What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official 2014 MLB Regular Season-All over but the shouting (3 Viewers)

Chase Utley...how many games will he last this season and how good will he be when he plays?
he could repeat last year, but can't imagine anymore. Probably lose hr and sb but like many vets may make up the difference with avg and counting stats as a result of an approach change once vets realize they can't mash anymore. Well, anyway. He is on my plan b list.

Long Ball Larry said:
Tony Cingrani:

This guy is 55th P off the board according to fantasypros ADP, but the number 18 P according to my projections in my league.

I wouldn't say our scoring system is that crazy. What is the thought on this guy?
I like him :shrug: I have him in about half the leagues I am in. Not necessarily a guy I would reach for, but fantastic k ratios.

He's still young and sometimes throws too many pitches to get guys out (going for k's maybe), but he should provide above average k's, a solid whip, solid era.

I never chase wins, way too unpredictable, I like him as my #4 or #5 starter.
Possible innings limit for Cingrani this year? He went from 130 to 150 last year but 200 would be a jump (even though if you go by pitches thrown, he likely threw closer to 180 last season and it shouldn't matter but MLB managers don't like to think like that and still believe in silly Verducci affect things)

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point in his career, it seems like 200 IP for Cingrani would be wishful thinking even if they were allowing it. He has to get deeper into games to get there. Last season's IP per start translates to 172 IP if he takes every turn this season.

At this point in his career, it seems like 200 IP for Cingrani would be wishful thinking even if they were allowing it. He has to get deeper into games to get there. Last season's IP per start translates to 172 IP if he takes every turn this season.
This is always my biggest concern with young pitchers. I can handle a guy getting shut down in September because there are always streaming options available. But pitchers on short pitch counts don't stick around long enough to earns wins or rack up big SO numbers.

Jeff Francoeur released by the Indians. It looks like it's the end of the line for Frenchy. He is a great guy and teammate by all accounts and was capable of looking like a ballplayer in (mostly) brief spurts. He was somehow able to parlay these into almost 5000 MLB PAs and over $25M.

He leaves the game with Mel Hall and Derek Bell as his top two B-R similarity scores. Hopefully Francoeur will be able to stay out of prison.
:lmao:
i wrote Frenchy's epitaph too soon. San Diego signed him to a minor league deal.

Let's talk baseball
You think Brandon Belt's second-half performance will carry over into something permanent?
No

Next question
Keith Law is high on him, as well as a several other analytic types who believe in trends. I have read comparisons to Josh Donaldson's career arc.
Law has had a hard on for Belt for years. As a Giants fan, I hope he's right about him but I just don't see for the reasons mentioned earlier.

Jeff Francoeur released by the Indians. It looks like it's the end of the line for Frenchy. He is a great guy and teammate by all accounts and was capable of looking like a ballplayer in (mostly) brief spurts. He was somehow able to parlay these into almost 5000 MLB PAs and over $25M.

He leaves the game with Mel Hall and Derek Bell as his top two B-R similarity scores. Hopefully Francoeur will be able to stay out of prison.
i wrote Frenchy's epitaph too soon. San Diego signed him to a minor league deal.
That should help with the staying out of prison part

Yeah, projections I have have him at 173. Might be high. ST walk rate is 41% higher than last season, FWIW.

I about fell off the treadmill at the gym when Almora slid into the wall and left the game yesterday. Glad to hear he's gonna be alright.

Veteran left-hander Randy Wolf exited the Mariners camp on Tuesday by buzzing a fastball under the collective chin of the clubs brass.

Wolf effectively charged the Mariners with negotiating in bad faith after they asked him to sign a 45-day clause that effectively put him, and his contract, under a probationary period for the seasons opening weeks.

They told me I made the team, he said, but they wanted me to sign a 45-day advance-consent release. It, essentially, (lets them) do anything with me in the first 45 days of the season.

I principally objected to that because we negotiated in good faith in February on a very team-friendly contract.

When Wolf refused to sign the clause, the Mariners released him, which makes him a free agent with less than a week remaining before the start of the regular season.

Eephus said:
Veteran left-hander Randy Wolf exited the Mariners camp on Tuesday by buzzing a fastball under the collective chin of the clubs brass.

Wolf effectively charged the Mariners with negotiating in bad faith after they asked him to sign a 45-day clause that effectively put him, and his contract, under a probationary period for the seasons opening weeks.

They told me I made the team, he said, but they wanted me to sign a 45-day advance-consent release. It, essentially, (lets them) do anything with me in the first 45 days of the season.

I principally objected to that because we negotiated in good faith in February on a very team-friendly contract.

When Wolf refused to sign the clause, the Mariners released him, which makes him a free agent with less than a week remaining before the start of the regular season.
The Phillies and Mariners both seem to have an unconventional front office approach to rookies and free agents.

So Scheppers goes from barely making the rotation to opening day starter :unsure:
Maybe they should have thrown some money at N. Cruz. Like 1/9mill. No good starters out there for them. Go the other way and load up on offense until Holland returns and trade deadline.

Holland was hurt months ago. Their pitching situation is not surprising. Like the Angels last year with Blanton and Hanson at the back of the rotation. You knew that would not work. Same with Texas. Not smart to count on M. Harrisson coming off back surgery. He's only decent at 100% to begin with.

Are the tigers insane?
Cabrera should put Bobby Bonilla to shame with all the deferring that will need to be done with that contract.

He's the best hitter of your lifetime, he's worth twice what they are paying him for the next several years.
Top 5, yes. Best? Debatable. Should be the highest paid player in the game, IMO. But the duration scares me.

And not sure what's so funny about stating a fact. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the tigers insane?
Cabrera should put Bobby Bonilla to shame with all the deferring that will need to be done with that contract.

He's the best hitter of your lifetime, he's worth twice what they are paying him for the next several years.
i don't doubt that he should be the highest-paid player in the game, but 6 years from now when they will still owe him like $140 million for 4 years, it's probably not going to be pretty.

Doctor Detroit said:
shadyridr said:
Typical DD. Someone disagrees with him and he insults them. Thats his MO.

Anyway Pujols was better in his prime than Miggy so calling him the best hitter of your generation is a bit of a stretch. Nothing wrong with being second best
Thanks Vinny, your opinion is always valued here. ool
your homer goggles are usually quite rosy.I have no problem with this as long as Illitch is upright. It won't impact spending. He wants to win. If he kicks it though? Uh oh.

I don't think it's that bad a deal. There's obvious a pretty good chance the Tigers will be overpaying for his age 35-40 seasons, but with contract inflation over 10 years it might not even be that bad.

I don't think it's that bad a deal. There's obvious a pretty good chance the Tigers will be overpaying for his age 35-40 seasons, but with contract inflation over 10 years it might not even be that bad.
His age 35-40 seasons are 75% of the deal. He was already signed through his age 32 season.

To me, that's the key. If this were a ten year free agency deal, it would be excessive but understandable. He means a lot to the city and the fans, he's an amazing talent, you don't want to lose him to someone else's crazy bid. etc. But what are the chances that two years from now someone would want to sign him to a deal for $250 million? Seems unlikely. I can't remember anyone even signing a >$150 million dollar deal at that age other than A-Rod's hilarious deal. Miggy's a special talent so he wouldn't necessarily be constrained by previous deals, but he's also not the fittest guy in the world, hard to imagine he ages well.

His age 35-40 seasons are 75% of the deal. He was already signed through his age 32 season.

To me, that's the key. If this were a ten year free agency deal, it would be excessive but understandable. He means a lot to the city and the fans, he's an amazing talent, you don't want to lose him to someone else's crazy bid. etc. But what are the chances that two years from now someone would want to sign him to a deal for $250 million? Seems unlikely. I can't remember anyone even signing a >$150 million dollar deal at that age other than A-Rod's hilarious deal. Miggy's a special talent so he wouldn't necessarily be constrained by previous deals, but he's also not the fittest guy in the world, hard to imagine he ages well.
I think about it like this - It's hard for me envision a scenario (barring unforeseen injury/suspension) over the next 5 seasons where the Tigers are better without Cabrera than with they are with him. The 5 after that are almost certainly going to be a bad deal for the team but 1) they're likely to get at least some productivity in years 6 and 7 and 2) contract inflation over 10 years will somewhat ease the effect of the sunk cost in the tail years.

As you point out he was already under contract for 2 of the first 5, so they have basically bought 3 additional years at the back end of his prime for 5 years of the contract being an increasing constraint on their overall competitiveness. That obviously doesn't seem like a good deal, and it's easy to question if they needed to do this extension now, but we don't know what was being communicated between the team and the player. Plus, if you look at the deal that Pujols got at age 32, it's highly likely Cabrera gets a similar length/value contract to this in 2 years.

So while I don't think there's any scenario in which you would call this a bargain for Detroit, I also think the people calling this a disaster for the team are being hyperbolic. The contract will be dead weight in the long run but is likely to be beneficial first, and in the long run we are all dead.

I think about it like this - It's hard for me envision a scenario (barring unforeseen injury/suspension) over the next 5 seasons where the Tigers are better without Cabrera than with they are with him. The 5 after that are almost certainly going to be a bad deal for the team but 1) they're likely to get at least some productivity in years 6 and 7 and 2) contract inflation over 10 years will somewhat ease the effect of the sunk cost in the tail years.

As you point out he was already under contract for 2 of the first 5, so they have basically bought 3 additional years at the back end of his prime for 5 years of the contract being an increasing constraint on their overall competitiveness. That obviously doesn't seem like a good deal, and it's easy to question if they needed to do this extension now, but we don't know what was being communicated between the team and the player. Plus, if you look at the deal that Pujols got at age 32, it's highly likely Cabrera gets a similar length/value contract to this in 2 years.

So while I don't think there's any scenario in which you would call this a bargain for Detroit, I also think the people calling this a disaster for the team are being hyperbolic. The contract will be dead weight in the long run but is likely to be beneficial first, and in the long run we are all dead.
It's also hard for me to imagine a scenario over the next five years where the Tigers are better without Max Scherzer and Doug Fister than they are with them. If the Tigers hadn't pulled the trigger early on the Cabrera extension that might have had enough cash to keep Fister and extend Scherzer.

I didn't include Fielder in that statement because it's possible they'll be better off without him than with him if it turns out Castellanos is a stud and Kinsler retains his value from 32-35 (or that Fielder falls off a cliff), but i wouldn't want to be counting on those things.

Users who are viewing this thread