What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICAL MINNESOTA TWINS 2010 THREAD*** (1 Viewer)

Minnesota Twins Team Report

USA TODAY

INSIDE PITCH

Hours after clinching the American League Central, Twins manager Ron Gardenhire was finally willing to answer questions about the postseason and when the topic of his playoff rotation came up, the manager had answers. Gardenhire said left-hander Francisco Liriano will start Game 1 of the ALDS, right-hander Carl Pavano will start Game 2 and left-hander Brian Duensing will start Game 3.

The Twins have not decided whether to go with a three- or four-man rotation in the division series. If they opt for four, Gardenhire said right-hander Nick Blackburn is the current leader for that spot, leaving right-hander Kevin Slowey and right-hander Scott Baker out of the ALDS starting picture.

Gardenhire said the team opted for Liriano, who has never started a playoff game and has at times this year had trouble controlling his excitement and nerves in big games, in Game 1 because of his ability to dominate teams when he's got his best stuff. The Twins also wanted to split up left-handers Liriano and Duensing with a right-hander in Pavano.

"Pav knows what he's doing and Liriano, this is first shot at it," Gardenhire said. "With his stuff, electric stuff, he can go out and, if he gets on a roll, he can dominate a team. Knowing that you have the next guy coming in, Pav, who controls everything, is a good situation to have. See where you go with Liriano and Pav can probably settle the ship down or add on."

Did Liriano's penchant for being too hyped up in big games weigh in on the decision?

"Does it matter if it's Game 1 or 2 that he gets excited in?" Gardenhire asked. "I think either he's going to handle it or not handle it, whether it's Game 1 or Game 2. We'll have plenty of time to prepare up to that point for him. We'll see what happens."

If the Twins opt for three starters, Liriano would be in line to start Game 4 on three days of rest for just the second time in his career.

TWINS 5, INDIANS 1: Nick Blackburn gave up just one run — in the first inning — on five hits in seven innings of work on Wednesday as the Twins swept Cleveland at Target Field only hours after celebrating their sixth American League Central championship in nine years. With many of the regulars getting rest, five of the 10 players starting for the Twins playing at Class AAA Rochester at some point during the 2010 season.

1B Justin Morneau and his wife, Krista, welcomed their first child on Thursday morning. Evelyn Audra Sheryl Morneau was born at 4:33 a.m., weighing in at 7 pounds, 2 ounces. She was 20 inches long. Morneau has been out since July 7 with post-concussion syndrome.

congrat's to Morneau and his wife :lmao:

Yankees lose to Tampa and right now folks our Twins have the best record in baseball. Funny how those "experts" thought we were going to struggle after moving outdoors. :confused:

Twins-Detroit series preview

THREE-GAME SERIES AT COMERICA PARK

Tonight, 6:05 p.m. • FSN • 1500ESPN

LHP Francisco Liriano (14-8, 3.44) vs. RHP Justin Verlander (17-8, 3.46)

Saturday, 6:05 p.m. • FSN • 1500ESPN

RHP Carl Pavano (17-11, 3.60) vs. RHP Jeremy Bonderman (8-9, 4.92)

Sunday, 12:05 p.m. • FSN • 1500ESPN

LHP Brian Duensing (10-2, 2.19) vs. RHP Rick Porcello (9-11, 5.22)

TWINS UPDATE

Call it the Target Field factor. The Twins lead the AL with 38 triples. Thirteen different Twins players have triples, including Drew Butera and Jim Thome. Thome actually has two triples and had not tripled in a game since 2004 before this season. Thome hasn't hit a triple this month, but he does have seven homers and a 1.399 OPS. ... Despite going 0-for-4 on Wednesday, Danny Valencia is batting .373 with three homers and 13 RBI over his past 16 games ... With 801 career wins, Twins manager Ron Gardenhire is 71st on the all-time list and 12th among active managers. With a .553 career winning percentage, Gardenhire is 31st all-time and fourth among active managers. Only Joe Girardi, Bobby Cox and Charlie Manuel have higher winning percentages among active skippers.

TIGERS UPDATE

Despite playing on a team that's going nowhere, Miguel Cabrera is an MVP candidate. He leads the league in RBI, is second in OPS and third in batting average and home runs. Funny thing, though. Only four of his 35 homers are off lefthanded pitchers, and the Twins are starting two this series. ... Jeremy Bonderman's first major league start came against the Twins on April 2, 2003. He's a free agent after the season, so Saturday's start could be his last for the Tigers at Comerica Park ... Johnny Damon broke in with the Royals. His double on Wednesday against Kansas City was the 484th of his career, tying him with former Royal Hal McRae for 68th all time. ... With 1,489 wins, Detroit manger Jim Leyland is two wins from a tie with Clark Griffith for 19th on the all-time list.

Go Twins

Report: Gardy doubts Morneau will play this year

Star Tribune

In his weekly appearance on 1500 ESPN (AM 1500) Friday, manager Ron Gardenhire spoke briefly about first baseman Justin Morneau, who has been sidelined since July 7 with a concussion.

When asked for an update, Gardenhire said, "I don't see how it can possibly happen for him," regarding a September or October return.

Gardenhire added, "I hope I'm wrong."

:goodposting:

Joe Mauer will sit entire weekend

Ron Gardenhire didn't see any point in rushing the catcher back as he recovers from a knee injury.

By JOE CHRISTENSEN, Star Tribune

DETROIT - Twins catcher Joe Mauer will miss this weekend's series against the Tigers and is questionable for Monday's game at Kansas City because of a left knee injury, manager Ron Gardenhire said Friday.

Mauer jammed the knee Sunday and hasn't played since. An MRI exam Monday showed tissue inflammation in the knee, something the Twins and Mauer called good news. He had a cortisone shot Wednesday.

"I want to make sure he gets healthy," Gardenhire said. "There's really no sense in [Mauer playing]. If we give him plenty of time, we think he'll be clear; he won't have to deal with it."

Asked whether Mauer's knee had improved since the cortisone shot, Gardenhire said: "He's OK. That's why we're going to try to keep it that way. He's not perfect right now; that's why we're definitely not going to play him this series. We're going to give him plenty of time."

Morneau update

The Twins haven't declared first baseman Justin Morneau done for the season because they haven't ruled out the possibility that he will recover from his July 7 concussion by the end of the postseason. Maybe he would only be able to help them off the bench. Maybe he would be the replacement if another player gets injured. They don't want to close the door, and neither does he.

Still, Gardenhire is a realist. On his weekly radio appearance with AM-1500, the manager said, "I don't see how [a September or October return] can possibly happen for him. ... I hope I'm wrong."

Later, Gardenhire told reporters: "We just want him to do well for spring training next year. Anything that happens this year where he can join us or help us, that would be wonderful, but as I've said all along, we just want him to get well and go into the winter and go from there."

Span examined

Denard Span had a magnetic resonance imaging exam on his right shoulder Thursday, but Gardenhire said that was part of Span's routine end-of-year physical. The shoulder has been nagging Span for a while, and the oufielder was given three days off last weekend, but Gardenhire said the MRI didn't show anything of concern.

"Almost every one of these players is going to get an MRI," Gardenhire said. "Any injury they've had during the year will get checked out."

Etc.

• The Twins likely will play the Rays or Yankees in the division series, and Gardenhire said he's been watching their games "just because it's entertaining baseball. I don't want to get into, 'Boy I'd rather play these guys or those guys,' because neither one of them is going to be fun to play.

"Our goal is to make sure we get home-field advantage. That's our goal until the end of the season, and health. That's what I'm worried about more than anything else."

• Jim Thome wasn't in the lineup for the second consecutive game. "He's a little stiff today," Gardenhire said. "I think the [hotel] bed got him."

• Gardenhire said shortstop J.J. Hardy was fine to play Friday but gave him a chance to rest his problematic left wrist.

Report: Gardy doubts Morneau will play this yearStar Tribune In his weekly appearance on 1500 ESPN (AM 1500) Friday, manager Ron Gardenhire spoke briefly about first baseman Justin Morneau, who has been sidelined since July 7 with a concussion.When asked for an update, Gardenhire said, "I don't see how it can possibly happen for him," regarding a September or October return.Gardenhire added, "I hope I'm wrong." :confused:
Ah man, I was stillng holding out hope he could come back for the playoffs. Twins playing great with out Morneau for alot of the season and Nathan for whole season. Never would of thought they could lose two of their better players and do this well.Great job playing as a team and great job by Gardy all year.

Valencia hit a grand slam in the first inning and added a bases-empty shot off Tigers starter Jeremy Bonderman in the fifth. It was Valencia's first career multi-homer game.

Here's to Danny keeping it going for the playoffs :confused:

I was able to grab some tickets for the Thursday Oct. 7th Playoff game.. Section 141, Row 1, Seats 1 & 2.. :clap:

:shock: Just checked out craigslist.. Standing room only tickets are going for $100+ each :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
umm.. I know playing for home field isn't like playing for the division.. but :shock: 10 runs tonight to KC!!! really???

This after losing 11-10 the other night and getting swept by the tigers..

;)

Twins realize the season isn't over, right?
All 3 teams have been "bad" for the past week or so:Tampa - 5-5Twins - 4-6Yankees - 4-6Surprised Tampa and Yankees are basically sleep walking to the end. But they have already made it to the Playoffs and it doesn't seem to matter to any of them right now if they have home field throughout or not.

Is it time for the playoffs yet? Twins are board with this regular season stuff.
and so am I.. :yawn: Of course, it's hard to not be bored when the pitching staff is giving up 10,10,11,14 runs.. in the last week.. Can only hope it's due to a lack of care and not something else :unsure:

7:37pm Twins Vs YanksLirano Vs Sabathia Can't wait.Go Twins
Going to be a GREAT game!! IMO.. They win that one, they win the series against the Yankees.Going to Thursdays game with my daughter.. First row section 141! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to Thursdays game with my daughter.. First row section 141! :excited:
you lucky *******. nice. looking forward to a good series. if they can get the pitching they got this second half up until a couple weeks ago I think it should be a good series. sounds like everyone is healthy and good to go. :football:

OP What's with the thread title? It's playoff time get excited!!

Go Twins!!

Snogger I'm very jealous of you would be great to be at a game.

Went to Target Field on Sunday for the final regular season game.

1) The stadium was beautiful. I think I'm still partial to Comerica here in Detroit, but Target was a great place and it would be fun to catch some meaningful baseball there.

2) The fans are ridiculously nice. I wore a Tigers jersey and hat and not one person gave me any ####. Instead, people just wanted to talk baseball and ask about what the Tigers plan on doing next year. As much as I wish I could hate this team, the fans don't make it very easy.

3) The whole stadium was obsessed with Wally the Beerman. I actually met the guy when a friend of mine had him serve beer at his wedding reception and he was hilarious and very friendly. Bummer that the guy got canned after eons of work.

:censored:

Next season here are the changes I'd like to see.

I like Span, but he is seems disinterested at times.. See what we can trade him and find a Center Fielder with power.

J.J. Hardy either needs to learn that EVERY single pitcher knows he won't swing on the first pitch, or move along.

In fact, I know the Twins preach "patience" but it seems way too many of them sit back and watch first pitch strikes. Pitchers know this and are taking advantage of it.

If Thome wants to come back.. DO IT!

Pitching.. Liariano, Pavano and Duensing look set for next year.. Lock them up.

Slowey and Baker can go. To expensive for Bull pen, and not Starter material.

Blackburn is a ???? He has looked good since his return from being sent down. But he has looked good at times before only to completely lose it.

Keep Crain, Mahay, Rauch, Mijares, Fuentes, Capps... Nice Bullpen there..

Try to trade for a "star" pitcher..

:thumbup:Next season here are the changes I'd like to see.I like Span, but he is seems disinterested at times.. See what we can trade him and find a Center Fielder with power.J.J. Hardy either needs to learn that EVERY single pitcher knows he won't swing on the first pitch, or move along. In fact, I know the Twins preach "patience" but it seems way too many of them sit back and watch first pitch strikes. Pitchers know this and are taking advantage of it.If Thome wants to come back.. DO IT!Pitching.. Liariano, Pavano and Duensing look set for next year.. Lock them up.Slowey and Baker can go. To expensive for Bull pen, and not Starter material. Blackburn is a ???? He has looked good since his return from being sent down. But he has looked good at times before only to completely lose it.Keep Crain, Mahay, Rauch, Mijares, Fuentes, Capps... Nice Bullpen there..Try to trade for a "star" pitcher..
How does Nathan fit in?

:wall:Next season here are the changes I'd like to see.I like Span, but he is seems disinterested at times.. See what we can trade him and find a Center Fielder with power.J.J. Hardy either needs to learn that EVERY single pitcher knows he won't swing on the first pitch, or move along. In fact, I know the Twins preach "patience" but it seems way too many of them sit back and watch first pitch strikes. Pitchers know this and are taking advantage of it.If Thome wants to come back.. DO IT!Pitching.. Liariano, Pavano and Duensing look set for next year.. Lock them up.Slowey and Baker can go. To expensive for Bull pen, and not Starter material. Blackburn is a ???? He has looked good since his return from being sent down. But he has looked good at times before only to completely lose it.Keep Crain, Mahay, Rauch, Mijares, Fuentes, Capps... Nice Bullpen there..Try to trade for a "star" pitcher..
How does Nathan fit in?
the trend is two years to fully recover from TJ surgery so slowly work him in through the Bullpen.

snogger said:
Wooderson said:
:thumbup:Next season here are the changes I'd like to see.I like Span, but he is seems disinterested at times.. See what we can trade him and find a Center Fielder with power.J.J. Hardy either needs to learn that EVERY single pitcher knows he won't swing on the first pitch, or move along. In fact, I know the Twins preach "patience" but it seems way too many of them sit back and watch first pitch strikes. Pitchers know this and are taking advantage of it.If Thome wants to come back.. DO IT!Pitching.. Liariano, Pavano and Duensing look set for next year.. Lock them up.Slowey and Baker can go. To expensive for Bull pen, and not Starter material. Blackburn is a ???? He has looked good since his return from being sent down. But he has looked good at times before only to completely lose it.Keep Crain, Mahay, Rauch, Mijares, Fuentes, Capps... Nice Bullpen there..Try to trade for a "star" pitcher..
How does Nathan fit in?
the trend is two years to fully recover from TJ surgery so slowly work him in through the Bullpen.
I don't know if that's necessarily the trend. This year's success stories Jaime Garcia and Shaun Marcum had their surgeries at the end of 2008, missed all of 2009 and came back strong after 17 months off. But Marcum actually came back in mid 2009 but was shut down early due to a different injury. Garcia also made a few minor league appearances at the end of 2009.Nathan had surgery before opening day. It's not inconceivable that he'll be ready for the start of the season.

:lmao:Next season here are the changes I'd like to see.I like Span, but he is seems disinterested at times.. See what we can trade him and find a Center Fielder with power.J.J. Hardy either needs to learn that EVERY single pitcher knows he won't swing on the first pitch, or move along. In fact, I know the Twins preach "patience" but it seems way too many of them sit back and watch first pitch strikes. Pitchers know this and are taking advantage of it.If Thome wants to come back.. DO IT!Pitching.. Liariano, Pavano and Duensing look set for next year.. Lock them up.Slowey and Baker can go. To expensive for Bull pen, and not Starter material. Blackburn is a ???? He has looked good since his return from being sent down. But he has looked good at times before only to completely lose it.Keep Crain, Mahay, Rauch, Mijares, Fuentes, Capps... Nice Bullpen there..Try to trade for a "star" pitcher..
Baker is on the hook for the next two years, by the way, so you can't just get rid of him unless you trade him. Also Slowey is still arbitration eligible, so I would be interested to see what he's going to get before I just want to toss him. Pavano is going to be very expensive, as is Fuentes, and they're both full free agents so they're going to be other bidders for their services.Rauch, Crain, and Guerrier are all free agents, and Capps is arbitration eligible, so there are a ton of decisions to be made with this pitching staff, not to mention the middle infield where Hudson is a FA and Hardy, Casilla, and Tolbert are all arb eligible while Punto has a team option for next year that better damn well get bought out.With Mauer's big raise, Morneau's contract, Cuddy's option that was already picked up, Nathan's money if he's not injured, and what's sure to be a big raise for Delmon Young (arb eligible), they're already spending a bunch. This is going to be a different team next year, which makes this year's failure hurt that much more.

Users who are viewing this thread