What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

After the water station at the halfway mark I had a serious inner-battle, quit and know it wasn't your day, or try and suffer through it. I chose the latter because I couldn't live with myself if I would've quit. I went to some awful place during miles 13-20. I imagined Hang10 and Gruced saying, "we told you so." I thought about Juxt and his recent marathon. I thought about Nugget and his PR mile. But honestly, most of all, I thought about what Duck must have went through. I also realized my struggles were do to my inexperience of running. I don't know my body well enough to hold a pace without my watch. I think this is mainly due to my incredibly inconsistent running. Some days I can run at 7:30 pace in my aerobic zone for 13-15 miles and others I can't sniff 7:30 without approaching my LT.
Great report, and way to gut it out (pun intended).  This thread sure is great for some extrinsic motivation when you need a little extra, isn't it?  Congrats again, that's a really solid marathon debut, particularly with the struggles you encountered.

Next time, more rice.  For my first 100M I made up two sheet pans worth of homemade blueberry chocolate and coconut rice cakes . They were delicious and amazing, and my crew carried those things through the Siskyou Mountains of southern Oregon for 31 hours.  And I think I ate two of them - one for breakfast and one at the first aid station.  

Hey @JShare87 enjoy your vacation and I wish you a great recovery. I am impressed with your tenacity and perspective (rice joke got me).   You've got new kicks to train in so we know you'll be back  

Congrats on battling through the training and sharing along the way. I am glad you made it to WA physically ready. Congrats on pushing through a tough day to achieve a major accomplishment. ???

Hey @JShare87 enjoy your vacation and I wish you a great recovery. I am impressed with your tenacity and perspective (rice joke got me).   You've got new kicks to train in so we know you'll be back  

Congrats on battling through the training and sharing along the way. I am glad you made it to WA physically ready. Congrats on pushing through a tough day to achieve a major accomplishment. ???
I enjoyed your new kicks comment. Actually signed up for a 5K next Saturday with a buddy of mine I'm trying to get into running. I'll see how the body is feeling. I can't back out but may just run at his pace and enjoy not being in pain for 20 minutes.

I enjoyed your new kicks comment. Actually signed up for a 5K next Saturday with a buddy of mine I'm trying to get into running. I'll see how the body is feeling. I can't back out but may just run at his pace and enjoy not being in pain for 20 minutes.
@JShare87 - just know that you those mental battles you had in the last few miles.  That's the marathon.  It breaks you down physically and mentally.  I've done 9 marathons and each one has at least one moment where I consider quitting.  The fact you continued on and nailed a 3:39 is really impressive. 

More importantly, do NOT race that 5K.  That is a recipe for disaster.  Your body from your feet to your hips are weakened.  Big time. Even in a few days, you'll start to feel better, but underlying all of that are weakened muscles and tendons.....they have lots of little tears in them from your marathon.  If you race or push on that 5K, you are asking for an injury.  Seriously. 

My general rule of thumb is however many miles you race, you should not do any hard workouts that many days.  So no hard workouts for 26 days.  Let your body recover.  If you don't, you could derail your running for months and months.  Please listen to me. 

those 20 minutes mean a lot less than the damage you can cause by racing.  Have fun with your buddy, but like @SteelCurtain wrote DO NOT RACE. 

those 20 minutes mean a lot less than the damage you can cause by racing.  Have fun with your buddy, but like @SteelCurtain wrote DO NOT RACE. 
Just to tag team on this, I wouldn't even run this 5K at marathon pace. Not sure how quick your friend is, but I don't think you should be running any faster than 9 minute miles and given the weather conditions you typically face 10 minute miles is probably smarter. It should be a recovery effort. 

Just to tag team on this, I wouldn't even run this 5K at marathon pace. Not sure how quick your friend is, but I don't think you should be running any faster than 9 minute miles and given the weather conditions you typically face 10 minute miles is probably smarter. It should be a recovery effort. 
this is true.  in my mind I'm envisioning a pace like I would run with my 9yo son, just barely sub 30 for the 5k.

I've ran faster a week or less after a marathon and been fine.  What I would not do is put myself in a situation where I would even think about pushing the pace beyond whatever felt easy that day and wouldn't stop if I felt the need.  Be mentally prepared to stop in the middle of the 5k or walk with the grandmas.

I finally feel like I'm back in a running routine after a lot of days off due to sloth and injury.  I've run the last 10 days in a row.

I feel out of shape though.  I managed a 51 mile week averaging 7.6 mph, 144 avg. heart rate.  Compare that to, for example, last March when I averaged 8.0/130.  I was thinking about running the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon on November 4 but I'm doubting I'll have enough time to train right.  

Yeah.  Run at my pace  :P

I finally feel like I'm back in a running routine after a lot of days off due to sloth and injury.  I've run the last 10 days in a row.

I feel out of shape though.  I managed a 51 mile week averaging 7.6 mph, 144 avg. heart rate.  Compare that to, for example, last March when I averaged 8.0/130.  I was thinking about running the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon on November 4 but I'm doubting I'll have enough time to train right.  
It's good to have you back!

It's great you're back in your routine again!  With your deep base, I have no doubt the aerobic conditioning will come back quickly.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Fart. 

Took a week off to let some lingering Calf pain reset. Then I went for an easy run today with no problems. 90 minutes later... Bink, Bink, Bink. Multiple muscle tears (or something like that) in the calf. 

#vent 

Juxtatarot said:

You, me and @pbm107 need to do the same marathon this fall. Looks like we are all targeting November. :thumbup:

Brony said:
Fart. 

Took a week off to let some lingering Calf pain reset. Then I went for an easy run today with no problems. 90 minutes later... Bink, Bink, Bink. Multiple muscle tears (or something like that) in the calf. 

#vent 
:kicksrock:

And @JShare87, I wouldn't rule out the 5K myself, but I say that knowing my own recovery period (which is generally quite quick).  As others say, don't even think about pushing a "5K" pace.  Make it a fun run at best and enjoy the less stressful race environment.

:kicksrock:

And @JShare87, I wouldn't rule out the 5K myself, but I say that knowing my own recovery period (which is generally quite quick).  As others say, don't even think about pushing a "5K" pace.  Make it a fun run at best and enjoy the less stressful race environment.
Thanks for the advice again, everyone. My body feels great considering I just ran a downhill marathon yesterday. The quads are a little sore but nothing crazy. I'll see how I feel for the 5K and go from there. 

9 weeks out from my marathon, and weight is down to 221 and change.  If I can drop another 1-1.5 pounds/week between now and race day, I'll be right where I want to be.

Solid week of training as I just focus right now on consistent mileage and sprinkle in a little speed here and there.

M - rest

T- 14 at 8:23/145 (make-up for missed long run previous weekend)

W - 5 recovery 8:53/135

T - 11 at 8:03/149

F - rest

S- 16 at 8:21/142

S - 4 at 8:06/135

Wasn't planning on running yesterday, but I got a Strava notification on Saturday that some jackhole stole my CR on a local hill.  So I went out and sprinted up that summ##### last night.  Literally ran nice and easy to the hill, stopped and cued up my music, sprinted up, and then stopped to catch my breath.  New CR by 10 seconds!

Is it sad that I'm excited about the SI in Cleveland being in the 140s while I'm there? :oldunsure:  
After more than a week without rain looks like we may have saved scattered afternoon thunderstorms just for your visit.  Want you to feel like you're at home!

After more than a week without rain looks like we may have saved scattered afternoon thunderstorms just for your visit.  Want you to feel like you're at home!
Lol.  Freaking pouring here with this TS just churning out there.  Afternoon tstorms are just fine with me.  As long as nothing impacts my Indians game Thursday night, I will be quite content.

Today was ridiculous. SI in the 120's. Ran and did legs yesterday so wanted to take it easy this morning...keep my HR in the 140's. My legs didn't want to go slow. 5 miles at 7:47 @ 143. 69% of my max!  :shock:  I almost don't trust my watch my HR was so low. 

Last 7 days avg pace 7:52(150). I'm ready for some new PR's!  :drive:

After several months of slow, but steady gains in mileage I took a noticeable jump in July – as planned – finishing with 205 miles (172 in June).  I continued my trend of increasing elevation, after setting a new high in June of 7,604’ I clipped 8K in July (8,068’).  The first one was the plan and the second was a bi-product of focusing more workouts on hills, but I had some pleasant surprises too - gaining strength despite the focus on mileage and a lot more quality runs too.  Expecting to maintain consistency in the weight room and increase miles, I had no aspirations for many quality workouts – just volume.  But I kept feeling well enough before and during runs to audible on the fly - no tempo/HMP runs, but several vO2’s and impromptu progression’s.  Notably, Monday 7/17’s run – I looked down about 2 miles in and saw 7 flat then looked down part way through mile 3 and saw 6’s, so I adjusted on the fly – finishing with miles of 6:43/6:26/5:58/5:43* for an 8.8 mile run in one hour even (6:45 net).  While this was a great workout I was actually more encouraged by what I did with the rest of the week as it showed my recovery is getting better and better.  I noted my net pacing (8:05) just for s’s and g’s, but given what I did this month there really isn’t anything to read into it – 6 double stroller runs, 5 hybrids, and 1 long one in the mini Duck-like woods.  If anything I should be happy I’m that close to 8!

For August?  The shift to quality begins next week.  This may be my last week of 3 strength training workouts, but race week withstanding I will ensure I maintain at least 2x per week.  I want to ensure 200 miles remains the new normal, but whether I’m at 200.1 or 230 means far less to me than nailing key workouts.  I have a couple of benchmarks set and if I hit them unless weather dictates otherwise I’m going to get ready for a half mid-September.  I’m confident that I’ll best last year’s 1:25+, but don’t really have a good guess by how much.  I think that’s a good thing though.  I perform better when I just go instead of thinking.

Just signed up for Strava and requested access to the group.  Is there a way to sync Nike Running app with Strava or would I need to manually enter my runs this summer (thankfully I wouldn't have many).

Just signed up for Strava and requested access to the group.  Is there a way to sync Nike Running app with Strava or would I need to manually enter my runs this summer (thankfully I wouldn't have many).
Pretty sure nike syncs with strava. You using an app on your phone?

Pretty sure nike syncs with strava. You using an app on your phone?
iWatch.  My attempts to figure out have been unsuccessful and google search makes it seem like it's not possible.  Not a huge deal - I probably have like 15-20 runs in total on there I would want to transfer.

iWatch.  My attempts to figure out have been unsuccessful and google search makes it seem like it's not possible.  Not a huge deal - I probably have like 15-20 runs in total on there I would want to transfer.
Not sure if it'll help, but I listen to music through my phone on my runs.  I just run the strava app through my phone too.

Not sure if it'll help, but I listen to music through my phone on my runs.  I just run the strava app through my phone too.
I don't know how you guys run with your phones.  I always use an iPod Nano....and I'm REALLY pissed that Apple is going to stop making them.   :rant:

Strava has a stand-alone Watch app for the Apple Watch. Also, Gruced, you can upload about 250 songs on it so you don't need a phone or iPod. 

I don't know how you guys run with your phones.  I always use an iPod Nano....and I'm REALLY pissed that Apple is going to stop making them.   :rant:
I used to have an arm band for the phone and before that I ran with an iPod nano too.  I hated the initial adjustment from the iPod to the phone, but it's just so much easier to have my music stored with amazon prime and have the ability to access it everywhere. The problem now is the new phones are too big for the arm band.  It was awkward carrying it at first, but like the iPod to phone adjustment you get used to it - not much different than carrying a handheld water bottle.  The one thing that's really helped - I've turned off all notifications.  More reasons than just running related (more productive when that thing doesn't ping all the damn time), but because of that I don't even think of it as a phone when I'm running.  I queue up my music, start strava, then go.  If I need to watch text messages or email for any reason I'll check periodically on slower or longer runs, but for the most part I never look at anything besides my music or strava and even that's pretty sporadic.  Phone calls interrupt on occasion but thankfully most people don't use phones for calling anymore, so that doesn't happen too often.

Having ####'d around with cassette walkmen, ipod's, CD players (ooof!), flash MP3 players, armbands and other stuff over the years, I'm at my most content point with running & music.  I currently run with runners belt (OK, fanny pack) that is around my mid section and not visible under my shirt. My Nexus 6 fits comfortably in there and doesn't bounce at all and within 50 feet I don't even know it's there. 

After 8 to 10 headphone attempts, I've finally discovered that having a wired earbud connection with an vol +/- and pause button and with a wire clip to my shirt is best set-up for me.  I've tried bluetooth earpieces and can't stand the controls and the feeling of the wire around the neck.  YMMV

I use Spotify playlists for music and Strava app for tracking.  

Tempo day, so with temps in the 80s and given my body's intolerance for running fast in the heat, I took to the treadmill:

1.5 up, 2.5 at 6:44, 2-min jog, 2.5 at 6:40, 1.25 down 

Speed is slowly but surely coming along. Left hammy has been a bit sore, so I'm trying not to press my luck too far....

2017 YTD

Distance 1,673.0 mi

Time 235h 58m

Elev Gain 49,744 ft

June

May: 
Distance    300.7 miles 
Time    41 hours
Elev Gain   11,427 ft

Including the last 9 days of March, that's 1009.1 miles in 100 days :topcat: :help:
Big drop as expected in July but I did cross 3,000km for the year.

2017 YTD

Distance 1,865.0 mi

Time 263h 45m

Elev Gain 59,478 ft

So 192m, 27 hrs, just under 10,000' for the month

But I did finally start riding, 11.5 hrs, 225 miles, 6732'

Users who are viewing this thread