What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official 2014 MLB Regular Season-All over but the shouting (2 Viewers)

urbanhack said:
bigmarc27 said:
BobbyLayne said:
the moops said:
I guess I was looking at it from general public view. A very large percent would recognize the Monster and the Ivy. I can't imagine many people would know what the hell that frieze is.
:lmao:
:goodposting:
:confused:
As someone who grew up in the Midwest and spent my first 37 years living there or South Carolina, I would say the frieze at the old Yankee Stadium is probably the most enduring and recognizable architectural feature of any sports stadium in North America.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/764383-mlb-ballparks-a-ranking-of-the-coolest-feature-of-every-stadium-in-baseball/page/29

In 2010, Yankees fans, many begrudgingly, migrated to a new Yankees Stadium. There are mixed opinions comparing old and new, and "Yoi'kas" are ever so adamant to their respective stance.

Thankfully, some elements of the old stadium shine through in the new edition; the most critical was the single most defining characteristic of Yankees Stadium and baseball in New York.

The lattice work.

Lattice work is perfectly replicated at the new location, rimming the outfield wall just like the original park. the design is also seen serving as an overhang from locations above the infield seating.

Whether they prefer new or old, this critical, historical element of Yankees baseball continues to live on into the future decades.

More than the "Green Monster" or any modern monuments to the game, this design will always be associated with Yankees Stadium, home of the most successful team in MLB history.
Wah? Seriously? I've always noticed it but had no clue what it was even called.

In areas like this, I revert to the wife test...

"Do you know what the green monster is in baseball?"

Wife: "it's the really big wall in Boston, right?"

"Do you know what the frieze is in baseball?"

Wife: "go cut the grass"

Never heard it called that and never thought of it as recognizable.
You Yankee fans need to get over yourselves. Ive been a pretty big baseball fan my entire life and I can honestly never even knew this "frieze" was a "thing". I barely recognize the site of it and never heard the word in my life. Love 'em or hate 'em, the rocks/waterfall in Anaheim, the pool in Arizona, the train in Houston, McCovey cove, the arch in St Louis, the slide in Milwaukee, the warehouse in Camden Yards, the roof in Toronto, hell - even the spinning fish in Florida are all much more recognizable than some dumb white fence thing that Ive never noticed or heard of.
Like others have mentioned, it's usually called the "facade" but technically it's a frieze. The name isn't synonymous with anything because people don't know what a frieze is whereas everyone knows what a train, a roof, and rocks are. But either way, if you don't recognize the actual structure then I'm sorry but you aren't as big a baseball fan as you think you are. If you do a Google image search for "Yankee Stadium", it's literally in almost every single picture.

urbanhack said:
bigmarc27 said:
BobbyLayne said:
the moops said:
I guess I was looking at it from general public view. A very large percent would recognize the Monster and the Ivy. I can't imagine many people would know what the hell that frieze is.
As someone who grew up in the Midwest and spent my first 37 years living there or South Carolina, I would say the frieze at the old Yankee Stadium is probably the most enduring and recognizable architectural feature of any sports stadium in North America.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/764383-mlb-ballparks-a-ranking-of-the-coolest-feature-of-every-stadium-in-baseball/page/29

In 2010, Yankees fans, many begrudgingly, migrated to a new Yankees Stadium. There are mixed opinions comparing old and new, and "Yoi'kas" are ever so adamant to their respective stance.

Thankfully, some elements of the old stadium shine through in the new edition; the most critical was the single most defining characteristic of Yankees Stadium and baseball in New York.

The lattice work.

Lattice work is perfectly replicated at the new location, rimming the outfield wall just like the original park. the design is also seen serving as an overhang from locations above the infield seating.

Whether they prefer new or old, this critical, historical element of Yankees baseball continues to live on into the future decades.

More than the "Green Monster" or any modern monuments to the game, this design will always be associated with Yankees Stadium, home of the most successful team in MLB history.

You Yankee fans need to get over yourselves. Ive been a pretty big baseball fan my entire life and I can honestly never even knew this "frieze" was a "thing". I barely recognize the site of it and never heard the word in my life. Love 'em or hate 'em, the rocks/waterfall in Anaheim, the pool in Arizona, the train in Houston, McCovey cove, the arch in St Louis, the slide in Milwaukee, the warehouse in Camden Yards, the roof in Toronto, hell - even the spinning fish in Florida are all much more recognizable than some dumb white fence thing that Ive never noticed or heard of.
Like others have mentioned, it's usually called the "facade" but technically it's a frieze. The name isn't synonymous with anything because people don't know what a frieze is whereas everyone knows what a train, a roof, and rocks are. But either way, if you don't recognize the actual structure then I'm sorry but you aren't as big a baseball fan as you think you are. If you do a Google image search for "Yankee Stadium", it's literally in almost every single picture.
This is the image that I associate with Yankee stadium and the one you see in most all of the google images. My eyes are always drawn to the big Yankee symbol behind home plate. That's what I would consider the most recognizable part of Yankee stadium. I'm not saying wouldn't recognize the fence thingie, but just seems like a place to hang advertising to me, and comparing it to the green monster or the ivy covered walls of Wrigley is laughable.

This is the image that I associate with Yankee stadium and the one you see in most all of the google images. My eyes are always drawn to the big Yankee symbol behind home plate. That's what I would consider the most recognizable part of Yankee stadium. I'm not saying wouldn't recognize the fence thingie, but just seems like a place to hang advertising to me, and comparing it to the green monster or the ivy covered walls of Wrigley is laughable.
:lmao: WTF? Yet you dont see the giant white fence that goes along the entire perimeter of the stadium?

So now youre saying you would recognize it? And there is literally ZERO advertising hanging on the facade

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao: WTF? Yet you dont see the giant white fence that goes along the entire perimeter of the stadium?

So now youre saying you would recognize it? And there is literally ZERO advertising hanging on the facade
I see it now, but what I am saying is that if you would've asked me to name the most recognizable thing in Yankee stadium, I would've said the NY symbol. If you pressed me for another "thing" I honestly wouldn't have been able to come up with anything. I seriously never even knew the "facade" was a thing. This whole discussion is the first time Ive ever heard anyone make a big deal out of it. :shrug:

I see it now, but what I am saying is that if you would've asked me to name the most recognizable thing in Yankee stadium, I would've said the NY symbol. If you pressed me for another "thing" I honestly wouldn't have been able to come up with anything. I seriously never even knew the "facade" was a thing. This whole discussion is the first time Ive ever heard anyone make a big deal out of it. :shrug:
In the old Yankee Stadium (which that picture is), the Yankee logo behind home plate was a relatively new thing. And now in the new stadium, that Yankee logo behind the plate is actually pretty small because there isn't as much room between the plate and the backstop. If that's the first thing you think of, I'm not going to tell you you're wrong. But you'd definitely be in the minority.

In the final season at the old place, MLB thought enough of the facade/frieze to make it the primary aspect of the Yankee Stadium 2008 All Star game logo :shrug:

I agree that it is the most recognizable part of the stadium, hence the inclusion of it in the All-Star logo.

But I think it is a huge stretch to think that anyone but people from NY or hardcore baseball fans find that facade more recognizable than a few of the other things mentioned.

In the old Yankee Stadium (which that picture is), the Yankee logo behind home plate was a relatively new thing. And now in the new stadium, that Yankee logo behind the plate is actually pretty small because there isn't as much room between the plate and the backstop. If that's the first thing you think of, I'm not going to tell you you're wrong. But you'd definitely be in the minority.

In the final season at the old place, MLB thought enough of the facade/frieze to make it the primary aspect of the Yankee Stadium 2008 All Star game logo :shrug:
I don't think making the facade part of the ASG logo is inconsistent with what anyone is saying. McCovey Cove was part of the SF ASG logo. The White Sox' pinwheels were part of the 2003 ASG logo. Most seem to concede that it is on par with those; just not up there with the Green Monster or the Ivy.

I don't think making the facade part of the ASG logo is inconsistent with what anyone is saying. McCovey Cove was part of the SF ASG logo. The White Sox' pinwheels were part of the 2003 ASG logo. Most seem to concede that it is on par with those; just not up there with the Green Monster or the Ivy.
I agree, not as recognizable as the Green Monster or the Ivy in Wrigley. But for one to claim they are a huge baseball fan and never heard of or recognized the facade in Yankee Stadium is pretty asinine.

Gonna drop this here for want of a better place. On this day in 1951, Willie Mays got his first hit.

Mays began his major league career with no hits in his first 12 at bats. On his 13th at bat, he hit a homer over the left field fence of the Polo Grounds off future Hall of Famer Warren Spahn.Spahn later joked, "I'll never forgive myself. We might have gotten rid of Willie forever if I'd only struck him out."

Pet peeves, baseball edition: When you're in the car listening to the game on the radio, and the announcers have a "special guest" in the booth. Happened last week during a Cubs game. They had some comedian I'd never heard of in the booth, because he was going to be at a comedy club in Chicago that night. That alone would be bad enough, but while they're interviewing Guy I couldn't care less about, you can clearly hear pitch after pitch hitting the catcher's mitt, and we have to guess what the count is while Guy I couldn't care less about is in the middle of some stupid story.

Maddening. They know they are working the game on the RADIO, right?

The lattice work.

:lmao: Rocks in Anaheim... that crap looks like it was an incomplete miniature golf course

Stauffer gave up 6 hits, 1 BB and 7 ER in 0.1 IP tonight. That's not easy to do, especially against a bottom-5 OBP team.

I had to share this somewhere. Listening to the Mets broadcast of the Mets/Phils game (due to blackout restrictions):

Announcer 1: "I've never had a manicure."

Announcer 2: "I've never had a manicure, either."

Announcer 1: "I've also never had a facial"

Announcer 2: "Oh, I've had a facial."

NTTTAWWT :oldunsure:

:lmao: @ Mike Carp thinking David Price would want to plunk .227-hitting Mike Carp on purpose.

When reached for comment, Price said "WHO IS MIKE CARP???"

I had to share this somewhere. Listening to the Mets broadcast of the Mets/Phils game (due to blackout restrictions):

gary cohen, ron darling, and kieth hernandez are the best announcing team in all of baseball

gary cohen, ron darling, and kieth hernandez are the best announcing team in all of baseball
But my bet would be that Keith has had a facial or two.

Northern Voice said:
Bautista throws Billy Butler out at first on a 5 hopper into RF. :lmao:
I wonder if this is a borderline bush play. And its not a shot at Joey Bats, I only ask because it seemed like when Tony Gwynn was a fat sumbuck at the end, no one ever attempted this (could be wrong, wasn't watching every pods game). So its not a bush league play but it feels like you wouldn't do this to a really respected player. Or am I dreaming and is an out an out.

Northern Voice said:
I wonder if this is a borderline bush play. And its not a shot at Joey Bats, I only ask because it seemed like when Tony Gwynn was a fat sumbuck at the end, no one ever attempted this (could be wrong, wasn't watching every pods game). So its not a bush league play but it feels like you wouldn't do this to a really respected player. Or am I dreaming and is an out and out.
wtf

Northern Voice said:
I wonder if this is a borderline bush play. And its not a shot at Joey Bats, I only ask because it seemed like when Tony Gwynn was a fat sumbuck at the end, no one ever attempted this (could be wrong, wasn't watching every pods game). So its not a bush league play but it feels like you wouldn't do this to a really respected player. Or am I dreaming and is an out and out.
wtf
This one's up there with the crap about not stealing up 6 runs and not bunting during a no-hitter. Total garbage that people think this way. Don't want a guy bunting for a hit, stealing a bag, or throwing you out from RF??? BE BETTER!

Northern Voice said:
:confused: That was a line drive one hop bullet to right field and right at Bautista who made a great play. Can't exactly fault Butler on that play.

Shifts are bush league
Please tell me why stealing up 6 runs or more in later innings, or swinging 3-0 when you are up by a wide margin is frowned upon. And we are not talking the about if this should be, tell me why it generally has been.

Northern Voice said:
wtf

This ain't soccer or TDF.

Former Saints QB Aaron Brooks just gave up seven first inning runs to the Jays. :mellow:
WHAT? I had no idea he was pitching, always wondered what happened to him, he carried me on a nice little run his first year starting til the clock struck midnight.

EDIT: Doc you clown :lmao:

Former Saints QB Aaron Brooks just gave up seven first inning runs to the Jays. :mellow:
WHAT? I had no idea he was pitching, always wondered what happened to him, he carried me on a nice little run his first year starting til the clock struck midnight.

EDIT: Doc you clown :lmao:
lol did you think he pulled a Tracy McGrady?
I honestly had no idea, I figured it could be around the right age and the royals are the perfect organization to suggest such a thing on.

Brooks to Horn, good times.

Trevor Bauer looked good today :oldunsure:

Not sure if I'd trust him just yet, but ball was really popping out there. Mid-high 90's, decent command. Kids still just 23.

Users who are viewing this thread