What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Steelers 2012 Thread (3 Viewers)

Per Schefter & La Canfora, Steelers plan to release Aaron Smith in the coming days

Last edited by a moderator:
@ScottBrown_Trib: Steelers to release Aaron Smith. His agent, Peter Schaffer, says Smith has no hard feelings and that he "bleeds black and gold."

@ScottBrown_Trib: Schaffer: "No one ever wants this day to come but we're not focused on that. We're focused on the last 14 years."

I find that tough to believe since they went out of their way to get him 1000 catches. :shrug:
He was already on the team at that point though. Bouchette was intimating that some on the coaching staff, including the HC, didn't want him to brought back at all for '11.

In a day filled with doom and gloom with Ward, Smith, and probably Farrior gone thank god some sunshine with Kemoeatu released. Although it pretty much confirms that n OL is getting drafted first

@EdBouchette: #steelers create about $9.7 M in cap room in two days: Chris K 3.6. Aaron Smith 2.1, Hines Ward 4, less their replacements on top 51

@jimwexell: According to SCI capologist Ian Whetstone, Steelers about $10-11M under cap: Can afford draft picks, RFA tenders, insurance vs. offer to MW.

I know the Steelers needed to make these moves, but this is tough to read. Smith, Farrior, Ward - these guys were cornerstones of an almost-dynastic team. Replacing their (current) talent is easier than replacing the leadership, work ethic, attitude that these guys bring to the facility every day.

I certainly want to keep Wallace, but there are worse things in the world I can think of than the 2012 Steelers lining up with Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery as WR1/2/3.

:banned: to Hines. It's been a lot of fun. :towelwave:
:towelwave: into the sunset for Hines. The man truly bleeds Black n Gold.That said, I really liked Cotchery last season and felt he was under utilized. Did I miss him signing with the Steelers for 2012? :FingersCrossed:
No, but I sure hope I'm not going out on a limb in thinking that if they lost Hines AND Wallace that they'd make sure they kept Cotch around.
Just making sure I didn't miss anything. Cotch is a good complimentary receiver. Sure handed too other than one notable drop. He could have showed more if the team wasn't trying to get Hines to 1k.

In a day filled with doom and gloom with Ward, Smith, and probably Farrior gone thank god some sunshine with Kemoeatu released. Although it pretty much confirms that n OL is getting drafted first
As much as I'd like to believe this....I don't.
I'm sure it will depend on who's there. At this point, who is on the opening day starting line?Gilbert - Foster - Pouncey - Legursky - Colon

A guy who hasn't played in almost two years, two guys who have spent most of their careers as backups, a 2nd year player starting at an entirely new position and one all-Star. No continuity from last year, it could be ugly.

I know the Steelers needed to make these moves, but this is tough to read. Smith, Farrior, Ward - these guys were cornerstones of an almost-dynastic team. Replacing their (current) talent is easier than replacing the leadership, work ethic, attitude that these guys bring to the facility every day.
Agree completely. If the Steelers kind of tail off in wins this year, I will attribute it to lack of leadership, etc..., the things you mention, rather than talent.

Agreed. A team can't go into the draft locked into one position. If the value isn't there or better value somewhere else is available, you have to go that route.That said, it sure would be sweet if a premium OT or G falls to Pittsburgh.

Agree completely. If the Steelers kind of tail off in wins this year, I will attribute it to lack of leadership, etc..., the things you mention, rather than talent.
There is still plenty of leadership on the team but I agree it is tough seeing all of these players that were such a big part of the Steelers success move on.

Agreed. A team can't go into the draft locked into one position. If the value isn't there or better value somewhere else is available, you have to go that route.That said, it sure would be sweet if a premium OT or G falls to Pittsburgh.
I think they're pretty locked in to NT or ILB.

There is still plenty of leadership on the team but I agree it is tough seeing all of these players that were such a big part of the Steelers success move on.
Sure there is some leadership left, but when you lose you defensive captain, special teams captain, and what many considered the heart and soul of the team, among quite a few others, that's gonna leave a mark.It's gonna look like a very different team. Lots of cohesiveness and familiarity gone.

Not sure I'm going to know any players next year :unsure:

Agree, it had to be done but it does "hurt" a little seeing everyone go

Sure there is some leadership left, but when you lose you defensive captain, special teams captain, and what many considered the heart and soul of the team, among quite a few others, that's gonna leave a mark.It's gonna look like a very different team. Lots of cohesiveness and familiarity gone.
Agreed. It wouldn't surprise me to see at least one of these guys back at a reduced rate.

'Idiot Boxer said:
'Grid71 said:
'Idiot Boxer said:
'hammerva said:
I think they're pretty locked in to NT or ILB.
I think they're going to have a pool of guys with 1st round grades at positions they're looking to draft. It may be a pool like : DeCastro, Glenn, Reiff, Kirkpatrick or Jenkins(if they haven't been taken off their board entirely), Kuechly, Hightower, Irvin, Poe, Floyd, etc.. etc... and they'll take whoever grades highest that hasn't been snapped up.

'Evilgrin 72 said:
Same could have been said about Greg Lloyd, Levon Kirkland, Rod Woodson (who should have stayed) Fanaca, and Joey Porter etc. at the time. But the Steelers rebuilt and moved on.

'Copeman said:
'Evilgrin 72 said:
And the fact we have a new OC

'Evilgrin 72 said:
Same could have been said about Greg Lloyd, Levon Kirkland, Rod Woodson (who should have stayed) Fanaca, and Joey Porter etc. at the time. But the Steelers rebuilt and moved on.
Oh, I know, it's just never easy to see those veterans cut, guys who have been part of the fabric of the franchise for so long.

(Brett Keisel via Facebook)

Steeler Nation, we can all use some good news about now, right? From Marcus Gilbert: "Coach Wilson looks great, walking and still smiling like always! Should be out soon!"

I hate the Steelers but not that I live in PA have lots of friends that are Steelers fans and I respect the organization. The Steelers are going to look very different this year. The kind of leadership that just walked out the door is tough to replace. They will be good this year but it will be different. The Patriots have won lots of games since 2007 but didnt return to the Super Bowl until this year. Losing Tedy Bruschi, Rodney Harrison, Willie McGinest, Joe Andruzzi and other stalwarts has been tough for the Patriots. The Steelers will probably win plenty of games this year but it might be a couple of years until they return to the status as a true SB contender.

Cordy Glenn had a great combine yesterday. Pair that with a very good senior bowl week, and he might be gone by 24 :mellow:Mike Adams also had a bad combine. 19 reps? And they were saying its easier for short armed guys like him and harder for a long armed guy like Glenn (who had 31)...I think Im ready to cross Adams off my want list.
From Bloom's Bulldog Pro Day round up
Offensive lineman Cordy Glenn solidified his first-round grade with an impressive set of drills, and Pauline had an interesting report on his possible destination There's a feeling in the scouting community Glenn is headed into the top half of round one, possibly to the Dallas Cowboys.This is higher than most of the media expects Glenn to go, so expect him to move up in mock drafts in the next few weeks.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1091976-pro-day-tracker-2012-nfl-draft-news-from-georgia-and-minnesotas-pro-day

Cordy Glenn had a great combine yesterday. Pair that with a very good senior bowl week, and he might be gone by 24 :mellow:Mike Adams also had a bad combine. 19 reps? And they were saying its easier for short armed guys like him and harder for a long armed guy like Glenn (who had 31)...I think Im ready to cross Adams off my want list.
Offensive lineman Cordy Glenn solidified his first-round grade with an impressive set of drills, and Pauline had an interesting report on his possible destination There's a feeling in the scouting community Glenn is headed into the top half of round one, possibly to the Dallas Cowboys.This is higher than most of the media expects Glenn to go, so expect him to move up in mock drafts in the next few weeks.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1091976-pro-day-tracker-2012-nfl-draft-news-from-georgia-and-minnesotas-pro-day
I think that we're going to be looking at Hightower because Poe and Glenn will be off the board by the time we pick

'The Hank said:
'Fiddles said:
I think that we're going to be looking at Hightower because Poe and Glenn will be off the board by the time we pick
Yup, and it might be a good thing because I think Hightower is by far the least likely to be a bust or underachiever of the 3.And those 3 are my clear top 3 wishes for the draft, so its not like Im not high on Poe and Glenn.

Hightower looks slow to me in the videos. He doesn't deliver with a ton of pop either.

Im not saying he is a bad player, because he *wraps up very well (which may be perfect for us), is *willing to hit the hole to get after the carrier and has *tremndous size.

But he doesnt chase much down and isnt very fluid in drop back coverage - something Farrior (and even a guy like Kirkland) did very well until he got old.

I realize his 265# frame and 4.69 forty time are very impressive, but it doesn't show a lot.

:shrug:

I like Hightower and have got to see a decent amount of his games. He's a really good player, who has been well coached, with a very high floor.

He also probably has a pretty low ceiling.

That isn't a bad thing, necessarily, and I won't snuff at them taking him in round one if that's how things break. He's worth the pick, fills a glaring need and will probably be a pretty good starter for whomever drafts him for a while. That said, I won't weep like a little girl if they decided to go a different route either, because I'm not sure he'll ever be a "game changer" at the NFL level.

As a late first though, it'd be hard to complain much about Hightower even with his deficiencies in coverage(Unless, of course, there was cleary some difference maker available that they passed on to take him).

'5-ish Finkle said:
I like Hightower and have got to see a decent amount of his games. He's a really good player, who has been well coached, with a very high floor.

He also probably has a pretty low ceiling.

That isn't a bad thing, necessarily, and I won't snuff at them taking him in round one if that's how things break. He's worth the pick, fills a glaring need and will probably be a pretty good starter for whomever drafts him for a while. That said, I won't weep like a little girl if they decided to go a different route either, because I'm not sure he'll ever be a "game changer" at the NFL level.

As a late first though, it'd be hard to complain much about Hightower even with his deficiencies in coverage(Unless, of course, there was cleary some difference maker available that they passed on to take him).
How many 3-4 ILB's in the NFL are game changers?!

How many 3-4 ILB's in the NFL are game changers?!
Hence why I won't shed any tears if they decide to wait until the second round to go after a LB. I'm sure you've heard of Patrick Willis though. And Ray Lewis. And even Timmons to a degree.

Users who are viewing this thread