What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I haven't been to the movie theater since before the Pandemic, when is the last time you went? (1 Viewer)

How about just the entire experience has made me feel uncomfortable in recent years?
Also, I haven't connected with a lot of movies that have been released plus I'm lazy and can just turn on the big OLED, kick on my surround, pop my beers and relax on my leather couch.
These movies are in the theaters for a couple weeks and then they start streaming immediately, there is almost no wait time or incentive to run to the theaters.

-Last film I tell people I saw is "The Irishman" and I thought it was a damn fine film, was not something I wanted to just stream on Netflix, that was Oct/Nov '19
-My wife had to ruin that story by reminding me that she rooked me into the movies on Christmas that year to watch...wait for it...CATS! :x

I was fired up to get myself back into the theaters and at least be prepared to go see a movie by one of a handful of directors that i will blindly buy a movie ticket for.
Those directors include one Martin Scorsese who just got a 10 minute standing ovation at Cannes, that film will not be out until October but that is my target if I don't see any of the summer movies.

-The Indiana Jones film looks like a disaster, the advance reviews don't seem to heap praise on it and then i find out Spielberg didn't even direct it, PASS
-A Tarantino release would also have me running into the theaters.

Any chance some of you have not been to a movie theater in a long time? I used to go at least twice a month when i lived in Los Angeles/Santa Monica '00-'08 and saw a lot of great movies at some amazing theaters, new and old when I was in California. In the last 10 years it's hard for me to point at a lot of great movies that I want to re-watch. No Country for Old Men was a movie that I used to like to watch more than once, it's been a while since I've seen it. I find myself watching TCM and they actually will play some 80s movies, I love the 60s and 70s films they tend to run throughout the month.

I don't even know what a ticket cost or a bucket of popcorn, can you get a bucket still?
My older son and I went to see the Mario Brothers movie back in the spring. I just haven't seen anything worth seeing. Plus, I'm not much of a movie person, so YMMV.

“If you take a tequila shot every time the word ‘patriarchy’ is mentioned you will die”: ‘Barbie’ drinking games do not come recommended

From the article:
Directing a classic summer blockbuster with wide appeal that also delves into the basics of feminist theory is a tough line for director Greta Gerwig to walk (mostly because of all that misogyny), but as the first comments about the film come in from those who’ve been able to grab an early screening, a common theme is emerging: the Lady Bird and Little Women director has continued her exploration of characters on the verge of womanhood, and all that entails.

They've done a fantastic job marketing Barbie. However, it will be interesting to see how much, if at all, the box office falls off in week 2.
More from the article:
New Zealand-based filmmaker Doug Dilaman has posted a small snapshot of his thoughts on the new Gerwig flick, and although he hasn’t said anything that will break the embargo, he’s certainly let his readers know that Barbie is not shying away from controversy, albeit in a funny way. Having also seen an early screening, I can confirm his joke about turning the use of the word patriarchy into a drinking game is a reasonable assessment from a number’s perspective (although we’d have gone with a more stereotypically Barbie drink than tequila). Importantly, though, his statement that it will be a divisive film also rings true, but in a much sadder way.

There’s been a terrible misogyny social media reaction to Barbie and one of their incel takes is that Robbie isn’t even that good looking like maybe a 6 or 7.
🤣social media
Some real special people there, let’s just say that.
I read a breathless article about some incels attacking the WNBA instagram account with sleeping emoji. I’m like wait, why am I reading this?

they have power because we keep writing and reading about them.

Saw it last night. Sold out show, probably 1/2 of the audience was in pink. A lot of teen girls but also groups of young guys too. The social media marketing clearly worked, it was a young crowd and lots of buzz. They were all totally well behaved.

As for the movie, fantastic. Non stop laughs. The audience was rolling the whole time. Plus some real genuine emotional moments. It had several messages but I think if you walk away from the movie thinking it was anti-men then you are simpleminded or looking to see that argument. Its real message is that it’s better to live a real life with risks than to have a “perfect” life where nothing bad can ever happen. It does carry the message that patriarchy is bad. It also delivers the message matriarchy is bad. The fine lines it walks all while being a great musical comedy is quite a feat. The Mark Ronson soundtrack rocks the whole way, visually it’s one a kind. An instant classic.

Last edited:
There’s been a terrible misogyny social media reaction to Barbie and one of their incel takes is that Robbie isn’t even that good looking like maybe a 6 or 7.
🤣social media
Some real special people there, let’s just say that.
I read a breathless article about some incels attacking the WNBA instagram account with sleeping emoji. I’m like wait, why am I reading this?

they have power because we keep writing and reading about them.
Yes but they have done some things that do have real impact such as review bombing certain movies to tank their RT scores to give audiences the perception it's not a good movie which does have real world impact.

Opp and Barbie did even better last night than were expected after their strong Thursday nights. Barbie now tracking to exceed $150 and Oppenheimer to hit $75. The theater was packed last night, even at 11:30. It was like 1998 or something.

One last Barbie thought: the question was posed about who the movie is for?

On the surface that would be tween girls, teen girls and young women. And from what I saw and heard at the theater they really liked it. However, I think a lot of it did go over their heads and maybe when the younger end of that audience watches it again in a decade they will get a lot more of the jokes.

Who the movie is best suited for is people 30-50. You probably need to be that age to get all the jokes. There are several Kubrick references, Matchbox 20 and Godfather jokes. JMW Turner, Preston Sturges and Jacques Tati were reference points. In ways it’s almost an old Hollywood musical. I don’t think an 18 year old will pick up any of that and even when they are 38, I don’t know if they will get it.

Opp and Barbie did even better last night than were expected after their strong Thursday nights. Barbie now tracking to exceed $150 and Oppenheimer to hit $75. The theater was packed last night, even at 11:30. It was like 1998 or something.
Great to see what happens when Hollywood puts the effort and money into original content instead of franchise movies. Hope the studios get the message.

Group of 12 family friends (parents and college age children) went together last night to MI6. Just a standard 2D presentation. Popcorn and candy and soda/water. Lots of laughs, intense and silly enough thriller. Hung around the lobby for half hour chatting, and got home at 11. Fun family night. Made me realize how much I've missed those.

Saw it last night. Sold out show, probably 1/2 of the audience was in pink. A lot of teen girls but also groups of young guys too. The social media marketing clearly worked, it was a young crowd and lots of buzz. They were all totally well behaved.

As for the movie, fantastic. Non stop laughs. The audience was rolling the whole time. Plus some real genuine emotional moments. It had several messages but I think if you walk away from the movie thinking it was anti-men then you are simpleminded or looking to see that argument. Its real message is that it’s better to live a real life with risks than to have a “perfect” life where nothing bad can ever happen. It does carry the message that patriarchy is bad. It also delivers the message matriarchy is bad. The fine lines it walks all while being a great musical comedy is quite a feat. The Mark Ronson soundtrack rocks the whole way, visually it’s one a kind. An instant classic.

I'll never see it, just no interest, but I respect your opinion on movies and appreciate your level-headed take on this movie. So much better than the screamers on twitter. :D

Just looked. My theatre has 12 Barbie showings tonight. All effectively sold out. Same with all 5 oppenheimers. Wish I was going, seems like a scene.

Group of 12 family friends (parents and college age children) went together last night to MI6. Just a standard 2D presentation. Popcorn and candy and soda/water. Lots of laughs, intense and silly enough thriller. Hung around the lobby for half hour chatting, and got home at 11. Fun family night. Made me realize how much I've missed those.
Hilarious they’re basically taking this giant opportunity to get people back to the movies and decided to let all the talent go on strike rather than paying them. Next time I hear a movie studio complain I’m laughing.

Great to see what happens when Hollywood puts the effort and money into original content instead of franchise movies. Hope the studios get the message.
Yeah, the latest gripe is movies based on products.
In addition to Barbie, you've got Air (Jordans) and Tetris (among others including so many on video games although that's not new).
Yet to come: BlackBerry, ; Flamin’ Hot (about the variety of Cheetos) and - I **** you not - Unfrosted: The Pop-Tart Story .

Saw Oppenheimer at 12:30 today. Sold out show, whole theater packed and barely any parking spots. Really like Oppenheimer. Excellent movie. A little more traditional paint by numbers than Barbie but it nailed it. Well worth seeing.

While the Hollywood Studios and WGA and SAG-AFTRA are at a standstill in labor talks –streaming residuals being a big bone of contention– the theatrical side of the business exploded, with Barbenheimer together grossing more than $511M worldwide, $235.5M of that being domestic. Never before in the history of Hollywood movies have two films opened to $100M+ (Barbie) and $50M (Oppenheimer) at the domestic box office.

As of Sunday, Warner Bros.’ Barbie counts a domestic opening of $155M, with $182M abroad, while Universal’s Oppenheimer did $80.5M domestic and another $93.7M abroad.

Massive, historic.

But not some sign that movies are coming back. Best director in the business, and biggest marketing attack ever. Not going to be a regular occurrence.

While the Hollywood Studios and WGA and SAG-AFTRA are at a standstill in labor talks –streaming residuals being a big bone of contention– the theatrical side of the business exploded, with Barbenheimer together grossing more than $511M worldwide, $235.5M of that being domestic. Never before in the history of Hollywood movies have two films opened to $100M+ (Barbie) and $50M (Oppenheimer) at the domestic box office.

As of Sunday, Warner Bros.’ Barbie counts a domestic opening of $155M, with $182M abroad, while Universal’s Oppenheimer did $80.5M domestic and another $93.7M abroad.

Massive, historic.

But not some sign that movies are coming back. Best director in the business, and biggest marketing attack ever. Not going to be a regular occurrence.
The big thing Barbie did was attract an audience that hadn’t been to the theaters in awhile. Similar to what Maverick did.

On the surface that would be tween girls, teen girls and young women. And from what I saw and heard at the theater they really liked it. However, I think a lot of it did go over their heads and maybe when the younger end of that audience watches it again in a decade they will get a lot more of the jokes.

Who the movie is best suited for is people 30-50. You probably need to be that age to get all the jokes. There are several Kubrick references, Matchbox 20 and Godfather jokes. JMW Turner, Preston Sturges and Jacques Tati were reference points. In ways it’s almost an old Hollywood musical. I don’t think an 18 year old will pick up any of that and even when they are 38, I don’t know if they will get it.
Saw Barbie last night with my daughter - group of 8 with five 19-year old girls. First time Closer to Fine played she looks at me - “Dad, it’s your song!”

Saw Barbie last night with my daughter - group of 8 with five 19-year old girls. First time Closer to Fine played she looks at me - “Dad, it’s your song!”
The Matchbox 20 stuff killed me. Did not expect that to be such a big part of the movie.

I took my boys the first week of summer... we ended up seeing Flash. It was probably our 4th movie of which we wanted to see but we (me) didn't plan it and just showed up there. The choice was Flash right away or wait and hour + for the other movies.

We would have gone more but they are so expensive. If I go with just me and the kids it is $75 dropped and that is before we hit the concession stand.

I took my boys the first week of summer... we ended up seeing Flash. It was probably our 4th movie of which we wanted to see but we (me) didn't plan it and just showed up there. The choice was Flash right away or wait and hour + for the other movies.

We would have gone more but they are so expensive. If I go with just me and the kids it is $75 dropped and that is before we hit the concession stand.
In our theater shopping center, a five below opened about 20 feet away from the theater front door. Easy pop over there for the candy. We do overpay for the popcorn and drinks though. Crazy prices.

In our theater shopping center, a five below opened about 20 feet away from the theater front door. Easy pop over there for the candy. We do overpay for the popcorn and drinks though. Crazy prices.
Yea, when we do go we do usually bring in our own candy. The time before the last when I had planned it out so we got some candy. I totally over played it and was like "HIDE IT! Don't let them see or we will get arrested." I found out that I have very little to fear of my youngest trying to get away with things in the future. Dude just cracked under the pressure. :lmao: But yea, then you just get popcorn and a drink.... gawd forbid one of them wants a food item.... and we just doubled up the cost of the trip.

Follow the pink. They were walking on Lincoln Road to the Regal Movie theater, dolled up women, young and old, and even the men in their group were dressed in pink. My SO wore a pink blouse. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say women and girls will like this movie more the guys. Both of my adult daughters liked it.

I finally decided to buy the $21.99 unlimited package from Regal. It's a 3 month commitment. Oppenheimer was sold out so we chose plan B. The first half setup was good, fun, Margot Robbie is perfectly beautiful, it's easy to see how Ryan Gosling falls in love with her. The middle of the movie had some slow moments. It's hard to make a good movie for a young and older auaudience. The ending was good. I liked several songs including the ones by Dua Lipa and the closing song by Billie Eillish.

I saw MI last week. Total cost: $6.25

No coupons or discounts. This was list price.
I have no idea why, but prices dropped (from $8 a year ago). I went to a 1:30 pm show, so after lunch and I didn't really want a snack.

Saw Sound of Freedom over the weekend. Theaters were absolutely packed. Hadn't seen it like that in years.

Barbenheimer assaulted the box office this weekend.
Wife and I were set to see Openheimer at an IMaAX in Delray Beach, a smooth 35-45 minute drive from where we are but we wanted to see it on an IMAX as I think they filmed the movie to cater with larger formats.

It was sold out all weekend, only 3 shows a day because of the length of the film.
Going to try maybe a T/W afternoon show and see if we can secure some seats, take a few hours off work and escape.
I haven't wanted to see a movie in a long time where I felt like if I missed it at the theater I could enjoy it just as much at home, this is one of those films that draws me to the theater.
I hope its planning a long run before cable and streaming.

After wolf of wall street she can do no wrong imo
She’s a star. No doubt about it, always magnetic on screen. You can put her on screen with Pitt, Leo, Gosling, doesn’t matter. She won’t be outshined.
:lol:

She is the hottest thing on film, it must be very difficult being her husband, sorry but he must constantly see that everyone who meets his wife wants to bang her.
6? What a joke and I'm not a big fan of skinny women but she is a show stopper.

Barbie and Oppenheimer continue to steamroll. Even during the weekdays, Barbie is making like $20 mill a day and Oppy at about $10 mill. Barbie might hit a billion.

She’s a star. No doubt about it, always magnetic on screen. You can put her on screen with Pitt, Leo, Gosling, doesn’t matter. She won’t be outshined.

She is the hottest thing on film, it must be very difficult being her husband, sorry but he must constantly see that everyone who meets his wife wants to bang her.
Yeah for sure. Her energy is incredible too, it's not just looks. Not even close. I could make a case that Wolf, Once Upon a Time, Babylon, Tonya and Barbie are 5 of my favorite 25 movies of the century. That's no fluke.

Seeing Barbie tonight. 8 showings at my theater after 6:00 and all sold out except the front row. This movie is a powerhouse.

Yeah for sure. Her energy is incredible too, it's not just looks. Not even close. I could make a case that Wolf, Once Upon a Time, Babylon, Tonya and Barbie are 5 of my favorite 25 movies of the century. That's no fluke.
she couldn't save Amsterdam though. Ooooofff.

she couldn't save Amsterdam though. Ooooofff.
No she could not lol

We saw Haunted Mansion today. It was pretty good.

My wife is going with her sister and our 3 nieces to see Barbie tomorrow.

Movies I've seen at the theater this year;

Air
Mission Impossible
Talk to Me
Oppenheimer

All quality offerings, albeit very different from one another. I listed them in the cronological order in which I saw them, as I would have no idea how to rank them against one another. Rankings would probably vary with my mood. So consider this high praise for the somewhat-under-the-radar Talk to Me.

Users who are viewing this thread