What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone hiked the Grand Canyon? - update: I survived! (1 Viewer)

bigbottom

Footballguy
I will be hiking the Grand Canyon at the end of May. Doing South Rim to North Rim on day one, and then the return hike on day three. Going with a group who has done it before, so am getting some good advice from them, but would appreciate advice from any others who have experience, either about GC or long hikes in general. Camelbak, hiking shoes and trekking poles have been purchased, but that's about it so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did it a long time ago (~15 years) so things have changed as far as what to pack. It is tons of fun. We did south rim down, walked around for a couple days at the base, then climbed out.

I had previously done most of my hiking in New England, places up in New Hampshire and Maine. The big difference was the shape of the hike, I was used to climbing UP a hill, walking around then climbing DOWN at the end when we were tired. Grand Canyon is the opposite, and you get to climb UP when you are tired!

Yeah, the 6,000 ft ascent at the END of the hike is a bit unnerving. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
It was my first time there, and we drove in from Vegas (great place to fly in and out of - we planned an extra day or 2 there at the end to unwind!) and arrived late at night. Our trip planning guy, without telling us, had reserved us a room at one of the inns at the edge of the canyon with a canyon facing view. What a spectacular sight to wake up to that view!

Oh, and watching the obnoxious SOBs who are passing you on mules on that uphill climb ain't no fun either!

Yeah, the 6,000 ft ascent at the END of the hike is a bit unnerving. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
It was my first time there, and we drove in from Vegas (great place to fly in and out of - we planned an extra day or 2 there at the end to unwind!) and arrived late at night. Our trip planning guy, without telling us, had reserved us a room at one of the inns at the edge of the canyon with a canyon facing view. What a spectacular sight to wake up to that view!

Oh, and watching the obnoxious SOBs who are passing you on mules on that uphill climb ain't no fun either!
:hey:

It's really hot.

Have shade (hat), a lot lot of water.

Having a bandana/shirt you can dip in the water to cool off is really nice.

It's steep out, but just take it slow if you need to.,

Are you backpacking it or staying in the lodge? If you're backpacking make sure your pack is adjusted to fit you correctly (outdoor shop can help). Wear it with all your gear on some training hikes. Make sure everything feels right.

I have done rim to rim and a few down and backs there. It is a great experience. My best advice would be to train for it. I do not know how much of a hiker you are but if you dont have a base fitness in hiking you better start on one. I did the rim to rim hike on my 40th birthday and i trained for about 6 months prior and I was still hurting at the end. I would not trade that soreness for anything.

Travel light, know the water stops and plan accordingly.

Electrolytes that can be mixed with water was a big help to me. I suggest light to carry snacks like homemade trail mix. Water, water,water. Know where the water stops are. Water ,water,water.

Know where the water stops are. I really cant say enough about water. its really important on this hike.

Good fitting hiking boots that you have broken in are a must as well.

How much of a hiker are you?

There used to be a thread on here, before the purge, where someone showed the pictures they took and talked all about their hike.

I remember because they had a night photo taken from their starting point and off in the distance was a light and that was the inn they were hiking too

It's really hot.

Are you backpacking it or staying in the lodge? If you're backpacking make sure your pack is adjusted to fit you correctly (outdoor shop can help). Wear it with all your gear on some training hikes. Make sure everything feels right.
Thanks for the tips. Given your interests, looks like you are well-versed in this area. On the hat, I'm thinking I'll need a 360-brim, lightweight with a sweatband. Do you have any recs?

As for water, I have a Camelbak with a three liter reservoir and have the water stops mapped out.

Haven't thought about having the backpack professionally adjusted. Will do that. Wore the pack for the first time on yesterday's training session and will wear it often from here on out. Thankfully, I only need to carry water, food and a few supplies, so it should be fairly light.

I have done rim to rim and a few down and backs there. It is a great experience. My best advice would be to train for it. I do not know how much of a hiker you are but if you dont have a base fitness in hiking you better start on one. I did the rim to rim hike on my 40th birthday and i trained for about 6 months prior and I was still hurting at the end. I would not trade that soreness for anything.

Travel light, know the water stops and plan accordingly.

Electrolytes that can be mixed with water was a big help to me. I suggest light to carry snacks like homemade trail mix. Water, water,water. Know where the water stops are. Water ,water,water.

Know where the water stops are. I really cant say enough about water. its really important on this hike.

Good fitting hiking boots that you have broken in are a must as well.

How much of a hiker are you?
Not a hiker at all. Needless to say, I'm pretty nervous about the challenge. Started training in February, but free time is limited. I try to do one long hike (walk) a week. Most recent one was 16-miles with lots of hills (we were out of town). Otherwise, Houston is flat so my long hikes (walks) have little in the way of inclines. On the other days of the week, I've been alternating between cardio for general fitness and incline training. Yesterday I did 200 floors of stairs and my calves are killing me. I also do treadmill work on max incline. Still, I feel like it's not enough. I have really no hiking experience at all. What did your training program look like? Did you train with your trekking poles? I haven't done that yet. As for water, as mentioned above, I have a 3 liter Camelbak. I'll also be bringing an empty 36 ounce bottle that I use to mix with powdered Gatorade at a couple of the water stops. Thankfully, one of the guys in our trip has mapped out all the stops for us and where the water locations are, so we should be able to plan accordingly. Unfortunately, he won't be with me as he's super-fit and will probably complete the rim to rim hike in around 7 hours, while I'm looking at about 12 hours. I'll be doing the hike with my wife, also a first timer (but who has been training longer than I have).

I've been wearing my hiking shoes for about a month now on all my non-running training. So far so good.

Thank you very much for your input. I'm 44 with no hiking experience. Your post will help me stay committed to the training.

There used to be a thread on here, before the purge, where someone showed the pictures they took and talked all about their hike.

I remember because they had a night photo taken from their starting point and off in the distance was a light and that was the inn they were hiking too
Yeah, I did a search and nothing came up. Bummer. That would have been a good read.

It's really hot.

Thanks for the tips. Given your interests, looks like you are well-versed in this area. On the hat, I'm thinking I'll need a 360-brim, lightweight with a sweatband. Do you have any recs?

As for water, I have a Camelbak with a three liter reservoir and have the water stops mapped out.

Haven't thought about having the backpack professionally adjusted. Will do that. Wore the pack for the first time on yesterday's training session and will wear it often from here on out. Thankfully, I only need to carry water, food and a few supplies, so it should be fairly light.
Looks like a nice hat

Did a North Kaibab trail to Bright Angel trail loop last year. Camped overnight at the Bright Angel campground. I have no idea what the trail is like from the North rim.

Make sure your boots fit extremely well, and clip your toenails. Me and two other guys on the trip ended up losing our big toenails.

Water water water and lots of carbs. I always eat light on trips like this and payed for it on this trip.

One of the guys on the trip had a hat with a cooling band that you could soak in water. He really liked it.

Big Bottom- I hate to say it but I think you are asking for trouble. This is not the right hike to do if you are not much of a hiker.

Having said that if you are determined to do it you had better get to training. I had a few hikes around where I live that have good inclines and I did them religiously for months. If you dont have hills to climb I would continue with climbing the stairs a lot.

Make sure your wife is training as well. Dragging someone through the canyon is not fun and dangerous. Have you considered just doing the bright angel down and back to get a feel for it before attempting rim to rim to rim?

I believe the poster was cactus who had the Grand Canyon thread. I will try to dig it up later today.

Get fit for some good hiking boots NOW and wear them for training.

I also think there are better mixes then gatorade out there. Do you have any hiking stores near by? They would have lots of info from boots to nutrition.

Dont forget the basic safety stuff-Whistle,signal mirror,basic first aid

I gotta head out now but I will try to add to this later. You better be hiking something today :yes:

I know people do it, and it's quite an accomplishment, but hiking rim-to-rim in one day doesn't sound very enjoyable to me. :shrug:

just head to the gym with a backpack, fill the backpack with free weights and hit the stair master until you pass out. that should do it.

I know people do it, and it's quite an accomplishment, but hiking rim-to-rim in one day doesn't sound very enjoyable to me. :shrug:
Riding the mule is far more enjoyable. Plus you get a steak dinner at the Phantom Ranch lodge.

I went North to South when I did it.
Yeah, as if this hike wasn't already a nightmare, we're doing it twice. South to North on day one and North to South on day three.
You'll be fine. They can airlift you out for about 5 grand.

Riding the mule is far more enjoyable. Plus you get a steak dinner at the Phantom Ranch lodge.

Yeah, as if this hike wasn't already a nightmare, we're doing it twice. South to North on day one and North to South on day three.
I think your price is a little low. A guide I ran into said $12 grand. :)

I helped an older lady at one of the rest stops who sprained her ankle on the Bright Angel trail. Her friend was trying to talk her into getting on a mule, but she didn't think she could handle it. I headed back to the trail after a ranger showed up. About 30 minutes later a helicopter came in.

I hate to be debbie downer but I have to echo prosopis' concerns. This is a very ambitious hike for someone that is a regular hiker much less someone's first big hike. 23 miles in a day is a very long hike, then you factor in going down a steep trail for half the hike then up a steep trail for half the hike it is going to be a grind.

While I think if you are in good shape you can probably make it you really miss out on the time to appreciate it. You won't have a lot of time to stop and enjoy the view because you will need to keep moving.

I did it a few years ago, North to South in 2 days, camping at the bottom. A lot of people take 3 days to go from 1 rim to the other.

If you can I would try to get a couple of long steep hikes in between now and then. Get yourself prepared for what it is like to be on your feet and moving for that distance.

I was just going to chime in with a Brady bunch joke and to make sure you are using poles, but your plan is too aggressive. You should do one direction and slow way down.

http://www.grandcanyonhiker.com/traildata/rimtorim.shtml

How Long?

Plan to spend at least 3 days and 2 nights completing your rim-to-rim hike. DO NOT attempt to do a rim-to-rim hike in a single day.

Sample Itineraries

Here are some sample itineraries that begin at the South rim:

Day 1: South Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel Campground

Day 2: North Kaibab Trail to Cottonwood Campground

Day 3: Cottonwood Campground to North Rim via North Kaibab Trail.

A very leisurely itinerary would be:

Day 1: Bright Angel Trail to Indian Gardens Campsite.

Day 2: Bright Angel Trail and River Trail to Bright Angel Campsite.

Day 3: North Kaibab Trail to Cottonwood Campsite.

Day 4. North Kaibab Trail to North Rim.

Get the best fitting and wicking socks you can find. It will be very hot at and near the bottom. Your feet need to be ready. Get the boots broken in , deal with any weird fits on heels and toes pay attention to the bottom of toes as well

Since you won't be carrying a pack you should be able to do it. Try to get an early start and cool down at phantom dry the feet and change socks. Going up north in middle of day is nuts with southern sun on you. I would take time and make last parts in the late afternoon and dusk.

23 miles is going to be rough but certainly something you can power through. Just take it slow and steady. Physically you'll feel like hell the next days but mentally you'll be stoked.

It's really hot.

Thanks for the tips. Given your interests, looks like you are well-versed in this area. On the hat, I'm thinking I'll need a 360-brim, lightweight with a sweatband. Do you have any recs?As for water, I have a Camelbak with a three liter reservoir and have the water stops mapped out.

Looks like a nice hat
Thanks. This is the style I'm looking at.

Whether 5 grand or 12, if I break an ankle, that'll be the cost I guess. Never been in a helicopter before, so there will at least be some upside.

Did a North Kaibab trail to Bright Angel trail loop last year. Camped overnight at the Bright Angel campground. I have no idea what the trail is like from the North rim.

Make sure your boots fit extremely well, and clip your toenails. Me and two other guys on the trip ended up losing our big toenails.

Water water water and lots of carbs. I always eat light on trips like this and payed for it on this trip.

One of the guys on the trip had a hat with a cooling band that you could soak in water. He really liked it.
Cooling band sounds like a great idea. Will look into that. Good point on the toenails. A friend who has done the hike several times lost nails on his first trip. It was due to the downhill hike when his feet were sliding forward and his toes were hitting the front of his shoes. My hiking shoes are a size up from my normal shoes and I lace them tight so my feet don't slide forward. Haven't had any problems and I've done some fairly steep downhills.

Big Bottom- I hate to say it but I think you are asking for trouble. This is not the right hike to do if you are not much of a hiker.

Having said that if you are determined to do it you had better get to training. I had a few hikes around where I live that have good inclines and I did them religiously for months. If you dont have hills to climb I would continue with climbing the stairs a lot.

Make sure your wife is training as well. Dragging someone through the canyon is not fun and dangerous. Have you considered just doing the bright angel down and back to get a feel for it before attempting rim to rim to rim?

I believe the poster was cactus who had the Grand Canyon thread. I will try to dig it up later today.

I also think there are better mixes then gatorade out there. Do you have any hiking stores near by? They would have lots of info from boots to nutrition.

I gotta head out now but I will try to add to this later. You better be hiking something today :yes:
I was thinking the same thing. I did this hike years ago. I trained very hard for six month with varying level/ distances and it still kicked my butt. Do not under estimate the amount of evevation both up and down you are attempting. Your body will be sore from the downhill portion as much as the up hill. Do you have to do rim to rim to rim?

Yep, I know this is a bad idea. But I'm pot committed now. All I can do is get myself as prepared as possible. I've studied the trails and been given a detailed overview from friends who have done it multiple times. From a technical standpoint, it's not a difficult hike. Maximum grade during the ascent is like 17%. The trick will be the distance (21 miles), the heat (100+) and the ascent (just under 6,000 ft). It's going to be hell, I know it. But it's something I need to do. Something I will do. When you say you were doing hikes religiously for six months, what does that mean? Once a week? Twice a week? Every day? How long were the hikes either in distance or time? I'm basically training about 5-6 days a week right now. Did stairs for two hours yesterday (actual stairs in a stairwell). Other incline training involves stair mills at about 100 floors a pop, and treadmill work that varies from 10% incline for longer periods to 30% incline for only about 40 minutes or so (there's a 24-hour fitness by my house that has a machine that can go to 30%). Then I'm doing a long hike once a week from 12-16 miles, and will work up to longer distances as we get closer. Today was 12 miles and then I'll do incline training later this afternoon. Other days I'll just jog a 5k for cardio purposes.

As for my wife, she's been training for months now. She has several friends who have done this every year for the last five or so years. So she's training with them.

I know this is going to be difficult. I know it's going to kick my ### and be the hardest thing I've ever done. But I know I can do it. I know I will do it. The group I'm going with has been doing this for years. And they have newbies that do it with them every year. There is another couple who are first timers as well. I did a training session with the group already and was more than able to hold my own. So I know this is doable from a physical standpoint. Mental may be a different story.

The hiking boots I have now are working great so far. I've put a 100+ miles on them and will break them in a bunch more in the next 2+ months. Will definitely look more into the electrolyte mixes for the water bottle. We have plenty of hiking and outdoor stores in the area. Thanks for the advice.

Had first aid kit on my pack list, but didn't think about safety whistle or signal mirror. Will add those as well.

Please keep the advice coming. I really appreciate it. My goal is to be back here posting in June, so I'll take whatever advice I can to survive the trip and make it out alive.

just head to the gym with a backpack, fill the backpack with free weights and hit the stair master until you pass out. that should do it.
Started my incline training and long hike this weekend with a full pack and will be using a pack from here on out.

I hate to be debbie downer but I have to echo prosopis' concerns. This is a very ambitious hike for someone that is a regular hiker much less someone's first big hike. 23 miles in a day is a very long hike, then you factor in going down a steep trail for half the hike then up a steep trail for half the hike it is going to be a grind.

While I think if you are in good shape you can probably make it you really miss out on the time to appreciate it. You won't have a lot of time to stop and enjoy the view because you will need to keep moving.

I did it a few years ago, North to South in 2 days, camping at the bottom. A lot of people take 3 days to go from 1 rim to the other.

If you can I would try to get a couple of long steep hikes in between now and then. Get yourself prepared for what it is like to be on your feet and moving for that distance.
This is a great idea and definitely in the plans. Will definitely work in a few 18-20-mile hikes with lost of inclines between now and then. Will have to drive out of town to do it, but it's doable.

As for the hike itself, the decline hike is 6.1 miles. Then it's either level or a very gradual incline for the next 8 miles. The last 6.8 miles is the ascent.

I was just going to chime in with a Brady bunch joke and to make sure you are using poles, but your plan is too aggressive. You should do one direction and slow way down.http://www.grandcanyonhiker.com/traildata/rimtorim.shtml

How Long?

Plan to spend at least 3 days and 2 nights completing your rim-to-rim hike. DO NOT attempt to do a rim-to-rim hike in a single day.

Sample Itineraries

Here are some sample itineraries that begin at the South rim:

Day 1: South Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel Campground

Day 2: North Kaibab Trail to Cottonwood Campground

Day 3: Cottonwood Campground to North Rim via North Kaibab Trail.

A very leisurely itinerary would be:

Day 1: Bright Angel Trail to Indian Gardens Campsite.

Day 2: Bright Angel Trail and River Trail to Bright Angel Campsite.

Day 3: North Kaibab Trail to Cottonwood Campsite.

Day 4. North Kaibab Trail to North Rim.
This, of course, would be the sensible thing to do.

Get the best fitting and wicking socks you can find. It will be very hot at and near the bottom. Your feet need to be ready. Get the boots broken in , deal with any weird fits on heels and toes pay attention to the bottom of toes as well

Since you won't be carrying a pack you should be able to do it. Try to get an early start and cool down at phantom dry the feet and change socks. Going up north in middle of day is nuts with southern sun on you. I would take time and make last parts in the late afternoon and dusk.
Step off is scheduled for 6:30am. I'll be hiking with the "leisurely" part of the group and will be targeting a 12-hour crossing. That would put us at late afternoon for the toughest part of the ascent. Am trying out some wool socks at the moment which seem to work real well. Plan to carry three extra pairs with me to change them out as they get wet. Am advised that cotton is a no-no. In that regard, if anyone has any tips on clothing, please let me know. In particular, I'm debating what I should wear under my shorts.

Boots will be plenty broken in. Well, they're more like hiking boot/cross trainer hybrids. North Face Vibram Storm Hiking Shoes.

Again, thanks for the advice and keep it coming.

This is a great idea and definitely in the plans. Will definitely work in a few 18-20-mile hikes with lost of inclines between now and then. Will have to drive out of town to do it, but it's doable. As for the hike itself, the decline hike is 6.1 miles. Then it's either level or a very gradual incline for the next 8 miles. The last 6.8 miles is the ascent.
the "level" parts still have up and down hills. They are fairly busy trials so you will send others along the trail. Go at your own pace, take breaks, drink a lot of water. Don't forget to eat though out even if you don't feel hungry (I didn't but I forced myself to eat). Bring mole skin for you feet, just in case. Get good socks, and make sure your shoes are broken in....make sure you do some 20+ mile hikes so you are mentally ready. I did a bunch of super steep hikes in my training routine (I am an as guy so there were tons of options for me).take pictures for us, and good luck.

23 miles is going to be rough but certainly something you can power through. Just take it slow and steady. Physically you'll feel like hell the next days but mentally you'll be stoked.
Thanks! Slow and steady is the plan. Our friends who have done this before assure us that it's doable.

This is a great idea and definitely in the plans. Will definitely work in a few 18-20-mile hikes with lost of inclines between now and then. Will have to drive out of town to do it, but it's doable. As for the hike itself, the decline hike is 6.1 miles. Then it's either level or a very gradual incline for the next 8 miles. The last 6.8 miles is the ascent.
the "level" parts still have up and down hills. They are fairly busy trials so you will send others along the trail. Go at your own pace, take breaks, drink a lot of water. Don't forget to eat though out even if you don't feel hungry (I didn't but I forced myself to eat). Bring mole skin for you feet, just in case. Get good socks, and make sure your shoes are broken in....make sure you do some 20+ mile hikes so you are mentally ready. I did a bunch of super steep hikes in my training routine (I am an as guy so there were tons of options for me).take pictures for us, and good luck.
Thanks. Have noted all of your tips. Will make sure to carve out time for a few 20+ mile hikes.

Re boots: I hope what you got were 1/2-1 size larger than your usual size. That will help with the toenails. Also, I agree with everyone that breaking them in is important, but don't use them too much or you'll wear off too much of the tread, which won't be fun on the down parts.

On socks, and again with your toes in mind, this is going to sound silly but toe socks have changed our hiking lives. Mr. krista and I both wear Injinji socks almost exclusively now, and while it takes a second to get used to, the comfort and lack of rubbing on the toes is beautiful. If you can't get into the toe socks (but you should), my favorite regular sock brand is Thorlo.

In addition to the hat with cooling band, I'd also recommend having a buff with you because they can be used in so many different ways and are so light it doesn't affect your pack weight. You could use it as a headband to assist with sweat issues and also you might like it as a half-mask if it is dusty out there. Can't say enough good things about a buff.

Do you have your trekking poles or would you like recommendations?

Do you need a water filter there for water you pick up along the trail? If so, the Sawyer gets my highest recommendation, though it won't work for you if you're not carrying a Nalgene.

The Ten Essentials! Can't believe I didn't mention that in my first post. If you don't have them, get them. Even for a day hike (and this is a helluva "day hike"), you need them.

The Ten Essentials! Can't believe I didn't mention that in my first post. If you don't have them, get them. Even for a day hike (and this is a helluva "day hike"), you need them.
  1. Map
  2. Compass (optionally supplemented with a GPS receiver)
  3. Sunglasses and sunscreen
  4. Extra clothing
  5. Headlamp (or flashlight)
  6. First-aid supplies
  7. Powdered alcohol
  8. Matches
  9. Knife
  10. Extra food

Yep, I know this is a bad idea. But I'm pot committed now. All I can do is get myself as prepared as possible. I've studied the trails and been given a detailed overview from friends who have done it multiple times. From a technical standpoint, it's not a difficult hike. Maximum grade during the ascent is like 17%. The trick will be the distance (21 miles), the heat (100+) and the ascent (just under 6,000 ft). It's going to be hell, I know it. But it's something I need to do. Something I will do.When you say you were doing hikes religiously for six months, what does that mean? Once a week? Twice a week? Every day? How long were the hikes either in distance or time? I'm basically training about 5-6 days a week right now. Did stairs for two hours yesterday (actual stairs in a stairwell). Other incline training involves stair mills at about 100 floors a pop, and treadmill work that varies from 10% incline for longer periods to 30% incline for only about 40 minutes or so (there's a 24-hour fitness by my house that has a machine that can go to 30%). Then I'm doing a long hike once a week from 12-16 miles, and will work up to longer distances as we get closer. Today was 12 miles and then I'll do incline training later this afternoon. Other days I'll just jog a 5k for cardio purposes.

As for my wife, she's been training for months now. She has several friends who have done this every year for the last five or so years. So she's training with them.

I know this is going to be difficult. I know it's going to kick my ### and be the hardest thing I've ever done. But I know I can do it. I know I will do it. The group I'm going with has been doing this for years. And they have newbies that do it with them every year. There is another couple who are first timers as well. I did a training session with the group already and was more than able to hold my own. So I know this is doable from a physical standpoint. Mental may be a different story.

The hiking boots I have now are working great so far. I've put a 100+ miles on them and will break them in a bunch more in the next 2+ months. Will definitely look more into the electrolyte mixes for the water bottle. We have plenty of hiking and outdoor stores in the area. Thanks for the advice.

Had first aid kit on my pack list, but didn't think about safety whistle or signal mirror. Will add those as well.

Please keep the advice coming. I really appreciate it. My goal is to be back here posting in June, so I'll take whatever advice I can to survive the trip and make it out alive.
Excellent--I see you did get larger-than-usual-size shoes. On the down side, please be careful with the tread. Given that you're not doing a lot of elevation gain/loss outdoors, maybe you're not wearing them out too much. On the types of hikes we do here, I'm going through shoes about every 250-300 miles, but that's with some really tough wear.

Regarding the elevation gain/distance, are you saying it gains 6000 ft in elevation over 21 miles? If so, you're right--that's not tough at all in terms of steepness, but the 21 miles will be a grind (twice!). I'm not as worried about your ability to do it as others are. If it were steeper, I'd be more concerned given that you don't have much opportunity for elevation hikes where you are. Incline training/stairmasters just aren't the same. But on an average grade that gentle, you should be OK.

Step off is scheduled for 6:30am. I'll be hiking with the "leisurely" part of the group and will be targeting a 12-hour crossing. That would put us at late afternoon for the toughest part of the ascent.Am trying out some wool socks at the moment which seem to work real well. Plan to carry three extra pairs with me to change them out as they get wet. Am advised that cotton is a no-no. In that regard, if anyone has any tips on clothing, please let me know. In particular, I'm debating what I should wear under my shorts.

Boots will be plenty broken in. Well, they're more like hiking boot/cross trainer hybrids. North Face Vibram Storm Hiking Shoes.

Again, thanks for the advice and keep it coming.
The three things that changed our hiking lives, in the order we discovered them: (1) good trekking poles, (2) non-cotton, moisture-wicking underwear, and (3) toe socks. So as to the question above about cotton, absolutely stay away in anything you're wearing. For every bit of clothing you take, there are some great materials that are not only moisture wicking but are anti-microbial and contain sunscreen. Make sure your shirts and shorts/pants have a high SPF in them as well.

For pants, instead of shorts I'd suggest convertible pants for which you can unzip the bottoms and use them as shorts. As I haven't done this hike, others who have could advise better, but I'd think those would be preferable because (1) it could be cold in the mornings, and (2) you might have brushy areas where you'd appreciate having the longer pants rather than bloodying your calves.

Users who are viewing this thread