What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Geno Smith, SEA (1 Viewer)

Sounds like Goff or Tannehill type money without the additional guaranteed year(s) those guys had. Seattle has a ton of cap space, coming off a good draft, with lots of draft capital coming up in April.

Seems like a no brainer re-sign. And between this signing and Carr it feels like the mediocre to good QB market is actually in a bit of correction.

What’s he worth in SF?

This probably cools the jets on a little of the ARich/Seahawks murmurs. Or does it? 🤔
I don't think it would impact their interest in Richardson. Have not seen structure of the deal yet but I'm willing to bet it's basically a 1-2 year commitment and Geno will only see that third year if in a year or two from now Seattle wants to do it. So you could easily make the point that works perfectly with drafting a QB who needs to sit at least a year.

I still think if they like Richardson and have the option of picking him at 5 whether they do or not will depend on if they can pass an Anderson, Carter or Wilson.

I still think if they like Richardson and have the option of picking him at 5 whether they do or not will depend on if they can pass an Anderson, Carter or Wilson.
5 feels high. I mean, it could happen. But if Anderson or Wilson are there, that feels like much more of a Pete Carroll move. He’s not a young man - Seahawks were competitive last year. I could see them taking defense and kicking the QB can down the road.

John Schneider plays heavy into the 1.5 decision and he apparently was especially enthralled with Mahomes and Josh Allen. There is a rumor that Seattle attempted to trade Wilson in 2018 to Cleveland to draft Allen at 1.1.

I'm not a college FB guru but kind of feels like Allen is a good comparable for strengths and weaknesses to Richardson?

I also think that Hawks brass have a ton of confidence their system can make their type of QB successful.

Last edited:

NFL Network's Mike Garofolo reports Geno Smith's three-year contract extension includes $40 million guaranteed.

Smith, per Garofolo, will make $28 million in the first year of the new deal, with $75 million over three seasons. He'll have $30 million in incentives. Smith on Monday agreed to the extension after his impressive 2022 season. He threw for 4,282 yards, 30 touchdowns, and led the Seahawks to a wildcard berth in 2022. Entering his age-33 season, Smith seems to have a locked-in starting job for at least 2023. He could be a longer term option if the Seahawks pass on a quarterback in the first round of the 2023 draft.
SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Mar 7, 2023 at 9:56 AM ET

big winner last night, not sure if smoke or fire on them drafting AR, personally thought was more smoke but either way, they pass on QB and then draft what most thought top wr. Smith-Njigba, Lockett and DK, hard to top those 3 wr.

big winner last night, not sure if smoke or fire on them drafting AR, personally thought was more smoke but either way, they pass on QB and then draft what most thought top wr. Smith-Njigba, Lockett and DK, not sure there's top 3 that can top that.
Yeah, but

-Pete still wants to run the ball
-If defense is better, you will see less passing than last year despite the new weapon. Last years heavy passing volume was out of necessity.

Last years FF numbers for Smith just seem fluky to me, but maybe I am missing the boat

big winner last night, not sure if smoke or fire on them drafting AR, personally thought was more smoke but either way, they pass on QB and then draft what most thought top wr. Smith-Njigba, Lockett and DK, not sure there's top 3 that can top that.
Yeah, but

-If defense is better, you will see less passing than last year despite the new weapon. Last years heavy passing volume was out of necessity.

Last years FF numbers for Smith just seem fluky to me, but maybe I am missing the boat
They seem fluky because they are when in comparison to his career.
I do think his numbers drop for the reasons you said, but a repeat or even better wouldn’t completely shock me.
Geno wasn’t terrible with the Jets. Many times he showed flashes of talent, strong arm, some mobility. He just made too many dumb mistakes and to be honest his Jets career only came to an end because a linebacker broke his jaw in the locker room and then Fitzmagic happened. I’ve been pulling for him.

For fantasy he’s not going to win you weeks really but if injuries hit he likely won’t lose you weeks either.

Yeah, but

They seem fluky because they are when in comparison to his career.
I do think his numbers drop for the reasons you said, but a repeat or even better wouldn’t completely shock me.
Geno wasn’t terrible with the Jets. Many times he showed flashes of talent, strong arm, some mobility. He just made too many dumb mistakes and to be honest his Jets career only came to an end because a linebacker broke his jaw in the locker room and then Fitzmagic happened. I’ve been pulling for him.

For fantasy he’s not going to win you weeks really but if injuries hit he likely won’t lose you weeks either.
I actually won a championship with the Geno/Brady combo in my 16 teamer last year. He was excellent in an otherwise not so great QB year. But I have low faith in a repeat so I moved him and a late 1st for Dak. Plus, the whole Seahawk thing made it hard to root for him to do well.

Been spending a lot of time evaluating the QB position as we get near draft season. I only play big money redrafts so that is my perspective.

I keep coming back to Geno.

Seattle D didn't get much better. They have no pass rush and didn't to much to fix the run D. Seattle will still have to throw. Geno has always flashed, but dealt with unfortunate timing until getting the reigns last year. I don't see fluky patterns in his game. They just drafted a WR that comfortably outplayed Chris Olave and Garret Wilson in their only season together. Geno will be throwing to wide open targets all year. They don't have the O-line/Defense to ground and pound - Charbonnet is a hell of a receiver as well.

All that said, I think if drafting and the QB position doesn't present value by the time Herbert/Fields go and maybe Trevor Lawrence I think you just wait till last couple rd's and grab Geno. Although I think Geno is a WAY better value than T-Law and I could make an easy case for him to have more production. I keep scrubbing this whole thing and he just makes more sense the longer I look. What am I missing?

TL;DR Finished QB 5, they drafted the best WR in the class, and the D didn't make any major improvements.

i am suspicious of geno and keep thinking about his last season being the year before FA. reminds me of the 2015 fitzpatrick season for the jets. he flashed like he was better than he is and we all thought for a moment maybe he was, but he wasn’t. i am not banking my season on a geno repeat.

i am suspicious of geno and keep thinking about his last season being the year before FA. reminds me of the 2015 fitzpatrick season for the jets. he flashed like he was better than he is and we all thought for a moment maybe he was, but he wasn’t. i am not banking my season on a geno repeat.
I go back and forth, kind of agreeing that it could have been Geno's only good season, but boy those WRs are pretty, pretty good. So my stance is basically all outcomes are on the table for Geno (super brave take.)

I go back and forth, kind of agreeing that it could have been Geno's only good season, but boy those WRs are pretty, pretty good. So my stance is basically all outcomes are on the table for Geno (super brave take.)
And 2 very talented RB as well. And a decent TE.

Seattle has built a really good offense, which I hate to admit.

I think my boldness with Geno has a lot more to do with his supporting cast than me being convinced he is elite. This from an offensive skill position standpoint I don't think any team in the league has 3 better WR+TE with 2 very good RB. All he has to be is good, not great to drastically outperform his ADP. From my POV and all the QB metrics last year - he is at least good.

I think my boldness with Geno has a lot more to do with his supporting cast than me being convinced he is elite. This from an offensive skill position standpoint I don't think any team in the league has 3 better WR+TE with 2 very good RB. All he has to be is good, not great to drastically outperform his ADP.
and I don't think the defense is very good so it's likely they will need to score to win.

Geno's biggest enemy is Pete Carroll...dude loves to run the ball. There is a narrative that they would have passed the ball more if they had better personnel, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Geno's biggest enemy is Pete Carroll...dude loves to run the ball. There is a narrative that they would have passed the ball more if they had better personnel, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Geno was 9th in passing attempts and 8th in passing yardage last season. I don't see the concern.
And they drafted the top WR with their first pick! This narrative that coaches can't adapt to their roster is sleepy. When your o-line and defense sucks, and you have the best WR room in the NFL you throw the damn ball if you want to win.

Geno was 9th in passing attempts and 8th in passing yardage last season. I don't see the concern.
And they drafted the top WR with their first pick! This narrative that coaches can't adapt to their roster is sleepy. When your o-line and defense sucks, and you have the best WR room in the NFL you throw the damn ball if you want to win.
Agree. I think it also seems to be some carry over from the whole "let russ cook" phenomenon. But feels like people are ignoring Russ's performance last year. It completely opens the door to the fact maybe Pete wasn't emphasizing the run for a few season there because it was how he wanted to run the offense; as much as it may have also been influenced by Russ's decline and inability to perform at the level he wanted.

That aside, yeah, if they hadn't already been the top 10 in passing numbers last season I could see mildly more concern. But they were. And there's nothing to make us believe they won't be again, especially after investing highly in another WR weapon like you said.

In 2022, Seattle had the 13th highest passing percentage in the league (59.35%) - it seems it may have been Russ holding back the passing attack and not Pete.

Dak is available and i should drop Geno for him, but it doesn't feel right. My head says do it, but my groin says no. I mean it doesn't get much better than metcalf lockett JSN

Dak is available and i should drop Geno for him, but it doesn't feel right. My head says do it, but my groin says no. I mean it doesn't get much better than metcalf lockett JSN
Deciding your backups between those two? I'd be even more inclined to lean Geno if that's the case. Feels like a safer bet should your starter go down.

Seems to me that after Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, Jackson, & Burrow, there are a lot of guys that could finish #6. Geno has as good a chance as any of them. Sure I'd take Fields, Lawrence, Herbert over him right now, but I'm not convinced they'll finish any better than Geno does.

Lamb, Cooks, Gallup and Tolbert + Pollard, Vaughn and Cowboys OL isn't shabby either. No name TE Ferguson also looked great this preseason.

Can you find roster spots for both of them? Might be good for not just depth, but to play matchups weekly.

anyone watch the game see what happened to Geno today? got off to a good start and then looks like threw for about 5 yards in the last 2 and 1/2 quarters. Was he bad or was LA defense that good?

anyone watch the game see what happened to Geno today? got off to a good start and then looks like threw for about 5 yards in the last 2 and 1/2 quarters. Was he bad or was LA defense that good?
Both.

The Rams pass rush and D-line looked very strong, but there were also several drops, and Geno seemed to be going through his reads and reacting to the rush slow.
Because of the camera angle it was hard to tell if the receivers were well covered or the play was slow to develop, but I also feel it was a failure in play calling to a certain extent?

Lockett got hit hard and came out for concussion tests.

The whole Seattle team melted down. At one point DK shoved a rams DB to the ground between plays, I was surprised he wasn't ejected.

The defense was on the field the whole second half and must have been gassed.

Just everything that could go wrong did.

Geno Smith completed 16-of-26 passes for 112 yards and a touchdown pass in the Seahawks’ 30-13 Week 1 loss to the Rams.

Smith had a solid first half before falling apart in the final two frames. Seattle scored all 13 of their points on their first three drives and a missed field goal cost them three more points on the fourth drive. Then, just after halftime, both of Smith’s starting tackles, Charles Cross and Abraham Lucas, left the game with injuries. Neither player returned and the pressure was quickly turned up on Geno. The Rams brought him down for a pair of sacks on the Seahawks’ final full drive of the game and the increased pressure seemingly stifled his rhythm even when he was getting passes off. Though the statuses of his tackles are currently unknown, a game-plan that attempts to hide Seattle’s injuries on the offensive line should help Smith rebound versus the Lions in Week 2.

- Rotoworld

Should I trade Geno or D Watson in Dunasty?

D Watson is the better player but I feel like Stafanski’ is QB poison. Not sure how much career rope the NFL is going to give to a serial sex offender either. Still, Watson was so good in Texas.

So, is he back to a pumpkin? Bengals D looks pretty improved. 4 catches for Metcalf on 10 targets, yuck.
I dont think he is dropable ( depending) I think he is a fine qb2 with upside to turn this around. He STILL has the same weapons as he had last year. I know a qb2 isnt what most of us drafted him to be but its a long season.

So, is he back to a pumpkin? Bengals D looks pretty improved. 4 catches for Metcalf on 10 targets, yuck.
I dont think he is dropable ( depending) I think he is a fine qb2 with upside to turn this around. He STILL has the same weapons as he had last year. I know a qb2 isnt what most of us drafted him to be but its a long season.
I own Metcalf so was watching what I could on Red Zone.

A bunch of missed balls and everything coming out of Geno seemed high… including an endzone target that he sailed well above Metcalf. He was definitely feeling the pressure from the defense as well.

I own Metcalf so was watching what I could on Red Zone.

A bunch of missed balls and everything coming out of Geno seemed high… including an endzone target that he sailed well above Metcalf. He was definitely feeling the pressure from the defense as well.
Yeah he hasnt looked good. Ive got Geno and Anthony Richardson and have had to make a trade for a qb ( Goff)....Hope Geno can turn this around.

Users who are viewing this thread