What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Rashee Rice, KC (6 Viewers)

Because they walked away from an accident they caused and took the guns with them. Why wouldn’t they just leave them if they were legally registered? There would be no reason based on your logic
First, no one knows what they took from the car. So let's start with this: baseless speculation. Some woman was heard at the accident, on a phone video, SPECULATING.

Second, there's no reason to remove your guns if they are registered? Really?

That's absurd
Was there a reason to walk away from an accident you caused?

As far as the speculation about guns, you asked the question if anyone cared if they removed guns? I think it’s very relevant.

I'm not 100% certain about this one, but while most jurisdictions require passengers to remain at the scene of an accident, Texas does not. Apparently both witnesses and passengers are free to leave the scene, and even expected to in dangerous high traffic situations.

Because they walked away from an accident they caused and took the guns with them. Why wouldn’t they just leave them if they were legally registered? There would be no reason based on your logic
First, no one knows what they took from the car. So let's start with this: baseless speculation. Some woman was heard at the accident, on a phone video, SPECULATING.

That's absurd

As far as the speculation about guns, you asked the question if anyone cared if they removed guns? I think it’s very relevant.

I'm not 100% certain about this one, but while most jurisdictions require passengers to remain at the scene of an accident, Texas does not. Apparently both witnesses and passengers are free to leave the scene, and even expected to in dangerous high traffic situations.
There is his out for why he left. Slap on the wrist if this is the new spin.

As far as the speculation about guns, you asked the question if anyone cared if they removed guns? I think it’s very relevant
No guns involved in the car accident.

Why would it matter if they had guns?
At this risk of going in a circle, were they guns legally obtained? If not, big problem. Also, guys with such little moral code who would walk away from an accident they caused walking around with guns would concern me for others peoples safety.

But they probably took them in the name of public safety being the concerned citizens they are. Wouldn’t want a child to get hurt if they picked it up 👍

If there were guns everything is dependent on whether they acquired and possessed them legally ... If legally? Then it shouldn't mean anything whatsoever.

Feels like the biggest factor is....was he driving?....if he was, then there will be trouble....if not....I hate to say it like this, but there will be nothing and you could say he didn't do anything wrong....got scared and left.....is that a d-bag move when people are hurt.....sure.....but is it illegal...?....if you weren't driving, is leaving the scene of an accident illegal...?
It’s his car. It’s pretty safe to assume he was driving. One way or another this is probably the easiest part to prove since there are cameras everywhere all the time these days.
I mean assuming things is never really a good option....no harm in waiting to find out...I mean he could have gotten totally smashed at the bowling alley and let one of his buddies drive or something.....I could see that happening....he maybe makes a good decision not to drive and then his buddy gets carried away and caught up in a race.....heck Rice could have even been encouraging him to race his car....if a scenario like that plays out, he very well could get off with nothing ....I mean I get it....the fact that it was his car or whatever and that nowadays surveillance video is everywhere and they should be able to figure out who was driving.....but if the windows are really tinted etc and it's not clear who was driving, who knows how this could play out....

driving.....big trouble

not driving.....6/88/1 in week one....
If he wasn’t driving, he wouldn’t have walked away. Well, unless he’s beyond stupid.
Huh? 4 guys walked away. 3 of them weren’t driving. But they still walked. Not following your logic here.
You’re kidding right?

Would be willing to bet Rice has a lot more to lose than the other gentlemen do. I seriously doubt he would take a bullet for them over this. Again, unless he is beyond stupid. If he wasn’t driving and still walked away from his Corvette which would identify him, then I guess he is.
How would he take a bullet by walking away if he isn’t driving? Serious question, is it illegal for a passenger to leave the scene? If it’s illegal, well, then my bad.

Feels like the biggest factor is....was he driving?....if he was, then there will be trouble....if not....I hate to say it like this, but there will be nothing and you could say he didn't do anything wrong....got scared and left.....is that a d-bag move when people are hurt.....sure.....but is it illegal...?....if you weren't driving, is leaving the scene of an accident illegal...?
It’s his car. It’s pretty safe to assume he was driving. One way or another this is probably the easiest part to prove since there are cameras everywhere all the time these days.
I mean assuming things is never really a good option....no harm in waiting to find out...I mean he could have gotten totally smashed at the bowling alley and let one of his buddies drive or something.....I could see that happening....he maybe makes a good decision not to drive and then his buddy gets carried away and caught up in a race.....heck Rice could have even been encouraging him to race his car....if a scenario like that plays out, he very well could get off with nothing ....I mean I get it....the fact that it was his car or whatever and that nowadays surveillance video is everywhere and they should be able to figure out who was driving.....but if the windows are really tinted etc and it's not clear who was driving, who knows how this could play out....

driving.....big trouble

not driving.....6/88/1 in week one....
If he wasn’t driving, he wouldn’t have walked away. Well, unless he’s beyond stupid.
Huh? 4 guys walked away. 3 of them weren’t driving. But they still walked. Not following your logic here.
You’re kidding right?

Would be willing to bet Rice has a lot more to lose than the other gentlemen do. I seriously doubt he would take a bullet for them over this. Again, unless he is beyond stupid. If he wasn’t driving and still walked away from his Corvette which would identify him, then I guess he is.
How would he take a bullet by walking away if he isn’t driving? Serious question, is it illegal for a passenger to leave the scene? If it’s illegal, well, then my bad.

answered this just a couple posts up

Yeah, I'd drop the firearms angle until there's some kind of real evidence.
IMO there are a lot more things to worry about if I were Rice.

Like what? He left an accident which from what someone posted above is legal in Texas. Also, from what has been reported there were no major injuries.

The gun theory is one lady saying she saw bags being carried out of the cars. How would she know what was in the bags. Kinda like the guy who called and said he thought the cars were stolen.

He, or whoever was driving, will probably get a couple traffic tickets. Nothing really to see here outside of people overreacting.

I wonder if Rice left the scene because he was driving under the infuence and needed to sober up. Just a theory.
You think?
Or maybe it was guns and drugs...that's what has been suggested in social media

Thankfully they don't charge people based off of social media theories. If so he'd be going down for driving a stolen car 200 mph while running Kilo's of coke with an arsenal of illegal weapons.

unless they have video or a witness who is 100% sure they saw guns....like willing to testify under oath that they are 100% sure there were guns....then guns aren't an issue...and even if there is a witness, unless they are a firearms expert so to speak it would be very easy for the "crew" to say ok yeah we had guns and here "now" are the "legal" guns we had....and someone would have to prove they had different illegal guns if that is the rabbit hole they want to go down...

so I think it will be easy to get around the gun thing.....

so this all comes down to who was driving......if he was driving Rice would probably like to pin this on his fall guy and his fall guy is probably willing to take the hit......I would imagine what is happening right now is Rice and his attorneys are probably trying to figure out the fall guy angle and if they could be caught in a lie by witness/video surveillance etc....if he wasn't the driver, then ultimately maybe not much to see here....but if he was the driver and he and his attorneys decide admitting that is the route to go, then they have some explaining to do, but at this point an aggravating circumstance like DUI is probably off the table....

Like what? He left an accident which from what someone posted above is legal in Texas. Also, from what has been reported there were no major injuries.

The gun theory is one lady saying she saw bags being carried out of the cars. How would she know what was in the bags. Kinda like the guy who called and said he thought the cars were stolen.

He, or whoever was driving, will probably get a couple traffic tickets. Nothing really to see here outside of people overreacting.
Child endangerment from another car involved in the accident? Also, what is the law in Texas if someone causes an accident and leaves without even checking to see who's hurt?

Child endangerment from another car involved in the accident? Also, what is the law in Texas if someone causes an accident and leaves without even checking to see who's hurt?
You get served burnt brisket?

The big question for fantasy is how will the NFL view this? We already know they can act vastly different in different situations. Sometimes they don't do anything if the courts deem everything misdemeanors and sometimes Goodell brings the hammer.

From what someone posted above they have 10 days to report the accident and if the conditions are dangerous (which a freeway is) it's even recommended to leave and not stick around.

Highly doubt there is any kind of child endangerment charge. Car accidents happen all the time and parents drive around with kids in the car. There were no major injuries to anyone involved in the accident.

From what someone posted above they have 10 days to report the accident and if the conditions are dangerous (which a freeway is) it's even recommended to leave and not stick around.

Highly doubt there is any kind of child endangerment charge. Car accidents happen all the time and parents drive around with kids in the car. There were no major injuries to anyone involved in the accident.
If the car computers can tell how fast they are going and if going recklessly fast and they were obviously racing, do you think the NFL will react with going light on Rice?

Some folks on here are attorneys IIRC.

Is there a case to be made that, legally speaking, emptying out the cars of (all hypotheticals) unregistered guns, illegal drugs and sobering up would all be better off walking away and lawyering up, like they did? If you were a prosecutor, how would you prove that Rice was driving or any of the above? These guys are lawyering up and will certainly get someone smart and handle this to the best of their ability. IE he "definitely didn't drive" if it can't be proven that he drove. And the bags were all legal things they just didn't want to leave lying around an accident scene- oops! Didn't realize that was wrong-- sorry. Stuff like that.

The NFL may choose exempt list until he's legally charged but has in the past, generally acted pretty slowly- lately. Especially when it comes to legal issues. They wait-and-see.

I was surprised by how minor the penalty was for Kamara and how long it took to resolve that. It's been my take that if someone got seriously injured, this would matter (a LOT) more. The fact that it "could have happened" matters a lot less than "it didn't happen."

If the car computers can tell how fast they are going and if going recklessly fast and they were obviously racing, do you think the NFL will react with going light on Rice?

All depends on how it plays out legally. At this stage we don't even know if he was driving. Even if he was driving and speeding it might just end up a few tickets due to him having what I assume will be the best attorneys in the state.

The league might come down hard for optics and give him 4 games or so appealed down to 2. He's not getting 8+ games unless some really bad info comes out down the road. At this stage it just looks like an accident due to excessive speed. Big difference if he was going 25 over or 50 over the limit.

Has it actually been confirmed that Rice was even there? I saw there are photos of the guys who got out of the cars, but both places I saw them said that it was unclear if Rice was one of the people. Seems like that would be pretty easy to determine as the photos were pretty clear.

Has it actually been confirmed that Rice was even there? I saw there are photos of the guys who got out of the cars, but both places I saw them said that it was unclear if Rice was one of the people. Seems like that would be pretty easy to determine as the photos were pretty clear.

Haven't seen 100% confirmation on if he's in the pictures. Even if it can't be established 100% he should be honest about it. If he says he wasn't there and down the road it's proven he was he'd get cooked by the NFL. That would be a pretty bad lie to get caught up in.

ETA the counter of we expect every young millionaire to drive the speed limit with their Lamborghini doesn't seem reasonable
This is why every young athlete should have a handler. They’re simply not equipped to do sensible things right out of college and into that level of wealth.
I agree, but many aren't that smart. They are physically gifted and elite at their craft but that doesn't make them smart. They often think they are smarter than they are.

I cannot fathom this stuff still happening after guys like Ruggs etc. have killed people with their reckless behavior.

It was confirmed the "red cap" wearing person was Rahsee Rice and "supposition" is he was trying to hide is identity with the long red cap or rag over his head and turned back when he saw cameras. Again, wait & see, but more strikes against him ... though minor until proven in a court.

ETA: This was from other sources, not my take.

He will release a statement saying his interpreter was driving and this will go away.
Right? Gambling and hit and run car accidents are so similar
The similarity is what appears to be a lack of accountability from the players involved. My point is nothing to do with the severity of the actions.
He’s what 22 or 23? I think the meaningful piece of data here is young male, not his profession.
It's being handed a lot of money at 22 and not being very smart.

Sadly, the smartest thing these guys did was run from the accident. We will likely never know if the driver's were drunk, or if they left the scene with illegal items.
this.....they now have a chance to control the narrative here at least a little bit....if they would have stayed on scene they lose that edge.....the added charge on the driver (whoever that is) of leaving the scene could probably end up being worth it in the long run compared to what could have happened if they stayed....

ETA the counter of we expect every young millionaire to drive the speed limit with their Lamborghini doesn't seem reasonable
This is why every young athlete should have a handler. They’re simply not equipped to do sensible things right out of college and into that level of wealth.
I agree, but many aren't that smart. They are physically gifted and elite at their craft but that doesn't make them smart. They often think they are smarter than they are.

I cannot fathom this stuff still happening after guys like Ruggs etc. have killed people with their reckless behavior.
“It would never happen to me” syndrome.

The big question for fantasy is how will the NFL view this? We already know they can act vastly different in different situations. Sometimes they don't do anything if the courts deem everything misdemeanors and sometimes Goodell brings the hammer.
I could see the NFL suspending him a full season and maybe it gets reduced to half a year or something if he agrees to certain terms.

Excessive speeding - gets away with a ticket
Racing and endangering others - this is where it starts to get grim
Causing a multi-car accident where there are injuries - not good
Fleeing a multi-car accident where there are injuries - wtf are you thinking? Either intoxicated or have something illegal in the car. This is what is going to get him. NFL can do their own investigation and analysis of the situation and it has nothing to do with the courts/legal side of things.

If I was the NFL, especially after the Ruggs incident, I could see him getting a year. Rice is lucky he didn't kill someone. The people hurt in this accident will get all his cash. There are multiple videos of the accident and pictures/proof of him fleeing the scene.

Not a good look for him. Again, he is lucky he didn't kill someone.

Sadly, the smartest thing these guys did was run from the accident. We will likely never know if the driver's were drunk, or if they left the scene with illegal items.
And that is what is going to end up costing Rice in the end. Both through a suspension and owing the injured people a lot of money.

I could see the NFL suspending him a full season and maybe it gets reduced to half a year or something if he agrees to certain terms.

Excessive speeding - gets away with a ticket
Racing and endangering others - this is where it starts to get grim
Causing a multi-car accident where there are injuries - not good
Fleeing a multi-car accident where there are injuries - wtf are you thinking? Either intoxicated or have something illegal in the car. This is what is going to get him. NFL can do their own investigation and analysis of the situation and it has nothing to do with the courts/legal side of things.

If I was the NFL, especially after the Ruggs incident, I could see him getting a year. Rice is lucky he didn't kill someone. The people hurt in this accident will get all his cash. There are multiple videos of the accident and pictures/proof of him fleeing the scene.

Not a good look for him. Again, he is lucky he didn't kill someone.
Yeah, it's pretty mind boggling how "luck" does play into these situations. If a car was positioned a different way or if a small car had been hit instead of say an SUV, someone could have died. Difference between getting off with paying out some money or getting a "suspension" vs spending serious time in prison.

That's absurd

I don't believe this to be accurate. At a minimum you have to ID yourself and render aid if someone was hurt. You can't just bolt and everything is ok.

Kansas City Chiefs WR Rashee Rice's lawyer releases statement following Dallas crash

Excerpts:

"On behalf of Rashee Rice, his thoughts are with everyone impacted by the automobile accident on Saturday. Rashee is cooperating with local authorities and will take all necessary steps to address this situation responsibly. Any and all requests for comment can be directed to his attorney Mr. Royce West of West & Associates, LLP."

Rice's lawyer is the Managing Partner of West & Associates, LLP, and has been practicing law for nearly 40 years. He is also a Texas State Senator serving the people of the state's 23rd Senatorial District. Here's a snippet from West's bio:

"Texas Monthly has named him as one of the 25 most powerful people in Texas politics, and has made the magazine’s “Ten Best Legislators in Texas” list, which is published once every other year.

Okay. The first thing is the first thing. The accident. There is a video of the accident involving all the cars. I'm pretty sure speed can be calculated from the video alone. You then have video evidence that there was reckless operation of vehicles causing injuries. This has to be chargeable and my guess is the prosecution would have enough video evidence to say enough is there for charges. Felony charges are a pretty good assumption.

Leaving an accident where people are injured can not be legal and if it is what the heck is wrong with Texas? I still want to see where it is okay to leave an accident on foot with a 6 car pile-up. It's not like a fender bender and you swap insurances and call it a day. People were injured. In Texas, do you get to say peace out? See ya later. LOL.

It's so early and it will get worked out. The video alone will cause Rice some problems. I'm glad no one was hurt but it is not going to just go away.

I always understand this logic only initially. This is the world we wish we lived in but sadly it's not it.
We're generally a bunch of fools that only learn from mistakes made by people close to us or maybe if the govt/schools hammer a point home.
A zillion people have been in accidents racing and people still do.
Insert some other driving mistakes here...and people still do it.
It's messed up but I guess "that's life" expression
Can you imagine how much safer we'd be if one dwi 100 years ago made everyone never do it? Sad but...

He’s not 22 years old as I’ve seen posted a few times, he will be 24 years old in a few weeks and he also has 2 kids, I didn’t see that mentioned, don’t know if it matters, but I’m sure he wouldn’t be too happy if someone had caused a crash that involved his children and fled from the scene. Rashee Rice is a grown man, he’s not young and dumb, he’s just dumb, at least regarding this situation. I’m sure he’s really a pretty smart man, he picked up the Chiefs playbook faster than anyone expected.

This just went down in a 16 team dynasty league (with IDP)

Team A gave up Rice, Rashee KCC WR
Team B gave up Year 2024 Draft Pick 2.10; Year 2024 Draft Pick 4.01

Sold too low imo.

I’m holding and, if he misses 1/2 a season, then so be it and hopefully he can sit on IR depending on your league’s settings.

I offered 2nds in all my leagues and was denied with no counter. kInd of what I expected but in the past owners have panic sold players like Hunt and Hill.

This guy is on FBG's staff and is a practicing attorney. He does updates when players get in legal trouble. Twitter thread on Rice is here:

Here's some relevant info from the thread (I believe that "D" in the second paragraph refers to "defendant"):

My educated guess is that it's not likely to end up with any serious consequence for him.Why not? Let's break it down from a few different angles. These cases are notoriously difficult to prosecute because the main element to prove is placing the person behind the wheel.

The "elements" of the case are what the prosecutor needs to win the case. They have to prove that it happened in the court's jurisdiction, by the defendant, and each part of the crime happened as well. Simple example: Assault - Knowingly cause or attempt to cause physical harm to another. The elements are, did it happen here, by this D, and did the D attempt to cause harm. For this case the main elements that give the prosecutor trouble are proving that the person was there AND was behind the wheel.

By now we've all seen the picture and video that shows someone who looks like Rice and a few other men walking away on the highway.That would seem to place Rice at the scene although I confess that if I saw him on the street I doubt I'd recognize him.

So this brings up the next part of the case and that's placing Rice behind the wheel. A wrinkle in this case is that we don't know who identified him as a driver, or if he was identified as a driver at all. Cross-racial identification issues are a real thing.

As a result, eyewitness accounts are notoriously fraught with issues.We've all seen the dashcam video by now as well, but it comes back to the same issues with eyewitness testimony.If that video is the best they have I'm withholding judgment.

Now pile all this stuff on top of each other
- High speed accident
- How is the ID made?
- How is Rice placed behind the wheel?
- Is there any evidence of any other wrongdoing?
The prosecutor may very well overcome all that, but you can see why I'm not jumping to conclusions about an outcome here. My fantasy opinion wrapped in my legal opinion is quite simple: I'm not worried. Yet. If new facts come out about aggravating factors - DUI, guns, more serious injury - then we can sound the alarm.

But, until that point, I don't see this ending up as a major problem for Rice in 2024 and beyond.I think it's quite possible he ends up missing no time on the field, or worst case a game or two. I struggle to see how it goes beyond that absent some major new facts.

Users who are viewing this thread