What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Dungy on Tim Tebow (1 Viewer)

Rodeojones

Footballguy
Tony Dungy was on the Dan Patrick show this morning and Dan Patrick asked Tony about Tim Tebow and Dungy had some very interesting comments on Tebow. The DPS is aired on Direct TV and I record it every morning and watch it later. The qoutes below were directly taken from the broadcast and I paused and rewound to get the qoutes correct.

Dungy "As an NFL coach, I always like winners in that position (QB) and guys who won." Tony talked about Charlie Ward and how he believed Ward would have been "fabulous in the NFL" given the fact that he was a winner in HS, College, and successful as an NBA point guard.

Dungy goes on to say "being a winner is the main pre-requisite to the Quaterback position and Tim Tebow doesn't have the classic throwing motion and he doesn't have the accuracy right now maybe that some people are looking for but I think when he gets into a pro-system that really stresses throwing the ball he will become more accurate. The big thing is that he makes everyone around him better."

Dan Patrick asked Tony Dungy if he had a top 10 pick and didn't have a franchise QB like St. Louis, would he use it on Tim Tebow and Dungy said YES. "Franchise Quaterbacks are hard to find and you know, I really believe in this guy." Dungy went on to talk about the 1999 draft with Tim Couch, Akili Smith, and Donovan McNabb. Dungy said when he was looking at all the Quarterbacks that came out that year, McNabb was one of the guys who was not a classic QB. He didn't have great accuracy and wasn't a classic passer but he had alot of things going for him. Dungy stated he was fooled by those things and did not consider McNabb a pro-style kind of guy but he was a winner and out of all those QB's, McNabb has been the most successful.

Dan Patrick "If these Quaterbacks are still on the board, Jake Locker at Washington, Clausen, Bradford, McCoy, Tebow, and you got a top 10 pick and you need a Quarterback......"

Tony Dungy "I'm taking Tebow".

That's why it's a whole front office effort in most cases. Tebow can't throw it downfield. It's not that he has accuracy issues, he has no accuracy at all.

This probably happens every draft year, but one case I remember, perhaps because of the Gator connection:

Remember when Danny Wuerffel came out, they were saying the same things.

One side was saying he didn't have the arm strength. The other side was saying "all he did was win".

Look how that turned out.

I really like Dungy the coach, but he's a horrible offensive talent evaluator. Just horrible.

NFL coaches need to get cooled down on this guy. He needs to be converted to an H-Back type role. I've never seen a guy so hyped on things that he just cannot do. He has thrown for two 200 yd games this year and one was against Troy. One of the assumed reasons he was coming back was that he could become a better passer and show that he was NFL worthy. Well no matter what way you want to spin it (running team, no need to pass because they lead, Harvin and Murphy are gone) the guy doesn't cut it. That isn't saying he doesn't hold value but if someone takes him in the first they are going to be wasting a pick and a lot of money.

Bojang0301 said:
That's why it's a whole front office effort in most cases. Tebow can't throw it downfield. It's not that he has accuracy issues, he has no accuracy at all.
I think Tebow can throw it at least 60 yards without a problem - is that far enough? Actually, he's got one of the strongest arms (and overall body) of anybody who ever played QB.I think he needs to work on consistent spirals - his wobbly passes get accentuated in a stiff breeze. He's actually very accurate as evidenced by his completion percentage.Florida's offense doesn't call for a lot of bombs like a Brady-Moss or Peyton-Wayne. They launch it once in a while but they're almost always favorites a game with one of the best running games in the country.I think some non-traditional team, perhaps with a new coach like Shanahan or Gruden, will take him and give it a try. Who knows - it won't diminish what he is doing in college nor who he is as a person.

Tim Couch and Akili Smith were both winners. Oregon and Syracuse were both 8-4 in 1998.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comments like these, along with the 2009 statistics to date, are making it painfully clear that Tony Dungy should send Peyton Manning royalty checks on every football-related dollar he makes for the rest of his life.

Tebow is like the human version of the Option- something that works in college but is totally impractical in the NFL because the defenses are way too big, fast and smart.

Bojang0301 said:
I think Tebow can throw it at least 60 yards without a problem - is that far enough? Actually, he's got one of the strongest arms (and overall body) of anybody who ever played QB.I think he needs to work on consistent spirals - his wobbly passes get accentuated in a stiff breeze. He's actually very accurate as evidenced by his completion percentage.

Florida's offense doesn't call for a lot of bombs like a Brady-Moss or Peyton-Wayne. They launch it once in a while but they're almost always favorites a game with one of the best running games in the country.

I think some non-traditional team, perhaps with a new coach like Shanahan or Gruden, will take him and give it a try. Who knows - it won't diminish what he is doing in college nor who he is as a person.
No.

When I watch Tebow this season, I can't help but wonder how much his development is taking a backseat to winning another national championship. The guy NEVER takes a snap under center even on 3rd and a foot. You would think that Meyer would throw the kid a few bones and let him do a few conventional things once in awhile. I'm not convinced that Tebow can't play in the NFL because I haven't seen him put in a position to act like a conventional QB. I do know one thing - if he fails it won't be because of a bad attitude or not working to get better once he gets his first paycheck. The kid will give everything he's got and then some.

Actually, he's got one of the strongest arms (and overall body) of anybody who ever played QB.

No.
Can you name a physically stronger QB in the mold of a 6'3" 240 pound guy who can easily bench press 450 pounds?I'd like to be enlightened. :)
Physical strength and having a strong arm (as the phrase is used when talking about quarterbacks) are two completely different things. You think Peyton Manning, Jay Cutler and Aaron Rodgers can throw up huge numbers in the weight room?

When I watch Tebow this season, I can't help but wonder how much his development is taking a backseat to winning another national championship. The guy NEVER takes a snap under center even on 3rd and a foot. You would think that Meyer would throw the kid a few bones and let him do a few conventional things once in awhile. I'm not convinced that Tebow can't play in the NFL because I haven't seen him put in a position to act like a conventional QB. I do know one thing - if he fails it won't be because of a bad attitude or not working to get better once he gets his first paycheck. The kid will give everything he's got and then some.
I know the Urb loves TRT, but why would he give a damn about his pro development? Urb's in the winning college national titles business.

I agree - he's a played a bit tight this year but the Tennessee, LSU Arkansas and MSU games were all pretty tense and he's obviously more comfortable in the shotgun.Hopefully, the 2nd half of the UGA game this weekend will consist of airing it out and pasting a 50-burger on them.

Physical strength and having a strong arm (as the phrase is used when talking about quarterbacks) are two completely different things. You think Peyton Manning, Jay Cutler and Aaron Rodgers can throw up huge numbers in the weight room?
I don't think Jay Cutler could find the weight room :lmao: :bye: I was just refuting the accusation that he can't throw downfield.Actually, Tebow's physique is more comparable to Big Ben. Does he have a strong arm?

I don't think Jay Cutler could find the weight room :popcorn: :popcorn: I was just refuting the accusation that he can't throw downfield.Actually, Tebow's physique is more comparable to Big Ben. Does he have a strong arm?
Ben kinda does. Tebow does not, at least not as far as I've seen. In both cases, their physiques are irrelevant to the question of their arm strength. The two are totally different. If you don't believe me, look up the javelin records and then do an image search of the guys at the top of the lists. I'm no physiologist, but I would guess that if anything, a bulky physique inhibits arm strength (as we use the phrase for QBs) since it reduces shoulder flexibility.

tonka said:
Didn't Dungy also claim that Vick would make a big splash this season?
I have a lot of respect for Dungy as a coach and a person. But we need to keep in mind that Manning was already on the Colts when Dungy got there. So when did Dungy become a QB scouting guru?

Rodeojones said:
Tony Dungy was on the Dan Patrick show this morning and Dan Patrick asked Tony about Tim Tebow and Dungy had some very interesting comments on Tebow. The DPS is aired on Direct TV and I record it every morning and watch it later. The qoutes below were directly taken from the broadcast and I paused and rewound to get the qoutes correct.

Dungy "As an NFL coach, I always like winners in that position (QB) and guys who won." Tony talked about Charlie Ward and how he believed Ward would have been "fabulous in the NFL" given the fact that he was a winner in HS, College, and successful as an NBA point guard.

Dungy goes on to say "being a winner is the main pre-requisite to the Quaterback position and Tim Tebow doesn't have the classic throwing motion and he doesn't have the accuracy right now maybe that some people are looking for but I think when he gets into a pro-system that really stresses throwing the ball he will become more accurate. The big thing is that he makes everyone around him better."

Dan Patrick asked Tony Dungy if he had a top 10 pick and didn't have a franchise QB like St. Louis, would he use it on Tim Tebow and Dungy said YES. "Franchise Quaterbacks are hard to find and you know, I really believe in this guy." Dungy went on to talk about the 1999 draft with Tim Couch, Akili Smith, and Donovan McNabb. Dungy said when he was looking at all the Quarterbacks that came out that year, McNabb was one of the guys who was not a classic QB. He didn't have great accuracy and wasn't a classic passer but he had alot of things going for him. Dungy stated he was fooled by those things and did not consider McNabb a pro-style kind of guy but he was a winner and out of all those QB's, McNabb has been the most successful.

Dan Patrick "If these Quaterbacks are still on the board, Jake Locker at Washington, Clausen, Bradford, McCoy, Tebow, and you got a top 10 pick and you need a Quarterback......"

Tony Dungy "I'm taking Tebow".
It's fun to think wiht your heart and not your head. Doesnt mean it is right> I remember when "league expert" and TV Commentator Joey Theisman said that WAS kick returner Brian Mitchell (certainly a stud at that position) would be getting the NFL League MVP award back in 1998. Um, sure Joe, so you like the Redskins much? Fact is, Dungy maintains a home in N. Florida. Tebow is from Florida. Lets screw our heads on, Tebow is not an NFL starter.

I know the Urb loves TRT, but why would he give a damn about his pro development? Urb's in the winning college national titles business.
Because Tebow came back to help him win a championship. Both Urb and Tebow know what the knock was on Tebow was as far as the NFL is concerned. What would be crazy about Urb helping Tebow develop some since Tebow is helping Urb's team (as an "unpaid" amatuer athlete) make a championship run while risking Tebow's health and NFL future?Sounds like a perfectly reasonable quid pro quo arrangement even if Urb was a cynical me-first and only jerk who had no feelings and concern for Tebow and his future.

Why does this surprise anyone? He said he "really believes" in Tebow...belief, no reality or fact. You can give Dungy a pass on this because it is primarily a belief. Dungy believes in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, so does Tim Tebow who is a over the top religious person so naturally the two of them probably like each other. I wonder if Tebow was more of an outlaw QB, into riding motorcycles, wonder if Dungy would still "believe" in him.

Actually, Tebow's physique is more comparable to Big Ben. Does he have a strong arm?
What does body type have to do with arm strength? And no one is saying he can't throw the ball far enough, that's not all that important.
I'm not a QB expert so perhaps you could 'splain to me how to quantify arm strength?
No problem chief. It's the velocity with which a QB can throw a football. A good method of figuring this experimentally is to determine the maximum distance the QB can throw the ball. The further the ball goes, the higher the average velocity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, Tebow's physique is more comparable to Big Ben. Does he have a strong arm?
What does body type have to do with arm strength? And no one is saying he can't throw the ball far enough, that's not all that important.
I'm not a QB expert so perhaps you could 'splain to me how to quantify arm strength?
It's not the arm strength. It's the accuracy. There is none. You want to quantify all the short passes he completes. Believe me I've seen quite a few years of Urban Meyers offense. His high completetion short routes don't fool me. Tebow can't land the deep ball. Not because he lacks arm strength but because he can't get it through the windows neccesary at the pro level. It's what seperates Peyton Manning from Jemarcus Russell.

For the record, I'm not saying that Tebow has a terribly weak arm, or that his arm is too weak for him to be an NFL starter. My point is that saying "Tim Tebow has one of the strongest arms of anybody who ever played QB" is ridiculous. I don't think that he would be in the top 50 in the NFL today.

No problem chief. It's the velocity with which a QB can throw a football. A good method of figuring this experimentally is to determine the maximum distance the QB can throw the ball. The further the ball goes, the higher the average velocity.
Sounds good to me.It'll be interesting next year to see what happens. I'd like to see him land on a Shanahan/Gruden team who constantly runs the wildcat (a' la the Dolphins this year) to see what happens. If he fails at QB, so be it - the Mel Kipers of the world will be proven right.I'm amazed how much aggressive negative opinions that Tebow receives with respect to his pro potential, as if it's a mark against what he's done in college and his life. Perhaps it's a reaction to the excessive hyper-praise he's continuing to receive this year.

For the record, I'm not saying that Tebow has a terribly weak arm, or that his arm is too weak for him to be an NFL starter. My point is that saying "Tim Tebow has one of the strongest arms of anybody who ever played QB" is ridiculous. I don't think that he would be in the top 50 in the NFL today.
If he were able to throw the ball 65 yards in the air, would that be enough?

One could argue that Dungy's endorsement for Tebow could hinge on their shared religious beliefs.
:wall: I would be very surprised if this didn't play a role in Dungy's statements.I'm a Florida fan but I have serious doubts about Tebow's ability to read defenses and run a pro-style offense. That said, the kid is a hell of a player and I will be rooting for him to succeed wherever he goes.

I'm completely baffled by the Tim Tebow nfl hype.

Tim Tebow = Scott Frost v2.0

Tebow is bigger and stronger physically than Frost, and slightly more accurate on his throws, but he doesn't have near the same type of speed and athleticism that Frost had.

And Scott Frost was a 3rd round pick by the Jets.

Any team that takes Tebow before the bottom half of the 2nd round is making a bigger reach than the indian dude in Street Fighter 2.

I'm a Florida fan but I have serious doubts about Tebow's ability to read defenses and run a pro-style offense. That said, the kid is a hell of a player and I will be rooting for him to succeed wherever he goes.
I'll be the first to admit that I can't figure out who's going to be a good pro QB and who won't. After watching Matt Ryan a little at BC, I could never have imagined that he'd be as good as he is.As for defenses, what does that say about Sam Bradshaw and Colt McCoy who obviously don't see jack in their conference. Most of the schools in the SEC have pretty solid defenses and certainly have the highest quality coaches around.With the regularity with which top QB picks turn out to be duds in the NFL when the guys that draft them are paid millions to do so, methinks there must be a lot of variables that aren't quantifiable by stats - it seems they have to be given a turn to find out what happens.

I hate UF...but even I'll admit I was STUNNED by his accuracy in the SECC game last year. Alabama made UF put the ball in the air to win...and he did it. He was hitting guys that really weren't even open.

There is a reason why Dungy is considered a defensive guru, not an offensive one.
Dungy played QB in college (U of Minnesota). He probably has a sensitivity to the "Let's move him to another position" discussion, since he was made into a DB in Pittsburgh.

Not that I know anything about the NFL but I do watch a lot of college football and call me crazy but I think I see what Dungy was saying. Tebow has"it". Who else had "it"? Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb, Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Jim Kelly, John Elway, Ben Rothlisberger. There are plenty of guys out there who have the physical tools to throw the ball accurately down the field but do they have "it"? Akili Smith had the tools, so did Ryan Leaf, Rob Johnson, David Carr, Mike Vick, Todd Marinovich, and Vince Young... Tebow wants to work hard and he raises the play of those around him. I think he can be a quarterback in the NFL and a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread