What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2013 Returnmen thread (1 Viewer)

Found a quote on the Packers situation from 2 days ago that I hadn't seen before:

When asked what Ross has to do to be the Packers’ returner this year, special teams coach Shawn Slocum said, “Make the 53-man roster. It’s that simple.”
If that's accurate, sounds like they are looking at Hyde as a backup plan and one that might play into keeping Ross or not. But that if Ross is there, the job is his.

Raiders / Josh Cribbs news.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/raiders/instant-replay-run-defense-gutted-loss-bears

On the bubble: Josh Cribbs' job wasn’t safe heading in to Friday’s game. It’s on shakier ground now. He didn’t have a good kick return, and fumbled on his second try. Then Jacoby Ford brought the next kickoff back 62 yards. Not a good sequence for a veteran who has lacked burst and pure speed during this training camp.

He had major knee surgery this offseason and hasn’t looked like the home run hitter of seasons past. If the Raiders like Ford or someone younger in the return game, Cribbs tenure will be short.

I have a draft in 30 minutes where KR/PR stats are equal to normal WR stats. This is a PPR league. Never done a league with this scoring but after an hour of researching, I'm thinking the following are all potential studs this season by this scoring:

Tavon Austin

Jermaine Kearse

Darren Sproles

Top 6 WRs in this league last season:

Cobb

Calvin

Jacoby Jones

Dez

Marshall

Cribbs

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard Crawford season ending injury for the Redskins.

Santana Moss and a trio of rookies are probably next up. I haven't gotten a good feel for if any of the rookies will make the squad though. This might be a chance for one of them.

New set of projections in the article. Should be ready for Update in Draft Dominator sometime tomorrow.

Damaris Johnson's performance might be enough for him to lock down the starter jobs. Special teams coach was talking about DeSean Jackson more as a pinch hitter at PR than a full time returner.

Pilares is out for the year as the Panther's backup.

Richard Crawford LCL injury has him lost for the year. Probably between Santana Moss and Chris Thompson, with Nick Williams and Skye Dawson having a shot. The latter 3 need to make the roster still though.

Eric Page is getting so much preseason work in Tampa Bay, moved him to the front of the KR competition. He was already in the lead on PR.

I'm probably not going to get to watch much of tomorrow's games until later on. Anything worth catching in the return game in them, please drop a post.

I may be mistaken, but it looked like Cadet was in on KR/PR with the starters. Sproles only played a couple of plays, so hopefully they were just resting him.

Chip Kelly: DeSean Jackson will return punts, just not in preseason

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 26, 2013, 1:42 PM EDT

DeSean Jackson AP

DeSean Jackson said at the start of training camp that he plans to be the Eagles’ primary punt returner. In the preseason, Jackson hasn’t returned any punts.

But Eagles coach Chip Kelly says that’s just being prudent. Although Kelly doesn’t want to risk Jackson suffer an injury on a punt return in the preseason, Kelly confirmed today that Jackson will return punts in the regular season.

“There’s no point in exposing him in a preseason game,” Kelly said. “He’ll be out there at some point in time.”

Damaris Johnson handled the Eagles’ punt returns last season, and he has done a nice job returning punts for the Eagles in the preseason. So the Eagles have other options. But Jackson, who led the league in punt returns in 2009 and has four career touchdowns returning punts, is a spectacular player with the ball in his hands in space, and at some point this season he’ll get the chance to show that. Kelly, however, is smart enough to know that the preseason isn’t the right time.

Return of the Sheep said:
I may be mistaken, but it looked like Cadet was in on KR/PR with the starters. Sproles only played a couple of plays, so hopefully they were just resting him.
Cadet is on the roster bubble if Ingram / PT stay healthy

Jacoby Ford had huge value as a returner in 2011 before he lost the entire 2012 season to his lisfranc injury. Dude was dynamite on returns, and with as poor as that defense looks, don't be surprised if whomever Oakland rolls out at KR gets quite a few looks per week.

So is Cobb done as the KR/PR guy in GB?
We can't say for certain yet. McCarthy wants someone to replace him but last he gave an indication, no one had yet. Ross's roster status is up in the air. Hyde didn't get anything more than fair catches this week so no opportunity to move up in game time, while Ross did decent on his KR and PR.

I expect he'll get some returns during the year, though whether it is frequent or picking their spots is hard to say yet. With his biceps injury it will probably lessen the number while it lingers.

Found a quote on the Packers situation from 2 days ago that I hadn't seen before:

When asked what Ross has to do to be the Packers’ returner this year, special teams coach Shawn Slocum said, “Make the 53-man roster. It’s that simple.”
If that's accurate, sounds like they are looking at Hyde as a backup plan and one that might play into keeping Ross or not. But that if Ross is there, the job is his.
I don't see Ross making it...just a pure numbers game and I just can't see them keeping 6 WRs...or keeping Ross as a 5th WR who can't really play WR.

Bucs Michael Smith put on IR. He was a candidate to backup at PR.

Redskins Chris Thompson got called out in the bad sense by Shanahan for fumbling the second game in a row. Doesn't help his chances though of the rookies competing to replace Richard Crawford, I thought he might have the edge.

New set of projections in the article and sent in so for inclusion in Draft Dominator, factoring in the above items.

Jacoby Ford had huge value as a returner in 2011 before he lost the entire 2012 season to his lisfranc injury. Dude was dynamite on returns, and with as poor as that defense looks, don't be surprised if whomever Oakland rolls out at KR gets quite a few looks per week.
I agree, Cribbs release had to do with the nice return by ford.. Really liking this guy, especially with pryor possibly taking over at QB. I grabbed him up in my return yard/PPR league.

I remember Cobb last year was a late round flier in the same league... Ended up being #1 receiver in the league.

Thoughts on Jacoby Jones - seems legit for 1300 return yards and about 750 receiving yards this year?
Heckuva return guy, but just not much as a WR. They've just got no one else to catch the ball, but I'd expect one of their draft picks to emerge, or them to split up that WR pie a lot of ways. 750 feels high, but not out of the realm of possibility if no one else emerges I guess.

I'd say repeating last year's numbers of 400 receiving would be what I'd personally bet on.

Randall Cobb has been a part of the rotation returning punts in practice.

William Blackmon waived and Jermaine Kearse moved to the top of the KR depth chart.

Joe Adams waived by the Panthers.

Updated set of projections going out tonight.

Macdaddy_2004 said:
Thoughts on Jacoby Jones - seems legit for 1300 return yards and about 750 receiving yards this year?
Lock for the return yards. I know Matt Waldmen likes Marlon Brown's potential as someone who could emerge at receiver for the Ravens.

Felder v. Sherels...who ya got? Call me crazy, but I'm beginning to think Sherels survives. Felder hasn't been impressive in his last two games, and Sherels is the veteran. Thursday will determine who survives, and with all things being equal, I think Sherels makes it. I can't believe I'm saying it, but there it is. http://www.dailynorseman.com/2013/8/28/4666592/titans-vs-vikings-what-im-looking-for
Hard to say what the Vikings decide to do here on punts. I can still see Patterson being in the mix at some point not that these guys are bad at it.

Just had a draft in a PPR keeper return yardage league. Here are some guys I targetted based on return yardage:

TY Hilton, fifth round - I like Hilton as a breakout candidate anyway even without PR yards.

Emmaneul Sanders, 10th round

Lamichael James, 11th round

Jacoby Jones, 12th round.

I was also able to throw early picks at Peyton and roll the dice with Gronk in the early rounds, since I knew I could round out the WR and RB rosters with special teamers that perform at an RB2 or WR2 level. I also had Randall Cobb as a keeper.

Guys I covetted but couldn't get:

David Wilson - another team's keeper

Darren Sproles - last year I traded up in the first round and snaked Sproles away from the commish. This year he drafted two spots in front of me and returned the favor.

Tavon Austin - went in the 4th, earlier than expected.

Not many people seemed to factor return yardage in while drafting, outside of Sproles going in the first.

Heads up that Andre Brown has a broken leg for the Giants. While Brown isn't part of the return game, the increased workload for David Wilson and the lessened depth might cause the team to cut down his kick returns.

Brad Smith left the Bills game with a rib injury. David Reed, the Colts new kick returner, suffered a concussion. Devon Wylie of the Chiefs has a hamstring issue.

Also LaMichael James for the 49ers left the game with an injured knee but it sounds like it isn't expected to be serious.

Redskins Chris Thompson got called out in the bad sense by Shanahan for fumbling the second game in a row. Doesn't help his chances though of the rookies competing to replace Richard Crawford, I thought he might have the edge.
Eric Page getting the call?

Eric Page getting the call?
Punt returner looks like it is Page's. I'm not sure Douglas who they have as backup is going to make the squad or not. If not it looks like Jordan Norwood is probably slipping in there.

Kick returner, Page is also atop the depth chart though I'm not feeling as confident about what percentage he'll get. Mike James should make the squad and they have him as his backup and I could see him getting mixed in. They also gave Norwood a shot at it yesterday, and he's listed as 4th on the depth chart right now behind Tiquan Underwood.

I found this - I don't think Kerley is the KR guy

Without McKnight, the Jets will use Clyde Gates and Kyle Wilson as their primary kick returners. Edwards' fate may have been sealed last week when the team signed veteran Mohamed Massaquoi. Edwards didn't play Saturday night because of a leg injury, while Massaquoi made two nice catches.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9600966/joe-mcknight-new-york-jets-cut-turbulent-offseason
Yes, that's who I've got as well, Gates and Wilson.

Ross had a nice game for the Packers last night at WR.

Hyde and Green were doing PR and KRs though early on.

They could keep Ross as the #5 WR and let Walker go just to have insurance on returns...but I hope not.

Greg,

In regards to the Vikings Sherels is definitely on the bubble to make the team and I think Felder outplayed him as a DB in coverage, which is a sore spot with the Vikings they are really trying to improve. I actually think Patterson may take this job over, especially if Sherels is cut.

I have seen Michael Cox being used as a kick returner for the Giants, so he may be in the mix there.

Similarly Isiah Pead might get some work on kick returns for the Rams. Maybe. I did read about him returning punt for TD in practice.

Adam,

Unfortunately ourlads does not seem very reliable resource for depth charts. I was looking at their site myself a few weeks ago and there is just too much inconsistent information there when compared against official team depth chart listings. I wish this was only this year, but that is what I have noticed every time over the years when I have looked at their information.

eta- Benny Cunningham in the mix on kick returns for the Rams as well. I would think Austin should be their main guy still. But I guess we won't know for a little while yet.
Is Cox the return man in NY? Rotoworld seems to imply that Da'Rel Scott will be handling those duties. Any homer insight?

Jacoby Jones just returns kicks right? Not punts?

If punts too, any thoughts on that breakout?
No, he returns both. He handled almost all the punts last year and about 2/3 of the kicks.

This year, he should get the bulk again, but the backups, Deonte Thompson and Tandon Doss, are both fighting for roster spots. So whether Jones benefits there or not may remain to be seen.

asn4play said:
Greg,

In regards to the Vikings Sherels is definitely on the bubble to make the team and I think Felder outplayed him as a DB in coverage, which is a sore spot with the Vikings they are really trying to improve. I actually think Patterson may take this job over, especially if Sherels is cut.

I have seen Michael Cox being used as a kick returner for the Giants, so he may be in the mix there.

Similarly Isiah Pead might get some work on kick returns for the Rams. Maybe. I did read about him returning punt for TD in practice.

Adam,

Unfortunately ourlads does not seem very reliable resource for depth charts. I was looking at their site myself a few weeks ago and there is just too much inconsistent information there when compared against official team depth chart listings. I wish this was only this year, but that is what I have noticed every time over the years when I have looked at their information.

eta- Benny Cunningham in the mix on kick returns for the Rams as well. I would think Austin should be their main guy still. But I guess we won't know for a little while yet.
Is Cox the return man in NY? Rotoworld seems to imply that Da'Rel Scott will be handling those duties. Any homer insight?
Coughlin did say they wanted to monitor Wilson's snaps this year, and that there is a number they have in mind for him that won't change just because of Brown's injury. But it's possible the Giants could move more toward a "bell cow" running back scheme, with Wilson getting the vast majority of the significant carries while backups such as Ryan Torain, Da'Rel Scott and Michael Cox contribute when he needs a rest. Coughlin also said the team was awaiting the results of further tests on Brown's leg to determine how long he'd be out, and that roster cuts and the decision on whether to seek outside help at running back would wait until they had all of the information on Brown. Meantime, Wilson is fine with whatever they throw at him. He wouldn't even mind if they gave him back those kick-return duties in which he was so explosive a year ago.

"We're still waiting for the verdict," Wilson said. "Michael Cox has been doing a pretty good job with it, so we'll see. I still want it, but if somebody's going to take advantage like he is, that's all right, too." http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/28863/david-wilson-is-ready-for-more-work
Running back: The Andre Brown injury clouds this, because he may or may not need a 53-man roster spot depending on the severity of his injury. But assuming Brown and his fractured left leg aren't on the 53, there's no reason they can't keep all five from the group of David Wilson, Henry Hynoski, Ryan Torain, Da'Rel Scott and Michael Cox. Torain is a guy they like as a pass protector, and Cox may well be the new kickoff returner. If they cut someone from the Scott/Torain/Cox group, it's likely because they decided they needed a sixth wide receiver or a fourth tight end. http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/28840/bubble-watch-giants-roster-decisions
The Giants have not cut anyone from the 75 yet. So still waiting to see. It is possible they add a free agent as well. I think Cox is in a good spot to win kick returns and possibly some COP carries with Andre Brown out 4-6 weeks.

Ravens released both backup punt returners, Tandon Doss and Bobby Rainey.

ETA: Asa Jackson did an outstanding job in preseason returning punts. He had a 70+ yard TD and a pair of 30+ yard returns. However he's got an 8 game suspension for Adderall. So Jacoby Jones should be safe for the first half of the year at least.

Brad Smith placed on Injured Reserve. Marquise Goodwin had a good preseason, maybe enough to displace TJ Graham who was ahead of him.

Chad Hall cut by 49ers. I was already phasing him out of their return situation based on thinking he wasn't going to get a roster spot.

And speaking of the projections, new set posted in the article. Should show up in Draft Dominator updates in the new couple of hours.

Also it looks like Chris Thompson survived the Redskins roster cuts. I'd think he's at least in an equal mix at punt returner then, if not in the lead.

Sproles I imagine he'll see most of the punt returns, and probably well over half of the kick returns. With the number of RBs the Saints use I think there is less worry they'll worry about him being fresh for the offensive possession, etc.

Cobb is a lot more difficult to predict. McCarthy has said he doesn't want to use him as a returner, but will if someone else doesn't step up and perform well enough. Ross seems like he is still in the lead there, and I don't know if he's done enough for them to go into the season planning to use him full time. Though Cobb's bicep situation is troubling as he's made it sound like it's something that will be an issue for him through much of the season, even if it doesn't keep him out. Is it enough to limit his touches further?

Got him at around half of both types of returns, but there is a huge range between his ceiling and floor, especially if Ross is on the roster.

Jordan Shipley, Devon Wylie, and Kerwynn Williams were all released.

Chad Hall was picked up by the Chiefs, could conceivably fit into their return game.

Jordan Shipley, Devon Wylie, and Kerwynn Williams were all released.

Chad Hall was picked up by the Chiefs, could conceivably fit into their return game.
Doh! Had Kerwynn on dynasty. Hoping for return production.

Disaster area dynasty team

Users who are viewing this thread