What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (1 Viewer)

Decided to bite the bullet and join the club near my house. Carried for the first time last night but it wasn't that bad. (Only 9 holes though and the back is a tougher walk)

Ended up shooting a 44 despite an 8 on #2 ( fairway bunker and had trouble advancing the ball) and rimming out a 5 footer on 9. Made 4 pars (tying the most I'd ever made for a whole round) and beat my previous best for a 9 by 3 strokes.

So yeah, I MAY have turned the corner to mediocrity here. When I played the full course on Sunday I was 5 strokes worse on the back but I think I can do better. ( Had some really bad swings)Starting to get optimistic that I might be a consistent mid 90's guy by the end of the year ( which was my goal)

It's just so nice to be able to just drive 5 minutes over to the course and practice/play whenever I want. The cost per round will likely be too high but the benefits of convenience and happiness from getting better can't really be measured

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided to bite the bullet and join the club near my house. Carried for the first time last night but it wasn't that bad. (Only 9 holes though and the back is a tougher walk)

Ended up shooting a 44 despite an 8 on #2 ( fairway bunker and had trouble advancing the ball) and rimming out a 5 footer on 9. Made 4 pars (tying the most I'd ever made for a whole round) and beat my previous best for a 9 by 3 strokes.

So yeah, I MAY have turned the corner to mediocrity here. When I played the full course on Sunday I was 5 strokes worse on the back but I think I can do better. ( Had some really bad swings)Starting to get optimistic that I might be a consistent mid 90's guy by the end of the year ( which was my goal)

It's just so nice to be able to just drive 5 minutes over to the course and practice/play whenever I want. The cost per round will likely be too high but the benefits of convenience and happiness from getting better can't really be measured
:unsure:

"lip out"    

:P

This makes complete sense to me. Most of my rounds would be in the evening after work  (course is also 2 minutes from my office) or in the afternoon on weekends. I'd be more than happy to ride at peak hours to both support the club financially and keep up speed of play (although I'm a fast walker and I really don't riding would speed me up all that much)

Just a real bummer, as its a very nice course, super convenient (plus I could play as a junior member for the next 4 years) and very reasonable financially.

Part of the reason carrying is such a PITA for me is I have an old bag(was planning to update this christmas. Maybe I'll just do it now and see if it makes carrying viable)  that doesn't have the backpack straps that most newer bags have. So I end up just carrying it over one shoulder. I carried one time last year (bought myself a pull cart this year so I could play some twilight rounds at the county courses) and the next day, my leg on the side I carried was just in agony.
This is a great cool type of bag we used in the 70's-80's and a single carry strap.

https://www.jonesgolfbags.com/collections/carry-bags

Strange night in my league last night.  First of all I got drilled in the back with a ball. Some guy duck hooks it off the tee around some tress where I am getting ready to play my shot. Since he did not see me he never yelled fore.  Thankfully I had my back turned and it nailed me in the left lat area.  I have never been hit before and I first I thought I was shot by a hunter. Hurt like a #####! When I got home my wife said I had dimple marks from the ball.  Have a 4 inch welt there today.

Second how would you call this?   The guy I am playing is kind of a doosh.  He hits his approach shot just short of the green on the apron about 6-8 feet from the hole so he can`t mark it.  The ball is puttable so as he is taking his practice putting stroke he hits his ball and it rolls into a crappy area about 5 feet to the side.   My playing partner says it is a stroke and he has to play the ball where in now lays in some deeper grass..he says no that he can put it back to where it was without a stroke.  I was not sure of the rule so just let him put it back. So he puts it back and ends up draining the putt.  I ended up losing the match by one stroke.  My partner is mad because he said I should have counted the stroke and made him play from the deeper grass as he would have had to chip it and probably gets a 6 instead of a 4.
In league you make him play by the rules.  If he questions the rules and is adamant that it should be done the way he is saying, you make him play two balls and record both scores and get the rule figured out afterwards.  There are always douches in league situations like this and a little humility like being publicly told(in a full bar after the round) that you were wrong on the rules is good for everyone.

18-2. By Player, Partner, Caddie or Equipment

Except as permitted by the Rules, when a player's ball is in play, if

(i)

the player, his partner or either of their caddies:

lifts or moves the ball,

touches it purposely (except with a club in the act of addressing the ball), or

causes the ball to move, or

(ii)

the equipment of the player or his partner causes the ball to move, the player incurs a penalty of one stroke.

If the ball is moved, it must be replaced, unless the movement of the ball occurs after the player has begun the stroke or the backward movement of the club for the stroke and the stroke is made.

Under the Rules there is no penalty if a player accidentally causes his ball to move in the following circumstances:

In searching for a ball covered by sand or in re-creating the lie of a ball that has been altered during such a process, in the replacement of loose impediments moved in a hazard while finding or identifying a ball, in probing for a ball lying in water in a water hazard or in searching for a ball in an obstruction or an abnormal ground condition - Rule 12-1

In repairing a hole plug or ball mark - Rule 16-1c

In measuring - Rule 18-6

In lifting a ball under a Rule - Rule 20-1

In placing or replacing a ball under a Rule - Rule 20-3a

In removing a loose impediment on the putting green - Rule 23-1

In removing movable obstructions - Rule 24-1

Click here for more information about the Local Rule for Accidental Movement of a Ball on a Putting Green (effective 1/1/2017)

Rule 18-2

Practice Swing Accidentally Moves Ball in Play

Q.While making a practice swing, Brenda accidentally moved her ball in play with her club. What is the ruling?

A.Brenda incurs a one stroke penalty, and must replace the ball to its original position. If she fails to replace the ball, she will incur a total penalty of loss of hole in match play or two strokes in stroke play. Please refer to the Penalty Statement under Rule 18. (Rule 18-2a and Decision 18-2a/20)

https://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=70&Rule=18

You guys that belong to clubs, does your place allow pull carts?

There's a very nice course 2 minutes from my house that offers what appeared to be pretty incredible deal for a junior membership through the end of the year. However I found out that they don't have/allow pull carts. 

Half the appeal of golf for me is all the walking, but I've got a very iffy back, so carrying is very risky. Really don't feel like dropping 25 bucks 3 times a week to ride. 

Is the " no pull carts" rule strictly a money grab? ( Knowing that most guys at country clubs aren't gonna want to carry). My dad's place has pull carts available so I was surprised that this place doesn't. Really bummed as it would be a really easy way for me to get a few rounds a week in after work. 
I'm sure they have medical exemptions. 

I'm sure they have medical exemptions. 
Well, I'm not really at the point of a medical exemption. I'm just 33 years old and just have horrible posture and weak hip flexors. So every once in a while I get really bad back spasms that put me mostly out of commission for a few days.

I don't exercise or stretch nearly as much as I should. Hopefully walking this course a few times a week and just generally playing more will help me lose a few pounds and get into better shape.

I'm not a very good golfer. I can never put everything together on the same day. 

That said, at my home courses Id say I usually average 85. 

Played today and had 7 pars and 1 birdie. 

For a nice lil 89. :bag:

I'm not a very good golfer. I can never put everything together on the same day. 

That said, at my home courses Id say I usually average 85. 

Played today and had 7 pars and 1 birdie. 

For a nice lil 89. :bag:
An 89 is better than 80% of what weekend golfers score.

shot 39 on the front yesterday with 3 birdies....best ever with some bad luck on a couple holes....

then thru up a 48 on the back......

if i could ever put 2 9's together....argh...

Jones bags were "standard issue" for collegiate golf for years.  Durable as hell and really comfortable to carry.  
And high school...the double strap with the added furry pads was ground-breaking! I don't think the leg stands were invented yet when I had mine.

Anyone recommend course in Williamsburg?

A couple I wanted to play you have to stay at the resort so that is out

Anyone recommend course in Williamsburg?

A couple I wanted to play you have to stay at the resort so that is out
Golden Horseshoe is a great track to play. They have 2 courses, Gold and Green I believe and both are really fun courses.

Fords Colony is okay, nice place but Blackheath was in terrible shape when I was there. I think Blue Herron is supposed to the nicer course there.

One place I would suggest, and it looks like you are coming from the North like me so you can hit it on your way back is Royal New Kent. Very challenging course, but it is just as fun and fair to play. 

There are tons of courses down there, but I would be sure to hit Golden Horseshoe and Royal New Kent if you can.

Golden Horseshoe is a great track to play. They have 2 courses, Gold and Green I believe and both are really fun courses.

Fords Colony is okay, nice place but Blackheath was in terrible shape when I was there. I think Blue Herron is supposed to the nicer course there.

One place I would suggest, and it looks like you are coming from the North like me so you can hit it on your way back is Royal New Kent. Very challenging course, but it is just as fun and fair to play. 

There are tons of courses down there, but I would be sure to hit Golden Horseshoe and Royal New Kent if you can.
Sweet - that was the one I was looking at.  Gold just reopened.  I think they have 3.

Golfing on the way back is not an option since it's a family vacation :)

Fords Colony - i've read mixed things on

The one I really wanted to try was Kingsmill but that looks out

Look at me time.  I'm roughly an 18 handicap. Second outing of the year (played 36 the day before) and first round on my home club. Shot two under on the front with four birdies. Didn't have the time to play the back nine

Just picjedf up the game again after a 12 year layoff.  I was never good before but played 4 times a week.  I've played two full rounds so far and had the goal each time to have three good holes a side, which I did. Played pitch and putt earlier this week and finished 16 over but had 6 pars, which made me happy.  I'm picking up a set of TM Burners tomorrow for $50 so I have something to practice with.  Will pick up some Eye 2 when I've hit a couple thousand more balls at the range. Really glad to be back. 

Burners didn't work out.  I think they are 1/2 inch short and definitely need new grips.  Put them in the closet until later.

HOWEVER...

Researched getting a set of clubs that were good, all purpose, well regarded sticks.  Used to play Cleveland TA-2's and Cobras. Didn't need the newest gear, just something reliable. As I said above I figure I need a lot more practice then I do new gear.  So I waited on Craigslist until I found what I was after:  A well kept set of Eye 2 irons, 3-9.  With a bag.  $80.  Picked them up about 3 weeks ago.  Reviews said the loft was a bit better for getting the ball up. I've never owned any Pings.

Since then I've hit 854 shots with the 7 iron at the range.  Picked up a Cleveland 60 degree last week and have hit 202 with it.  The rust is coming off.  I may play a full round Wednesday although I haven't hit any other clubs from the set just yet and don't have any woods. I've been pleased with how quick it all comes back though - 60 degree is 65 yards on the screws 80% of the time.  7 iron is 130 80% of the time too.  Short I know, but Im old and inflexible and need to stretch more.  Draw is coming back.  Fade is coming back.  

I also played the best course I've ever played 3 weeks ago in Chicago (Old Elm).  Makes all the muni's I normally frequent look like landfills.  

Love of the game never left, just took a detour.

Also, I was going to get a Newport 2.5 today and picked up the Sentio Sierra at the store to try out. For $200 less it really has me thinking.  

Friday and Saturday I was in a two day tournament. I had something really weird happen. On the 14 th hole, a 167 yd par 3, I hit the pin both days. First time it was in the 2nd hop and almost went in, ended up 1 ft. Saturday it hit on the first bounce and ended up 8 ft away. Made birdie both days. 

That got me wondering if the odds of doing that was higher or lower than getting a hole in one. 

:kicksrock:   I've only played 5 times this year.  new job and travel softball :(

I used to play 40-50 times a year.    

So i get a bit frsutrated when I hit horrible ####s.  I still slapped an 81 together but it was ugly.  No touch at all.   I haven't even been to a range

Can anyone recommend some decent public courses in LA?  I'll be there for 2 weeks next month.  I'm from the East coast and am always wide awake at 4am there so woud like to get the 1st tee time and get some golf in before work meetings.

I'll be staying downtown by the Staples Center.

so frustrated - with my new schedule and my involvement with my daughters travel softball - i'm down from 40-50 rounds to 7 so far this year.

While it's enjoyable - I find I'm getting frustrated too easily because I don't play to "my level"

I ended the year last year a 6.9 and am up to a 7.9 - not the biggest of deals but the last 2 rounds I played were the worst rounds I've played in 10 years.

I had topped balls, shank, 3 inches fat, 3 putts - it was like I was just golfing for the first time. I even hot my driver fat a few times

I'm at the point where I may hang them up instead of playing - I don't go to the range anymore.

My last round was decent but some of the same horrible "issues" that showed up - fat driver.....  very unlike me

That being said - I tried the Kirkland ball and other than the horrible logo - it's a really nice ball.   And I'm a ball snob.

so frustrated - with my new schedule and my involvement with my daughters travel softball - i'm down from 40-50 rounds to 7 so far this year.

While it's enjoyable - I find I'm getting frustrated too easily because I don't play to "my level"

I ended the year last year a 6.9 and am up to a 7.9 - not the biggest of deals but the last 2 rounds I played were the worst rounds I've played in 10 years.

I had topped balls, shank, 3 inches fat, 3 putts - it was like I was just golfing for the first time. I even hot my driver fat a few times

I'm at the point where I may hang them up instead of playing - I don't go to the range anymore.

My last round was decent but some of the same horrible "issues" that showed up - fat driver.....  very unlike me

That being said - I tried the Kirkland ball and other than the horrible logo - it's a really nice ball.   And I'm a ball snob.
I've only played twice - down from about 25 rounds and I live on a freaking golf course. But I'd take a 7.9 handicap any day.

Played 18 yesterday for the first time in 6 weeks yesterday.  I've been practicing a ton and picked up a new set of irons for my te xas bag.  

The bad: I have no distance off the tee.  None. Maybe 160 and always a slice so no roll.  4 wood, 7 wood doesn't matter (I don't have a driver)  makes it really hard to GIR . I may hust start hitting 5 iron since i know that goes 170 straight and rolls.  

The mediocre: Chipping is getting better - I had really bad yips but improving. Managed to get all but one shot from inside 20 yards onto the green. 

The good: irons were hit well so all my practice is paying off.  And my putter is really good.  31 total putts including 3 makes between 10 and 15 feet.  Holed out for birdie on 18 from 50 with a 56 degree.  I've never done anything like that. Parred all 4 par 3s  

Shot an honest 95 which sounds terrible but i was really proud.  If I can just find a reliable 220 off the tee I'll be in the 80s reliably. 

Breaking down and going with surgery again to fix a frozen shoulder - haven't played much golf since I had the first surgery 5 years ago for the same thing ...on the other shoulder.  Would really like to get back in it.  

Heading out to play a twilight round. First of many during MBA2, I hope. It might be disastrous though. My friend, and partner for the round, was a college golfer. And this is my 3rd round. Ever. So............

My 3some hacked our way through Rancho Mirage Country Club Labor Day weekend for $25 per person. Beautiful southwest track in 105 degree sunshine.

Breaking down and going with surgery again to fix a frozen shoulder - haven't played much golf since I had the first surgery 5 years ago for the same thing ...on the other shoulder.  Would really like to get back in it.  
have a 7 handicap.  shot 69 today-par 71-course 6400 yards.

just so cool to practice chip shots & have them pay off.   it's a good game-you end up knowing more about yourself than you want to.

now I'm smoking & drinkin & thinkin how good I am.

Oh ya.

peace out dudes

I was down to a 8-10 until my daughters got involved into everything and then playing college volleyball.   Went from playing 3 days a week and hitting balls to 9 holes a week and no range..handicap up to 14-16.  The time I spent with them was well worth it and now I miss it.  Golf will be there forever....

I’ve ranged from a 4-7 for the last 10 years...had the best summer and early Fall in 10 years...definitely putting the best...have some new co-workers who are dying to play regularly...which was destiny since we’re having our first baby in Dec.   Spring is going to be painful (in my golf life anyway).

Very disappointing end to the season for me. I joined a club in July and had gotten to the point where I was pretty consistently below 100 on a slope 133 course. (after never breaking 100 on any course until this year). Then at some point, all hell broke loose and my mechanics just went to ####. Now I'm losing everything off the right (especially the driver) and just not striking the ball well anymore. (even when I feel I hit the ball well, I'm coming up 10 yards short of where I was during the summer)  I played the best 9 I'd ever played (shot a 45 on a very tough 9 from the blues) back in September but it just went down hill from there. Probably should have taken a lesson to try and right the ship but just never got around to it. Played yesterday and sucked again and just decided to call it a year.

I hate this game.

Tough game. Handicap up to a 9.  Inconsistent and shot an 89 in the wind today.  Probably hit 2 fairways.  But just happy to be playing again after 4 months on the shelf with brutal sciatica.  For awhile I thought I'd never play again.  So I'll take hacking anytime, though I hope I can get back to playing better.

We do a road golf trip every year with 8-12 guys and I just got my e-mail for next year to plan flights and who can or can`t make it.  Out of all places this was never in my thought process.  We are going to Oregon.   Right now he has Pacific Dunes, Bandon Dunes, Old McDonald, and Bandon Trails lined up.  Looks like we are staying right on site there. 

Anyone played or stayed there..feedback?   Courses look very nice.

When? Bandon is spectacular, but supposedly has a small sweet spot of weather of 2-3 months late summer.

Looking at late June right now.
I think that’s on the front edge of the window, but hope it works...worst case you probably play in cool light rain. Everyone I know and trust who’s played Bandon says it’s spectacular.

We do a road golf trip every year with 8-12 guys and I just got my e-mail for next year to plan flights and who can or can`t make it.  Out of all places this was never in my thought process.  We are going to Oregon.   Right now he has Pacific Dunes, Bandon Dunes, Old McDonald, and Bandon Trails lined up.  Looks like we are staying right on site there. 

Anyone played or stayed there..feedback?   Courses look very nice.
Lifetime trip. Just go. The best place on Earth for a group of men to get away and golf, eat and drink.

gump said:
I think that’s on the front edge of the window, but hope it works...worst case you probably play in cool light rain. Everyone I know and trust who’s played Bandon says it’s spectacular.
It is spectacular, that might not do it justice. I live here (Oregon) and have been playing since they opened the first course.

The first time I played it was 70 and sunny one day then 50, windy and rainy the next day. Honestly I was more proud of the slightly higher score I posted on the rain day, some shots were 4 club difference. But even on the rain day, the courses stay firm, the greens roll and golf is fun. It's like nothing else I've ever played.

Lifetime trip. Just go. The best place on Earth for a group of men to get away and golf, eat and drink.
Wow..that good? 

We usually go to Northern Michigan, Myrtle Beach, Florida, California.  The guy planning it this year has a friend who is a pro there and is hooking us up for very decent rates for green fees and lodging compared to the regular prices.

Wow..that good? 

We usually go to Northern Michigan, Myrtle Beach, Florida, California.  The guy planning it this year has a friend who is a pro there and is hooking us up for very decent rates for green fees and lodging compared to the regular prices.
Yes

Users who are viewing this thread