What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tennis: Australian Open - Who opens the new season with a bang (2 Viewers)

and I hadn't seen him hang up on anybody, which is lame and worse- stupid.

forget I wrote anything on this... these are not the droids you are looking for.

A 36-yr-old legend seriously mocking a 20-yr-old kid? What a dbag.
Kinda richardish but could also argue Shelton shouldn't have done the initial thing.

I disagree with most on this. Shelton has been "hanging up the phone" after wins throughout the tournament (and in other tournaments). As mentioned it was most obvious after he won the quarter. It was taunting and dooshish. Novak just sent him a message. Glad he did. Novak was cold on the handshake and didn't applaud Ben's exit. Clearly sending a message. A good one, I think.
Well my view is that "hanging up the phone" is not necessary and is sorta dumb to begin with, but whatever not the biggest deal in the world.

Any chance we can get another song heading into commercial breaks instead of this awful remix of Fatboy Slim's "Praise You"? It's getting on my nerves to levels of the Skyrizi "Nothing is everythiiiiing" jingle 🙉

has Med been returning Al's serve from the parking lot all match? I just turned it on (stupid Spectrum squabbling with Disney/ESPN and not showing it on tv)

The replies are gold. Full of uptight better than thou's with their "stay classy" type of comments.
Part of why so many people favor Fed over the others... because he's "classy" and didn't do all of that. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to who say exactly that.

Did you see Shelton's response to being asked about Jokers phone hang up?
He didn't seem to mind. And Novak seemed to "like" the celebration (while also sending a message)

“You know, I don't like when I'm on social media and I see people telling me how I can celebrate or can't celebrate. You know, I think if you win the match, you deserve to do whatever you want.

“As a kid growing up, I always learned that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so that's all I have to say about that.”

Yep.

And the comments from your previous link... maybe it's just my mood this morning, but it was hard not to see the undercurrent of racism dripping through those equating the "NBA style celebrations" to a man of color and lacking class

Yep.

And the comments from your previous link... maybe it's just my mood this morning, but it was hard not to see the undercurrent of racism dripping through those equating the "NBA style celebrations" to a man of color and lacking class
Johnny Mac was a "villain" for his antics but people loved (and love) him just the same. There's certainly a segment of people who loathe open celebrations for one reason or another but I feel they're likely the vocal minority. Me, I say bring it on as long as you're not showing up your opponent or being vile (like crotch grabbing next to a princess).

Coco and Saba at 4 today.

I mentioned that Floppinha was part of Coco's 1st New Balance release- participated in the "show" and was part of a Q/A panel afterwards- which she was super excited about, but then disappointed to find that it was only the professional interveiwer asking questions (floppinha had a couple good beginner tennis questions ready). Got to meet her, get a signed tennis ball... and became a fan, wihtout ever seeing her play.

we've still hardly watched her- just followed her results.

that last round match was the most we've seen of her... and- oof. not much game, based on that. I'd heard her forehand was a weakness, but also heard she'd improved it. not based on what I saw- soft, weak top spinners to the service line and rarely deep...plus a weird, choppy slice on the forehand that also would go short more often that not. Solid backhand. Decent, but nothing earthshattering serve. her strength seems to be her mobility?

I don't see what's making her top 10, tbh. anybody know more about her game?

I've watched more of Saba- including that practice at the beginning of the open this year. Her game strikes me as champion material- big hitter, big server with more than enough touch and mobility to get to and play most every shot she needs to. her weakness, from what I've seen, is that she can switch off and fall apart... but otherwise, seems to have much more game than Coco.

Yep.

Johnny Mac was a "villain" for his antics but people loved (and love) him just the same. There's certainly a segment of people who loathe open celebrations for one reason or another but I feel they're likely the vocal minority. Me, I say bring it on as long as you're not showing up your opponent or being vile (like crotch grabbing next to a princess).
I thought of Johnny Mac. I guess the difference is he was known for yelling in more of a negative way- complaining about calls mostly. I don't remember him yelling at opponents as much as judges... right?

these guys are getting criticized for celebrating their own points and wins- celebrations that were inwardly directed, not at a judge or opponent (I have more of a problem with the latter- although am all for standing up for yourself)

Yep.

I thought of Johnny Mac. I guess the difference is he was known for yelling in more of a negative way- complaining about calls mostly. I don't remember him yelling at opponents as much as judges... right?

these guys are getting criticized for celebrating their own points and wins- celebrations that were inwardly directed, not at a judge or opponent (I have more of a problem with the latter- although am all for standing up for yourself)
Yeah JM would just lose it at times but it was directed at chair umps/line judges (mostly). Sometimes it seemed over the top and he definitely crossed the line more than once.

The replies are gold. Full of uptight better than thou's with their "stay classy" type of comments.
Part of why so many people favor Fed over the others... because he's "classy" and didn't do all of that. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to who say exactly that.

Did you see Shelton's response to being asked about Jokers phone hang up?
That's because people remember what they want to remember. Fed had his share of bad moments but since he was the biggest fan favorite there was less reason to talk about it. Fed in 2011 vs Novak about the 15-40 point at the US Open called it lucky and ripped Novak for trying the shot. 2009 US Open final vs Del Potro he was fined for swearing at the umpire. He's had other outbursts or racket breaks that if Novak does is what makes him a villain.

The problem with Novak isn't hanging up the phone or anything like that, it's simply two huge fan favorites fanbases never wanted to see him pass their guy and will take anything he does to make it villainous. Lets not pretend that every person that celebrates like this or taunts opponents has been cast as a villain as plenty of fan favorites have done plenty of things to the delight of the sports community as a whole. Steph Curry is one of the most popular NBA players and has no issue doing his Night Night to the home crowd while on the road.

I just expect a 36-yr-old to be more mature than a 20-yr-old.

Maybe I’m just coming off coaching a baseball game and am too emotional. Older kids have to be better.

Yep.

Connors was the over-celebrating D-bag imo. Mac was the complaining, screaming a-hole to the officials. What a time to be alive that was.

I mentioned that Floppinha was part of Coco's 1st New Balance release- participated in the "show" and was part of a Q/A panel afterwards- which she was super excited about, but then disappointed to find that it was only the professional interveiwer asking questions (floppinha had a couple good beginner tennis questions ready). Got to meet her, get a signed tennis ball... and became a fan, wihtout ever seeing her play.

that last round match was the most we've seen of her... and- oof. not much game, based on that. I'd heard her forehand was a weakness, but also heard she'd improved it. not based on what I saw- soft, weak top spinners to the service line and rarely deep...plus a weird, choppy slice on the forehand that also would go short more often that not. Solid backhand. Decent, but nothing earthshattering serve. her strength seems to be her mobility?

I've watched more of Saba- including that practice at the beginning of the open this year. Her game strikes me as champion material- big hitter, big server with more than enough touch and mobility to get to and play most every shot she needs to. her weakness, from what I've seen, is that she can switch off and fall apart... but otherwise, seems to have much more game than Coco.

Coco's pretty fast and can get to balls a lot of women can't. She has a decent first serve and really really good 2nd serve imo...like 2nd serve is more aggressive than most every other WTA player. Also she's the only compelling American female so probably gets a bit more attention than she otherwise would, but that obviously does not impact her ranking.

Coco's pretty fast and can get to balls a lot of women can't. She has a decent first serve and really really good 2nd serve imo...like 2nd serve is more aggressive than most every other WTA player. Also she's the only compelling American female so probably gets a bit more attention than she otherwise would, but that obviously does not impact her ranking.
Thanks!

I'll keep an eye on her 2nd serve.

Just struck me last match that it was the other woman dictating points and being the aggressor more than Coco, who just seemed to be about keeping the ball in play. I prefer that style of play (floppinha is that style, even if she lacks the experience and consistency now to make it pay off for her). Other woman hitting it deeper with better angles, taking that advantage on most points but then making unforced errors. I watched her play the previous match and she was lights out doing the same thing but without the errors. Not sure how Coco could hang with that given what I saw from Coco this last match.

I'm rooting hard for Coco against Saba, but imo the only thing keeping Saba from winning will be Saba. If she plays how I've seen her play and doesn't sink into one of her usual disaster zones, it should be straight sets for Saba.

My 2 cents:

I have no problem with having a signature celebration.
I have no problem when your signature celebration is mocked.
Novak is most certainly a douche at times.
I think Novak likes being a douche at times.
I like that he seems like an honest, thoughtful but sometimes arrogant person.
Reminds a lot of Aaron Rodgers who I also like.

Is players screaming at themselves and their box relatively new? Did McEnroe ever yell at himself?

I love a good Andy Murray tirade.

Thanks!

I'll keep an eye on her 2nd serve.

Just struck me last match that it was the other woman dictating points and being the aggressor more than Coco, who just seemed to be about keeping the ball in play. I prefer that style of play (floppinha is that style, even if she lacks the experience and consistency now to make it pay off for her). Other woman hitting it deeper with better angles, taking that advantage on most points but then making unforced errors. I watched her play the previous match and she was lights out doing the same thing but without the errors. Not sure how Coco could hang with that given what I saw from Coco this last match.

I'm rooting hard for Coco against Saba, but imo the only thing keeping Saba from winning will be Saba. If she plays how I've seen her play and doesn't sink into one of her usual disaster zones, it should be straight sets for Saba.
Yep, she is able to get to balls most can't, keeps the ball in play with serves and returns, and makes fewer mistakes than her opponents. That recipe has led to more and more wins for her.

Yep.

Connors was the over-celebrating D-bag imo. Mac was the complaining, screaming a-hole to the officials. What a time to be alive that was.
Everyone loved the golden boy Connors though. He could do no wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread