What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official 2014 MLB Regular Season-All over but the shouting (1 Viewer)

They scored 5 runs to tie the game 6-6 after two outs and nobody was on base. Good thing the Braves didn't break some ridiculous unwritten rule by stealing a base the inning before.

ESPN just left the Yankees/Cardinals in the 5th to go to SportsCenter. Nice work.

ETA: Switched the game over to ESPN2 without warning. :loco:

Last edited by a moderator:
*** Breaking News ****

The Phillies have scored a run. This is not a hoax. The Phillies have scored a run.

More details as they become available

*** Stay tuned for more Breaking News ****

Yordano, wait!

Ventura left Monday's game with a trainer, the Kansas City Andy McCullough reports.
Spin:
He had given up five earned runs on seven hits and three walks in just 2.2 innings before leaving the game. His fastball, which often sits 98-100 mph, was clocked at just 91 mph against the final hitter he faced. There's no word as to an injury yet, but this is obviously very concerning.
Hello, TJ

Yordano, wait!

Ventura left Monday's game with a trainer, the Kansas City Andy McCullough reports.

Spin: He had given up five earned runs on seven hits and three walks in just 2.2 innings before leaving the game. His fastball, which often sits 98-100 mph, was clocked at just 91 mph against the final hitter he faced. There's no word as to an injury yet, but this is obviously very concerning.

Hello, TJ
Sounds an awful lot like Jose's last start.

Smack Tripper said:
The monster it's second only to the ivy as most iconic of elements in baseball.
Hmmmm. Interesting poll here.
Yeah maybe it's east coast bias by me, but i put the monster way ahead of the ivy
Not even close. The monster is in a category of its own like Madison Square Garden and Lambeu Field.
What also came to mind is the Yankee Stadium frieze and the "water spectacular" in KC.

Smack Tripper said:
Yeah maybe it's east coast bias by me, but i put the monster way ahead of the ivy
Not even close. The monster is in a category of its own like Madison Square Garden and Lambeu Field.
What also came to mind is the Yankee Stadium frieze and the "water spectacular" in KC.
ummm. no

Smack Tripper said:
ummm. no
The frieze is up there. It's not like they just got it in 2009 with the new stadium...it was a staple of the original since its inception, just took on a couple of different forms. But people see that and immediately think Yankee Stadium. Probably 3rd place in terms of icon status, but it's safe to put it up there with the other two. The warehouse in Camden is probably next.

And I'd say the KC fountains are in the same class as the Clemente Bridge and McCovey Cove on the next tier. I'm also thinking about this way too much.

I guess I was looking at it from general public view. A very large percent would recognize the Monster and the Ivy. I can't imagine many people would know what the hell that frieze is.

I guess I was looking at it from general public view. A very large percent would recognize the Monster and the Ivy. I can't imagine many people would know what the hell that frieze is.
:lmao:
:goodposting:
:confused:
As someone who grew up in the Midwest and spent my first 37 years living there or South Carolina, I would say the frieze at the old Yankee Stadium is probably the most enduring and recognizable architectural feature of any sports stadium in North America.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/764383-mlb-ballparks-a-ranking-of-the-coolest-feature-of-every-stadium-in-baseball/page/29

In 2010, Yankees fans, many begrudgingly, migrated to a new Yankees Stadium. There are mixed opinions comparing old and new, and "Yoi'kas" are ever so adamant to their respective stance.

Thankfully, some elements of the old stadium shine through in the new edition; the most critical was the single most defining characteristic of Yankees Stadium and baseball in New York.

The lattice work.

Lattice work is perfectly replicated at the new location, rimming the outfield wall just like the original park. the design is also seen serving as an overhang from locations above the infield seating.

Whether they prefer new or old, this critical, historical element of Yankees baseball continues to live on into the future decades.

More than the "Green Monster" or any modern monuments to the game, this design will always be associated with Yankees Stadium, home of the most successful team in MLB history.

As someone who grew up in the Midwest and spent my first 37 years living there or South Carolina, I would say the frieze at the old Yankee Stadium is probably the most enduring and recognizable architectural feature of any sports stadium in North America.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/764383-mlb-ballparks-a-ranking-of-the-coolest-feature-of-every-stadium-in-baseball/page/29

In 2010, Yankees fans, many begrudgingly, migrated to a new Yankees Stadium. There are mixed opinions comparing old and new, and "Yoi'kas" are ever so adamant to their respective stance.

Thankfully, some elements of the old stadium shine through in the new edition; the most critical was the single most defining characteristic of Yankees Stadium and baseball in New York.

The lattice work.

Lattice work is perfectly replicated at the new location, rimming the outfield wall just like the original park. the design is also seen serving as an overhang from locations above the infield seating.

Whether they prefer new or old, this critical, historical element of Yankees baseball continues to live on into the future decades.

More than the "Green Monster" or any modern monuments to the game, this design will always be associated with Yankees Stadium, home of the most successful team in MLB history.
Wah? Seriously? I've always noticed it but had no clue what it was even called.

In areas like this, I revert to the wife test...

"Do you know what the green monster is in baseball?"

Wife: "it's the really big wall in Boston, right?"

"Do you know what the frieze is in baseball?"

Wife: "go cut the grass"

The lattice work.

Never heard it called that and never thought of it as recognizable.

Yordano, wait!

Spin: He had given up five earned runs on seven hits and three walks in just 2.2 innings before leaving the game. His fastball, which often sits 98-100 mph, was clocked at just 91 mph against the final hitter he faced. There's no word as to an injury yet, but this is obviously very concerning.

Hello, TJ
Sounds an awful lot like Jose's last start.
updates:

Ventura received an MRI on his injured elbow Monday, and manager Ned Yost is hopeful that he will only miss "a start or two," MLB Network Radio reports.
Spin:
The results of the MRI were not disclosed, so expect Ventura's status to be updated as more details become available. Ventura could still land on the disabled list, and he is not in the clear just yet, but at first look it does not appear he is facing an extended absence.
news_breaking.png

Tue, May 27

Royals manager Ned Yost said that both he and the team's training staff believe Ventura does not have a ligament injury, 610 Sports Radio's Josh Vernier reports.
Spin:
The Royals should know more after an MRI on Tuesday, and while Ventura isn't in the clear by any means, it's a good sign that the discomfort is at the lateral side of his elbow, rather than the medial side. However, his fastball velocity -- which normally sits in the high 90s -- was down to 91 mph by the end of Monday's disastrous outing.

shadyridr said:
i always called it the facade
Yeah, I actually have never heard it called frieze. I always thought that meant relief sculpture on a building, like on the Parthenon.

So I would grant that Yankee Stadium frieze is not in the national lexicon (nor is Yankee Stadium lattice work). So it's not easily digestible to the general population like the Green Monster of the ivy covered outfield of Wrigley Field.

BUT, show anyone these pictures - baseball fan or not - and they'll instantly say Yankee Stadium. I would argue it's one of the most recognizable visuals of any stadium in the U.S.A.

But the name of it, yeah, not so much.

Always heard of it as the facade too.

And I'd be one to say that Monument Park is more recognizable as 'Yankee Stadium' than David Frieze.

Michael Brown said:
the moops said:
Raider Nation said:
bigmarc27 said:
Michael Brown said:
the moops said:
Smack Tripper said:
ummm. no
And I'd say the KC fountains are in the same class as the Clemente Bridge and McCovey Cove on the next tier. I'm also thinking about this way too much.
In the early 90s, the fountains likely would have been #2 to young NV, but that has everything to do with RBI Baseball.

I watched a documentary recently about new Yankee Stadium and the Steinbrenner family referred to it repeatedly as the frieze. Good enough for me.

Entering the seventh inning of Tuesday night's game against the Rockies (GameTracker), Phillies fly-catcher Ben Revere had gone 1,565 plate appearances without hitting a major-league home run. Then, this happened ...http://cdn.fangraphs.com/not/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/reverehr.gif

Congratulations, Boone Logan: You've done what no one has ever done before -- i.e., give up a big-league home run to Ben Revere!

HUGE shock.

How often does the next day's starting pitcher, pinch hit in the 10th and hit an RBI double to score the intentionally walked Mark "Speedy" Reynolds all the way from first? Someone at Elias get on this

urbanhack said:
bigmarc27 said:
BobbyLayne said:
the moops said:

The lattice work.

Never heard it called that and never thought of it as recognizable.
You Yankee fans need to get over yourselves. Ive been a pretty big baseball fan my entire life and I can honestly never even knew this "frieze" was a "thing". I barely recognize the site of it and never heard the word in my life. Love 'em or hate 'em, the rocks/waterfall in Anaheim, the pool in Arizona, the train in Houston, McCovey cove, the arch in St Louis, the slide in Milwaukee, the warehouse in Camden Yards, the roof in Toronto, hell - even the spinning fish in Florida are all much more recognizable than some dumb white fence thing that Ive never noticed or heard of.

urbanhack said:
bigmarc27 said:
BobbyLayne said:
the moops said:

The lattice work.

Wah? Seriously? I've always noticed it but had no clue what it was even called.In areas like this, I revert to the wife test...

:goodposting: Never heard it called that and never thought of it as recognizable.
You Yankee fans need to get over yourselves. Ive been a pretty big baseball fan my entire life and I can honestly never even knew this "frieze" was a "thing". I barely recognize the site of it and never heard the word in my life. Love 'em or hate 'em, the rocks/waterfall in Anaheim, the pool in Arizona, the train in Houston, McCovey cove, the arch in St Louis, the slide in Milwaukee, the warehouse in Camden Yards, the roof in Toronto, hell - even the spinning fish in Florida are all much more recognizable than some dumb white fence thing that Ive never noticed or heard of.
lolz

Users who are viewing this thread