What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (11 Viewers)

I don't think this played into the decision it but if Iran does bunker, CCV faces that almost every week in Scotland since that is how almost every team plays against Celtic.

Adams is out on yellows. Assuming CP is out, what is your starting lineup?

I like today's lineup but put Gio in for CP and Acosta in for Adams. Maybe swap Weah and Gio. Still leaves Aaronson as the first sub.

Adams is out on yellows. Assuming CP is out, what is your starting lineup?

I like today's lineup but put Gio in for CP and Acosta in for Adams. Maybe swap Weah and Gio. Still leaves Aaronson as the first sub.

I don't think Adams is out. Today was his first yellow I thought...??

Haji stood out as disappointing as well. He’s just big…didn’t excel at hold up play, wasn’t any danger with the ball, not dominant in the air. He and Shaq subbing in we’re for sure worst calls of the day. Got to believe the late game script would have been so much better with Jesus.

But super excited. This young core getting this experience should pay huge for years to come in this program

ok grade time for the first round

Turner: A- and the minus is only for the walkabout late against England. He has not been asked to do a ton but he been very clean, hands and feet.

Dest: B+ Weak first game but has played increasingly better in each game. He was very very strong today, especially in the first half. He is loaded with offensive talent. Just needs to find the high level consistency

Jedi: B- He is who we knew he was. Tremendous athlete, terrible feet, very good defender. I have no complaints. Put Vines feet on him and we have an hell of a player. The 270+ minutes ironman was needed given our other sub needs.

Ream: A Consistent, and clean through 3 games. Only once in 270+ minutes did he get caught in a one on one. Air game was more than good enough.

Zimm: C+ Very good defending but he has to lose at least a half a grade for the PK, it was unforgivable. Has not passed the ball well, but was absolutely titanic today as a sub. He really wanted to flush that PK out of his system I think.

Adams: A What else can you say. 270+ minutes, pressing, covering, getting to loose balls, being a pain in the ***. Yeah ok, he is not Pirlo with the ball but besides that, a fabulous 3 game performance.

Weston: B+ There are times you can really see his quality. I wish he was fully fit but I think GGG is milking his minutes to near perfection

Musah: B+ I know I know, every one is sick of hearing it, but jesus is he so close to being a top player. Just has to figure out the final 3rd.

Sargent: C+/B- Had the assist in the first game but was invisible outside of that. Did nothing in second game as sub. Really really strong game today. His hold up play was on point and he worked his butt off.

Pulisic: A- Involved in both goals, and while having some loose touches at times, he was on the front foot a lot. if he (or more specifically his nut sack) has run his final race for this cup, he can hold his head high.

Weah: B+ He is a tough one to grade some times. The goal was really well taken and almost had a second today if it wasn't for VAR. He also I thought combined well with Dest and Musah on the right. Had issues with final ball (like most others).

Aarsonson: B- He has not been quite the spark I hoped for off bench but if we had subbed in a competent 9 today, I think he would have been a little better. He is a likely choice to start against the Dutch if Pulisic can't go

Acosta: B While he has not been involved a lot, either in a bad way or a good way, he did his job as a sub and probably saved the US's entire cup with his foul on Bale. I still wish he had taken that free kick today instead of Musah. Musah must have had some success in training I assume.

CCV: B You can see foot speed is an issue. I did like his timing on a couple of tackles from behind that allowed the US to recover possession quickly in first half. I am not sure he should start over Zimm against the Dutch but if he does I won't complain

Gio: INC Not enough to grade on

Moore: F If Ream was GGG's best choice, this has clearly been his worst. If he subs him in one more time with Scally and Yedlin available, I will lose it.

Haji: C- Big, slow, lacks some basic foot skills. I am not a fan.

I mentioned it at halftime... as well as they play- their final touch/ball is consistently so frustrating, it's... frustrating.

except for Jedi!

every touch of his is frustrating. good lord was he awful/great today. sooooo much room for him and Dest to bomb the wings- but it was like watching a U10 players first game- every touch getting further and further away and out of control. just awful and killed so many attacks that should/could've done a lot more. but he's a freak- and covered so much ground... and defended really well- so great/awful job Jedi!

I had hoped that the subs would be about seeing the game out through control and possession... clearly not. Shaq must have some blackmail info to keep getting PT- he has been terrible (and again, I though despite his club lack of play, he was consistently decent for the US when he featured for them).

:CPboner:

Musah and Swag were great today- and Adams even better. Weah and Sarge were fantastic as well... outside of that final touch.

Aaronson... he's looked good- but even for Leeds, it feels like he's lost all desire to attack the goal... getting in and around the box and always looking to pass it off. he needs to find some of that basement magic and get selfish around the goal. like Gio. but Gio's terrible, so I guess doesn't deserve to play when the games scream out for him over and over. over rated and terrible. should've brought Nips instead. :wall:

screw it though- great fight for them today and VERY deserved 3 points. Iran's best hope was to fall down in the box over and over again.

At the end of the day, Greg got us through to the knockout stages. He started the right guys and we got the results we needed. So....hard to kill him. Job done and anything after this is gravy.

But some of the subs have been really bad and whatever pissing match is going in with Gio needs to be squashed. He should have come on early against England (we basically had nothing to lose and needed a moment of brilliance) and we're going to need him at some point on Saturday. I understood (but disagreed with) not bringing him on against Wales. You want to tell me Morris's big body and top end speed (is he REALLY faster than Gio at this point? I have no idea) was the answer in a scramble situation? Ok, I can buy that.

Not saying Gio should start (the only way that happens with how everyone else is playing is with Weah as the 9, and we know that's not going to happen), but he should be the guy off the bench if we need a goal (or need to hold possession). But i have a feeling that if we're somehow leading (or even tied) on Saturday he will go Acosta.

Shaq Moore absolutely can not see the field again. Period. I get it....10 months ago he did a decent job making a few tackles in a CONCACAF game. But this is a totally different level and he has looked like a scared JV player out there. Could have easily cost us the game today. I dont think he's gonna blood Scally in a round of 16 match, so if we're making a late sub at RB on Saturday, just give me Yedlin. If he screws up, I'll live with it.

Will be interesting to see if its CCV or Zim on Saturday. I would think you go CCV, as he has more (not a lot, but more) experience going up against the sort of attackers the Dutch have. And I dont believe the Dutch rely too heavily on the aerial game, where Zim is probably better.

Adams and Musah are going to be sold for BIG $$ by next summer. Will be interesting to see what happens with CP as well. Does this performance inspire Chelsea to play him? I doubt it.

Yeah, Jedi's touch frustrated me too. It seems like every time he got to top speed, the Iranians kinda sat off and baited him into taking one last big touch...and then they jumped him and took it.

But yeah, that kid can run fast as hell for freaking days. He's probably running laps around the stadium as we speak.

Weah: B+ He is a tough one to grade some times. The goal was really well taken and almost had a second today if it wasn't for VAR. He also I thought combined well with Dest and Musah on the right. Had issues with final ball (like most others).
Just being able to time runs and be dangerous on that right side with Dest earns him this grade IMO. Throw in the goal and almost-goal and I'd give him an A. He's been a real problem.

Man, being disconnected form the USMT news and a lot of the build up for the first time in a long time was actually nice. No expectations based on talking heads or my bad analysis. I LOVE this team. They were the better team against Wales for one half, England the entire game and could have had 3-4 today.

Inject it into my veins

Just being able to time runs and be dangerous on that right side with Dest earns him this grade IMO. Throw in the goal and almost-goal and I'd give him an A. He's been a real problem.

That right side partnership that Dest and Weah have had these 3 games is exactly what we have hoped for. They are a problem for any defense in the world.

Yeah...it's been great seeing frosty Dest instead of soggy Dest. I hope hell have some time to attack vs the Dutch, especially if CP is out.

And I'm #1Hajifan around here...but good lord was he worse than bad today. Every decision the wrong one, every touch poor. Just needed a guy to go up there, win and hold some balls and draw some fouls. He didn't get that memo.

Haven’t read any replies since the game but my initial thoughts were:

We have to try a false 9 but clear Berhalter never will. Haji Wright is brutal and Sargent was passable but that’s his ceiling.

Shaq Moore should never see the field again. He is a major liability.

I liked the CCV change I thought he played well. Overall great energy first half, they needed to bring more in the second half. They need to find the killer instinct to put a team away. Almost did with Weah but got called offsides. Excited for the Netherlands, anything here on out is gravy but think we are winning despite Berhalter as I have for months now.

And I'm #1Hajifan around here...but good lord was he worse than bad today. Every decision the wrong one, every touch poor. Just needed a guy to go up there, win and hold some balls and draw some fouls. He didn't get that memo.

it reminded me of the game that I think sunk Pefok's chances when he subbed on against Mexico, missed the sitter and then proceeded to not run his butt off with the only fresh legs on the field.

I in no way think Jesus is the answer but I don't want to see Haji again. Hopefully Sargent is healthy enough to start and then Jesus can come in as a sub.

Haven’t read any replies since the game but my initial thoughts were:

We have to try a false 9 but clear Berhalter never will. Haji Wright is brutal and Sargent was passable but that’s his ceiling.

Shaq Moore should never see the field again. He is a major liability.

I liked the CCV change I thought he played well. Overall great energy first half, they needed to bring more in the second half. They need to find the killer instinct to put a team away. Almost did with Weah but got called offsides. Excited for the Netherlands, anything here on out is gravy but think we are winning despite Berhalter as I have for months now.
If that was a passable performance by Sarge, I guess his ship has sailed for you. Guy did everything needed, and did it well...other than his final touch...like the rest of his teammates. He'll never be a superstar, but I honestly couldn't have asked for more from him today.

I mentioned it at halftime... as well as they play- their final touch/ball is consistently so frustrating, it's... frustrating.

except for Jedi!

every touch of his is frustrating. good lord was he awful/great today. sooooo much room for him and Dest to bomb the wings- but it was like watching a U10 players first game- every touch getting further and further away and out of control. just awful and killed so many attacks that should/could've done a lot more. but he's a freak- and covered so much ground... and defended really well- so great/awful job Jedi!

I had hoped that the subs would be about seeing the game out through control and possession... clearly not. Shaq must have some blackmail info to keep getting PT- he has been terrible (and again, I though despite his club lack of play, he was consistently decent for the US when he featured for them).

:CPboner:

Musah and Swag were great today- and Adams even better. Weah and Sarge were fantastic as well... outside of that final touch.

Aaronson... he's looked good- but even for Leeds, it feels like he's lost all desire to attack the goal... getting in and around the box and always looking to pass it off. he needs to find some of that basement magic and get selfish around the goal. like Gio. but Gio's terrible, so I guess doesn't deserve to play when the games scream out for him over and over. over rated and terrible. should've brought Nips instead. :wall:

screw it though- great fight for them today and VERY deserved 3 points. Iran's best hope was to fall down in the box over and over again.
Jedi has to be exhausted. He's been up and down non-stop for 270 minutes. Heavy legs produce heavy touches. I'm done fixating on his limitations. He does so many other things well and there's not another left back in the rotation that is near his league. Yeah, I wish his crossing was more precise, but that probably describes 30 of the left backs in the tournament.

Dest has games where his touch lets him down too. And then he has games like today where you can imagine him playing for literally anyone.

When do the yellows reset?

at the round of 16. I am pretty sure if we get a win, no one will have to sit out the quarters if they get a yellow. If some one gets a red then they would have sit the quarter finals.
Unfortunately I don’t believe this is accurate. Everyone goes back to zero after the round of 16, but if you get your second yellow in the round of 16 you miss the quarters.

When do the yellows reset?

at the round of 16. I am pretty sure if we get a win, no one will have to sit out the quarters if they get a yellow. If some one gets a red then they would have sit the quarter finals.
Unfortunately I don’t believe this is accurate. Everyone goes back to zero after the round of 16, but if you get your second yellow in the round of 16 you miss the quarters.

ahh I did not realize that. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread