What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phillip Dorsett underrated in rookie drafts? (1 Viewer)

EBF

Footballguy
I've done three rookie drafts so far. All three were dev leagues with depleted talent pools (guys like Gurley, Cooper, and Gordon were picked in college). I had a pick between 8-10 in every draft and Dorsett fell to my pick every time. I haven't seen rookie ADP data yet, but it looks like he's going to land between 12-15 in most leagues. That seems pretty cheap to me for a speedy first round WR in a loaded offense with an elite QB. I guess I'm just surprised. I assumed after the draft that his ADP would be right up there with Agholor and Perriman.

We've seen in the past how a great QB can elevate his second and third options to weekly FF starter status. Look at what guys like Hilton, Cobb, Cooks, Welker, Decker, and even Lance Moore have done in recent years. To me it seems that any time you have a chance to grab a big piece of an explosive passing game, you should probably leap at it. Yet people are sleeping on Dorsett. I wasn't deliberately targeting him in any of my leagues, but at this rate I'm going to end up grabbing him on the majority of my teams.

Overdrafted and overrated. I don't think he'll ever be as good as Hilton. He's not better than Moncrief. Cobb and Cooks were way better prospects. Welker had a specific role. Decker was a better prospect as well. Moore produced because he always knew where to be and Brees loved throwing to him. He was also very shifty and had a high Red Zone usage. I don't see that from Dorsett. Bust.

Agholor figures to start right away and immediately fill in for Maclin. Same with Perriman for Torrey Smith. Who is Dorsett replacing?

Overdrafted and overrated. I don't think he'll ever be as good as Hilton. He's not better than Moncrief. Cobb and Cooks were way better prospects. Welker had a specific role. Decker was a better prospect as well. Moore produced because he always knew where to be and Brees loved throwing to him. He was also very shifty and had a high Red Zone usage. I don't see that from Dorsett. Bust.

Agholor figures to start right away and immediately fill in for Maclin. Same with Perriman for Torrey Smith. Who is Dorsett replacing?
I'm not certain that Dorsett is going to be a bust - he may end up being a very good player. I'd rather have a number of other rookie WRs before Dorsett...

I'd rather Perriman... DGB... Strong... Agholar... Funchess... Maybe even Coates and Conley.....

Good prospect. I don't see him going before any of the other guys taken in the first round, and I wouldn't take him before DGB. However I have him right after DGB. Why not? First round pick, drafted well ahead of Moncrief, who was the 14th WR taken last season (90). Conversely Dorsett was the 6th wideout off the board (29).

He does have an unclear path to snaps. However great or very good players will rise to the top. If he does rise to the top, you'll know he beat some serious competition to get there. This situation reminds me a lot of Randall Cobb coming in. Here was a kid taken early by a team with a great system and excellent young QB. The problem was that there were pro bowlers galore ahead of him. Same with Dorsett.

It's odd to me that you can mention the specific role Welker played and seem to miss the role Dorsett should play.

Agree that he's unlikely to be as good as hilton, but we didn't expect hilton to do what he is either.

Dorsett is almost certainly going to be primarily a deep threat. Whatever Torrey Smith and Desean Jackson are worth in your league is probably his ceiling. There's value there but more in best ball or non ppr; he's the somewhat unusual wide receiver who is worth less in ppr.

Pre-NFL draft he was listed as WR5 by Walterfootball, WR6 by NFLDraftscout, so actually going late 1st round as the 6th WR is no upset. Not overdrafted or overrated. And he's easily better than Moncrief. C'mon.

Going to the team with the #1 dynasty QB is not a bad thing! People are looking at this totally wrong if they are seriously seeing guys like Conley as better prospects because of situation.

People who rank and draft rookies based on perceived initial situation really don't get it or know what the hell they are doing. That may seem harsh but so be it. Talent creates its own opportunity and things change fast in the NFL. The team is giddy over drafting him, and a year or two from now Dorsett could be Luck's #1. He probably is more talented than Hilton (oh the shock that a 1st rounder could be better than a 3rd rounder who has benefited from a great QB and pass happy system!) and certainly than Moncrief. And Johnson may be gone in a year, as could Hilton.

I'd rather have Dorsett than all but WRs Cooper, White, Parker, and maybe DBG (still not sure how I feel about his head case risk). Yes, ahead of Perriman and Agholor. I know I won't have to take him that high though so that's great.

From what I'm seeing on this message board (including the trade thread) this week I'm concluding that people 1) don't get how special Gurley is, and 2) how much better the careers of Dorsett and Maxx Williams will be than they realize.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Dorsett quite a lot. I think he was severely held back by the coaching at Miami and a young Qb and the tendency to play through the RB and TE.

I agreed with the high pre-draft ranking I saw on some sites (5-8). However, I think those making the rankings were basing that with the assumption he would end up on a team with a different need/avenue to playing time.

Currently, I probably wouldn't consider drafting him until the 16th or so pick. The reason being is because the Colts are a 2 TE team and already has the exact role Dorsett brings to the table covered by Hilton. Like some others said above, the playing path is cluttered in comparison to Agholor and Perriman, etc and that pushes him down. Also, Hilton showed promise but he really didn't come around until his 2nd year and after some changes in offensive philosophy.

I think people can draft him around the 16 or so pick and get good value but will need patience. Under different circumstances, I might not let that hold me back and push him down and I might still take him higher but Agholor and Perriman ended up in situations where their ff outlook is nice. This is a guy I would rather let someone else draft right now and then look to trade for as past of a package later in the year.

Pagano quote:

"“It’ll be great competition,” coach Chuck Pagano said. “You guys know what T.Y. is. We added a guy just like him (in Dorsett). I don’t know if he’s a step or two faster. He’s strong. He’s durable. The guy’s not a track guy playing football. I mean the guy can run and he’s tough. He’ll go up and make contested catches.”

Pagano quote:

"“It’ll be great competition,” coach Chuck Pagano said. “You guys know what T.Y. is. We added a guy just like him (in Dorsett). I don’t know if he’s a step or two faster. He’s strong. He’s durable. The guy’s not a track guy playing football. I mean the guy can run and he’s tough. He’ll go up and make contested catches.”
One of the things I thought about Dorsett was, on the field, he plays at a rare speed level. That IS something that looks very promising down the road. With that being said though, and how coaches are about team dynamics, I think Dorsett role has to be created, opened up by injury, or opened up by a Hilton departure.

I'd guess that the Dorsett pick was made in anticipation of Hilton's hitting free agency next year. Some team is going to throw $10+ million at him, and I don't know that the Colts are going to match it. Pretty good chance that the Colts' pecking order for targets looks very different a year from now (Fleener / Allen are FA next year too).

I'm all over Dorsett in the mid / late 1st this year.

I'd guess that the Dorsett pick was made in anticipation of Hilton's hitting free agency next year. Some team is going to throw $10+ million at him, and I don't know that the Colts are going to match it. Pretty good chance that the Colts' pecking order for targets looks very different a year from now (Fleener / Allen are FA next year too).

Certainly could be the case because you never know what the market will bear but I think the part that must be factored that we don't always see is the chemistry. Luck has outstanding chemistry with Luck and I think Luck will probably get what Luck wants as he takes control of this offense.

It wouldn't shock me to see Hilton leave but I would think its more likely they tag him or work something out and, if anything, the offense less emphasizes the two TEs (in the sense that they make less effort to retain Fleener and Allen). I think Fleener is probably the guy that ends up somewhere else over anybody else.

I don't fully understand the cap but I do believe both TY and Luck are up for new contracts next year along with a few other guys. The Colts may be reluctant to pay what TY will ask for. I know the cap goes up next year and there's also a chance AJ2000 continues to decline, so I believe in the upside of a guy I LOVED based on what I saw live at the Combine in conjunction with his tape and measurable attributes.

Early 2nd rounder in a rookie draft easily for me.

I don't fully understand the cap but I do believe both TY and Luck are up for new contracts next year along with a few other guys. The Colts may be reluctant to pay what TY will ask for. I know the cap goes up next year and there's also a chance AJ2000 continues to decline, so I believe in the upside of a guy I LOVED based on what I saw live at the Combine in conjunction with his tape and measurable attributes.

Early 2nd rounder in a rookie draft easily for me.
I think the Colts can easily retain both and that won't be a problem if they choose. The importance of capitalizing on Luck and where he is as an ascending player can't be ignored. Its pointless to have 15% of your cap tied up to a franchise QB if you govern him by taking away the weapons that are working perfectly.

I agree on the slot for Dorsett. I, personally, won't take him in the top 11 or 12 but if he is 16 overall and after, I think you pull the trigger and smile.

The Packers have Rodgers, Nelson and Cobb. Colts can keep Hilton. I can't think of a team with an elite qb that let their wr1 walk. It just doesn't happen often and I have a hard time seeing them let Hilton go. So then my problem is that I can't see how Dorsett can become a 1000 yard wr playing with Hilton. They're both so small I just find it hard to see them both on the field 90% of the time. Can't see him going in the first round of many rookie drafts and I'd be happy if people in my drafts took him there. He's too much of a lottery ticket imo.

Torry Holt- 6' 200

Isaac Bruce- 6' 188

TY Hilton- 5'9" 178

Phillip Dorsett- 5'10" 185

It's been done before. Just sayin. :)

I agree with this. He's perfect for a rebuild. If he was drafted by the Pats, people would be going nuts. Well, his long term situation is much better in Indy. But you need to wait for your reward. He's a nice exercise in patience.

Don't discount the possibility that Dorsett might just be the most talented receiver on the team. Because he was certainly drafted the highest. Just saying. What if he's just simply better than Hilton and makes that apparent in the next 12 months?

Torry Holt- 6' 200

Isaac Bruce- 6' 188

TY Hilton- 5'9" 178

Yeah, once every 15 years or so... Looks uncommon to me.

Hey! Talent is talent and if that is what makes the team go, they will do it but I agree with those that are having a hard time seeing it fit because it seems like those that are saying it WILL be a fit have to universally anchor that thought to the assumption that TY Hilton leaves Indy and that, to me, is a much bigger gamble than, say, drafting Agholor or Perriman or somebody instead.

Honestly, given those parameters, I think there is a more likely chance you draft Ajayi, watch him do some nice things this year, trade him for Dorsett AND something else later in the season and gain value there.

Don't discount the possibility that Dorsett might just be the most talented receiver on the team. Because he was certainly drafted the highest. Just saying. What if he's just simply better than Hilton and makes that apparent in the next 12 months?
I think to be THAT clearly more talented, Dorsett would have been a bigger buzz name earlier. He was more of a riser vs. a guy that we have been talking about for two years.

He was also a senior, and, say what you want, but when you have that much clearly upper echelon talent, you don't stay for your senior year and decide to put a senior year into a new qb.

Torry Holt- 6' 200

Isaac Bruce- 6' 188

TY Hilton- 5'9" 178

Hey! Talent is talent and if that is what makes the team go, they will do it but I agree with those that are having a hard time seeing it fit because it seems like those that are saying it WILL be a fit have to universally anchor that thought to the assumption that TY Hilton leaves Indy and that, to me, is a much bigger gamble than, say, drafting Agholor or Perriman or somebody instead.

Honestly, given those parameters, I think there is a more likely chance you draft Ajayi, watch him do some nice things this year, trade him for Dorsett AND something else later in the season and gain value there.
Is it also fair to say that Luck is an uncommon talent? ;)

I think to be THAT clearly more talented, Dorsett would have been a bigger buzz name earlier. He was more of a riser vs. a guy that we have been talking about for two years.

He was also a senior, and, say what you want, but when you have that much clearly upper echelon talent, you don't stay for your senior year and decide to put a senior year into a new qb.
:shrug: that he went to a big school makes a difference, but he doesn't have to have "clearly upper echelon talent" coming out of college to be the Colts best receiver.

:shrug: that he went to a big school makes a difference, but he doesn't have to have "clearly upper echelon talent" coming out of college to be the Colts best receiver.
That's true. I just get the impressions that this was a "cute" pick by the Colts. I don't think this was a case where it is commonly thought that this guy changes the COlts for the better. His speed and the smoothness of his speed is absolutely enticing. But at the end of the day, Luck and Hilton have something clicking and I don't think you offset that.

I think, early on, Dorsett will be Torrey Smith. He might have a 30+ point fantasy game on big plays. But with Gore there. And AJ. And Hilton. And Allan and Fleener, this isn't a guy that gets the volume to be consistent.

He is what several have said. Great Upside. Patience needed.

I think watching T.Y. Hilton is an exercise in seeing what a good athlete with sub-par skills can do with the best ball-tosser in the free world as his QB. I don't think he runs routes, makes plays, or even catches particularly well. But he's fast and has been part of the system for a couple years. And all you need is a tiny bit of separation for a guy like Luck to put the ball in your hands as you streak through a very small window most QB's couldn't make use of.

I think Dorsett is a better WR than T.Y. :shrug:

T.Y. will certainly start the year as a much, much bigger part of the passing O. But I think by the end of the year, it could be painfully obvious that he's no better than the third-best WR on that roster. He may still end the year with the best numbers, but the writing will be on the wall by week ten or so. And if he bolts in FA, I think a lot of people may be disappointed to see how mediocre he is with pretty much any other QB at the helm.

Not sure why anyone would think that Luck can't support two strong fantasy WRs. Hilton leaving would be nice for Dorsett, sure, but it's hardly necessary for him to achieve FF relevance. I'd take "potentially Luck's #2" all day in the late 1st.

Yeah I am not sure I see where the problem is.

Even take him to tun and flip him next year. Nicks value got a boost when he signed with IND. Da'Rick Rogers was a hot commodity when IND picked him up. Moncrief exploded for a couple games and doubled his value. Duron Carter signed a FA deal and actually had some value...

I am reading any pass catcher in IND value will skyrocket with even minimal usage

I think it is just a smart investment because while no one sees a spot for him I think the Colts believe they are a contender so anyone drafted someone in the first few rounds are likely to be seen as guys that can help now...not down the road

I am buying all day long and am likely to end up with him on a few teams where I have late 1sts

What happened to Fleener than. 2nd round pick who was former college teammate and all hoped for big numbers

I know they also drafted Allen but how has his numbers done in Indy. I think owners see LUck and expect greatness but that is not always the case. Has not been for the TE anyways. Hilton has done well but who says they dont draft another big WR next year to replace Andre and they want Dorsett more for the return game and some 3rd or 4th WR duty

I think watching T.Y. Hilton is an exercise in seeing what a good athlete with sub-par skills can do with the best ball-tosser in the free world as his QB. I don't think he runs routes, makes plays, or even catches particularly well. But he's fast and has been part of the system for a couple years. And all you need is a tiny bit of separation for a guy like Luck to put the ball in your hands as you streak through a very small window most QB's couldn't make use of.

T.Y. will certainly start the year as a much, much bigger part of the passing O. But I think by the end of the year, it could be painfully obvious that he's no better than the third-best WR on that roster. He may still end the year with the best numbers, but the writing will be on the wall by week ten or so. And if he bolts in FA, I think a lot of people may be disappointed to see how mediocre he is with pretty much any other QB at the helm.
Dorset isn't even as good as Tyler Lockett, how can he be better than Hilton?

LOL

I can't believe how low he's going in rookie drafts. If I told you a month ago that Indianapolis was going to draft a WR in the first round people would have probably been going crazy over him. Now it happened and....nothing.

When he was drafted I expected him to battle for the 1.06 spot with Agholor and whatever 2nd tier RBs ended up in good spots. Instead I've seen him slipping to the mid 2nd in several drafts, a full round later.

Andre Johnson is about to turn 34 and is coming off his worst year ever, Donte Moncrief is meh, and TY Hilton is an UFA after 2016. There are plenty of paths to the starting job for Dorsett, maybe just not this year. That never used to be a detriment when talking about rookie WRs but I guess the ODB's and Mike Evans of the world have left people expecting to get production year 1.

At these 2nd round prices, I'm buying. Bigtime.

There wasn't much excitement about Hilton when he came out. Myself and many others thought he was too small. Just a slot guy. No FF value.

Well, look at him now. This feels a bit like that. I think the big factor that you have to love is Luck. A QB like that can turn a lot of WRs into gold.

Beyond that, I'm reminded of when the Colts took Reggie Wayne in the late 1st. Much different style of player, but at the time there wasn't a huge level of hype around him due to Santana Moss outshining him in college and several other WRs being drafted higher (Freddie Mitchell, Rod Gardner, Koren Robinson, David Terrell, etc). You can't assume that Dorsett is going to work out like that (remember Anthony Gonzalez?), but as others have said I feel there's big value at his ADP when you think about what he can be on this team.

Dorsett definitely seems to be falling too far. He fell to me at #18 in a 10 team start QRRWW + flex league. I didn't need another WR and traded him for #22 plus a 2016 2nd (mid/high). But if Dorsett falls to me in the 2nd in either of my other two dynasty leagues, I'm holding.

Whoa whoa whoa.....Aaron Rodgers is still with the Packers.

Interesting topic.

Haven't had the pleasure of participating in a rookie or dynasty startup draft yet this season but I can see why he'd fall to that range. I agree with Xue that he's not a "special" talent to me, but a solid prospect with a nice skill set nonetheless. But EBF is right, an elite QB can ascend a dime a dozen receiver into a tier or two above their actual ability so that right there makes him as intriguing as other receivers in this class. My biggest concern here is the competition he has for targets on his team. Hilton seems like the #1 options there, Andre Johnson will be starting across from him this year, and then you have Donte Moncrief and the two tight ends in Allen and Fleener. Everyone outside of AJ is pretty young still as well. And Dorsett is supposed to be similar to Hilton, a smaller WR who uses speed to burn you. I know Hilton is due for a new contract soon, if he was allowed to walk then Dorsett's value would skyrocket but if he re-signs and Dorsett continues to fight for snaps and targets then he may end up being a player that's pretty frustrating to own and may have more value to the colts than to your FF team as an important role player.

Interesting topic.

Haven't had the pleasure of participating in a rookie or dynasty startup draft yet this season but I can see why he'd fall to that range. I agree with Xue that he's not a "special" talent to me, but a solid prospect with a nice skill set nonetheless. But EBF is right, an elite QB can ascend a dime a dozen receiver into a tier or two above their actual ability so that right there makes him as intriguing as other receivers in this class. My biggest concern here is the competition he has for targets on his team. Hilton seems like the #1 options there, Andre Johnson will be starting across from him this year, and then you have Donte Moncrief and the two tight ends in Allen and Fleener. Everyone outside of AJ is pretty young still as well. And Dorsett is supposed to be similar to Hilton, a smaller WR who uses speed to burn you. I know Hilton is due for a new contract soon, if he was allowed to walk then Dorsett's value would skyrocket but if he re-signs and Dorsett continues to fight for snaps and targets then he may end up being a player that's pretty frustrating to own and may have more value to the colts than to your FF team as an important role player.
As a Titans fan, Indy's offense scares me. a top 3 QB with 2 legit deep threats, 2 darn good TEs, an elderly WR who has something to prove, some depth, and Gore. :eek:

LOL
I guess people didn't watch the Senior Bowl practices. LOL. Too caught up on measurables.

For a guy with 4.27 speed, Dorsett has exactly ZERO TDs on 50 career college Kick/Punt returns. That's absolutely horrible. Hilton is much more dynamic and more elusive with and without the ball. If Dorsett wound up on the Steelers, I guess people would say he's better than Antonio Brown. LOL.

For a guy with 4.27 speed, Dorsett has exactly ZERO TDs on 50 career college Kick/Punt returns. That's absolutely horrible. Hilton is much more dynamic and more elusive with and without the ball. If Dorsett wound up on the Steelers, I guess people would say he's better than Antonio Brown. LOL.
Now that's an interesting stat.

Torry Holt- 6' 200

Isaac Bruce- 6' 188

TY Hilton- 5'9" 178

And I think it's fair to point out that your comparison shows receivers that are 3 and 2 inches taller, respectively. That's a fairly decent difference considering we are talking about the success of small receivers.

LOL
I guess people didn't watch the Senior Bowl practices. LOL. Too caught up on measurables.
Wait. You're judging him based on senior bowl practices? Did Grigson skip senior bowl week too? LOL

Torry Holt- 6' 200

Isaac Bruce- 6' 188

TY Hilton- 5'9" 178

And I think it's fair to point out that your comparison shows receivers that are 3 and 2 inches taller, respectively. That's a fairly decent difference considering we are talking about the success of small receivers.
You think Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce were beating defenders with their height?

I can't think of a team with an elite qb that let their wr1 walk.
The Chargers let Vincent Jackson walk when they had Rivers, which made Malcom Floyd the incumbent #1 WR. Of course, A.J. Smith was a moron.

Luck has outstanding chemistry with Luck
I would hope so. ;)
It tends to lead to happier life knowing and liking yourself.

I am a but surprised by how low some are getting Dorsett. For example in TheBottomLines league that he linked Dorsett was drafted after Sammie Coates, RB David Johnson, RB David Cobb, LB Jake Ryan (who I do not even know who this guy is).

All of these players were drafted significantly later in the draft and did not get matched up with Andrew Luck.

It is truly baffling. But hey these inefficiencies are where you can get ahead of the other teams.

Luck has outstanding chemistry with Luck
I would hope so. ;)
It tends to lead to happier life knowing and liking yourself.

I am a but surprised by how low some are getting Dorsett. For example in TheBottomLines league that he linked Dorsett was drafted after Sammie Coates, RB David Johnson, RB David Cobb, LB Jake Ryan (who I do not even know who this guy is).

All of these players were drafted significantly later in the draft and did not get matched up with Andrew Luck.

It is truly baffling. But hey these inefficiencies are where you can get ahead of the other teams.
Probably have to look at scoring in that league for LBers. They must be worth a crap-ton.

LOL
Your arrogance is what people lol at. I'm sure Pagano and the gang watched everything.

Users who are viewing this thread