What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shane Vereen vs. Stevan Ridley (2 Viewers)

Which RB is the one to own?

• Shane Vereen

Votes: 250 47.2%
  • Stevan Ridley

Votes: 250 47.2%
  • Niether, BJGE will be back for the foreseeable future

Votes: 31 5.8%

• Total voters
Vereen is going to be one of the breakout RB's in 2012. That said, Ridley is talented in his own right and will vulture quite a few rushing TD's

I'm on the Vereen side. He was getting daily standout awards in NE until the hammy. The Patriots know what they have in Vereen
So, he got two awards? :confused: Because he only practiced twice before he got hurt.LINK
All my statement says is they were impressed with him. That's all. What's wrong with that?
No, your statement says "he was getting DAILY standout awards." What's wrong with that?

1-There is no such award

2-If there were such awards, by saying he is getting them on a "daily" basis, but hiding the fact that this "daily" basis was, AT MOST, 2 days is mis-leading.

That's what is wrong with that.

The Patriots under BB always like to have a grinder and a slasher. The grinder is a big back who gets most of the carries and most of the goal-line work. The slasher is more of 3rd down speed or hands guy.It was Antowain Smith and Kevin Faulk in the grinder/slasher role, then Corey Dillon and Kevin Faulk, then BJGE and Woodhead.The grinder will sometimes not get a bunch of carries when they throw the ball a lot but they do like to grind it out in poor weather late in the season at home.It's just wrong to say Pats RBs have no value. Whoever has played the grinder role has had significant value on occasion, particularly late in the year. The slasher has a little bit of value now and again, but not really.Btw, if it's not obvious, they drafted Ridley to be the grinder and Vereen to be the slasher. Ridley is the back to own here. Vereen's upside is Kevin Faulk.
I completely agree with this characterization of the two backs...grinder and slasher. The problem is that they put Hernandez in the backfield as well which makes neither of them reliable starts. Having said all that, I would still stash Ridley if I could in some leagues, like TD heavy scoring leagues. You just never know what BB will do so its worth a stash. Just go into it not expecting much to come of it and be pleasantly surprised.

I'm on the Vereen side. He was getting daily standout awards in NE until the hammy. The Patriots know what they have in Vereen
So, he got two awards? :confused: Because he only practiced twice before he got hurt.LINK
All my statement says is they were impressed with him. That's all. What's wrong with that?
No, your statement says "he was getting DAILY standout awards." What's wrong with that?

1-There is no such award

2-If there were such awards, by saying he is getting them on a "daily" basis, but hiding the fact that this "daily" basis was, AT MOST, 2 days is mis-leading.

He got daily awards......stand out player for that day. Not awards every single day of camp....there's a difference. I can see how you interpreted it wrong though. Sorry, I'll word it differently.Vereen got several awards in camp for being the stand out player of the day. Is that okay with you?

Ridley's fumbles seemed to lead to Hernandez in the backfield in the playoffs, which doesn't spell enormous BB confidence in Ridley as the grinder. Unless he's spent the offseason with Tiki Barber, I fear that Ridley won't wind up being a startable FF RB this year.

1-There is no such award

He got daily awards......stand out player for that day. Not awards every single day of camp....there's a difference. I can see how you interpreted it wrong though. Sorry, I'll word it differently.Vereen got several awards in camp for being the stand out player of the day. Is that okay with you?
It's less wrong, but it's still not true. You are still trying to give the impression that Vereen was impressive over a period of time, when HE ONLY MADE IT THROUGH ONE FULL PRACTICE. Also, to my knowledge, he never won any "awards" for being the stand out player in camp. I remember reading that he looked good, IN HIS ONE, SINGLE, FULL PRACTICE, but that doesn't mean he won any awards.

Even if he did win one award (I highly doubt he won any award for his 2nd practice which he couldn't even finish), it's one practice, at the beginning of training camp, with many players who didn't even make an NFL roster. Ridley had 4 games where he was the leading rusher for the Pats, against actual NFL-caliber players. Why should one good practice trump 4 actual games?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ridley's fumbles seemed to lead to Hernandez in the backfield in the playoffs, which doesn't spell enormous BB confidence in Ridley as the grinder. Unless he's spent the offseason with Tiki Barber, I fear that Ridley won't wind up being a startable FF RB this year.
IMO, this is mis-contruing facts to lead to a false conclusion.If BB was really so concerned with Ridley's fumbles, it would have made the most sense to just stick with BJGE in the backfield, since he NEVER fumbles. It would make more sense to conclude that giving Hernandez carries was merely a way of giving the D "different looks," and capitalizing on them being unprepared for those looks.The fact that Ridley didn't get many (any?) carries in the post-season would demonstrate, IMO, that BB doesn't have a whole lot of confidence in Ridley's ball security (or he didn't; whether that will hold true in 2012 is anyone's guess, at this point).

1-There is no such award

It's less wrong, but it's still not true. You are still trying to give the impression that Vereen was impressive over a period of time, when HE ONLY MADE IT THROUGH ONE FULL PRACTICE. Also, to my knowledge, he never won any "awards" for being the stand out player in camp. I remember reading that he looked good, IN HIS ONE, SINGLE, FULL PRACTICE, but that doesn't mean he won any awards.

Even if he did win one award (I highly doubt he won any award for his 2nd practice which he couldn't even finish), it's one practice, at the beginning of training camp, with many players who didn't even make an NFL roster. Ridley had 4 games where he was the leading rusher for the Pats, against actual NFL-caliber players. Why should one good practice trump 4 actual games?
:link:

1-There is no such award

:link:
Why don't you read the thread? :wall: Or at least read the series of posts that YOU responded to. The link is right there, in my very first post.

Just to provide some additional perspective here are trade offers I've made in 3 different 12 team PPR leagues for Vereen recently, all of them rejected. These owners made no counter or wanted to discuss trading him. They are holding tight.

The first one I expected to be rejected, the other two I thought had a decent chance of acceptance.

Trade Offer Rejected:

Fighting Couch Potatoes gave up:

Blount, LeGarrette TBB RB

Breaston, Steve KCC WR

Year 2012 Draft Pick 3.07

Year 2012 Draft Pick 4.12

ABC gave up:

Vereen, Shane NEP RB

(I also had previously offered the owner Ridley for Vereen straight up and he rejected)

Trade Offer Rejected:

Fighting Couch Potatoes 2 gave up:

Jackson, Fred BUF RB

Thomas, Pierre NOS RB

Benn, Arrelious TBB WR

Year 2012 Draft Pick 2.10

DEF gave up:

Vereen, Shane NEP RB

Trade Offer Rejected:

Fighting Couch Potatoes 3 gave up:

Ivory, Christopher NOS RB

Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB

Gettis, David CAR WR

GHI gave up:

Vereen, Shane NEP RB

Lets just leave it at thishttp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/25/patriots-may-look-to-shane-vereen-as-no-1-running-back/
What do you want to leave it at? :confused: That one reporter is citing another reporter's article (which has NO source) that says the Patriots "hope" Vereen can find his space at the top of the depth chart ALONG WITH Ridley and Woodhead?Yeah, that's a REAL definitive answer to the question of who will be the RB to own in NE. :rolleyes:

I've never known BB to let a RB walk without them really having someone they're going to turn to, and that someone doesn't need to be the bellcow sort. Also isn't going to be someone they haven't seen enough of. So my guess is that its going to be Ridley and Woodhead. Vereen is just going to have to nudge his way in.

From KKFL FWIW: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=789127

Patriots | Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley expected to get most carries

New England Patriots RBs Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley are expected to get a majority of the carries this season if they both stay healthy with RB Joseph Addai being an insurance policy in case they struggle.

2012-05-26 12:15:44 | Source: ESPNBoston.com - Mike Reiss

Just to provide some additional perspective here are trade offers I've made in 3 different 12 team PPR leagues for Vereen recently, all of them rejected. These owners made no counter or wanted to discuss trading him. They are holding tight.

The first one I expected to be rejected, the other two I thought had a decent chance of acceptance.

Trade Offer Rejected:

Breaston, Steve KCC WR

ABC gave up:

Vereen, Shane NEP RB

(I also had previously offered the owner Ridley for Vereen straight up and he rejected)

Trade Offer Rejected:

Jackson, Fred BUF RB

Thomas, Pierre NOS RB

Benn, Arrelious TBB WR

DEF gave up:

Vereen, Shane NEP RB

Trade Offer Rejected:

Gettis, David CAR WR

GHI gave up:

Vereen, Shane NEP RB
Is it just me or were your 2nd two offers ridiculously overpaying? I can't fathom how the guy passed

Trade Offer Rejected:

Breaston, Steve KCC WR

ABC gave up:

Vereen, Shane NEP RB

Trade Offer Rejected:

Jackson, Fred BUF RB

Thomas, Pierre NOS RB

Benn, Arrelious TBB WR

DEF gave up:

Vereen, Shane NEP RB

Trade Offer Rejected:

Gettis, David CAR WR

GHI gave up:

Vereen, Shane NEP RB
Is it just me or were your 2nd two offers ridiculously overpaying? I can't fathom how the guy passed
Right. I was about to make some offers using Vareen as a throw in. Im gonna have to rethink that. I had no clue he had this type of value.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6445/shane-vereen

he Boston Herald reports that second-year RB Shane Vereen has worked as the Patriots' first-team tailback during OTA practices open to the media.

Beat writer Jeff Howe concedes that he doesn't know whether it "means anything," and the Pats will still use a role-specific running game in 2012. Despite a lost rookie year due to injury woes, Vereen will get every opportunity to establish a big role while battling Stevan Ridley and Danny Woodhead for snaps. Howe doesn't believe Joseph Addai is a lock for a roster spot

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6445/shane-vereen

he Boston Herald reports that second-year RB Shane Vereen has worked as the Patriots' first-team tailback during OTA practices open to the media.

Beat writer Jeff Howe concedes that he doesn't know whether it "means anything," and the Pats will still use a role-specific running game in 2012. Despite a lost rookie year due to injury woes, Vereen will get every opportunity to establish a big role while battling Stevan Ridley and Danny Woodhead for snaps. Howe doesn't believe Joseph Addai is a lock for a roster spot
This is a strange sentence. On the one hand he states that he doesn't know whether it "means anything" but in the next breath says the will still use a role specific running game in 2012. For a guy who can't decipher anything based on OTAs about depth chart, he seems pretty certain that they will stick with a committee approach come hell or high water. I'm not so sure they stick with a true committee, nor that they even had a committee last season. BJGE got that Lion's share of the carries. I tend to think Vereen is the best runners and receiver among the backs on the roster. If he is more productive than Woodhead on third downs, why wouldn't Belichick use him more? The big worry with Vereen is injuries. But that make Ridley a great handcuff. Both can be had well below market value right now. In an upside down draft strategy, they can be had in the later the draft. They are basically ranked between 30-40 among backs right now. Neither is in the Top 100 overall dynasty rankings on this site. So if Vereen takes this job, as I think he can, you are looking at a 8th round selection putting up numbers befitting a back in the low 20s or even teens.

Code:
No.     Name:		Age 	Pos 	G 	GS 	Att 	Yds 	TD 	Lng 	Y/A 	Y/G 	A/G 	Rec 	Yds 	Y/R 	TD 	Lng 	R/G 	Y/G 	YScm 	RRTD 	Fmb42 	Ben Green-Ellis 25 	RB 	16 	11 	229 	1008 	13 	33 	4.4 	63.0 	14.3 	12 	85 	7.1 	0 	16 	0.8 	5.3 	1093 	13 	039 	Danny Woodhead 	25 	wr 	14 	3 	97 	547 	5 	36 	5.6 	39.1 	6.9 	34 	379 	11.1 	1 	50 	2.4 	27.1 	926 	6 	121 	Fred Taylor 	34 	rb	7 	0 	43 	155 	0 	24 	3.6 	22.1 	6.1 	2 	6 	3.0 	0 	7 	0.3 	0.9 	161 	0 	012 	Tom Brady*+ 	33 	QB 	16 	16 	31 	30 	1 	9 	1.0 	1.9 	1.9 								30 	1 	334 	Sammy Morris 	33 	rb	16 	0 	20 	56 	0 	9 	2.8 	3.5 	1.3 	7 	77 	11.0 	0 	22 	0.4 	4.8 	133 	0 	18 	Brian Hoyer 	25 		5 	0 	10 	-8 	0 	1 	-0.8 	-1.6 	2.0 								-8 	0 	033 	Kevin Faulk 	34 	rb 	2 	2 	8 	45 	0 	11 	5.6 	22.5 	4.0 	6 	62 	10.3 	0 	21 	3.0 	31.0 	107 	0 	022 	Thomas Clayton 	26 		1 	0 	6 	17 	0 	5 	2.8 	17.0 	6.0 								17 	0 	019 	Brandon Tate 	23 	KR/WR 	16 	10 	5 	62 	0 	22 	12.4 	3.9 	0.3 	24 	432 	18.0 	3 	65 	1.5 	27.0 	494 	3 	185 	Aar Hernandez 	21 	te 	14 	7 	3 	47 	0 	18 	15.7 	3.4 	0.2 	45 	563 	12.5 	6 	46 	3.2 	40.2 	610 	6 	011 	Julian Edelman 	24 	PR 	15 	3 	2 	14 	0 	13 	7.0 	0.9 	0.1 	7 	86 	12.3 	0 	40 	0.5 	5.7 	100 	0 	183 	Wes Welker* 	29 	WR 	15 	11 	0 	0 	0 	0 		0.0 	0.0 	86 	848 	9.9 	7 	35 	5.7 	56.5 	848 	7 	184 	Deion Branch 	31 	wr 	11 	9 	0 	0 	0 	0 		0.0 	0.0 	48 	706 	14.7 	5 	79 	4.4 	64.2 	706 	5 	087 	Rob Gronkowski 	21 	TE 	16 	11 	0 	0 	0 	0 		0.0 	0.0 	42 	546 	13.0 	10 	28 	2.6 	34.1 	546 	10 	181 	Randy Moss 	33 	wr 	4 	3 	0 	0 	0 	0 		0.0 	0.0 	9 	139 	15.4 	3 	35 	2.3 	34.8 	139 	3 	082 	Alge Crumpler 	33 	TE 	16 	10 	0 	0 	0 	0 		0.0 	0.0 	6 	52 	8.7 	2 	27 	0.4 	3.3 	52 	2 	017 	Taylor Price 	23 		1 	0 	0 	0 	0 	0 		0.0 	0.0 	3 	41 	13.7 	0 	18 	3.0 	41.0 	41 	0 	0	Team Total 	26.7 		16 		454 	1973 	19 	36 	4.3 	123.3 	28.4 	331 	4022 	12.2 	37 	79 	20.7 	251.4 	5995 	56 	9	Opp Total 			16 		409 	1728 	10 		4.2 	108.0 	25.6 	388 	4136 	10.7 	25 		24.3 	258.5 	5864 	35 	20

This cant be bad news for him....
Im a big Vereen believer but when he says he thinks it remains committee its based on BB's approach going back to his head coaching days in Cleveland in 1991/2. If Vereen was able to get 65% and put Woodhead on the bench while Ridley is a between tackles plunger it would make him a huge fantasy value. While I think he has the skills and maturity to do it, it would go against history of BB in a huge way.

Im a big Vereen believer but when he says he thinks it remains committee its based on BB's approach going back to his head coaching days in Cleveland in 1991/2. If Vereen was able to get 65% and put Woodhead on the bench while Ridley is a between tackles plunger it would make him a huge fantasy value. While I think he has the skills and maturity to do it, it would go against history of BB in a huge way.
Corey Dillon?

Corey Dillon?
Heck, Antowaine Smith had two seasons of 280+ touches, and he was pedestrian at best IMO. I think if a guy distances himself a bit, he will get the most work. I will bet on Vereen to be the guy with the most *touches*.

One other thing to remember is that Josh McDaniels is returning as OC and has usually leaned on having a single RB carry the load (unless injuries struck). In 2009, Knowshon Moreno had 247 carries despite starting just 9 games. The backup, Correll Buckhalter, had 120 himself. Last year, Steven Jackson had 260 carries despite an ineffective passing attack.

Whomever wins the gig has a good chance, if they can stay healthy, to end up getting at least 220-230 carries on the year if not more. The "committee" approach has usually been a result of injuries forcing backups to start games or giving the starter maybe 18 carries and the backup 6-8 carries to kill the clock with a big lead.

The Patriots under BB always like to have a grinder and a slasher. The grinder is a big back who gets most of the carries and most of the goal-line work. The slasher is more of 3rd down speed or hands guy.It was Antowain Smith and Kevin Faulk in the grinder/slasher role, then Corey Dillon and Kevin Faulk, then BJGE and Woodhead.The grinder will sometimes not get a bunch of carries when they throw the ball a lot but they do like to grind it out in poor weather late in the season at home.It's just wrong to say Pats RBs have no value. Whoever has played the grinder role has had significant value on occasion, particularly late in the year. The slasher has a little bit of value now and again, but not really.Btw, if it's not obvious, they drafted Ridley to be the grinder and Vereen to be the slasher. Ridley is the back to own here. Vereen's upside is Kevin Faulk.
Great answer.

One other thing to remember is that Josh McDaniels is returning as OC and has usually leaned on having a single RB carry the load
This isn't true.McDaniels was OC in NE in 06,07,08, HC in Den in 09 & 1st 12 games of 10, and OC in StL in 2011.

06-Dillon 199, Maroney 175

07-Maroney 185, Sammy Morris 85 (

08-Sammy Morris 156, K Faulk 83

09-Moreno 247, Buckhalter 120

10-Moreno 146, Buckhalter 21

11-SJax 260, C Williams 87

He's only had a single RB get over 250 carries in a season one time, and that was Steven Jackson, who is a much higher caliber RB than Ridley or Vereen (or Addai).

He's only ever had a single RB get over 200 carries in a season twice.

33% of the time doesn't mean he "has usually leaned on having a single RB to carry the load."

Agreed that NE seems to have easily defined types of RBs in recent years, but BB seems to regularly surprise with new developments on offense. A few years ago, in 2007, it was Randy Moss & Wes Welker shifting NE to an offense that supports high-scoring WRs, after years of solid but unspectacular WRs. And then last year, there was the TE explosion. It's hard for me to feel confident in what BB's offense will do down the road (other than score a lot of points somewhere). He might remain true to recent form at RB, but he might also re-define the position.

Trade Offer Rejected:

Jackson, Fred BUF RB

Thomas, Pierre NOS RB

Benn, Arrelious TBB WR

DEF gave up:

Vereen, Shane NEP RB
I was the owner on 2. I guess it's the case of Vareen being "my guy". I overdrafted him last year. Thought he was going to rip it up and I still do. I just couldn't see giving him up for a 31 year old RB and Pierre Thomas.

Agreed that NE seems to have easily defined types of RBs in recent years, but BB seems to regularly surprise with new developments on offense. A few years ago, in 2007, it was Randy Moss & Wes Welker shifting NE to an offense that supports high-scoring WRs, after years of solid but unspectacular WRs. And then last year, there was the TE explosion. It's hard for me to feel confident in what BB's offense will do down the road (other than score a lot of points somewhere). He might remain true to recent form at RB, but he might also re-define the position.
:goodposting: Draft good players in good offenses.

No one thought that Patriot TEs would be anything, now they have 2 of the top 3 and have started a trend. When one guy is significantly more talented than the other (as I think is the case with Vereen/Ridley), I think BB will give him a 2:1 split or thereabouts. And the price for both is still very cheap

One other thing to remember is that Josh McDaniels is returning as OC and has usually leaned on having a single RB carry the load
This isn't true.McDaniels was OC in NE in 06,07,08, HC in Den in 09 & 1st 12 games of 10, and OC in StL in 2011.

He's only had a single RB get over 250 carries in a season one time, and that was Steven Jackson, who is a much higher caliber RB than Ridley or Vereen (or Addai).

33% of the time doesn't mean he "has usually leaned on having a single RB to carry the load."
Just going by total carries is flawed as most of those seasons had RBs injured for multiple games (and in some cases, multiple RBs were injured in a single season). Any fan of the Patriots will tell you that most of the RBBC situations have been because guys go down due to injuries and miss a game here and there.2005 [18th in Carries]: Corey Dillon played 12 games, Kevin Faulk played 8 games.

2006 [6th in Carries]: Corey Dillon started 13 games but was 32 years old and split time with Laurence Maroney, who was being groomed as the feature back of the future.

2007 [9th in Carries]: Laurence Maroney played 13 games, Sammy Morris played 6 games, and Kevin Faulk played 16 games.

2008 [4th in Carries]: Sammy Morris played 13 games, LaMont Jordan played 8 games, and BJGE played 9 games.

2009 [14th in Carries]: Knowshon Moreno played 16 games and Correll Buckhalter played 14 games.

2011 [23rd in Carries]: Steven Jackson plays 15 games and gets 260 carries.

McDaniels has shown a reliance on a power running game and a willingness to get a bell cow RB the ball when the guy is healthy. He basically had that in two situations, 2009 and 2011. The other seasons all involved committee attacks out of age (2006 with Dillon) or injury factors.

220-230 carries over a 16 game season comes out to just 13-14 carries per game, which is quite doable for Vereen or Ridley if either lands the starting RB job. More often than not, his teams finish in the Top 15 in total team carries. McDaniels had 3 straight seasons in which his teams finished inside the Top 10 in team carries. He will run the ball but if injuries strike, McDaniels has shown he can effectively distribute carries around as well.

'DawnBTVS said:
'Bayhawks said:
'DawnBTVS said:

Just going by total carries is flawed as most of those seasons had RBs injured for multiple games (and in some cases, multiple RBs were injured in a single season).
So using total carries is flawed, but using selective logic/stats isn't? :confused: You're talking about ignoring 2/3 of the seasons when McDaniels was OC/HC, because injuries forced him to use multiple backs. You suggest that in only two season has he had a "healthy" RB, and he "rode" that back. The years you are using are 2009 & 2011.

However, in 2009, the RB that McDaniels "rode," Knowshon Moreno only started 9 games, despite playing in all 16. That doesn't sound like McDaniels "rode" him. In fact, if Buckhalter hadn't been hurt himself for part of that season, Moreno probably wouldn't have seen 200+ carries. It would have been much closer to a 50/50 split.

And in 2011, you're talking about Steven Jackson. He is not an unproven RB like Vereen or Ridley, nor is he a aging vet like Addai. He is the offense in StL, and McDaniels couldn't have taken significant carries away from him if he had wanted to.

The fact is that McDaniels has not track record of wanting to have one "lead back." The only season he has done so was when he had a stud RB. He doesn't have that in NE, so to suggest that he wants to ride one of these backs is either disingenuous or mis-informed.

Knowshon Moreno is terrible. I could see this either way. But Knowshon has no business in the NFL. I believe if Vereen is the best runner, he will get the most runs. If he's the best receiver, he gets the most receptions. If he isn't, he won't. I believe he is.

Knowshon Moreno is terrible. I could see this either way. But Knowshon has no business in the NFL. I believe if Vereen is the best runner, he will get the most runs. If he's the best receiver, he gets the most receptions. If he isn't, he won't. I believe he is.
Agreed, but I see no evidence of a trend of McDaniels "leaning on" 1 RB. I see it being a RBBC with Vereen (health permitting) getting the majority of touches (although not a 70/30 split, probably closer to 60/40).

I have a different option. I happen to think that they are seeing what they have in Vereen and getting him reps because he was banged up early and often last year. I am not sure there is anything to conclude at this point. I still see this as a RBBC situation and/or guys that will have defined situational roles. That could change, but at this point I don't see a bell cow back as of yet.

I have a different option. I happen to think that they are seeing what they have in Vereen and getting him reps because he was banged up early and often last year. I am not sure there is anything to conclude at this point. I still see this as a RBBC situation and/or guys that will have defined situational roles. That could change, but at this point I don't see a bell cow back as of yet.
Personally, Id be thrilled if it was a RBBC as long as its 95% Vareen/Ridley combo. Its the thought of 4 headed RBBC with Addai and Woodhead mixed in significantly that scares me. I think most if us realize that they are seeing what they have in Vareen. But that's still exciting because the could just as easily plugged Ridley in to give him the reps thinking that he is already their RB1.

Agreed, but I see no evidence of a trend of McDaniels "leaning on" 1 RB. I see it being a RBBC with Vereen (health permitting) getting the majority of touches (although not a 70/30 split, probably closer to 60/40).
No, me neither. Here is something to chew on though. It has often been said that if you have two or three running backs, you really have none. If Vereen (56th pick in 2011), just for the sake of argument, turned out to be Lesean McCoy 2.0 (53rd in 2009), Ben Tate 2.0 (58th in 2010), or Ray Rice 2.0 (55th in 2008), doesn't it stand to reason that he might get at least as many carries as BJGE? And perhaps more? Regardless of coaching history and what not. Good players get on the field. Heck, the Pats used to shuffle wideouts all over the place, now Welker gets a bajillion targets. Just two years ago the top TE for the Pats was Ben Watson with a whopping 29 catches. He and the number two combined for 43 catches. Last year, the top 2 grabbed 169 balls.

I don't remember what was discussed previsouly, but as far as I can make it,

Addai (if he makes the final roster cut) will be used primarily as a blocker.

Woodhead would be used as a change of pace guy on some passing situations and more gadget type plays.

Vereen saw the lion's share of work in OTAs practicing with the first team.

Ridley got some reps with the first team at OTAs but apparently not as many as Vereen did.

Beyond that, it's anyone's guess what the Pats will do in the regular season. I personally think they go pedal to the metal passing the football, but again that's more of a hunch than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread