I'm not even going to attempt to predict the lineup going into next season.
Evan Grant tried to do it.
Jamey kind of tried to do it.
It's impossible to do right now. That said, these are just my random thoughts going into the season.
1. To Josh Or Not To Josh - The biggest question of the offseason for Texas will be if they resign Hamilton, and if so, how much. I don't see any "hometown discount" as Josh wants big money to give away to charity. While the buzz seems to be around Milwaukee and San Fran, I have a sneaky feeling Josh stays in Texas. I think the money on the free agent market won't be as big as he thinks, no one will want to invest in his strange issues, and Texas comes back with the best offer, as they feel like they know him best. Either way, I just hope it gets done quickly, so the team can either move on with or without him.
2. 145 Games - The OSB admits he ran his horses into the ground last season. Guys all over the diamond set personal highs for games played. Kinsler, Andrus, Beltre, Cruz and Young all played over 156 games last season. Murphy and Hamilton over 146. That is too much baseball, especially after two deep playoff runs the years prior. I would hope to see no one over 145 games played in 2013. Save something for the stretch run. You have a talented roster 1 through 25. Use them.
3. Time for Profar? - Not sure Profar has anything left to prove in the minor leagues. I would personally love to see an infield where he mans second base, Andrus at short, Beltre at third and Olt at first. That would push Kinsler, who I still think is underrated with his range, to play the outfield or move to the Mike Young role of Super Sub. Kinsler has said he would move, but would his bat work in the OF, and could he play Center?
4. Young into the Sunset - Young was not good at baseball in 2012. Not good at all. And still Wash hit him second or fifth in the lineup. That can not happen next year. Let him spell whoever is playing second base, let him play some first or third against KC or Cleveland, but he needs to be in less than 100 games next year. Take the money and run, and be back to retire his number in the future. Great player in his day, better person, but the time to move on is now. (Unless he has a Jeter like resurgence, then I will delete this whole part here.)
5. Is Harrison your number 2 or 3? - I think Zack Greinke is a Texas Ranger this season. And you go into battle with Darvish, Greinke, Harrison and Holland and you feel pretty good. Lewis comes back midseason to bolster the lineup. Feliz or Ogando as your fifth starter maybe?
Going to be a fun offseason. I can't wait for pitchers and catchers.
Edited by Bogart, 22 March 2013 - 04:37 PM.