What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official 2014 MLB Regular Season-All over but the shouting (3 Viewers)

In spite of all their injury problems, the Braves released Freddy Garcia who was coming off a very solid start on Sunday. Money talks apparently.

In spite of all their injury problems, the Braves released Freddy Garcia who was coming off a very solid start on Sunday. Money talks apparently.
The Braves dropped Garcia to pick up Aaron Harang. Just like in your 15 team NL only league.

Eephus said:
Eephus said:
The Braves dropped Garcia to pick up Aaron Harang. Just like in your 15 team NL only league.
You talking to yourself again old man?

Russo's show was a monstrous failure for Sirius. Paid him millions and got catastrophic ratings in return. MLBN Network saw this and said sign us up?

I really hate posting with my iphone

Do you think Eaton can be a spark plug at the top of the WS order?

Hey Eephus... first time caller, long time listener.... love the show. Hey man, I was just curious as to your thoughts about Pablo Sandoval. The Panda doesn't look quite as fat this spring and I'm thinking there may be some contractual motivation to stay trim and on the field this summer. As your good buddy Ron Shandler says, once you display a skill you own it... forever. So does Panda have a chance to return to 2009 levels of production? Thanks for taking my call... love what you are doing. I'll hang up and listen.

Peter Bourjos thoughts?

A bad wrist derailed what looked to be a pretty good campaign in the making

April (87pa) - .313/.370/.458

May - missed with a hammy

June - (49pa) .370/.431/.457

Obviously a small sample size, but a promising one.

Jon Jay is garbage. Oscar Tavares is a TBD and hasn't been healthy in a year so there's a likelyhood that he's STL starting CF until at least the super 2 clock hits midnight.

Peter Bourjos thoughts?

Jon Jay is garbage. Oscar Tavares is a TBD and hasn't been healthy in a year so there's a likelyhood that he's STL starting CF until at least the super 2 clock hits midnight.
For the record, I believe Jay is a quality player and an ideal 4th outfielder. I'm hoping that Bourjos gives him the opportunity to serve in that role. With Holliday and Craig on the corners, there will be plenty of opportunities to get into the game.

As for Bourjos, I'd say his value likely is dependent upon where he hits in the order, which obviously will dictate his R/RBI possibilities. Good chance that if he stays healthy he can reach 10/20... so I'm setting that as a baseline expectation for 150+ games and would consider anything beyond that as icing on the cake.

I don't think he'll be seriously pushed for playing time in the first few months as Matheny hinted that its been communicated from the front office that they acquired Bourjos to start in CF.

Taveras has some work to do, both in proving his health and his ability to handle CF, before he's a major concern.

Peter Bourjos thoughts?

For the record, I believe Jay is a quality player and an ideal 4th outfielder. I'm hoping that Bourjos gives him the opportunity to serve in that role. With Holliday and Craig on the corners, there will be plenty of opportunities to get into the game.

As for Bourjos, I'd say his value likely is dependent upon where he hits in the order, which obviously will dictate his R/RBI possibilities. Good chance that if he stays healthy he can reach 10/20... so I'm setting that as a baseline expectation for 150+ games and would consider anything beyond that as icing on the cake.

I don't think he'll be seriously pushed for playing time in the first few months as Matheny hinted that its been communicated from the front office that they acquired Bourjos to start in CF.

Taveras has some work to do, both in proving his health and his ability to handle CF, before he's a major concern.
Cards AAA OF is drool worthy with Taveras, Piscotty, and Grichuk being the starters.

Peter Bourjos thoughts?

Cards AAA OF is drool worthy with Taveras, Piscotty, and Grichuk being the starters.
No doubt, but none of them can handle CF on a regular basis at this point.

Hey Eephus... first time caller, long time listener.... love the show. Hey man, I was just curious as to your thoughts about Pablo Sandoval. The Panda doesn't look quite as fat this spring and I'm thinking there may be some contractual motivation to stay trim and on the field this summer. As your good buddy Ron Shandler says, once you display a skill you own it... forever. So does Panda have a chance to return to 2009 levels of production? Thanks for taking my call... love what you are doing. I'll hang up and listen.
Sandoval has 90,000,000 reasons to have a good season

Sandoval has 90,000,000 reasons to have a good season
but a ##### ain't one

Does Pineda get the #5 SP?
Yeah, I think that's been decided save for the official announcement. He's looked real good this spring. Slider has been nasty. Fastball location has been good down in the zone. Getting lots of ground balls.

Does Pineda get the #5 SP?
Yeah, I think that's been decided save for the official announcement. He's looked real good this spring. Slider has been nasty. Fastball location has been good down in the zone. Getting lots of ground balls.
Yeah, I saw a bit of his start against the Red Sox. He looked sharp. I don't own him anywhere and am no Yankees fan but I hope his shoulder holds up.

Both Cruz and Morales rejected qualifying offers from their teams this winter, so signing either one means forfeiting a draft pick. However, the Mets' first-round pick is protected and they gave up their second-rounder to ink Granderson, so they have less to lose than most other teams in regard to signing top free agents.
Does that mean the Mets wouldn't have to give up a first rounder if they sign Kendrys Morales?

Both Cruz and Morales rejected qualifying offers from their teams this winter, so signing either one means forfeiting a draft pick. However, the Mets' first-round pick is protected and they gave up their second-rounder to ink Granderson, so they have less to lose than most other teams in regard to signing top free agents.
Does that mean the Mets wouldn't have to give up a first rounder if they sign Kendrys Morales?
Yes, that's correct.

The problem with any speculation that the Mets sign anyone is the idea that they have any money to do so. They're already at or above their stated payroll limit.

The problem with any speculation that the Mets sign anyone is the idea that they have any money to do so. They're already at or above their stated payroll limit.
The other problem is that Morales isn't worth signing to a long term deal.

The other problem is that Morales isn't worth signing to a long term deal.
Particularly with an NL team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony Cingrani:

This guy is 55th P off the board according to fantasypros ADP, but the number 18 P according to my projections in my league.

I wouldn't say our scoring system is that crazy. What is the thought on this guy?

Long Ball Larry said:
Tony Cingrani:

This guy is 55th P off the board according to fantasypros ADP, but the number 18 P according to my projections in my league.

I wouldn't say our scoring system is that crazy. What is the thought on this guy?
all but one of my leagues has some form of qs element and he was kept in that one. Do not like in that format. Not going long in games can mess with wins, manageable though, tough to swallow a liability in two cats though, despite all that upside.

Long Ball Larry said:
Tony Cingrani:

I like him :shrug: I have him in about half the leagues I am in. Not necessarily a guy I would reach for, but fantastic k ratios.

He's still young and sometimes throws too many pitches to get guys out (going for k's maybe), but he should provide above average k's, a solid whip, solid era.

I never chase wins, way too unpredictable, I like him as my #4 or #5 starter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of unsustainable BABIPs...

What's the feeling on Chris Johnson now that he's possibly batting cleanup in the Braves lineup?

What's the feeling on Chris Johnson now that he's possibly batting cleanup in the Braves lineup?
Small bump in RBIs but he's still a late rounder. It's a long season and the Braves have a bunch of other guys who are more logical cleanup hitters. It's very unlikely that he keeps that spot in the order for the season. If he gets dropped to the 7 hole, all that's left is a CI without speed or power.

Tell me about the real: Khris Davis
he scares me, in both great and terrible ways. Far from the same player, but I feel like there is a Mark Rynolds 2009 type of season in him at some point. I am far too impatient to own him Ina a daily league, but weekly? He is on my short list for my fifth of. I want to be there when it is all clicking and far, far away when it is not.

Small bump in RBIs but he's still a late rounder. It's a long season and the Braves have a bunch of other guys who are more logical cleanup hitters. It's very unlikely that he keeps that spot in the order for the season. If he gets dropped to the 7 hole, all that's left is a CI without speed or power.
I'm having a hard time seeing him below fifth. If he ends up on my last team I screwed up somewhere, but I am happy with him as a super backup in my dynasty. Insurance for Longoria and in case several players get injured forcing him into one of our util spots. Avg will regress, but I think part of that is approach based, it is somewhat sustainable.

I'm having a hard time seeing him below fifth. If he ends up on my last team I screwed up somewhere, but I am happy with him as a super backup in my dynasty. Insurance for Longoria and in case several players get injured forcing him into one of our util spots. Avg will regress, but I think part of that is approach based, it is somewhat sustainable.
Yeah, I was probably too harsh on Johnson if you play in an AVG league. I'm in OBP leagues where Johnson's best attribute gets neutralized.

Users who are viewing this thread