What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shooting at Texas school - Kids among victims (1 Viewer)

Dont do active shooter training in schools because you might be training future mass shooters might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet. Definitely the dumbest thing I've read today.  

https://twitter.com/_Matt_Marshall/status/1530312310480306181?t=oD8pq_KT-qVQWYeoTze-Tg&s=19 

NEW: Federal agents were first instructed by local law enforcement at Robb Elementary to wait and not go after the gunman. 

After about 30 minutes, the federal agents went against the guidance they were given and took down the shooter, sources tell @JuliaEAinsley.

This feels like a press release from the Border Patrol. I think we should wait and make sure this is fact checked.

Dont do active shooter training in schools because you might be training future mass shooters might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet. Definitely the dumbest thing I've read today.  

I don't believe the poster ever said to not do active shooting drills.

Lol... You want to trust teachers to be your armed security guards?  Are you going to increase their salary?  Provide actual training or just prepared to throw a hand grenade and say good luck?  Republicans don't trust them to make their own curriculum yet are going to trust them with guns?  Dumb. 

My next door neighbor is an ex FBI agent who is a teacher at my oldest kids school.  I asked about that several years ago and he thought it was a horrific idea and was a big risk. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He called for an end to gun free zones at schools. He called for an end to lawsuits against police.  And he mocked other Republicans who didn’t show up. 

And he said that while he himself was in a gun-free zone because that's what the Secret Service feels is the best way to keep him safe?

Almost like rain on your wedding day or a free ride when you've already paid.

He called for an end to gun free zones at schools. He called for an end to lawsuits against police.  And he mocked other Republicans who didn’t show up. 

Well, if you want to be fair, all of these shooting happen in Gun Free Zones.  Why? Well, the shooter doesn't have to worry about getting shot.  They're the easiest targets in the world.  :shrug:

And he said that while he himself was in a gun-free zone because that's what the Secret Service feels is the best way to keep him safe?

Almost like rain on your wedding day or a free ride when you've already paid.

Yeah, hypocrisy is certainly a problem that we should ALL take notice of. 

Meaning that those calling for Gun Free Zones hide in Gun Free Zones while giving speeches and those advocating for gun control or gun bans usually have a security detail carrying guns surrounding them.

Yeah, hypocrisy is certainly a problem that we should ALL take notice of. 

Meaning that those calling for Gun Free Zones hide in Gun Free Zones while giving speeches and those advocating for gun control or gun bans usually have a security detail carrying guns surrounding them.
You don't need to take notice of anything I do.

Thanks - I've got some time on my schedule for next Wednesday at 6pm.  I'll give it a go then.  :thumbup:

Or, conversely, since you brought it up you could just tell me.
You made the correlation that school shootings happen because they're gun free zones. Do you have stats to back it up? It was your assertion. 

Omg did you guys see this revised timeline?? The officers in charge should be brought up on criminal charges.  This timeline is unbelievable.  Keep in mind as you read this that the shooter wasn’t taken down until 12:50.

11:30 - First 911 call is made.

11:35 - seven officers arrive at the school and approach the locked classrooms where the gunman had barricaded himself.

12:03 - Inside the school, there were as many as 19 law enforcement officers in the hallway.

12:03 - police receive a 911 call from a girl who identifies herself and whispers she's in Room 112. with the gunman.

12:10 - she calls back and says there are multiple people dead. 

12:15 - members of the Border Patrol tactical team, known as BORTAC, arrived with shields.

12:16 - girl calls back and says there are eight to nine students alive.

12:19 - Another student calls 911 from Room 111 (also where the shooter is) and hangs up at the urging of another student.

12:21 - three shots can be heard on yet another 911 call.

12:22 - 12:50 - Several more calls to 911 from desperate kids, still hiding in the same room as the killer.

12:50 -  cops enter room and take out the shooter.

AT 12:03 THERE WERE 19 POLICE IN THE HALLWAY, AND 911 WAS INFORMED THERE WERE KIDS ALIVE IN THE SAME ROOM AS THE SHOOTER.  THE KIDS KEPT CALLING 911, BUT THE COPS DIDN'T ACT FOR 47 MINUTES.

What did he say?  I don't pay attention to what that man says. 
My paraphrasing wont do it justice, but, I will try. Parentheses and all cap emphasis kare mine. 

1- The focus should be on the mental illness problems we have in this country. Every single one of these shooters fits a very similar profile and the warning signs are there ahead of time. 

2- There is no substitute for a strong family unit with a mother and father. None. 

3- (knowing we dont have 100% control of #1 and #2, #3 becomes the most important implementation wise) Harden the Schools. Fully attainable.  A single entrance with metal detectors and no one gets in until they are vetted and pass screening. (No different than going to a ballgame, you wont get into a pro stadium with a gun, nor a courthouse).  We give 58 million to protect all of Ukraine, we can do the same with our own children. Armed and TRAINED security on staff at every school. Let teachers be TRAINED and conceal carry. Take down the stupid "gun free zone" advertisement signs for mass shootings.  

4- FUND police and first responders.  

:yes:

The grocery store where 10 people were killed. And had an armed off-duty cop working security.

I know these killings come so quickly that we can hardly remember the one that happened last week.

I can barely remember what I had for breakfast two days ago, much less every possible thing in the world that you deem important.

I'll look into this Tops thingy.

The grocery store where 10 people were killed. And had an armed off-duty cop working security.

I know these killings come so quickly that we can hardly remember the one that happened last week.
I'd call a grocery store with one security guard still a pretty soft target. 

Proof:  it was scoped out ahead of time by the shooter and he told us so. 

My paraphrasing wont do it justice, but, I will try. Parentheses and all cap emphasis kare mine. 

1- The focus should be on the mental illness problems we have in this country. Every single one of these shooters fits a very similar profile and the warning signs are there ahead of time. 
What shooters were he talking about?  School shooters, mass shooters?   

Politicians don't ever seem to be able to what this profile is, or what the warning signs are.   Just the nebulous "mental illness".   Oh, they never seem to tell us exactly what they are going to do about mental illness either.    Just lip service as usual.  

Armed guards don’t deter gunmen

It’s an axiom of the pro-gun movement that mass shooters target “gun-free zones.” According to that logic, the presence of armed guards should deter shooters. President Donald Trump embraced that reasoning in a post-Parkland statement on school safety.

But the record usually doesn’t back up the deterrence theory — gunmen have often targeted schools with armed guards. In four high-profile 2018 school shootings — Kentucky’s Marshall County High School in January; Florida’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in February; Maryland’s Great Mills High School in March, and Santa Fe High School in Texas in May — attackers stormed campuses despite the presence of armed guards. In all four of those cases, guards failed to stop the gunman from killing.

More generally, active shooters do not favor “gun-free zones.” Louis Klarevas, a professor at the University of Massachusetts, analyzed 111 shooting attacks between 1966 and 2015 for his book Rampage Nation, and found that only 18 took place in areas where firearms were banned.

We want to stop grocery store shootings too, don't we? And concerts? And churches? Do we need to make everything a fortress to keep shooters out?

What shooters were he talking about?  School shooters, mass shooters?   

Politicians don't ever seem to be able to what this profile is, or what the warning signs are.   Just the nebulous "mental illness".   Oh, they never seem to tell us exactly what they are going to do about mental illness either.    Just lip service as usual.  
It's obvious you didnt listen to the speech nor read the current convo going on.  You can catch up on your own. 

He talking about the recent Buffalo shooting. 

Thanks.  I just know it as "Buffalo Shooting".  :shrug:

TBH, these shootings are hard to watch and listen too so I try not to inundate myself with too much.  It breaks my heart the tragedy of these children and families.

We want to stop grocery store shootings too, don't we? And concerts? And churches? Do we need to make everything a fortress to keep shooters out?
Ballparks

Courthouses

Themeparks

Most major concerts already are

All of those are hardened. All of those are places people choose to go. If I had to pick a #1 place to harden it would be elementary schools. Why do we harden anything at all if its NOT our schools.  

Glad you're starting to see it as a viable solution tho.  

Users who are viewing this thread