What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

STAR WARS: Episode 7 (All-Time #1 opening box office.) (1 Viewer)

they're just going to be animated films right? not cool live action stuff?I hate to say it, but i'm not even looking forward to something like this. I'm pretty done with the story and would rather it just continue with comics, books, etc.I have not watched any of the clone wars stuff and really don't intend to.Star Wars was fun, but some things just need to be let go of
clone wars cartoons are all kinds of awesome
I'm sure they are well done, i'm just not terribly interested

that's another point.The adults that saw star wars in the 80's are now in their 30's to 50'sthey want to see a super dark violent jedi slicing movie that they can't take their kids to because it's rated R.Disney is going to pump out kiddie crap most likely because they want another generation of fans.So basically, whatever they come out with is highly likely not to appeal to adults as much. It's one of the main reason people didn't like the prequels... too much jar jar, too much junk.. not enough intense sci-fi action. The best they did was the 3rd movie and it was because things definitely got a lot darker.
I don't think the Avengers and all their related movies were a bunch of kiddie crap.

they're just going to be animated films right? not cool live action stuff?I hate to say it, but i'm not even looking forward to something like this. I'm pretty done with the story and would rather it just continue with comics, books, etc.I have not watched any of the clone wars stuff and really don't intend to.Star Wars was fun, but some things just need to be let go of
Comics is the place to go for good Star Wars stories. Really enjoyed 'Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison'. Also liking 'Agent of the Empire', about a James Bond-type Empire intelligence officer set after the Empire first gets going and before the Rebellion officially starts.

Funny thing is, Disney could be the best thing that's happened to the Star Wars franchise in, what, 32 years? George Lucas is a visionary storyteller that couldn't direct a Fancy Feast commercial. If Disney hires a real director, we could be seeing future movies in this franchise that are actually good.

'shader said:
This is pretty exciting. So lets lay out the scenarios for possibilities for Star Wars 7:

1. Remake of first trilogy: -- I've actually seen people that want this. I don't think there is any way it happens. Regardless of how good or bad those movies were (and we had a lot of debate on 2 and 3 last night in the other thread) I don't think Disney is going to sink hundred of millions of dollars in the story of Anakin Skywalker again. However, IF they got a great Anakin. IF they got a GREAT script, cast, director, etc.....A re-make of the first three movies would bring back loads of fans that felt alienated from Lucas' new trilogy. It would be a huge risk though, because if it failed, I think the Star Wars franchise would be seen as a joke from here on out. Also, I'm sure Lucas would fight this with all he has, and he still is serving as a Creative consultant. Probability on this one: 1/10

2. "Vader" movie that takes place in between first two trilogies: I personally think this is a no-brainer. If I'm sitting at the head of Lucas Films today and trying to convince Disney execs which direction I want to take, this is my suggestions. Why? A few reasons: Vader is the most popular villain of all-time. As a poster in the other thread stated, Vader stuff is all over their theme parks. James Earl Jones is still alive! There is a huge story that hasn't been told yet. The story of Vader mowing down all the Jedi. Another reason this movie makes the most sense: A great script could be written fairly easy. However, can the same be said about "post-ROTJ" movies? There are a ton of complications to making "post-ROTJ" movies, which I'll get into in the next portion. I think that the first film Disney does needs be an absolute home run. Basically if I'm Disney, I hand this movie over to Christopher Nolan, and say : give us Dark Knight 2.0 in the Star Wars Universe with Vader as the centerpiece. It would be unbelievable and make more money than probably any Star Wars film out there. Probability on this one: 3/10. As "slam-dunk" as it sounds, I just have no confidence that it will actually happen.

3. "Post-ROTJ" era film: In all likelihood this is where it's going from what I've read. The Zahn books are big fan favorites and could be used. New material could be written. I know Star Wars nerds claim that the years immediately after ROTJ have all been accounted for in fan fiction, but this just isn't the case. Disney can create an entire new history, though I imagine they would use some of the popular characters in fan fiction as they do in the comic books with Marvel. The opportunities are endless here, and Disney has the opportunity to create new characters, which means lots of new money. A new Star Wars villain, new heroes, anything can happen. But with "new" comes unbelievable risk. Disney has already committed to 2015, which means a general script is going to have to come forward pretty soon. I feel that they would be better off using my option 2, and taking some time to make sure that they get the post-ROTJ time period right. Once they've re-launched the excitement with an unbelievable "Vader" film, then they sell them on the new characters/world. If their first film is after ROTJ and it fails....Disney will be in trouble. The last thing we need here is a "setup" film. You know, a film that just sets up the rest of the series, explaining what has happened, the state of the universe, and acting as a gateway to the future. We need an impact film first, to re-create the enthusiasm. Also, you have the immense problem of Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia. The old actors are going to be bombarded with fans wondering if they are reprising their roles. But face it, they are old and done for, aside from perhaps Harrison Ford. If you think fans were outraged at casting choices for Anakin and for things they saw in the new trilogy, wait until you see how they react to a "new" Han Solo. Probability on this one: 6/10. I feel this is where it's headed. Until I see the movie I'll be nervous if this is announced. Star Wars without Anakin/Darth Vader is going to be tough to sell. It's going to require great casting, great storylines and there are many challenges. In my opinion they are challenges that would be best served by thinking about them for a year or two, instead of rushing to film with a new cast of characters.
I'd be interested in seeing a post-ROTJ trilogy set 30+ years in the future where the original Luke, Han, and Leia actors come back in some sort of a supporting role and new characters (like their children) are the new main characters. I think that would be a nice transition to a new cast and new storyline. I think it would be a huge mistake to recast any of the original characters as that would further alienate a large group of fans.

that's another point.The adults that saw star wars in the 80's are now in their 30's to 50'sthey want to see a super dark violent jedi slicing movie that they can't take their kids to because it's rated R.Disney is going to pump out kiddie crap most likely because they want another generation of fans.So basically, whatever they come out with is highly likely not to appeal to adults as much. It's one of the main reason people didn't like the prequels... too much jar jar, too much junk.. not enough intense sci-fi action. The best they did was the 3rd movie and it was because things definitely got a lot darker.
It doesn't have to be either or. You can darken up the story a bit and still make it palatable to children. People can die. I know it's getting cliche in these threads but look at what is going on with Marvel. I have at least really liked all the movies. They are a bit kiddy here and there but they also have something for the adults. And it looks like they are finally going to darken up Iron Man a bit. But no one is asking for the Wild Bunch with Jedi Knights. Just a little less kiddie and a tad more adult would be fine.

'shader said:
3. "Post-ROTJ" era film: Also, you have the immense problem of Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia. The old actors are going to be bombarded with fans wondering if they are reprising their roles. But face it, they are old and done for, aside from perhaps Harrison Ford. If you think fans were outraged at casting choices for Anakin and for things they saw in the new trilogy, wait until you see how they react to a "new" Han Solo.
I don't see this as a problem at all. There wasn't any problem with a new Kirk and Spock and Star Trek fans are every bit as rabid as Star Wars fans (more so probably).So long as they cast a solid actor fans will understand.

'Andy Dufresne said:
'saintsfan said:
Sith is a great Star Wars film, period. Its dialog and acting is no more hokey than any of the other movies. Unless you think Luke going "Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!" is somehow great acting or dialog.I think Sith is every bit as good as Empire.
I wouldn't go quite that far...but it's not too far off.
Even if you don't think it's as good as Empire, I think you could easily make an argument that it's the 2nd best of the movies.The battle between Obi Wan and Vader is epic. Full of pathos. Best fight in the entire series, IMO.

'shader said:
3. "Post-ROTJ" era film: Also, you have the immense problem of Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia. The old actors are going to be bombarded with fans wondering if they are reprising their roles. But face it, they are old and done for, aside from perhaps Harrison Ford. If you think fans were outraged at casting choices for Anakin and for things they saw in the new trilogy, wait until you see how they react to a "new" Han Solo.
I don't see this as a problem at all. There wasn't any problem with a new Kirk and Spock and Star Trek fans are every bit as rabid as Star Wars fans (more so probably).So long as they cast a solid actor fans will understand.
Yeah I was on of those Star Trek fans who was worried about change. But they delivered and so it was all good, can't wait for the next one. If they make changes and they kill it, no problem.

I like the idea of new movies, but then again, I didn't mind the prequels so much. I'm sure we'll get some good ones and some bad ones like any other franchise.

It doesn't have to be either or. You can darken up the story a bit and still make it palatable to children. People can die. I know it's getting cliche in these threads but look at what is going on with Marvel. I have at least really liked all the movies. They are a bit kiddy here and there but they also have something for the adults. And it looks like they are finally going to darken up Iron Man a bit. But no one is asking for the Wild Bunch with Jedi Knights. Just a little less kiddie and a tad more adult would be fine.
but I want the one with beheadings, female non-alien breasts, and implied anal.Granted though... i'll respect what Revenge of the Sith did with implying anakin blew through an entire group of jedi "younglings" so maybe they can darken it up just a little.

that's another point.

The adults that saw star wars in the 80's are now in their 30's to 50's

they want to see a super dark violent jedi slicing movie that they can't take their kids to because it's rated R.

Disney is going to pump out kiddie crap most likely because they want another generation of fans.

So basically, whatever they come out with is highly likely not to appeal to adults as much. It's one of the main reason people didn't like the prequels... too much jar jar, too much junk.. not enough intense sci-fi action. The best they did was the 3rd movie and it was because things definitely got a lot darker.
but I want the one with beheadings, female non-alien breasts, and implied anal.

Granted though... i'll respect what Revenge of the Sith did with implying anakin blew through an entire group of jedi "younglings" so maybe they can darken it up just a little.
I think you are looking for the Star Whores series. And the anal ain't implied.

'shader said:
This is a really good point.While I think anything they put out will be a cash cow, the real creative juices will start flowing AFTER they finish up with Ep 7, 8 and 9. Then you can start anywhere, go anywhere, introduce any character and really try new stuff. That will be 7 or 8 years away.

I'd be interested in seeing a post-ROTJ trilogy set 30+ years in the future where the original Luke, Han, and Leia actors come back in some sort of a supporting role and new characters (like their children) are the new main characters. I think that would be a nice transition to a new cast and new storyline. I think it would be a huge mistake to recast any of the original characters as that would further alienate a large group of fans.
Not so sure you really want this.http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pQ74jsddklY/TdWq8PoeMdI/AAAAAAAAAAs/19wJkRhepwk/s1600/Carrie_Fisher2flv.png

Not so sure you really want this.http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pQ74jsddklY/TdWq8PoeMdI/AAAAAAAAAAs/19wJkRhepwk/s1600/Carrie_Fisher2flv.png
When did Jabba the Hut get hair?

Well she is never going to be rocking the slave girl outfit again but it seems to me she wasn't quite so Jabba like the last time I saw her.

The Hollywood Reporter is saying that they are considering "offshoot movies" focusing on individual characters. Kind of like the Avengers.

I guess you could do that, having a "Han Solo" movie, a Luke Skywalker movie, etc....But I just don't know that those would be quite as appealing. I don't personally think I'd be all that excited about a Han Solo movie. Bigtime Star Wars fans might, but I don't think it would be that exciting myself.

Will the films automatically be considered cannon? Or will there be arguments over what is cannon or not like the books? Nerd heaven.

Last edited by a moderator:
People are worried about Han and Luke being played by different characters?

Who cares. 8 different people have played Bond. They just remade Star Trek and it was great. Batman has had tons of people. I just want to see a good story. People fret too much.

People are worried about Han and Luke being played by different characters? Who cares. 8 different people have played Bond. They just remade Star Trek and it was great. Batman has had tons of people. I just want to see a good story. People fret too much.
I'll remain optimistic. Just hope I don't read something like, "Jack Black to be the next Han Solo."

Will the films automatically be considered cannon? Or will there be arguments over what is cannon or not like the books? Nerd heaven.
Canon with Star Wars is a harder argument than say with a comic book. Yes there are certain things like Han shot first but there has been so much written about the Star Wars universe by so many people there aren't too many hard fast "facts" as it were.

The Hollywood Reporter is saying that they are considering "offshoot movies" focusing on individual characters. Kind of like the Avengers. I guess you could do that, having a "Han Solo" movie, a Luke Skywalker movie, etc....But I just don't know that those would be quite as appealing. I don't personally think I'd be all that excited about a Han Solo movie. Bigtime Star Wars fans might, but I don't think it would be that exciting myself.
If Boba Fett gets a movie, will the internet explode?

People are worried about Han and Luke being played by different characters? Who cares. 8 different people have played Bond. They just remade Star Trek and it was great. Batman has had tons of people. I just want to see a good story. People fret too much.
Characters playing characters?

The Hollywood Reporter is saying that they are considering "offshoot movies" focusing on individual characters. Kind of like the Avengers. I guess you could do that, having a "Han Solo" movie, a Luke Skywalker movie, etc....But I just don't know that those would be quite as appealing. I don't personally think I'd be all that excited about a Han Solo movie. Bigtime Star Wars fans might, but I don't think it would be that exciting myself.
My mind just did. That would be awesomeness.

thisAnd if there's a way they can work in a scene where someone's nerf herding...... duude!

thisAnd if there's a way they can work in a scene where someone's nerf herding...... duude!
:lmao: :hifive:

clone wars cartoons are all kinds of awesome
I'm sure they are well done, i'm just not terribly interested
They are very enjoyable to watch with my kids. Otherwise, I'd still probably watch. :bag:

I would just reboot the whole thing. Start at Episode 1 (or earlier) and go from there.
This is the only way to go. Begging a hundred years or more later where the stories of Luke and Yoda are more myth than real. Or, begin with the birth of the Jedi. Way back when to see the arrival of what we will one day know as episode 4, 5, 6. Whole new stories with little to no references of the six already made.

I would just reboot the whole thing. Start at Episode 1 (or earlier) and go from there.
This is the only way to go. Begging a hundred years or more later where the stories of Luke and Yoda are more myth than real. Or, begin with the birth of the Jedi. Way back when to see the arrival of what we will one day know as episode 4, 5, 6. Whole new stories with little to no references of the six already made.
You mean the only way they won't go? Because none of this #### is going to happen.

star wars 7 should be about what happens between episodes 3 and 4. there is around a 16 year gap between these 2 movies

Disney can run for years with star wars

A Han solo movie?

boba fett movie?

Yoda movie?

movie about the sith vs Jedi in the old republic

as noted above, they can make a movie every year or two for as long as there is demand...

they also got indiana jones franchise, and ILM (save on CGI outsourcing, not just on star wars, but everything)...

after recently acquiring pixar and marvel, and already owning ABC & ESPN, disney is becoming quite a media conglomerate under bob iger...

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean the only way they won't go? Because none of this #### is going to happen.
:goodposting:

'shader said:
2. "Vader" movie that takes place in between first two trilogies: I personally think this is a no-brainer. If I'm sitting at the head of Lucas Films today and trying to convince Disney execs which direction I want to take, this is my suggestions. Why? A few reasons: Vader is the most popular villain of all-time. As a poster in the other thread stated, Vader stuff is all over their theme parks. James Earl Jones is still alive! There is a huge story that hasn't been told yet. The story of Vader mowing down all the Jedi. Another reason this movie makes the most sense: A great script could be written fairly easy. However, can the same be said about "post-ROTJ" movies? There are a ton of complications to making "post-ROTJ" movies, which I'll get into in the next portion. I think that the first film Disney does needs be an absolute home run. Basically if I'm Disney, I hand this movie over to Christopher Nolan, and say : give us Dark Knight 2.0 in the Star Wars Universe with Vader as the centerpiece. It would be unbelievable and make more money than probably any Star Wars film out there. Probability on this one: 3/10. As "slam-dunk" as it sounds, I just have no confidence that it will actually happen.
The problem with this is "who's the hero?" The good guys don't just lose, they lose badly. Too dark and no clear story arc.
I don't think in a 3.5 movie, there HAS to be a hero. We know a hero is coming and we could see how the twins are kept hidden from Vadar as he looks. Wouldn't be a bad thing to have Vadar "win" as long as the "hope for the future" is preserved as well. It would make for a really cool movie for it to be dark and different from expectations. I know there is no way they could keep it secret through production, but that would be even better.

'The Ref said:
For anyone who has never seen this hour long review and considers themselves a Star Wars nerd, I highly recommend this. It's a complete dismantling of how bad the Phantom Menace was in a very educated smart and funny way. 4.2M hits so you know it's good.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI
This is awesome, btw. :thumbup:
Just watched all 7 episodes back to back.

It will be interesting if they keep it where kids can see it. Or do they go Dark Knight. I suppose there is enough to do both. It would be cool to see a really dark Vader movie, but you'd have a lot of parents upset if they couldn't take their 8 year old to a Star Wars movie.

'shader said:
The problem with this is "who's the hero?" The good guys don't just lose, they lose badly. Too dark and no clear story arc.
One of the problems with the new movies was that Vader invoked very little sympathy in the viewer. The actor had no range and the reasons as to why the viewer should have any real sympathy were murky and disjointed. A Vader movie like this could very much work and strengthen the character throughout ALL the movies. It wouldn't have to be a case of him being an anti-hero to some element that's worse than him...they could make a movie about him destroying the Jedi while tangling with Obi-Wan/Yoda led resistance while trying to get his head around exactly what happened to him/Padme/his kids...

'Andy Dufresne said:
'saintsfan said:
Sith is a great Star Wars film, period. Its dialog and acting is no more hokey than any of the other movies. Unless you think Luke going "Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!" is somehow great acting or dialog.I think Sith is every bit as good as Empire.
I wouldn't go quite that far...but it's not too far off.
Even if you don't think it's as good as Empire, I think you could easily make an argument that it's the 2nd best of the movies.The battle between Obi Wan and Vader is epic. Full of pathos. Best fight in the entire series, IMO.
I'm not sure I agree. Much of Sith was very good. But I can never get past the fact that the movie is the one that established that the baddasest badass in the history of film became just an angsty teenager that was good at swordfighting.

'shader said:
One of the problems with the new movies was that Vader invoked very little sympathy in the viewer. The actor had no range and the reasons as to why the viewer should have any real sympathy were murky and disjointed. A Vader movie like this could very much work and strengthen the character throughout ALL the movies. It wouldn't have to be a case of him being an anti-hero to some element that's worse than him...they could make a movie about him destroying the Jedi while tangling with Obi-Wan/Yoda led resistance while trying to get his head around exactly what happened to him/Padme/his kids...
Problem is Yoda an Obi are in hiding. I don't think it would work for them to be heavily involved in the resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread