What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Boardwalk Empire thread (1 Viewer)

It seems like a pretty big stretch to just immediately assume he was there to kill himself. How is it not just as likely that he's there to do drugs, bury a body, write poetry, etc?
Yeah I can't tell you how difficult it is for me to write poems without my trusty shotgun at my side.
Dude is in the woods, presumably miles from civilization. It wouldn't seem to be too abnormal to bring a gun along for protection.But I liked how you skipped over the other two and just focused on the one that you thought would be easiest. :thumbup:
Easy man, I was only busting balls. But just to cover the bases, you also don't need a gun to do drugs or bury a body. And I think it's a much bigger leap for the two men to assume he needed to go 30 miles from home and deep into the woods just to do drugs. Burying a body maybe, but again he had no shovel and no dirt on him. So I think it was perfectly logical that they would think he was there to kill himself.I thought it was pretty obvious what the one dude was telling Richard. When the guy says to Richard that the woods are for living, what did you think he meant? If he assumed Richard was in the woods to just hunt or do drugs or whatever, why get all vague and preachy about how the woods are for living?
I'm just messing around too, no big deal. I agree with you that the hobo was of course referencing Rich's suicide. The problem I have is that he somehow knew about it in the first place. I've read everyone's explanations, but honestly, I just don't buy it. I think you guys are reading into these things only because you already saw Rich put the gun to his face. If you hadn't seen him do that and didn't know anything about the guy - like the hobos - then I don't think you'd have just assumed he was there to kill himself based upon the circumstantial evidence you guys are throwing out there.I honestly just saw that entire sequence in the woods as extremely artificial and out of place. It was disappointing because Richard was already a very interesting and intriguing character - this forced sequence really was not necessary. To me, it'd be roughly the equivalent of having Jimmy win a knife throwing contest at a bar, just to reaffirm to everyone that he's still good with knives. In the end, what was the point? To show that Richard is depressed and borderline suicidal? To show that he's lonely or lost in life or that he needs purpose? We already knew all of these things about him. I hate to say this, but I really got the feeling of, "Hey, this character has loads of potential and we'd really like to give him more face time and develop him... but we have absolutely no idea what we want to do with him quite yet." And besides all of this, meeting a mysterious stranger in the woods and then walking away with some sort of enlightened outlook on life (or whatever) is a bit of a silly premise for an adult drama to delve into, wouldn't you say?All of this being said, this is still my favorite show on TV, and last night's episode was superb (and easily the best this season) - but that's in spite of the aforementioned sequence, not because of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, and no disrespect intended, but that's pretty stupid, IMO. They "asked questions and figured out he was out there to kill himself?" Please. Break this down for me and give me specific details with quotes, and show me how this would have come about in any realistic situation.Major, major reach, and incredibly forced, if you ask me.
During the conversation one of the woodsmen mentions that people come to the forest for all kinds of dumb things and the forest is for living, hunting not that tomfoolery. He then looks at Richard and asks if he understands that the forest is for living. Richard at this point realizes that they know of his suicide attempt. At least that was my take on the conversation.
Circular. How did they know about his suicide attempt?
Well since they aren't mind readers and didn't witness Richard with the barrell in his mouth I guess they couldn't have known for sure since Richard didn't mention it. However, Richard told them he was in the woods to hunt. I think they assumed that he was not in the woods to hunt but to commit suicide because he was 30 miles out of town, wearing a suit, not with hunting or survival gear except a rifle with limited ammunition, obviously had his mask off and out of his reach since the dog got it, and had no plans or way to return to town with also no plans for shelter for the night. He also wasn't hunting and looked a somewhat hopeless when he was found.In my opinion it's not really much of a stretch for them to be able to reach that conclusion.
If he was going to kill himself, why would he have bothered chasing the dog down for the mask? That, to me, would seem to be pretty solid evidence that he was NOT there to kill himself, through the eyes of the hobos. Or at least as solid as the evidence that you've presented for the opposite to be true. Especially considering the fact that a shotgun blast would almost definitely have blown his mask into a million pieces anyway.
If I were in his shoes, I would be thinking,"God, I am about to pull the trigger, give me a sign as to why I shouldn't..." then the dog shows up. Now he needs his mask back.I think they should have kept his face hidden for a while, kinda to leave things to the imagination, at least until maybe the last episode of the season. But whatever.

Adebisi's Boardwalk Empire viewing = Serious Business.
:lmao: You people sure do get defensive about your television shows, don't you?

Not to worry - I'm sure if this show hangs around long enough, other people will also realize that it's got its flaws.
:confused: You're the most defensive guy in here. A bunch of people thought you were wrong about something specific, you get pissy as always, so that means everyone else is defensive and doesn't think the show has flaws? You act exactly the same when someone thinks differently than you do about anything. :loco:

Not to worry - I'm sure if this show hangs around long enough, other people will also realize that it's got its flaws.
:confused: You're the most defensive guy in here. A bunch of people thought you were wrong about something specific, you get pissy as always, so that means everyone else is defensive and doesn't think the show has flaws? You act exactly the same when someone thinks differently than you do about anything. :loco:
Yeah, I gave up responding to him. He's either fishing or just really dense.

I'm surprised people were finding the start to the seaon boring. I thought the first season started slow, as they introduced the main players, but this season has been really good right from the first episode, imo.

I'm surprised people were finding the start to the seaon boring. I thought the first season started slow, as they introduced the main players, but this season has been really good right from the first episode, imo.
What I didn't like from the first two episodes this season was they seemed to be spoon feeding the audience the storyline so far. I realize they were doing it to get people who missed season 1 up to speed, but IMO, it made for some crappy writing. That said episodes 3-5 this season have been really good...with each one better than the last.

Hey how about this: Maybe the dog can talk and he told the squirrel-eaters he saw Harrow try to eat his gun.

:lmao: No, you're the defensive one.

:rolleyes:

I apologize for having a different opinion than you and then having the audacity to explain myself. My mistake.

:coffee:

It seems like a pretty big stretch to just immediately assume he was there to kill himself. How is it not just as likely that he's there to do drugs, bury a body, write poetry, etc?
Yeah I can't tell you how difficult it is for me to write poems without my trusty shotgun at my side.
Dude is in the woods, presumably miles from civilization. It wouldn't seem to be too abnormal to bring a gun along for protection.But I liked how you skipped over the other two and just focused on the one that you thought would be easiest. :thumbup:
Easy man, I was only busting balls. But just to cover the bases, you also don't need a gun to do drugs or bury a body. And I think it's a much bigger leap for the two men to assume he needed to go 30 miles from home and deep into the woods just to do drugs. Burying a body maybe, but again he had no shovel and no dirt on him. So I think it was perfectly logical that they would think he was there to kill himself.I thought it was pretty obvious what the one dude was telling Richard. When the guy says to Richard that the woods are for living, what did you think he meant? If he assumed Richard was in the woods to just hunt or do drugs or whatever, why get all vague and preachy about how the woods are for living?
I'm just messing around too, no big deal. I agree with you that the hobo was of course referencing Rich's suicide. The problem I have is that he somehow knew about it in the first place. I've read everyone's explanations, but honestly, I just don't buy it. I think you guys are reading into these things only because you already saw Rich put the gun to his face. If you hadn't seen him do that and didn't know anything about the guy - like the hobos - then I don't think you'd have just assumed he was there to kill himself based upon the circumstantial evidence you guys are throwing out there.I honestly just saw that entire sequence in the woods as extremely artificial and out of place. It was disappointing because Richard was already a very interesting and intriguing character - this forced sequence really was not necessary. To me, it'd be roughly the equivalent of having Jimmy win a knife throwing contest at a bar, just to reaffirm to everyone that he's still good with knives. In the end, what was the point? To show that Richard is depressed and borderline suicidal? To show that he's lonely or lost in life or that he needs purpose? We already knew all of these things about him. I hate to say this, but I really got the feeling of, "Hey, this character has loads of potential and we'd really like to give him more face time and develop him... but we have absolutely no idea what we want to do with him quite yet."

And besides all of this, meeting a mysterious stranger in the woods and then walking away with some sort of enlightened outlook on life (or whatever) is a bit of a silly premise for an adult drama to delve into, wouldn't you say?

All of this being said, this is still my favorite show on TV, and last night's episode was superb (and easily the best this season) - but that's in spite of the aforementioned sequence, not because of it.
Unexpected encounters with strangers can often have a very deep impact. If a friend or family member had talked with him about living life and being a soldier, it may have gotten lost amongst the thousands of conversations he had with them or the motivation/bias of the loved one might have been questioned. However, with a total stranger, it will really stand out and can almost seem like a miracle or act of fate.

This is my favorite show on TV right now, but I wasn't a huge fan of this past episode.

- I thought the scene where Richard put the gun to his mouth was pretty stupid. He obviously wasn't really going to kill himself, so why even bother?

- The final words that the one hobo said to Richard (clearly implying that he'd seen him contemplate killing himself) destroyed that entire sequence. It was ridiculous and downright silly.
Agree with the first...I never for a second thought it would really happen.Disagree with the second....'its about living' I think is what he said...I thought it was clever, because he was talking about the woods being about hunting, fishing, etc.
Why bring that up at all? Under normal circumstances, that's not really something that you'd say to someone out of nowhere, just from having met that person in the woods.
I actually thought he was going in a different direction at first, implying not to bring victims out there to kill or other illegal activities.
How would those guys have had even the first clue that Richard was involved in murders?
How would they know he was going to kill himself? Thats what I liked about it....I didn't where they going or what they were thinking.
I don't think it made any sense either way. :shrug:
They asked him questions and figured out he was out there to kill himself. He was thirty miles from home, didn't know where in the woods he was or how to get back, had a messed up face and a shotgun. Seemed like both dudes kinda liked him and were basically saying "don't kill yourself, man." The point of his arc in the woods, to me, was to show how hopeless and close to the bottom he was. The dog was shown to be him, a beaten-up soldier who survives without or without reason to, who finds comfort in companionship. Richard then seeks it out with Jimmy and reaffirms his will to push on.
Sorry, and no disrespect intended, but that's pretty stupid, IMO. They "asked questions and figured out he was out there to kill himself?" Please. Break this down for me and give me specific details with quotes, and show me how this would have come about in any realistic situation.Major, major reach, and incredibly forced, if you ask me.
I don't have a transcript. They asked him where he was from, he said Atlantic City, which they pointed out was thirty miles away. They asked him if he knew how to get back, he said no. When they asked him why he was in the woods, he said to hunt, and I remember they looked at each other after he said that like it didn't add up. It doesn't take a supertnaturally keen mind to add it all up the way it was presented, and I don't understand why you'd want more proof than the scene provided. I thought the connection drawn between Richard and the dog was cool. If you didn't like the episode or found that forced, sorry you feel that way. It was my favorite episode of the season so far.
This

The season is really picking up steam. Good bloodshed again. Love the ruthless Jew. :thumbup:

"The Age of Reason" is the last of the episodes that HBO sent out before season 2 began, and when I watched it, I half-wished the initial screener package had ended with "Gimcrack and Bunkum." I was on such a high after the Richard/Jimmy scene, the Eli/Nucky fight and the other great moments, and then brought back down a bit by an episode that spends a lot of time with Agent Van Alden, and with Nucky back to his more buttoned-down, less compelling self.

Still, if "The Age of Reason" isn't the most exciting episode of the season's first half, it's important in the way it sets various things in motion for the second half. It's an episode about faith, but also about contingencies. You can pray to whatever deity you believe in, and try to connect with Him spiritually, but you'd sure as hell better have a backup plan in place in the event He doesn't solve your problems for you.

So Margaret reluctantly takes her first confession in years to set an example for Teddy, and while she doesn't reveal any of what she's been up to as Nucky's unofficial consiglieri, she does confirms what we've known for weeks: that she's seriously attracted to Owen Sleater, and possibly even considering him as an option if things with Nucky remain cool and difficult. (Of course, he'd have to stop paying attention to Katy first.)

Our first scene transition conflates Van Alden with Jesus on the cross, which is no doubt how Nelson views himself deep within his hypocritical, self-aggrandizing, fevered mind. Throughout the episode, he prays about the fate of Agent Clarkson, though it's not entirely clear whether he wants the man to survive, or to die without giving up Van Alden's shady doings. And though he manages to escape justice when it turns out that Clarkson's "I know what you did" is a delirious childhood memory, his fear of his impending professional demise winds up sending an alarm signal to Mrs. Van Alden, who comes down in time to see Lucy's baby. (And Lucy having the baby on her own is its own impressive back-up plan.)

Until now, Van Alden's been able to get away with a lot, but at least for this week, he suffers personally even as his job remains secure. And I hope that either his period of grace doesn't last (Michael Shannon is obviously very in-demand in the movie world right now) or he winds up more directly in Nucky's path, because Van Alden has become much more erratic and less interesting the further he's had to move towards the story's margins.

Nucky and Rothstein spend a lot of time orchestrating a back-up plan to get around how Jimmy and the Commodore shut down his usual liquor channels, and Jimmy nearly blows up their Plan B when he spots Manny's sidekick(*) with Nucky and Waxey Gordon. But instead, Meyer Lansky talks Jimmy into a fascinating Plan C, one where the young turks leave their mentors alone in the short-term but wind up becoming richer and more powerful in the long-term.

(*) And even that murder has a religious tint, as Manny complains he can't do it because his former friend is "trafe" (food that isn't kosher), so Jimmy winds up doing it in a manner similar to how a kosher slaughterer would: quick and clean, with the blood draining immediately.

And after being so smug that Harry Daugherty was going to get him out of the election fraud mess that he violently turned away Eli's attempt to team back up with him (and before Eli could tell him who was going to testify against him), Nucky winds up right back in the soup because Daugherty is more scared of Nucky-hating Senator Edge than he is of Nucky. When you have as many enemies as Nucky has developed, you need to not only have a Plan B, but C through X, Y and Z. He may come up with those later, but doesn't have those now, in part because of his own temper. Nucky was always the cool customer, and Jimmy the hothead, but this week Jimmy actually listens to the advice of Atlantic City elder Mr. Whitlock about how not every insult needs a response. He eases up on ruining Nucky's shipment because Meyer helps him see the longer game (where Manny can't resist shooting the goon who sings Waxey's praises) and may have put himself back in the game even though the Commodore is now physically and mentally irrelevant.

Lot of game to still be played in the second half of the season, but Nucky's falling behind at the moment.

Not liking how Margaret's character is becoming petty. I was hoping she would be the character that gave money freely to the staff, and didn't get wrapped up in all the greed.

Not liking how Margaret's character is becoming petty. I was hoping she would be the character that gave money freely to the staff, and didn't get wrapped up in all the greed.
But it's interesting to me to see how she's changing just by being around Nucky and that lifestyle. Now she's going to get into cheating like Nucky and hook up with Owen at some point. She's becoming one of them, and she's starting to fight her own demons. I can't wait until she finally offs someone and totally succombs to the new life.

I don't think she's becoming petty. She knows the value of money probably better than Nucky. This episode also confirms that she's got the hots for The Edge and is jealous of the maid who's banging him. She's also very conflicted...how to be a good mother, a good person, and probably a good Catholic all the while she's shacked up with a guy like Nucky Thompson.

She's becoming one of them, and she's starting to fight her own demons. I can't wait until she finally offs someone and totally succombs to the new life.
Same with Van Alden. You can't stay clean being around this stuff no matter how you start out. I have to believe things are heading such a way that Van Alden will have to play ball with somebody. The question is - who?

She's becoming one of them, and she's starting to fight her own demons. I can't wait until she finally offs someone and totally succombs to the new life.
Same with Van Alden. You can't stay clean being around this stuff no matter how you start out. I have to believe things are heading such a way that Van Alden will have to play ball with somebody. The question is - who?
I forgot, did Van Alden do anything other than kill that guy in the river?

Knocked up Miss Clap 1921 and then took money from speaks that they raided to support her.

I think he's been siphoning off money they've been taking into custody from bootleggers to pay for some of the extravagances he's had to bear due to getting Lucy knocked up. What Sconch said.

Knocked up Miss Clap 1921 and then took money from speaks that they raided to support her.
ahh, that's right..i forgot about him taking the money

There was an almost Deadwood-like wit to this episode that I haven't seen on the show before. I laughed out loud three of four times and prior to this Van Alden was the only one I had laughed at. He continues to be my favorite character. Michael Shannon is freaking brilliant. And it was the episode of misunderstandings, for sure. Some lol moments:

Margaret at confession, when the priest says something like are you having impure thoughts about the man who is providing for your children. Meg's thought bubble: "Oh hell no, he's nailing me, I'm talking about the mick whose been coming around, who makes me moist every time he sets foot in the house."

The look on Paz's face after she dropped the baby was straight out of the Al Swearengen's after passing his kidney stone book.

Van Alden's snapping at his boss' blasphemy. Then the freak-out at the timing of the guy coming to, the reaction to his comment, then the light bulb and subsequent further wigging, including essentially telling the old lady he was going to kill himself. That whole bit was the funniest thing I've seen on the show. The way they edited that was great. Where's Van Alden going? Straight to a phone to tell his wife goodbye, of course. :lmao: Which of course was resolved in a kind of heartwarming way by him doing it because he sees it as the right thing to do for Lucy and his child. That was all very well-written and executed.

The kid shutting the curtains on Paz.

The continual appreciation for fashion, in this case a good pair of shoes.

Van Alden's 180 after learning that the guy was just delirious and then the luck of coming back to Paz to find that crafty old lady of his. :lmao: The poor guy...even when he thinks he's caught a break...nope.

The walk into to Manny's meat room with homey hanging upside down and Manny's rationale for not being able to kill the guy.

The almost Keystone cops-like way the shoot-out unfolded. "Wait...what? Who is that? Wtf?"

This show is finally catching its stride and while I was watching to date mostly because it was the only HBO drama running, I'm now completely on board and looking forward to new episodes.

coming back to Paz to find that crafty old lady of his. :lmao: The poor guy...even when he thinks he's caught a break...nope.
The lighting in the scene when he gets home after leaving the hospital the first time was noteworthy. He enters the murky apartment, puts the bag of lemons down on the table, sees the broken dish on the floor and enters the hallway nearly totally submerged in darkness. Then he steps out of the dark, into the room with bright light hitting his face before they ever cut to Lucy and the baby on the bed. Fantastic film work there.

Good point. Especially with his holier than thou marriage being ruined, he's stepping closer to the edge with every episode. Since he's already dealt with Micky Doyle, maybe he seeks him out and starts out small since Micky already offered him his services after buying the record player, or whatever they called it back then. On another note, has Jimmy's limp always been so pronounced as it was last night? It seemed exaggerated to the point I asked the misses what the limp was about. She confirmed that he always had it, but I noticed it last night. So much for attention to detail. :bag:It's going to be an interesting plot when Jimmy, Charlie and MEYER team up and start their own crew and start screwing over Nucky and AR.

On another note, has Jimmy's limp always been so pronounced as it was last night? It seemed exaggerated to the point I asked the misses what the limp was about. She confirmed that he always had it, but I noticed it last night. So much for attention to detail. :bag:
He's definitely playing up the limp more than he has in most of the previous episodes. I noticed that too.

On another note, has Jimmy's limp always been so pronounced as it was last night? It seemed exaggerated to the point I asked the misses what the limp was about. She confirmed that he always had it, but I noticed it last night. So much for attention to detail. :bag:
He's definitely playing up the limp more than he has in most of the previous episodes. I noticed that too.
Ok, glad I'm not the only one. But in my case I never noticed it at all before last night. :lmao:Not for Raider Nation's eyes; (next week previews)
It looks like Owen is in a knife fight with... Hank Azaria?! Probably just a look alike.... Margaret getting thrown onto a bed by Owen?... Capone and Charlie in the Commodore's house?... Charlie and Gillian getting it on again... And Eli ordering someone to be killed. The plots thicken.

Ok, glad I'm not the only one. But in my case I never noticed it at all before last night. :lmao:
Pitt with his limp seems to be like Kevin Costner is with accents.

Ok, glad I'm not the only one. But in my case I never noticed it at all before last night. :lmao:
It's such a pronounced difference that I wonder if it's his doing or the writers. Either that or they figure that IRL somebody with that kind of injury would probably experience varying pain and issues walking, which affords them the ability to not have to be too concerned with him getting that just right. Whatever the case, it's obvious and there is no doubt that the creative powers that be were aware of it and let it go.

IRL somebody with that kind of injury would probably experience varying pain and issues walking, which affords them the ability to not have to be too concerned with him getting that just right.
This is what I'm thinking. Some days it's probably worse than others. :shrug:

There was an almost Deadwood-like wit to this episode that I haven't seen on the show before. I laughed out loud three of four times and prior to this Van Alden was the only one I had laughed at. He continues to be my favorite character. Michael Shannon is freaking brilliant. And it was the episode of misunderstandings, for sure. Some lol moments:Margaret at confession, when the priest says something like are you having impure thoughts about the man who is providing for your children. Meg's thought bubble: "Oh hell no, he's nailing me, I'm talking about the mick whose been coming around, who makes me moist every time he sets foot in the house."The look on Paz's face after she dropped the baby was straight out of the Al Swearengen's after passing his kidney stone book.Van Alden's snapping at his boss' blasphemy. Then the freak-out at the timing of the guy coming to, the reaction to his comment, then the light bulb and subsequent further wigging, including essentially telling the old lady he was going to kill himself. That whole bit was the funniest thing I've seen on the show. The way they edited that was great. Where's Van Alden going? Straight to a phone to tell his wife goodbye, of course. :lmao: Which of course was resolved in a kind of heartwarming way by him doing it because he sees it as the right thing to do for Lucy and his child. That was all very well-written and executed.The kid shutting the curtains on Paz.The continual appreciation for fashion, in this case a good pair of shoes.Van Alden's 180 after learning that the guy was just delirious and then the luck of coming back to Paz to find that crafty old lady of his. :lmao: The poor guy...even when he thinks he's caught a break...nope.The walk into to Manny's meat room with homey hanging upside down and Manny's rationale for not being able to kill the guy.The almost Keystone cops-like way the shoot-out unfolded. "Wait...what? Who is that? Wtf?"This show is finally catching its stride and while I was watching to date mostly because it was the only HBO drama running, I'm now completely on board and looking forward to new episodes.
no mention of the brilliance of Van Alden"I got the lemons"

There was an almost Deadwood-like wit to this episode that I haven't seen on the show before. I laughed out loud three of four times and prior to this Van Alden was the only one I had laughed at. He continues to be my favorite character. Michael Shannon is freaking brilliant. And it was the episode of misunderstandings, for sure. Some lol moments:Margaret at confession, when the priest says something like are you having impure thoughts about the man who is providing for your children. Meg's thought bubble: "Oh hell no, he's nailing me, I'm talking about the mick whose been coming around, who makes me moist every time he sets foot in the house."The look on Paz's face after she dropped the baby was straight out of the Al Swearengen's after passing his kidney stone book.Van Alden's snapping at his boss' blasphemy. Then the freak-out at the timing of the guy coming to, the reaction to his comment, then the light bulb and subsequent further wigging, including essentially telling the old lady he was going to kill himself. That whole bit was the funniest thing I've seen on the show. The way they edited that was great. Where's Van Alden going? Straight to a phone to tell his wife goodbye, of course. :lmao: Which of course was resolved in a kind of heartwarming way by him doing it because he sees it as the right thing to do for Lucy and his child. That was all very well-written and executed.The kid shutting the curtains on Paz.The continual appreciation for fashion, in this case a good pair of shoes.Van Alden's 180 after learning that the guy was just delirious and then the luck of coming back to Paz to find that crafty old lady of his. :lmao: The poor guy...even when he thinks he's caught a break...nope.The walk into to Manny's meat room with homey hanging upside down and Manny's rationale for not being able to kill the guy.The almost Keystone cops-like way the shoot-out unfolded. "Wait...what? Who is that? Wtf?"This show is finally catching its stride and while I was watching to date mostly because it was the only HBO drama running, I'm now completely on board and looking forward to new episodes.
I thought the lawyer who was originally going to prosecute Nucky was hilarious. His court room dramatics and the whole apple/cherry pie scene with Nucky. :lmao: I'm turning into a wimp, I had to close my eyes when Jimmy slit the guy's throat.

There was an almost Deadwood-like wit to this episode that I haven't seen on the show before. I laughed out loud three of four times and prior to this Van Alden was the only one I had laughed at. He continues to be my favorite character. Michael Shannon is freaking brilliant. And it was the episode of misunderstandings, for sure. Some lol moments:

Margaret at confession, when the priest says something like are you having impure thoughts about the man who is providing for your children. Meg's thought bubble: "Oh hell no, he's nailing me, I'm talking about the mick whose been coming around, who makes me moist every time he sets foot in the house."

The look on Paz's face after she dropped the baby was straight out of the Al Swearengen's after passing his kidney stone book.

Van Alden's snapping at his boss' blasphemy. Then the freak-out at the timing of the guy coming to, the reaction to his comment, then the light bulb and subsequent further wigging, including essentially telling the old lady he was going to kill himself. That whole bit was the funniest thing I've seen on the show. The way they edited that was great. Where's Van Alden going? Straight to a phone to tell his wife goodbye, of course. :lmao: Which of course was resolved in a kind of heartwarming way by him doing it because he sees it as the right thing to do for Lucy and his child. That was all very well-written and executed.

The kid shutting the curtains on Paz.

The continual appreciation for fashion, in this case a good pair of shoes.

Van Alden's 180 after learning that the guy was just delirious and then the luck of coming back to Paz to find that crafty old lady of his. :lmao: The poor guy...even when he thinks he's caught a break...nope.

The walk into to Manny's meat room with homey hanging upside down and Manny's rationale for not being able to kill the guy.

The almost Keystone cops-like way the shoot-out unfolded. "Wait...what? Who is that? Wtf?"

This show is finally catching its stride and while I was watching to date mostly because it was the only HBO drama running, I'm now completely on board and looking forward to new episodes.
I thought the lawyer who was originally going to prosecute Nucky was hilarious. His court room dramatics and the whole apple/cherry pie scene with Nucky. :lmao:
:lmao:

I think he plays it up when it is beneficial that his character is a hardened war veteran who is not just a boy any more.not sure if that's Jimmy playing it up for the people around him to take him more seriously, or Pitt playing it up as an important point to the dialogue. either way, I would buy the former, so it doesn't bother me.

It's such a pronounced difference that I wonder if it's his doing or the writers. Either that or they figure that IRL somebody with that kind of injury would probably experience varying pain and issues walking, which affords them the ability to not have to be too concerned with him getting that just right. Whatever the case, it's obvious and there is no doubt that the creative powers that be were aware of it and let it go.
I could be mistaken, but I thought early in S1 he talks about the varying pain and difficulties he experiences.

Same here. While it's interesting to see a character evolve sometimes, Margaret was one of the show's only moral characters.

Same here. While it's interesting to see a character evolve sometimes, Margaret was one of the show's only moral characters.
I think it's a great attempt at some exploration of human nature - can you get involved with this stuff, even on the periphery, and stay pure? So they're sort of tracking the descent leaving us to wonder can she (and Van Alden) pull out of it/get clean again? It's a thing I really like about this show, all the characters are nuanced, not all good or all bad. There aren't really any obvious, single dimensional good guys or bad guys. They're also doing a nice job of exposing the motivation for these people and the dilemmas they're in, though not necessarily up front.

I never took her for a moral character at all. :confused:
Yeah, though she seemed pure and innocent at the outset, she sure moved on in a hurry after her hubby got whacked. And now you're wondering why her she's considered dead to her family. There's much more to learn about Margaret than we've seen.

I think it's a great attempt at some exploration of human nature - can you get involved with this stuff, even on the periphery, and stay pure? So they're sort of tracking the descent leaving us to wonder can she (and Van Alden) pull out of it/get clean again? It's a thing I really like about this show, all the characters are nuanced, not all good or all bad. There aren't really any obvious, single dimensional good guys or bad guys. They're also doing a nice job of exposing the motivation for these people and the dilemmas they're in, though not necessarily up front.
I don't disagree. I'm not saying the writers made a poor choice. I just liked her as a person early in the show.

I don't disagree. I'm not saying the writers made a poor choice. I just liked her as a person early in the show.
Yep. At least she was conflicted early on. That's gone now.

Users who are viewing this thread