What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Applauding a new cop in post #180 (1 Viewer)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/texas-knocks-dwi-suspect-pavement-takedown-article-1.2195679

Maybe don't drive drunk with your little kid in the car and this wouldn't happen :shrug:
You applaud a cop for knocking a mother unconscious in front of her six year old daughter? WTF is wrong with you?

I wish you and every single cop in this country could get one thing through the collective head:

Punishing suspects is not the role of the police. That is the role of the courts. Police are only charged with stopping crimes, apprehending suspects, and putting them into the criminal justice system. They are not intended to NOR ALLOWED BY LAW to enact punishment on suspects.

There is a simple reason for this and it is that an arrest does not equal guilt. This is the other thing that people can't seem to get through their heads. So enacting punishment at the time of the arrest is illegal for a VERY GOOD REASON and that is that people, in our country, according to our justice system, are INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY IN A COURT OF LAW.

Anyone who "applauds" this type of action is saying they do not believe in the maxim of innocent until proven guilty.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/texas-knocks-dwi-suspect-pavement-takedown-article-1.2195679

Maybe don't drive drunk with your little kid in the car and this wouldn't happen :shrug:
You applaud a cop for knocking a mother unconscious in front of her six year old daughter? WTF is wrong with you?

I wish you and every single cop in this country could get one thing through the collective head:

Punishing suspects is not the role of the police. That is the role of the courts. Police are only charged with stopping crimes, apprehending suspects, and putting them into the criminal justice system. They are not intended to NOR ALLOWED BY LAW to enact punishment on suspects.

There is a simple reason for this and it is that an arrest does not equal guilt. This is the other thing that people can't seem to get through their heads. So enacting punishment at the time of the arrest is illegal for a VERY GOOD REASON and that is that people, in our country, according to our justice system, are INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY IN A COURT OF LAW.

Anyone who "applauds" this type of action is saying they do not believe in the maxim of innocent until proven guilty.
Did he throw her down as a form of punishment, or did he throw her down because she was resisting arrest and that's the way you get handcuffs on someone in that situation?

I just watched a report from the local news station with multiple video clips.

This woman was not resisting. She was just standing there.

Just another jagoff cop getting off on committing legally-sanctioned violence against a mere mundane.

:yawn:

You applaud a cop for knocking a mother unconscious in front of her six year old daughter? WTF is wrong with you?I wish you and every single cop in this country could get one thing through the collective head:

Don't be such a dork. Be real.

Always funny that people are more outraged over a cop subduing a suspect than a drunk driving around with her 6 year old kid in the car. :lol:

I just watched a report from the local news station with multiple video clips an Occupy Wall Street Stream.

This woman was not resisting. She was just standing there.

Just another jagoff cop getting off on committing legally-sanctioned violence against a mere mundane.
She was a little loud, and disruptive," another customer, Rebecca Tomlinson, told the TV station. "She said she was very tired, really tired and they said, 'Maybe you should go home and get some sleep,' and then she turned around and stumbled out."

Keither then got in her car, the little girl in tow, before cops cornered her inside the shopping center’s parking lot.

"I seen her resisting and, in the beginning she was jerking her arm from him," Tomlinson told the ABC affiliate.

Usually I give the cops the benefit of the doubt but I'm sorry, that's excessive force. What does she weigh? 120lbs? You can't get the cuffs on her without face planting her into the concrete?

You applaud a cop for knocking a mother unconscious in front of her six year old daughter? WTF is wrong with you?I wish you and every single cop in this country could get one thing through the collective head:

Don't be such a dork. Be real.
:lmao: Leave the fishing to the pros.

Did he throw her down as a form of punishment, or did he throw her down because she was resisting arrest and that's the way you get handcuffs on someone in that situation?
Have you watched the video? Did you feel that what he did was a necessary step to getting handcuffs on that woman? You can honestly look at that video and say he did what he did without emotion?

Have you watched the video? Did you feel that what he did was a necessary step to getting handcuffs on that woman? You can honestly look at that video and say he did what he did without emotion?
Yes. I think what he did was pretty standard way of getting handcuffs onto someone who is resisting arrest. If she hadn't hit her head and went unconscious nobody would be making anything out of it. I dont believe it was the cops intention to knock her out. But its the risk you take if you're going to resist arrest because you end up on the ground if the cop cant get the cuffs on you normally.

His intention was to arrest her and I see no evidence to counter this.

Always funny that people are more outraged over a cop subduing a suspect than a drunk driving around with her 6 year old kid in the car. :lol:
You want some old overalls and a floppy hat to go with that straw man?
Not a straw man argument at all. People have seen 10 seconds of a clip and have deemed the police officer a menace to society. I haven't seen much outrage for the woman trying to drive her child around while intoxicated at all. :shrug:

Addressing everyone from the yawn to be real to this.

I don't pay the drunk. I don't expect her to adhere to certain standards. She is obviously a terrible mother and possibly a criminal (if she was indeed driving drunk). So I expect her to be stupid, irresponsible, and possibly belligerent.

I have expectations for the police that have a level of authority that no one else has. I hold them to a higher standard in terms of the behavior I expect. If they can not handle the legal requirements of the job they should find another line of work.

For people that either embrace illegal behavior by the police, or justify by the character of the people that they beat and kill, you are actively contributing to an untenable situation where the hostility and distrust between police and citizens will only increase.

As we know from Iraq and other occupations, units that actively engage with the community they police/patrol see fewer casualties and lower level of violence between the two groups.

Not a straw man argument at all. People have seen 10 seconds of a clip and have deemed the police officer a menace to society. I haven't seen much outrage for the woman trying to drive her child around while intoxicated at all. :shrug:
I don't anyone said she shouldn't have been arrested.

Yes. I think what he did was pretty standard way of getting handcuffs onto someone who is resisting arrest. If she hadn't hit her head and went unconscious nobody would be making anything out of it. I dont believe it was the cops intention to knock her out. But its the risk you take if you're going to resist arrest because you end up on the ground if the cop cant get the cuffs on you normally.

You don't get it. If someone is resisting, you must inform them that they are going to get taken down. If they decline, you must then let them keep resisting until they wear themselves out. Only then can you ask them again if it's ok to arrest them. If they say no, you continue to wait. If they agree, you must pick them up, and gently place them on the ground. That ground must be soft and cannot contain any material that could leave a mark. Best to have a fellow officer lay down a towel or something first.

It's pretty much the SOP for taking in criminals who are resisting. Not sure what you don't get.

:lmao:

I don't pay the drunk. I don't expect her to adhere to certain standards. She is obviously a terrible mother and possibly a criminal (if she was indeed driving drunk). So I expect her to be stupid, irresponsible, and possibly belligerent.

I have expectations for the police that have a level of authority that no one else has. I hold them to a higher standard in terms of the behavior I expect. If they can not handle the legal requirements of the job they should find another line of work.

For people that either embrace illegal behavior by the police, or justify by the character of the people that they beat and kill, you are actively contributing to an untenable situation where the hostility and distrust between police and citizens will only increase.

As we know from Iraq and other occupations, units that actively engage with the community they police/patrol see fewer casualties and lower level of violence between the two groups.
Hey genius, just bc you are drunk and unable to understand the law or are in the mood to adhere to it, does not mean it doesn't apply :shrug:

Look at his size and hers. If he can't get the cuffs on her without throwing her on the pavement like he did (with obvious emotion) he should be working a desk. And honestly I did not see any "resistance" from her that required any action. Please point me to the timestamp of what you saw that justified throwing her to the pavement.

Hey genius, just bc you are drunk and unable to understand the law or are in the mood to adhere to it, does not mean it doesn't apply :shrug:
JFC did you even read what I wrote?

Back off, man. We're busy taking signatures for her Mother of the Year award.

Ma'am please put your hands up. Please don't yell, pretty please will you listen to me.

Pretty please with sugar on top?

Pretty pretty please????????

:loco:

JFC did you even read what I wrote?

Probably more driven by the fact that the OP 'applauds' the cop. It was intended to start a debate about the force.

I'm not gonna presume whether the cop went over the top on that one, but that's a long way from me applauding him. And yes, the mom is still a sad, pathetic mess no matter what I think of the cop's actions.

Choosing to discuss the cop doesn't mean you don't care about the mom's behavior.

Look at his size and hers. If he can't get the cuffs on her without throwing her on the pavement like he did (with obvious emotion) he should be working a desk. And honestly I did not see any "resistance" from her that required any action. Please point me to the timestamp of what you saw that justified throwing her to the pavement.
You mean that 10 seconds of video. :lol:

Even a tiny person can carry a weapon. Who knows what she's reaching for. A cop tells you "Stop resisting or I'm going to have to take you down", you stop resisting.

You don't get it. If someone is resisting, you must inform them that they are going to get taken down. If they decline, you must then let them keep resisting until they wear themselves out. Only then can you ask them again if it's ok to arrest them. If they say no, you continue to wait. If they agree, you must pick them up, and gently place them on the ground. That ground must be soft and cannot contain any material that could leave a mark. Best to have a fellow officer lay down a towel or something first.

It's pretty much the SOP for taking in criminals who are resisting. Not sure what you don't get.
So there's nowhere between holding her hands and prancing in a circle and pile-driving her into the concrete?

Again, he is twice her size and has both hands behind her back. If he can't get the cuffs on from that position he is not very good at his job.

Someone asked me to be real. So let's be real: does anyone actually think the cop didn't throw her to the ground because he was angry?

Probably more driven by the fact that the OP 'applauds' the cop. It was intended to start a debate about the force.

I'm not gonna presume whether the cop went over the top on that one, but that's a long way from me applauding him. And yes, the mom is still a sad, pathetic mess no matter what I think of the cop's actions.

Choosing to discuss the cop doesn't mean you don't care about the mom's behavior.
Fair enough. Applauding may be over the top. He did his job, though. He took a criminal of the streets and possibly saved a little girl's life, along with many other potential victims' lives. I applaud him for that.

I dont think the video on its own can prove how much she was resisting. However, I'm going to side with the cop over the drunk driving PoS here because if his intention was to cause harm or punishment, then why not punch her or do something other than the usual, standard procedure for taking someone down when resisting.

Also, you or the cop dont know what else she might be on. Someone on PCP or similar drugs can be unusually strong. There are reasons the procedures for resisting arrest call for immobilizing them as quickly as possible.

I assume everyone is capable of reading, maybe hard of seeing, so I will enlarge... This is the quote from a woman who saw her before cops arrived and during the arrest:

According to Jack White and Clifford though, this woman should prob be discounted bc she prob has a pro-police bias.

She was a little loud, and disruptive," another customer, Rebecca Tomlinson, told the TV station. "She said she was very tired, really tired and they said, 'Maybe you should go home and get some sleep,' and then she turned around and stumbled out."

Keither then got in her car, the little girl in tow, before cops cornered her inside the shopping center’s parking lot.

"I seen her resisting and, in the beginning she was jerking her arm from him," Tomlinson told the ABC affiliate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, he is twice her size and has both hands behind her back. If he can't get the cuffs on from that position he is not very good at his job.

Someone asked me to be real. So let's be real: does anyone actually think the cop didn't throw her to the ground because he was angry?
He threw her to the ground because that's the ####### procedure for a resisting arrest. Whether he was angry or not is irrelevant. Christ.

Users who are viewing this thread