What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trade Advice official thread (3 Viewers)

Any idea what the trade value of Jesus Montero is? He has catcher eligibility now.
Anyone? Typical 5x5.Guy is trying to unload Montero, and looking for a pitcher from me. Wants Zimmerman. Not sure I want to do that.My other pitchers are Bumgarner, Detwiler, Luebke, Lynn, and Smyly.
Unless your catcher situation is desperate a/o you have way too many starters I'd rather have all of those starters except for Smyly than Jesus. Lynn and Detwiler look like legit breakouts, the other 3 are just better than Jesus.

Any idea what the trade value of Jesus Montero is? He has catcher eligibility now.
Anyone? Typical 5x5.Guy is trying to unload Montero, and looking for a pitcher from me. Wants Zimmerman. Not sure I want to do that.My other pitchers are Bumgarner, Detwiler, Luebke, Lynn, and Smyly.
I would pass. I think is going to be decent, but not better than what should be any catcher on the waiver to make up for any of those pitchers.

When Utley comes off the DL what value would you put on him in a 12 team league? I'd be moving him for pitcher help.

When Utley comes off the DL what value would you put on him in a 12 team league? I'd be moving him for pitcher help.
Whatever you can get, at best I think he'll be a play 4-5 days/week type. He won't run and his power will probably dip even more because he can't drive with the knee, he'll basically have Joe Mauer upside except at 2B.

'MAC_32 said:
Problem is Molina is a known commodity, he's alright but not a difference maker. I'm thinking I under valued him at the beginning of the season but I'm also content with my wait and take what's left strategy which netted me two of Lucroy, Ramos, and Martin while I'm stronger elsewhere.At the end of the day, Yadier just isn't going to put up the numbers of a top 5 C. At this point you're really only selling him if someone sees career year, while possible it isn't something I'm going to bet on.
he ranked 7th last year. Is it so hard to believe moving up two slots?

How would you go about improving this team? 6x6 with OPB and Holds.

Right now I'm basically punting Holds and need some W's. I'm thinking of trying to trade for another quality starter packaging Andrus and Werth.

C Buster Posey, SF C

1B Miguel Cabrera, Det 1B, 3B

2B Brandon Phillips, Cin 2B

3B Hanley Ramirez, Mia SS, 3B

SS Jhonny Peralta, Det SS

OF Adam Jones, Bal OF

OF Nick Swisher, NYY OF

OF Josh Willingham, Min OF, DH

UTIL Jayson Werth, Wsh OF

Bench Elvis Andrus, Tex SS

Bench Adam Lind, Tor 1B

Bench Jason Kipnis, Cle 2B

P Justin Verlander, Det SP

P Yovani Gallardo, Mil SP

P Jonathan Papelbon, Phi RP

P Jason Motte, StL RP

P Daniel Bard, Bos RP, SP

P Alfredo Aceves, Bos RP

P Tyler Clippard, Wsh RP

P Chris Capuano, LAD SP

P Jason Vargas, Sea SP

Bench Brandon Beachy, Atl SP

Bench Chris Sale, CWS RP, SP

Bench Brandon McCarthy, Oak SP

Vargas and Capuano are my spot starters for the week. I add and drop as needed with 2 pitchers.

'MAC_32 said:
Problem is Molina is a known commodity, he's alright but not a difference maker. I'm thinking I under valued him at the beginning of the season but I'm also content with my wait and take what's left strategy which netted me two of Lucroy, Ramos, and Martin while I'm stronger elsewhere.At the end of the day, Yadier just isn't going to put up the numbers of a top 5 C. At this point you're really only selling him if someone sees career year, while possible it isn't something I'm going to bet on.
If 2 of Mauer, McCann, Posey, Wieters, Napoli, and Santana get hurt - maybe. Still has Avila and Jesus to deal with too.

'MAC_32 said:
If 2 of Mauer, McCann, Posey, Wieters, Napoli, and Santana get hurt - maybe. Still has Avila and Jesus to deal with too.
Would it shock you if Mauer or McCann got hurt? Those 2 get hurt every time they wake up in the morning to take a piss

'MAC_32 said:
Would it shock you if Mauer or McCann got hurt? Those 2 get hurt every time they wake up in the morning to take a piss
No, I'm just saying if I'm looking at the landscape right now I see Yadier as somewhere between the 7th and 9th best catcher so the amount of teams that may be interested in him in a 12 team mixed with 1 catcher is limited to 3. Then you need an owner on one of those teams to not like his catcher and like Yadier. If I'm sitting on one of my 3 listed above I'd rather hold steady with them and not give up something else of value to get Yadier.

'MAC_32 said:
No, I'm just saying if I'm looking at the landscape right now I see Yadier as somewhere between the 7th and 9th best catcher so the amount of teams that may be interested in him in a 12 team mixed with 1 catcher is limited to 3. Then you need an owner on one of those teams to not like his catcher and like Yadier. If I'm sitting on one of my 3 listed above I'd rather hold steady with them and not give up something else of value to get Yadier.
Gotcha. I dont disagree and Ive seen the same thing in my league. Basically only 3 teams starting a bad catcher in my league (Martin, Ramos, Pierzinski). There is also another team starting Jesus who is probably below Molina but not enough to make a move. So I agree I see only 3 teams with a worse catcher right now. Best thing to do with Molina is ride the hot streak and wait for some catcher injuries. They will come. Another great thing about Molina is he plays every day.

holy jesus, got a whopper of an offer today 5x5 (obp instead of avg)i get Fielder and Hamiltoni give Halladay and Longoria

c- Ruiz1b-Hosmer2b-Uggla3b-Longoriass-Castroof-Bonifacioof-Stantonof-Werthof-Maybinut-Chipperut-Rossdl-Ellsburybn-Craigbn-Infantesp-Halladaysp-Sabathiasp-Lincecumsp-Zimmermansp-Minorsp-Lynnp-Street, Adams, Cashner, Thornton

holy jesus, got a whopper of an offer today 5x5 (obp instead of avg)i get Fielder and Hamiltoni give Halladay and Longoria

c- Ruiz1b-Hosmer2b-Uggla3b-Longoriass-Castroof-Bonifacioof-Stantonof-Werthof-Maybinut-Chipperut-Rossdl-Ellsburybn-Craigbn-Infantesp-Halladaysp-Sabathiasp-Lincecumsp-Zimmermansp-Minorsp-Lynnp-Street, Adams, Cashner, Thornton
Id rather have Doc & Longo but its tempting

My pitching has been awful in my redraft league. If it was roto I would be done for the year, but thankfully its h2h. Which of my OFs should I trade and what type of pitcher should I expect back in return? Thought about trading Jones while he is hot, but I would hate myself if he keeps this up. The David Price owner needs OF help badly.

h2h 12 team with yahoo scoring

C: Yadier Molina

1B: Joey Votto

2B: Dan Uggla

SS: Hanley Ramirez

3B: Evan Longoria

OF: Andrew McCutchen, Desmond Jennings, Adam Jones

UTL: Mike Trout, Bryan LaHair

Bench: Alex Rios

2SP: Jon Lester, Yovani Gallardo

2RP: Carlos Marmol, Jim Johnson

4P: Matt Moore, Ricky Romero, Max Scherzer, Jamie Garcia, Justin Masterson, Derek Holland, Jarrod Parker, Trevor Bauer

DL: Chase Utley, Brett Gardner

'MAC_32 said:
I think him regressing below his career rates after this streak is more likely than him maintaining last season. If you can move him, I would.

'shadyridr said:
'Annyong said:

In an OBP league, I'd much rather have the 2 bats.

'Matthias said:
My pitching has been awful in my redraft league. If it was roto I would be done for the year, but thankfully its h2h. Which of my OFs should I trade and what type of pitcher should I expect back in return? Thought about trading Jones while he is hot, but I would hate myself if he keeps this up. The David Price owner needs OF help badly.

4P: Matt Moore, Ricky Romero, Max Scherzer, Jamie Garcia, Justin Masterson, Derek Holland, Jarrod Parker, Trevor Bauer

I don't think you have the OFer to make a Price deal happen unless he was really high on Jennings. I'd expect more like a Josh Hamilton for Price personally. Your other problem is you don't have great depth so if you trade someone who do you start? LaHair is living on borrowed time and will come back to Earth soon. And Longoria is now injured for a yet-to-be-determined length of time.Gotta play the WW/call-up lottery.
Crack cocaine. Only if Hamilton needs to hit the DL for more than the minimum from this back injury.

'shadyridr said:
'Annyong said:

w/ my pitching staff i was all set to accept the trade. then longoria got hurt, and i couldnt be that guy.

'shadyridr said:
'Annyong said:

If Hamilton were to stay healthy Id agree. He wont. Also both Longo & Halladay went before the other two in drafts. Only thing that has changed since then has been Hamiltons hot streak

Last edited by a moderator:
'shadyridr said:
'Annyong said:

If Hamilton were to stay healthy Id agree. He wont. Also both Longo & Halladay went before the other two in drafts. Only thing that has changed since then has been Hamiltons hot streak
Halladay shouldnt have gone before Fielder in an OBP league, and the missed time with Hamilton is a given. The question is what is his production when healthy - great or best player in the game. I'd take the chance he's repeating 2010.

'Matthias said:

I don't think you have the OFer to make a Price deal happen unless he was really high on Jennings. I'd expect more like a Josh Hamilton for Price personally. Your other problem is you don't have great depth so if you trade someone who do you start? LaHair is living on borrowed time and will come back to Earth soon. And Longoria is now injured for a yet-to-be-determined length of time.Gotta play the WW/call-up lottery.
You don't consider McCutchen, Jennings, Jones, Gardner, Trout, and Rios as great OF depth in a 3 OF league?

Is Molina, CDavis, & JimJohnson too much to give up for Kendrys Morales? I play in a weekly pts league so if Kendrys is in a platoon all year that would hurt his value. I dont really need JimJohnson as we only start two RPs and I also have Jansen, Marshall, Luebke, & Sale who are all RP eligible. And I already have Santana at catcher. I still feel like its too much. Molina alone has severely outplayed Morales so far.

FYI I made the same offer for Freddie Freeman and havent heard back yet.

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:

Crack cocaine. Only if Hamilton needs to hit the DL for more than the minimum from this back injury.
In this kind of setup, I'd see the replacement player for SP to be much lower than an OF. So I'd want an OF1 back for Price.For Hamilton, you always have to build in 15-20 games missed a season for injury.
Looking for an OF1 with #1 overall upside for an SP2 is pretty much a non-starter.

'Matthias said:

You don't consider McCutchen, Jennings, Jones, Gardner, Trout, and Rios as great OF depth in a 3 OF league?
No.McCutch is a lower OF1, Jones is a good OF2, and Jennings + Trout are risk/reward OF3's. Rios is a notch below Jennings/Trout and if Gardner is batting 9th and sitting vs. lefties he's very limited value-wise.

'Matthias said:
Looking for an OF1 with #1 overall upside for an SP2 is pretty much a non-starter.
I ran his league settings in lastplayerpicked allocating 5 bench spots to pitcher and 1 bench spot to utility as he has his bench using 2012 composite projections.Greinke - $23.JJohnson - $23.Cain - $23.Sabathia - $21.Kennedy - $20.Price - $20.Wilson - $20.Wainwright - $20.Hudson - $19.Latos - $18.Bumgarner - $18.Upton - $25.Granderson - $22.Holliday - $22.Stanton - $20.Hamilton - $19.McCutchen - $19.Pence - $17.Cruz - $17.Bruce - $15.Jones - $14.I left off a number of SPs and a couple of OFs at the top and a lot beneath for both. You have to incorporate league settings when valuing players.These values might change somewhat (although I'm not exactly sure how) in the context of H2H. But I'd say they're close enough for the point.
I wish I had known about that site earlier...wow. It's blocked at work, so I'll have to check out the entire list later.Thanks!

'Matthias said:

No.McCutch is a lower OF1, Jones is a good OF2, and Jennings + Trout are risk/reward OF3's. Rios is a notch below Jennings/Trout and if Gardner is batting 9th and sitting vs. lefties he's very limited value-wise.
Yeah, I'm going to disagree. My preseason rankings I had McCutchen #8, Jennings #16, and Jones #25 and that is accounting for dual position eligibility of Bautista, Zobrist, Morse, and Berkman.But I digress. Matthias illustrated I was overvaluing OF compared to SP.

Is Molina, CDavis, & JimJohnson too much to give up for Kendrys Morales? I play in a weekly pts league so if Kendrys is in a platoon all year that would hurt his value. I dont really need JimJohnson as we only start two RPs and I also have Jansen, Marshall, Luebke, & Sale who are all RP eligible. And I already have Santana at catcher. I still feel like its too much. Molina alone has severely outplayed Morales so far.FYI I made the same offer for Freddie Freeman and havent heard back yet.
bump

Is Molina, CDavis, & JimJohnson too much to give up for Kendrys Morales? I play in a weekly pts league so if Kendrys is in a platoon all year that would hurt his value. I dont really need JimJohnson as we only start two RPs and I also have Jansen, Marshall, Luebke, & Sale who are all RP eligible. And I already have Santana at catcher. I still feel like its too much. Molina alone has severely outplayed Morales so far.FYI I made the same offer for Freddie Freeman and havent heard back yet.
bump
i dont think i would accept that if i had Morales, but i'd be tempted if i needed a closer.

bump
i dont think i would accept that if i had Morales, but i'd be tempted if i needed a closer.
his two closers are Guerra & Bell. His catcher is Wilson Ramos

bump
I think you are over-paying as I'm not sure Morales will get more than 400 ABs.FWIW, ZIPS(updated0 has him projected to get 358 ABs with 12hrs, 42r, 51 rbi, and .282 average.

bump
It's 3-1 so the other owner is going to have to drop 2 people.

'Matthias said:
I ran his league settings in lastplayerpicked allocating 5 bench spots to pitcher and 1 bench spot to utility as he has his bench using 2012 composite projections.Greinke - $23.JJohnson - $23.Cain - $23.Sabathia - $21.Kennedy - $20.Price - $20.Wilson - $20.Wainwright - $20.Hudson - $19.Latos - $18.Bumgarner - $18.Upton - $25.Granderson - $22.Holliday - $22.Stanton - $20.Hamilton - $19.McCutchen - $19.Pence - $17.Cruz - $17.Bruce - $15.Jones - $14.I left off a number of SPs and a couple of OFs at the top and a lot beneath for both. You have to incorporate league settings when valuing players.These values might change somewhat (although I'm not exactly sure how) in the context of H2H. But I'd say they're close enough for the point.
And what settings did you use for the Hitter/Pitcher split? There is a reason people pay more for hitting than an 'ideal' split. Just take a look at all the risk on the first list versus the second list. Plus, adding bench spots as starters my account for scarcity, but it messes up the pricing of the actual contributions of the players.

'Matthias said:
'dparker713 said:
'Matthias said:
And what settings did you use for the Hitter/Pitcher split? There is a reason people pay more for hitting than an 'ideal' split. Just take a look at all the risk on the first list versus the second list. Plus, adding bench spots as starters my account for scarcity, but it messes up the pricing of the actual contributions of the players.
Ideal/default split. If you're more risk averse, that's not something I would default consider.Not in the way that you hope. Adding bench players make them more scarce, driving up the price. By and large, bench hitters will be useless. They rarely get in. Bench starting pitchers, however, get all of their starts used as long as you're paying attention. You rotate them through the spots. So to the extent that the bench spots distorts pricing, it really only does so in favor of pricing hitters higher than they should be.But I don't really want to quibble LPP with you. It's right at a gut level. You only have 36 outfielders starting which can be plucked from the 90ish spots in MLB. Not all of those 90ish spots are regular starters so the pool is slightly smaller, obviously, but even so the league is basically starting the best outfielder on every team. The league is also going about 120 deep in starting pitchers. That's down to every team's 4th starter. That's a generally ugly lot. The difference between David Price, who could content for the CY this year, and some #4 is pretty significant. The difference between Adam Jones and whatever OF may emerge this year or even someone's #2 that is sitting on the wire, isn't so great. So I went to LPP just for some objective look at this. But it was true before.If Rascal's leaguemates think like you do, awesome for him. Trade every one of his OFers for SP2s imo. Replace the OF with the best guys on the waiver and score. And then if someone needs SP help, trade up again.
You're screwing the z-scores more than you're thinking and entirely discounting how valueable platooning hitters can be. But regardless, you're putting way too many SPs on rosters and ignoring the projectability gap between pitchers and hitters. Plus, there's the additional factor that in a league this shallow its easier to deal with the injury risk that Hamilton poses. In a league this size, I'd much rather grab as many stud hitters as I could and stock my pitching staff with relievers and stream.

holy jesus, got a whopper of an offer today 5x5 (obp instead of avg)

i get Fielder and Hamilton

i give Halladay and Longoria

c- Ruiz

1b-Hosmer

2b-Uggla

3b-Bonifacio

ss-Castro

of-Craig

of-Stanton

of-Werth

of-Maybin

ut-Chipper

ut-Ross

dl-Ellsbury

dl-Longoria

bn-Infante

sp-Halladay

sp-Sabathia

sp-Lincecum

sp-Zimmerman

sp-Minor

sp-Lynn

p-Street, Adams, Cashner, Thornton
after the Longoria offer, the trade has been changed to:Fielder

for

Halladay

Thornton

no brainer accept?

R Zimmerman, C Luebke, Y Cespedes

for

J Johnson, J Montero, J Ellsbury

Either side jump out as being much better or worse?

Anyone traded Pujols yet? Seriously starting to think about it in a keeper league where I have Freeman. I wouldn't sell him cheap, I'd still want a legit keeper back, but I can fill another hole or get a stud SP and some picks while still being able to plug Freeman in.

H2H, 9x9 league...any thoughts on me giving away Kinsler to get Votto?

My other players with 2B eligibility are Aviles, Kipnis, and Craig. My 1B eligible players are Sandoval (dangit) and Berkman (dangit) so I need some 1B help.

'Matthias said:
H2H, 9x9 league...any thoughts on me giving away Kinsler to get Votto?My other players with 2B eligibility are Aviles, Kipnis, and Craig. My 1B eligible players are Sandoval (dangit) and Berkman (dangit) so I need some 1B help.
Sounds like it would work for you but I'd ask for a little more in the trade, like swapping an SP2 for SP1.5. It's approximately equal but shaded slightly in his favor.How many teams in the league?
12 team league. thanks for the help. I countered with Kipnis and any of my SP except Felix which would give him the choice of Lynn, Lester, Luebke, Billingsley, or Jaime Garcia. If he doesn't take that I'll go your route..maybe Kinsler/Garcia for Votto/Cueto or something.

Users who are viewing this thread