What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"All The Right Moves" (1 Viewer)

Encyclopedia Brown

Footballguy
What was Craig T. Nelson thinking?

Just take the knee!!

Calling a running a play on your own 1 yard line in the pouring rain with your backup RB?

He deserved to have his house trashed.

Last edited by a moderator:
TannerBoyle said:
Pretty sure Tom Cruise adressed this in the movie.
What could he have addressed?It was his failure to heed Nelson's coaching--"play the ball, not the man"--and the subsequent PI penalty that led them into the predicament in the first place.

the field is muddy as #### (they fumbled the previous kickoff and fell on it) Assuming they even get a good return (say to the 15) that still leaves a 32 yard field goal in a downpour on a nearly unplayable field. I dont think too many HS kids from rural PA are making that one.

This of course is assuming that they even have time after the kneel down and subsequent punt return.

the field is muddy as #### (they fumbled the previous kickoff and fell on it) Assuming they even get a good return (say to the 15) that still leaves a 32 yard field goal in a downpour on a nearly unplayable field. I dont think too many HS kids from rural PA are making that one. This of course is assuming that they even have time after the kneel down and subsequent punt return.
Ever seen a good punt in those conditions?

the field is muddy as #### (they fumbled the previous kickoff and fell on it) Assuming they even get a good return (say to the 15) that still leaves a 32 yard field goal in a downpour on a nearly unplayable field. I dont think too many HS kids from rural PA are making that one. This of course is assuming that they even have time after the kneel down and subsequent punt return.
this might be the dumbest argument ever. However, i still think the odds are better than the odds of a bad punt, clean fielding of the ball, good return, time left, good snap, good hold and good FG kick.

this might be the dumbest argument ever. However, i still think the odds are better than the odds of a bad punt, clean fielding of the ball, good return, time left, good snap, good hold and good FG kick.
Only takes two plays: 1) bad punt, 2) FG. game over. Very few coaches would take a knee there.

Coach should have had 'Rifleman' just run a qb sneak. Take the snap and follow the center for a 1/2 yard or no gain. Salvucci was a back up RB forced into playing due to the starter being hurt earlier in the year. He had no business touching the ball that late. "6-2 stack monster!! 6-2 stack monster!!"

By the by......I love that song "Last Stand" that is playing as they drive to the Walnut Heights game.

Only takes two plays: 1) bad punt, 2) FG. game over. Very few coaches would take a knee there.
:lmao: :lmao: The game ENDED on the fumble. He could have taken the snap and run out of the back of the end zone and the game would have been over.

:lmao: :lmao: The game ENDED on the fumble. He could have taken the snap and run out of the back of the end zone and the game would have been over.
:no: I would think they'd still have to do the punt after the safety. But I'm not sure what the high school rules are in PA.

:no: I would think they'd still have to do the punt after the safety. But I'm not sure what the high school rules are in PA.
Not if time ran out. If not, it would only be a couple of seconds. have your punter kick it as high as he can about 20 yards. I would think that would be pretty easy to cover especially when you got Riley who was going to USC and Stefan who was another division 1 talent on your side. Throw in athletes like Rifleman and Shadow and that pesky Mouse and there is no way that the Walnut Heights RB breaks a punt return.

Not if time ran out. If not, it would only be a couple of seconds. have your punter kick it as high as he can about 20 yards. I would think that would be pretty easy to cover especially when you got Riley who was going to USC and Stefan who was another division 1 talent on your side. Throw in athletes like Rifleman and Shadow and that pesky Mouse and there is no way that the Walnut Heights RB breaks a punt return.
:goodposting: Especially since we've already established that the ball -- as well as the field -- are both slippery as hell. In order for the other team to win, the following things would have to happen:1. Cleanly field a freely-kicked punt in muddy/rainy conditions2. Assuming you don't score on the ensuing kick return (a safe assumption considering the muddy conditions), you'd have to get to AT LEAST the 23-yard line in less than 9 seconds.3. From there, you're looking at a 40-yard FG. Even in perfect weather conditions, that's a 50-50 proposition for a high school kicker. But with a slippery field and ball, you're looking at a one-in-a-million kick.Besides, even if you don't go the "intentional safety" route, the bottom line is that there were at least 4-5 plays that would have been a better choice than "handing off to your backup fullback".

Encyclopedia Brown said:
I re-watched the flick--and a year and a half later--Craig T. Nelson's bonehead move still grates on me.
What about the part where like 8 guys on one small town team get D-1 scholarships?

Encyclopedia Brown said:
I re-watched the flick--and a year and a half later--Craig T. Nelson's bonehead move still grates on me.
What about the part where like 8 guys on one small town team get D-1 scholarships?
Nice Guy Eddie (RIP) got one to USC, but knocked up his girlfriend.Steph got one to Cal Poly, but only because Nelson felt bad for sabotaging him.Who are the other six?

Encyclopedia Brown said:
Nice Guy Eddie (RIP) got one to USC, but knocked up his girlfriend.Steph got one to Cal Poly, but only because Nelson felt bad for sabotaging him.Who are the other six?
I don't remember exactly. I was kidding about it being 8. But the QB was going to West Virginia (think) and the small guy, Peanut or whatever, was going to play somewhere too. But hell, even 3 guys on one small town team getting D-1 is enough.

Coach should have had 'Rifleman' just run a qb sneak. Take the snap and follow the center for a 1/2 yard or no gain. Salvucci was a back up RB forced into playing due to the starter being hurt earlier in the year. He had no business touching the ball that late. "6-2 stack monster!! 6-2 stack monster!!"By the by......I love that song "Last Stand" that is playing as they drive to the Walnut Heights game.
No brainer here, there's no reason to mess with a handoff in that situation.

I think they should make a sequel and fix this horrible coaching move.. Same situation, Cal-Poly clinging to a 4 pt lead in a downpour vs NE Ariz Community College.. Craig T Nelson looks at Steph, and states "Not this time".. calls play for QB to take the safety, Cal Poly wins, Lea Thompson runs onto the field with her sax and Steph's baby..

No brainer. QB sprint to the farthest corner of the end zone and wait for someone to knock his block off. So now there's about 5 seconds or less left. Get a clean ball, and have your punter squib that bad boy down the field (or kick it off the tee if your punter really sucks). No way a kid runs in the mud to field goal range with time left on the clock, so if they don't score TD or get penalized it's ovah.And yeah, this is a stupid argument. But it doesn't make my answer any less right...

Last edited by a moderator:
:rant: :nerd: The game ENDED on the fumble. He could have taken the snap and run out of the back of the end zone and the game would have been over.
:bag: I would think they'd still have to do the punt after the safety. But I'm not sure what the high school rules are in PA.
Fair catch at the 40 and a free kick to win it. Odds of success go up with no rush on the kicker.

After the game ending play call last night, one of the first thoughts is that Carroll pulled a Nickerson and/or Wilson pulled a Rifleman.

Wonder if Lynch and Carroll had a "we didn't quit, you quit!" argument in the locker room.

After the game ending play call last night, one of the first thoughts is that Carroll pulled a Nickerson and/or Wilson pulled a Rifleman.

Wonder if Lynch and Carroll had a "we didn't quit, you quit!" argument in the locker room.
Bevell and Lockette seems like they might have...

Users who are viewing this thread