What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**OFFICIAL Minnesota Twins Thread** - This Is Totally The Year! (2 Viewers)

Isn't the point that Hunter is going to be a mentor to their young OFs?
Is he going to punch any of them?
I like the odds of Hunter hitting for a better average, about 280, and more HR's, about 18 then any other OF on the Twins on the roster. I don't pay to go to Twins games to watch prospects, if I wanted to watch prospects, I buy season tickets to the farm clubs schedule.
Let's say he does what steamer is projecting, and hits 286, obp 319, and slugs 446, while being a huge liability in the field. Steamer projects him to have a WAR of about 1.7 (which would make his contract a reasonable deal). I think that's all being very optimistic, but admit it's possible. But even if that all happens, so what? What does that possibly buy them? Are they going to be able to flip him for a great package at the ASB? This team isn't a dark horse contender. Is Hunter going to come back next year? Why is he really there? Fans show up when a team is in the playoffs (or at least fighting for a spot). Signing Hunter doesn't bring them closer to the playoffs. At least playing the young guys can help you figure out which of them CAN help you make the playoffs in the following years.

I like the odds of Hunter hitting for a better average, about 280, and more HR's, about 18 then any other OF on the Twins on the roster. I don't pay to go to Twins games to watch prospects, if I wanted to watch prospects, I buy season tickets to the farm clubs schedule.
Let's say he does what steamer is projecting, and hits 286, obp 319, and slugs 446, while being a huge liability in the field. Steamer projects him to have a WAR of about 1.7 (which would make his contract a reasonable deal). I think that's all being very optimistic, but admit it's possible. But even if that all happens, so what? What does that possibly buy them? Are they going to be able to flip him for a great package at the ASB? This team isn't a dark horse contender. Is Hunter going to come back next year? Why is he really there? Fans show up when a team is in the playoffs (or at least fighting for a spot). Signing Hunter doesn't bring them closer to the playoffs. At least playing the young guys can help you figure out which of them CAN help you make the playoffs in the following years.
Veteran leadership, guy.

Local sports guys can't suck his D enough...I really don't get it.

Yeah, but he used to be a Twin when they were good. Necessary signing.

Veteran leadership, guy.

Local sports guys can't suck his D enough...I really don't get it.
Gotta help keep those homos out of the locker room.

I don't really follow high school or college baseball, but is it possible there is some can't miss guy at the top of next year's draft and the Twins are pulling a 76ers move here?

I don't really follow high school or college baseball, but is it possible there is some can't miss guy at the top of next year's draft and the Twins are pulling a 76ers move here?
I just think they know they're at least another year away from a number of their prospects to full time participants. Sano and Buxton are maybe up later in the year. Meyer maybe breaks in spring, maybe is up later. Rosario and Polanco probably make appearances this year at some point, but aren't studs. Berrios probably another year away at least. Kohl Stewart/Nick Gordon still 2-3 years away.

So hey, be cheap and punt!

I just think they know they're at least another year away from a number of their prospects to full time participants. Sano and Buxton are maybe up later in the year. Meyer maybe breaks in spring, maybe is up later. Rosario and Polanco probably make appearances this year at some point, but aren't studs. Berrios probably another year away at least. Kohl Stewart/Nick Gordon still 2-3 years away.

So hey, be cheap and punt!
That's what I said.

Day 2 of the winter meetings closed on Tuesday....well, slowed down...with no major deals.
We thought things were over last night, but the White Sox stole the show by signing closer David Robertson and closing on a deal for Jeff Samardzija. Chicago looks to be leaving the Twins at the bottom of the AL Central.[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

``We can talk all we want about it,'' GM Terry Ryan said. ``Let's see how it plays out.''

Just fantastic

$54 million for Ervin Santana ..... will he be Phil Hughes or Ricky Nolasco?

If it is the latter that is $100 million down the drain in two years ..... under the former regime that would have been two years worth of major league salaries

Why do I not see Hunter hitting .280+?This Twins lineup is just a shade less talented than the Detroit Tigers lineup. Just a shade less

Not sure what the Twins are doing the last couple of years. They shouldn't be signing veteran starters for 4 years and more than 10 mil. Keep developing the system and scouring the waiver wire. When the kids are up, then start buying.

Not sure what the Twins are doing the last couple of years. They shouldn't be signing veteran starters for 4 years and more than 10 mil. Keep developing the system and scouring the waiver wire. When the kids are up, then start buying.
Well, the market isn't always going to be the the same every year. I think they're grabbing players when they can. If the kids are 2 years away, that means you have two years of whatever old-### Santana can give you. #smellbaseball

I was mocking it earlier in this thread...you can't just wait until the kids are good and then grab whatever else you need at that time.

Plus there's always the foolish dream that the youfs produce at a high level right away and some vets are decent. Say Mauer hits .325 again, Arcia/Santana/Dozier all take another jump and Meyer/Buxton/Sano all contribute significantly...and maybe Nolasco is average. It could happen, right?

I know it won't
They make plenty of money and are some of the richest owners in baseball, no reason not to spend some. Plus, as the internet says, $100M payrolls are the new $50M payrolls.

Hey Twins fans, just cut the bull#### and watch Rock Cats games instead this year. Every game where Bryan Buxton gets hurt, the kids all get a free hot dog!

To the minors: Hicks, Rosario, May, Meyer, Tonkin

In the majors: Schafer, Robinson, Milone, Pelfrey

Neat. The Twins will have all of 4 players under 25 on the big league roster. At least they're sticking Pelfrey in the bullpen.

There are six players in the league with a K% greater than 29% and an ISO of under 0.75. The Twins have two - Danny Santana and Kennys Vargas. Santana really going the extra mile managing to not draw a single walk so far this year.

5 win streak and Santana drew his first walk of the season. World Series #####es.

Been playing well of late.

I got an over / under ticket of 74. Not to worried.
Did you take the over or under?

In any case, Im hoping they can hover around .500

Sadly, I think they are just playing bad teams right now. That being said, its nice to beat those bad teams for a change.

Cjw_55106 said:
Been playing well of late.

I got an over / under ticket of 74. Not to worried.
Did you take the over or under?In any case, Im hoping they can hover around .500

Sadly, I think they are just playing bad teams right now. That being said, its nice to beat those bad teams for a change.
Oh come on the over is a lock. !!!

Hunter leads the team in hitting 295, leads the team in rbi's and tied for HR's, and some people though he could not hit 280, best signing in a long time for the twins

Last edited by a moderator:
Mauer has nothing left. What little power he once had is now gone. He's a singles hitter now and not even hitting above .300. If he stops drawing walks he'll be completely worthless.

Nice win tonight after a close loss last night. This Hunter kid has some gas left in the tank

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread