What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 101 Movies of the 80s (1 Viewer)

Id still like a consensus top 5 from @Ilov80s and @KarmaPolice on what I should watch for the ones I havnt seen.
I would think it is the highest 5 movies in the ranking that you haven't seen.
No, I'd guess there are others that will have a better shot at being enjoyed than something like Wings of Desire.

@JAA - did you post a list of the ones you haven't seen?
But I thought the list was a "desert island" list of your favorite movies so they would be in order of the movies you would recommend most? I am not trying to be difficult but just understand. I guess the distinction could be you are trying to recommend movies based on what you have gathered about JAA's movie preferences rather than your own.
Yes, that last part. The list was MY desert island movies, but it doesn't mean that I would recommend my top 10 to everybody. For example, there is 0 chance I would tell anybody to watch Blue Velvet unless I knew them, their tastes in movies, and thought they watched and enjoyed similar. That is a tough watch for me, but sometimes I want that.

EVERY time a customer at the video store would ask for a recommendation out of the blue, I would ask them what they have watched and liked recently. I need way more information to know if I am recommending Tucker and Dale, Matyrs, Blue Valentine, Supertroopers, or.. you get the idea. All those movies I love, but they all aren't for everybody.

“Have you seen Stir of Echoes yet?” was my go to…or The Generals Daughter
That was one of mine as well. If the crew was a little younger, I think I went with something more like The Others for a thriller.

I wish I could remember more. I feel like I had 3-4 core ones from each genre that we had which was underseen enough and had a high hit rate for people to recommend all the time.

I still think my favorite memory was the time I asked a guy for ID (blockbuster was always cracking down on that) and the guy asked me if I’d accept a naked picture of his girlfriend instead. I shrugged and said sure, turns out he wasn’t bluffing and flashed his wallet to me. I accepted it and let him rent. Oh and she was standing right there. Not the hottest couple by any means but it at least broke up the monotony

Id still like a consensus top 5 from @Ilov80s and @KarmaPolice on what I should watch for the ones I havnt seen.
No, I'd guess there are others that will have a better shot at being enjoyed than something like Wings of Desire.

But I thought the list was a "desert island" list of your favorite movies so they would be in order of the movies you would recommend most? I am not trying to be difficult but just understand. I guess the distinction could be you are trying to recommend movies based on what you have gathered about JAA's movie preferences rather than your own.
Yes, that last part. The list was MY desert island movies, but it doesn't mean that I would recommend my top 10 to everybody. For example, there is 0 chance I would tell anybody to watch Blue Velvet unless I knew them, their tastes in movies, and thought they watched and enjoyed similar. That is a tough watch for me, but sometimes I want that.

EVERY time a customer at the video store would ask for a recommendation out of the blue, I would ask them what they have watched and liked recently. I need way more information to know if I am recommending Tucker and Dale, Matyrs, Blue Valentine, Supertroopers, or.. you get the idea. All those movies I love, but they all aren't for everybody.

That was one of mine as well. If the crew was a little younger, I think I went with something more like The Others for a thriller.

I wish I could remember more. I feel like I had 3-4 core ones from each genre that we had which was underseen enough and had a high hit rate for people to recommend all the time.

I still think my favorite memory was the time I asked a guy for ID (blockbuster was always cracking down on that) and the guy asked me if I’d accept a naked picture of his girlfriend instead. I shrugged and said sure, turns out he wasn’t bluffing and flashed his wallet to me. I accepted it and let him rent. Oh and she was standing right there. Not the hottest couple by any means but it at least broke up the monotony
My main Blockbuster memory was being invited for a romp by a married woman. She was waiting in the parking lot for me. :oldunsure:

One of my favorite customers at the other stores I worked at was the lady that would come in an ask a version of "do you have any movies that aren't crap?". Never seemed to like any freakin' movie, but of course was in every freakin' week too. :lol: I'm wondering if it was @JAA's mom now. :lol:

Separate thread - how many of these movies that we revere from the 80s could be made today?

Revenge of the Nerds? Absolutely not.
Full Metal Jacket? I think you'd need to heavily edit out some of the scenes in Vietnam.

Soul Man? Okay, this one's a reach.

Is this trend happening overseas too? It's like our culture is reverting to a Puritan time consumed by social media.

Kind of reflects this forum now. Shades of grey aren't acceptable in the mainstream.

Reactions: JAA
I will admit I have Roger Moore > Sean Connery.

What the actual ****
Sean Connery is the much better actor. Moore had the much better movies. I also prefer Moore's sarcasm than Connery's. I prefer Moore to Connery.

I agree, though I may be biased by watching Moore's Bonds first. To me, Bond should be suave, sophisticated, charming and witty in addition to being capable of great action. I will never argue the point against a Connery supporter - it's just what I prefer. If you try to tell me Craig > Moore, THEN we'll have an argument.

I like Moore but have him 3rd after Connery and Craig. Moore had a couple of good movies but you guys are nuts if you think any 3 of his are better than Dr. No, From Russia with Love and Goldfinger. That’s nuts. Hell, Thunderball is better than the average Moore Bond film.

I was one of those who had never seen The Goonies. I decided to mix up a cocktail and fire it up to see what the hubbub was. I have regrets… feel like it needs the nostalgia as I’m rooting for the criminals over the kids right now.
I can see a lot of "80s movies" getting this reaction if you watched them for the first time now. I think some core ones like our #1, karate kid, ghostbusters, etc have a better shot than Goonies or Lost Boys.

My main Blockbuster memory was being invited for a romp by a married woman. She was waiting in the parking lot for me. :oldunsure:

One of my favorite customers at the other stores I worked at was the lady that would come in an ask a version of "do you have any movies that aren't crap?". Never seemed to like any freakin' movie, but of course was in every freakin' week too. :lol: I'm wondering if it was @JAA's mom now. :lol:

These are awesome. I always wanted to work in a video store.

These are awesome. I always wanted to work in a video store.

Was one of the funner jobs I had, never really seemed like work aside from the occasional inventory nights (hey it’s midnight let’s go and scan every ****ing movie in the store and make sure the right tapes in the box)

Pretty good crew there though, management was mostly cool, I’d usually just ignore them if they wanted me to vacuum or other stuff I didn’t want to do. I always covered register when they’d go for smoke breaks so I got some leniency

Head manager also had one of those disc burners for PlayStation games so had a nice bootleg library

would have been first few years of college IIRC

I’d usually just ignore them if they wanted me to vacuum or other stuff I didn’t want to do

:lmao:

I remember arguing with them one night that it didn’t need it. Basically got told do it or else so I just turned it on and let it run while they counted the drawer in the back room and went and looked for movies to rent

They were none the wiser

I was one of those who had never seen The Goonies. I decided to mix up a cocktail and fire it up to see what the hubbub was. I have regrets… feel like it needs the nostalgia as I’m rooting for the criminals over the kids right now.
A Fratelli sympathizer?

:penalty:

Did we know you worked in a video store? Do you still work at a video store? Does it have an "adult section" in a back room? Asking for a friend ...

You working in a video store explains a lot (in a good way). How is Family Video doing BTW?

Did we know you worked in a video store? Do you still work at a video store? Does it have an "adult section" in a back room? Asking for a friend ...

You working in a video store explains a lot (in a good way). How is Family Video doing BTW?

I think they just sell CBD now

Dateline......May 1987.....a suburban Mall in South Florida.........17 year old Todem worked at Camelot Music and was the Video Rental manager.

Yeah......one of the best jobs I ever had and the most ****Y I ever got inside 6 months.

1. I think it was fairly known I worked at and owned a video store for a stretch, but I could be wrong.
2 No, I dont- I wish it was still a thing
3. Yes, FV did have "that" section. I took it out of mine when I took over.
4. To my knowledge all the FV stores went the way of Blockbuster. All of then around here closed years ago.

Reactions: JAA

I think they just sell CBD now
They did a bit of this + pairing with a pizza joint (Marcos) at the end.

1. I think it was fairly known I worked at and owned a video store for a stretch, but I could be wrong.
2 No, I dont- I wish it was still a thing
3. Yes, FV did have "that" section. I took it out of mine when I took over.
4. To my knowledge all the FV stores went the way of Blockbuster. All of then around here closed years ago.

My buddy worked for FV, I remember him telling me about having to make awkward calls to customers with overdue rentals

“Hey just letting you know your copy of Throbinhood - Prince of Beaves” is a week overdue

Who would win in a fight: Goonies kids or current GenZ kids?

My money is on Goonie kids.

Not even close.

Data's boxing glove gizmo would knock out the GenZ-er while they were pulling out their smartphone to google how to fight.

Also, the Goonies kids are battle tested. Those country club bullies who made Brandon crash his bike are no joke.

Not even close.

Data's boxing glove gizmo would knock out the GenZ-er while they were pulling out their smartphone to google how to fight.

Also, the Goonies kids are battle tested. Those country club bullies who made Brandon crash his bike are no joke.
☝️

For me the two glaring omissions are Mask and Sixteen Candles. Both are top 20 imo.
Mask is a fantastic movie.....Cher was terrific and Eric Stoltz......best role he ever had. Sam Houston.....just a heart warming and heart breaking film at the same time.

Sixteen Candles was quoted regularly in high school.....like all the time. Both films are in my top 50 of 1980’s films.

Other omissions maybe not as glaring: Broadway Danny Rose

this is one i should've included upthread with my others ... most fun i ever had watching a Woodman flick - the stereotypes are thick as sludge, but so true to the lifestyles they depict from that era - i mean, c'mon ... Mia Farrow as the Jersey Gun Moll is so spot on - the Carmela Sopranos of the world are very few n' far between, but there are a ton of Tina Vitales out there - some familial 😁

Lou Canova on the Joe Franklin show? HELL YES - that aired up here on Channel 9, and even tho we had no idea what cable TV were, that always had the feel of a public access talk show - NYC legend.

not surprising coming from Woody, as his love letters to the City always cited some of the more niche cultural touchstones unique to our particular metro-verse.

and this is another of those love letters, but penned about the decidedly less glamorous side of his showbiz life ... Danny's acts are so half assed, but sincere ... just like their nebbish agent:

she is the Jascha Heifitz of this instrument, Philly ... and i'll let her go for what i usually ask , which is, ya know, half price

remember your three S's ... STAR/SMILE/STRONG!

I work with this Puerto Rican kid ... a brilliant ventriloquist - but, eh, he has a dope problem - what can i do? i gotta jump right into the breach

he was never better - the black n' white just puts it over the top.

you'll have ripping up money contests within an hour of watching this, i brt.

For me the two glaring omissions are Mask and Sixteen Candles. Both are top 20 imo.
Mask is a fantastic movie.....Cher was terrific and Eric Stoltz......best role he ever had. Sam Houston.....just a heart warming and heart breaking film at the same time.
I-I-I'mmm r-r-reeeeaaal p-p-p-proooouuud of y-y-youuuuu R-R-R-R-R-Rocky.

And then a polar bear fell on him.
I have 1000% faith that movie will show up in the next 101 1980’s movie countdown thread!!

:ROFLMAO:C'mon that ain't him.

I have 1000% faith that movie will show up in the next 101 1980’s movie countdown thread!!
I wouldn't be so sure. While you guys are here drinking fancy wine with your pinkies raised discussing Mask and Broadway Danny Rose (WTF), we're in the other thread getting drunk, stoned and chanting USA USA while running up mountains and fighting commies. At least on my list, the only mask to show up will be a hockey mask (maybe... hint hint).

Mask makes my top 50. So well casted and a great story.

Sixteen Candles is probably borderline top 100 for me...liked it a lot more back then, then I do know. Not quite as historic as other teenage movies like Fast Time and Breakfast Club.

I wouldn't be so sure. While you guys are here drinking fancy wine with your pinkies raised discussing Mask and Broadway Danny Rose (WTF), we're in the other thread getting drunk, stoned and chanting USA USA while running up mountains and fighting commies. At least on my list, the only mask to show up will be a hockey mask (maybe... hint hint).
BDR is a great movie. Still holds up too, unlike a decent amount of the movies in either thread.

Well, no Friday 2 then.

Well, no Friday 2 then.
Well maybe I'm talking about an ice hockey movie.

Well, no Friday 2 then.

Hoser.

Well, no Friday 2 then.
A little Lowe and Swayze goodness?

Well, no Friday 2 then.
A little Lowe and Swayze goodness?
Don’t forget Miss McGill 🐅

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO:C'mon that ain't him.
You're right. I'm better than that.

I think we have a problem (I know you meant Elliott).

Anyway, also love this movie.

Last edited:

Very sweet movie, and the whole young guy older lady thing was hot

Was always curious about Life-force but never saw it. I'll always remember the preview though, with that giant eye opening next to Earth

Users who are viewing this thread