

C: Drew Butera $400,000*

Ø Total for bench players $6,340,000

ROTATION

1. RHP Scott Baker $3,000,000

2. RHP Carl Pavano $7,000,000

3: RHP Nick Blackburn $450,000*

4. RHP Kevin Slowey $450,000*

5. LHP Francisco Liriano $1,600,000

Ø Total for starters $12,500,000

BULLPEN

RHP Joe Nathan $11,250,000

RHP Jon Rauch $2,900,000

RHP Matt Guerrier $3,150,000

LHP Jose Mijares $420,000*

RHP Jesse Crain $2,000,000

RHP Clay Condrey $900,000

RHP Pat Neshek $625,000

Ø Total for relievers $21,245,000

TOTAL (25 PLAYERS) $95,852,000

DISABLED LIST

Jose Morales, C $410,000*

*Estimated salaries

WAITING AT ROCHESTER

LHP: Brian Duensing $410,000*

LHP: Glen Perkins $460,000*

RHP: Anthony Swarzak $410,000*

RHP: Jeff Manship $410,000*

RHP: Robert Delaney $400,000*

RHP: Anthony Slama $400,000*

OF: Jason Pridie $400,000*

INF: Matt Tolbert $415,000*

C: Wilson Ramos $400,000*

INF: Luke Hughes $400,000*

INF: Trevor Plouffe $400,000*

Twins are spending at a greater clip this year, but with the new ballpark we should be ok

I love that they opened the wallets, I just hope it isn't a charade to get Mauer to sign and then, assuming he does, they'll cut back again.

And yes, Punto is making $4 million this year. Just like last year. And there is a club option for next year again, this time at $5 million. And I bet every Twins fan, just like me, is terrified that they're going to pick it up if he hits .280 this year.

-20 below windchill today, no new Twins news either. Its a cold day in Twins terrority.

Only good news today is 63 days to the opening of TARGET FIELD

-20 below windchill today, no new Twins news either. Its a cold day in Twins terrority.Only good news today is 63 days to the opening of TARGET FIELD
You plan on going to many games?I have myself a 20 game pack, looking forward to outdoor baseball. Even if it will be ridiculously cold the first month or so.

-20 below windchill today, no new Twins news either. Its a cold day in Twins terrority.Only good news today is 63 days to the opening of TARGET FIELD
You plan on going to many games?I have myself a 20 game pack, looking forward to outdoor baseball. Even if it will be ridiculously cold the first month or so.
I planning to go to about 6-10 games, should of purchased a game packI have been entering the lottery on the twins web site for tickets to the opening Boston series, fingers crossed my name gets pulled, so I get the chance to purchase 4 ticketsFamily likes to try get home run balls, so looking at US Bank Home Run porch area

I liking the Hudson deal more and more.Last year the Twins second basemen combined to rank last in the majors with a .209 batting average and .569 on-base plus slugging percentage.Hudson has a career .283 average and .778 OPS.Payroll at almost 100m a little concern
This from yesterdays Boston Globe. Bill Smith said the team did its homework on Hudson’s left wrist, which doesn’t bend fully and can inhibit him on backhanded plays. “We’re OK with it,’’ said Smith.The Dodgers weren’t, though. They thought the wrist affected him hitting the inside pitch, and in the field, he had to shade toward the left side to accommodate it. They also believe that Hudson prefers to hit down in the order.

I liking the Hudson deal more and more.Last year the Twins second basemen combined to rank last in the majors with a .209 batting average and .569 on-base plus slugging percentage.Hudson has a career .283 average and .778 OPS.Payroll at almost 100m a little concern
This from yesterdays Boston Globe. Bill Smith said the team did its homework on Hudson’s left wrist, which doesn’t bend fully and can inhibit him on backhanded plays. “We’re OK with it,’’ said Smith.The Dodgers weren’t, though. They thought the wrist affected him hitting the inside pitch, and in the field, he had to shade toward the left side to accommodate it. They also believe that Hudson prefers to hit down in the order.
Good information, did not know this about o-dog, we may have to rely more on Punto :lmao:

Gopher State said:
Good information, did not know this about o-dog, we may have to rely more on Punto :goodposting:
I was a big fan when he played with the D backs but he really got bit by the injury bug. He isnt getting any younger either. Great guy and funny to listen to though.

I love that they opened the wallets, I just hope it isn't a charade to get Mauer to sign and then, assuming he does, they'll cut back again.And yes, Punto is making $4 million this year. Just like last year. And there is a club option for next year again, this time at $5 million. And I bet every Twins fan, just like me, is terrified that they're going to pick it up if he hits .280 this year.
.280???I would crap a Buick if he hits .250

The outfielder, who was with the team from 1999 to 2005, agreed to play at Class AAA Rochester if he doesn't make the club.

By JOE CHRISTENSEN, Star Tribune

Jacque Jones helped lead the Twins to three AL Central Division titles from 2002 to 2004 before leaving as a free agent.

Now he's back. Sort of.

The Twins on Tuesday signed the outfielder to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.

After batting .091 for the Cincinnati Reds last spring and .311 in 28 games for the independent Newark Bears last summer, Jones is considered a long shot to make the Twins' Opening Day roster, but he agreed to play at Class AAA Rochester if he doesn't make the cut.

"He's looking to continue his career," Twins General Manager Bill Smith said. "He's been a good player. He's one of the reasons this team became competitive earlier in the decade. We're glad to have him back in our organization."

Jones, who turns 35 in April, could not be reached for comment.

His signing came as the Twins lost outfielder Jason Pridie to the Mets on a waiver claim. Pridie, who came to the Twins with Delmon Young and Brendan Harris in the 2007 trade that sent Matt Garza and Jason Bartlett to Tampa Bay, had an outside chance to help the Twins as an extra outfielder.

They placed Pridie on waivers to open a spot on their 40-man roster for newly signed second baseman Orlando Hudson. Now, the Twins are expected to keep four outfielders on their 25-man roster: Young, Denard Span, Michael Cuddyer and Jason Kubel.

The main concern is replacing Span in center field on days he needs a break. Cuddyer has played some center for the Twins, and in a pinch, infielders Nick Punto or Matt Tolbert can play outfield, too.

Jones, who spent time with the Twins in October during their Metrodome farewell celebration, hopes to regain his old form. He played with the Twins from 1999 to 2005, batting .279 with 132 home runs and 476 RBI.

He left in January 2006, signing a three-year, $16 million contract with the Cubs. Jones batted .285 in two seasons in Chicago before getting traded to the Tigers, who released him in May 2008. He had a brief stint with the Marlins that year before trying again last spring, unsuccessfully, with the Reds.

I like Jones but at 35 I hope has something left in the tank

I was a big fan when he played with the D backs but he really got bit by the injury bug. He isnt getting any younger either. Great guy and funny to listen to though.
He played in 149 games last year. He had his second highest total of plate appearances of his career.

LHP Francisco Liriano struck out 47 batters in 37 postseason innings for his winter ball team in the Dominican Republic, and his results have general manager Bill Smith and manager Ron Gardenhire excited. Liriano reported that his fastball consistently hit 95-96 miles per hour and that he located it effectively. He also said his slider was back to its 2006 form. Liriano is set to vie for the fifth spot in Minnesota's starting rotation this spring.

We really need a good year out of Liriano, so far so good, fingers crossed

Users who are viewing this thread