What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Texas Rangers 2013 Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Texas meets with AJ

It's officially 1:55am at the bar and we are sweet talking the obnoxious fat girl in the corner.
correction: the currently not-fat girl who will get fat very soon (and is a bit psycho in the meantime)
Yeah, she did Jenny Craig last year and dropped a few lbs, but she has always been pudgy and is now way hot enough to deal with her psycho #####y ways.
Well, the bar (catching market)was pretty spare to start with. I mean there was your ex chubby kinda cute chick you had some great times with and some nice enough not that cute girl some guy fell all in live with. Pretty much everything else is some version of :bag: You did keep stringing along your desparation girl, so you won't be totally empty handed.

AJ to Texas sounds like has been done. No terms yet, but hearing that it's a one year deal.
Ugh. I kind of liked the Rangers too. Oh well. Have fun rooting for that.
don't care if the guy is a tool, as long as he is prodctive as player i will cheer for him. if he can't control the toolishness on the field costs the team runs etc. then that's a different story.

One year, $7.5 million for AJ. Love that contract much more than the 2 for 17 that Martin got.

Buddy ran out the Mavs comparision of Texas "keeping their powder dry" for next year. If you don't like what is out there, you don't like it. I can get behind that, but it's going to be very interesting how they try and sell this team to the casual fan this season.

cooling on Bourn. would rather go after Arizona's Gerardo Parra.
no way the Rangers or most teams sign Bourn and lose the first round draft pick plus dollars associated with itAnd I doubt the DBacks would trade Parra - he will likely platoon with Cody RossBUT clearly Arizona wants to move an OF and likely one to go now is Jason Kubel

Wow. We have some left handed hitters.

Kinsler 4

Elvis 6

Berkman DH

Beltre 5

Pierzynski 2

Cruz 9

Murphy 7

Moreland 3

Gentry/Martin 8

Wow. We have some left handed hitters. Kinsler 4Elvis 6Berkman DHBeltre 5Pierzynski 2Cruz 9Murphy 7Moreland 3Gentry/Martin 8
That lineup is not horrible. I still see Profar breaking ST with the club, but could rotate with Kinsler/Moreland/Berkman in some sort of 1B/2B/DH combo. Give Elvis day off at SS.

Wow. We have some left handed hitters. Kinsler 4Elvis 6Berkman DHBeltre 5Pierzynski 2Cruz 9Murphy 7Moreland 3Gentry/Martin 8
That lineup is not horrible. I still see Profar breaking ST with the club, but could rotate with Kinsler/Moreland/Berkman in some sort of 1B/2B/DH combo. Give Elvis day off at SS.
Ya, I just don't think it makes sense to have Profar with the club when the season starts unless they trade Elvis or Ian. You don't just extend Kinsler to the tune of 5/$75 and then turn him into super utility infielder. You don't call up Profar to do it either.

does Profar have a super-2 timing issue? from my quick search, it doesn't appear to be a problem to have him make the club out of ST.

does Profar have a super-2 timing issue? from my quick search, it doesn't appear to be a problem to have him make the club out of ST.
It's the same as for every other rookie. Profar's September callup doesn't change much. The Rangers have to avoid him being in the top 22% of qualifying players. The new CBA moved the threshold 5% in the favor of the players. The safest way is to leave him in the minors through mid-June (or thereabouts). He's only 19 and the Rangers don't really have a hole for him to fill. I don't see much reason to bring him up early unless there's an injury to somebody else.

Local reports state Profar will start season in AAA.

Kinsler at 2nd, Moreland at 1st to start season.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Captain Hook said:
'coolnerd said:
'Bogart said:
Local reports state Profar will start season in AAA.Kinsler at 2nd, Moreland at 1st to start season.
so is Olt starting on the farm also? :yes:
Yup they want them both to play every day until they need to call them up
I think Olt could be your RH platoon for both Moreland and Murphy when the matchup calls for it. You have the righty/lefty platoon at Catcher and CF, Olt could be useful to help the other two positions that need it.Lineup discussed on radio this morning:Kinsler - RElvis - RMurphy - LBeltre - RBerkman - S (but really L)Cruz - RSoto/AJ - R/LGentry/Martin - R/LMoreland - LBreaks up the right-handed bats as much as possible, but you are really counting on Murphy to continue his improvement at the plate and that bottom third is less than frightening.

'Bogart said:
'Captain Hook said:
'coolnerd said:
'Bogart said:
Local reports state Profar will start season in AAA.Kinsler at 2nd, Moreland at 1st to start season.
I think Olt could be your RH platoon for both Moreland and Murphy when the matchup calls for it. You have the righty/lefty platoon at Catcher and CF, Olt could be useful to help the other two positions that need it.Lineup discussed on radio this morning:Kinsler - RElvis - RMurphy - LBeltre - RBerkman - S (but really L)Cruz - RSoto/AJ - R/LGentry/Martin - R/LMoreland - LBreaks up the right-handed bats as much as possible, but you are really counting on Murphy to continue his improvement at the plate and that bottom third is less than frightening.
Everything I have seen suggests that Berkman will hit 4thand there is no reason that Murphy should be in the top half of the order

'Bogart said:
'Captain Hook said:
'coolnerd said:
'Bogart said:
Everything I have seen suggests that Berkman will hit 4thand there is no reason that Murphy should be in the top half of the order
Berkman will most likely bat 3rd. Murphy led the team in OBP last year. I could live with him batting 1 or 2 if he can continue those numbers. I'm sure he'll bat 6-7 though.

'Bogart said:
'Captain Hook said:
'coolnerd said:
'Bogart said:
Berkman will most likely bat 3rd. Murphy led the team in OBP last year. I could live with him batting 1 or 2 if he can continue those numbers. I'm sure he'll bat 6-7 though.
Murph can hit wherever he wants against righties. He should hit the bench against lefties though.

Murph can hit wherever he wants against righties. He should hit the bench against lefties though.
If he falls back to his career averages vs lefties I would agree. Last year he out hit everyone in the team vs lefties except Cruz and Kinsler with 347/405/440 triple slash. I'd give him a shot to hit lefties and see if he made an adjustment last year that is working.

Anthony Andro tweet @aandro: Ron Washington 1-5 on Jan. 10 ... Kinsler, Andrus, Berkman, Beltre, Cruz.

If he falls back to his career averages vs lefties I would agree. Last year he out hit everyone in the team vs lefties except Cruz and Kinsler with 347/405/440 triple slash. I'd give him a shot to hit lefties and see if he made an adjustment last year that is working.
His BaBIP last year was over .400 against lefties. If you aren't familiar with that statistic the league average is around .290, Murphy's career number is .317. Last year against lefties his was .433. In other words, he ran super super super super super good to hit the way he hit. The odds of him doing that again are astronomical.Although in less than 100 AB's I suppose anything is possible.

'ZBTHorton said:
His BaBIP last year was over .400 against lefties. If you aren't familiar with that statistic the league average is around .290, Murphy's career number is .317. Last year against lefties his was .433. In other words, he ran super super super super super good to hit the way he hit. The odds of him doing that again are astronomical.Although in less than 100 AB's I suppose anything is possible.
That's a good point. I didn't look at his babip splits. I agree that will most likely come down, how far it does I don't know. Will probably get a shot at playing everyday until it does come back to earth though.

Rangers extend Harrison 5 years $55 million with a 6th year option. Very nice. Saw a tweet rangers have 4 members of 2013 rotation all under age of 29 and under control for 4-6 years. I really like this move.

This team is going to have zero bench again this year. Which means 150+ games for all the starters. Beginning to wonder if management got just a little too cute this off-season.

This team is going to have zero bench again this year. Which means 150+ games for all the starters. Beginning to wonder if management got just a little too cute this off-season.
Not sure why you think there will be "zero" bench - and two replacements named Olt and Profar are just a phone call away if/when they need them

'Captain Hook said:
Not sure why you think there will be "zero" bench - and two replacements named Olt and Profar are just a phone call away if/when they need them
Olt and Profar won't start the season on the bench with the big club. They need to play everyday, and the only way that happens is in AAA. That leaves the bench pretty much as empty as last year. Maybe I am wrong, Jamey talks about it as well.

This lineup looks vastly different without Cruz in it. My guess is you let Olt come up and play the corner. (If Cruz gets a 50 game suspension.)

This lineup looks vastly different without Cruz in it. My guess is you let Olt come up and play the corner. (If Cruz gets a 50 game suspension.)
Unlikely that Cruz is suspended BUT if he is then it would make more sense to have Moreland in RF and Olt at 1B

'Captain Hook said:
'Bogart said:
Unlikely that Cruz is suspended BUT if he is then it would make more sense to have Moreland in RF and Olt at 1B
You are correct. I'm not thinking clearly today. I'm ready for this offseason to be over. 14 sleeps.

'Captain Hook said:
'Bogart said:
MLB is not going to suspend all those guys on someone's rolodex.

'Captain Hook said:
'Bogart said:
MLB is not going to suspend all those guys on someone's rolodex.
1) They don't have to - Colon, Melky, and Grandal have already been suspended in the last year2) It is not names on the rolodex, it supposedly is detailed notes of when they bought, paid for, had shipped and what it was from this doctor's office

Olt and Profar won't start the season on the bench with the big club. They need to play everyday, and the only way that happens is in AAA. That leaves the bench pretty much as empty as last year. Maybe I am wrong, Jamey talks about it as well.
OK, after drinking all weekend and thinking about this, I think Olt and Profar both break with the big club. Wash finds a way to get them into the lineup every third day and gives his regulars plenty of rest.

I don't think anyone in the organization thinks Profar or Olt playing two days a week is the right thing to do or going to happen.and where would Profar play twice a week when DH is not an option? They are not going to have him go back and forth between SS and 2B and not going to bench Andrus or Kinsler two days a week.While they will both get a lot of spring training AB because of WBC but I still think they both start in AAA .............Unless Cruz is actually suspended which I doubt ....

Users who are viewing this thread