What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I haven't been to the movie theater since before the Pandemic, when is the last time you went? (1 Viewer)

The last movie theater I went to was a drive in, to see Super Mario Bros. and I enjoyed it, both the movie and the drive in. It’s honestly a better way to watch films, if you have to go and see one in theaters

Never stopped going but lately there's been some pretty terrible movies so no reason to go. Even kids movies. Super Mario movie was the last one we saw though.

Never stopped going but lately there's been some pretty terrible movies so no reason to go. Even kids movies. Super Mario movie was the last one we saw though.
I agree, the quality of films has really deteriorated over the last few years. I like the Mario movie, I wish that was the Mario movie I was promised as a kid, instead of the one I got

Saw Past Lives Thursday evening. Great movie- but it’s probably not one that’s going to get a lot of people to rush out to see. Loved it though. It’s just a straight forward long distance will they won’t they romance though.

I agree, the quality of films has really deteriorated over the last few years. I like the Mario movie, I wish that was the Mario movie I was promised as a kid, instead of the one I got
Went to see the original in the theater and was thoroughly confused. I've grown to accept it over the decades.

I love going to the theater, so this won't discourage me but had a funny experience this morning. Went to the 10am showing of Indiana Jones. About 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through the movie, the lights went on and the movie went off. After about 15 minutes, the staff didn't know what to do or how to fix it, so we left.

So ... I've seen about 2/3 of the new Indiana Jones movie.

Saw Mission Impossible-Dead Reckoning last night. Was a great movie, even if it's part 1 of 2. Saw Indiana Jones last week. Was very average. Both movies could use a little less chase scenes and a little more plot.

The last movie I willingly saw in a theater was pre-COVID, I went to an 11 AM showing of A Quiet Place hoping to be in an empty theater to get the full silence effect (and not have it ruined by chatter/other people). Only one other couple came in but they were silent the whole time, minus the occasional gasp at a jump scare.

I said willingly because about a month or so ago I broke my streak and took my daughter to see Little Mermaid because she begged and begged. Ended up running into a friend of hers there so she sat with them and I sat in the very back row and played on my phone the whole time.

My sons have been to more movies than my wife and I have, but all of us have only gone to the movies you’d want to see at the theater. Probably would have been to more with my boys but the Marvel movies besides GotG3 haven’t been good.

Last night I went to MI with one of my boys and it reminded why I sometimes prefer to wait for movies to stream. Weird Dad, Mom and son in front of us. Dad was talking about every preview like it was a teaching moment and actually whistled whenever Tom was in the air going down. The mom went to the bathroom and proceeded to fart loudly when she sat down. This of course made my son and I laugh a lot especially when we looked at each other, but kind of distracted from the movie. The kid, who was probably 12, sneezed at least 30 times. Most was before the movie but JFC, do people not no how to teach their kids how to cover their mouth now? Sneeze into your elbow, get a paper towel. So glad we were behind them.

Just another one of those situations where some people are so oblivious to others and have no common courtesy.

Seeing Across the spider verse now. The previews are terrible for other movies.

Only 20 mins of previews at least.

My sons have been to more movies than my wife and I have, but all of us have only gone to the movies you’d want to see at the theater. Probably would have been to more with my boys but the Marvel movies besides GotG3 haven’t been good.

Last night I went to MI with one of my boys and it reminded why I sometimes prefer to wait for movies to stream. Weird Dad, Mom and son in front of us. Dad was talking about every preview like it was a teaching moment and actually whistled whenever Tom was in the air going down. The mom went to the bathroom and proceeded to fart loudly when she sat down. This of course made my son and I laugh a lot especially when we looked at each other, but kind of distracted from the movie. The kid, who was probably 12, sneezed at least 30 times. Most was before the movie but JFC, do people not no how to teach their kids how to cover their mouth now? Sneeze into your elbow, get a paper towel. So glad we were behind them.

Just another one of those situations where some people are so oblivious to others and have no common courtesy.
How was the movie?

How was the movie?
It was good and we enjoyed it but the distractions definitely took away from it. Hopefully, it will be streaming before the 2nd part.

When there are 15 min of previews, mostly of stupid movies, there is nothing wrong with talking about the previews in a low voice. The sneezing thing is brutal, to me that’s the worst part.

When there are 15 min of previews, mostly of stupid movies, there is nothing wrong with talking about the previews in a low voice. The sneezing thing is brutal, to me that’s the worst part.
The previews all looked great. I wanted to see everyone. There was some AI movie that looked like a cross between Blade Runner, Star Wars and Children of Men, Oppenheimer, Dune 2, the new Scorsese movie, a Bob Marley movie and Ridley Scott’s Napoleon.

The previews all looked great. I wanted to see everyone. There was some AI movie that looked like a cross between Blade Runner, Star Wars and Children of Men, Oppenheimer, Dune 2, the new Scorsese movie, a Bob Marley movie and Ridley Scott’s Napoleon.
Cool that you will get to see some new movies. I might see 1-2 from that group.

I.didnt even know napolean was being made. That looks epic

I.didnt even know napolean was being made. That looks epic
You mean it looks....

Dynamite

😎

Yeaaaahahahahhhhhbh

I went to the afternoon showing of Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1 today. I've heard some complaints that it has 2 parts. Hell, I'd sit through 6 parts if they were all as good as Part 1. Cruise always delivers. Dude just turned 61 and he's still running around and jumping off mountains. Side note: would it kill him to at least let the grey show at his temples? I'm not buying that hair color.

Anyway, couple of notes.
  1. The place was packed for a Monday 1:30 pm showing. Had to be 20+ people in the theater (and yeah, that's packed for Monday afternoon; maybe not day 1, but 8 days in? I say yes)
  2. Ticket prices went down at the theater I was at. Movies (full price) were $8 last year. It was $6.75 today. No special deals. No discounts. Just 15% lower.
  3. One minor disturbance during the show. About 1/2 way through a guy gets up and leaves. Said there were mice running around. I didn't see any. Probably tripping.
Lots of crappy previews. Only thing they showed that I was interested in was the Scorsese film coming out in October.

Next up: Barbie. Yep, daughter wants to see it. Apparently Barbenheimer is a thing but I have no interest in Oppenheimer.
the bomb works

I went to the afternoon showing of Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1 today. I've heard some complaints that it has 2 parts. Hell, I'd sit through 6 parts if they were all as good as Part 1. Cruise always delivers. Dude just turned 61 and he's still running around and jumping off mountains. Side note: would it kill him to at least let the grey show at his temples? I'm not buying that hair color.

Anyway, couple of notes.
  1. The place was packed for a Monday 1:30 pm showing. Had to be 20+ people in the theater (and yeah, that's packed for Monday afternoon; maybe not day 1, but 8 days in? I say yes)
  2. Ticket prices went down at the theater I was at. Movies (full price) were $8 last year. It was $6.75 today. No special deals. No discounts. Just 15% lower.
  3. One minor disturbance during the show. About 1/2 way through a guy gets up and leaves. Said there were mice running around. I didn't see any. Probably tripping.
Lots of crappy previews. Only thing they showed that I was interested in was the Scorsese film coming out in October.

Next up: Barbie. Yep, daughter wants to see it. Apparently Barbenheimer is a thing but I have no interest in Oppenheimer.
the bomb works
Maybe you had different previews but no interest in Dune 2 or Napoleon?

Anyway, couple of notes.

the bomb works
Maybe you had different previews but no interest in Dune 2 or Napoleon?
Definite interest, particularly Dune 2
My previews (that I can remember less than 24 hours later, which says something) were
* the race car video game one (Gran Tourismo???)
* Blue Beetle
* Killers of the Flower Moon

The other previews would have been welcome.

Going to be a big weekend for the theaters (and they need it). Barbie tracking for a bigger opening weekend than Guardians of the Galaxy 3 with over $100 million likely. Oppenheimer tracking to top last week's Mission Impossible.

Barbie tracking for a bigger opening weekend than Guardians of the Galaxy 3 with over $100 million likely.
I really don't understand who the target audience is for this movie - doesn't seem like a kids movie really. Maybe it's more of a comedy than I think, but not sure I'd even watch this on streaming let alone trecking to a theater.

I really don't understand who the target audience is for this movie - doesn't seem like a kids movie really. Maybe it's more of a comedy than I think, but not sure I'd even watch this on streaming let alone trecking to a theater.

I kind of wonder if the ... I don't know ... "weirdness" (?) of the concept has become part of the draw. Heckuva coin flip for the studios, though ... in the pitchroom, Barbie had to be a project that looked like "Either it will make a billion, or bankrupt the studio. No in-between!"

I'/m not a marketing genius or anything but......women?

Not just. A more-than-you'd-think number of adult men seem to looking forward to Barbie. I'm sure there's some Beavis-like "Huh, huh ... hot babes!" going on there ... but not enough to account for all the male buzz that seems to be out there.

Barbie seems to represent a huge zig to the rest of the film industry's zag. And maybe that zig is enough to make a movie huge in summer 2023.

It's also such a massive marketing monster that there is a ton of people who are terrified of not being able to talk about the Barbie movie on Monday.

Barbie tracking for a bigger opening weekend than Guardians of the Galaxy 3 with over $100 million likely.
It’s a comedy and the audience is women and I guess anyone who likes comedies? I would assume gay guys are going to love it too. It’s been red hot with the kind of homegrown buzz on social media that money can’t buy. The Ken song is absolutely hysterical. The trailer looks hilarious. I’ve heard it as described a mix of Pee Wee’s Big Adventure, Elf and The Truman Show- obviously all from a very female driven POV.

Also Greta Gerwig is one of the best young filmmakers out there so that helps with serious movie nerds.

I'/m not a marketing genius or anything but......women?

Not just. A more-than-you'd-think number of adult men seem to looking forward to Barbie. I'm sure there's some Beavis-like "Huh, huh ... hot babes!" going on there ... but not enough to account for all the male buzz that seems to be out there.

Barbie seems to represent a huge zig to the rest of the film industry's zag. And maybe that zig is enough to make a movie huge in summer 2023.
It looks like great fun :shrug:

It's also such a massive marketing monster that there is a ton of people who are terrified of not being able to talk about the Barbie movie on Monday.

Interesting thought. Can you think of another movie that may have applied to?
The Marvel movies when they were at their peak
Movies with twists.

M. Night Shyamalan movies before he lost all his talent.

Tell you what, if I was a dad with daughters, and they wanted to go see it, I would have purchased tickets last week. This is not the hill to die on, dads.

Have a huge theater near me and most showings this weekend are practically sold out for both. Just the front row seats and a few random singles left. These movies are gonna cook.

I'll watch Margot Robbie pretty much do anything for 2 hours
There’s been a terrible misogyny social media reaction to Barbie and one of their incel takes is that Robbie isn’t even that good looking like maybe a 6 or 7. These of course always come from accounts with cartoons instead of pictures of themselves as their avatar. I would love to see these sloppy idiots who think Margot isn’t absolutely stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread