What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ONE sporting event/moment you'll never forgive (1 Viewer)

Think the title is pretty self explanatory...

Anyways, it really hit me yesterday, for no reason at all, that I far too often think about one sporting event that makes my blood boil. It's truly odd because 1) I was never a big fan of said player (but appreciated his greatness) and 2) never liked a team he played on until he came to my "hometown" team, but was pretty washed by then.

For some reason, and I've lived some insane sporting moments with clubs I support, this event sticks out to me and irks me to my core.

Terrel Owens HoF snubbing.

The NFL can eat a bag of soggy chips for eternity over this one - And you?
You a Browns fan, and this is the sporting event that sticks with you?
I figured the Byner fumble or The Drive....but that?

Just hand the damn ball off to Marshawn!😢!
What made it even worse was the pass play chosen.
You never force a pass into the middle of the field on 2nd down with time for a couple plays left.
A safe pass to the corner of the end zone where it can't get picked would have been forgivable.
Worst play call I've ever seen in decades of the NFL.
If they had handed it off to Marshawn Lynch, on that play or even the next one, Seattle would have almost certainly won consecutive Super Bowls, a franchise-changing moment.

My lifelong favorite NFL team blowing a second consecutive Super Bowl on a play like that will never be topped as an unforgivable sports moment for me.

tl:dr Francisco Cabrera

Who we are and whatever particular situation we find ourselves in is a result of the sum of our life’s experience. Our paths have led us here, to this moment, on this board, with those around us. For my part, I think it’s all been for the best. None of us appears to be completely destitute. Or being chased by a bear. Or on fire. Like with the butterfly effect, all of our happenings have had an impact that have let us to this spot.

And yet, it seems that some moments seem to bring about bigger turns in the path. In my case, I unexpectedly lost my mom when I was in the ninth grade. Being a mama’s boy, and suddenly finding myself alone with just my dad—that was terrifying.

After all, he was the enforcer. He was the one who worked all day. He was the one who graduated from the Naval Academy, and applied the principles and habits he learned there like a religion. He was charismatic yes, but he had a low tolerance for the ******** I produced a healthy amount of at 14.

The first couple of months were pretty rocky. It turned out we really didn’t know each other all that well, and, let’s just say we have different approaches to life. We couldn’t relate to each other. We didn’t get along. We were lost.

But then we met Francisco.

Let me back up a bit. I should have mentioned that we were both huge Atlanta Braves fans. So that was something. Yes, we suffered through the 80s when they were god-awful. We watched with a mix of hope and a sense of impending doom when they actually got good, won the division, and made the postseason.

The NLCS was quite a roller coaster. By its last night, the series with Pittsburgh
was tied at 3 to 3, and the two teams found themselves facing off in a final game to decide who would represent the national league in that year’s World Series, which the Braves hadn’t had so much as a whiff of since the late 1950s.

This night, though, fate seemed against us. Atlanta looked bad. They couldn’t break through and found themselves getting shut out by a team with Doug Drabek, Bobby Bonilla, Andy Van Slyke, and a young Barry Bonds. Seeing where this was headed, I tipped my proverbial cap to the Braves for a great season and shuffled off to bed after the sixth inning. I had blown off homework to watch baseball, and would need to bring my own A-game in the morning to get something together in time for class.

Yes, this is a pattern for me. Let’s not call it procrastination though, as Worf from

OK enough of that. Long and exciting story made shorter and far less interesting, the Braves started making noise in the ninth inning, and Dad watched them get a run and few baserunners before going to commercial while they swapped out pitchers. The next thing I knew, he stuck his head through my bedroom door and said, “Why don’t you come watch this. You might see something you wouldn’t want to miss.”

I did. I saw the team pull together and get pushed over the hump by a young, third-string catcher who was called into pinch hit, making only about the 15th plate appearance of his career. The last man on the bench. That was Francisco.

Well, he got the hit that resulted in a play at the plate and Atlanta scoring one run, and then another…barely, shocking, Pittsburgh and the baseball world, and sending our team off to the World Series.

Classic underdog story. Guy comes out of nowhere, finds his inspiration, muscles through and gets the job done against all odds. Wait, did I say guy? I meant GUYS. Not Francisco, but Dad and me. We truly bonded that night. Dancing and screaming after midnight to the haphazard flight of a little ball—hundreds of miles away.

We went on better things from there. I’d like to think Francisco did too. He never became a star. But for one night, he was the toast of the town, the baseball world, and at least one house in Johnson City, Tennessee.

I can’t say, Dad and I got along famously without incident from there, we still had our bumps. But things really did get better. We learned mutual respect, humility, and how to work together. He really was a good guy, as was I. We just begin to see it in each other.

That was my moment, our moment. Thank you Francisco. You made more of a difference than you know

2015 NCAA Championship game...Duke, specifically Grayson Allen and Coach K whining to the refs going into the half can bite me.
Still had the lead late in the game and with how Wisconsin could defend, thought I was witnessing a title in something other than Hockey.
I have family that went to Wisconsin that just compared the 2015 title game to the 2024 Big Ten title game saying Illinois got to do what Duke did. Funny things I remember about Wisconsin fans that year.

-Down 59-49 to Michigan State in the Big Ten Title game with 6:43 left. Came back to tie it and send to OT on VERY generous whistles or non whistles on their defense.
-Complain how they played Kentucky in the National Semi-Final while Duke got a bye vs Michigan State, you know, the team that had them on the ropes just before the tournament started. Salty Duke beat the snot out of them when they couldn't.
-Crying about the second half fouls in the National Championship game and actually believing their defense was so stellar that two fouls in the first half was all that should have been called. Sweet 16 they were called for 18 vs UNC (UNC had 20), Elite 8 called for 21 vs Zona (22 for Zona), and 14 vs Kentucky (20 for Kentucky) but hey, on pace for 4 sounds right at least to them.
-Conveniently forget they had Duke's two lottery picks in foul trouble the whole game. Seriously, before the game if you said you could have Duke's two best (or two of three) players in foul trouble all game while none of your starters were, you'd take that all day and be giddy about the officiating. Kaminsky and Dekker 1 each, Hayes 2, other two starters 3. That's a dream scenario to play free all game when their guys are worried about fouls.
-Convinced better team and refs are why they lost but forget they lost at home to same team that year.
-Bo Ryan not making the hall that year, John Calipari did. Seriously this might have broken them. Cal is everything that is wrong and Ryan was everything that is right. They lost to a one and done team and the one and done coach got in.

#### Don Denkinger in the ear.

Separately, to a few of the items in this thread:
1. Obvious catch by Dez
2. I remember being in a bar watching the tuck rule game without sound and nobody knew wtf was going on. Such a cluster.
3. Similarly, an incredibly enjoyable night out for the Bartman game. Upstairs at Barleycorn with a friend who is a White Sox fan, and it went from the biggest party ever to he and I being the only ones who weren't quiet as a church mouse from that point to the end of the game. So enjoyable. But to the folks who blame him, that's a ball not hit directly at Moises Alou that he has to jump to catch. Only like 50/50 he catches it even if Bartman doesn't exist. Great player. No so great defending laterally

Anyways, it really hit me yesterday, for no reason at all, that I far too often think about one sporting event that makes my blood boil. It's truly odd because 1) I was never a big fan of said player (but appreciated his greatness) and 2) never liked a team he played on until he came to my "hometown" team, but was pretty washed by then.

For some reason, and I've lived some insane sporting moments with clubs I support, this event sticks out to me and irks me to my core.

being a Browns fan has been consistent misery until very, very recently. I have become immune to events related to the Browns. thus, I dont think about them much aside from gametime.

Ames, Iowa November 18, 2011. I still don't think the FG was missed. If Oklahoma State won, they probably would have beaten LSU to win a natty.

That was an awesome post and story. I loved reading it. Now I'm going to be the guy to tell you that the thread was about a sports moment and a guy that you'll never forgive

Good job, Dennis Castro. You bum.
Maybe he is actually a Pittsburgh fan and was sugarcoating the story because he couldn't bring himself to relive that pain.

being a Browns fan has been consistent misery until very, very recently. I have become immune to events related to the Browns. thus, I dont think about them much aside from gametime.
I remember calling the blocked fg for a td loss to the ratbirds, but only because this team is so ridiculous that thought entered my mind long before you know...winning.

Showing some age

But why on earth would a head coach call a flea flicker with his starting QB in the 4th and last pre-season game? Ted Marchibroda, 1978 Colts..

1998, Elite 8, URI and Stanford. I was there sitting next to Tyson Wheelers dad. URI owned Stanford that day. Lamar Odom was ineligible that season but sitting on the bench.

With about two minutes to go, URI had a nice lead. I'm thinking it was eight. Then the refs decided to take the game. A couple of blatant no calls for us, and some phantom calls for them. The worst one was Mark Madsen getting a call on Antonio Reynolds Dean where they were about three feet apart. Arthur Lee made some BIG shots for them, but they wouldn't have been close if it wasn't for the zebras. I pretty much stopped watching college regularly after that.

Ironically I tuned into the last few minutes of the Sanford game just in time to watch the crooked refs steal the game from them. Oof

I went to game six of the 1996 World Series at Yankee Stadium wearing a Braves jersey. Jimmy Key and Greg Maddux was the matchup. I was excited to troll Yankee fans in person. Obviously it didn't go the way I hoped. The moment that killed me though was watching my childhood hero riding that damn horse around Yankee stadium. That stung.

I grew up on TBS Braves and they were always my 2nd team. That was up until like 2000ish when I started watching every Dodgers game for Vin instead. Been a closet Dodgers fan for almost 25 years now, dint miss many games. We have always been a Red Sox family, but I have always HATED most of their TV/Radio guys. Other than Don Orsillo of course. He's great. So I rarely will listen to a Sox game when their are other options. And I was eleven when Vin Scully made the Buckna call, the irony isn't lost on me

@PIK95 Wow, I’m on the same page with so much of this. My dad (d. 2015) grew up in Brooklyn and saw a ton of games at Ebbets Field (including Joe Adcock’s four HR game) from the owner’s box. His father was law partners with Walter O’Malley. I bought MLB Extra Innings just so I could listen to Vin Scully, Watching the Dodgers every night always made me feel closer to Dad, and my wife, who is blind, took in so much information from the picture Vin would paint with his narrative that she felt like she got as much out of the game as if she could actually see it..

I was born and lived for years in Rhode Island and have a lot of Red Sox fans in my extended family. Any time I come across a reference to the year 2004, that postseason comes straight to mind. I watched every game and rode the highs and lows of the ALCS with the rest of Red Sox Nation. My cat’s name is Remy.

But during my more formative years, I was a Braves fan. I might have mentioned something about that above.

Edit: As for a moment that I will never forgive, I’ll speak on behalf of Dad, who at the age of 8, cried after Bobby Thompson’s HR off Branca in what he would always refer to as the Miracle at Coogan‘s Bluff.

Last edited:
1) Why does Green take a knee in the first place? You have the Freak in Randy Moss, throw it up and let him get it like you have been doing all year.
This game is number one on the list. The FG miss is the big point everyone remembers, but this, the taking a knee to end the half, has always gnawed at me. Just like you said, they had been slinging it all year.

The 2009 game v NO has been mentioned, and that's high on the list too.

The Real Madrid offside plays against Bayern will always annoy me.

But, to add a new one, four months after Minnesota lost to Atlanta, Bayern lost to Manchester United in the Champions League final. Bayern were up 1-0 and gave up TWO GOALS after the 90th minute to lose. It was a bad stretch for me.

Does the Bears moving up to draft Mitch Trubisky count?

I was at my usual dive bar watching the draft that year and stood up, and yelled at the TV for a good 3 minutes.

Kinda glad I didn't go to Buffalo Wild Wings or someplace like that 'cuz I probably would have gotten myself kicked out. I was livid. Still am.

Won't ever forget that one.
We hosted ~30 people over the year we drafted Weeden. There are photos floating around somewhere of me with a paper bag over my head taking a bottle of Jamo to the face. I have never sports hated one of my own like that oaf and can't imagine I ever will again.

@PIK95 Wow, I’m on the same page with so much of this. My dad (d. 2015) grew up in Brooklyn and saw a ton of games at Ebbets Field (including Joe Adcock’s four HR game) from the owner’s box. His father was law partners with Walter O’Malley. I bought MLB Extra Innings just so I could listen to Vin Scully, Watching the Dodgers every night always made me feel closer to Dad, and my wife, who is blind, took in so much information from the picture Vin would paint with his narrative that she felt like she got as much out of the game as if she could actually see it..

Edit: As for a moment that I will never forgive, I’ll speak on behalf of Dad, who at the age of 8, cried after Bobby Thompson’s HR off Branca in what he would always refer to as the Miracle at Coogan‘s Bluff.
:goodposting:

My Dad is from NY and a Dodgers fan. When my parents moved to CA, he said they knew they were on their way home while coming down the Rockies and they heard Vinny on the radio.

I am sure he would also note the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" as one of his in this thread.

The obvious….
Kenyon Martin broken leg right before the tournament with the loaded bearcats team

Logan Wilson penalty to decide the super bowl

Pacman v Jerry Porter

Probably just me…. 2009 B12 championship game. Bearcats needed a miracle loss by Texas to likely play in the National Championship. They add a second back on the clock after Nebraska had obviously won so Texas could kick a gw fg. UC is relegated to the Sugar Bowl. Brian Kelly doesn’t even stay to coach it and everything unraveled eventually leading to them not being in a BCS league for a while.

Bush push (illegal at the time) ruined the best ND team Ive ever seen.
Speaking of college football and Notre Dame, the 1990 Colorado "national title" is one of the bigger farces. Rocket Ismail's game-winning punt return called back on a pretty questionable clipping call in the Orange Bowl. Plus they had an early loss and a tie that somehow voters disregarded. They also had a win again Stanford on a last second touchdown that seemed pretty clearly on replay to not have actually been a touchdown.

But the biggest reason their title is a joke is the "fifth down" game against Missouri. I have no idea how the conference or the NCAA or whomever didn't award that win to Missouri. They were stopped four times and the game was over. Just because the refs can't count doesn't make the result fair.

Georgia Tech should have been sole national title winner. And yes I watched a lot of college football that year.

I will also bring up the 2003 (?) Fiesta Bowl, Miami getting robbed by the refs in OT.

One of the greatest college fb teams of all time with that collection of NFL talent and the ref decides after the celebrations have begun to throw the latest flag for a foul that didn't happen.

I think my issues with refs makes it worse, but I was rooting for THE U.

Also, Armando Galaragga's perfect game. Watched the whole game. Almost puked for him. My wife thought I was gonna break something that night.

OK, this is another one the league should have just stepped in and "gotten right" (along with my earlier post about the untimed down owed the NY Giants in the playoff game). But this one is even more egregious in that it's so much simpler to fix. It was the dead last play of the game. Period. Just say he made the out, they reviewed it, the ump was wrong. Erase the next batter and give him the perfect game. Nothing after the 27th out in the record, fix it and move on. If MLB had just done it an hour after the game ended, it wouldn't have been an issue.

I get when it's not the last play of the game and you can't rewind and go back (even though MLB has done it in the past, like in the Pine Tar Incident). It's just you can't always go back easily and it becomes an issue of how hard it is to fix. Like, OK, the Pine Tar Game, they made the teams go back out months later and finish it next time they played each other, even despite not having the same rosters anymore. Why not make the same call here? But no need for the teams to even have to go back and meet again. It was the last play of the game. Just say it ended.

So frustrating.

The obvious….
Kenyon Martin broken leg right before the tournament with the loaded bearcats team

Logan Wilson penalty to decide the super bowl

Pacman v Jerry Porter

Probably just me…. 2009 B12 championship game. Bearcats needed a miracle loss by Texas to likely play in the National Championship. They add a second back on the clock after Nebraska had obviously won so Texas could kick a gw fg. UC is relegated to the Sugar Bowl. Brian Kelly doesn’t even stay to coach it and everything unraveled eventually leading to them not being in a BCS league for a while.
I can remember being in Linder Business Center 'studying' while watching the game when Kenyon went down. Such a gut punch and you knew by his reaction it was something bad. That was OUR year. Dropped to a two seed, and out in the second round. What could have been...

Also, Armando Galaragga's perfect game. Watched the whole game. Almost puked for him. My wife thought I was gonna break something that night.

OK, this is another one the league should have just stepped in and "gotten right" (along with my earlier post about the untimed down owed the NY Giants in the playoff game). But this one is even more egregious in that it's so much simpler to fix. It was the dead last play of the game. Period. Just say he made the out, they reviewed it, the ump was wrong. Erase the next batter and give him the perfect game. Nothing after the 27th out in the record, fix it and move on. If MLB had just done it an hour after the game ended, it wouldn't have been an issue.

I get when it's not the last play of the game and you can't rewind and go back (even though MLB has done it in the past, like in the Pine Tar Incident). It's just you can't always go back easily and it becomes an issue of how hard it is to fix. Like, OK, the Pine Tar Game, they made the teams go back out months later and finish it next time they played each other, even despite not having the same rosters anymore. Why not make the same call here? But no need for the teams to even have to go back and meet again. It was the last play of the game. Just say it ended.

So frustrating.
I couldn't believe the other umps didn't overrule him. By that time EVERYONE knew he blew the call. There was time before the next batter for them to huddle.

So frustrating.
I couldn't believe the other umps didn't overrule him. By that time EVERYONE knew he blew the call. There was time before the next batter for them to huddle.
That seems to be one thing the umps and refs have forgotten. Their egos and wanting to be a part of the action have left them incapable of asking their team for help. And their team has become incapable of overruling a teammate as to "not make him look bad".

So frustrating.
The reason this one doesn't bother me is:

1) It was a good ump who made a bad call. I hate that it has impacted Joyce for the rest of his life. That's sad to me.
2) Galarraga handled it with complete class. This brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it
3) Because of this, it is likely the most famous/memorable "perfect" game. It is to me. Not that there's a lot of perfect games, but if that doesn't happen, then it's "just" another perfect game. So, in that sense, there's actually some good from it.

So, I'll be the one that is actually glad that MLB hasn't fixed it.

Their egos and wanting to be a part of the action have left them incapable of asking their team for help. And their team has become incapable of overruling a teammate as to "not make him look bad".
This is for sure the biggest part of the problem. They are more worried about their own self interest than actually getting a call correct.

I went to an umping clinic a few years ago. I was amazed at how hard it was drilled into you that you are in control and don't let anybody intimidate you or show you up. Take control early and put everyone in their place. Don't ever let a coach (this was mainly for LL/HS umpires) even mention the rule book when discussing a call. That was reason for automatic ejection. I was flabbergasted. I thought the point was to get the call correct. If a coach could show me a rule that I got wrong quickly I am all for that. I might learn something that I missed. But the tone was to never let any of that happen. After going through that I understood why the umps in our area were so confrontational. It was sad.

So frustrating.

1) It was a good ump who made a bad call. I hate that it has impacted Joyce for the rest of his life. That's sad to me.
2) Galarraga handled it with complete class. This brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it
3) Because of this, it is likely the most famous/memorable "perfect" game. It is to me. Not that there's a lot of perfect games, but if that doesn't happen, then it's "just" another perfect game. So, in that sense, there's actually some good from it.

I agree with your first two points. And #1 is why they should have changed it.

#3 I don't agree with simply because it will become folklore and is not in any record books. He won't be credited with his perfect game anywhere because of a blatantly bad call that could have easily been corrected. With replay that gets corrected and is celebrated.

But I get your point. Hopefully it becomes as infamous as Doc Ellis' no hitter.

So frustrating.
That seems to be one thing the umps and refs have forgotten. Their egos and wanting to be a part of the action have left them incapable of asking their team for help. And their team has become incapable of overruling a teammate as to "not make him look bad".
Yet that ump was crying on TV for everyone to forgive him after that game. Awful.

So frustrating.

I wouldn't want them to fix it now, but they should have huddled up. As a retired catcher who has taken a lot of crap from umps over the years, it's hard for me to have empathy for any of them fwiw.

Definitely this one - https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/250012294 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeRks_CsL7w

Dec. 30th (?) - Saban announces he's leaving LSU for Miami
Dec. 31st - I drive 14-ish hours from Houston to Orlando still stunned on the Saban news
Jan. 1st - 50+ yd Hail Mary TD for Iowa vs LSU in the Capital One Bowl. Sitting in the corner of the stadium where the WR scored.
Jan. 2nd - I drive 14-ish hours from Orlando to Houston still stunned on the game ending play

To this day, I still don't understand what our secondary is doing with under 10 seconds left.

SB XLVI ... NE vs NYG
Most call it a Welker drop ... but Brady could have made the pass soooo much easier to catch.
If Welker catches that, 1st down and killing clock into at least a FG attempt. Instead, they fail to convert on 3rd down and punt. NYG drives for for the winning TD.

Speaking of college football and Notre Dame, the 1990 Colorado "national title" is one of the bigger farces. Rocket Ismail's game-winning punt return called back on a pretty questionable clipping call in the Orange Bowl.

A young Major was actually at that game rooting on ND. We all thought they won and were going crazy. Such a great moment instantly dashed by a phantom call.

Users who are viewing this thread