What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2012 San Diego Chargers **** (3 Viewers)

What do most San Diegans think is the reason for Rivers decline? It was like he fell off a cliff last year. What is needed to fix the issue this off season?
I think if you look like his season as a whole the "decline" is a bit overblown. In terms of fantasy production he fell off a cliff if 86 yard and 3 TD is falling off a cliff. While '11 may have been one of his worst as a pro, his QB rating of 89 is a good year for most QB's out there. Ideally, his production really would fall off a cliff in '12 because the team would run more often and better which would help both Rivers efficiency and the defense next year.The real reason he had a down year was because of the TO's and the fact he had so many during the Charger skid. Some of them also looked TERRIBLE. Trying to throw the ball in the ground at CHI to have it intercepted(he was outside the pocket at the time so he literally could have spiked the ball 4" in front of with no grounding call). The fumble in KC. Being intercepted by a DL, even a great one like Jared Allen, just looks terrible. One would hope that the high number of TO's was an anomaly based on the #'s over the course of his career and we see a regression towards the mean. This only underlines how important he is the franchise and how much pressure the franchise is putting on him to save the team every week. It would be crazy for the team to do anything other than pour every resource possible at protecting him... but I honestly doubt they do that based on their decision making in the past. The poor play of the OL cost the team the playoffs last year and Rivers made the probowl despite the protection, certainly not because of it. Until the franchise gets serious about protecting him all the hand-wringing about the contracts of guys like VJ and Sproles is more than a little misguided imo. This is a fantasy board so I understand why the impact of those type of guys is WAY overhyped on this board. The team really needs grind it out guys that can win the battle in the trenches on both sides of the ball more than anything else. The problem is they need so many of them on both sides of the ball it's a little unrealistic to think they can fix that problem in a single offseason.

pass blocking, an in-shape gates, better patience. He should be fine.
I'm not so sure we can count on that. I certainly wasn't one of the people saying the sky-is-falling with Gates early last year(I was actually advocating "buy low" from all those people) but I think going forward you have to pencil him in for closer to ~800/8 than ~1000/10. He still draws a ton of double teams, especially when they get the ball in the red zone which should help the rest of the offense a great deal even if it doesn't show up in the box score.Of the three you listed better patience is the most reasonable to expect, but I'll believe in better pass blocking and a healthier Gates when I see it.

Word on the street is that Tolbert is on the way out of SD. He has to be a little irked that Mathews overtook him as the starter. If Tolbert leaves, will the SD coaches give Mathews the go-ahead to "pull himself out of the game" when he is tired? In other words, would he move away from the 1A and 1B scenario Mathews and Tolbert were in to a full time #1 RB that only takes himself out of the game when winded? Would this Brinkley cat move to the #2 role?

What do most San Diegans think is the reason for Rivers decline? It was like he fell off a cliff last year. What is needed to fix the issue this off season?
I think if you look like his season as a whole the "decline" is a bit overblown. In terms of fantasy production he fell off a cliff if 86 yard and 3 TD is falling off a cliff. While '11 may have been one of his worst as a pro, his QB rating of 89 is a good year for most QB's out there. Ideally, his production really would fall off a cliff in '12 because the team would run more often and better which would help both Rivers efficiency and the defense next year.The real reason he had a down year was because of the TO's and the fact he had so many during the Charger skid. Some of them also looked TERRIBLE. Trying to throw the ball in the ground at CHI to have it intercepted(he was outside the pocket at the time so he literally could have spiked the ball 4" in front of with no grounding call). The fumble in KC. Being intercepted by a DL, even a great one like Jared Allen, just looks terrible. One would hope that the high number of TO's was an anomaly based on the #'s over the course of his career and we see a regression towards the mean. This only underlines how important he is the franchise and how much pressure the franchise is putting on him to save the team every week. It would be crazy for the team to do anything other than pour every resource possible at protecting him... but I honestly doubt they do that based on their decision making in the past. The poor play of the OL cost the team the playoffs last year and Rivers made the probowl despite the protection, certainly not because of it. Until the franchise gets serious about protecting him all the hand-wringing about the contracts of guys like VJ and Sproles is more than a little misguided imo. This is a fantasy board so I understand why the impact of those type of guys is WAY overhyped on this board. The team really needs grind it out guys that can win the battle in the trenches on both sides of the ball more than anything else. The problem is they need so many of them on both sides of the ball it's a little unrealistic to think they can fix that problem in a single offseason.
I agree and have to add the playcalling was also atrocious. What do most "experts" tell you counters a good pass rush? Screens and draws. I cant recall SD throwing very many screens. Everything about the playcalling seemed to be about big plays and not the move the chains get into a rhythm and get the def off balance.I have also read reports (sorry no link) that Norv has a vanilla playbook early in the season then a complex one for later. IF true, he puts the offense into a hole to start the season and the pressure to come back seems to be too much year after year. Makes no sense.

Tackle: Gaither(OBVIOUSLY), McKenzie(NYG)

Guard: Grubbs(BAL), Brisiel(HOU)

Center: Myers(HOU), Koppen(NE)

How many of these guys could be signed for the $10-$13mil/season that people are talking about giving Vincent Jackson? I think last season proved Vincent Jackson is not the missing piece that makes SD a SB contender contrary to all the expert opinions a year earlier. This team has far too many holes to fill to overspend on a WR that's just a piece of the puzzle type player.

I'd love to see SD go value with FA receiver like Jon Carlson and play some 2 TE offense to establish the run and keep the defense off the field. With all those FA WR's on the market there are going to be a few that have to sign one year deals to prove they deserve big $ next offseason. I can think of a lot worse places for a player in that situation than replacing Vincent Jackson in the high powered SD passing offense. They don't need an All-Pro WR, just a guy talented enough to push Vincent Brown to compete for playing time.

They've got so many holes to fill at this point it's tough to set priorities. I think much will be dictated on if they're able to retain Jackson.

I tend to agree that they need to let Jackson go and spend that money elsewhere: offensive line should be first priority, but pass rush and cornerback are also big needs.

Any possibility of A.J. actually signing some impact free agents this offseason?

According to the Union-Tribune San Diego, "it is believed" that the Bills are interested in free agent Vincent Jackson even after Monday's re-signing of Stevie Johnson. The Bills appear to be going all-in on Ryan Fitzpatrick, intending to surround him with big-time playmakers and give him the best chance to succeed. The Bills have plenty of cap room for a run at Jackson despite the Johnson deal. Jackson's preference, of course, is to stay in San Diego. But the Bills, and likely the Bears, will push hard for V-Jax if he's still unsigned by March 13. Mar 5 - 8:45 PM

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3202/vincent-jackson

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to agree that they need to let Jackson go and spend that money elsewhere: offensive line should be first priority, but pass rush and cornerback are also big needs.

Any possibility of A.J. actually signing some impact free agents this offseason?
Impact free agents, yeah, sure. He's got four more employees working on it. He's got 'em working in shifts!

I was at a bar here in Pacific Beach Sunday night and saw VJax and dreadless Cedric Benson... Whats Benson doing in town??? Getting drunk talkin to a pasty white girl?... Tell em how I see em. lol

Ced Ben wasnt big, but he was ripped.

Impact free agents, yeah, sure. He's got four more employees working on it. He's got 'em working in shifts!
I fear you're right, but I hope you're wrong. I do think that AJ realizes more than ever that his job(or maybe his next job) is hanging in the balance at this point. He certainly shouldn't be in build-through-the-draft mode. You would THINK that he'd be more interested in signing guys that can step in and contribute from day one.A perfect example would be guys like Demorrio Williams or Hines Ward that didn't really play terrible... they just had their starting spots eaten up by very, very talented younger players playing behind them making their salary expendable. Guys like Williams and Ward would be very cheap to add and could contribute right away. At the price they'll get signed it won't even be a big deal if they don't work out and you end up cutting them.

I fear you're right, but I hope you're wrong. I do think that AJ realizes more than ever that his job(or maybe his next job) is hanging in the balance at this point. He certainly shouldn't be in build-through-the-draft mode. You would THINK that he'd be more interested in signing guys that can step in and contribute from day one.A perfect example would be guys like Demorrio Williams or Hines Ward that didn't really play terrible... they just had their starting spots eaten up by very, very talented younger players playing behind them making their salary expendable. Guys like Williams and Ward would be very cheap to add and could contribute right away. At the price they'll get signed it won't even be a big deal if they don't work out and you end up cutting them.
I hope I'm wrong too since the team is in a different position than it has been in the past. I question though whether AJ is willing or able to change his style and will instead keep doing things 'his way'.

I don't get why the chargers aren't paying offensive players who could help rivers? How does Rivers production not suffer without vjax and Tolbert? If they don't have cap issues it doesn't make sense to me.

I don't get why the chargers aren't paying offensive players who could help rivers? How does Rivers production not suffer without vjax and Tolbert? If they don't have cap issues it doesn't make sense to me.
It didn't seem to me vjax helped Rivers a great deal in '11 after Rivers struggled through '10 without him. IMO vjax is a deep threat and SD is a team that doesn't have an OL that give Rivers enough time to let deep plays develop. Either the offense dictates or Rivers dictates that the ball gets spread around the field a great deal. Better to have three good receivers than one great receiver(and I'm not even convinced vjax is a great receiver) in that offense. This team has so many holes no ~$12mil player is going to make it a contender. Six ~$2mil players may not make them a contender either, but I think if they were the right players they would improve the team more.

So with th Mario Williams rumors, makes me wonder if they are going to switch to a 4/3? Isnt mario more of a 4/3 end than a 3/4 Lb? Wimbley might be a better fit, but I dont think he's that good either.

Unusually move for AJ but clearly if they dont make the playoffs this year, Norv & AJ are gone.

It didn't seem to me vjax helped Rivers a great deal in '11 after Rivers struggled through '10 without him. IMO vjax is a deep threat and SD is a team that doesn't have an OL that give Rivers enough time to let deep plays develop. Either the offense dictates or Rivers dictates that the ball gets spread around the field a great deal. Better to have three good receivers than one great receiver(and I'm not even convinced vjax is a great receiver) in that offense. This team has so many holes no ~$12mil player is going to make it a contender. Six ~$2mil players may not make them a contender either, but I think if they were the right players they would improve the team more.
I generally agree with your post, but it's incorrect to say Rivers "struggled" through 2010 without Jackson. Rivers led the NFL in passing yards and threw 30 TDs in 2010.

So with th Mario Williams rumors, makes me wonder if they are going to switch to a 4/3? Isnt mario more of a 4/3 end than a 3/4 Lb? Wimbley might be a better fit, but I dont think he's that good either. Unusually move for AJ but clearly if they dont make the playoffs this year, Norv & AJ are gone.
Mario was doing well with the transition to 3-4 OLB before getting hurt. Seems he can play both 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB. Would allow SD to give some different looks up front...

So far so good..."Chargers | Demorrio Williams signed Thu Mar 8, 02:27 PM

The San Diego Chargers have signed free-agent LB Demorrio Williams (Chiefs). Terms of the contract were not disclosed."

... I'm not saying I'm penciling Williams in as a pro-bowl starter, just that these are the type of guys that build depth and could quite possibly step in as solid starters.

'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
'BoltBacker said:
I generally agree with your post, but it's incorrect to say Rivers "struggled" through 2010 without Jackson. Rivers led the NFL in passing yards and threw 30 TDs in 2010.
I was being sarcastic.
No but Rivers had a 100% Gates through 10 games and the duo was unstopable in 2010 durin that run. In 2011 not so much. regression to the mean?
I'm sorry... I'm not following. Regression to the mean by which player?

Don't even know why I put myself through this torture since it won't happen, but I'd love to see Mario Williams in blue and gold. He's exactly what we need IMO, and we can stop wasting picks on DEs and use them on OL.

Don't even know why I put myself through this torture since it won't happen, but I'd love to see Mario Williams in blue and gold. He's exactly what we need IMO, and we can stop wasting picks on DEs and use them on OL.
Well AJ has a price in mind and if thats the best the market bares for Mario, he will be here. I doubt he stays healthy though regardless of where he goes

Well AJ has a price in mind and if thats the best the market bares for Mario, he will be here. I doubt he stays healthy though regardless of where he goes
It doesn't seem to me that setting a specific price you're willing to pay and letting other teams outbid you is a good negotiating tactic.On the other hand, it's a good way to make the fan base think you would actually sign a big time free agent.

It doesn't seem to me that setting a specific price you're willing to pay and letting other teams outbid you is a good negotiating tactic.
I think it's essential. AJ isn't saying that he's going to truthfully tell anybody what his maximum price is. But he's got to have a maximum price in mind before he starts making offers and counter-offers.

Interesting article discussing the SD salary cap situation...

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2012/3/12/2864738/san-diego-chargers-salary-cap-fun?ref=yahoo

It actually paints a pretty bright picture, assuming they release McNeil. Still, I know I sound like a broken record, here is the SD starting OL as of now...

LT - Dombroski(Shouldn't make the team as he simply can't pass block. At all.)

LG - Green(Awful, shouldn't even be in the league.)

C - Baxter(He's better than Green, if for no other reason because he hasn't had as much playing time to prove that he's horrible.)

RG - Vasquez(I guess he's the "stud" on the OL by default. I'd like to see him stay as the backup guard in an ideal world.)

RT - Clary(He's not good but I wouldn't mind him sticking around as a backup OT.)

... if they keep this group, or even most of this group, then they may as well just go out and sign 2-3 top FA QB's because nobody is going to survive a season behind them.

FA T's

Gaither - If they can't convince Gaither to stay it will be a major blow. The only OLman that looked any good last year imo. I'd overpay him if they have to.

McKenzie - Solid if unspectacular. A little older and definite stop-gap but still an improvement imo. Giants have said they aren't bringing him back. Value play due to age.

Bell - Plays well when he's healthy, but he's not always healthy. Again, big improvement. Value play due to injury history.

FA G's

Nicks - Forget it. He'll get paid like a tackle and SD has too many holes to fill with a single great player.

Grubbs - This is the guy I really hope they sign. Pro-Bowl talent that won't be cheap but should be a lot cheaper than Nicks.

Brisiel - HOU trying to chase Manning, keep Williams and others. A tough/physical mentality SD desperately needs.

Mathis - A little older but so much better than what they currently have. If the price is right...

FA C's (So many people say they need to bring back Hardwick, why not improve the position?)

Myers - Again, HOU has big targets on its radar and it seems to me a few guys may slip through their fingers due to cap constraints.

Wells - Better than Hardwick as an anchor of an OL that doesn't stink.

Saturday - This would probably require a mid round pick to groom as his eventual replacement. Seems like the perfect player to coach a younger player, possibly sharing the position as the season progresses. Might be a bonus if you lay the groundwork if Saturday someday wants to be an OL coach.

FA WR's (Any value guys from this list, there are so many on the market)

Robinson - Norv is already a fan, wanted to keep him last year. I think he could come close to matching VJ's numbers as a full time starter. Almost equaled VJ's production as a part time starter in DAL last season.

Meacham - NO is in salary cap hell right now and they have so many higher FA priorities right now. He has the size and speed AJ typically likes.

Morgan - SF just signed Moss and Morgan has never had a chance to be a part of an offense like the one in SD. Seems to perpetually on the "sleeper" list but the stars might just align if you plug him into the VJ spot in the SD offense. Low risk/high reward type play.

Garcon - Seems like the type of guy that thinks he's going to sign a huge contract but there are a bunch of WR's out there.

Wayne - Everyone just assumes he'll follow Manning wherever he ends up, but I'm not sure why.

FA TE's (Gates will miss a few games and another pass catching TE to team with a cheap WR would replace VJ just fine)

Carlson/Davis/Clark/Shockey/Bennett/Shiancoe - None of these guys are going to break the bank and they all have proven to be capable receivers.

FA Special Teams

Ginn - Double duty as a returner and a backup WR. Wouldn't cost much.

Bush - Would help the ST coverage and can contribute as a dime/nickel back.

FA DL

Williams - Too fragile, too many holes to spend that much $ on one guy.

Soliai - Much like the Hardwick situation, why bring back Garay who anchored a disappointing line last year? Why not improve the position on the unit you are trying to improve?

Abraham - Getting up there in age so might be affordable. Ideally, you would rotate him depending on the situation with a guy like Red Bryant. I'd be willing to bet that Soliai/Abraham/Bryant all combine for a much smaller contract than Mario Williams will sign.

FA LB

Maybin - Probably not worth the pick but he's exactly the type of player they need to create big plays.

Lofton - Tatupu signing means ATL won't work on bringing him back? Versatile talent with sideline to sideline pursuit.

Wimbley - You hear different rumors about how much interest there actually is in this guy. If the price is right they could certainly use another pass rusher.

FA DB

Marshall - Solid at both CB and S. Pushes Cason back to nickle back until there's an injury.

Kind of like WR, there are ton of guys out there that could push for a starting job in SD. Not all of them are going to sign for big contracts. Just find a cheap vet looking to earn his next contract.

I'm not saying they need to sign ALL these guys, just pointing out that there are plenty of FA's on the market that won't cost a kings ransom and could contribute a great deal to the Chargers next season. AJ built this mess to some degree, and there's definitely an opportunity for him to address the many needs this team has in a single off season.

It doesn't seem to me that setting a specific price you're willing to pay and letting other teams outbid you is a good negotiating tactic.
I think it's essential. AJ isn't saying that he's going to truthfully tell anybody what his maximum price is. But he's got to have a maximum price in mind before he starts making offers and counter-offers.
In poker you don't want people to know you have a limit you're willing to bet. If others players know you won't go all in you're at a disadvantage. It's also not a good signal to Mario who's going think the Chargers aren't really that interested. Peyton probably won't sign with the Titans but Bud Adams is making very clear he's wanted there.

'BoltBacker said:
Interesting article discussing the SD salary cap situation...http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2012/3/12/2864738/san-diego-chargers-salary-cap-fun?ref=yahooIt actually paints a pretty bright picture, assuming they release McNeil. Still, I know I sound like a broken record, here is the SD starting OL as of now...LT - Dombroski(Shouldn't make the team as he simply can't pass block. At all.)LG - Green(Awful, shouldn't even be in the league.)C - Baxter(He's better than Green, if for no other reason because he hasn't had as much playing time to prove that he's horrible.)RG - Vasquez(I guess he's the "stud" on the OL by default. I'd like to see him stay as the backup guard in an ideal world.)RT - Clary(He's not good but I wouldn't mind him sticking around as a backup OT.)... if they keep this group, or even most of this group, then they may as well just go out and sign 2-3 top FA QB's because nobody is going to survive a season behind them.FA T'sGaither - If they can't convince Gaither to stay it will be a major blow. The only OLman that looked any good last year imo. I'd overpay him if they have to.McKenzie - Solid if unspectacular. A little older and definite stop-gap but still an improvement imo. Giants have said they aren't bringing him back. Value play due to age.Bell - Plays well when he's healthy, but he's not always healthy. Again, big improvement. Value play due to injury history.FA G'sNicks - Forget it. He'll get paid like a tackle and SD has too many holes to fill with a single great player.Grubbs - This is the guy I really hope they sign. Pro-Bowl talent that won't be cheap but should be a lot cheaper than Nicks.Brisiel - HOU trying to chase Manning, keep Williams and others. A tough/physical mentality SD desperately needs.Mathis - A little older but so much better than what they currently have. If the price is right...FA C's (So many people say they need to bring back Hardwick, why not improve the position?)Myers - Again, HOU has big targets on its radar and it seems to me a few guys may slip through their fingers due to cap constraints.Wells - Better than Hardwick as an anchor of an OL that doesn't stink.Saturday - This would probably require a mid round pick to groom as his eventual replacement. Seems like the perfect player to coach a younger player, possibly sharing the position as the season progresses. Might be a bonus if you lay the groundwork if Saturday someday wants to be an OL coach.FA WR's (Any value guys from this list, there are so many on the market)Robinson - Norv is already a fan, wanted to keep him last year. I think he could come close to matching VJ's numbers as a full time starter. Almost equaled VJ's production as a part time starter in DAL last season.Meacham - NO is in salary cap hell right now and they have so many higher FA priorities right now. He has the size and speed AJ typically likes.Morgan - SF just signed Moss and Morgan has never had a chance to be a part of an offense like the one in SD. Seems to perpetually on the "sleeper" list but the stars might just align if you plug him into the VJ spot in the SD offense. Low risk/high reward type play.Garcon - Seems like the type of guy that thinks he's going to sign a huge contract but there are a bunch of WR's out there. Wayne - Everyone just assumes he'll follow Manning wherever he ends up, but I'm not sure why.FA TE's (Gates will miss a few games and another pass catching TE to team with a cheap WR would replace VJ just fine)Carlson/Davis/Clark/Shockey/Bennett/Shiancoe - None of these guys are going to break the bank and they all have proven to be capable receivers.FA Special TeamsGinn - Double duty as a returner and a backup WR. Wouldn't cost much.Bush - Would help the ST coverage and can contribute as a dime/nickel back.FA DLWilliams - Too fragile, too many holes to spend that much $ on one guy.Soliai - Much like the Hardwick situation, why bring back Garay who anchored a disappointing line last year? Why not improve the position on the unit you are trying to improve?Abraham - Getting up there in age so might be affordable. Ideally, you would rotate him depending on the situation with a guy like Red Bryant. I'd be willing to bet that Soliai/Abraham/Bryant all combine for a much smaller contract than Mario Williams will sign.FA LBMaybin - Probably not worth the pick but he's exactly the type of player they need to create big plays.Lofton - Tatupu signing means ATL won't work on bringing him back? Versatile talent with sideline to sideline pursuit.Wimbley - You hear different rumors about how much interest there actually is in this guy. If the price is right they could certainly use another pass rusher.FA DBMarshall - Solid at both CB and S. Pushes Cason back to nickle back until there's an injury.Kind of like WR, there are ton of guys out there that could push for a starting job in SD. Not all of them are going to sign for big contracts. Just find a cheap vet looking to earn his next contract.I'm not saying they need to sign ALL these guys, just pointing out that there are plenty of FA's on the market that won't cost a kings ransom and could contribute a great deal to the Chargers next season. AJ built this mess to some degree, and there's definitely an opportunity for him to address the many needs this team has in a single off season.
Well Nick Hardwick is the starting Center, and he just re-signed

Acee reporting VJax to Tampa.

I liked his work ethic and think the "head case" label was way overblown, but Rivers is the playmaker in this offense, not Jackson. It's not like he was taking 8 yard slants and breaking tackles to go the distance.

He'll be missed, but I'd rather use that $ elsewhere.

SD reportedly talking to Meacham and Laurent "should have kept him last season" Robinson. Neither will replace VJax.... soon we will rival Washington as the best WR corp in the NFL

SD reportedly talking to Meacham and Laurent "should have kept him last season" Robinson. Neither will replace VJax.... soon we will rival Washington as the best WR corp in the NFL
VJax is talented but so over-rated it's not even funny. Meachem is not as good but he'll be the deep threat the team needs and comes at a reasonable price.

The search for the next Wes Chandler begins...
And just as before, the search ends by signing a guy from the Saints. Let's hope history continues to repeat itself and Meacham can fill in as well as Chandler did. He's seemed a bit brittle so far in his NFL career. Have to like spending $12M less guaranteed, $29M less overall and 1 less year though.

Jared Gaither re-signed Wed Mar 14, 12:41 PM

The San Diego Chargers have re-signed free-agent OT Jared Gaither to a four-year deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Link to story

Chargers | Le'Ron McClain to sign three-year deal Wed Mar 14, 07:20 PM

The San Diego Chargers agreed to terms with free-agent FB Le'Ron McClain (Ravens) Wednesday, March 14, on a three-year deal, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Our view: McClain will take the place of Mike Tolbert on the Chargers roster. He shouldn't get as many carries or receptions as Tolbert, so that extra production could go to Ryan Mathews.

I'm reading McClain is taking Hester's job. They might get Hester back just for special teams if he doesn't land somewhere else. The door isn't closed on Tolbert, the Chargers still need a backup tailback.

Users who are viewing this thread