What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Travis Etienne, JAX (1 Viewer)

Etienne is one of those guys you really want to bench for someone like Charbonnet because his YPC stink, the playcalling stinks, and you know you are not getting a TD out of him. But as soon as you do, he'll probably go off, so you pretty much have to leave him in there in a critical must win week.
What makes you say you know you are not getting a TD out of him?

He has 8 TD in 11 games so far. Only 3 RB have more rushing TD than ETN right now.

He is currently the 11th best player by VBD. He is the 7th highest scoring non QB player in standard scoring and the 11th highest in PPR.

I get that he is hurt right now but your statement sounds like you don't even know how good he's been.

Guy doesn't score a TD for 3 weeks and he's garbage I guess.

Eesh.

Etienne is one of those guys you really want to bench for someone like Charbonnet because his YPC stink, the playcalling stinks, and you know you are not getting a TD out of him. But as soon as you do, he'll probably go off, so you pretty much have to leave him in there in a critical must win week.
What makes you say you know you are not getting a TD out of him?

He has 8 TD in 11 games so far. Only 3 RB have more rushing TD than ETN right now.

He is currently the 11th best player by VBD. He is the 7th highest scoring non QB player in standard scoring and the 11th highest in PPR.

I get that he is hurt right now but your statement sounds like you don't even know how good he's been.

Guy doesn't score a TD for 3 weeks and he's garbage I guess.

Eesh.

It's just not the TDs (although, he seems to get stood up on first and goal quite often and a lot of that has to do with playcalling IMO), it's the horrible YPC this year. I mean the guy's strengths are his speed and ability to create in space, but all Press seems to do his run him into the brick wall everytime for 1 yard gains. It's mindboggling. Check the Atlanta game where he was 20 carries for 55 yards. That was by far the most 'my head is going to explode' game on his usage.

I don't understand the Etienne hate. I've been impressed whenever I've seen him and wished he was on my team

I'm an owner and the opposite. I watch him a lot and think this guy is going to get replaced
Dudes 3rd in scoring in my league. Top 5 in rushing tds. Top 10 in rushing yards. Top 10 in receiving yards. You were expecting more?

It's been a blood bath and he's had a couple of good weeks. I own him and everytime I watch him I just don't see anything special. I think Mostert looks better than him...

I don't understand the Etienne hate. I've been impressed whenever I've seen him and wished he was on my team
I wish he was on my team, but its for the role more than the player. He looks like he's an ok RB who gets lots of touches in all roles, but he doesn't seem like he's close to a top-5 RB talent wise. Of course, RB is the position where talent probably matters the least so fantasy wise its fine (in redraft especially) but yeah, in many ways, he's basically Rachaad White in a much better offense.

I'm an owner and the opposite. I watch him a lot and think this guy is going to get replaced
I don't see that at all. I see a horrible OC/playcalling all season. Then random spurts where by chance he seems to get the ball in space and does something electric.

I don't see that at all. I see a horrible OC/playcalling all season. Then random spurts where by chance he seems to get the ball in space and does something electric.
I agree, there's nowhere to go with the ball. Possibly the worst run blocking in the league. Hopefully he gets back on track this week as he was carrying teams midyear.

Dudes 3rd in scoring in my league. Top 5 in rushing tds. Top 10 in rushing yards. Top 10 in receiving yards. You were expecting more?

It's been a blood bath and he's had a couple of good weeks. I own him and everytime I watch him I just don't see anything special. I think Mostert looks better than him...
Mostert is running through wide open lanes with nary a DL or often LB in sight

We are all just sharing our opinions but he didn't look great last year either. Long term i would rather have kyren Williams right now

Could be blocking and could be use. Look at the texans. Everyone was saying the same thing about Pierce and Singletary is doing well with the same blocking and same line

And we don't have to get into one of these nuts 20 post arguments. I respect your opinion and I have mine

We are all just sharing our opinions but he didn't look great last year either. Long term i would rather have kyren Williams right now

Could be blocking and could be use. Look at the texans. Everyone was saying the same thing about Pierce and Singletary is doing well with the same blocking and same line

And we don't have to get into one of these nuts 20 post arguments. I respect your opinion and I have mine
I thought he looked solid last year too. I need to go try and grab the rush yards vs expectation stat. He's got good pad level, great burst, good change of direction, and no room to run.

I thought he looked solid last year too. I need to go try and grab the rush yards vs expectation stat. He's got good pad level, great burst, good change of direction, and no room to run.

When i watch i see a guy that folds like a deck of cards...This is all I'll add though. It is what it is and there is no point in going on about it for a 100 posts

I wasn't wrong... behind Mostert

When i watch i see a guy that folds like a deck of cards...
Interesting. Since I mentioned needing to see if any stats backed any of this up...

Here's last year's Rush yards over expectation: https://twitter.com/tejfbanalytics/status/1613190597980061698?s=46&t=ElAkTRqiCn_s_kzwtz6crA

Apparently ETN was actually the league leader. Meaning he got the most yards beyond what an average NFL back would be expected to gain based on the blocking success of the lines on every play. It "uses down, distance, yard line, defensive alignment, and offensive line grade to determine the number of yards an average RB would gain in a situation."

So maybe he folds like a deck of cards, but it seems like he does so after gaining significantly more yards than you'd expect someone else to gain on the same play.

In fact, if we dig deeper: https://mfbanalytics.shinyapps.io/RYOE/ - it looks like he not only had the most, but also gained the most on a per play basis.

It's weird to think he folds on contact too, given he's 5th in the NFL in yards after contact among RBs through the end of week 11 2023.

Interesting. Since I mentioned needing to see if any stats backed any of this up...

Here's last year's Rush yards over expectation: https://twitter.com/tejfbanalytics/status/1613190597980061698?s=46&t=ElAkTRqiCn_s_kzwtz6crA

Apparently ETN was actually the league leader. Meaning he got the most yards beyond what an average NFL back would be expected to gain based on the blocking success of the lines on every play. It "uses down, distance, yard line, defensive alignment, and offensive line grade to determine the number of yards an average RB would gain in a situation."

So maybe he folds like a deck of cards, but it seems like he does so after gaining significantly more yards than you'd expect someone else to gain on the same play.

In fact, if we dig deeper: https://mfbanalytics.shinyapps.io/RYOE/ - it looks like he not only had the most, but also gained the most on a per play basis.

It's weird to think he folds on contact too, given he's 5th in the NFL in yards after contact among RBs through the end of week 11 2023.

What you fail to mention is while he is 5th he is mostly in the mushy middle and 22 yards away from being 10th. I buy that list for sure. he's in the pack with a bunch of guys that are good but meh

Etienne hasn't done much to deserve a big 2nd contract...nor from a fantasy perspective am I jumping all over the guy next year. Maybe it is the system for sure but right now he would have to play lights out for me to keep him as a 1st next year

Last edited:

What you fail to mention is while he is 5th he is mostly in the mushy middle and 22 yards away from being 10th. I buy that list for sure. he's in the pack with a bunch of guys that are good but meh

Etienne hasn't done much to deserve a big 2nd contract...
I just looked for his name. 10th would still seem pretty good to me.

Yeah I don't think I'd give almost any RB a big 2nd contract. I was thinking purely from skill and a fantasy point production potential - he's clearly being misused. EVery time they get him in space - a wide zone, actually lined up wide, in motion, etc - he burns and makes guys miss. Hell, when they actually open up a hole in the line, he's like a cannon. But he's not Jerome Bettis and they keep running him like he is.

Yeah I don't think I'd give almost any RB a big 2nd contract. I was thinking purely from skill and a fantasy point production potential - he's clearly being misused. EVery time they get him in space - a wide zone, actually lined up wide, in motion, etc - he burns and makes guys miss. Hell, when they actually open up a hole in the line, he's like a cannon. But he's not Jerome Bettis and they keep running him like he is.

Yea I don't disagree but don't teams need to run inside a fair amount during a game? You can't stretch every play out. What you describe is typically the lightening to the thunder. I see Najee harris is above Etienne for example and I don't think anyone is too excited about him either

Yea I don't disagree but don't teams need to run inside a fair amount during a game? You can't stretch every play out. What you describe is typically the lightening to the thunder. I see Najee harris is above Etienne for example and I don't think anyone is too excited about him either
Yet, weirdly, Najee is among the league leaders in explosive run plays this year, bucking two years of plodder status takes.

They need to run inside. I just don't think a different RB is their issue, I think their OLine sucks and thats the issue.

Did he practice in full today?
He was limited in practice today.

The Jaguars have another practice tomorrow before playing Monday night.

It's a rib injury that he was able to come back and keep playing with in the last game, but no way to know the severity of that and how it's affecting him now that the adrenalin has worn off.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reports the Jaguars are “optimistic” Travis Etienne (chest) will suit up for Monday’s game against the Bengals.
It certainly makes sense after Etienne played through the issue in Week 12 and returned to Jags practice Friday. He also has an extra day to heal up with the Jags playing on Monday night. Jacksonville could probably win this game without its star running back, so the fact that the reports are this positive suggests it’s a truly minor issue.

I don't disagree with anything you just said.

But I heard this morning that Kyren hasn't faced a stacked box all year, and that he averages being 2.4 yards downfield before he's first touched. That's according to Next Gen stats. In their short history, outside of Kyren's 0.0% and JD McKissick's 2020 at 1.18%, no other RB has been under 5.0% of their runs into a stacked box.

Not sure what that has to do with his discussion at all really, but I do agree that I'd love to have Kyren long-term. His coach loves him and knows how to scheme up plays where he's running wide open. That's a great spot for at fantasy RB.

Snoog’s Dynasty Society
Travis Etienne leads the NFL in broken tackles, forced missed tackles, and top 5 in total rushing yards after contact before tonight’s game…

The Jaguars need to figure out more creative ways to get Travis Etienne involved.

His speed, explosiveness, and tackle breaking ability is a dangerous weapon the Jaguars need to unlock to peak their potential.

He’s leading the league in most forced missed tackles forced for a reason, get him on the perimeter and use him in the passing game more.

#DUUUVAL

Snoog’s Dynasty Society
Travis Etienne leads the NFL in broken tackles, forced missed tackles, and top 5 in total rushing yards after contact before tonight’s game…

The Jaguars need to figure out more creative ways to get Travis Etienne involved.

His speed, explosiveness, and tackle breaking ability is a dangerous weapon the Jaguars need to unlock to peak their potential.

He’s leading the league in most forced missed tackles forced for a reason, get him on the perimeter and use him in the passing game more.

#DUUUVAL
Is that for real, leads the league in broken, and, forced missed tackles? Broken tackles and forced missed tackles are completely disjoint, right?

Overtime would be nice to get the points I need out of him, but then again, they are just 100% not giving him the ball anyway.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports Travis Etienne (ribs) is expected to play in Week 14 against the Browns.

Etienne played through the rib issue in Week 13 and didn’t appear limited by the issue, so it’s no surprise to see him expected to play this time around. Even with his linger rib issue, the Jags will likely lean on Etienne heavily in this game. Trevor Lawrence will be playing through the high-ankle sprain he suffered on Monday and is facing off with one of the league’s best pass-rushers. A ground-heavy approach should help him avoid taking some unnecessary hits. Etienne ranks as a low-end RB1 for his matchup with Cleveland.

If he's fully healthy he should have a monster day. If Trevor plays he won't be taking any of those goal line runs and I could see him dumping the ball to Etienne quickly to avoid that pass rush.

Travis Etienne (ribs) is active for Week 14 against the Browns.
The national media made a big deal about Etienne’s health this week, but his status was never in danger. With Trevor Lawrence playing on essentially one leg, expect a big Etienne dose vs. a Browns defense that is far more vulnerable on the ground than through the air.

Etienne's ypc was way down this year. But look at his ypc by game. It's so consistently bad. With a top RB, you usually see at least a couple oddball games here and there where they average 7 or 8 or more. Only had 2 games above 4.6.

Only two of those games are single-digit carry sample sizes. He did have twice as many rushing TD's this year. Was it an increase in goal-line carries bringing his average down?

However, I guess the line must be pretty terrible for run blocking, given that none of the RB's had good efficiency. Bigsby and D'Ernest combined for an atrocious 2.6 ypc on a solid 91-carry sample size.

Etienne's ypc was way down this year. But look at his ypc by game. It's so consistently bad. With a top RB, you usually see at least a couple oddball games here and there where they average 7 or 8 or more. Only had 2 games above 4.6.

Only two of those games are single-digit carry sample sizes. He did have twice as many rushing TD's this year. Was it an increase in goal-line carries bringing his average down?

However, I guess the line must be pretty terrible for run blocking, given that none of the RB's had good efficiency. Bigsby and D'Ernest combined for an atrocious 2.6 ypc on a solid 91-carry sample size.
It was disappointing but it sure seems like the Jags had some fundamental problems on offense. I think in the big picture, ETN is not the problem on the Jags offense. Not at all.

Jacksonville Jaguars running back Travis Etienne Jr.'s 325 touches last year were third-most in the NFL for a RB, but head coach Doug Pederson said that Etienne as a workhorse back "is not the recipe" he prefers. Pederson mentioned that D'Ernest Johnson was injured in 2023, and Tank Bigsby was learning as a rookie. The head coach said he'd consider knocking some of Etienne's reps down next season in order to keep him healthy over the course of the year. All in all, the 25-year-old topped 1,000 rushing yards for the second time in his two NFL seasons, and he also improved as a pass-catcher with 58 catches for 476 yards. Etienne will remain the Jaguars' lead back and will be an RB1 target for fantasy managers, but you'll need to keep in mind that if the team has it their way, Etienne's total touches will be managed more.--Keith Hernandez - RotoBaller

D'Ernest and Bigsby are junk. Unless Jax drafts a RB or brings in a decent one via FA, this will still be the Etienne show in '24.

So my concerns about the HC preference for splitting carries have not entirely gone away.

I don't think 1 or 2 rushing attempts less per game matters much as long as ETN continues to see a lot of targets in the passing game. He averaged 4.3 targets per game.

ETN might be like Pollard...more efficient on less touches. ETN has seemed to wear down the last two seasons.
I do think he got overworked last year, especially with pointless up the gut runs behind an OL that couldn't create any lanes. I think the issues with ETN last year had more to do with the whole Jags offense falling apart than anything with him. 2 years ago, he didn't appear to wear down. He finished 2022 with 100 yards rushing in 3 of the last 6 games. He was great in the playoffs for them.

ETN definitely had a slump for a month in 2022 from mid November to December...and this was with James Robinson getting most of the work to begin the season.

ETN was my favorite player to watch in 2022, but it did look like he would get heavy legs in the 20 carry games...which I didn't expect from some such a young RB with so much juice.

Or maybe I was just confusing his duck like gait with tired legs.

Users who are viewing this thread