What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Schaub (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

el-gato-grande

Footballguy
I thought Vick's pass placement was average at best in the pre-season game against the Colts. He threw the ball high or behind his receivers most of the time putting them in position to take unnecessary punishment. He was obviously fleet of foot (Vick always is), but I was NOT impressed with his arm tonight. You'd expect more given his game experience.This left me wondering about Matt Schaub and how long before the Falcons realize who the better quarterback is (not the better athlete). Schaub, in comparison, showed great field vision and touch in the series where he threw the TD pass to Finneran. I TIVO'd and haven't watched the entire game yet. But, according to NFL.com, the final game stat comparison:Vick: 4/7, 51 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT, 1 Ru Att/10 ydsSchaub: 11/13, 115 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT, 3 Ru Att/8 ydsI believe Schaub will replace Vick by next season as the Falcon QB. It may not happen this year because they will either have to trade Vick or move him to WR to protect their investment. A trade is the more likely scenario.

I'm assuming this is :fishing: It's preseason. Maybe the Colts should bench Manning based on that INT he threw. Sorgi looked decent.Vick has the X-factor. Schaub doesn't. Opposing teams gameplan around Vick.Every NFL team needs a good backup in case their starter goes down. Schaub won't be replacing Vick in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming this is :fishing:

It's preseason. Maybe the Colts should bench Manning based on that INT he threw. Sorgi looked decent.

Vick has the X-factor. Schaub doesn't. Every NFL team needs a good backup in case their starter goes down. Schaub won't be replacing Vick in the near future.
No, it isn't and Mike Vick sure as heck isn't Peyton Manning. I honestly believe that Atlanta would have a more effective and balanced offense with Schaub at QB. This team has a good offensive line and skilled RB's. I think the Falcon's could use a little less "X-Factor" and few more tight spirals.If the Falcon's keep Schaub at backup, then Golic's on air comment is right on -- they will lose him eventually to Free Agency and will regret it.

Golic is far from the first to say this. Schaub will not replace Vick (MV is the franchise and despite his limitations he wins games) but Schaub will be a hot commodity when his contract expires. Plus, I can't see him being content to back up Vick his entire career. He will get his shot as a starter in a few years, and I think he will succeed.

I'm assuming this is  :fishing:

It's preseason.  Maybe the Colts should bench Manning based on that INT he threw.  Sorgi looked decent.

Vick has the X-factor.  Schaub doesn't.  Every NFL team needs a good backup in case their starter goes down.  Schaub won't be replacing Vick in the near future.
No, it isn't and Mike Vick sure as heck isn't Peyton Manning. I honestly believe that Atlanta would have a more effective and balanced offense with Schaub at QB. This team has a good offensive line and skilled RB's. I think the Falcon's could use a little less "X-Factor" and few more tight spirals.If the Falcon's keep Schaub at backup, then Golic's on air comment is right on -- they will lose him eventually to Free Agency and will regret it.
Dude, have you seen Vick's spirals? He throws a tighter spiral than any I have seen in a long time. It's never been his spirals that have been the problem. It has been his ability to read a defense.

It's preseason. Maybe the Colts should bench Manning based on that INT he threw. Sorgi looked decent.

Vick has the X-factor. Schaub doesn't. Every NFL team needs a good backup in case their starter goes down. Schaub won't be replacing Vick in the near future.
Dude, have you seen Vick's spirals? He throws a tighter spiral than any I have seen in a long time. It's never been his spirals that have been the problem. It has been his ability to read a defense.
OK, you're right - tight spirals in the right spot to the guys wearing the same jerseys would be a plus. :thumbup:

I thought Vick's pass placement was average at best in the pre-season game against the Colts. He threw the ball high or behind his receivers most of the time putting them in position to take unnecessary punishment. He was obviously fleet of foot (Vick always is), but I was NOT impressed with his arm tonight. You'd expect more given his game experience.

This left me wondering about Matt Schaub and how long before the Falcons realize who the better quarterback is (not the better athlete). Schaub, in comparison, showed great field vision and touch in the series where he threw the TD pass to Finneran. I TIVO'd and haven't watched the entire game yet. But, according to NFL.com, the final game stat comparison:

Vick: 4/7, 51 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT, 1 Ru Att/10 yds

Schaub: 11/13, 115 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT, 3 Ru Att/8 yds

I believe Schaub will replace Vick by next season as the Falcon QB. It may not happen this year because they will either have to trade Vick or move him to WR to protect their investment. A trade is the more likely scenario.
Hi El,To answer your question - Never, as long as Jim Mora is the coach.

J

OK, you're right - tight spirals in the right spot to the guys wearing the same jerseys would be a plus. :thumbup:
Vick has thrown just 2.7% of his career passes for interceptions. There are 15 other QBs in NFL history with between 905 and 1005 passes (Vick has 955 attempts). They range from having thrown 32 to 72 interceptions. Vick has the least, with just 26.

We had this discussion last year when people were trying to hype up Vick. If you watch him play and be honest with yourself he's not a quarterback. He can't hit an open receiver to save his life because he's always looking to tuck and run. I tried to ask this question last year and was told I was crazy that Vick would ever be benched. He's a hype machine and people want to see him run around which he does better than anyone. I just don't think he'll ever win anything considering he can't throw the ball. It's amazing how you hear how great he is then watch him and he misses receiver after receiver. Everything gets put on Peerless Price, but no one else has been able to do anything with Vick at the helm either. He does have the X-factor, but unless he can score 5 times a game by himself they won't ever get to a Super Bowl.

I'm assuming this is  :fishing:

It's preseason.  Maybe the Colts should bench Manning based on that INT he threw.  Sorgi looked decent.

Vick has the X-factor.  Schaub doesn't.  Every NFL team needs a good backup in case their starter goes down.  Schaub won't be replacing Vick in the near future.
Vick has thrown just 2.7% of his career passes for interceptions. There are 15 other QBs in NFL history with between 905 and 1005 passes (Vick has 955 attempts). They range from having thrown 32 to 72 interceptions. Vick has the least, with just 26.
He's only thrown 26 because he throws it so hard and so off target that it's not near ANYONE. He's not the worst QB in the league, but he wasn't a Pro Bowl QB by any means. I don't have the stats in front of me, but his were waaaaay behind several guys that deserved to go more than him. Like I said, he's not the worst by far, but he's not the greatest player in the NFL as the media tries to make him out to be.

I thought Vick's pass placement was average at best in the pre-season game against the Colts. He threw the ball high or behind his receivers most of the time putting them in position to take unnecessary punishment. He was obviously fleet of foot (Vick always is), but I was NOT impressed with his arm tonight. You'd expect more given his game experience.

This left me wondering about Matt Schaub and how long before the Falcons realize who the better quarterback is (not the better athlete). Schaub, in comparison, showed great field vision and touch in the series where he threw the TD pass to Finneran. I TIVO'd and haven't watched the entire game yet. But, according to NFL.com, the final game stat comparison:

I believe Schaub will replace Vick by next season as the Falcon QB. It may not happen this year because they will either have to trade Vick or move him to WR to protect their investment. A trade is the more likely scenario.

J
You're probably right Joe and I heard his half time comments. Regardless, I'm keeping an eye on Schaub this year because if Vick get's hurt, then I think the situation in Atlanta could get very interesting.

I thought Vick's pass placement was average at best in the pre-season game against the Colts.  He threw the ball high or behind his receivers most of the time putting them in position to take unnecessary punishment.  He was obviously fleet of foot (Vick always is), but I was NOT impressed with his arm tonight.  You'd expect more given his game experience.

This left me wondering about Matt Schaub and how long before the Falcons realize who the better quarterback is (not the better athlete).  Schaub, in comparison, showed great field vision and touch in the series where he threw the TD pass to Finneran.  I TIVO'd and haven't watched the entire game yet.  But, according to NFL.com, the final game stat comparison:

I believe Schaub will replace Vick by next season as the Falcon QB.  It may not happen this year because they will either have to trade Vick or move him to WR to protect their investment.  A trade is the more likely scenario.

J
You're probably right Joe and I heard his half time comments. Regardless, I'm keeping an eye on Schaub this year because if Vick get's hurt, then I think the situation in Atlanta could get very interesting.
Definitely El. I like Schaub too. J

We had this discussion last year when people were trying to hype up Vick. If you watch him play and be honest with yourself he's not a quarterback.
maybe not the kind of QB you're use to seeing or want to see, but he's definitely a QB, and a good one for the amount of competitive experience has had at the position.

Matt Schaub in a week 16 loss to the Saints:17/41 188 yards 2 INTsNo, he won't replace Vick next year.

He's definitely got the tools to be the best quarterback ever. He's got a cannon for an arm and runs a 4.2. I'd still take Joe Montana with his 4 day 40 over Vick though. The best quote I've ever heard about the quarterback position came from LSU's Matt Mauck before the national championship game in 2003. He said, "I know I'm not the most athletic guy on the team. I can't run a 4.3 forty or anything, but that's not my job. My job is to get the ball to the guys that run the 4.3 forty's and let them do what they do,". That's what a quarterback is in my opinion. A field general that gets the ball to his playmakers.

The best quote I've ever heard about the quarterback position came from LSU's Matt Mauck before the national championship game in 2003. He said, "I know I'm not the most athletic guy on the team. I can't run a 4.3 forty or anything, but that's not my job. My job is to get the ball to the guys that run the 4.3 forty's and let them do what they do,". That's what a quarterback is in my opinion. A field general that gets the ball to his playmakers.
and to win. Vick wins.

The best quote I've ever heard about the quarterback position came from LSU's Matt Mauck before the national championship game in 2003. He said, "I know I'm not the most athletic guy on the team. I can't run a 4.3 forty or anything, but that's not my job. My job is to get the ball to the guys that run the 4.3 forty's and let them do what they do,". That's what a quarterback is in my opinion. A field general that gets the ball to his playmakers.
and to win. Vick wins.
Do you honestly believe he will ever win a Super Bowl without the Falcons bringing in a ton more talent around him? How long do you think he will run that 4.2? How long do you think he can continue to take punishment, flipping over defenders? His window isn't very big because of the style of player he is. I know he was a game away from the Super Bowl last year, but no way would they have beaten the Patriots. How long before everyone starts doing what the Bucs do to him scheme wise to start shutting his runs down? I just don't see what the hype is about.

To answer your question - Never, as long as Blank is the owner.
Vick has one of the highest ### to seat ratios in the NFL. That franchise was a complete dog before Blank began to put his thumb print on it, which includes the presence and marketing of Vick. It is a business and is about money. Business is booming with #7 at QB. More importantly, the team is winning with #7 at QB. It is pretty safe to say Blank is not going to tinker with the formula regardless of how good the second string kid looks against guys playing to make a team or save their jobs in preseason.

Vick wins. The only people that carp about Vick are uneducated outsiders who don't understand the difference he makes. Any NFL team that doesn't already have McNabb, Culpepper, Manning, Favre or Brady at the helm would love to have Vick instead of their current guy--or they should, anyway.

Vick is 25 years old. He is not the brightest qb to ever come down the pike, but he is easily the best runner. It's way too soon to give up on Vick. His learning curve (reading defenses, knowing plays, making checkoffs) is slow.If he does not improve, ATL won't get to the Superbowl. But if he makes gradual improvement over the next 3 or 4 years, he could be deadly by age 30, which is young for a qb.

and to win. Vick wins.
Do you honestly believe he will ever win a Super Bowl without the Falcons bringing in a ton more talent around him? How long do you think he will run that 4.2? How long do you think he can continue to take punishment, flipping over defenders? His window isn't very big because of the style of player he is. I know he was a game away from the Super Bowl last year, but no way would they have beaten the Patriots. How long before everyone starts doing what the Bucs do to him scheme wise to start shutting his runs down? I just don't see what the hype is about.
Vick isn't a perfect QB, but who is?Your Tampa comment can be used for any QB and the team that happens to shut him down:

How long before everyone starts doing what the Patriots do to Peyton Manning scheme wise to start shutting him down? I just don't see what the hype is about.

I will agree that Vick won't be able to play as he is for his entire career if he is to be succesful, but he should learn to pass when the Falcons get a WR - or Jenkins and/or White pan out.

Seriously, if you don't understand the hype, we're watching different games with different ideas of what makes a sport fun. Vick is the most exciting player in the NFL, and WINS which doesn't mean he's the best QB in the NFL, but it does mean he isn't getting benched.

WINS which doesn't mean he's the best QB in the NFL, but it does mean he isn't getting benched.
I agree, I don't think he'll be benched ever. I think his career will end on an injury. He's going to run 1 too many times and someone's going to catch him just right unfortunately.

Rohan Davey looked pretty good in the European League last year and I would think that the Patriots had to be thinking about benching Brady as a result

Vick wins. The only people that carp about Vick are uneducated outsiders who don't understand the difference he makes.
:lmao: at not being able to carp about Vick's struggles.J
It's one thing to point out the areas in any player's game which could be improved. It's another for the uninformed masses to drone on about he isn't any good because he doesn't play the position the way Johnny Unitas did.

I seriously hope this is a joke. Same bs was said last year when he threw like 6 tds and 0 picks in the preseason. This will NEVER happen. I would like to petition FBG to ban those that actually believe it. We are all now dumber for having read this.

That and his inability to throw a touch pass. Vick has a cannon arm.

Schaub looked real good when I saw him last year in preseason too, which led me to stash him on a dynasty roster. Maybe his regular season performance will improve someday where he'll be worth something. :D

First of all, I do not think that Vick can be replaced in Atlanta. He brings money to the franchise and he's being paid mad jack in return. What he is is an incredibly dynamic football player who, to this point in his career, wins games. His winning seems to be the biggest argument for him keeping his job, but what happens if the Falcons start to suck again? What happens when the fans stop coming and Vick still can't hit a receiver in stride?

Rohan Davey looked pretty good in the European League last year and I would think that the Patriots had to be thinking about benching Brady as a result
Rohan Davey won the NFLE MVPBrady should just step down now. Who cares about SB MVPs anyways :D

Well, I'm sorry, but I have to agree with the Big Cat.Why do you folks think that Holmes plays RB instead of QB? I would think most here would agree that Holmes is a better athlete than T Green. Shouldn't Holmes play QB for KC?Why do you folks think that Moss plays WR instead of QB? I would think that most here would agree than Moss is a better athlete than Collins. Shouldn't Moss play QB for OAK?I would especially like the flippantly dismissive posters in this thread to answer those to questions above, since they seem to think the idea of putting Schaub at QB instead of Vick could only be dreamed up by someone with a single digit IQ.The problem with being QB is that he is tied to the C - being extremely close to the LoS and in the middle of the play every play. The QB helps his team by distributing the ball to better athletes who are in a superior position to make a better play than the QB is at the start of a play.So why wouldn't ATL do the same thing with Vick? Why? Because Vick wants to play QB, period. I think that actually mitigates his effectivenes as a playmaker, not to mention exposing his wildly erractic arm & poor decision making in the pocket.So why not think outside the box if you are ATL? Why not put Vick in a superior position on the field to make plays? In fact, why not put him in a position where on any given play he could run the ball - but be able to modify his position before the play starts - go out for a pass, or throw the ball from as a pass option after receiving the ball from the QB?There used to be an offense that did just this with a player - and used that player to run, pass, or receive as well as being able to get him in motion or off the LoS before the play started, increasing his effectiveness while presenting him with many more variables, making the guy that much harder to defend.Why not - don't laugh, remember, we're thinking outside the box here - why not put him as the wing in a single wing formation? Talk about maximizing pressure on the D while allowing Vick to access his strength - his legs - while minimizing his weakness - pocket passing, and still allowing him to throw the ball when running the pass option. Kind of radical, I know, but it also gets Schaub on the field at the same time as the QB, which I think really puts tremendous pressure on the D.Thoughts?

Schaub starting? Get rid of Vick? You people make me laugh.Look, there are a ton of QBs out there who started the first 4 years of their career never throwing 57% comp% for a season. Two of the most prominant names on such a list includeSteve Young (53.7% max in first 4 years)John Elway (56.3% max in first 4 years)Now, Vick's got a long way before he can get legitimately mentioned in this company. But, again, look back to Elway and Young in their first 4 years, and no one was reserving room in Canton for these guys, either. Simply put, it's way, way, way too early to begin even talking about the Matt Schaub era in Atlanta. Not only will this not happen due to financial/practical/pubrelations reasons, but Vick's well within the normal range to still elevate his career--to even HOF status.

Schaub starting?  Get rid of Vick?  You people make me laugh.Look, there are a ton of QBs out there who started the first 4 years of their career never throwing 57% comp% for a season.  Two of the most prominant names on such a list includeSteve Young (53.7% max in first 4 years)John Elway (56.3% max in first 4 years)
Really? Elway in his entire career had exactly 1 year where he had a 50% or worse completion rate. Young never had 1 in his entire career. Montana never had 1 year in his entire career at or below 50% comp. Aikman never had 1 his whole career. Favre never had 1, unless you want to count his 5 att. 1st year. Manning never has had 1. Brady never has had 1, unless you count his 3 att. 1st year.Vick has had 2 already in his 4 years in the league.That's significant, whether you want to admit it or not. Accuracy counts for QBs. It counts a lot.

Schaub starting? Get rid of Vick? You people make me laugh.

Look, there are a ton of QBs out there who started the first 4 years of their career never throwing 57% comp% for a season. Two of the most prominant names on such a list include

Steve Young (53.7% max in first 4 years)

John Elway (56.3% max in first 4 years)
Really? Elway in his entire career had exactly 1 year where he had a 50% or worse completion rate. Young never had 1 in his entire career.Vick has had 2 already in his 4 years in the league.

That's significant, whether you want to admit it or not.
What's significant is that you'll find a gazillion QBs (count em up, it's really a little over a gazillion) who've had a poor first 4 years with accuracy. This is nothing new.Compare the first four years of those three that were mentioned earlier, and Vick's right in the middle:

Player Att Comp Comp%

ElwayJohn 1748 944 0.540

VickMichael 955 512 0.536

YoungSteve 671 358 0.533

That's whether you want to admit it or not, I guess.

Schaub starting?  Get rid of Vick?  You people make me laugh.

Look, there are a ton of QBs out there who started the first 4 years of their career never throwing 57% comp% for a season.  Two of the most prominant names on such a list include

Really? Elway in his entire career had exactly 1 year where he had a 50% or worse completion rate. Young never had 1 in his entire career.Vick has had 2 already in his 4 years in the league.

What's significant is that you'll find a gazillion QBs (count em up, it's really a little over a gazillion) who've had a poor first 4 years with accuracy. This is nothing new.Compare the first four years of those three that were mentioned earlier, and Vick's right in the middle:

Player Att Comp Comp%

ElwayJohn 1748 944 0.540

YoungSteve 671 358 0.533

You missed the whole point didn't you? You might want to check my edited post.

Vick wins. The only people that carp about Vick are uneducated outsiders who don't understand the difference he makes.
:lmao: at not being able to carp about Vick's struggles.J
It's one thing to point out the areas in any player's game which could be improved. It's another for the uninformed masses to drone on about he isn't any good because he doesn't play the position the way Johnny Unitas did.
So, what makes you such an informed insider? Unless you have Atlanta Falcons printed on your paycheck, you're just as part of the "uninformed masses" as the rest of us. WTS, it doesn't take someone who is around the team everyday to observe where Vick is throwing the ball and to notice how inaccurate he is for a starting QB at the highest level. The guy is a VERY special athlete - but I agree with some of the others posting that some linebacker or strong safety is going to draw a bead on him and put him down eventually. Every one of the latest wave of mobile QB's have cut down on their out of pocket activities out of self preservation. Here are three examples:

Donovan McNabb - rushing totals

2002 464

2003 359

2004 221

Daunte Culpepper

2002 603

2003 422

2004 406

Steve McNair

2002 440

2003 138

2004 128

See a pattern? Defensive Lineman, linebackers, and strong safeties in today's game are bigger, stronger, and faster than ever before. If you venture out into the kill zone on a regular basis, they will hurt you. The difference between these QB's and Vick is they are better passers and could adapt to operating more in the pocket. Vick has shown no much ability to this point. They are also considerably bigger, which should tell you something if they decided to stay behind their lineman more.

Look, there are a ton of QBs out there who started the first 4 years of their career never throwing 57% comp% for a season. Two of the most prominant names on such a list include

Player Att Comp Comp%

ElwayJohn 1748 944 0.540

YoungSteve 671 358 0.533

You missed the whole point didn't you? You might want to check my edited post.
I missed your point, then. What is it?That Vick hasn't been accurate in his first four years?

That it's important for a QB to be accurate?

That Vick has been worse than the other two?

Well, on the first two points, I agree. Nothing missed there.

On the second point, I think it's arguable. I prefer to look at the overall mean when comparing data like this, as I think the variance says more than zero seasons vs. one season vs. two seasons of this or that %. Overall, Vick is right in the mix.

Maybe you're missing the point that it's probably too early to write off a career on the basis of one's first 4 years in the league. I'm not saying Vick WILL turn it around...I'm pointing out that, because there have been some 1st ballot HOFers who performed at Vick's level (arguably worse) in their first four years, it rejects the hypothesis that you can't be that bad and still turn in a great career--we've got two excellent examples of how that might be done.

Schaub is the new Matt Hasselbeck. Schaub can be Mr. August every year but he will never start in Atlanta unless Vick goes down just like Hasselbeck was never going to start in GB unless he was going to wait for Favre to retire. Schaub if he continues to look good will get a shot someday in Atlanta when Vick gets creamed or somewhere else when he is a FA or Atlanta decides to trade him.

Really? Elway in his entire career had exactly 1 year where he had a 50% or worse completion rate. Young never had 1 in his entire career. Montana never had 1 year in his entire career at or below 50% comp. Aikman never had 1 his whole career. Favre never had 1, unless you want to count his 5 att. 1st year. Manning never has had 1. Brady never has had 1, unless you count his 3 att. 1st year.Vick has had 2 already in his 4 years in the league.

That's significant, whether you want to admit it or not. Accuracy counts for QBs. It counts a lot.
It's obvious you're a Vick hater. Who would consider a season where he throws 100 passes to be statistically more relevant than his 955 pass attempt career?Neither Brady, nor Vick nor Aikman has ever thrown for less than 50% in a season where they had at least 115 passes.

yes, Vick = cash in Atlanta.

but Schaub = talent, which = a starting gig somewhere.. well.. eventually

I don't remember which game it was, but during one of the early regular season games last year, Vick was doing his typical overthrowing of his WR's, and boo's started in the crowd, and a few fans started to chant for Schaub. It must have got to him, b/c he actually started playing a little bit better after that happened.I'm sure we'll start to see an improvement in Vick's accuracy this year. He'll have to play better, b/c they face tougher teams and don't have the cupcake schedule they had last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread