What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The FFA discussing NFL so we don't have to go to Shark Pool thread (2 Viewers)

What's with the Denver fans booing? You bastards don't get to boo. Follow someone like the Bears for a while then you can boo.

Shame to see Peyton go down like this, his arm is shot. Weird seeing Luck taking down Peyton, but it looks like Luck's time has come over the legend he replaced.

Ilov80s said:
That's my big question in all of this. It makes sense on a catch that's made while diving. But when a player catches the ball and lands on their feet, how is it determined if the player is still in the process of catching the ball? A football move? Why isn't jumping up and landing on your feet and then taking steps considered football moves?
As long as they aren't going to the ground while making the catch, they have to control it all the way through. If they make a catch and then run i believe that constitutes a "football move".

That's how I understand it

Ilov80s said:
That's my big question in all of this. It makes sense on a catch that's made while diving. But when a player catches the ball and lands on their feet, how is it determined if the player is still in the process of catching the ball? A football move? Why isn't jumping up and landing on your feet and then taking steps considered football moves?
As long as they aren't going to the ground while making the catch, they have to control it all the way through. If they make a catch and then run i believe that constitutes a "football move".That's how I understand it
You mean as long as they are going to the ground they have to maintain control. My question is with a play like this where the ball is caught in the air and the guy lands on hit feet. He wasn't going to the ground to catch the ball. He caught it, landed, took a step towards the endzone, got his leg fangled with the DB, took another step, while falling he dives forward, braces himself on the ground with one hand and lunges his shoulder forward to get the ball closer to the GL. He did not go to the ground to catch the ball. He went up and and was tripped after he tried to run with it.

Ilov80s said:
As long as they aren't going to the ground while making the catch, they have to control it all the way through. If they make a catch and then run i believe that constitutes a "football move".That's how I understand it
You mean as long as they are going to the ground they have to maintain control. My question is with a play like this where the ball is caught in the air and the guy lands on hit feet. He wasn't going to the ground to catch the ball. He caught it, landed, took a step towards the endzone, got his leg fangled with the DB, took another step, while falling he dives forward, braces himself on the ground with one hand and lunges his shoulder forward to get the ball closer to the GL. He did not go to the ground to catch the ball. He went up and and was tripped after he tried to run with it.
:fishy:

Nope not going there.

Carry on

It's only a matter of time before somebody spoofs the domestic violence ads with speechless fans reacting to the calls on the field, right?

Shame to see Peyton go down like this, his arm is shot. Weird seeing Luck taking down Peyton, but it looks like Luck's time has come over the legend he replaced.
Peyton Manning = James Bond.

4 years back, things aren't looking so good for Peyton's health and chances of winning a Superbowl with the Colts. He and the masterminds at Colts HQ came up with a 2 part plan to get the Colts to the Superbowl.

Part 1 was the easy part- tank a year and secure the heir to Peyton's throne, while at the same time securing Manning's safe passage to the Broncos where he would act as a double agent.

Part 2- make your time with the Broncos and wait for the call, which he got Saturday night: "Peyton, the plan is a go. Get the Colts to the AFC championship."

Let me be the first to say I've got nothing but the utmost respect for Peyton. The foresight to concoct this plan 4-5 years in advance, the constitution to remain true to the Colts and not be comprimised by the ever charasmatic John Elway, and the patience to make stupid Papa John's commercials for years, not knowing whether you'd ever get that call or not.

It's admirable.

Peyton Manning = James Bond.

4 years back, things aren't looking so good for Peyton's health and chances of winning a Superbowl with the Colts. He and the masterminds at Colts HQ came up with a 2 part plan to get the Colts to the Superbowl.

Part 1 was the easy part- tank a year and secure the heir to Peyton's throne, while at the same time securing Manning's safe passage to the Broncos where he would act as a double agent.

Part 2- make your time with the Broncos and wait for the call, which he got Saturday night: "Peyton, the plan is a go. Get the Colts to the AFC championship."

Let me be the first to say I've got nothing but the utmost respect for Peyton. The foresight to concoct this plan 4-5 years in advance, the constitution to remain true to the Colts and not be comprimised by the ever charasmatic John Elway, and the patience to make stupid Papa John's commercials for years, not knowing whether you'd ever get that call or not.

It's admirable.
He even designed the newest Papa John ad where he successfully made the great Joe Montana look like even a bigger dork than Peyton.

Interesting article about BB in today's WSJ: The author compares BB to Alex Trebek; the article's description reminded me more of Kingsfield.

Bill Belichick: The NFL’s Scary Alex Trebek New England’s Preparation Is a Result of Its Coach’s Constant Pop-Quizzes; ‘Meet Me in My Office’By

Kevin Clark andKevin Clark
The Wall Street Journal
Daniel Barbarisi
Updated Jan. 13, 2015 6:48 p.m. ET56 COMMENTS
Quick, Bill Belichick has a few questions for you: Describe the third player from the left on the Indianapolis Colts’ kickoff coverage team. Is he fast? Is he strong enough to run you over? Where did he play in college?

Whoops, you took too long to answer. Belichick is now angry at you.

This is daily life for any member of the New England Patriots, who are heavy favorites to beat the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Championship game on Sunday. The Patriots are widely considered the most prepared and well-coached players in the NFL, but that level of preparation comes at a cost. They must be ready, at any moment, for the NFL’s version of Alex Trebek: The quiz master Belichick.

“I would hate to walk by him in a hallway on a Thursday if I was unprepared,” said Heath Evans, a former Patriots fullback who is now an analyst for the NFL Network.

“He’s stopping and asking me about a player on special teams. ‘Can he wiggle? Who did he match up against last week on kickoffs and how did he win that matchup?’ There’s no limit to the knowledge Bill expects you to have on an opponent and the craziest part is he has the answers to all of it.”

Team meetings in the NFL are always deep dives into the schemes and personnel of the upcoming opponent. Coaches study game film and detail formations or tendencies they expect to see that Sunday. But according to current and former Patriot players, no one commands a depth of knowledge quite like Belichick, who has a habit of blurting out obscure yet crucial questions. These typically come in midweek meetings, but they can happen anywhere in the team facility on any day.

The questions can be things that are noticed on film—like a subtle trait of an opponent—or they can be biographical, like when an opposing player joined the team or what his background is.

The variety and seemingly random nature of the questions can cause a degree of panic in the locker room. You will find Patriots hunched over internet browsers, scouring for information on anything and everything. “You just have to Wikipedia, Google, SportsCenter, use your ESPN app, something. You do what you’ve got to do,” said cornerback Kyle Arrington.

There’s a hint of psychological warfare to the trivia contests. According to players, if a younger member of the team offers an answer, Belichick will often ask a studious veteran if that player is correct. Evans particularly remembers Belichick doing this with star quarterback Tom Brady and then-backup Matt Cassel. As Evans tells it, Belichick would ask a detailed question: “Hey, we’re in the high red zone, it’s second-and-six from the 18. What’s Indianapolis’ favorite blitz?” Cassel would answer “overloading the weak side.” Then Belichick would turn to Brady and ask “do you concur?” On the times Brady said the backup was incorrect, the room would erupt with laughter.

This happened often between veterans and younger players. If the younger player was wrong, Belichick would tell him: “You need to meet me in my office tomorrow morning to study,” Evans said. “He would kind of turn players against each other.”

Defensive back Tavon Wilson said that Belichick can also turn the tables and ask younger players if the veterans are right. “He tries to find different ways for us to answer the questions.”

While a wrong answer can lead to laughter in a meeting room, make no mistake, players say: It’s a miserable experience for the player who was incorrect.

“It’s a chill silence for a few seconds. Bone chilling, at that,” Arrington said. “If he doesn’t move on from there, and he’s just looking at you, oh yeah, it’s pretty awkward.”

Players say the quizzes are vital when on they are on the field. Veterans who have played for multiple teams said the questions, and the anxiety that comes with being unprepared, contribute to a team that studies harder than just about anyone.

“Sometimes he’ll hit you with a couple real tough questions. But you’ve got to know that. And it’s not him just asking questions— it’s him trying to depend on us, us showing that we know what’s going on,” said safety Patrick Chung. “It keeps our minds going, it’s a daily thing... if you can anticipate certain things, or you know the game plan inside out, it makes it a lot easier to play fast. If you’re thinking about stuff, it’s impossible to play fast.”

The attention to detail in Belichick’s questions are the stuff of legend. McLeod Bethel-Thompson was a practice squad quarterback for just a few days early this season.

He said he was mostly an afterthought in a room with Brady and other players who could get playing time. But he said the coach would want to know very specific things about his role on the practice squad, which is limited to imitating opposing quarterbacks. Belichick seemed interested in the psychology of the opposing quarterback and wanted the practice squad quarterback to think the same way. “He’d challenge you—why’d you make that throw? Why’d you attack [Patriots cornerback Darrelle] Revis—would the opposing quarterback challenge Revis?” Bethel-Thompson said.

“Everything he does to train the mind of the athlete is perfect,” Evans said. “When guys get there they either buy in immediately or they are so overwhelmed that they want out.”

Non of these coaching hires make any sense to me. The 49ers are morons, the Bills are going to hate Rex in about 20 minutes and the Jets got a great guy it appears but can he really get an offense there? As for the Raiders...... I like Jack Del Rio. I wouldn't want him to coach my team though.

The only thing I know about Jack Del Rio is this tweet:

@PFTCommenter: Jack Del Rio name literaly means "masterbate into a river"

Did they explain why the personal foul on the SEA lineman wasn't added to the sack yardage? I thought personal fouls were always enforced. I don't recall ever seeing one declined like that.

Did they explain why the personal foul on the SEA lineman wasn't added to the sack yardage? I thought personal fouls were always enforced. I don't recall ever seeing one declined like that.
Makes no since. It was even a dead ball foul. Should have been automatic.

This second game is horrible. How did Indy get here?
I'm not sure, but Dentist has to be beside himself with these results and his position on playoffs etc. Hope he's ok.
Both #1 seeds made it, I can get behind that, but the first game was absolutely terrible. Nothing worse than a sloppy, game ultimately determined by a few weird bounces and fluke plays

Question: Why do we (sports fans) insist on measuring individual greatness with team metrics? I don't get it.
Because the ultimate goal of a team game is team success. Comparing Dan Marino, Troy Aikman & Trent Dilfer without including SB wins would just be silly.

Makes no since. It was even a dead ball foul. Should have been automatic.
I haven't heard anyone talk about that play. It would have made it 3rd and 37. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you hate the Shark Pool?
I like the Bucs thread.
And I like the Panther thread....that's about it. The rest is just :hophead: and trying to state opinions as fact.
Must be nice to have a team thread that's 'bear'able
We get the occasional honk that comes by. Usually a Seahawk fan or Cam hater, but for the most part it's just us pissing and moaning amongst ourselves with the occasional "you're being too negative" rah rah guy. It all gets balanced out.

Apparently the explanation on the personal foul call was that it was not a dead ball foul. They said it was a judgment call and the ref decided it happened during the play. But what difference does that make?

A horse-collar call is during the play and it is an additional 15 yards to the end of the run. Why wouldn't they go back to the line of scrimmage and mark off 15 and/or give the offense a chance to decline it if the run was longer than 15 yards?

How is an off sides call on a kickoff an added 5 yards to the end of the run and a personal foul is either or?

Users who are viewing this thread