What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2012 San Diego Chargers **** (4 Viewers)

Adding a bunch of free agents in the offseason <> regular season success. See: Redskins, Washington and Eagles, Philadelphia

Pagano promoted to DC.

“We’re going to go out and play fundamentally sound defense,” Pagano said. “It’s still about tackling the guy with the football and getting after the quarterback and covering people downfield. We’re going to do what we need to do to help the Chargers win football games.”
Great plan John, this solves everything.

Pagano promoted to DC.

“We’re going to go out and play fundamentally sound defense,” Pagano said. “It’s still about tackling the guy with the football and getting after the quarterback and covering people downfield. We’re going to do what we need to do to help the Chargers win football games.”
Well tackling would be a start. Preferably tackling the qb rather than a receiver 20 yards downfield on every third down.

Pagano promoted to DC.

This is a welcome change from the typical "we're going to be more aggressive on defense" comment that every new DC makes.

Pagano promoted to DC.

Well tackling would be a start. Preferably tackling the qb rather than a receiver 20 yards downfield on every third down.
Please. They commit a penalty in those situations at least 1/3 of the time.

some no name bumm as DC?

great.
Hey, this is the guy who coached Larry English to greatness. Show some respect.
who?
Jyles Tucker?
no really who is larry English? Sounds made up
Unfortunately he's not made up. Here's some entertaining hindsight info, which you may already be familiar with, but will help your current denial situation. Or make you cry. Matthews, Maualuga, McCoy, Maclin, Harvin, Oher, Britt, Nicks, Wells, the list goes on ... :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
some no name bumm as DC?

great.
Hey, this is the guy who coached Larry English to greatness. Show some respect.
who?
Jyles Tucker?
no really who is larry English? Sounds made up
Unfortunately he's not made up. Here's some entertaining hindsight info, which you may already be familiar with, but will help your current denial situation. Or make you cry. Matthews, Maualuga, McCoy, Maclin, Harvin, Oher, Britt, Nicks, Wells, the list goes on ... :cry:
AJ smith is living on his past, clearly he cant make a first round pick to save his life. 2legit and Vbrown showed some promise this year, but ughhhhhhh.....

The Chargers promoted Hal Hunter to offensive coordinator/offensive line and named former Colorado State Head Coach Steve Fairchild as senior offensive assistant/special assignments Tuesday, the latest of several changes to the coaching staff. Hal has been an important part of our offense since Ive been here, Head Coach Norv Turner said. He has a complete understanding of what we want to do in the run and the pass. Hunter spent the last six seasons as offensive line coach in San Diego after a lengthy college coaching career. Well-respected by the players and coaching staff for developing young linemen and helping high-level veterans continue to find ways to improve, Hunter received effusive praise from the likes of Nick Hardwick and Kris Dielman at the end of the season. San Diego started 11 different offensive linemen this season due to a spate of injuries, but once the Chargers claimed Jared Gaither off waivers, Hunter helped stabilize the unit, which made the offensive outburst in the final five games possible. (San Diego scored at least 34 points four times in December and January). The Chargers also are the only NFL team to throw for 4,500 yards and rush for 1,800 in each of the last two seasons, production Hunter has helped create. Hunter made an immediate impact as the Chargers ranked second in the NFL in rushing in 2006, his first season on the staff. San Diego has averaged 1,907 rushing yards in Hunters six seasons and scored 115 touchdowns on the ground. The Chargers also have scored at least 400 points in an NFL-record eight straight seasons, including all six with Hunter on the staff. A college linebacker for Northwestern, a neck injury ended his career prematurely in 1978. Fairchild is returning back to the city where his football career began as an All-American quarterback for San Diego Mesa Community College. Fairchild also spent four seasons as an assistant at San Diego State. Hes spent the majority of his career outside of San Diego in Fort Collins, Colo., where he finished his playing career, was an assistant coach from 1993-2000 and became Colorado States head coach from 2008-11. Fairchilds NFL experience includes a stint as the Buffalo Bills running backs coach (2001-02), the St. Louis Rams assistant offensive coordinator (2003-05) and the Bills offensive coordinator (2006-07). Fairchild also brought in Philip Rivers for an intensive session with offensive coaches to brainstorm different concepts at CSU this spring, according to the Denver Post. Fairchilds offensive coordinator at CSU, Pat Meyer, was the strength and conditioning coach at North Carolina State when Rivers was in college. Hunter replaces Clarence Shelmon, who is not planning on coaching in the NFL in 2012. The Carolina Panthers announced Steve Wilks as their new secondary coach earlier this week, leaving a vacancy on the Chargers staff.
yawn

McNeil to be cut? Castillo maybe?http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/feb/07/chargers-have-room-move/Gonna be a crazy offseason...
McNeil may never play againAnd buy bye to Castillo. Bust cityAlso I hope kaeding gets cut and they play Novak all yearCut tko spikes too he's toast

Reports are that VJax wont be signed either. They dont plan to tag him allowing the FA feeding frenzy to drive the price above what SD wants.

Chargers are not trying to win. Don't see how this team is better without vjax
Rivers was fine without him in 2010 and with so many holes the money would be better spent elsewhere.
Im talking about team success here.They havent made the playoffs in 2 seasons. I dont think the offense will be any better without him unless they sign a UFA WR with a similar skill set. gates is another year older and couldnt break the double teams last year. If the starting WRs are Floyd and V.brown, I dont think thats very good.

Rivers was fine without him in 2010 and with so many holes the money would be better spent elsewhere.
Im talking about team success here.They havent made the playoffs in 2 seasons. I dont think the offense will be any better without him unless they sign a UFA WR with a similar skill set. gates is another year older and couldnt break the double teams last year. If the starting WRs are Floyd and V.brown, I dont think thats very good.
It comes down to whether I think VJax is worth the money he wants and for me he isn't. I'd rather sign Meachem for less money.

'cstu said:
'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
'cstu said:
It comes down to whether I think VJax is worth the money he wants and for me he isn't. I'd rather sign Meachem for less money.
:X

'cstu said:
'cstu said:
exactly. meachem? jesus christ

I wouldn't break the bank for VJax. We have a tendency to place way more importance on the WR position than we actually should because it is one of those "skill" positions that we can monitor with hard stats. I also think VJax is overrated. He has decent speed, good hands, nice strength, leap, and all that, but he also has a tendency to completely disappear. Why would you want to invest a ton of money on a guy that has about a 50/50 chance to not have any influence on the game at all?

What do you Charger fans think of Ryan Mathews for 2012. He looked great down the stretch next year and I hear rumblings that Tolbert might not be back. Thoughts? Thanks.

What do you Charger fans think of Ryan Mathews for 2012. He looked great down the stretch next year and I hear rumblings that Tolbert might not be back. Thoughts? Thanks.
I think he is a top 5-10 dynasty RB. As I've posted before, that's why I traded Roddy White for him straight up last offseason. Clearly, he can be top 10 even with Tolbert on the team, as he showed this season. If Tolbert doesn't return, his TD potential certainly goes up, and he would be in the 4-6 range IMO.

exactly. meachem? jesus christ
Rivers makes players look good so why spend $10M a year on guy who disappears in games? I know we all want VJax to be a stud but he's a flawed player. Meachem is hardly the perfect replacement but he can fill much of VJax's role for fraction of the price.

I think he is a top 5-10 dynasty RB. As I've posted before, that's why I traded Roddy White for him straight up last offseason. Clearly, he can be top 10 even with Tolbert on the team, as he showed this season. If Tolbert doesn't return, his TD potential certainly goes up, and he would be in the 4-6 range IMO.
:goodposting: The Charges Oline is terrible and the kid produced, he was rb6 in most ppr leagues this past year.Just need to toughen up a bit and play through the injuries.As a bolt fan I want Tolbert back, as a Mathews owner letting him walk would be fine by me. I think Tolbert could garner interest in FA, he is a Steeler type runner

:goodposting: The Charges Oline is terrible and the kid produced, he was rb6 in most ppr leagues this past year.

Just need to toughen up a bit and play through the injuries.

As a bolt fan I want Tolbert back, as a Mathews owner letting him walk would be fine by me.

I think Tolbert could garner interest in FA, he is a Steeler type runner
Very much agree on the bolded.As a Charger fan I am ok with Tolbert leaving. Norv and staff has become very predicatable and teams know whats coming with each RB in the game. I saw a few reports (sorry no links) stating this. Norv never figured out how to use Sproles and cant seem to use Mathews and Tolbert as a tandem. Mathews can be a workhorse. But Norv insists on throwing Tolbert in there and calling plays that Mathews should be running. Its maddening.

If SD lets VJax walk and brings in someone like Meacham or the other "low cost options" I have read (wayne, lloyd) I really will jump off the fan wagon for another team. Manningham or Bowe could be ok, but I do not see Bowe as any different then VJax.

Tolbert may not be nearly as talented as Mathews but he represents the only physical component of the offense. He contributes selflessly on special teams. He's a weapon in the passing game as both a blocker and receiver. With the number of RB's that float around the league every year I doubt very much it would cost much to retain his services. I don't think anyone around the league views Tolbert as an every down back.

Those people that just think Mathews is going to take over and be a carry-the-entire-load RB are suffering from wishful thinking imo. Every time Mathews hits the ground awkwardly I get that Freeman McNeil feeling hoping he'll bounce back up. Even if they let Tolbert walk they'll need to invest either a decent pick or FA $ in another RB. The prospect of seeing Jacob Hester on the field more often certainly doesn't excite me.

In the end none of this really matters if they don't find a way to protect their own QB and put pressure on the QB of the opponent. I wouldn't spend much money or high draft picks on any of the skill positions until they get that part of the equation sorted out.

Tolbert may not be nearly as talented as Mathews but he represents the only physical component of the offense. He contributes selflessly on special teams. He's a weapon in the passing game as both a blocker and receiver. With the number of RB's that float around the league every year I doubt very much it would cost much to retain his services. I don't think anyone around the league views Tolbert as an every down back.

Those people that just think Mathews is going to take over and be a carry-the-entire-load RB are suffering from wishful thinking imo. Every time Mathews hits the ground awkwardly I get that Freeman McNeil feeling hoping he'll bounce back up. Even if they let Tolbert walk they'll need to invest either a decent pick or FA $ in another RB. The prospect of seeing Jacob Hester on the field more often certainly doesn't excite me.

In the end none of this really matters if they don't find a way to protect their own QB and put pressure on the QB of the opponent. I wouldn't spend much money or high draft picks on any of the skill positions until they get that part of the equation sorted out.
bolded - Mathews had 100 more carries than Toblert and had a ypc of 4.9 vs 4.1. He will get an even bigger part of the load in 2012. I have no doubts about this (health being the issue)Italics - I couldnt agree more. the Oline and pass rush need work badly, Im hoping getting rid of Manusky and his old LBs (Spikes and LaBoy) will help. But Jammer is a year older and Cason didnt impress either. The Defense lacks play makers.

He will get an even bigger part of the load in 2012. I have no doubts about this (health being the issue)
That's all fine and good. I began by saying Mathews is much more talented than Tolbert. I'm sure any raider fan will tell you Darren McFadden will be an NFL MVP candidate(HEALTH BEING THE ISSUE).I know one of the mantras here at FBG's has been "You can't predict injuries" but I'd like to ask those people how many games they are penciling in for Bob Sanders next season? I figured they signed him to use him as a nickel back most of the time. Keep him in for key series in games. Maybe play him most of the time in key divisional games or against potential playoff opponents. Start him in the playoffs if they made the playoffs. Instead they seemed to just blow through his (predictable) precious few snaps each season. If I read that the plan next year was to give Sanders an even larger % of the snaps next season and he should be an all-pro(health being the issue) I'd roll my eyes.These guys are extremely talented. While Mathews hasn't proven to be fragile as Sanders yet, in my opinion you get the most out of them and keep them fresh, healthy, and productive by distributing their contributions over the course of a season. It's not a coincidence that the NFL has gone almost entirely to a RBBC league. Taking a player who has a history of injuries, increasing his work load and expecting him to have less injuries is a recipe for disaster.

:goodposting: The Charges Oline is terrible and the kid produced, he was rb6 in most ppr leagues this past year.

Just need to toughen up a bit and play through the injuries.

As a bolt fan I want Tolbert back, as a Mathews owner letting him walk would be fine by me.

I think Tolbert could garner interest in FA, he is a Steeler type runner
Very much agree on the bolded.As a Charger fan I am ok with Tolbert leaving. Norv and staff has become very predicatable and teams know whats coming with each RB in the game. I saw a few reports (sorry no links) stating this. Norv never figured out how to use Sproles and cant seem to use Mathews and Tolbert as a tandem. Mathews can be a workhorse. But Norv insists on throwing Tolbert in there and calling plays that Mathews should be running. Its maddening.

If SD lets VJax walk and brings in someone like Meacham or the other "low cost options" I have read (wayne, lloyd) I really will jump off the fan wagon for another team. Manningham or Bowe could be ok, but I do not see Bowe as any different then VJax.
I agree that Norv's rotations have sometimes been frustrating; I think Mathews is a better goal line option than Tolbert despite Tolbert's physicality. That being said, the Tolbert/Mathews combo was extremely productive so it's hard to be overly critical of Norv.

Italics - I couldnt agree more. the Oline and pass rush need work badly, Im hoping getting rid of Manusky and his old LBs (Spikes and LaBoy) will help. But Jammer is a year older and Cason didnt impress either. The Defense lacks play makers.
I guess that's one of the benefits of having so many holes - there will likely be someone available at 18 who can be ready to step in and fill an immediate need.If Hardwick, Deilman, McNeil, and Gaither all return (likely), I think the OL is in decent shape if everyone is healthy. I'd rather use the 1st rounder at corner or LB. I'll get blasted for this, but I won't be angry if they look at WR with the 1st rounder. I like what Brown brought to the table, but I've completely lost faith in Floyd to stay healthy. Adding one more playmaking target for Philip would really help the offense.

Italics - I couldnt agree more. the Oline and pass rush need work badly, Im hoping getting rid of Manusky and his old LBs (Spikes and LaBoy) will help. But Jammer is a year older and Cason didnt impress either. The Defense lacks play makers.
I guess that's one of the benefits of having so many holes - there will likely be someone available at 18 who can be ready to step in and fill an immediate need.If Hardwick, Deilman, McNeil, and Gaither all return (likely), I think the OL is in decent shape if everyone is healthy. I'd rather use the 1st rounder at corner or LB. I'll get blasted for this, but I won't be angry if they look at WR with the 1st rounder. I like what Brown brought to the table, but I've completely lost faith in Floyd to stay healthy. Adding one more playmaking target for Philip would really help the offense.
Kendall Wright would be sweet, but AJ likes his WRs Big. The offense seems to click better with Floyd in there for whatever reason. Personally I want Floyd, Vjax, V. Brown and Gates on the field at all times.

Chargers | Interested in bringing back Antonio Garay Fri Feb 17, 02:59 PM The San Diego Chargers are expected to show interest in impending free-agent DT Antonio Garay if he willing to return at a reasonable cost.Link to storyAntonio Garay player page
Great the only decent Dlineman they got might leave via FA.Yiipee, cant wait for AJ to bring Lou Castillo back and get hurt in game 3.

If Hardwick, Deilman, McNeil, and Gaither all return (likely), I think the OL is in decent shape if everyone is healthy.
From that group you have Hardwick contemplating retiring...http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/dec/28/chargers-hardwick-might-retire/... Dielman coming back from a concussion that caused seizures last season, and McNeil who has his own medical risks that have caused his play to decline to the level I think he should have to fight for a roster spot let alone a starting position. That shockingly good rookie year is a fading memory at this point.I'm a fan of Gaither but even I have to admit that's a guy that has been released twice in the past year.Until this team gets serious about protecting Rivers and establishing a better run game with the OL I don't consider them a contender for anything more than divisional title. Pre-Marty that would have been great, but now a decade later it falls a little flat.

benson_will_lead_the_way made these comments in the 2012 Bears thread. We are debating Stevie Johnson vs VJax. Anyone care to comment? My main issue is with his claim that Jackson quits on routes. I haven't watched him closely enough to know if this is true or not. What do you Charger Fans think?

Vincent Jackson is 29 years old.His 3 best seasons:59 receptions 1098 yards 7 TD68 receptions 1167 yards 9 TD60 receptions 1106 yards 9 TDSteve Johnson is 25 years old.His 2 best seasons(not much playing time his first 2 years):82 receptions 1073 yards 10 TD76 receptions 1004 yards 7 TDIs it really that big of a difference?
Ever see them play?
No i've never seen anyone play :rolleyes:
I think Stevie is a great receiver but definitely not on the level of Jackson. All states aside, Jackson is definitely the superior receiver, imo.
4 years age difference...Fitzpatrick vs Rivers...I'd go with Stevie Johnson.The only thing Jackson has is hype. They both drop key passes, but i've seen Jackson give up on too many routes and leave rivers out to dry. He won't put out as much effort once he's paid IMO.

benson_will_lead_the_way made these comments in the 2012 Bears thread. We are debating Stevie Johnson vs VJax. Anyone care to comment? My main issue is with his claim that Jackson quits on routes. I haven't watched him closely enough to know if this is true or not. What do you Charger Fans think?
I've seen him quit on routes. Other people have suggested he doesn't quit on routes he just loses the ball and stops. I'm not sure that's better. On the other hand he really puts forth a great effort blocking. He's a hard guy to figure out. They both are. I think fantasy football fans have a higher opinion of both these guys than they really deserve. They may put up solid stats(in generally good situations btw) but I'd hate to have to much hinging on the judgement of either of them.

'BoltBacker said:
'ditka85 said:
I've seen him quit on routes. Other people have suggested he doesn't quit on routes he just loses the ball and stops. I'm not sure that's better. On the other hand he really puts forth a great effort blocking. He's a hard guy to figure out. They both are. I think fantasy football fans have a higher opinion of both these guys than they really deserve. They may put up solid stats(in generally good situations btw) but I'd hate to have to much hinging on the judgement of either of them.
VJax might be the most over-rated WR in the NFL and not worth the money he's going to get. He's certainly talented but he drives me crazy with his inconsistency. I don't think the Stevie/VJax comparison is all that far off.

I guess that's one of the benefits of having so many holes - there will likely be someone available at 18 who can be ready to step in and fill an immediate need.If Hardwick, Deilman, McNeil, and Gaither all return (likely), I think the OL is in decent shape if everyone is healthy. I'd rather use the 1st rounder at corner or LB.

I'll get blasted for this, but I won't be angry if they look at WR with the 1st rounder. I like what Brown brought to the table, but I've completely lost faith in Floyd to stay healthy. Adding one more playmaking target for Philip would really help the offense.
Kendall Wright would be sweet, but AJ likes his WRs Big. The offense seems to click better with Floyd in there for whatever reason. Personally I want Floyd, Vjax, V. Brown and Gates on the field at all times.
I wouldn't be opposed to taking Michael Floyd in the 1st if he's there.

Oof. Dielman is retiring. Sad story, and his health comes first, so I'm glad he's making this decision if his health is still an issue.

But it's a big blow to the Bolts. By far their best OL. Gone just like that. Ouch. :wall:

Oof. Dielman is retiring. Sad story, and his health comes first, so I'm glad he's making this decision if his health is still an issue.But it's a big blow to the Bolts. By far their best OL. Gone just like that. Ouch. :wall:
Yeah I saw this earlier today. Ugh. They need to spend some serious resources on oline - and dline. And some kind of pass rusher. I don't know what that means for V. Jackson. Sounds like McNeil and Castillo are both gone, so that should save them some dough. Sounds like A.J. is keeping Spikes.

What do most San Diegans think is the reason for Rivers decline? It was like he fell off a cliff last year. What is needed to fix the issue this off season?

Users who are viewing this thread