What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rhamondre Stevenson, NE (1 Viewer)

Trying to decide between Chris Moore at 1 PM versus RS at 4 PM. I also have Rachaad White at 4 PM so could pivot to him if RS is out.

I'm expecting RS to play, but can't be sure he will finish the game.
White would be an easy decision for me.

I don't have any great options, its either roll with RS or go with Kevin Harris, which might even be a coin flip

Officially active

Rhamondre Stevenson (ankle) is active for Week 15 against the Raiders.​

It was touch-and-go for Stevenson on the short week, but he ended up being ready before Damien Harris (thigh), who still isn't ready after going down in Week 12. Perhaps Stevenson will cede more work than usual to Pierre Strong and Kevin Harris, but we would still trust him to see RB2-level workloads, and perhaps even his standard RB1 handles. Joining Harris on the shelf are CB Jack Jones, DT Sam Roberts, S Joshuah Bledsoe, CB Jalen Mills and WR DeVante Parker.
Dec 18, 2022, 2:36 PM ET

Ive currently got Latavius Murray in over RS..... I and my opponent have3 considerable amount of players either already played or playing now. I will reevalouate after the 1 pm games.... Murraywill stay in my lineup if it looks like I am doing well and if I amlosingI will take a chance on RS.....
Welp.....Im getting my *** handed to me by the worst team in the playoffs as the #1 seed....by zay freakin Jones no less.......RS has now entered my lineup. This game can be so infuriating at times.

Looks like RS may be used on passing downs but not as much running the ball. NE already behind, so all may not be lost.

Rhamondre Stevenson rushed 19 times for 172 yards and a touchdown in the Patriots' Week 15 loss to the Raiders.​

Absent for the Patriots' opening series, it was unclear what Stevenson's involvement might be. He then emerged to set a new career high for rushing yards by 11. Stevenson was tearing through small seams, including on his 34-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. It should have been a triumphant effort, but Stevenson's ill-fated lateral to Jakobi Meyers with the score tied 24-24 and the clock reading 0:00 set in motion one of the worst losses in NFL history. That is going to be difficult for coach Bill Belichick to swallow, but it is hard to bury Stevenson for the emotional decision. Clearly able to navigate through his ankle issue, Stevenson will return to the RB1 mix for Week 15 against the Bengals.
Dec 18, 2022, 7:47 PM ET

Almost single-handedly handed the game away
I'm thinking that maybe Jacoby Meyer had just a bit more culpability in that. I mean I guess you can argue "if not for...then..." - but he made a safe toss thinking perhaps Meyer could advance the ball to the end-zone (which was probably not a good idea) - Meyer was the one who panicked and made the truly bone-head decision.

:wub:

Single-handedly kept me alive this week - I still have a shot at the 1-seed thanks to him.
Almost single-handedly handed the game away at the end to the Las Vegas Raiders instead of falling forward into Overtime
Hope Bill Belichick doesn't hold a grudge next week
You seem to have misspelled Jakobi Meyer. (Which ironically I probably actually misspelled)

Stevenson’s lateral was safe and successful.

Meyer throwing it backwards to a member of the Raiders single-handedly gave the game away.

I'm thinking that maybe Jacoby Meyer had just a bit more culpability in that. I mean I guess you can argue "if not for...then..." - but he made a safe toss thinking perhaps Meyer could advance the ball to the end-zone (which was probably not a good idea) - Meyer was the one who panicked and made the truly bone-head decision.
I just posted in the game thread that the offense was all on the same page for the last play. They were told to run a draw, go down, and regroup in OT. There was no discussion about any laterals, and no one on offense expected (or was in position) to be in position to deal with laterals. So sure, Meyers was dumb to throw the lateral to Jones, but Stevenson was instructed to go as far as he could and then go down.

You are entitled to frame it that way but I think the pitch was done almost blindly to Meyer, very risky especially when you are just trying to run a draw and go to overtime, RS abilities to break tackles cost him on this one.

I agree Meyer totally boneheaded move, even more egregious one can argue.
How about the OC calling anything other than taking a knee?
There's plenty to go around

I just posted in the game thread that the offense was all on the same page for the last play. They were told to run a draw, go down, and regroup in OT. There was no discussion about any laterals, and no one on offense expected (or was in position) to be in position to deal with laterals. So sure, Meyers was dumb to throw the lateral to Jones, but Stevenson was instructed to go as far as he could and then go down.
Yeah, I specifically said "which was probably not a good idea" - was that unclear?

His toss was to a player two yards behind him, and while ill advised, it wasn't an idiotic toss. Meyers tried to toss about 15 yards back and across the field to a guy that is slightly more mobile than a statue - where was Jones going even if the toss to him was perfect.

You are entitled to frame it that way but I think the pitch was done almost blindly to Meyer, very risky especially when you are just trying to run a draw and go to overtime, RS abilities to break tackles cost him on this one.

I agree Meyer totally boneheaded move, even more egregious one can argue.
How about the OC calling anything other than taking a knee?
There's plenty to go around
I don't have a problem with NE running a play in that situation. Throw the ball downfield, throw it short or behind the receiver, get a gift DPI penalty, and kick a FG to win. They were 55 yards from the end zone. Even a Hail Mary would have been ok (a defender would have had to come down clean with the ball and gone 100 yards for a TD . . . or Jones would have had to been strip sacked).

What you don't want to do is run the ball back towards of the LOS with 9 other guys in front of the ball and then put the ball up for grabs. At that point, there is no upside whatsoever. Even if Chandler Jones didn't come up with the football, and say it got back to Mac Jones, then what? Now Mac has 11 guys to beat, 50+ yards to travel, and no one to block for him. That's a great plan.

Yeah, I specifically said "which was probably not a good idea" - was that unclear?

His toss was to a player two yards behind him, and while ill advised, it wasn't an idiotic toss. Meyers tried to toss about 15 yards back and across the field to a guy that is slightly more mobile than a statue - where was Jones going even if the toss to him was perfect.
My point was no one on the offense had any inclination a lateral was coming, and RS was specially told to go down and head to OT. That's why a lot of the burden falls on him. None of the NE players knew that was coming, and once RS ran by them, they weren't all in tune with what was happening on the play (they were expecting RS to go down and go to OT).

His lateral wasn't exactly "safe," as he drops it backwards over the head of a defender (and there 4 defenders in on the play). Meyers can't go anywhere except backwards (there's a giant pile of players directly in front of him, the sideline right next to him, and a defender coming at him). When Meyers curls to go backwards, the NE players that were out of the play all pass him on the field. Literally the only NE player he could lateral the ball to was Mac Jones. Obviously throwing the ball back to Mac was idiotic, but if Stevenson did what he was told, Meyers doesn't cough up the football. On top of that, there wasn't any upside to getting the ball to Meyers, he couldn't score from where he was once he got the football.

It might have been different if Stevenson was 30 yards further downfield and the last guy to beat was tackling him and he flipped it to Meyers, who had a clear path to the end zone. Where the play actually occurred, like Stevenson, Meyers had no place to go and was hemmed in. Once the ball and players start going backwards and forwards, anything can happen, so Meyers' best bet was to just run out of bounds. The other potential issue is Meyers got levelled right after he made the lateral. Had he figured out that throwing the ball to Jones was a bonehead play, holding onto the ball instead could have been equally as bad. Maxx Crosby CRUSHES Meyers (look at the replay) as he gets rid of it. Jakobi would have been hard pressed to hold on to the football in that spot. There were 4 Raiders in the vicinity, so a scoop and score would have been a very possible outcome.

After the game, even Stevenson admitted he should have done what the coaches asked of him, and the last play would never have happened if he put two hands on the football and went down (or had run out of bounds).

After the game, even Stevenson admitted he should have done what the coaches asked of him, and the last play would never have happened if he put two hands on the football and went down (or had run out of bounds).
Yes, I said the only argument that all of he burden for the loss falls on Stevenson would be the "if not for...then" theory - if you think that his actual decision to lateral was worse than Meyers' decision to lateral, we'll just agree to disagree. I'm not going to discuss it anymore because it was pretty obvious to most who actually cost the Pats the game.

Yes, I said the only argument that all of he burden for the loss falls on Stevenson would be the "if not for...then" theory - if you think that his actual decision to lateral was worse than Meyers' decision to lateral, we'll just agree to disagree. I'm not going to discuss it anymore because it was pretty obvious to most who actually cost the Pats the game.
Well said.

Meyers can't go anywhere except backwards (there's a giant pile of players directly in front of him, the sideline right next to him, and a defender coming at him).
So….time was expired. Step out. Go to OT.

Why is the sideline being next to him any defense of his actions?

Then the instruction would have just been “take a knee”. Because the defense was back. No way would Rhamondre have taken it to the house. So why run a play at all?
That’s what I was saying in the game topic.

There’s 3 seconds and no TO’s. Take a knee. Play OT. This ain’t rocket surgery here.

Meyers can't go anywhere except backwards (there's a giant pile of players directly in front of him, the sideline right next to him, and a defender coming at him).

Meyers being pinned up against the sideline was more reason why Stevenson should have just kept the ball to himself in the first place. RS didn't produce the fatal flaw on the play, but Stevenson took the game from 100% going to OT to a non-zero chance they could lose in regulation. But by getting rid of the football, he didn't give them any real chance of winning on that play . . . Meyers was DOA when he caught the lateral. Couldn't go forward, couldn't go back inside, and couldn't go out of bounds (if the intent was to keep the play alive). His only option was going backwards (which obviously had no upside whatsoever). By that point, the burden seemingly shifted from Stevenson just going down to Meyers deciding he needed to go down. Neither guy should have tried to extend the play. Meyers decisions were clearly horrible. Stevenson's weren't as bad, but neither player should have done what they did.

Meyers being pinned up against the sideline was more reason why Stevenson should have just kept the ball to himself in the first place. RS didn't produce the fatal flaw on the play, but Stevenson took the game from 100% going to OT to a non-zero chance they could lose in regulation. But by getting rid of the football, he didn't give them any real chance of winning on that play . . . Meyers was DOA when he caught the lateral. Couldn't go forward, couldn't go back inside, and couldn't go out of bounds (if the intent was to keep the play alive). His only option was going backwards (which obviously had no upside whatsoever). By that point, the burden seemingly shifted from Stevenson just going down to Meyers deciding he needed to go down. Neither guy should have tried to extend the play. Meyers decisions were clearly horrible. Stevenson's weren't as bad, but neither player should have done what they did.
Dude. Let it go

Turning into a painful topic…but that is what happens to clown shows…at the end of the day the biggest culprit is BB…he made his best buddy an inept OC and has presided over an undisciplined team…everyone involved in this play has blame but the seeds were planted in August and now it is time to reap the rewards.

Awesome, he will probably be benched next week as punishment

Awesome, he will probably be benched next week as punishment
Highly highly doubtful.

even more egregious one can argue.
I mean people could argue anything I guess (this board is proof of that) - but if anyone argued Stevenson's decision was worse than Meyer's decision, I wouldn't pay much attention to anything else they said because I wouldn't trust their judgment.
Yes or No?
Stephenson falls forward at the end of that 30 yd run vs just flipping it behind him and we're discussing what happened in overtime vs that botched wild pitch back, yes/no?

The press conference, Coach BB addresses that it was a draw with no planned pitches or laterals, that was not part of the play call so the first person to take upon themselves to try and be the hero is Rhamondre?

I ask out of respect that you take a 2nd look at the way this unfolded and at least give a small bit of understanding to the way the play call was sent in. And I also have no issue with those who might blame the coaches who called the last play, was pointless.

Coach BB was asked point blank int he press conference after why they didn't throw a hail mary 55 yds out and he replied
"We can't throw it throw it that far" and if that's not verbatim then it is very close to what he said

Or you can not trust my judgement which safe to say has been that way for many moons now ;)

Stephenson falls forward at the end of that 30 yd run vs just flipping it behind him and we're discussing what happened in overtime vs that botched wild pitch back, yes/no?
If we're using the "fruit of the poisoned vine" theory, then yes, Stevenson is to blame. Or the Big Bang, which happened many millennia ago.

Were it not for the big bang, the universe would not have been formed, thus we would have no Earth, nor would humans have evolved to play football, and thus there would have been no Stevenson lateral.

Sure. That's one methodology.

Another is to look at the dude who actually tried to throw a backwards pass 10 yards to the QB, but threw an interception that went to the house instead. That person was Jakobi Meyers.

So yeah that was on Rhamondre *and* Jakobi. I put much more blame on Rhamondre personally. No excuse for that 1st lateral. I'm sort of shocked people are putting more blame on Jakobi. Frankly they both deserve a GI shower but I cannot believe people are letting Rhamondre off the hook there. There was nothing safe about his decision.

So yeah that was on Rhamondre *and* Jakobi. I put much more blame on Rhamondre personally. No excuse for that 1st lateral. I'm sort of shocked people are putting more blame on Jakobi. Frankly they both deserve a GI shower but I cannot believe people are letting Rhamondre off the hook there. There was nothing safe about his decision.
Not letting Stevenson off the hook.

But his lateral clearly didn’t cost them the game.

Jakobi’s decision clearly did.

I think Stevenson deserves some of the blame. While his lateral was “safe” Meyers had nowhere to go and there was nothing to gain from it. I just hope it doesn’t affect his playing time in the next two weeks
He had his best rushing totals of his career.

Were it not for his big play, the Pats wouldn’t have had a lead to blow.

I would bet my house that his workload will be just fine.

Yes or No?
I’ve already answered this a few times.

If you can’t figure it out, it’s what I meant by saying if you look at it from an “if not for…then” analysis. Yes, looking at it that way if not for Stevenson keeping the play going then the game would have been over.

Of course that ignores Meyers dumbest decision in NFL history - which was DIRECTLY responsible for the loss. So if you think that makes Stevenson more culpable than Meyers, I won’t really argue with you but will say I don’t agree at all and think it’s a myopic way to look at it.

I cannot believe people are letting Rhamondre off the hook
I can not believe people continue to make arguments based off of something that no one said. People are saying what Meyers did was a much dumber decision and directly lead to the loss. Almost everyone has said Stevenson also made an ill advised decision to toss it to Meyers in the first place.

Stevenson’s lateral was safe and successful.
There is no universe where you can call it safe. Nor successful.
That last play was 100% on Meyers.
I disagree pretty vehemently but am only quoting here to demonstrate my point.
- Meyer was the one who panicked and made the truly bone-head decision.
but Stevenson was instructed to go as far as he could and then go down.
His toss was to a player two yards behind him, and while ill advised, it wasn't an idiotic toss.
No panicking by Rhamondre whatsoever, eh? He made the safe play eh? Ok well guess what? That's a take that makes me question one's judgement.
even more egregious one can argue.
I mean people could argue anything I guess (this board is proof of that) - but if anyone argued Stevenson's decision was worse than Meyer's decision, I wouldn't pay much attention to anything else they said because I wouldn't trust their judgment.

I cannot believe people are letting Rhamondre off the hook
I can not believe people continue to make arguments based off of something that no one said. People are saying what Meyers did was a much dumber decision and directly lead to the loss. Almost everyone has said Stevenson also made an ill advised decision to toss it to Meyers in the first place.
You all have made some really strange statements here. If you want to assign more blame to Jakobi, that's fine, but calling what Rhamondre did as safe is beyond incompetent analysis. Rhamondre directly placed Jakobi into a very dangerous situation by doing one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Did Jakobi also do something remarkably stupid? Yes, but holy crap this should be on Rhamondre much more than is being said here. He made a safe lateral? ****ing really? Ok.

No panicking by Rhamondre whatsoever, eh? He made the safe play eh? Ok well guess what? That's a take that makes me question one's judgement.
You conveniently left out:
which was probably not a good idea
and glossed over "it was ill advised"- I'm not surprised. You literally said " I cannot believe people are letting Rhamondre off the hook there." - does "ill advised" and "not a good idea" to you = not placing any blame at all?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread