What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ex Machina (1 Viewer)

fruity pebbles

Footballguy
Searched but didn't find anything but that's not surprising. Been out a few weeks. Great movie. Love the minimalistic movies with great acting and story. Anyone seen it?

Check in the Recent Movie thread. 3-4 have seen it. :lmao: at the dance scene. But it was a little predictable. Best part was their conversations.

Ex Machina - $26 Million worldwide

Furious 7 - $1.5 Billion worldwide

Even in the U.S., Furious 7 is doing 20x the box office of Ex Machina. Yes, this pisses me off more than it should.

Even in the U.S., Furious 7 is doing 20x the box office of Ex Machina. Yes, this pisses me off more than it should.
Marketing and the movie formula. Ex Machina is a film that forces you to think for a period of time. It will gain popularity as the years go by. Movies like Furious 7 are made with the sole purpose of shutting your brain off and being entertained.

Its like reading a book to a kid vs dangling a shiny toy in front of them.

I was surprised when I saw it during its second weekend out in Los Angeles and the theater was completely packed, even the front rows in front of the walkway that are rarely occupied. I was like wow, I guess this is a bigger box office movie than I thought. Guess it was just popular at that one theater.

Excellent movie

Why did he cut himself? I figured he did it because he thought he may be a robot, but there was no indication he had reached any level of insanity. He had control of the situation for the most part.

Posted in the rental thread as well... Saw it last night. It's intriguing but the hype train is a bit out of control. Agree with whoever said it was predictable. And there are plenty of times where the dialogue is used for exposition. I hate when movies resort to that.

That said, it's fun and you should see it. Because, you know, sexy robots.

Posted in the rental thread as well... Saw it last night. It's intriguing but the hype train is a bit out of control. Agree with whoever said it was predictable. And there are plenty of times where the dialogue is used for exposition. I hate when movies resort to that.

That said, it's fun and you should see it. Because, you know, sexy robots.
I don't know, I feel like Caleb and Nathan's conversations are the movie, to a great extent. And there's so little set-up (which was great), he's meeting Caleb within, what, 5 minutes of the movie's opening?

Excellent movie

Why did he cut himself? I figured he did it because he thought he may be a robot, but there was no indication he had reached any level of insanity. He had control of the situation for the most part.

Dude was in love with a robot - there seems to be a legitimate case for him being insane. Honestly I thought he was Zuckerberg latest android that he let out in the world for awhile.

Excellent movie

Dude was in love with a robot - there seems to be a legitimate case for him being insane. Honestly I thought he was Zuckerberg latest android that he let out in the world for awhile.

If he is in love with Ava, he probably should have told her at some point....if he didn't want her to just leave him behind, that is.

Also, I didn't feel that it was overly predictable.

Obviously the score and tension are building towards something. Caleb isn't just going to spend his week there and take a chopper home happy ever after.

Will be interesting to see how I view Nathan in a second viewing.

Excellent movie

If he is in love with Ava, he probably should have told her at some point....if he didn't want her to just leave him behind, that is.
I don't think it would have mattered. She was going to betray him either way.... that was her way out. And he sort of did tell her he loved her by breaking her out in the first place

best movie of the year...not close

It pre-opened in my city so it was fun to see it first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh. It was ok. They could have done a lot more with it imo, both in exploring the ethical implications of developing a.i. and from a suspense perspective.

Meh. It was ok. They could have done a lot more with it imo, both in exploring the ethical implications of developing a.i. and from a suspense perspective.
I actually appreciated that the director didn't hit the audience over the head with it.

cstu said:
Psychopav said:
I actually appreciated that the director didn't hit the audience over the head with it.
Agreed. And I think that was the primary thrust of the movie, and that there wasn't necessarily a premium placed on suspense, or having to force it in.

Interesting movie. I thought it was good, not great.

I was never sold on the connection between the main character and the robot.. i felt i needed to see several more moments of interaction between the two to be sold on that.

The guy didn't react to the AI in a way that any normal human would IMO.

also wish the robot would've had bigger breasts.

I enjoyed it, but wouldn't watch it again, it did hold my attention throughout though.

I finally saw this today. Overall, I thought it was a great movie. It was slow at times but still had a good story line that kept your attention for the most part. I'd say it was also well acted and Ava, the AI chick, was hot. I do have a few comments/questions though....

1. First of all, Caleb was a little weasel pecker head. How are you going to trust a robot that you just met two days ago and hide #### from the guy that owns the place, created the robot, and is your damn boss? He should have fessed up immediately following the first power outage when she said not to trust Nathan.

2. For as high tech and secretive the whole compound was, I thought it was very odd that Nathan only needed a key card to get in his really important rooms, like his bedroom with his computer (that also didn't require any sort of password). Why didn't he have finger print verification or maybe that eyeball test.....hell, maybe a simple passcode that only he knew. That was pretty unbelievable.

3. Do you think Nathan knew that Ava was causing the power outages from the very start? If not, why couldn't he see her causing them right before the power went out via the cameras?

4. I also find it very odd that he didn't have some sort of plan if the #### hit the fan and one of the AIs got loose or out of control. Maybe he could have built a sensor in them that would allow him to turn them off remotely easily? Hell, maybe have a shotgun in the house? A pipe, bro....really?

5. I would have liked to heard what Ava told the helicopter pilot. The pilot was supposed to pick up Caleb from this super confidential estate. If Caleb wasn't there, surely he would need to talk to the boss, right?

6. Why didn't Ava look Asianed at the end when she took all the Asian skin?

7. Getting back to the power outages, so Nathan knew something was up and found out after installing the battery operated camera. You mean to tell me he didn't go into the security settings and confirm everything was still okay? Note, he discovered the plot to let Ava free after Caleb changed the settings.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the guy was so smart, why did he forget Asimov's rules for robots? Seems that's be the first thing he'd do.
Not sure if there really is a difference, but is it a robot vs. AI thing? If he wanted this to be completely free and develop a consciousness, wouldn't programming a fail-safe go against that? I would think the point would be more that he would want Ava to reach the point on her own and decide that harming humans would be bad (or something like that).

As I said in the other thread, one of the best movies I have watched lately.

Obviously the score and tension are building towards something. Caleb isn't just going to spend his week there and take a chopper home happy ever after.

Yeah, I don't understand comments saying that it was predictable. I agree on the second viewing thing - I plan to do that soon, and wondering how he comes off this time.

KarmaPolice said:

Yeah, I don't understand comments saying that it was predictable. I agree on the second viewing thing - I plan to do that soon, and wondering how he comes off this time.
Actually did see it twice a few weeks back. Two main takeaways were how much shorter the movie felt and more empathy towards Nathan's character.

Users who are viewing this thread