What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Devin Funchess, Lions (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Michigan working to get WR Devin Funchess back on track

Mark Snyder, Detroit Free Press

One of Michigan's biggest issues entering the bye week is improving the play of receiver Devin Funchess.

Entering the season as a popular all-conference selection, Funchess was dominant in the first half of the Appalachian State game when he scored three touchdowns.

Since then he has just one, and each week he seems to regress.

He has had only one 100-yard game in the Week 2 blowout loss to Notre Dame and had his lowest production of the season in Saturday's 10-9 win over Northwestern: two catches for 23 yards.

Funchess, who at 6-feet-5, 230 pounds is projected by many as a future NFL receiver and a possible first-round draft pick, has struggled with dropped passes. Against the Wildcats, there were two first-half passes on third down that he couldn't pull in.

"We coach him, there's been guys who have gone through that in the past," U-M coach Brady Hoke said after the Northwestern game. "We do a lot of JUGS (machine) work, we do a lot of routes on air. You've just got to keep coaching him through that."

Hoke said he's not worried, though.

"No, (but) would I like him to catch them, sure," Hoke said. "He'd like to catch them."

Last edited by a moderator:
John Elway's design benefiting Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos

Excerpt:

1) Michigan WR/TE Devin Funchess (at Michigan State, 3:30 p.m. ET, ABC): It's not often that evaluators can't decide whether a player is a wide receiver or a tight end, but that's the case here. One AFC college director told me Funchess is strictly a wideout. Another veteran exec said he sees him purely as a move tight end. Meanwhile, an AFC GM said he could be either. One thing you can say for certain about Funchess, at 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds, is that this "problem" is a good one for him. The exec compared him to Julius Thomas. The GM said he sees him in a Jimmy Graham-type role: "He's very talented, a legit first-rounder." And the Michigan State tape figures to be the first one a lot of scouts pop in, with Funchess likely to see a lot of Spartan standout Trae Waynes. Funchess isn't the only receiver to watch in this one, either. State's big outside target, Tony Lippett, has improved big-time this year, and the college director said he could see him sneaking into the second round.

Sources Tell Us: What we're hearing about top NFL prospects

Excerpt:

The scoop: "(Devin Funchess) is playing wide receiver this year, but he's the poster child for this era's tight end in the NFL." -- retired NFL front-office executive

The skinny: This is the second time the Michigan receiver has been mentioned in this space. Two weeks ago, an NFC personnel executive assigned Funchess a Jimmy Graham comp and said he preferred the wideout as a tight end at the next level. That seems to be a growing consensus among NFL scouts. At 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds, he certainly has the body of an NFL tight end.

Sources Tell Us: What we're hearing about top NFL prospects

Excerpt:

The scoop: "Devin Funchess is one of the best players I've seen this fall. He could play wideout at the next level but I prefer him at tight end. He can do a lot of the things that make Jimmy Graham special." -- NFC personnel executive

The skinny: Not all is bad coming out of Ann Arbor, apparently. After catching three touchdowns in the first half of Michigan's season opener, Funchess has been hampered by a leg injury that he says will give him "pain for the rest of the season." He leads the Wolverines with 24 catches for 321 yards and the three TDs, despite missing an entire game with the injury. Last year he transitioned from tight end to receiver, but it looks like his days as a tight end aren't over yet for the 6-foot-5, 230-pound player. Graham, by the way, is two inches taller and 35 pounds heavier.

Bucky's Best: Top CFB matchups to watch in Week 2

Excerpt:

Best wide receiver-cornerback matchup: Michigan WR Devin Funchess vs. Notre Dame CB Cole LukeWhen Funchess requested the No. 1 jersey in the spring, he certainly understood the expectations that accompanied wearing a jersey that's associated with some of the most prolific pass catchers in school history (Anthony Carter, David Terrell and Braylon Edwards). He certainly lived up to the tradition in the opener when he snagged seven receptions for 95 yards and three scores. The former tight end dominates defenders with his superior size (6-5, 230 pounds) and length, Funchess has the ability to box out defenders or win contested balls on the outside. Thus, he presents an imposing challenge to the smallish defenders on the perimeter.

Luke played well in the opener against Rice, surrendering only two completions in the game. The impressive performance comes as a bit of a surprise after the 5-11, 190-pound sophomore started the season slated for backup duty until KeiVarae Russell was suspended prior to the season amid allegations of academic fraud. While Luke enters the game with plenty of experience after logging 300-plus snaps as a nickel back and corner last year, he hasn't faced a polished, big-bodied receiver with Funchess' skills. Given the challenge of defending a big target near the red zone, Luke's performance will go a long way in determining whether the Fighting Irish will slow down the Wolverines' offense.

Rotoworld:

Michigan junior TE Devin Funchess is the No. 1 draft-eligible underclassmen TE, according to ESPN's Mel Kiper.

"A tight end often in name only, like Tyler Eifert at Notre Dame or Eric Ebron at North Carolina, you'll see the long-armed, 6-5 Funchess across the formation at X or Y, and he can be used out of the slot, too," Kiper wrote. "What you won't see him do is block very often, but that's not a worry for the Wolverines, and it won't be for NFL scouts, either." Funchess posted 49 receptions for 748 yards and six TDs last season. If Michigan's QB play is better in 2014 than it was in 2013 -- as expected -- and Funchess takes another developmental step forward, he should easily surpass those numbers this fall. "He's a weapon in the passing game, a power forward working against smaller defenders, and a guy who can stretch the field and can also run after the catch on short stuff," Kiper wrote.

Source: ESPN Insider
Jun 15 - 12:17 AM
Michigan junior TE Devin Funchess ranks as one of the Big 10's best breakout candidates, according to NFL.com.

The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Funchess is a player to target in fantasy drafts. "As a tight end, his size is average but his athleticism is off the charts; as a wide receiver, his size is off the charts but his athleticism is somewhat average," noted the website. Listed as a tight end, the long-limbed junior is often spread out wide, as UNC used Eric Ebron last year. Funchess collected 49 receptions for 748 yards and six TDs as the Big 10's best tight end last season, and he'll easily surpass those numbers in 2014. "Michigan is hoping his size leads to a lot of mismatches on the outside; in addition, his athleticism can be put to good use in a variety of ways, which means it is up to new coordinator Doug Nussmeier to feature Funchess," NFL.com observed. "Funchess has the speed to get deep, and while he can add bulk and strength and become a better blocker, his pass-catching ability already has caught scouts' eyes."

Source: NFL.com
Jun 15 - 3:43 PM
Michigan junior WR/TE Devin Funchess "has all the makings of a future first-round pick," and reminds CBS Sports' Dane Brugler of a "younger Jermichael Finley at Texas."

"Funchess is a mismatch nightmare against linebackers and smaller defensive backs and with improved consistency, he has all the makings of a future first-round pick, reminiscent of a younger Jermichael Finley at Texas," Brugler wrote. The 6-foot-5, 230 pound WR/TE hybrid has tremendous size and athleticism, and lined up at both receiver and tight end as a sophomore and freshman. Brugler adds that Funchess "is expected to be a full-time wideout in 2014." Last season Funchess hauled in 49 receptions for 748 yards and six TDs.

Source: CBS Sports
Jul 26 - 11:59 AM
TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline grades Michigan junior WR/TE Devin Funchess as a first-rounder.

The 6-foot-5, 230-pound WR/TE hybrid has tremendous size and athleticism, and has lined up at both receiver and tight end positions over the past two seasons. CBS Sports' Dane Brugler wrote last month that Funchess "has all the makings of a future first-round pick," and reminds him of a "younger Jermichael Finley at Texas." Funchess said recently that he is currently taking 100 percent of his snaps as an outside WR. "I don’t know what they’re going to do during the season, how that’s going to work out, but right now, I’m just 100 percent outside," he said.

Source: TFY Draft Insider
Aug 4 - 10:11 PM
TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline isn't sold on the idea that shifting Michigan junior WR/TE Devin Funchess to receiver full time will help his draft stock.

The 6-foot-5, 230-pound hybrid has lined up at both receiver and tight end positions over the past two seasons. Funchess said recently that he is currently taking 100 percent of his snaps as an outside WR. "I don’t know how I feel about the expected move from tight end to wide receiver by Devin Funchess," Pauline wrote. "It will definitely help the Wolverines offense but will it help his draft stock? Funchess has established himself as a dominant pass catcher who makes the difficult reception down the field. His blocking is the question mark and though not terrible, it needs improving. Funchess has top 12 potential if the measurables are in line."

Source: TFY Draft Insider
Aug 7 - 9:28 PM
ESPN's Todd McShay grades Michigan junior WR/TE Devin Funchess as the No. 1 tight end prospect.

"Funchess lined up at wide receiver a lot of the time in 2013, and he is expected to do the same this season, but he might not be explosive or fast enough to play out wide in the NFL, instead projecting better as a flex tight end," McShay wrote. "He's rarely used as an in-line blocker and doesn't have the strength or bulk to hold up there in the pros. As a pass-catcher, he is quick enough to separate from linebackers and some safeties, and he shows good body control to adjust to passes thrown outside his frame. His speed-and-size combo makes him a threat both as a downfield route runner and after the catch." The 6-foot-5, 230-pound hybrid is exclusively lining up at wide receiver in practices with the Wolverines. Last season Funchess hauled in 49 receptions for 748 yards and six TDs.

Aug 24 - 11:27 PM
CBS Sports' Rob Rang compared Michigan junior WR Devin Funchess to Jimmy Graham while ranking Funchess as the No. 17 player on his board.

"Funchess doesn't offer the bulk and power of a traditional tight end but split out wide in a Jimmy Graham role, his speed, strong hands and incredible body control make him almost impossible to stop," Rang wrote. "Just ask Appalachian State, which surrendered three touchdowns to Funchess in his first official game as a wide receiver." Indeed, Funchess caught seven balls for 95 yards and three scores in a 52-14 victory. Last season, Funchess hauled in 49 receptions for 748 yards and six TDs. Rotoworld's Josh Norris compares Funchess to former FSU WR Kelvin Benjamin.

Sep 4 - 5:32 PM
Michigan junior WR Devin Funchess "has all the makings of a future top-15 draft pick if he eliminates the drops," according to CBS Sports' Rob Rang.

"Funchess is a freak athlete for his size and has all the makings of a future top-15 draft pick if he eliminates the drops," Rang wrote. The 6-foot-5, 230 pound Funchess has recorded 16 receptions for 202 yards and three touchdowns in two games this season. Michigan did not need Funchess' services in last weeks win over Miami(OH) as he was dealing with a leg injury.

Sep 19 - 3:44 PM
ESPN's Steve Muench ranks Michigan junior WR Devin Funchess as the No. 1 TE prospect.

"Funchess has the speed to play receiver, where he lines up now, and his NFL future may be on the outside as well," Muench wrote. "However, he has the frame to play F and he lined up at tight end earlier in his career. Funchess will never be an overpowering in-line run-blocker who can generate much push working against the front-side defensive end, but he could add 10 to 15 pounds and develop into a passable positional blocker with improved hand placement and pad level." The analyst believes the 6-foot-5 and 230-pound Funchess could stand to improve his ability to catch the ball away from his body. "But the reason he tops my board is his big-play ability. His speed, size and athleticism allow him to win 50-50 balls downfield," Muench wrote. "Plus, he has above-average burst after the catch. While he's also a big-play threat at receiver, he's that much more dangerous at tight end because he gets more favorable matchups."

Oct 21 - 5:37 PM
Sports Illustrated's Chris Burke ranks Michigan junior WR Devin Funchess No. 13 overall on his big board and believes "the Wolverines' myriad issues plus an ankle injury have kept Funchess' stats in check."

So far this season, the 6-foot-5 and 230-pound Funchess has just 36 catches, 461 yards, and four TDs. Burke points out the play where Funchess hauled in a 43-yard touchdown against Penn State where he made an adjustment on the play and went up and attacked the ball over the safety, as "reminder of what he's capable of."

Source: Sports Illustrated
Oct 22 - 2:26 PM

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler wrote that Michigan junior WR Devin Funchess, "drops more easy passes than he should."

Brugler compared Funchess to the Lions' Eric Ebron, who was drafted in the first round last year (as Funchess most likely will be this season.) Funchess is in a strange situation, as he's a physical stud at 6-foot-5, 230-pounds stuck in a Michigan offense that simply doesn't work. Brugler wrote that he's been "better at receiver this season than he was the past two years at tight end, demonstrating the combination of size, body control and sticky hands to project very well to the next level." Rotoworld's Josh Norris referred to Funchess as "a lethal vertical receiver, thanks to his downfield speed and potential catch radius." Given his size, Norris believes that an obvious NFL comparable would be Panthers' rookie WR Kelvin Benjamin, who is currently in the thick of the NFL Rookie of the Year race.

Oct 30 - 6:23 PM

As a Michigan fan, I'll say he is going to be a stud, if he can stay healthy. He seems to get nicked up, so far.

His biggest detriment right now is playing with the worst QB Michigan has had in a LONG time.

As a Michigan fan, I'll say he is going to be a stud, if he can stay healthy. He seems to get nicked up, so far.

His biggest detriment right now is playing with the worst QB Michigan has had in a LONG time.
:goodposting:

I always notebook WRs & TEs that have this problem in college.

Is there any consensus as to whether he will be listed as a wr or as a wr/te for fantasy leagues? I use flea flicker for dynasty. Obviously I would shoot him up a bit in my rookie draft months from now if he has te eligibility as well.

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Rob Rang observed that Michigan junior WR Devin Funchess "has been better at receiver this season than he was the past two years at tight end."

Funchess has hauled in 50 passes for 595 yards and four touchdowns in a dead Michigan offense. The 6-foot-5, 230-pound junior has "[demonstrated] the combination of size, body control and sticky hands to project very well to the next level" in Rang's eyes. The analyst did caution that Funchess drops more easy passes than he should. Funchess has been compared to Lions TE Eric Ebron (who was drafted in the first round) by CBS Sports' draft team, though Rotoworld Josh Norris' comparison to Pathers' WR Kelvin Benjamin more aptly captures Funchess' down-the-field abilities.

Nov 12 - 5:35 PM

As a huge Michigan fan I really like Funchess but the number of easy drops he has had this year concerns me a bit. Now he is in a awful offense with awful QB play but that's not a excuse for a large number of bad drops.

As a huge Michigan fan I really like Funchess but the number of easy drops he has had this year concerns me a bit. Now he is in a awful offense with awful QB play but that's not a excuse for a large number of bad drops.
:goodposting:

Maybe it is just that he is so surprised when Devin actually gets the ball within 10 yards of him, but he has a ton of terrible drops, and is part of the reason that the Michigan O is so bad. I think that if someone drafts him in the first round, they are going to be very, very disappointed.

I don't mean to nick pick, but I think you forgot about Nick Sheridan and Steven Threet (Rich Rod's first QB). See, the current state of affairs could always get worse!

-Another Abysmally Depressed UM Fan

I don't buy the bad QB argument. Sure, if you want to talk about his production being lower, then I agree, bad QB play is a major factor. But people seem to be talking about drops, and the QB doesn't have anything to do with that. Look at what Minnesota's Maxx Williams is doing with his limited opportunities from Mitch Leidner, who has to be one of the worst passing QBs in the entire country.

Drops have become a major issue for him. It has to be effective g his draft stock at this point, but not many people seem to be talking about it.

Also a huge Michigan fan and he's a mismatch in college but I don't see it in the pros. I see more of a situational Tim Wright at best than anything close to Julius Thomas or Graham.

Rotoworld:

Mlive.com's Nick Baumgardner notes that Michigan junior WR Devin Funchess "has NFL talent," but "he hasn't played like it for a full game all season."
"Funchess has NFL talent. But he hasn't played like it for a full game all season. Someone on this offense (probably multiple people) are going to have to have super efforts for the Wolverines to have any shot," Baumgardner wrote. In three straight games, Funchess hasn't cracked the 50-yard receiving mark and it's been four straight since he's scored. Three of his four touchdowns came in the opening contest of the season. Baumgardner notes that Funchess has "spent the past month dropping passes, struggling to get open and really doing nothing in terms of playing through or against contact." While it's been a tough season for the Wolverines' prospect, he still is one the best physical talents in the nation. We're sure that smart NFL teams will understand that circumstance has hurt his numbers.

Source: Mlive.com
Nov 26 - 3:31 PM

Rotoworld:

Michigan junior WR Devin Funchess caught seven passes for 108 in the school's 42-28 loss to Ohio State.

Funchess was able to get involved early and made a number of impressive catches. When on his game, Funchess can look extremely impressive and even has yards after catch ability. Expect him to fill a Kelvin Benjamin type role in the NFL, but some patience might be necessary.

Nov 29 - 4:59 PM

Also a huge Michigan fan and he's a mismatch in college but I don't see it in the pros. I see more of a situational Tim Wright at best than anything close to Julius Thomas or Graham.
lets see who is qb is but make no mistake hes a likely first round draft pick

It's hard to underachieve as much as he has. You can blame Gardner and he deserves that. However, when you are a 1st round NFL talent, you have to shoulder a lot of blame for an awful offense. Funchess should be dominating, but he looks like he barely cares.

It's hard to underachieve as much as he has. You can blame Gardner and he deserves that. However, when you are a 1st round NFL talent, you have to shoulder a lot of blame for an awful offense. Funchess should be dominating, but he looks like he barely cares.
When your coach is scratching his nuts on national TV and clapping after any and every play I wonder how anyone could care. Guy looked legit to me and seemed like he could be a matchup nightmare in the NFL. Not sure anyone would want to trust him at WR which would mean a steep curve at TE and most likely a slip well beyond what people are suggesting right now.

When your coach is scratching his nuts on national TV and clapping after any and every play I wonder how anyone could care. Guy looked legit to me and seemed like he could be a matchup nightmare in the NFL. Not sure anyone would want to trust him at WR which would mean a steep curve at TE and most likely a slip well beyond what people are suggesting right now.
That is where I am with him. There are a lot of one dimensional tight ends that create mismatches but they rarely go in the first two rounds. He can't block and doesn't play soecials. Seems more like a 4th, possibly 3rd rounder.

That is where I am with him. There are a lot of one dimensional tight ends that create mismatches but they rarely go in the first two rounds. He can't block and doesn't play soecials. Seems more like a 4th, possibly 3rd rounder.
Hoke should be bagging groceries somewhere and Gardner is possibly the worst QB in college football, I am not talking in hyperbole, they are one of the worst HC and QB combos and are not good at the very least. There is a reason Michigan was 111th on offense out of 114 teams. Funchess has great talent, just needs to eat sleep and drink the juggs machine. He can't catch, love the kids upside but Stephen Hill shadows are just a breathe away if he cant find some Odell Beckham gloves.

Hoke should be bagging groceries somewhere and Gardner is possibly the worst QB in college football, I am not talking in hyperbole, they are one of the worst HC and QB combos and are not good at the very least. There is a reason Michigan was 111th on offense out of 114 teams. Funchess has great talent, just needs to eat sleep and drink the juggs machine. He can't catch, love the kids upside but Stephen Hill shadows are just a breathe away if he cant find some Odell Beckham gloves.
That is why I think he is a mid rounder. A move tight end with great athleticism. Can't block. Has horrible hands. What is the difference between him and a DJ Williams?

Bojang0301 said:
Ilov80s said:
If someone is being talked about as an NFL prospect and has millions of dollars on the line, I would think it would be very easy to find motivation to care.

Jerry Curl said:
Balco said:
Bojang0301 said:
Ilov80s said:
I get that Gardner is awful, buy I think Funchess contributes to that more than he is just a victim. Jeramy Gallon was much less talented, but put up big numbers last year (I know it's not a perfect comparison: different OC, different style players. At no point has Funchess taken over games the way Gallon did last year. I just don't see see it with him.

Rotoworld:

Michigan junior WR Devin Funchess will enter the 2015 NFL Draft, according to Brian Hamilton of SI.
With how poorly Michigan played this season, the decision was expected. Many project or list Funchess as a tight end, but he has really focused his game on winning from the outside. He is in the mold of Kelvin Benjamin, however, Funchess tended to lose more contested targets the more Michigan lost on the field. He does have very good short area run after catch ability for a player of his size. Funchess could emerge as a late first-round selection, but drops at a supposed strength are a question.

Source: Brian Hamilton on Twitter
Dec 9 - 3:41 PM

Everyone bagging on Hoke and Gardner need to remember that last year Jeremy Gallon had a great year with the same coach and quarterback.

After he got hurt he looked like he was playing scared. It reminded me of Clowney last year.

Dude should be a beast, but he played scared and heartless this year. I wouldn't touch him with a top pick if I were an NFL team.

Rotoworld:

NFL Media Analyst Daniel Jeremiah loves Michigan junior WR Devin Funchess' size and catch radius."
"Devin Funchess- Love the size and catch radius. Has build up speed and he's physical after the catch. Not very sudden, not crisp route runner," Jeremiah tweeted. The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Funchess has great short area run after catch ability for a player of his size. Funchess could emerge as a late first-round selection, but drops at a supposed strength are a question. Expect the Michigan prospect to fill a Kelvin Benjamin type role in the NFL, but some patience might be necessary.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter
Dec 10 - 3:02 PM

If Funchess were to become a TE in the NFL, would he be the top TE in the 2015 draft class (fantasy-wise)?

I'm not really seeing any TEs that I'm excited about, and in a TE-premium league, I would consider taking Funchess at the end of the 1st round in the hope that he would end up being a TE. Would probably be a bit early for him if he stayed WR, but I'm wondering if it would be worth the risk.

Rotoworld:

Michigan junior WR Devin Funchess should return for his senior season so he can iron out the technical aspects of the receiver position, according to NFL.com's Charles Davis.

"Funchess encountered some difficulties in his first season as a wide receiver (he moved from tight end) as Michigan struggled, but he looks the part," Davis wrote. "However, if he's going to be a true wide receiver, another year in school would help him as he continues to shape his body and refine his route running at the position. He will have the challenge of working in a new offensive system with a new head coach if he changes his mind about turning pro and elects to return, though." Funchess struggled amidst the turmoil of Michigan's program this season -- dropping catchable balls, disappearing for stretches at a time, appearing lackadaisical -- but his talent is undeniable and transcends circumstance. We see a Kelvin Benjamin-like prospect.

Source: NFL.com
Dec 18 - 12:03 PM

These are the only WRs 6'4"+ 220lbs+, who turned 21 before the end if their Rookie seasons, ever drafted. All in the top 10.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7DLJ9DCcAAPJNe.png

Funchess is the only WR in the draft that fits this size/age profile. On paper, he's closer to Mike Evans than to Kevin Benjamin, as I project him to put up similar or better Combine numbers.

These are the only WRs 6'4"+ 220lbs+, who turned 21 before the end if their Rookie seasons, ever drafted. All in the top 10.

Funchess is the only WR in the draft that fits this size/age profile. On paper, he's closer to Mike Evans than to Kevin Benjamin, as I project him to put up similar or better Combine numbers.
How many TEs?
TEs in general are significantly larger than Funchess' size. The closest one to him is Jermichael Finley.

But here are all the 21-year old Rookie TEs ever drafted since 1970: http://pfref.com/tiny/YhsAK

Maxx Williams and Jesse James are the only TEs in this draft that will be 21 this year.

Apologize for my density, but what deductions are we making from this?

Users who are viewing this thread