What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Child Behaviour Problems - When ADHD Doesnt Fit (1 Viewer)

The Duff Man

Footballguy
As my contribution to new thread week I want to share the story of my 10 year old daughter...who I was told has ADHD but doesnt.

From the instant she was born, she has been hyperactive. As she was put in my arms her eyes were looking wildly around. She would not sleep as a baby. Walks in the stroller, rides in the car, nothing worked.

Self regulation and restraint were always an issue. At age 7 we held a party for my 5 year old. With fifteen 5 year old kids there...she was the worst behaved.

We took her for testing at age 7 and they told us she didnt quite have ADHD. The entire process was BS, when I questioned the process they told me they dont normal test kids her age. Of course....this is after they took my money.

Unsatisfied I went for another opinion. Within 30 min this woman tells us that my daughter has ADHD without a doubt. Not exactly what I was looking for....I just wanted a proper assessment.

With no other solutions and social problems at school looming due to hyperactivity, we reluctantly put her on Concerta. There was some improvement but it still did not seem like a fit.

By luck, my wife came across information about hearing therapy called Tomatis. Everything we read made sense with what we have observed for 10 years, in a way the ADHD symptoms never did.

Basically, you hear things two ways, through your ear and through bone conductivity behind your ear. This is why your voice sounds different to you than others....the bone conductivity acts different when it is your own vocal vibrations.

After testing we were shown my daughters bone conductivity is through the roof. In most people it is balanced. This means that her brain would constantly be getting signals to be on alert from low frequency and background noise that she is picking up that most people dont.

Through lengthy therapy this summer, she retrained her brain to "listen" more to the signals from her ear (and by extension downplay those from the bone conductivity).

She is off the medicine and is a new kid, to the extent that everyone who knows her has noticed.

There is so much going on in the brain that we dont understand. It is unfortunate that people rush to judgements based on the little that we do know, and some kids get mis-diagnosed. I am hoping this information finds its way into the hands of someone else who's child will also benefit.

Note: I am not bashing ADHD at all! The main reason I was open to using medication was the thread on here where people shared their success stories. It just wasnt the right diagnosis for my daughter.

Just a crazy thought but did you ever try to cover her ears with noise cancelling headphones with one direction which is to not talk to see what kind behavior she exhibits? It kind of goes with what has been done but eliminating noise as a variable and slowly introducing it back into her life might make her notice "good" noise versus "bad" noise.

interesting stuff. i work in the field and will be one of the first to say that ADHD is way over-diagnosed, and because of this people/kids who actually have ADHD are often overlooked. it is kind of crazy the route this diagnosis has gone compared to other Axis I diagnosis. you can go to most urban schools and the student population (if all were tested) would be ADD/ADHD, along with ODD. it's crazy, but glad to hear you found something that worked for your daughter

Users who are viewing this thread