What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Build a Franchise 3.0 / 2015 (1 Viewer)

FUBAR

Footballguy
For the last two years we've done this long draft which generates a lot of discussion and makes us look deep at the NFL rosters. It's pretty straight forward - we draft a new NFL from scratch, similar to Madden video games.

Posters can take one or two teams (could do more but frankly that seems overkill) and make them as you want.

2013: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/678422-build-a-franchise-draft/

In 2013 we included rookies, in 2014 they were separate. I think separate is better.

Fairness was somewhat of an issue, as teams at the top get their franchise QB while teams at the bottom get Joe Flacco (actually not a bad QB but he isn't Andrew Luck or Rodgers). So 3RR and rookie in reverse order worked last year but perhaps that was overkill?

Personally, I'd like an auction for the first 96 players but that can be complicated.

We can hammer out details later among the interested parties.

If interested, please post below and select one or two teams.

Arizona Cardinals
Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens
Buffalo Bills - borden
Carolina Panthers - tarheel1unc

Chicago Bears
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns - mac-32
Dallas Cowboys - wu-banger
Denver Broncos
Detroit Lions - fubar
Green Bay Packers - adrenaline
Houston Texans - meecrob

Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars - drunken-slob
Kansas City Chiefs - wu-banger
Miami Dolphins - los-gigantes
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots
New Orleans Saints
New York Giants - los-gigantes
New York Jets
Oakland Raiders - late225
Philadelphia Eagles - whitney26
Pittsburgh Steelers
San Diego Chargers
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks
St. Louis Rams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - drunken-slob
Tennessee Titans - fubar

Washington Redskins - awesomeauger

TBD - whicker
TBD - whicker

TBD - rbm?
TBD - jurb26
TBD - - drunken-slob

Participants:
adrenaline
awesomeauger
borden
drunken-slob
fubar
jurb26
los-gigantes
late225
mac-32
meecrob
pipes
rbm
tarheel1unc
whicker
whitney26
wu-banger

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thinking aloud right now but I really like the idea of an auction for the first 100 (or so) players. Each team could get $100 auction dollars to win up to 5 players. The team that spends the least gets the first post-auction pick (or chooses the slot), and so on. No need for a 3rr at that point, rookie order goes in reverse, both serpentine.

Thoughts?

If no auction I think rookies should be included. If for no other reason at least 2 more teams can get potentially starting QBs.

If no auction I think rookies should be included. If for no other reason at least 2 more teams can get potentially starting QBs.
rookies will be involved, the only question is whether there's a separate draft after the veteran draft.

What will the timers be? I might be able to field a team, but it depends on time requirements.
negotiable.

if we do an auction, probably 12 or 18 hours from last high bid.

for the draft, probably 12 hours.

We did this on MFL last year which helped a lot. If we do that again, I'll need help loading the offensive line and don't have MFL access during the day.

Just adding a qualifier to my interest, we either need to be done by late April or not start until early-mid May. I'm not committing to checking in while on vacation.

I'm in.

I don't care which team (also willing to do two if needed) so I'll take whichever one(s) are left over.

Texans please....also lets do it through MFL again; that worked out nicely last year. As well as Separate Rookie Draft.

If we have 12 hour clocks then I'm in. I will take the Bills unless someone else wants them.

Is there any contract/cap limitations?

What if we did the whole thing as an auction? 143 million per team. $100,000 minimum bid.
I'd be for this but it can get complicated towards the end.

For those interested, would you prefer full auction, early auction with draft after 96 players or full draft?

I like partial auction as well. Will salaries be issued to all players based on draft position for those not auctioned off?

I like partial auction as well. Will salaries be issued to all players based on draft position for those not auctioned off?
The salaries would have no function outside the auction.

I see this happening in the following phases:

1. Recruit 32 teams

2. Set MFL to include OLine (I'll need help here)

3. Start the auction for the first 100 players. Allow every team to nominate up to 4 players, with $100 cap (the amount is irrelevant) Run this auction until 100 players have been awarded. I'd put a maximum of 5 players won in the auction.

4. Set the draft order preference list based on amount of auction dollars remaining (only to give some incentive to keep some money), first tie-breaker being the # of players won, second tie-breaker being random draw.

5. veteran draft

6. rookie draft

7. "Final" analysis and discussion

For the auction, you could bid all $100 on any one player. You'd just take the risk that you wouldn't get anyone else in the first 100 players taken. (blind bidding, you only pay $1 higher than the next highest bid - I bid $100 on JJ Watt, Bucs bid $97 on JJ Watt, I pay $98 and only have $2 left for others) You could save all your money and get the last 5 and have $95 left, so probably the first choice of draft slot.

for the draft, each team picks their slot by #4 - rookie is opposite from the veteran draft. For example, I win 5 players with $95 left and get the first choice. I take slot #32 for the veteran draft / #1 for rookie. You have $94 left and take #1 vet / #32 rookie, etc.

Including rookies in the first 100 player auction is possible.

This may be clearer in my head than I'm writing.

I would propose in order to make this as realistic as possible:

- Auction for the top 200 players (roughly 6 players per team to build a core)

- Load the rest of the NFL with their current Salary as is in real life and draft.

- Use the new Salary Cap (148.28MUSD)

- Create a rookie Salary scale similar to that of the NFL's current, and hold a separate 7 round rookie draft

How to make all that happen in MFL i have no clue....but one of you smart guys will figure that out.

- Load the rest of the NFL with their current Salary as is in real life and draft.

- Create a rookie Salary scale similar to that of the NFL's current, and hold a separate 7 round rookie draft

How to make all that happen in MFL i have no clue....but one of you smart guys will figure that out.
If someone can do that, cool. But we had problems getting all of the OLine in last year. and I have no idea how to do this.

If someone can do that, cool. But we had problems getting all of the OLine in last year. and I have no idea how to do this.
MFL Experts to the white courtesy phone please....

Just a thought; we could load all of this into a google doc...it would be quite easy to load ALL players, Salaries, etc....You could do the auction through MFL and then move to the Google doc afterwards to continue..... just a thought...

Just a thought; we could load all of this into a google doc...it would be quite easy to load ALL players, Salaries, etc....You could do the auction through MFL and then move to the Google doc afterwards to continue..... just a thought...
thanks for volunteering. :thumbup:

So am I the only one that doesn't want the auction idea? With third round reversal I've never thought that a low pick was that bad. Last year I was in the 20's and I was able to grab Rivers, and with a reverse-order rookie draft #31 and #32 will have a guaranteed QB in Winston/Mariota if they want to go that route.

I also think that the auction might make it weird for those of us with two teams, but I suppose I'd just choose opposing strategies for each.

The auction also may be a lot more of a logistical nightmare than this thing already tends to be.

That all being said, I still think the auction would be fun and am looking forward to this regardless.

i love the idea of an auction, but hate the idea of a partial auction. it creates all kinds of market distortions. Being able to fill the rest of your team in a draft, nothing stops someone from bidding his whole amount on one player (likely a franchise qb) to make this work, i think it should be all auction or all draft.

i love the idea of an auction, but hate the idea of a partial auction. it creates all kinds of market distortions. Being able to fill the rest of your team in a draft, nothing stops someone from bidding his whole amount on one player (likely a franchise qb) to make this work, i think it should be all auction or all draft.
Kind of agree with this. The auction could get pretty ugly.

I don't mind doing full auction but I don't understand why allowing different strategies would be a bad thing. Think of it more like you could trade your first 5 picks for a franchise QB. Or you could acquire a stud defensive line to form the basis for your team with the first few players.

Disagree on whether it would be a market distortion to use all of your money on a QB.

I'd rather do full auction or partial auction as described above. Not a draft.

Full action would be fun. The concern I have with a full auction is the time commitment required from everybody. I feel like a draft allows an owner to only check in once or twice a day. An auction would require owners to check in much more than that.

Full action would be fun. The concern I have with a full auction is the time commitment required from everybody. I feel like a draft allows an owner to only check in once or twice a day. An auction would require owners to check in much more than that.
If there's a 12 hour clock, owners wouldn't really have to check in all that more often. They'd want to, but as long as they look at all players on the block and plan ahead they'd be alright. Most owners want to sort of conditionally bid on players which requires more checking. But the minimum is twice a day

Then there's the advantage that no one player is holding up everything for 12 hours.

If we're doing an auction I'd rather it be auction all the way through.

I think that if we're doing a full auction (I most likely would have suggested this anyway), then I think we should consider doing considerably less than 53 rounds. Personally, I think 32 veterans sounds good (22 starters, 8 bench, K, and P) along with four rookies. That should be enough to shape a team without us having to drag this thing out for a really long time. Plus, once we get any deeper than that, it's mostly just roster bubble people anyway.

I also think that we should try something a little different with the evaluations this year. In the past we tried a Madden sim (too random and a ton of work) and attempting to get experts to grade (hasn't really panned out). Instead, I think we should have an in-house vote. We could first bunch the teams together by division and all the participants vote on the best team in the division. Then, we could bunch the division winners together by conference and vote again. The final two teams would then be put up to vote in our "Super Bowl."

If we're doing an auction I'd rather it be auction all the way through.

I think that if we're doing a full auction (I most likely would have suggested this anyway), then I think we should consider doing considerably less than 53 rounds. Personally, I think 32 veterans sounds good (22 starters, 8 bench, K, and P) along with four rookies. That should be enough to shape a team without us having to drag this thing out for a really long time. Plus, once we get any deeper than that, it's mostly just roster bubble people anyway.

I also think that we should try something a little different with the evaluations this year. In the past we tried a Madden sim (too random and a ton of work) and attempting to get experts to grade (hasn't really panned out). Instead, I think we should have an in-house vote. We could first bunch the teams together by division and all the participants vote on the best team in the division. Then, we could bunch the division winners together by conference and vote again. The final two teams would then be put up to vote in our "Super Bowl."
On board with all of this.

Makes mfl a lot easier to load o line too.

I'm in for a draft. I'd have to hear the details of how an auction would work before locking myself in for that.

Not necessarily. We can have 32 players on the auction block at a time with 12 hour timers that get extended when someone places an extra bid. I've done this for fantasy auctions before. When your nomination is won (or alternatively, when you win), you have to nominate someone new. It creates an easy flow. We can do this on MFL.

Users who are viewing this thread