What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Giving my first presentation at work tomorrow (1 Viewer)

bosoxs45

Footballguy
Are there many soft spoken people who say they "can't speak up"?

I've talked to a lot of people how to speak with clarity. and I hate putting myself into the role of counsellor if I can avoid it for tomorow's work presentation. What come back, or way to motivate a person is there if they have trouble speaking up in front of others due to performance anxiety?

I often hear from my boss not to say "I can't speak up" or "Please don't ask me to speak up I don't want to" or "I don't know how" once in a blue moon as constructive criticism. . :shrug:

Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually just read yesterday that if you get yourself into a confident/cocky posture, that your brain will actually respond and you'll feel more confident. So before your presentation, go somewhere and stand like the most cocksure guy in the world. Chest out, head up, shoulders back, cocky stance, etc. that will increase your confidence.

Secondly, simply know your presentation backwards and forwards. Being confident in your material goes a long ways towards coming across confidently. Also,know why you're giving the presentation and why it's important for the people you're speaking to hear what you're saying.

The people you are presenting to are there because they have some vested interest of some kind. They are people just like any other. What you have to say to them is important in some way, so be confident in presenting them that information and make it worth their time.

Quit being a ##### about this. You have chosen some kind of path/profession that requires you to communicate ideas to others in all sorts of situations. Time to step up.

Remember the basics:

• What's your point?
  • Why does it matter?
  • Why should they care?
  • What do the financials look like?
Now go get it done!

I actually just read yesterday that if you get yourself into a confident/cocky posture, that your brain will actually respond and you'll feel more confident. So before your presentation, go somewhere and stand like the most cocksure guy in the world. Chest out, head up, shoulders back, cocky stance, etc. that will increase your confidence.

Secondly, simply know your presentation backwards and forwards. Being confident in your material goes a long ways towards coming across confidently. Also,know why you're giving the presentation and why it's important for the people you're speaking to hear what you're saying.

The people you are presenting to are there because they have some vested interest of some kind. They are people just like any other. What you have to say to them is important in some way, so be confident in presenting them that information and make it worth their time.
Kendo stance!

Moving your arms wildly but with a purpose will keep you in the right mind set. Pound on the podium at different times when you are stressing a point or an idea that you want others to pick up. Yelling is not good however the combination of raising your voice with the pounding will tell the people what you want them to know.

Finally, use action words. Don't put the people down but make sure you try to rise them up to what you want them to know. At the end, if the microphone is loose, say your final words and drop the mic while you raise both arms in victory. People will stand and applaud if you do it right.

Kendo stance!
Just channel this guy.

Take a drink before you go in. And do your best to channel Don Draper while you're talking.

I am serious.

You're speaking to them because you know something they don't. You own the knowledge, so use that to own the room.

Accentuate the last syllable. I.e., don't rush, and speak with clarity. Give the audience time to digest what you're saying.

Start with a killer joke at the top, and sprinkle in humor throughout.

Use pregnant pauses.

At some point in the middle, when you think they might start nodding off, say something completely bizarre, pause five seconds, then say, "I just wanted to make sure you were still paying attention."

Oh, and if you use PowerPoint, do not put text on the slides that you will be reading. Use visuals to enhance your talking points.

Better yet, don't use PowerPoint.

You're speaking to them because you know something they don't. You own the knowledge, so use that to own the room.
Yep.

Also, when you sit and listen to a speaker, don't you want them to do well (not for their benefit but for yours)? Of course you do. So the assumption you need to make as a speaker is that the audience is on your side, not opposite. Who cares about their motivation?

If things get out of sequence from your plan, or you forget to say something you intended to - MOVE ON. The audience doesn't know what you planned to say anyway.

Yep.Also, when you sit and listen to a speaker, don't you want them to do well (not for their benefit but for yours)? Of course you do. So the assumption you need to make as a speaker is that the audience is on your side, not opposite. Who cares about their motivation?

If things get out of sequence from your plan, or you forget to say something you intended to - MOVE ON. The audience doesn't know what you planned to say anyway.
All this - I do a good bit of presenting and while it never came naturally, it's second nature now.

Last thing I'd add, no matter how badly you screw up, I can pretty much guarantee no one will remember. Unless you piss your pants, it'll be out of sight out of mind soon enough. I had a presentation one time where one of our guys was presenting from home by phone. At one point during his presentation, he forgot to mute his phone and screamed "DAMMIT JAN, GET THE BABY SHE WONT STOP CRYING AND IM ON THE ####### PHONE!" That was about as bad as I can remember and everyone felt sorry for him more than embarrassed.

I've talked to a lot of people how to speak with clarity. and I hate putting myself into the role of counsellor if I can avoid it for tomorow's work presentation. What come back, or way to motivate a person is there if they have trouble speaking up in front of others due to performance anxiety?

I often hear from my boss not to say "I can't speak up" or "Please don't ask me to speak up I don't want to" or "I don't know how" once in a blue moon as constructive criticism. . :shrug:

Any advice?
I dont see any issues. You seem to articulate your thoughts quite well.

Any advice?
Practice, practice, breath, and practice some more. You can do this.
I think preparation is the key, and knowing your subject so you don't need notes, but if you can find a trusted colleague who knows something about the subject with whom you can talk in private for about an hour and just have him/her put you through the ringer in terms of the kinds of questions you might get, that would help a lot.

Also, enjoy yourself, skrew the bstrds that can't or won't take you seriously; let it rip, let them know what you really think (while also somehow being diplomatic).

Then afterwards go get beers. Think about that, look forward to it and the stories that will come out of your presentation. Like I said, enjoy yourself.

Yep.Also, when you sit and listen to a speaker, don't you want them to do well (not for their benefit but for yours)? Of course you do. So the assumption you need to make as a speaker is that the audience is on your side, not opposite. Who cares about their motivation?

All this - I do a good bit of presenting and while it never came naturally, it's second nature now.

Last thing I'd add, no matter how badly you screw up, I can pretty much guarantee no one will remember. Unless you piss your pants, it'll be out of sight out of mind soon enough. I had a presentation one time where one of our guys was presenting from home by phone. At one point during his presentation, he forgot to mute his phone and screamed "DAMMIT JAN, GET THE BABY SHE WONT STOP CRYING AND IM ON THE ####### PHONE!" That was about as bad as I can remember and everyone felt sorry for him more than embarrassed.
:lmao: I love the mute button shenanigans.

My boss was doing our weekly staff meeting and forgot to mute (I forget the dumb dog's name) "DAMN IT SPARKY YOU ARE DISGUSSSSSSTING!!!!!!!". I sat there thinking WTF and then she later told us what happened....

Her dog was apparently sitting in her lap while she was speaking and suddenly barfed in her lap. How she managed to keep going with a lap full of barf is beyond me. :lmao: :X :lmao:

Learn English first. Then present in English.
Agreed, I can't figure out if his boss is really telling him to speak up as constructive criticism or if his boss is telling him not tell others to speak up. I am assuming the former, but I don't have high hopes for the OP if he can't even get clarity in his post.

The most effective way to be comfortable when you speak is to know what you are talking about inside and out. If you are doing PP, don't put everything on the slide. Put the bare minimum up there to serve as a anchoring point/reminder for your pacing and content flow.

Some of my tricks of the trade in addition to the practice (if you don't like hearing yourself talk, put on headphones and listen to music while you talk through the presentation your first or second time...I know, a little odd. I used to do this in graduate school and found it effective).

• Get there early. Be the first guy in the room so that you can gauge your audience as they come in as opposed to suddenly walking into a full room and feeling overwhelmed.
  • Have some initial small talk with the first few people who get there. Helps build a connection and you'll feel their support as you present.
  • Dress well/look good. Easy way to buy some confidence.
  • Stand during your presentation. Shows command.
  • Have a bottle of water nearby. Allows you to have a pause here and there when you need one. And helps with dry mouth (I have this problem sometimes).
  • Have at least your opening comment (probably introducing yourself) down pat. Half the battle is a good start.
  • Have printed slides in front of you that you turn over as you click through yours. You can have notes on them if you like. Nothing wrong with this and if done well, it can make you look smart (like wearing glasses, it's a bit of an illusion).
  • Have one prop in front of you. Something that isn't powerpoint friendly. This is trickier but gets eyes off slides and on to you if only for a few moments.
  • Have images in your presentation that are cues for sharing a story or a statistic.
  • Try to avoid reading slides, but as I experience and have seen many do, a bit of reading as you begin a career giving presentations is not the end of the world.
  • Eye contact. Try to have eye contact (perhaps with the people you engaged early on) and if you're not comfortable, make eye contact with something that's across from you. Avoid looking down at your feet.
You WILL get better with practice, repetition and time. Guaranteed. And when you do improve, NEVER get too comfortable. Channel that anxiety into your preparation. The anxiety is actually a good thing.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread