What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (1 Viewer)

Surprised to not see Emanuel Sanders visiting or linked to the team. With the Smith release, they have 11 mill or so in cap room, more than enough to sign him to a nice deal.
Sanders is getting a lot of demand right now. He's everywhere. Would rather have him to build around than Nicks. He's pretty young and we could sign him for more than one year. He could fill in as a #2 type and hey, HE HAS AN ACTUAL NFL CATCH!!!!
Exactly. Nicks is fool's gold IMO. I still like the value of signing James Jones, but Sanders would be a much better signing than Nicks.

Surprised to not see Emanuel Sanders visiting or linked to the team. With the Smith release, they have 11 mill or so in cap room, more than enough to sign him to a nice deal.
Sanders is getting a lot of demand right now. He's everywhere. Would rather have him to build around than Nicks. He's pretty young and we could sign him for more than one year. He could fill in as a #2 type and hey, HE HAS AN ACTUAL NFL CATCH!!!!
Exactly. Nicks is fool's gold IMO. I still like the value of signing James Jones, but Sanders would be a much better signing than Nicks.
Fool's gold might be right. It very well be a "circa" signing.

Jones would also command a healthy sum given the pedigree and he's had health issues, that, given our limited amount of spending dollars, might not be the bang for the buck we need. Plus, he's 30ish or so and would decline.

For the money, give me Sanders who we could have around for a few years as a WR core building block "LIGHT" for the money. Of course, he's collecting every offer in the league right now to drive up his value. We may not get the bargain we'd need for a signing.

That Gman hasn't inked a dude yet tells me we're taking the same approach as last year, let the market settle and look for value. That has gotta be the plan.

Maybe we'll get a "value" :rolleyes: in Lafell since he was back in town after not getting inked by NE, another value oriented team.

This just in from Pro Football Talk:

Emmanuel Sanders will head to San Francisco nextPosted by Josh Alper on March 14, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
4236abf371a7a6404ff9f576cb9c5d5b-e1394824133429.jpeg
Getty ImagesWide receiver Emmanuel Sanders‘ tour of NFL teams stopped at the Chiefs on Friday and it is set to continue over the weekend.

Multiple reports indicate Sanders will travel to San Francisco for a visit with the 49ers as long as he doesn’t reach a deal with the Chiefs or another one of the teams he’s visited since the start of free agency. Sanders, No. 39 on PFT’s list of the top 100 free agents, has also paid visits to the Buccaneers and Jaguars.

The 49ers have re-signed Anquan Boldin to go with Michael Crabtree,Quinton Patton and Jon Baldwin at wide receiver, but the team’s making it fairly clear that they want more at the position before the start of next season. They’re visiting with Julian Edelman and there’s been talk of interest inHakeem Nicks as well. It may just turn out to be a question of which target says yes to the 49ers’ offer first.

Whether that’s Sanders will likely have to do with what the other teams on his spin around the league are offering. The Jets are also reportedly interested in Sanders’ services, though there’s no known date for a visit.

Englishteacher said:
cstu said:
Englishteacher said:
massraider said:
Fool's gold might be right. It very well be a "circa" signing.

Jones would also command a healthy sum given the pedigree and he's had health issues, that, given our limited amount of spending dollars, might not be the bang for the buck we need. Plus, he's 30ish or so and would decline.

For the money, give me Sanders who we could have around for a few years as a WR core building block "LIGHT" for the money. Of course, he's collecting every offer in the league right now to drive up his value. We may not get the bargain we'd need for a signing.

That Gman hasn't inked a dude yet tells me we're taking the same approach as last year, let the market settle and look for value. That has gotta be the plan.

Maybe we'll get a "value" :rolleyes: in Lafell since he was back in town after not getting inked by NE, another value oriented team.
Sanders seems like he's going to get around $6M a year or so, but Jones would be around $3M. Of course Sanders is younger but I'm not convinced he's any better.

Jones just turned 30 - the same age as Brandon Marshall - and I think he can be effective for few years while the rookies they draft develop.

What about taking a shot on Kenny Britt? Any noise from Carolina?
Trash.He caught 33% of his passes in a contract year.
He did have some horrible drops this year, but honestly... dude is a playmaker. The coaches had a BIG problem with Britt, as did Britt towards them. He is easily the #1 WR on a team like Oak, Mia, Car.

I would LOVE to see him in Carolina, alongside one of the TOP rookie WRs in the draft!

Nicks is a Colt.

Agree that Britt would be best in St. Louis. Britt, Bailey and Austin has potential there which I think Fisher would like.

Sanders makes sense in Carolina, but they'll need a #1 from this rookie class.

NCCommish said:
Smitty 3 year deal with Ravens. Sucks to even type that.
He'll get mad at Flacco and stir up something by mid-season.

All these FA signings and we seem to be sitting on our thumbs.

NCCommish said:
Smitty 3 year deal with Ravens. Sucks to even type that.
He'll get mad at Flacco and stir up something by mid-season.

All these FA signings and we seem to be sitting on our thumbs.
Now Nicks took a one year deal at Indy. Worth up to 5.5 million. Meaning it is heavily incentivized on playing time probably. I wonder just how much the Smith thing influenced that? No one else on the team too throw to why do I want to be getting triple teamed every play?

Starting to get worried here. Car has lost their best Olineman, best DB and all their WRs. This team was 12-4 but it won't look remotely the same. These are a bit too many holes to close in the draft and a 12-4 team shouldn't be depending on the draft that much.

James Jones, Miles Austin, Lance Moore, Sidney Rice are out there too. They aren't young, but are proven and with injury concerns. A 1 year incentive laden prove it deal could get one if they want to go that route. Definitely need to draft a guy that could become a #1.

Emmanuel Sanders has screws in both feet and hasn't been signed because of injury and durability concerns. If he has been offered a contract it probably hasn't been worth as much as he is wanting. He is circling the States trying to find a home.

I'd take James Jones, Lance Moore, and Sanders on reasonable contracts and then 1st or 2nd round WR and another in the 4th.

Roman Harper signed. Not a great pass coverage guy but good in the box and not a bad blitzer. Also signed what appears to be a blocking tight end in Mitchell. Rumor mill running heavy with talk of resigning Lafell.

Keeping LaFell would be a win if you ask me. I know he's a hated guy around here bit he's not that bad and at least understands the offense.

I am going to enjoy watch the one idiot in every draft who will reach for Scam Newton again. This is going to be worse than Brady this past year. The dude is going to get crucified for not being able to move the ball. But this is exactly what happens when you keep spending tons of $$ and draft picks on freaking RBs when teams around the league start the Mike James and Zac Stacys of the world and do fine. I still do not understand why DeAngelo and Stewart are paid so much....just cut them and get a 3rd round or 4th round RB in this deep draft and start him.

I've enjoyed watching Panther football because that is my local market, but this offseason is shameful. Enjoy mediocrity because that where this team is headed once again. Right as it looks like things might be on track.

Holmes or James Jones aren't your saviors. There is no way this team can start the 2014 off with a bang. WTH is going on here?!?

Roman Harper signed. Not a great pass coverage guy but good in the box and not a bad blitzer. Also signed what appears to be a blocking tight end in Mitchell. Rumor mill running heavy with talk of resigning Lafell.
Houston, we have a Safety.
Is he a safety? That's something you may question later, he was used more as a quasi-LB in three safety sets by Ryan last year.

I think the final moment for Saints fans was when he fell down right in front of Cooper in the end zone vs the Eagles.

Houston, we have a Safety.
Is he a safety? That's something you may question later, he was used more as a quasi-LB in three safety sets by Ryan last year.

I think the final moment for Saints fans was when he fell down right in front of Cooper in the end zone vs the Eagles.
Yeah, that was a poor signing IMO. Harper is a glorified LB playing S... And Car already has the best LBs in the NFL. It's guys who can cover they are void of.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
LaFell's gone, signed by Pats.

Jones is the last of the at least mid-quality WRs out there.

If that fails, then what are you looking at?
If Jones signs there he better ask for the world because it's a dead end job. He's not that good and neither is cam.

James Jones, Miles Austin, Lance Moore, Sidney Rice are out there too. They aren't young, but are proven and with injury concerns. A 1 year incentive laden prove it deal could get one if they want to go that route. Definitely need to draft a guy that could become a #1.
Probably should sign a few of these guys because they're going to need to draft a replacement for Gross first. Cam can probably get by with scrubs at WR (he really hasn't had much talent there to work with so far), but he is going to need to be kept upright.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably should sign a few of these guys because they're going to need to draft a replacement for Gross first. Cam can probably get by with scrubs at WR (he really hasn't had much talent there to work with so far), but he is going to need to be kept upright.
As far down as Car is picking it will depend on who's available. I think they should take the BPA at oline or WR. Based on mocks and the talent pool I'm guessing that will net them a WR.

how does the carolina fans perceive their lack of moves and maybe there draft strategies? I can't remember the last time I have seen a team let go there top 4 wrs and lose value at other positions and not really make one fa signing to booster their depleted position. Your coach is definitely considered one of the better around the league. I'm just dumbfounded. Maybe their faith in this wr class is high but how many can they fill these holes with. It takes about two to three years to become a productive nfl receiver so wtf is going on in Carolina!! someone help me understand?

Last edited by a moderator:
What about taking a shot on Kenny Britt? Any noise from Carolina?
Trash.He caught 33% of his passes in a contract year.
He did have some horrible drops this year, but honestly... dude is a playmaker. The coaches had a BIG problem with Britt, as did Britt towards them. He is easily the #1 WR on a team like Oak, Mia, Car.

I would LOVE to see him in Carolina, alongside one of the TOP rookie WRs in the draft!
Dude, stop pimping your FF team. You did the same thing in the Trent Richardson thread. Just because bad players are on your teams is no reason to muck up some good discussions.

James Jones said he would love to play with Cam. Panthers what are you waiting for????
Probably his asking price to hit rock bottom given how poor we are.
Let's just sign him. There is so little left. Just sign every FA WR left with a pulse at this point to a non-guaranteed contract and bring them all in.

This off season has been about as bad as I can remember. So many potentially decent players at holes are signing reasonable contracts elsewhere. What is our current cap space situation? Are we in such bad shape that we literally can't sign anyone for anything above the league minimum?

James Jones said he would love to play with Cam. Panthers what are you waiting for????
Let's just sign him. There is so little left. Just sign every FA WR left with a pulse at this point to a non-guaranteed contract and bring them all in.

This off season has been about as bad as I can remember. So many potentially decent players at holes are signing reasonable contracts elsewhere. What is our current cap space situation? Are we in such bad shape that we literally can't sign anyone for anything above the league minimum?
I'm not sure what current dougn we have right now. Generally not a cap guy. But, it's not much when you consider we're going to have draft picks to sign as well.

I agree on signing guys now. We've got to get ANYONE who can play. Right now, we have zilch and there's not much left. I think JOnes is the top ranked WR on the market and he's 30. Cotch is 32.

I'm not sure what current dougn we have right now. Generally not a cap guy. But, it's not much when you consider we're going to have draft picks to sign as well.

I agree on signing guys now. We've got to get ANYONE who can play. Right now, we have zilch and there's not much left. I think JOnes is the top ranked WR on the market and he's 30. Cotch is 32.
It'd be the geriatric mediocrity WR ward. They'll have walkers.

It'd be the geriatric mediocrity WR ward. They'll have walkers.
I'd rather have a bunch of old guys who have played in the NFL before than depend on rookie FAs to fill out the WRs. We all know they are most likely taking a WR at 1.28, at least I hope they do because based on the mocks/ratings, that seems like a position that will be the BPA and fill a hole. OL look like reaches at 1.28.

Look at the Pats last year. They lost Welker, Hernandez and Gronk was a question mark. They had a bunch of spots to fill and at least signed Amendola and still had Edelman, so more than we have now. They drafted Boyce (2nd), Dobson (4th) and Thompkins (rookie FA) and got a total of 78 receptions from them even with Gronk only getting 39 receptions and Amendola getting 54. There is a reason Edelman had 105 receptions. It wasn't because he is so good that he rose to the top, it was because none of the rookies really stepped up to be the guy when Amendola didn't. Brady struggled a lot at the beginning of the season with Gronk out.

The Panthers are in a bad spot at WR, they have less than Edelman and some might say there isn't even an Amendola left in the free agents. They need some bodies, not just rookies. That said, grabbing the "right" guy at 1.28 could go a long way to curing the problem. Grabbing the wrong guy at 1.28 could be a disaster for the offense. Smith, LaFell and Ginn weren't world beaters last year, but they were something and it is clear they weren't enough.

I'm a newton fan and also football analysist from a fans perspective. It's has been interesting to see the lack of moves and the amount of loss at that wr position I agree but Jones and Cotchery might be a short bandaid they are no more than situational wrs they will not command double coverage or beat many corners in man coverage. I hope they really can draft some quality guys or move up and get the likes of Evans or even something crazy like Watkins but I'm getting tired of waiting

I know I was cynical about Jones and Cotchery but truly I'd love to have them right now. They are vets and we have nothing. Money says we get one of the two at least. I hope so.

Jones and/or Cotchery would be good signings IMO. Cotchery may be the better value. But I'd rather have either of them ahead of S. Holmes. Anything should help. Our number 1 WR last season had, what, 4 TDs?

Users who are viewing this thread