What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Steelers 2012 Thread (1 Viewer)

'Godsbrother said:
Ideally you would like to think that Colon can come back and play OT but I am not sure that you can count on that. They definitely need a OG so getting two starting lineman in the draft is a lot to ask when you also have holes at NT, LB and safety.

I just hope this is the last season we have to deal with Kemoeatu and Essex.
Im at the point where I dont think Colon is worth the risk anymore. He cant stay healthy, and I dont think its the right call to hope he can this year or in the future. I definitely hope Kemo is gone.I dont see how safety is a bigger hole than CB. Everybody, including myself, seems on board with going OG/OT, NT, or ILB in the 1st but I dont think CB should be overlooked either.
Article in the PG today suggesting CB play next year will be better than this year with the continued development of Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen + Curtis Brown entering their 2nd year. Should be three decent young corners there to go with Ike. That also assumes that Willie Gay and McFadden don't come back, I think we'd all agree on those exits being upgrades.Everyone likes Polamalu and Clark at safety but with both in their 30s wouldn't be a bad time to look at a ballhawk there if one fell on our lap.
McFadden leaving is a foregone conclusion to me at this point, but who knows. I think Gay has a good shot at being back and right now, is a better nickel CB than Lewis, Cortez the Killer, and Brown. That said, its not like they would be signing him for only a year or two, so it might be more wise to let him walk and hope one or 2 of the 3 mentioned guys step up.As far as CB prospects for us, maybe that guy Dennard from NEB slips to us, but I know nothing about him (Kiper actually has Dre Kirkpatrick 22, but I dont see how he drops out of the top 10). Janoris Jenkins could be there but I doubt the Steelers would take him for character issues.

If they do go safety, I like Mark Barron from Bama a lot. Real nice ball skills and instincts and great against the run.
17. CB Bryant McFadden ($2.7 mil)

That's 2.7 MIL the Steelers need. He's the team's 5th CB (Behind Ike, K Lewis, C. Brown, C. Allen), and thats not even including Gay (whos a FA).

He's as good as gone. In fact, that may be the very first transaction the Steelers make!

WR Salaries Under Contract for 2012WR Hines Ward ($4.6 mil)WR Arnaz Battle ($1.4 mil)WR Emmanuel Sanders ($735k)WR Antonio Brown ($564k) WR Mike Wallace (Salary TBD - probably $2.562 mil)
I find this fascinating, our #1,#2,#3 right now (Wallace/Brown/Sanders, combined $3.861 mil) will make less than Hines Ward as it currently stands (you have to figure that Wallace will get 1st/3rd tender [$2.562 MIL]).As much as I love Hines in a Steeler uniform, if he isnt willing to make Arnaz Battle money/Veteran Minimum next year (as our #4/#5 WR), then we have to cut bait...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if it was posted but the master will be back. At least one more year of **** LeBeau. :pickle:

WR Salaries Under Contract for 2012

WR Hines Ward ($4.6 mil)

WR Arnaz Battle ($1.4 mil)

WR Emmanuel Sanders ($735k)

WR Antonio Brown ($564k)

WR Mike Wallace (Salary TBD - probably $2.562 mil)
I find this fascinating, our #1,#2,#3 right now (Wallace/Brown/Sanders, combined $3.861 mil) will make less than Hines Ward as it currently stands (you have to figure that Wallace will get 1st/3rd tender [$2.562 MIL]).

As much as I love Hines in a Steeler uniform, if he isnt willing to make Arnaz Battle money/Veteran Minimum next year (as our #4/#5 WR), then we have to cut bait...
I figured the vet minimum was like 750K or something, sheesh. Yeah, I dont want Hines for any more than $1.4ETA: Hard to believe $4.6 makes you the 10th highest paid WR, yet $1.4 is the minimum. In NFL terms, thats not that big of a difference

Not sure if it was posted but the master will be back. At least one more year of **** LeBeau. :pickle:
Yeah but so will Arians. :kicksrock: :sadbanana: :shrug: :crazy: :X :hot: :yucky: :rant: :wall: :thumbdown:
I remember reading somewhere that Arians almost retired after last season and Ben talked him into coming back for another year. The linked article above said that Tomlin wanted both to return but it only said that LeBeau said he would return. Maybe (pray) that Arians doesn't follow his lead.edit to add another link. Oh well.http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_776008.html

Yeah but so will Arians. :kicksrock: :sadbanana: :shrug: :crazy: :X :hot: :yucky: :rant: :wall: :thumbdown:
I remember reading somewhere that Arians almost retired after last season and Ben talked him into coming back for another year. The linked article above said that Tomlin wanted both to return but it only said that LeBeau said he would return. Maybe (pray) that Arians doesn't follow his lead.edit to add another link. Oh well.http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_776008.html
Unless Arians gets a HC job (and that is very unlikely) he is staying put. Prepare for another season filled with bubble screens.

As much as I dislike Arians, at least the players know the system. Familiarity is a good thing. Especially when alot of the players are in their primes.

Familiarity with mediocrity is a good thing? I disagree.

Regardless, Arians won't be going anywhere. He's never even been remotely tapped for a HC gig that I can recall(which should be telling), and if he plays the "retirement card" again it's likely Ben will woo him like a girlfriend again to recant, since Bruce, in a way, enables Ben(with the whole "street football" mentality thing).

With the talent that the Steelers have at the skill positions, including an upper tier QB, this should not be an offense that regularly settles for as many FGs as they do. Even with the subpar OL play it typically gets. And the reason for that is almost wholly laid at the feet of playcalling. Roeth shares in the blame, but a real OC(and not "the QBs buddy") would potentially get him out of his comfort zone a bit and probably make him a better QB.

The Steelers have become too enamoured of trying to throw the "12 point TD." It's a passing league now, and they are a passing team.....but that doesn't mean you have to be a complete ####### about it. If a D is going to allow you to consistently hit 8-10 yard plays and march up and down the field, then take that and march into the EZ. Don't take it for 6-7 plays and then start trying to hit 30-40 yard bombs on three straight plays, take a sack on third down, have to settle for a 49 yard FG and then wonder why you lost a game in which you dominated in total yards.

My biggest problem with Arians as an OC has been the demise of the running game. Obviously much of that has to do with subpar OL play but not all. It sometimes takes patience to develop a rushing attack but Arians has absolutely none, especially if we get down.

Bring back the fullback and commit to running the ball and I would have no problem with Arians but of course if he did that he wouldn't be Bruce Arians would he?

Familiarity with mediocrity is a good thing? I disagree. Regardless, Arians won't be going anywhere. He's never even been remotely tapped for a HC gig that I can recall(which should be telling), and if he plays the "retirement card" again it's likely Ben will woo him like a girlfriend again to recant, since Bruce, in a way, enables Ben(with the whole "street football" mentality thing).With the talent that the Steelers have at the skill positions, including an upper tier QB, this should not be an offense that regularly settles for as many FGs as they do. Even with the subpar OL play it typically gets. And the reason for that is almost wholly laid at the feet of playcalling. Roeth shares in the blame, but a real OC(and not "the QBs buddy") would potentially get him out of his comfort zone a bit and probably make him a better QB.The Steelers have become too enamoured of trying to throw the "12 point TD." It's a passing league now, and they are a passing team.....but that doesn't mean you have to be a complete ####### about it. If a D is going to allow you to consistently hit 8-10 yard plays and march up and down the field, then take that and march into the EZ. Don't take it for 6-7 plays and then start trying to hit 30-40 yard bombs on three straight plays, take a sack on third down, have to settle for a 49 yard FG and then wonder why you lost a game in which you dominated in total yards.
I could see Arians entertaining some college offers, but yeah I think he's staying put.Thing is, I think any criticism leveled at Arians needs to be equally leveled at Ben. Ben not only shares in the blame, but I beleive is equally responsible. For all the complaining we do about Arians and his bubbles screens or lack of creativity in the running game, Ben has 100% autonomy to check into or out of any play at the line. I'd imagine many of the plays we are shaking our head about as predictable or doomed to fail are plays that Ben audibled into based on D formation. Arians is probably shaking his head just as often as we are.I do think Arians could do a better job of designing his plays to fit his players strengths, if I see Mike Wallace run another WR reverse or screen ever again it will be too soon, but Tomlin and Arians have tried to develop Ben into their version of Peyton Manning and make him a true field general. The playcalling falls just as much on Ben's shoulders as it does Bruce's. I want Arians gone so that dynamic can change, not because he's been a poor OC.

Familiarity with mediocrity is a good thing? I disagree. Regardless, Arians won't be going anywhere. He's never even been remotely tapped for a HC gig that I can recall(which should be telling), and if he plays the "retirement card" again it's likely Ben will woo him like a girlfriend again to recant, since Bruce, in a way, enables Ben(with the whole "street football" mentality thing).With the talent that the Steelers have at the skill positions, including an upper tier QB, this should not be an offense that regularly settles for as many FGs as they do. Even with the subpar OL play it typically gets. And the reason for that is almost wholly laid at the feet of playcalling. Roeth shares in the blame, but a real OC(and not "the QBs buddy") would potentially get him out of his comfort zone a bit and probably make him a better QB.The Steelers have become too enamoured of trying to throw the "12 point TD." It's a passing league now, and they are a passing team.....but that doesn't mean you have to be a complete ####### about it. If a D is going to allow you to consistently hit 8-10 yard plays and march up and down the field, then take that and march into the EZ. Don't take it for 6-7 plays and then start trying to hit 30-40 yard bombs on three straight plays, take a sack on third down, have to settle for a 49 yard FG and then wonder why you lost a game in which you dominated in total yards.
I could see Arians entertaining some college offers, but yeah I think he's staying put.Thing is, I think any criticism leveled at Arians needs to be equally leveled at Ben. Ben not only shares in the blame, but I beleive is equally responsible. For all the complaining we do about Arians and his bubbles screens or lack of creativity in the running game, Ben has 100% autonomy to check into or out of any play at the line. I'd imagine many of the plays we are shaking our head about as predictable or doomed to fail are plays that Ben audibled into based on D formation. Arians is probably shaking his head just as often as we are.I do think Arians could do a better job of designing his plays to fit his players strengths, if I see Mike Wallace run another WR reverse or screen ever again it will be too soon, but Tomlin and Arians have tried to develop Ben into their version of Peyton Manning and make him a true field general. The playcalling falls just as much on Ben's shoulders as it does Bruce's. I want Arians gone so that dynamic can change, not because he's been a poor OC.
I think the offense operates better in the hurry up (Ben normally makes the final call on the play during this).

I'd imagine many of the plays we are shaking our head about as predictable or doomed to fail are plays that Ben audibled into based on D formation. Arians is probably shaking his head just as often as we are.
Perhaps, but again, that's another reason for Arians' ouster, IMO. He shouldn't just be shaking his head. He should be corralling/coaching his quarterback. It's part of his job. Get someone in there who isn't "Ben's buddy" that may actually attempt to hold him to some form of accountability. I don't think Bruce does this because he pretty much "digs the long ball." I'd wager he isn't shaking his head that often.I think Arians is an average OC, but a bad caller of games. I'd bet he's probably better at X's and O's than most would give him credit for(his stupid bubble screens aside), but he's a horrid, horrid playcaller/situational adjuster. He's been here, what, 5 or 6 years now? He's not changing.

My biggest problem with Arians as an OC has been the demise of the running game. Obviously much of that has to do with subpar OL play but not all. It sometimes takes patience to develop a rushing attack but Arians has absolutely none, especially if we get down.

Bring back the fullback and commit to running the ball and I would have no problem with Arians but of course if he did that he wouldn't be Bruce Arians would he?
:tebow: :banned: :football:

Ehh, as much as Id like to agree, I think the league has surpassed this. Does GB, NE, NO regularly have a FB in there?Either way, David Johnson has essentially been a FB for a few year for us. Our problem with the running game stems from our subpar OL, not the FB.

Our problem with the running game stems from our subpar OL, not the FB.
I think it suffers from lack of creativity just as much.The Steelers, seemingly, have 3 running plays in their playbook: 1. Dive behind LG/C, 2. Offtackle right with LG pulling, 3. Give-up draw play with Mewelde Moore any time it's 3rd and more than 12.

Ehh, as much as Id like to agree, I think the league has surpassed this. Does GB, NE, NO regularly have a FB in there?Either way, David Johnson has essentially been a FB for a few year for us. Our problem with the running game stems from our subpar OL, not the FB.
GB has John Kuhn (former Steeler BTW) in on alot of situations. New Orleans often has FB Jed Collins in alot.... not sure about NE though, they mostly have Gronkowski back there when they need a fb.

The Ravens have FB Vonta Leach and the Texans have FB Lawrence Vickers. Both of these teams seem to run the ball pretty well.

Ed: Which Free Agents Stay, Go

Thursday, 12 January 2012 15:11

Written by Ed Bouchette

Here is the Steelers list of free agents of various kinds. Who do you sign, who do you try to sign, who do you let go into free agency and maybe sign later, who do you ignore completely? There will be others not kept who are not on this list.

My ideas on what might happen to each:

UFA:

Charlie Batch -- With Byron Leftwich No. 2, he'll either be No. 3 at minimum wage or they'll find a younger No. 3.

Jerricho Cotchery -- Steelers want him, but no more than No. 4 so he will sign elsewhere.

Dennis Dixon -- He will leave

Trai Essex -- He will leave

William Gay -- He will leave

Chris Hoke -- He will retire

Byron Leftwich -- He will re-sign as No. 2.

Anthony Madison -- Ignore

Mewelde Moore -- Ignore

Daniel Sepulveda -- Let him go through free agency, maybe sign him in summe.

Max Starks -- ACL injury hurts his cause; may return.

RFA:

Ramon Foster -- Tender

David Johnson -- Tender

Doug Legursky -- Tender

Keenan Lewis -- Tender or sign to 3-year deal.

Jamon Meredith -- Ignore

Ryan Mundy -- Tender

Mike Wallace -- Tender

Exclusive Rights:

Jeremy Kapinos -- Tender

Steve McLendon -- Tender

Isaac Redman -- Tender

I'd imagine many of the plays we are shaking our head about as predictable or doomed to fail are plays that Ben audibled into based on D formation. Arians is probably shaking his head just as often as we are.
Perhaps, but again, that's another reason for Arians' ouster, IMO. He shouldn't just be shaking his head. He should be corralling/coaching his quarterback. It's part of his job. Get someone in there who isn't "Ben's buddy" that may actually attempt to hold him to some form of accountability. I don't think Bruce does this because he pretty much "digs the long ball." I'd wager he isn't shaking his head that often.I think Arians is an average OC, but a bad caller of games. I'd bet he's probably better at X's and O's than most would give him credit for(his stupid bubble screens aside), but he's a horrid, horrid playcaller/situational adjuster. He's been here, what, 5 or 6 years now? He's not changing.
Generally agree.I might rephrase to say that neither Ben nor Arians are changing. I agree the enabling needs to change to see if Ben has any further room to develop. I'm not sure he does.

The Ravens have FB Vonta Leach and the Texans have FB Lawrence Vickers. Both of these teams seem to run the ball pretty well.
HOU has the best OL in the league, BAL probably isnt too far off. Not to mention Rice and Foster are more talented backs than Mendy/Redman

Ed: Which Free Agents Stay, Go Thursday, 12 January 2012 15:11 Written by Ed Bouchette Here is the Steelers list of free agents of various kinds. Who do you sign, who do you try to sign, who do you let go into free agency and maybe sign later, who do you ignore completely? There will be others not kept who are not on this list.My ideas on what might happen to each:
I think I agree with his thoughts on every single player, except maybe Gay. Im not so sure other team(s) will give him a good enough offer where he wouldnt want to re-sign with the Steelers.That said, Im more interested to see who they cut or restructure/renegotiate. Most of the FA calls are pretty cut and dry.

HOU has the best OL in the league, BAL probably isnt too far off. Not to mention Rice and Foster are more talented backs than Mendy/Redman
Just pointing out that there are good rushing teams that still employ a FB. Obviously the Steelers o-line needs to get better but I think a real FB would be an improvement over David Johnson.

Just pointing out that there are good rushing teams that still employ a FB. Obviously the Steelers o-line needs to get better but I think a real FB would be an improvement over David Johnson.
Agreed.

From Scout.comBy Jim WexellPublisher SteelCityInsder.net

Posted Jan 13, 2012

With the 2011 season in the books, it's time to break down the Pittsburgh Steelers' roster. We'll move along alphabetically and make it a 5-parter. Here's A through C:

1. Cortez Allen, CB – Right now, he just might be THE rookie on the team. At the very least the fourth-round pick showed no flaws and is even being mentioned as a possible starter at LCB in 2012. In 2011 he played well, made his meetings, and except for the occasional 'yes, sir', 'no, sir,' kept his mouth shut. A punt gunner, Allen was fourth on special teams with 8 tackles and took snaps in the secondary in 9 games. He even covered Rob Gronkowski and knocked the big tight end backward, a yard shy of the sticks in the win over New England.

2. Will Allen, S – The No. 4 safety enters the final year of a contract that will pay him $1.28 million this season. The minimum wage for a rookie is $375,000, so that's what the Steelers will look at when they're calculating the cost of veteran depth here. Allen played only seven mop-up snaps on defense in 2011, but was third on special teams with 9 tackles.

3. Baron Batch, RB – This rookie was the talk of the first week of camp because of his blocking. Only in Pittsburgh. But he tore an ACL on Aug. 10 and the seventh-round pick never got an opportunity to play in a backfield that was rife with injuries all season. Batch will probably dip his toe back in the water in May, with much work awaiting him at training camp as Rashard Mendenhall rehabilitates. Batch will be one of five legitimate candidates vying for the two or three spots behind Mendenhall and Isaac Redman.

4. Charlie Batch, QB – Is a free agent who'd love to re-sign. Just turned 37 but showed no signs of age in any of his four appearances this season. Was the starter in the 27-0 win over the St. Louis Rams. A high minimum salary of $925,000 could prove troublesome.

5. Arnaz Battle, WR – Entering the final year of a contract that will pay him $1.04 million at the age of 32, Allen appeared in only the opener at WR and made only 4 tackles on special teams, where he was unit captain. Missed 4½ games with a hamstring injury and returned but did not play in three of the final four games. He played in the playoffs but did not make a tackle. Candidate to be cut before March 13 fiscal new year.

6. Antonio Brown, WR – Not much more to be said about the player teammates voted as their MVP. No one doubts he'll work just as hard this offseason.

7. Curtis Brown, CB – Rookie third-round pick missed the final three games with a knee injury, but still finished as the tackles (15) leader on special teams. He didn't see the field on defense, but played so well on special teams that Tomlin gushed at one press conference about his potential at cornerback. Should begin taking snaps in sub-packages next season.

8. Corbin Bryant, DE – An undrafted rookie, Bryant opened the season on the practice squad before being signed to the active roster to replace Aaron Smith. He played five snaps on defense in Arizona, but was put back on the practice squad the next week. Bryant didn't get the call when Chris Hoke went down 10 days later.

9. Chris Carter, OLB – No. 4 OLB was inactive for eight games with a hamstring injury before finally going on IR before the playoffs. That surely didn't impress Tomlin, who hasn't been giving a free ride to the young linebackers. Carter has a burst, but made only one tackle on special teams. Important offseason for the fifth-round rookie.

10. Miguel Chavis, TE – Really not sure if he's a tight end or a defensive end or a linebacker. They tried to find a place for the undrafted rookie but he was eventually waived/injured during camp and remains on the team's IR list.

11. Erik Clanton, ILB – At least I remember Chavis. This undrafted rookie out of The Citadel was released Aug. 4 and remains on the team's IR list, and I was surprised to read all of this.

12. Ryan Clark, FS – Should've noticed the team's general disrespect for Tebow when Clark told me Ryan Mundy would be fine as his replacement because Denver couldn't throw the ball. Those weren't Clark's exact words, but close. And the game proved a.) the cardinal sin of disrespect filtered down to the players and b.) Clark was missed. But would the Steelers try to save money by making Mundy the starter? Well, that would require a veteran backup, so add the Will Allen contract to the rookie minimum contract as the replacement cost for Clark. It's probably not enough savings to justify taking a $750,000 cap hit in prorated bonus money.

13. John Clay, RB – Undrafted rookie went from walking off the field in training camp to carrying the ball in the playoffs. Former was a misunderstanding; latter was due to four injuries to players at his position. He rushed for 41 yards (4.1) in the final two regular-season games and was 1 for 1 in the playoff game. That will help him in his battle to make the team next year, but he'll have to put in the work. The competition will be hot.

14. Willie Colon, OT – Signed a 5-year deal and promptly tore his right triceps in the opener. This occurred on the heels of a torn Achilles' tendon that wiped out his entire 2010 season. Colon is scheduled to earn a whopping $5.375 million salary in 2012, but can't be cut because an additional three years of prorated bonus money ($3.6 million) would hit the cap. Will likely open camp as the first-team right tackle.

15. Jerricho Cotchery, WR – A free agent, Cotchery was quiet about his future plans but was not quiet about his admiration for the organization. Was very comfortable in the locker room, as Ben Roethlisberger and the receivers took him in and made him feel welcome. The rumor was that Roethlisberger bugged the coaching staff to get Cotchery more playing time. Is all of that enough for him to consider staying with the team as a No. 3 or 4 receiver? At a team-affordable salary? He'll likely test the market first.

16. Damon Cromartie-Smith, S – The No. 5 safety could take Will Allen's roster spot this season. A member of the practice squad for a second consecutive season, Cromartie-Smith was added to the active roster on Dec. 8, even though none of the safeties were injured. Cromartie-Smithplayed special teams the final four games and made

'JoeSteeler said:
Colon is scheduled to earn a whopping $5.375 million salary in 2012, but can't be cut because an additional three years of prorated bonus money ($3.6 million) would hit the cap.
Ugh. I was wondering if this was the case. So Starks is likely out and we're looking at Gilbert-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Colon as the starting OL right now, pending draft/FA/UDFA.

'JoeSteeler said:
Colon is scheduled to earn a whopping $5.375 million salary in 2012, but can't be cut because an additional three years of prorated bonus money ($3.6 million) would hit the cap.
Ugh. I was wondering if this was the case. So Starks is likely out and we're looking at Gilbert-Legursky-Pouncey-Foster-Colon as the starting OL right now, pending draft/FA/UDFA.
:goodposting: Yep, this is exactly the projected line I posted last week.
Yeah, lets keep drafting good pass blocking OL, that way once they are ready to play, Ben will have retired and we'll have a rookie QB in there that can't throw anyways.They need OL that can play NOW.
Pouncey - Pro Bowl year 1Gilbert - starter year 1Glenn, DeCastro, and a couple of others can play now as well. I'd rather spend higher draft picks on OL and let them learn on the job than spend big bucks on other team's cast-offs. I mean, filling one spot with a guy that fits the offense (a la Hartings) is fine, but I don't agree with looking elsewhere in the draft and trying to sign multiple veteran o-linemen.
This is basically what they've been doing for the past how many years though? Only substitute a few names. Draft 2 or 3, one pans out somewhat. Grab a FA, he fills in admirably, rinse repeat.Ben will have a very short career.
The difference is that the two guys I named above were top 60 picks, most of the ones that didn't pan out were 3rd-6th round choices. It's not that surprising that many of them didn't get the job done. They actually did still get some mileage out of guys like Colon, Starks, Kemo, Legursky, Foster, etc... none of whom was taken before the 3rd round, and a few taken off the scrap heap. Considering that 4 of our top 6 o-lineman in this past Sunday's game were among that group, it stands to reason that investing some more high draft picks in the line is a lot more likely to produce more high-quality performers.
Steelers 2011 OL (How Acquired, Rd Drafted)T Max Starks (2004 Draft [FLORIDA], 3rd RD)T Jonathon Scott (2010 FA [TEXAS], 5th RD via DET {2006})T Marcus Gilbert (2011 Draft [FLORIDA], 2nd RD)T Willie Colon (2006 Draft [HOFSTRA], 4th RD)C Maurkice Pouncey (2010 Draft [FLORIDA], 1st RD)G/C Doug Legursky (2007 UDFA [MARSHALL])G Chris Kemoeatu (2005 Draft [uTAH], 6th RD)G/T Jamon Meredith (2011 FA [sOUTH CAROLINA], 5th RD via GB {2009})G Ramon Foster (2009 UDFA [TENNESSEE])G/T/C Trai Essex (2005 Draft [NORTHWESTERN], 3rd RD)Players Drafted by Round1st RD: 12nd RD: 13rd RD: 24th RD: 15th RD: 26th RD: 17th RD: 0UDFA: 2Only 2 players acquired by FA (not including Trai Essex and Max Starks this year)
So using this info, if we dont sign/draft anyone this is our anticipated starting OL (Starks/Essex are FA's).LT: Marcus GilbertLG: Doug LegurskyC: Maurkice PounceyRG: Ramon FosterRT: Willie Colon....Yeah.. you can mix around who you want at the T positions (or if you want Kemoeatu at guard) but we better be drafting some OL up in here!

Probably just wasting my time looking for this since we know the Steelers will draft a lineman but looking at mocks I see both Alfonzo Dennard from Nebraska near our spot with the hope the Bears or Lions don't go for him as well. Janoris Jenkins from Northern Alabama is next and might be available but not all that sure about his man to man cover reading reports.

But like I said they will just do what they always do and hope Clark and Polamalu bail them out of trouble again.

Probably just wasting my time looking for this since we know the Steelers will draft a lineman but looking at mocks I see both Alfonzo Dennard from Nebraska near our spot with the hope the Bears or Lions don't go for him as well. Janoris Jenkins from Northern Alabama is next and might be available but not all that sure about his man to man cover reading reports. But like I said they will just do what they always do and hope Clark and Polamalu bail them out of trouble again.
I don't have a problem with a top CB but the Steelers needs at OG, NT, ILB and S are just as pressing. As long as they quality players at any of these positions I will be happy.

Probably just wasting my time looking for this since we know the Steelers will draft a lineman but looking at mocks I see both Alfonzo Dennard from Nebraska near our spot with the hope the Bears or Lions don't go for him as well. Janoris Jenkins from Northern Alabama is next and might be available but not all that sure about his man to man cover reading reports. But like I said they will just do what they always do and hope Clark and Polamalu bail them out of trouble again.
I don't have a problem with a top CB but the Steelers needs at OG, NT, ILB and S are just as pressing. As long as they quality players at any of these positions I will be happy.
Yep, when it comes to the Steelers draft, "Trust in Colbert"

Yep, when it comes to the Steelers draft, "Trust in Colbert"
Well, at least for the first round :P

I brought up both guys as potential options last week. I dont really know anything about Dennard and dont recall him standing out in the few NEB games I saw (possibly a good thing), but I highly doubt they take Florida castoff, Jenkins, because of the character issues.I might rather have Mark Barron than either anyway.

'JoeSteeler said:
Well, that sucks. I thought Colon would be a sure cut, but I guess not. Why would they give this guy such a long contract and bonus structure with his injury??? Arguably worse than the huge contract they gave Starks 4 or 5 years ago.

'JoeSteeler said:

Posted Jan 13, 2012

With the 2011 season in the books, it's time to break down the Pittsburgh Steelers' roster. We'll move along alphabetically and make it a 5-parter. Here's A through C:

1. Cortez Allen, CB – Right now, he just might be THE rookie on the team. At the very least the fourth-round pick showed no flaws and is even being mentioned as a possible starter at LCB in 2012. In 2011 he played well, made his meetings, and except for the occasional 'yes, sir', 'no, sir,' kept his mouth shut. A punt gunner, Allen was fourth on special teams with 8 tackles and took snaps in the secondary in 9 games. He even covered Rob Gronkowski and knocked the big tight end backward, a yard shy of the sticks in the win over New England.

2. Will Allen, S – The No. 4 safety enters the final year of a contract that will pay him $1.28 million this season. The minimum wage for a rookie is $375,000, so that's what the Steelers will look at when they're calculating the cost of veteran depth here. Allen played only seven mop-up snaps on defense in 2011, but was third on special teams with 9 tackles.

5. Arnaz Battle, WR – Entering the final year of a contract that will pay him $1.04 million at the age of 32, Allen appeared in only the opener at WR and made only 4 tackles on special teams, where he was unit captain. Missed 4½ games with a hamstring injury and returned but did not play in three of the final four games. He played in the playoffs but did not make a tackle. Candidate to be cut before March 13 fiscal new year.

7. Curtis Brown, CB – Rookie third-round pick missed the final three games with a knee injury, but still finished as the tackles (15) leader on special teams. He didn't see the field on defense, but played so well on special teams that Tomlin gushed at one press conference about his potential at cornerback. Should begin taking snaps in sub-packages next season.

12. Ryan Clark, FS – Should've noticed the team's general disrespect for Tebow when Clark told me Ryan Mundy would be fine as his replacement because Denver couldn't throw the ball. Those weren't Clark's exact words, but close. And the game proved a.) the cardinal sin of disrespect filtered down to the players and b.) Clark was missed. But would the Steelers try to save money by making Mundy the starter? Well, that would require a veteran backup, so add the Will Allen contract to the rookie minimum contract as the replacement cost for Clark. It's probably not enough savings to justify taking a $750,000 cap hit in prorated bonus money.

Is he seriously talking about cutting Clark or am I reading that wrong? WTF. Im not even interested to consider his opinions on the rest of the team if thats the case.Based on this info, Battle and Will Allen are must-cuts IMO.

Curtis Brown really stood out on ST, cant remember the last guy we had on coverage do that to me. Loved the pick when we made it, hopefully he carries it over to CB.

With how raw Cortez the Killer was supposed to be when we drafted him less than a year ago, I really like what he's shown thus far. Hopefully he turns into the AB of the defense, ie a 2nd half of the draft guy who has a standout 2nd year.

'JoeSteeler said:

Posted Jan 13, 2012

Is he seriously talking about cutting Clark or am I reading that wrong? WTF. Im not even interested to consider his opinions on the rest of the team if thats the case.Based on this info, Battle and Will Allen are must-cuts IMO.

Curtis Brown really stood out on ST, cant remember the last guy we had on coverage do that to me. Loved the pick when we made it, hopefully he carries it over to CB.

With how raw Cortez the Killer was supposed to be when we drafted him less than a year ago, I really like what he's shown thus far. Hopefully he turns into the AB of the defense, ie a 2nd half of the draft guy who has a standout 2nd year.
Jim Wexell is an idiot IMHO.

'Kenny Powers said:
'JoeSteeler said:

Posted Jan 13, 2012

Battle has been a great special teams player throughout his career. I think this year can probably be written off because of the injury. If Ward is cut, I think you probably keep him around.

By Jim WexellPublisher SteelCityInsider.net

Posted Jan 17, 2012

17. Dennis Dixon, QB An unrestricted free agent who figures to fly the coup. He turned 27 a few days ago and would like to position himself to play some day soon. It doesn't look as if that will happen here after peaking as Ben Roethlisberger's fill-in during 2010's suspension. Dixon started in wins over Atlanta and Tennessee but a minor knee injury precipitated a telling move to IR. The next decision was the low RFA tender on which no one bit. Could come back as a No. 3 at minimum wage if no one bites again this spring, but someone will take a chance on a cheap, athletic reclamation project.

18. Jonathan Dwyer, RB Surely, surely, no one will need to tell Jonathan to come to training camp in shape this time. A repeat performance of last summer would kill him in the competition with John Clay and Baron Batch for the final two spots in the backfield.

19. Trai Essex, OL Here's a guy who can legitimately play five positions. He added center this past season and played it well enough to be brought back as a reserve. He's an unrestricted free agent who didn't draw much interest last year when he was free, so cost shouldn't be a problem.

20. James Farrior, ILB Just turned 37 and wants to come back for the last year of his contract. But his snap count and performance dipped precipitously this past season. In a 2-1 rotation with Larry Foote, Farrior's snap count fell by 21 percent. Farrior's performance also slipped, particularly at the end of the season. In his favor are the continued admiration of his defensive coordinator and a relatively low 2012 salary of $2.825 million. Plus, he made a comeback from a sub-par season once before.

21. Larry Foote, ILB Turns 32 in June and enters the final year of his contract with a $3 million salary. His snap count more than doubled from 2010, and his play was comparable to that of Farrior's. Foote is the only other player on the team capable of running the buck position, so it's difficult to predict which of the two will return. Which will agree to come at a cheaper price?

22. Ramon Foster Last season's starting right guard ran second team to start the season, but regained his spot in the fourth game when Doug Legursky was injured. When Legursky returned, the Steelers kept Foster in place and he only missed a handful of series the rest of the way. Perhaps they've settled on their right guard of the future. Ben Roethlisberger has supported Foster throughout, so perhaps the team will offer the restricted free agent the second-round tender (that would return a second-round pick if he signs with another team). The other option is to offer him the low tender without any return if he signs elsewhere. The difference in tenders is $500,000.

23. William Gay, CB An unrestricted free agent with three hungry and talented young players behind him means it's time for Gay to move on. I don't understand this talk of moving him to free safety. I'm not sure where it came from, but I doubt the Rooneys will pay that kind of money to find out.

24. Marcus Gilbert, OT Team's rookie-of-the-year "has issues," according to one teammate. But after being benched for missing a meeting, Gilbert returned to the lineup and finished the season without incident. He seems like a good teammate to me, but I'm on the outside. On the field, Gilbert drew raves for his run blocking from OC Bruce Arians, who claimed it was much better than that of predecessor Flozell Adams. But rarely did Gilbert collapse his half of the line as Adams. Unless the Steelers strike draft gold in April, Gilbert will be moved to left tackle with the return of Willie Colon to RT. But that does carry a risk for a young player who appeared to be more comfortable at right tackle.

25. Tyler Grisham, WR Signing with Denver doesn't appear to be a well-timed move by Tyler. Roster spots will be opening up in front of him here as his practice-squad eligibility expires. (Hey, maybe the Steelers plan to pursue Jerricho Cotchery and keep Hines Ward and pointed that out to Grisham in his exit interview … ?)

26. Casey Hampton, NT My numbers tell me his salary will be $4.89 million this season. So, without the big guy needing knee surgery, he should be A.) wanted by the Steelers, and B.) agreeable to cutting his salary, or at least restructuring and extending it. I don't believe they need to cut veterans particularly an effective NT for the sake of rushing younger players. Steve McLendon will get enough work.

27. James Harrison, OLB Is James around? Is he reading? OK, so I can say this: The guy looked a little flabby in the locker room this season. Now, before he kills me, I only say this because it's a good thing. There's no chance of James continuing his slothful ways. I'll assume his injuries took big bites out of his workout regimen and that next season we'll see the Harrison of old. The only worry: Harrison is old. He'll turn 34 in May and I don't buy that "young 34" stuff about him because he didn't play in his first two pro seasons.

28. Cameron Heyward, DE If you think Heyward will wash out based on his rookie-year stats (9 tackles, 6 QB pressures, 2 passes defensed, 1 sack, 1 blocked field goal), please remember Aaron Smith's rookie-year stats (1 tackle, 1 pass defensed). No, all signs point to Heyward moving upward and onward with the perfect body for a Steelers defensive end and the perfect attitude for the thankless job. The Steelers would like to see a little more "nasty" in Heyward (as discussed here), but no one I've talked to doubts his bright future.

29. Chris Hoke, NT At 36 years old on April 6, rehabbing a neck injury, and with an expired contract, it would appear that Hokie's ride is over. And what a ride it was. While starting in place of Hampton, Hoke's Steelers went 17-1 in regular-season games (1-1 playoffs). He'll be remembered for more than that, though.

30. Ziggy Hood, DE Don't understand the predicted move to NT by one respected writer in town. After this season, Hood's ability to hold the point as a defensive end is coming under scrutiny. How will he be expected to hold the nose on run downs? Regardless, Hood's performance slipped from his uneven sophomore season and it would become a concern if not for his exceptional work ethic. I look for the light to come on next season.

31. Mortty Ivy, LB Here's your longshot to play buck linebacker some day. Needs more time, of course, to learn the most difficult defensive position, but until then he can make the team with his versatility and physical nature and some good luck on draft

Rooney: Steelers face "tough" salary cap decisions

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers must make some "tough decisions" in the coming weeks as they tackle what club president Art Rooney said is "probably as big an issue as we've had to face" regarding the salary cap.

The Steelers are about $25 million over a salary cap expected to be around $124 million per team next season and must erase that excess by March 13. That obviously could involve some of their older and more recognized players but Rooney would not speculate on whether certain players, such as Hines Ward and James Farrior, would return in 2012.

"We're just at the beginning of the process,'' Rooney said.

He did say he has talked already to Ward about his future and plans to speak again with him and to others in the organization about his status for next season.

However, Rooney emphasized that it's "not a situation where we're looking to tear things apart and start over.''

"Obviously, we have some decisions to make with certain players and their contracts,'' Rooney said.

Rooney, in a candid 30-minute interview this afternoon, touched on a number of subjects, some of which have not been broached previously.

Among them:

-- Ben Roethlisberger needs to take fewer sacks as he turns 30.

-- He expects his father, Dan Rooney, to step down as ambassador to Ireland and return to the Steelers organization in some capacity in 2012, although he does not have a specific date.

-- No question, Rooney said, that wide receiver Mike Wallace "will be one of the priorities" this year. Wallace becomes a restricted free agent March 13.

-- The Steelers will add 3,000 seats to Heinz Field after the 2012 season. They will be in the open end zone, where the temporary seats were installed for the Penguins' Winter Classic.

-- Rooney said that a few coaches also are considering retirement, but would not say which ones.

-- He called the Steelers' 29-23 loss on the first play of overtime in the wildcard playoff game at Denver "the worst ending to a playoff game" he has experienced. He said, however, that injuries were not to blame.

-- "We didn't reach our ultimate goal,'' Rooney said. "But on the other side, there are positive things we can take out of it.'' Among those: A good mix of younger players and older players, including younger players they signed to long-term deals last year that they hope to become a new core for the future.

-- As for some of the negatives: "We need to take fewer sacks,'' need to be more consistent on offense, need to do better than No. 21 in scoring, need to come up with more sacks and turnovers on defense.

"Those are areas we want to try to be better at next year,'' Rooney said.

-- He thought Mike Tomlin and his coaches "did a good job,'' especially because of the lockout that put "more pressure" on the coaching staff.

First published on January 17, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12017/1204097-100.stm#ixzz1jkfO87yW

31. Mortty Ivy, LB – Here's your longshot to play buck linebacker some day. Needs more time, of course, to learn the most difficult defensive position, but until then he can make the team with his versatility and physical nature – and some good luck on draft
Forgot about this guy, liked him a lot in the preseason. Cut at least 1 of Foote or Farrior, if not both, for Ivy.

Steelers coordinator Bruce Arians might not return in 2012 - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers coaching staff could undergo its first major change in the Mike Tomlin era because offensive coordinator Bruce Arians might not return in 2012, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

Arians, 57, is in the final year of his contract with the Steelers, and it is unclear if he is retiring -- something he considered last year -- or not having his contract renewed.

Arians has been the offensive coordinator since Tomlin became head coach in 2007. He was told last week by Tomlin that he would return in 2012, and Tomlin even indicated as much in a press conference one day after the Steelers' playoff loss in Denver.

However, team president Art Rooney II indicated on Tuesday that some members of the coaching staff were considering retirement.

Arians considered retiring after the 2010 season because of health problems and other issues. He even skipped attending the NFL combine in February while he mulled his decision.

Steelers coordinator Bruce Arians might not return in 2012 - Pittsburgh Post-GazetteThe Steelers coaching staff could undergo its first major change in the Mike Tomlin era because offensive coordinator Bruce Arians might not return in 2012, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.Arians, 57, is in the final year of his contract with the Steelers, and it is unclear if he is retiring -- something he considered last year -- or not having his contract renewed.Arians has been the offensive coordinator since Tomlin became head coach in 2007. He was told last week by Tomlin that he would return in 2012, and Tomlin even indicated as much in a press conference one day after the Steelers' playoff loss in Denver.However, team president Art Rooney II indicated on Tuesday that some members of the coaching staff were considering retirement.Arians considered retiring after the 2010 season because of health problems and other issues. He even skipped attending the NFL combine in February while he mulled his decision.
:unsure: ... :excited: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:

Steelers coordinator Bruce Arians might not return in 2012 - Pittsburgh Post-GazetteThe Steelers coaching staff could undergo its first major change in the Mike Tomlin era because offensive coordinator Bruce Arians might not return in 2012, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.Arians, 57, is in the final year of his contract with the Steelers, and it is unclear if he is retiring -- something he considered last year -- or not having his contract renewed.Arians has been the offensive coordinator since Tomlin became head coach in 2007. He was told last week by Tomlin that he would return in 2012, and Tomlin even indicated as much in a press conference one day after the Steelers' playoff loss in Denver.However, team president Art Rooney II indicated on Tuesday that some members of the coaching staff were considering retirement.Arians considered retiring after the 2010 season because of health problems and other issues. He even skipped attending the NFL combine in February while he mulled his decision.
:unsure: ... :excited: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:
If Arians leaves, Internally I'd expect Randy Fichtner (QB Coach) to get named or externally they'd probably go after ... that's right, ex-Colts HC Jim Caldwell to step in as OC.

Absent the comment of Art Rooney II I would say this is pure speculation on the part of the Post Gazette. However taken with Rooney's comments it makes me think that maybe Arians will retire. Assuming Arians does step down who would you like to take over as OC? Would the Steelers promote Randy Fichtner or look outside the organization? For some reason I don't think it would be Jim Caldwell but maybe Rooney's desire to see Ben take less sacks (ala Peyton Manning) maybe the Steelers would bringing him in. If not the list might include Jim Zorn, Mike Sullivan, Tom Clements, Mike Shula or Joe Lombardi.Anyone else they might consider?

Users who are viewing this thread