What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Teenagers - A support thread (1 Viewer)

There is a stigma about being intelligent in school. Unfortunately one of the most accepting groups is the stoners.
I will be honest, as a HS teacher, I don't see that stigma. There's a much bigger stigma with being unintelligent. This is of course my anecdotal experience from the high school I work in.
I will agree there is a greater stigma to having below normal intelligence but that doesn't mean there's no stigma for the highly intelligent. Look no further than Sheldon Cooper for how most of society views intelligence.
That is a TV show written for laughs. Also, I do think there is a lot of room between "smart kid with good grades" and "99th percentile child nuclear physicist level genius". All I can say is from my experience teaching in high school for 17 years is that being smart/getting good grades is generally a positive socially speaking. But I always have to caveat that with my anecdotal experience is limited to a couple schools in SE Michigan.
Regardless the kid is getting high, is the social group he hangs with doing the same? If so how do you go about getting him to quit hanging with that crowd and finding a nonsmoking crowd to hang with? If the kid is getting high but not hanging with stoners you have to figure why he's getting high.

There is a stigma about being intelligent in school. Unfortunately one of the most accepting groups is the stoners.
I will be honest, as a HS teacher, I don't see that stigma. There's a much bigger stigma with being unintelligent. This is of course my anecdotal experience from the high school I work in.
I will agree there is a greater stigma to having below normal intelligence but that doesn't mean there's no stigma for the highly intelligent. Look no further than Sheldon Cooper for how most of society views intelligence.
That is a TV show written for laughs. Also, I do think there is a lot of room between "smart kid with good grades" and "99th percentile child nuclear physicist level genius". All I can say is from my experience teaching in high school for 17 years is that being smart/getting good grades is generally a positive socially speaking. But I always have to caveat that with my anecdotal experience is limited to a couple schools in SE Michigan.
Regardless the kid is getting high, is the social group he hangs with doing the same? If so how do you go about getting him to quit hanging with that crowd and finding a nonsmoking crowd to hang with? If the kid is getting high but not hanging with stoners you have to figure why he's getting high.
I for sure agree, you want to figure out why he's doing it and who he is hanging out with. Vaping is pretty common now, maybe more common than drinking. So it's pretty wide open as to what his friend group is doing and what he's doing. But I am a big supporter of the idea that step number one is is learning and understanding.

Last edited:
Thanks all - great input and advice. I think it’s mostly the friends he’s hanging out with, but also other stuff that we’ve tried to unpack but can’t. He’s in all honors classes but hangs with kids who aren’t. We have stressed that his whole life is ahead of him, he has many possibilities, we’ll support whatever he wants to do for college and career, he just needs to stay on the straight line to get there. We have him scheduled to virtually see a therapist on Monday. He was reluctant at first, but has since warmed up to it. The doc is a 31 year old dude who swam (like my son does). We’re hoping he’ll open up to someone young that he can hopefully relate to. Fingers crossed.

Thanks all - great input and advice. I think it’s mostly the friends he’s hanging out with, but also other stuff that we’ve tried to unpack but can’t. He’s in all honors classes but hangs with kids who aren’t. We have stressed that his whole life is ahead of him, he has many possibilities, we’ll support whatever he wants to do for college and career, he just needs to stay on the straight line to get there. We have him scheduled to virtually see a therapist on Monday. He was reluctant at first, but has since warmed up to it. The doc is a 31 year old dude who swam (like my son does). We’re hoping he’ll open up to someone young that he can hopefully relate to. Fingers crossed.
Good job, that is a great start. Sounds like it could be a nice pair since the guy is young, has somethings in common with your son, etc. If he is keeping his grades up despite the weed use, it's probably nothing major. That kind of experimentation is totally normal. He might be really stressed about his grades, future, etc. and the weed helps calm him. Of course you don't want that to be the only way he learns how to cope with anxiety but I would say he's probably going to be fine and you are handling things really well.

So the 15 year old developed some weird lumps in her throat Thursday. Seems they have continued to swell, she has a metallic taste and is now having trouble breathing. Her Grandma kept her home from school Friday so she could take her to the ER. Grandma then changed her mind and said making an appointment woud be better and went back to bed. Grandma also failed to share with her aunt that the kid's medicaid needed to be renewed but they missed the deadline. Today the kid is having more trouble breathing, the State office for insurance is closed until Monday and from what I gather, she is going to need to reapply which takes 45-90 days. SMH. Am I really going have to take her to the ER and eat a several thousand dollar hospital bill? I am so livid right now.I swear there's not a single functioning adult her in life, at this point I really would like to just adopt her already. This is ridiculous.

Last edited:
So the 15 year old developed some weird lumps in her throat Thursday. Seems they have continued to swell, she has a metallic taste and is now having trouble breathing. Her Grandma kept her home from school Friday so she could take her to the ER. Grandma then changed her mind and said making an appointment woud be better and went back to bed. Grandma also failed to share with her aunt that the kid's medicaid needed to be renewed but they missed the deadline. Today the kid is having more trouble breathing, the State office for insurance is closed until Monday and from what I gather, she is going to need to reapply which takes 45-90 days. SMH. Am I really going have to take her to the ER and eat a several thousand dollar hospital bill? I am so livid right now.I swear there's not a single functioning adult her in life, at this point I really would like to just adopt her already. This is ridiculous.
No clinics?

I wouldn't mess around with breathing problems, get it checked out. Strep throat?

No clinics?

I wouldn't mess around with breathing problems, get it checked out. Strep throat?
Her aunt finally took her somewhere. Waiting on the swab result. Doesn’t seem like step throat. She’s got two lumps you can feel in her throat and they have gotten more swollen. She said it’s not sore, she’s just having a harder and harder time breathing. Who knows what bill will come out as.

So she went to some kind of clinic and it wasn't that expensive. She's fine, just some virus that cleared up quickly. I probably waaay overreacted but I do think it's reasonable that you make sure your kid has health insurance. Anyway, she is doing better than ever now in school. Now she is doing homework, studying, reading without me even prompting her. I will even send her extra work or practice stuff to prep her for tests and she doesn't just do it, she does it with a smile. She just really wants to do well and she takes pride in the fact her being successful is important to someone.

Anyone that has experience with a teenager and especially a teen girl have any advice for ages 16-18? Things that helped get them on the right path, things to look out for, things to avoid, etc. The 15 year old is still pretty childish despite all the rather adult things she's done in her life. I am a little unsure how things might change as she gets older.

The 15 year old is still pretty childish despite all the rather adult things she's done in her life.
She will likely be a bit behind maturity-wise for a bit. The trauma stuff and any drinking or whatnot stops the maturing process. She'll catch up eventually.

So she went to some kind of clinic and it wasn't that expensive. She's fine, just some virus that cleared up quickly. I probably waaay overreacted but I do think it's reasonable that you make sure your kid has health insurance. Anyway, she is doing better than ever now in school. Now she is doing homework, studying, reading without me even prompting her. I will even send her extra work or practice stuff to prep her for tests and she doesn't just do it, she does it with a smile. She just really wants to do well and she takes pride in the fact her being successful is important to someone.

Anyone that has experience with a teenager and especially a teen girl have any advice for ages 16-18? Things that helped get them on the right path, things to look out for, things to avoid, etc. The 15 year old is still pretty childish despite all the rather adult things she's done in her life. I am a little unsure how things might change as she gets older.
Tha
t

Anyone that has experience with a teenager and especially a teen girl have any advice for ages 16-18? Things that helped get them on the right path, things to look out for, things to avoid, etc. The 15 year old is still pretty childish despite all the rather adult things she's done in her life. I am a little unsure how things might change as
Good luck -You got this figured out

The 15 year old is still pretty childish despite all the rather adult things she's done in her life.
She will likely be a bit behind maturity-wise for a bit. The trauma stuff and any drinking or whatnot stops the maturing process. She'll catch up eventually.
She is absolutely behind maturity wise. She actually brought this up recently how she doesn't feel like she's maturing. I reiterated what you said that it might be delayed but is coming along. On the other hand, she's also engaging in some sort of relationships with adults- guys like 18-20 she's met on Snapchat. I don't know all the details as she won't quite say. I have no power to take her phone or even dictate where she goes but I of course let her aunt/guardian know (the 15 year old acknowledged that it was right for me to do this and she appreciated I cared so much) .

We talked about it and she know's it is wrong, she swears that while it's complicated, nothing has happened yet. I know she's stressed about the fact she knows a 20 year old trying to do whatever with a 15 year old is dangerous and messed up but also who wouldn't like the attention from older guys when you are 15. I am not totally sure what to do here. On one hand, I have made my feelings known and I am not actually her dad so it's not my place. On the other hand, she does think of me as her dad and if this isn't the place where a dad steps in, what is?

Man, that's a tough one there. I know she trusts you but I would have to make sure she knows that:

1. It's illegal if something progresses to a sexual nature (I don't know the laws in your state, but I assume that's the case)

2. For her safety she needs to shut this down. And it's not morally right.

I would be tempted to call the cops but I know you have no legal standing here and you don't want to break the trust factor. But to me this is where you cash some of those chips in. That ain't right in any book.

Last edited:
I was going to say boys. Avoid boys.

But skipping straight to "men", if you can call a 20 year old interested in a 15 year old that, wasn't what I had in mind.

Man, that's a tough one there. I know she trusts you but I would have to make sure she knows that:

1. It's illegal if something progresses to a sexual nature (I don't know the laws in your state, but I assume that's the case)

2. For her safety she needs to shut this down. And it's not morally right.

I would be tempted to call the cops but I know you have no legal standing here and you don't want to break the trust factor. But to me this is where you cash some of those chips in. That ain't right in any book.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice and taking the time to read this. It's become my way of venting and helping myself process all this because it's really come out of nowhere. My wife and I never wanted kids and "emotionally adopt a troubled teen" was never on my bingo card for life.

She for sure knows it is illegal to do something. She has at least said/implied there's nothing of that nature happening but also has implied that it could happen. I have never discovered her lying to me yet. She has left things out before knowing that she either wasn't ready to share something yet or because she knew I would have to say something and she didn't want to trigger something bigger. Her family has had CPS and police involved with it her whole life and she's lied to them plenty of times to avoid being placed into foster care so she knows and is very conscious of how that all works.

I've very clearly expressed how I felt. I hate it, it's not safe, I worry about her and care about her, etc. We've had a lot of talks about being safe (she insists she is) and waiting until your mid 20s to have a kid (she agrees that's a good age and that everyone else in her family had kids way too young). I also think she opened up a little about this because she wanted me to convince her this was bad and needed to be shut down. I never flat out told her to stop drinking, but my expressing concern for her safety seems to be what made her want to stop. It's gotten her to reconsider and try to change her vaping and weed habits as well. So while it takes some time to get her head around it, she seems to ultimately come around to making the right decision. I think so much of her destructive behavior before was just that nobody cared about her or what she did, so why should she care? Now that someone cares, it gives her a reason to care. I care a lot and so she now cares a lot.

There was a boy her age this summer who she was talking to. I guess she "dated" him the summer previous. She had told me before that he was bad news. Her aunt mentioned she didn't like him and he wasn't allowed over. Her best friend at the time said he was no good. So when she told me they were talking again and she knew he was bad but also she was infatuated with him and "wanted to see what would happen if they were alone at night", we had a lot of talks about it. I warned her aunt, but again I am not actually her dad. I can't ground her or take her phone. Luckily, after thinking about it a few days and cancelling plans with him a couple times she told me she deleted his Snapchat and blocked him. He seems totally out of the picture now. So I do think she's going to make the right choice. She mentioned that she didn't even like any of these guys like how she did this boy her age and how she could easily just delete them. She also seemed to have maybe had some kind of plan to see one of them on Valentine's Day and told me thought it was better to just stay home and do her homework. So I do actually trust her judgement, I think it's just the process of wanting to do something that you know you can't do and coming to terms with it. Hopefully.

I've warned her guardian. I've told her how I feel. But at this point, unless she tells me something illegal has happened, I don't think the cops really makes sense. What can I say, a 15 year old is talking on social media with people over 18? I don't know if they have ever hung out, what they have talked about, etc. I think this a case where the aunt as the guardian has to handle it (though it sounds like she hasn't even brought it up the 15 year old). I am just doing everything I can in the short time I have to reshape her expectations from males. She definitely seeks their approval because her dad was never around (and hence how quickly she's taken to me as a replacement for her father). Unfortunately, because her family is generally awful, she's drawn to guys who are trash. Her own words, I am the first guy in her life who hasn't left her, hit her or been a perv. So even though she hates all those other guys who've been around her, she's subconsciously drawn to them. We've talked about it, she is aware and knows that seeking to repeat those patterns of abuse is so unhealthy. I just hope it's not too late to redefine how sees her self and the type of relationships she wants to be a part of.

I was going to say boys. Avoid boys.

But skipping straight to "men", if you can call a 20 year old interested in a 15 year old that, wasn't what I had in mind.
Yeah, she has had enough problem with boys her own age. That is for damn sure. I am actually surprised she has any interest in them after all that has happened but yeah grown men...yikes. I for sure talked to her about how would she feel if one of her friends was "talking to" a 6th grader, wouldn't that be absolutely f'd up? And she for sure got that. I think she just likes the attention too. She unfortunately has hardly any real friends because they were mostly all people she did drugs and drank with or people she now realizes are awful people. I am really trying to get her to make some new connections with nicer kids but she's been resistant. Again, all of this would 100x easier if she was actually my kid and lived with me. I could just make her invite over some of the girls she knows who are nice kids. I could take her phone. I could mostly monitor where she goes at night, on the weekends. But I can't really do much but talk with her and trust her. Though I shouldn't really complain because that's worked like gangbusters.

Last edited:
Yeah, you are doing the right things. And you are right - she's a 15 year old girl with hormones and normal teenage girl stuff. And of course a lot of abnormal stuff she has been through.

I admire the hell out of you for giving her a positive male influence. Who knows how it will end up, but it takes a hell of a guy to step up and at least try. And you have certainly made an impact in her life in a positive way.

And heck, as a parent of three teenagers my goal is to raise them the best I can and hope it sticks.

You are doing good things here. Keep it up. Some of it will stick, I promise.

Kudos Ilov80s, not an easy place to be.

Is there a school resource officer or anyone on the police force you are acquainted with? Perhaps they could set up a local internet sting like on To Catch a Predator. The dude wanting to meet up on Valentine's day should be tattled on to the authorities.

Is there a school resource officer or anyone on the police force you are acquainted with? Perhaps they could set up a local internet sting like on To Catch a Predator. The dude wanting to meet up on Valentine's day should be tattled on to the authorities.
Based on what I do for a living, I may have some connections here. @Ilov80s feel free to shoot me a pm because I'd need to know the jurisdiction.

Let your son know it's ok to be smart. Let your son know if he wants to partake in God's Herb there will be plenty of time down the road to do that. Now is not the time. Let your son know you will fully support him in his goals for the future whether or not that involves becoming a doctor. Being smart is something to be proud of even if the cool kids say otherwise. A lot of the cool kids today will be AL Bundy in the future. Ask your son if he wants to peak in high-school or peak in adulthood? Let him know high-school lasts a few years and adulthood lasts a few decades.
I disliked high school for the most part and the reminders/knowledge of the bold is what really kept me going on a good trajectory. It's also pretty true. So, if your son is anything like I was (pretty intelligent, somewhat shy, not popular) this is very good advice.

Based on what I do for a living, I may have some connections here. @Ilov80s feel free to shoot me a pm because I'd need to know the jurisdiction.
Interesting thought. Aren't local police aware this is literally happening everywhere? I can pretty much guarantee in every county across the country there are men talking to underage girls online trying to test the water. I won't even get into the stories she's told me from when she was still living with her mom and was like 10-12 years old. Makes me sick (she was not harmed or anything, but I am guessing she had some close calls and didn't realize it). I could talk to the school resource officer. I just wish I had more info because again, there's nothing illegal about an 18 year old talking to a 15 year old online or even making plans to hang out, still not a crime.

Interesting thought. Aren't local police aware this is literally happening everywhere? I can pretty much guarantee in every county across the country there are men talking to underage girls online trying to test the water. I won't even get into the stories she's told me from when she was still living with her mom and was like 10-12 years old. Makes me sick (she was not harmed or anything, but I am guessing she had some close calls and didn't realize it). I could talk to the school resource officer. I just wish I had more info because again, there's nothing illegal about an 18 year old talking to a 15 year old online or even making plans to hang out, still not a crime.
Yes. And they usually have task forces with undercover detectives working and, sometimes, there are some private watchdog type groups or people who assist law enforcement with these stings.

ETA: Just re-read your post and you indicate they were just talking about hanging out. If there is truly nothing more than that going on (have you seen the exchanges?) then I'd agree that this isn't a law enforcement issue at this time. I generally philosophically oppose setting somebody up, even if doing so falls short of entrapment.

But, like most law enforcement, they're reactionary so reaching out to them (in this case, perhaps a task force) to alert them is generally the only way to draw their attention to a specific suspect or incident.

Last edited:

Yes. And they usually have task forces with undercover detectives working and, sometimes, there are some private watchdog type groups or people who assist law enforcement with these stings.

ETA: Just re-read your post and you indicate they were just talking about hanging out. If there is truly nothing more than that going on (have you seen the exchanges?) then I'd agree that this isn't a law enforcement issue at this time. I generally philosophy oppose setting somebody up, even if doing so falls short of entrapment.

But, like most law enforcement, they're reactionary so reaching out to them (in this case, perhaps a task force) to alert them is generally the only way to draw their attention to a specific suspect or incident.
Gotcha. I will keep this in mind. Thanks.

Reactions: Zow

ETA: Just re-read your post and you indicate they were just talking about hanging out. If there is truly nothing more than that going on (have you seen the exchanges?) then I'd agree that this isn't a law enforcement issue at this time. I generally philosophy oppose setting somebody up, even if doing so falls short of entrapment.

I have not seen the exchanges but I am going to choose to trust her because she's never been anything but honest with me. Even about some pretty bad stuff she's done that got her in trouble. For example in early July, she got drunk and was driving her friends around. She told me even though it ended up with me making her tell her aunt, she got grounded for the rest of the summer. So even when she has made some major mistakes and knows she could get in trouble for it, she's been up front with me. She says she is not in danger, nothing "is happening" but it's complicated. I assume the complicated part is she likes him/them but also knows it's illegal and wrong so she's having trouble figuring it out. I think if she was actually planning on doing something, she never even brings this up to me because she knows she would either have to lie or I would call the cops. There's also the chance it's people she knows from beyond just Snapchat and Snap is just where they communicate. Her 21 year old cousin lives at home with her and he has friends around all the time. It could be something there that was friendly but started to feel like maybe it was something more. I know I said they met on Snap but after thinking about it more, I actually don't know if she said that exactly or I assumed it. I don't get the feeling she's being targeted by predators if that makes sense? I'll probe some more when I see her this week and gauge where it's at. Thanks again for the ear and advice.

So I had a brief follow-up convo and just asked her if she had thought more about the thing that she found so "complicated". She told me's done with them and deleted them off Snap. That's good but of course easy to add them back. She also acted a little weird the next 2 days so that gives me some pause about whether that was the full truth. This past Sunday, my wife and I invited her out for lunch and we picked up a shift (the 15 year old and I volunteer at the Humane Society together). It was kind of last minute but she said she really wanted to and mentioned it would be a good idea because it's better than the plans she had but she didn't want to say what plans she had.

So I still have some suspicions, she's said stuff that I had to pause at and it's stuff she knows I would pick up on. So she's kind of doing the breadcrumb thing, not intentionally hiding but also not wanting to outright discuss it either. But we are getting along great, she's been in a very good mood and is starting to develop a small friend group of really nice, normal kids at school. So I am just going to let it go for a bit and eventually circle back when the timing seems right. She also mentioned that her aunt and aunt's BF are going out drinking for St Pattys and how she really doesn't want to be alone that day. I am not quite sure if it is because she's worried she will drink since that's been a big drinking day for her in the past and/or she's worried some guy will want to make plans with her. But my wife and I are going to offer to see if she will see a movie and have dinner with us. I am hoping she takes us up on that offer.

Ok...thanks again for letting me process here.

Man, the drama never ends with this one. Finished last marking period with a 3.2 GPA after being a 1.3 freshman year. However, now the school is saying she's doing so well that she doesn't qualify for the support she's been getting. She was allowed to access a room in the counseling office where she could work quietly due to her anxiety and mood issues (she doesn't like being around so many kids, obviously has some social-emotional issues). Well she was going down there pretty much every day for 2 classes (she was doing her work and had an A- and B- in the classes). However, admins have told her she abused it and isn't allowed there any more and said besides she is doing so well, she doesn't need it. I get the idea that she does need more exposure to social situations and can't just hide when she is uncomfortable but she's really pushed herself this year in terms of the difficulty of classes she is taking, effort she is putting in, etc. She was being more social, it seemed to be coming along. Well she considers this move by administration a total betrayal. She had a safe place and was being successful so she thinks being just cut off with no warning and no input was totally disrespectful. For a kid who's life has been years of trauma and neglect, this obviously hit her hard. She said she is done with the school and maybe done with school period.

I think I've convinced her to at least just pass her classes so she can change schools next year but she is already skipping class, not doing her work, etc. I am beyond furious and frustrated with the school. Unfortunately, I am not her parent/guardian so I can't do much other than help her plan for next year. The good part is we've found some options that are actually way better. She will be able to take some career classes while working towards her diploma and graduate with a certification for something like medical assistant, ekg tech, etc. and probably be able to get a better job right out of HS so she can get her own place which she needs to be able to do. So long term, maybe for the best. But short term, it's a mess. She said it made her really really want to drink but she was able to hold out and get past that. So that is good but her eating and sleeping are really bad again. Months of worth erased instantly.

However, admins have told her she abused it and isn't allowed there any more and said besides she is doing so well, she doesn't need it.
Why not go with a limited access plan first and make sure that she can handle the transition. Cutting it off cold turkey seems like a terrible idea. I can understand someone from the outside looking in thinking she may be taking advantage of the situation but if there was an objection I would think a limited (lessened) access plan could have been tried to see if that would work.

Seems like an odd drastic change mid stream.

However, admins have told her she abused it and isn't allowed there any more and said besides she is doing so well, she doesn't need it.
Why not go with a limited access plan first and make sure that she can handle the transition. Cutting it off cold turkey seems like a terrible idea. I can understand someone from the outside looking in thinking she may be taking advantage of the situation but if there was an objection I would think a limited (lessened) access plan could have been tried to see if that would work.

Seems like an odd drastic change mid stream.
Yeah, of course. She didn't have a 504 plan (they are meeting now to maybe get one). So technically she was never supposed to be getting that support but I think a counselor or someone felt bad for her and was trying to throw her a bone. Then other counselors saw it and felt like the kid was taking advantage and didn't belong, was taking resources/space from kids who did have a plan, etc. Sounds like it was an administrator who made the call. A cut and dry "no plan, not allowed". I obviously am trying to piece together fragments of info. There is probably something else to it that I am not hearing. I am going to take the day off to attend the 504 meeting so hopefully that will set things straight (I work in education so I know what this process should be and know what to say). However, I am pretty disappointed with how the school is run and it's not the first time. My only real worry now is for the 15 year old to rebound, not let this BS get her off her path and plan to come back better for next year. I think it is a blessing in disguise but for a trauma kid, that long term payoff is hard to see.

It for sure seems like the universe often conspires against her. Every time things seem to be going smooth, something totally unnecessary happens to knock her off her spot and usually it's from a place that would think would be there to protect her: mom, best friend, school, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread