What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redskins and Williams (1 Viewer)

DanFouts

Footballguy
Don't have link yet, but just saw on local news NBC. They said that one reason Snyder is mad at Williams and didn't want to hire him was because of the 10 man tribute he did against the Bills. He was upset that Gibbs wasn't notified and it was disrespectful to Gibbs. Apparently there was a shouting match....

Snyder is a complete idiot. He is not going to hire him over a tribute to Sean Taylor? This man is running this team into the ground! :mellow:

Don't have link yet, but just saw on local news NBC. They said that one reason Snyder is mad at Williams and didn't want to hire him was because of the 10 man tribute he did against the Bills. He was upset that Gibbs wasn't notified and it was disrespectful to Gibbs. Apparently there was a shouting match....
Snyder may have a point there, but to interview Williams 4 times and keep shopping is ridiculous. What are you going to learn in interviews, 2, 3, and 4 that you didn't already know with the guy as your DC? Snyder is a complete tool.

at first glance this would seem idiotic of Snyder to be mad over a tribute.........

BUT , if a D Coach did not tell the Head Coach of the plan than that is blatant disrespect towards Gibbs.

Honestly, there have been so many unfounded and ultimately disproven rumors out there, I don't simply accept this as true. Could it be? Sure. But I'm not just going to believe it.

Anyway, there are plenty of other reasons to believe that Williams is not who they're going to hire as the head coach there besides this, so . . .

:confused:

Honestly, there have been so many unfounded and ultimately disproven rumors out there, I don't simply accept this as true. Could it be? Sure. But I'm not just going to believe it. Anyway, there are plenty of other reasons to believe that Williams is not who they're going to hire as the head coach there besides this, so . . . :mellow:
It speaks volumes when the owner bypasses the teams top coordinators and hires outside the organization like what the Ravens did with Ryan and what the Redskins appear to be doing with Saunders and Williams.With Zorn hired already to be the OC its pretty much a given that Fassel will be the new HC. Thats good news for Dallas fans. :confused:

Honestly, there have been so many unfounded and ultimately disproven rumors out there, I don't simply accept this as true. Could it be? Sure. But I'm not just going to believe it.

Anyway, there are plenty of other reasons to believe that Williams is not who they're going to hire as the head coach there besides this, so . . .

:shrug:
It speaks volumes when the owner bypasses the teams top coordinators and hires outside the organization like what the Ravens did with Ryan and what the Redskins appear to be doing with Saunders and Williams.With Zorn hired already to be the OC its pretty much a given that Fassel will be the new HC. Thats good news for Dallas fans. :no:
I'm not so sure that's true. Fassel was all over the papers acting like a jilted lover, saying he'd felt "used" given that Snyder had apparently backed off from being hot to hire him, apparently after a fan backlash. Are they going to hire him now?

Williams is still there, at least in theory, and Zorn's offensive background in theory doesn't intrude into Williams' line of work on defense, but then again the word is that Williams hasn't spoken to Snyder in five days or more.

So now what? :wall:

What in God's name are they doing, interviewing people like Jim Mora Jr., when they've got Gregg Williams and Al Saunders already on staff? No disrespect to Gibbs, but the guy had the two highest paid coordinators in NFL history (at least at one point), and I think it's safe to say he was pretty hands off as far as the football operations were concerned. The team is good, it's being run by the coordinators anyway (especially Williams), why not just give the man the job? Instead he's jerking the guy around to no end, and further disrespecting him by enteraining people like Jim Mora Jr.

It must be hell on earth to cheer for the Redskins, my heart goes out to you brave souls.

Last edited by a moderator:
at first glance this would seem idiotic of Snyder to be mad over a tribute.........BUT , if a D Coach did not tell the Head Coach of the plan than that is blatant disrespect towards Gibbs.
exactly my thoughts. Tribute = small gesture, meaningless as far as coaching abilityNot informing your boss of a move that will obviously draw national attention = bad sign of things internal

Snyder's done plenty of disrespectful things to the fans, so nobody should be surprised this culture prevails throughout the organization. It all starts at the top.

Snyder is a complete idiot. He is not going to hire him over a tribute to Sean Taylor? This man is running this team into the ground! :goodposting:
Wanna trade owners?
DEAL! Sign on the dotted line:______________________________________________Al Davis can't have that many years left in him, Snyder will torture us for many years to come.....that is unless Al Davis is a cyborg like I suspect. In which case the fine print will dissolve this contract. :towelwave:

This search is just a trainwreck.

Until Daniel Snyder hires a real GM with final say...nothing much is going to change in DC.

Dan Snyder has buried the Redskins...it's a FA wasteland.....When you make Adam Archuletta the highest paid S in NFL history one yr and cut him the next...your a clown.

The best thing Danny boy can do is hand the operations over to someone qualified to run a football team.

at first glance this would seem idiotic of Snyder to be mad over a tribute.........

BUT , if a D Coach did not tell the Head Coach of the plan than that is blatant disrespect towards Gibbs.
exactly my thoughts. Tribute = small gesture, meaningless as far as coaching ability

Not informing your boss of a move that will obviously draw national attention = bad sign of things internal
Danny and Vinny Cerrato are probably just upset that they didn't know about it so they could have "10-Man Tribute" commemorative coins (with an image of Taylor's iconic #21 Jersey on one side!) for sale in the ubiquitous Redskins Stores around the DC Area.

Wow, this is getting REALLY ugly.

News that Williams isn't in contention anymore mostly because he reportedly criticized Gibbs.

NOW Williams is saying that's total BS, he'd never say anything bad about Gibbs and that this is a smear campaign from the 'skins front office because so many fans and players have supported him.

Make it stop!!!! :lmao:

oh yeah....Williams also saying he only got 3 interviews, not 4. Said he knew something was odd when the talk of the 4th interview started to appear.

You're telling me that I heard about it before the game, but Coach Gibbs didn't?

Where's the emoticon of a bull taking a giant dump?

It did not look like Gibbs would work his magic on this team. Eventually he found a way, not Gregg. Without Gibbs, are they headed in the wrong direction? Is their glue to hold it all together?

IIRC Both Saunders and Williams have interviewed for this spot. Can those two co-exist without the HOFer around?

I think it's entirely possible that Gibbs controlled alot of egos. Snyder might be sensing it's time for a change

It did not look like Gibbs would work his magic on this team. Eventually he found a way, not Gregg. Without Gibbs, are they headed in the wrong direction? Is their glue to hold it all together?IIRC Both Saunders and Williams have interviewed for this spot. Can those two co-exist without the HOFer around? I think it's entirely possible that Gibbs controlled alot of egos. Snyder might be sensing it's time for a change
I think the main ego that Gibbs kept in check was Snyder's.

Gregg Williams doesn't think there was a shouting match.
Williams said that he had three interview sessions, not four as reported, with Redskins owner Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato, the team's executive vice president of player personnel. He said there was never any tension in those interviews.

"Dan and I, and Vinny, had a good time during the process," said Williams. "As far as I'm concerned, everything went well. We laughed, we joked. We never had anything we disagreed on, not really. Vinny and I have gotten along very well, too."
Mortensen article

It did not look like Gibbs would work his magic on this team. Eventually he found a way, not Gregg. Without Gibbs, are they headed in the wrong direction? Is their glue to hold it all together?IIRC Both Saunders and Williams have interviewed for this spot. Can those two co-exist without the HOFer around? I think it's entirely possible that Gibbs controlled alot of egos. Snyder might be sensing it's time for a change
I think the main ego that Gibbs kept in check was Snyder's.
:rolleyes: Reports I've read had Williams campaigning for Saunders to be hired two years ago. I'm not sure I buy the story about the two of them not getting along.

Snyder is a complete idiot. He is not going to hire him over a tribute to Sean Taylor? This man is running this team into the ground! :rolleyes:
Wanna trade owners?
DEAL! Sign on the dotted line:______________________________________________Al Davis can't have that many years left in him, Snyder will torture us for many years to come.....that is unless Al Davis is a cyborg like I suspect. In which case the fine print will dissolve this contract. :loco:
:football:It's the ownership version of dumping salary, except that we're dumping baggage. :D

You're telling me that I heard about it before the game, but Coach Gibbs didn't?Where's the emoticon of a bull taking a giant dump?
:banned: This is what I was thinking. I seem to remember news that the tribute was going to happen well before the game.

You're telling me that I heard about it before the game, but Coach Gibbs didn't?

:D This is what I was thinking. I seem to remember news that the tribute was going to happen well before the game.
I don't remember that. My recollection was that they were talking about doing something to honor Taylor, but my recollection was nobody was talking about going with 10 men on the first play. Regardless, what has been leaked to the media need not have been conveyed to Gibbs. Gibbs himself after the game said he didn't know about it, and he had every reason to want to say the opposite given the questions that that raised about how in control and in touch he was with his own team. Williams screwed that one up.

Now, let's get back to the present. I have no doubt - zero, none - that this story about Williams disrespecting Gibbs in his interviews is a bunch of garbage. GW has done nothing but praise Gibbs for four years, and he didn't have to stick around that long if the opposite were true, especially because he has been and remains considered around the league as a good head coaching candidate. This looks like a smear campaign from the Redskins front office attempting to justify not hiring a guy who is very popular with both players and fans.

I can't tell you how much that disgusts me as a 'Skins fan to have to write something like that.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Gregg Williams is officially out of the running for the Redskins head coaching vacancy.

Ii know Gibbs is old as dirt, but your telling me he cant count, If he seen only 10 and did not know about it, he could of called a T.O.

He knew about it, again, why do you people even listen to the media........

please tell me how many times they got somethin right n e ways!!!

People who believe the media on this are the same people who probably believe Eli is now good because he hasnt had any turnovers in the playoffs!

The media will say and do anything, i know because i'm a member, we fish for anything and then blow up the smallest detail........and thats how u get TO was tryin to swallow pills to kill him self.......because we have deadlines and people breathin down our neck so we'll give them anything.

how long have people understand this about the media, and we still listen

GIBBS KNEW, IF NOT HE WOULD HAVE SAID SOMETHING, IT WAS PROLLY HIS IDEA N E WAYS!!!!

AND I'M ABOUT RESULTS, THAT MOVE TURNED AROUND THE TEAM, IF ANYTHING SNYDER SHOULD BE GIVIN WILLIAMS "PLEASURES" LOL

Ii know Gibbs is old as dirt, but your telling me he cant count, If he seen only 10 and did not know about it, he could of called a T.O.

People who believe the media on this are the same people who probably believe Eli is now good because he hasnt had any turnovers in the playoffs!

The media will say and do anything, i know because i'm a member, we fish for anything and then blow up the smallest detail........and thats how u get TO was tryin to swallow pills to kill him self.......because we have deadlines and people breathin down our neck so we'll give them anything.

GIBBS KNEW, IF NOT HE WOULD HAVE SAID SOMETHING, IT WAS PROLLY HIS IDEA N E WAYS!!!!

AND I'M ABOUT RESULTS, THAT MOVE TURNED AROUND THE TEAM, IF ANYTHING SNYDER SHOULD BE GIVIN WILLIAMS "PLEASURES" LOL
Perhaps Gibbs wanted to save his TO's til later.... :P

Id

Id
Dont they give him 4 n e ways, he seemed to think so!!!

Id
Dont they give him 4 n e ways, he seemed to think so!!!
Type more, text less. TIA.

I don't remember that. My recollection was that they were talking about doing something to honor Taylor, but my recollection was nobody was talking about going with 10 men on the first play.
Took me awhile to find this, but I was sure I'd seen it before kickoff.

I don't remember that. My recollection was that they were talking about doing something to honor Taylor, but my recollection was nobody was talking about going with 10 men on the first play.
Took me awhile to find this, but I was sure I'd seen it before kickoff.
Good find. You're right on that then. I still refer you to Gibbs' own statements after the game that he was unaware of this, and he admitted that with every reason not to. For whatever reason, the media somehow knew about this and Gibbs did not.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Gregg Williams is officially out of the running for the Redskins head coaching vacancy.
They're now saying both him and Saunders have been dismissed altogether.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3215817
Same story at nfl.com.http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

What in the world is going on there?

For Williams to go from next in line to completely gone? Snyder must be ticked about something.

They're now saying both him and Saunders have been dismissed altogether.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3215817
Same story at nfl.com.http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

For Williams to go from next in line to completely gone? Snyder must be ticked about something.
:shrug: You seem to be factoring competency by Snyder into the equation.

:bowtie: You seem to be factoring competency by Snyder into the equation.
:shrug:

:excited: You seem to be factoring competency by Snyder into the equation.
:rolleyes:
:shrug: ;)

I am completely baffled but the ongoings with Williams.... I wanted him to take over this team. I bought into the Snyder statements about CONTINUITY after Gibbs stepped down.

Now it looks like there's going to be a complete overhaul. I read a great article in the Wash Post the other day by Thomas Boswell about how if Snyder goes with anyone other than Williams, it is taking a step back from all Gibbs has accomplished.Here is a link to the Boswell story.

I tend to believe that Snyder has his next head coach choice already in mind. The fact that he's hiring assistants makes me believe it's ones who his head coach would want. As he said in the article on ESPN about these firings that his interviews for potential head coaches gave feedback about some assistants who they would work with -- ie Zorn.

Spagnuollo I'm sure will be interviewed....

I'm confused right now.... hmm... Hail To The Redskins

redman said:
RC94 said:

:rolleyes: This is what I was thinking. I seem to remember news that the tribute was going to happen well before the game.
I don't remember that. My recollection was that they were talking about doing something to honor Taylor, but my recollection was nobody was talking about going with 10 men on the first play. Regardless, what has been leaked to the media need not have been conveyed to Gibbs. Gibbs himself after the game said he didn't know about it, and he had every reason to want to say the opposite given the questions that that raised about how in control and in touch he was with his own team. Williams screwed that one up.

Now, let's get back to the present. I have no doubt - zero, none - that this story about Williams disrespecting Gibbs in his interviews is a bunch of garbage. GW has done nothing but praise Gibbs for four years, and he didn't have to stick around that long if the opposite were true, especially because he has been and remains considered around the league as a good head coaching candidate. This looks like a smear campaign from the Redskins front office attempting to justify not hiring a guy who is very popular with both players and fans.

I can't tell you how much that disgusts me as a 'Skins fan to have to write something like that.
It was reported that they will start 10 players on defense just before the game. I remember reading it in the game thread that week. I figured that if it was being reported before the game that it was decided well before that. I also assumed that Gibbs would have known about it, but this thread is the first time I have heard that he said he didn't know. This whole thing is very strange anyway - from the lack of communication between Williams and Gibbs that week to now with the coaching search. Al Davis has the excuse that he is old, senile and just plain crazy. What is Snyder's excuse? Even though I am a Giants fan I feel sorry for Redskins fans for having to deal with Snyder indefinitely... at least a little sorry (because after all I am programmed to hate the Redskins).

redman said:
RC94 said:

:rolleyes: This is what I was thinking. I seem to remember news that the tribute was going to happen well before the game.

It was reported that they will start 10 players on defense just before the game. I remember reading it in the game thread that week. I figured that if it was being reported before the game that it was decided well before that. I also assumed that Gibbs would have known about it, but this thread is the first time I have heard that he said he didn't know. This whole thing is very strange anyway - from the lack of communication between Williams and Gibbs that week to now with the coaching search. Al Davis has the excuse that he is old, senile and just plain crazy. What is Snyder's excuse? Even though I am a Giants fan I feel sorry for Redskins fans for having to deal with Snyder indefinitely... at least a little sorry (because after all I am programmed to hate the Redskins).
There is much to like about Snyder, but unfortunately his faults seem to overshadow his merits. The reality is setting in for 'Skins fans that the last four years was but a brief respite from those problems because Gibbs was uniquely qualified and influential enough to keep Snyder's issues in check, but now that he's gone it hasn't taken long for them to reemerge. It's also sinking in that given Snyder's age, we could be stuck with him as the owner for another 30-40 years. :no:

redman said:
RC94 said:

:lmao: This is what I was thinking. I seem to remember news that the tribute was going to happen well before the game.

There is much to like about Snyder, but unfortunately his faults seem to overshadow his merits. The reality is setting in for 'Skins fans that the last four years was but a brief respite from those problems because Gibbs was uniquely qualified and influential enough to keep Snyder's issues in check, but now that he's gone it hasn't taken long for them to reemerge. It's also sinking in that given Snyder's age, we could be stuck with him as the owner for another 30-40 years. :wall:
:goodposting: I love how Snyder will spend whatever it takes. However I was hoping that Gibbs2.0 might teach him a little patience get a little more football savy. Unfortunately it doesn't seem Gibbs rubbed off on him at all.

bez18 said:
But I don't know if he'll be interested. Really, coaching prospects are soon going to start avoiding the Redskins if they haven't started doing so already. If you're the head coach, the OC and DC don't answer to you now, they answer to Snyder. It's a setup for a disastrous working relationship.

bez18 said:
But I don't know if he'll be interested. Really, coaching prospects are soon going to start avoiding the Redskins if they haven't started doing so already. If you're the head coach, the OC and DC don't answer to you now, they answer to Snyder. It's a setup for a disastrous working relationship.
It's amazing how much the gains in goodwill and esteem around the league due to Gibbs' return can be pissed away in the span of less than three weeks, isn't it?

Gregg Williams is on his way to meet with JDR and "Shack" Harris as we speak regarding the DC position in Jacksonville...

...so if this pans out.. let me be the first to thank Mr Daniel Snyder for his ignorance...

Gregg Williams is on his way to meet with JDR and "Shack" Harris as we speak regarding the DC position in Jacksonville......so if this pans out.. let me be the first to thank Mr Daniel Snyder for his ignorance...
:thumbup: I hate Snyder with a passion.

Gregg Williams is on his way to meet with JDR and "Shack" Harris as we speak regarding the DC position in Jacksonville......so if this pans out.. let me be the first to thank Mr Daniel Snyder for his ignorance...
Williams should be brilliant with that defense if he's hired.

Users who are viewing this thread